Speaker 1: Welcome to Money Making Conversations.
Speaker 2: It's the show that she has the secrets of success experience firsthand by Marketing and Brandon expert Rashan McDonald. I will know he's giving me advice on many occasions. And in case you didn't notice, I'm not broke. You know he'll be interview with celebrity CEOs, entrepreneurs and industry decision make because it's what he likes to do, it's what he likes to share. Now it's time to hear from my man, Rashan McDonald money Making Conversations.
Speaker 1: Here we go. You know, how are you doing? This is Rashan McDonald and welcome to my show. And my show is Money Making Conversation Masterclass. The interviews and information that this show provides are for everyone. I tell you every week it's time to start reading other people's success stories and start living your own. My guest today is a trusted real estate advisor. He is dedicated to the movement of buying back the block and providing financial literacy for generational wealth. Please welcome to Money Making Conversation Masterclass. Randy Lewis, how you doing? Randy?
Speaker 3: Hey, ry Sean, how you doing?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 1: Part of the country. Are you calling from.
Speaker 3: I'm calling from Washington, d c OH.
Speaker 1: I got a brother there. He owns you know, he's a former military army GAI and they got out of the army and got three barber shops and a braide shop down there. So he's doing well down there. So hopefully you're doing just as well in the in the DC area as well, my friend, are.
Speaker 3: You yes, sir? You know, blessed to be able to be in this position and not just being able to, you know, get some income flowing, but also educating our people.
Speaker 1: You know, you're a former college athlete. Which school did you go to?
Speaker 3: So? I played at Youngstown State University in Ohio in the FCS Conference, and then I also played at Indiana University of Pasylvania. I had an extra year of eligibility, so they pay for my masters.
Speaker 1: Now I asked that question because now when you probably played. When I went to college, the word nil did not exist. If you don't know what nil, that means name, image, and likeness. And I went through school with Clyde Drexler, went to school with King Logan and all these people, you know, they just had to operate off their college scholarships. Now you can get paid off your name, image and likeness. What can you are you involved in name illagine likeness when you're talking about generational wealth of financial literacy?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, So yeah, this is a brand new concept. It's very new. When I was in college, you know, I was blessed to have a full scholarship, but you know that was pretty much it, you know, people taking out loans. But now with the name, image and likeness, these college athletes and high school athletes as well, are able to you know, make money off their name, image and likeness. And so I found an opportunity to as I work with athletes, to create a program where we're educating these young athletes on how they can let their money work for themselves because a lot of times, you know, in these industries, you know, these people get the money, they're not educated. You know, they're buying chains, cars, they're not buying assets. And so my goal has been to educate them on ways where they can you know, purchase real estate and set themselves up really for success to where you know, if they don't make it to the NFL, or even if they make it to the NFL or NBA, you know, they are educated, their money's growing, and you know, they're not going broke like these stories that were here pretty often.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when it comes to athletes. You know, the interesting thing about it, and just to just continue down is name, image and likeness, because it really is huge. The Nebraska coach Matt Rule, he said, the going rate for starting college quarterback in Power five is one point five million dollars. That's that's that's what they're paying these college students. Now we're not even in the NFL yet, we're not in the NBA yet or Major League Baseball, but the college football which is driving this and the whole process in there. So help me with that whole conversation is that is that you know you can be in high school. Does high school kids get to participate in n IL is only when they graduate from high school because a lot of kids are exiting high school early to get paid.
Speaker 3: Correct, correct, And it just depends what states you're in. So I'm in here in d C. But as you may know, you know, we call the dmv DC Maryland Virginia, and so Maryland is one of the few states that's actually passed the law where high school kids can actually you know, earn money off their name, image and likeness. So you know, we have some kids who are you know, getting close to one hundred thousand dollars a year and you know, you know, for their name, image and likeness. So yeah, as early as high school, these kids are starting to get money. And it's not always just money. You know, it could be closing cars, you know, cars, you know, different things. But you know these kids nowadays, it's just a whole new era.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it's important that you know, getting a car comes taxes, and that's where you come in, you know, because that's when they run into financial problem. It is that this deal that you may have gotten in a contract you signed, because there have been some scam type contracts even though they're supposed to be tied to legitimate NL deals. It's important to always have the right people looking at your paperwork because I'm just talking to parents right now, Randy. Because you know, it used to be the big game was to make it to the pros. Not a big game really is to be good in high school because you can get paid. Now the game is just to get to college and don't even worry about the scholarship. You can get paid because the scholarship is coming nowhere near what you're making, and some of these colleges they're paying average the offensive line starting office linemen to get like anywhere from fifty thousand to seventy five thousand dollars a year just for are on a good football team. So it really is a process of how you have to really set your child down, your children down, depending on how many people are talenting your family, and look at it from a different perspective, because there used to be then game you had to make it to the pros. But that's not the case anymore, is it.
Speaker 3: Randy, It's definitely nine. You definitely hit it on the nail because for us, it's our approaches to talk to the parents first, because a lot of these kids rely on their parents, and you know, a lot of times these parents aren't necessarily educated and so you know, and they're the ones pushing the kids. Okay, when you make to leave, we got buy me a house and do these kinds of things. So yeah, we're really just trying to educate these kids. As you mentioned, they're making a lot of money just for being on you know, the starting roster, but not only that, their incentives as well. So if they play well, you know, they may get more money. And you know, it's just a lot of times nowadays, some of these kids, it's more advantage for the stay in college as opposed to go to the NFL.
Speaker 1: You know, it's really if it's something that's been trending the last three days, is Dion Sanders kids. Okay, if you just type in Dan Sanders if you're near a computer on your cell phone. Kids. They didn't buy him a house, and these kids are all in college now in ourl deals. They bought him a mansion. Bought him a mansion. That's how much money is being distributed to kids in college that they that his kids can buy him a mansion and not even sweated, not even swe When I saw the picture of the kids, none of them looked like they were struggling when they when they when they were telling Dad this is yours, like they pulled the last dime out of their pocket to put him in his mansion. But that's the world that we live in today, and that's the world we have to understand is available to talented young athletes who used to be you know, you know, because you have you know, pros, you have the G League, and if you're in basketball, you don't have to go to college anymore, just go to the G League. It's just the game has changed so much when you was in college. Do you shake your head with all this money running around now Randy versus when you was at Youngstown?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And you know Youngstown we're Division one, We're a little smaller, but Youngstown is like a big football town. And you know, I have some of my old teammates that are coaching there, and those kids are still getting paid, you know, a good amount of money. And I'm just looking like, man, you know, had I been there around that time, you know, I just imagine what I would have done with the money. But the reality of it is I might not have been educated enough, and so I might have just been blowing my money. Because we did get some money, and you know, we spend that within like two three weeks. So you know, while you're getting the money, just as quick as that money can go, it can come in, it can go. So you know, it's important that they're not just getting the money, but they're sustaining in it, and you know, taking advance of that opportunity.
Speaker 1: H Well, let's educate our audience about who you are, you know, to be a financial expert, be a guy who's out there making these wise decisions for people when they ask them for that type of advice. Tell me your academic background and your experience that allows you to be able to communicate with people about financial literacy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I got a business. I got a bachelor's in administration and business at Youngstown State University, one of the top business programs, and then I had an extra year of eligibility left, so I went to school called IUP Indiana University of Tennsylvania, and I earned a master's and employment and labor relations. So once I was done with that, I moved back to the area and I worked in HR for eight years. I was actually thirty under thirty by Sharham, which is the largest HR association. And you know, through my educational background, my work experience, you know, I worked a lot with just recruiting, benefits, compensation, employment law, labor relations, workforce development, organization development. But I also was a dual career, so I was in real estate as well. So I purchased my first multi family unit building in twenty sixteen, and I went through the program called NACA and NAKA really allowed me to fully understand what all goes into budgeting and purchasing a home. At the end of NACA, I was able to purchase a multi family unit building with no money down. I'm not gonna say no money down, but I put about two thousand dollars down at closing, and I got income generating property where I lived in one unit, I lived run free, and then my other three units. You know, I had tenants in there of cash flow, and then from there it just kind of propelled. I would teach other people. My cousin bought a four unit a few months after I did on my same block, and then my best friend a few months after that on my same block. And then I started educating people, and you know, that's how my movement Block Shoppers came about. And so from then on, you know, we've just been educating people on you know, different ways to build wealth, especially through real estate, and you know, it just become a pretty big movement.
Speaker 1: And that's when we met. We met at a KNACA event.
Speaker 3: Correct, Yes, Achieve the Dream event in La I was actually speaking there.
Speaker 4: I met with.
Speaker 1: Bruce None that if Brewster, CEO of NAKA and NAKA is a program where he's been a guest on my show at least three or four times, and where I bring him on just to talk about you know, he got me when he told me that. And it's true that if you live and you can take your Section eight mortgage payment and turn it into a mortgage of rent six and eight rent and turn it into an actual mortgage payment, which means that you have hon ownership, which means you can build equity in your life and you're not trapped in an environment where you will never have any equity, you will never be able to have pride nor respect about you changing the dynamics of your children's lives. And that's what NACA programs are like. And you're telling me you use NAKA to really start you buying the block program. Huh.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, it changed my life.
Speaker 3: You know after coming out of college, when I was going through NACA, I was making about forty thousand a year, and you know we're in Washington, d C. Cost of living and guy, and you know, NACA afforded me the opportunity to you know, buy this half a million dollar property and you know it's a below the market interest rate. Again, they cover your downpayment, clothing costs with no mortgage insurance. And you know my mortgage was about two thousand dollars and you know in d C for one government doesn't matter where you're at, you know, you it's at least twelve hundred and so you know, you just do the math. You know, that's helped me tremendously. Not only that NACA has requirements where you know, they want you to save some money. So you know, when it was all said and done, you know, I was able to purchase this income generating property, I didn't have to pay for rent, and I still had my savings in tach and so that was a life hack for me. It just put me in a position where, you know, financially, I could if I was just if I stayed true to what I knew and like just continue to build, you know, set me up to just have success.
Speaker 1: Wow. You know it's really interesting when I hear you talk, you know about financial opportunities. How what makes you a believer when when people come to you say, hey, I can I can turn my life around? What turns your life around? Randy into this whole you know, financial literacy. I want to share these values to people I don't even know. I want my community to be even stronger. What changed your value system or was your value system always there?
Speaker 3: I would say it was always there. I may have not had like like a mentor to like really guide me through you know where I'm at now from that stample right away. But like you know, my parents are Haitian. You know, they came to America, were first generation in Haitian. You know, they instilled like education, you know, disciplining myself and my brother and so like that was always a big thing. But just respect and just you know, doing things the right way. And so you know when I got you know, my parents put me through private school, and you know, they spent their last dollars and so just seeing them, you know, sacrifice just so we could have a better life. You know, that kind of puts something put a fire on me to like return the favor not only do them, but I just think naturally just people that look like me and just trying to find ways to help others. And so you know, it just allowed me to you know, have that mindset and here we are now. You know, it's I'm passionate about it. I don't have to fake it. It's just something that I want to do. And so I think, you know, when you're authentic and organic in your approach and you know you have a passion, you know, sky's the limits.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm talking to Randy Lewis. He's a real estate advisor. He's buying back the block. Now, when we come back, we're going to find out is every block a viable block in your neighborhood?
Speaker 4: Slee, don't go anywhere. We'll be right back with more Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Welcome back to the Money Making Conversations Masterclass, hosted by Rashaan McDonald.
Speaker 1: My guest is Randy Lewis. He's a first generation Haitian American, a real estate advisor, trying to change the neighborhood with advice, with financial advice. And when you're out there telling people, what is the most skeptical because everybody's a skeptic. You know, even this story you talked about Naka and how you you don't making forty thousand dollars a year and year and a half me a dollar home and you know you get a low interest rate, and there's your mortgage rate. There's two thousand dollars a month, there're skeptics out there. People do not believe that now in our community, does skepticism stop us from being successful? And I've talked about our community, I'm talking about the black community.
Speaker 3: I think it does. And you know, unfortunately, like with lack of education, you know that that makes that it has a huge impact. But you know, for me, I try to educate people. We're now in the digital era, like everyone pretty much has the phone. We can you know, look things up now with AI and everything, you can literally find an answer for everything. And so you know, we tend to have skepticism, but you know, I try to, you know, be genuine. I try to share real life experiences. I'm big on testimonials, So if I'm helping people, I ask them. You know, you don't necessarily have to tell your business, but just let people know, reassure people that you know, this is possible, and just by sharing your stories, you know, it might just take You might relate to one person, you know, and that could make a big difference, because oftentimes when you see somebody who looks like you, sounds like you, you know, it can tend to have a better effect. But oftentimes I am faced with you know, criticism, but you know, thank God for social media and for me, you know, my I have a big residence on there and so a lot of the work we do, you know, we highlight our clients and we share success stories and I found that helped combat with the skepticism.
Speaker 1: So you're constantly marketing your brand and using social media new technology. They said, what of the people who use social media have mobile phone? So I'm assuming that you're reaching a young audience.
Speaker 3: Correct, definitely young audience. It really depends what platform you're on. But like even like you know, the older folks, you know that they'll be on Facebook and things of that nature. So I mean, for fortunately for me, you know, a lot of my clients range. But you know, social media has a big impact. Most people when they first wake up, that's the first thing they do to grab their phone see what's going on. So you know, it's important, you know, to use those kind of platforms to reach you know, those demographics.
Speaker 1: Now, let's let's talk about buying the block. You know there's Mike Apps has a TV your own called Buying Back the Block. He does with his wife, goes in and buy block blocks there in his community. I know, I'm from fifth Ward and some APECU graduates went into fifth Ward, Texas and Houston, Texas that's where fifth Ward is located, and start buying back the block within the fifth Ward community. How does that work? How do you how is the strategy behind buying uh? Community blocks within the neighborhood? What is the strategy Randy?
Speaker 3: Uh? You know, first and foremost you want to be around somebody that's educated as doing it. But really, you know, it's just looking at areas typically, you know, it's the areas where you know our people are in and you know, looking for opportunities. A lot of these areas, you know, the there's not many resources, but you know you can see there's potential for growth. So for us, we're looking at areas and we're trying to find products that will allow people to purchase in these areas. So again, NAC is a great tool that we use where I try to educate my people. It doesn't matter where you're at in life. You know, again you mentioned earlier how you'd be on section eight and you can go through a KNAC a program and buy a home. So as opposed to renting, you know, why not buy a home even if it's in an area where you know they're redeveloping or it's not quite there yet. I found, you know, just from my experience. You know, when people own something, there's a more sense of pride. You know, they're more willing to take care you know that that asset. And so you know, we we're looking for areas where you know, we can put our people in, no matter where you're at, no matter you know, how much money you're making. We're looking at areas where we see, you know, they're not strict zoning. Zoning means like regulations where you know, if you want to build up or you know, try to you know, redevelop those areas, maybe create jobs, you know, put mixed use and commercials type of properties. We look for areas where you know the zoning isn't as strict. Areas where there's public transportation. You know, those are the areas where you know, we really want to focus in on, because especially if people don't necessarily have the money, they may not be able to drive to public transportation that's used because they got to get to and from work. But really just finding areas where there's opportunities where it's not too expensive and you know, teaching out people.
Speaker 1: You could buy them all, right, right, but it's important for the word buying the block, because buying one house on the block could really be eject detriment to the plan. Because here's the here's the thing. There's a note that I knew because I you know, the opportunity is presented to me. I didn't move forward on one of the wrets in my life because the gentleman came to me. He said, hey, we're going to knock on all these doors on this block. It was a block, literally was a block, and he said, this is why you do it because this and this was in the city of Houston. They said, by buying this block, the city of Houston wants you to buy the block because once you tear all this run all these people out, because that's what's going to happen. You're going to run out the people who can't afford what you're about to do. And so that why by increasing the value the homes, then the property tax can be increased. If you increase the property tax, that means the school tax can be increased, which means that your kids are going to get better educated in that community. So it has a lot of value in it when you're buying back the block, because it builds the community. It brings value back in the community, and that's really what really really is important when you're talking like this. Now you have coming up in twenty twenty four a Generational Wealth Expo. What exactly is that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so this would be our second annual one and it's really just an expo where we're bringing in some of the most influential people in the industry.
Speaker 3: It ranges from real estate to life insurance to you know tech. You know, we have people estate planners, tax advisors, and we try to create a one day event where you can come in there and it's a one stop shop where, you know, if you're interested in entrepreneurship, we're giving you the tools and resources to be able to you know, succeed. And you know, we last year we did it in Ward eight in d C, which is, you know, probably the worst war. And our goal really is to like bring light into our communities. We had Matt Garland from Earn Your Leisure. We had Henry Washington and bigger pockets. We have some really dynamic individuals. Lindsay Smith one of the best insurance brokers. They all came out along with myself and others just notable people, and you know, they just poured into our attendees and really the goal is to help people understand how you can build generational wealth no matter where you're at, you can get started and you know, you can put plans in place. And it's really it's a really great time where we just really educated our people and we sponsored returning citizens. We gave them opportunity to hear from some of these experts. We had some high school kids and really just trying to create, you know, opportunity where people are inspired and ready and have a road map.
Speaker 1: And this would be in the DMV area, Washington, DC, Maryland, Virginia area.
Speaker 3: I'll go to Washington, d C.
Speaker 1: Before we go, we have a caller and I want to take this call before we end the interview. Kevin, Kevin from Atlanta. How are you doing? This is Rushan mcdonaland Randy Lewis is calling in on the show.
Speaker 6: Do you have a question, Yes, gentlemen, how are you all? I have two part questions. One first question is there is an empty lot in my neighborhood and I've been maintaining keeping it for the County. I've gone and talked to them about trying to purchase it. Is there any other ways that I would because they told me I would have to pay all of the back taxes that were old on the property if I wanted to own it. And then my second question is that in my neighborhood there are several houses that have been purchased by these major companies, these major military companies, and they're putting people in these houses that and they're charging them high mortgage rate and most of them can't afford it. And the last that we had some squatters, but they're not doing anything to enhance the neighborhood. They're bringing down the value of our neighborhood. What is it or can we do anything to block them or get them out of the neighborhoods.
Speaker 3: That's a great question. So the first question you had mentioned.
Speaker 1: It was a vacant house in this neighborhood, but there are back taxes on it. Anyway you can get the house without paying the back taxes?
Speaker 3: No, not for miness then.
Speaker 1: As universal know there, Randy, that's a universal.
Speaker 3: No right from you know, I would not let that you. I mean a lot of times we think about doing things individually, But why not you know, maybe reach out to some other people on your network and see, hey, can we you know, collaborate together great of fund, you know, work together to purchase it collectively. So I would think, you know, if you can't come up with the fund yourself, maybe trying to you know, find other people that can help you.
Speaker 1: And let me slide in on that stay on top of that house because that house can come up for auction and you don't want to miss out on that. And don't keep like I said, keep egleizle that land. And also the history on it, you know is who owns that land all those things because sometimes when when you don't have to pay the taxes on it, somebody is it's the community would say, or the state or the city say, you know, we're just gonna get what we can off the property. So don't let the fact that it has you know, a tax land on that land stop you from considering it. And it will never be a possibility, but they are going to want some form of tax payment to release that property for sale and a lot of times gone to auction. And your next question was about people who are basically not so much squatters. But you know, be this big corporation or just coming in and you get the commercials, you have to tell us, we just buy your home online, just we'll, we'll, we'll, we'll give you a price, and if you move in and the house sale goes up, we'll give you the difference. These people are taking over communities and he wants to know how can that be stopped or he's just gonna be a frustrated person in his community. Randy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's a trigger one as well. I mean, because at the end of the day, you know, people are squads and squatters have rights in a lot of states. So it's just a matter of going through the core process with that, you know. It's it's it's a matter of I know, for people who are falling behind on their mortgage and stuff, there's a lot of different HUD programs that may allow them to you know, get back on their seat because you know, throughout it, a life happens and we don't really know what's going on, but you know, and that's why it's important to when we're buying these homes, we educate ourselves what's the best product. Like programs like NACA where you know, they're making you really go through a process to see if something's really affordable. So, you know, I think that's really the best approach in terms of like trying to get them out. There's not really much we can do now.
Speaker 1: Loans, they on their property, loans, they don't fall behind in the payments. Unfortunately, the you know, home ownership does give you a lot of rights, and squatters kind of can take advantage of that because you can't do anything physically to get these people out because they have rights. As soon as they get avanaged on the doors, they have rights. Their rights can supersede your rights. Correct.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but the issue that we're having is that it's like these companies from Arizona, outside of States, right, they're purchasing these houses and the mortgage that they're charging these folks are the type of clients that they're getting. They're not doing any type of vetting of them.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 6: You can see that these are people who are running a credit card scam to get a place to sleep night, and they're not making any improvements on the house yard. And now it's bringing my.
Speaker 1: Your value down and making you disappointed every time you come home. Thank you, Kevin, Thank you Randel Lewis for coming on Money Making Conversations Masterclass. My friend, We're gonna talk soon, okay.
Speaker 4: Thank you for joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Money Making Conversations Masterclass with rough Shan McDonald is produced by thirty eight to fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight to fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight to fifteen media dot com. And always remember to lead with your gifts