Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: The Democratic primary campaign. It's like love is Blind, but for democracy. And because the last few days saw some major changes in the race, let's catch up on the latest developments in another installment of World War D. All right, let's start off with the major news from Saturday. It was a very important day for former Vice President Joe Biden. And not just because he launched his new line of dentures called Joe Biden's Strong Enough to chew right through Malarkey. No, this Saturday was the South Carolina primary where Biden desperately needed a victory, and boy did he get it.
Speaker 3: Biden's big win. Joe Biden gets the landslide victory he needed in South Carolina.
Speaker 4: Joe Biden trouns Bernie sand in that race to give his campaign more momentum going into Super Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Biden and Sanders are really neck and neck in several of these seats.
Speaker 5: Just days ago, the press and the partners declared my candidacy dead. Now, thanks to the heart of the Democratic Party in South Carolina, I'm very much alive.
Speaker 2: Yes, Joe Biden is very much alive, which isn't something candidates usually need to remind people. But that's still okay. It's a great campaign slogan. Take it, man, just take it. But yes, thanks to the overwhelming support of black voters, Biden isn't just in the race. He's back to being the favorite, which is an amazing turnaround. You know, but that's black people for you, man. Black people can make anything popular again, Like, think about it. Before black people, Biden was losing and then black people came in, and now he's back on top. Before black people, everyone was focused on boobs and then and then black people came in, like how abud butts and then everyone was like, oh yeah, butts.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, Joe Biden's win in South Carolina was so commanding that didn't just put him ahead in the polls, it got three other candidates to drop out of the race. The moderate wing of this party seems to be moving at a pretty quick pace right to all unite around Joe Biden. Abe Klobachar announcing today she will drop out, along with Pete Bodhaj Judge, and Tom Steyer over the weekend.
Speaker 3: Both Buddha, Judge and Clobachar are now expected to endorse former Vice President Joe Biden.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. First Tom Styr dropped out, then Pete Budhajees ended his historic run as the first openly robot candidates. And we all know that once a gay guy sets a trend, white women aren't going to be far behind. So then Clovershaw dropped out too. So so if you're Joe Biden, these past few days are some of the best of your life.
Speaker 1: Think about it.
Speaker 2: For Biden, he's made the ultimate Your opponents aren't just dropping out, they're also endorsing you. And to top it all off, Joe Biden's are now the number two dnches on Amazon. Yeah, right behind the Donald Chumps, best in the United States. But don't forget. Things might be looking up for Biden. But it doesn't mean it's a done deal.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: He still has opponents in this race Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren and billionaire and a booster seat Mike Bloomberg. But the most difficult opponent Joe Biden still has to overcome is himself.
Speaker 7: Biden in a good position, but his campaign is still plagued by more gaffs.
Speaker 5: All right, Chuck, thank you very much. All Right, it's cris But anyway, I just did Chris, No, no, I just did Chuck. I tell you what, man, it needs a back to back look. Tomorrow is Superstar Susdy, and I want to thank you all. We owe these shoos to be self evident, all men and women created by the go you know, you know the thing, Yo.
Speaker 2: This is not good. Just in the past twenty four hours, Joe has gaffed everything from the name of a TV anchor he was talking to to the Declaration of Independence. And the name thing on its own is bad because interviews are sort of like sex. It doesn't matter how well it goes. If you call the person the wrong name. At the end, the whole thing is ruined. I don't know why Biden is still bothering, Like this is why. Like my life hack, My life hack is that I just stay away from people's names, right, I just call everybody buddy.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's way I can never mess up. It's like, hey, buddy, great seeing you, buddy.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then they're like, stop calling me buddy. I'm your mother, and I'm like, you got a chief.
Speaker 6: It just helps you out.
Speaker 2: But that's just a name. That's the name. Messing up a famous quote from American history, Like it's a little worse. It's a little worse than some reporter.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: People, notice that's one small step for man. One medium coffee, no sugar. Now, I know what you're thinking. You're probably thinking, Trevor, if Joe Biden debates Trump, it's going to be a disaster for the Democrats because Trump is going to eat him up. When you think about it, it might not be so bad. Yeah, because Trump is the one person who won't know when Joe has messed up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Joe, Joe will.
Speaker 2: Be on that debate stage with Trump like all men are a creator, you know the thing. And then Trump will be like, that's right, we all know the thing.
Speaker 3: It was a big thing, the biggest thing.
Speaker 6: Nobody knows things better than me.
Speaker 2: Great point, Joe Biden, and he'll be like, thanks, buddy, we'll be right back.
Speaker 3: South Carolina is the first place black Democratic voters will really be heard in this primary. So I hitched a ride to the historic city of Charleston. Here I noticed something. No, it wasn't the Antebellop cosplay. It was the ads that candidates were running. They all seem to feature a familiar face.
Speaker 1: This is an extraordinary man with an extraordinary career.
Speaker 6: Elizabeth understands what I strongly believe. Mister Michael Bloomberg is here.
Speaker 3: So it seems like a lot of white folks think standing next to a cool black person gives them legitimacy. But is it effective? Let's ask my good friend Roywood Junior. I know why you're properly because when you're a hometown South Carolina, I'm from Alabama.
Speaker 1: We'll great check that.
Speaker 3: So Roy and I happily went to Charleston to see if voters notice the democrats brilliant strategy. Have you seen the ads?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've seen the ads.
Speaker 7: It looks like Obama's running again.
Speaker 1: All of them have these commercials now with them and Obama say souff about them.
Speaker 7: It is just the candidate with like Frican Americans, your stance cannot be what Obama did eight years ago. We want someone that's gonna be I feel in that sense authentic every.
Speaker 6: Day when you wake up.
Speaker 1: You want a candidate exactly above all things, who cares about you. You.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is like a good picture with Barack Obama, right, But no.
Speaker 1: No, who think that black people like the white people that got a picture with Obama.
Speaker 3: I've never said that Africa.
Speaker 1: That's what said.
Speaker 7: Listen, you can't ride on Obama's hotel. That's not how we vote.
Speaker 3: Which Canada has the best OPV?
Speaker 1: Break that down.
Speaker 3: Obama proximity value.
Speaker 1: Who opposed to you are of Obama? The more black people like you. That's a funny question because I personally never even considered that.
Speaker 3: Who's got the best OPV?
Speaker 1: Black people don't care about white people in ads with Obama?
Speaker 7: I don't know, because everybody running in an ad with Obama in it right now.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying on behalf of black people. This is what black people want to say. They want to see how people I spend a lot of time around black people ain't with me.
Speaker 5: Well, he's at a table with three bike keep right now. You got to give the brother crit.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much. But even Roy recognizes the power of proximity.
Speaker 1: This is a picture of me with Barack Obama. If you look closely, that's Obama and that's me all the way over there.
Speaker 3: Is that technically even the same room.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's that's Trevor and there's a bunch of white people and then it's me.
Speaker 3: He's like interns. These are Daily Show interns.
Speaker 1: In between you and those are respected people on the show.
Speaker 3: That's an that's an intern. He worked in the Daily Show for a month. Max.
Speaker 7: It just looks like you was just thrown in as a prop.
Speaker 3: It does look like that. She is one hundred percent right. You look Imna.
Speaker 7: Do I understand it? I'm just saying how you look? You look like they, you know, tokenizing you in that picture.
Speaker 3: All right? South Carolina voters are not easily duped by the slick political advertising strategy of my one black friend. But who was breaking through?
Speaker 8: I do particularly like Biden.
Speaker 6: We need healthcare and Elizabeth is gonna get that.
Speaker 1: Done well for me? Definitely Tom Steyer. I'm talking about equality. What you said, his name was tom what was his name?
Speaker 6: Stier?
Speaker 1: Tom Steyer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tom Steyer has a message that resonates and connects with people. Do I follow my heart and vote for somebody like even Tom Steier?
Speaker 1: I mean Tom stey Tom Steyer.
Speaker 2: Tom Stier is saying some good shit.
Speaker 6: Why I've never heard of him? I don't know.
Speaker 3: The words you're saying make no sense to me. Turns out this mythical be spent more money on ads in South Carolina than anyone else. And Styer's commercial doesn't even have Obama endorsing Steier. It has Obama endorsing a woman.
Speaker 1: I heard this voice behind me.
Speaker 3: The name is Edith Child, who then endorses Steier.
Speaker 5: Tom spine up and Trump Goatko.
Speaker 2: I'm Tom Steyer, and I approved this message.
Speaker 3: To find out more about Stier, we went to South Carolina Congressman James Clyburn, who recently endorsed the candidate with the highest OPV, Joe Biden.
Speaker 2: Well, Stier came in. He's he's made a dicey.
Speaker 3: He's made a dice in what way?
Speaker 2: Well, he's spending millions money will make things dicey.
Speaker 8: He's running second or third in South Carolina.
Speaker 3: Now it's what John Styer is running third? Tom Tom, Tom.
Speaker 1: Steyer, Yeah, I think it's Tom right, Tom.
Speaker 3: So Roy and I decided it was time to go see the candidates like Biden and Warren and Tom Stier.
Speaker 1: Tom, Tom, thank you all right, appreciate that you get the chick.
Speaker 3: It was inspiring to see candidates engage with the voters of South Carolina. And finally, in a little church outside of Charleston, we got to see the Tom Stier, and while Stier is just a blip nationally, he does have some intriguing ideas. I think I'm the only person running for president who's for reparations.
Speaker 6: You're slater, Tell.
Speaker 4: Me true, Tom Start, Tom Scott to you guys are so excited.
Speaker 6: You're guys.
Speaker 1: We know this election could go a lot of different ways. And in case it doesn't go the way you want it to go, can I get in advance on my reparations. I'm not I'm not laughing.
Speaker 3: I'm going to do this, guy, I'm for real. These Democratic candidates are fired up, ready to go. We are sure that was to health tire.
Speaker 1: Wait that wasn't, Tom Steyer.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure seventy percent.
Speaker 4: Let's get right to the program indecision. Oh wait, big story this weekend South Carolina Democratic primary. Let's go to the results and historic election, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 6: The winner, Barack Obama. Absolutely historic.
Speaker 4: By the way, this is what the results would have looked like just one hundred years ago. Of course, back then, obviously Hillary and Barack it really couldn't run or vote.
Speaker 6: But what a victory. It just shows this is two thousand and eight. Baby, a strong victory for Barack Obama.
Speaker 3: Today in South Carolina, Barack Obama routed Hillary rod On Clinton. Tonight we saw a record turnout. Tony was unbelievable.
Speaker 1: What a victory for Barack Obama.
Speaker 6: It was a crushing defeat. He drank her blood, He ripped off her head, down her neck. It was unbelievable.
Speaker 3: He destroyed her.
Speaker 4: There is no way to minimize this historic drumming.
Speaker 5: Jesse Jackson won South Carolina twice in eighty four and eighty eight, and he ran a good campaign, and Centor Obamas won a good campaign here.
Speaker 4: I believe President Bill Clinton may be suggesting that once South Carolina went black, it could never go back.
Speaker 6: Is that what your henny did?
Speaker 4: I mean, sure, Jesse Jackson won, but that was the eighty four eighty eight primary, and that was actually a caucus and the Democratic nominee had already been decided. But my point is they're.
Speaker 6: Both black guys. Oh, billy billy, billy, billy baru. What happened to Bill Clinton?
Speaker 4: You know, mister president, people can forgive you having no control over but.
Speaker 6: This, you're wait, hold.
Speaker 4: On this, come on, get some control over that head. Come on, That's what's going to ruin your legacy.
Speaker 5: When's the last time we elected a president based on one year of service in the Senate.
Speaker 4: Yes, not everyone can be governor of Arkansas.
Speaker 7: It is long as Senator Obama got to go through fifteen debates trumpeting his superior judgment.
Speaker 5: This whole thing is the biggest fairy tale I've ever seen.
Speaker 6: Your campaign slogan was a place called Hope.
Speaker 5: Jackson went South Carolina twice in eighty four and eighty eight.
Speaker 6: Your office is in Harlem. You know what, Just get in here, Just get in here. I'm taking it.
Speaker 3: No more trouble.
Speaker 4: How do you've causing trouble? You know, if his wife wasn't running, he be all over Obama. You know what you just I mean, just just to keep them occupied, I mean, just.
Speaker 6: All right. There was even more good news.
Speaker 4: There is even more good news for Barack Obama. Yesterday Caroline Kennedy endorsed them in a New York Times editorial, and today her uncle Theodore granted Obama his blessing.
Speaker 8: I'm proud to stand with them here today and offer my help, offer my voice, offer my energy, my commitment to make Barack Obama the next president of the United states.
Speaker 1: What just.
Speaker 4: What just happened to me?
Speaker 6: Did I just.
Speaker 4: Get inspired by Ted Kennedy?
Speaker 6: Next thing, you know, would be putting a man on the moon.
Speaker 4: You know, it's actually been reported that Bill Clinton called Ted Kennedy in a last minute effort to stop Ted Kennedy from endorsing Barack Obama. Whoa Bill Clinton calling Ted Kennedy. That's a phone call that would have been ripe with comedic possibilities and may have gone a little something.
Speaker 6: Like this, Ah, yes, yes, Hello, this is Ted Kennedy.
Speaker 4: I'm sitting here right now without any pants on, drinking as you would imagine a lot of alcohol. Is I'm calling you because I'm not wearing pants either.
Speaker 6: This is Howard Cosell speaking. I pity the fool right away. If you like that, I don't know hung the Brides of all time.
Speaker 4: If you liked what you saw here tonight, check out my Vegas show Cordless, the mediocre telephone mimicry.
Speaker 6: Of John Stewart next month at.
Speaker 4: I uh, I uh uh, I recommend it. I uh vote quimby all right, I suck at many aspects of humor.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast Universe by searching.
Speaker 6: The Daily Show.
Speaker 3: Wherever you get your podcast. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten.
Speaker 2: Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on fairmounth plus.
Speaker 6: This has been a Comedy Central podcast