Speaker 1: Hey, this is Annie and Samantha and welcome to steff I never told you production of iHeartRadio, and.
Speaker 2: We are coming back with an additional episode of women's magazines and Dot Dot Dot because well, I have elongated once again a very wide broad subject into several episodes. It's not going to be the same amount as religious trauma episode. Thank god, it's not going to be twenty thousand. I think I'm going to keep it at a succinct three, okay, because I have topics in mind, and with that, if you haven't already, we would suggest going back to our earlier episode on the history of women's magazines, because we kind of break it down on how it began, what it looked like, all of that, and even the problems back then. Because for today, we are talking about the state of women's magazines slash publications today, and I do see publications because obviously they're like the handheld copy of a magazine is less and less and you're more likely going to see digital, which, funny enough, I kept running into paywalls because I need to call somebody about that because that was an issue anyway. Yeah, Annie, did you have do you have currently or did you have at any point a favorite magazine or did you even have a subscription.
Speaker 1: I looked this up because I knew we were going to be talking about this. I didn't have a subscription. I bought entertainment weekly, not infrequently if it was a movie or a celebrity I like. I had a subscription to Disney Adventures, which was kind of a small magazine format. You're not seeing what I can do, but like imagine, size wise, most magazines are like eight by eleven.
Speaker 3: This one was sort of a third of that.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's probably way off, but it was smaller, and I think I got it. I originally subscribed to it because I loved the Ulsen twins and they were somehow they were featured in it quite frequently. But I remember very vividly, and I don't know if we're going to talk about this in this episode of the next but Ryan Gosling was on the cover one time as young Hercules, and I had the cover. I took out like all the relevant pages and saved them. But it wasn't him. That's that's not why I started subscribing. It wasn't him, But I did save all of those and I remember the cover.
Speaker 3: So clear now.
Speaker 1: I mean we do use a lot of magazines for work. I think I'm still in the same, Like, if it's like a Star Wars magazine, I'll it. I went through a big I think Entertainment Weekly is pretty like it's been the same. I have a lot of friends who like seventeen, I went through a Time magazine period.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's more like if I see something like, oh I really want that, it's less about a subscription thing, right.
Speaker 2: I remember Time magazine covers like nobody's business. For some reasons, those stand out. Kudos to the art director and the photographers because they would do their thing to make sure they would stand out. But then, like, I never had a subscription when I was growing up, my friends did, so I would go over to their houses and we would just go through the magazines and then like talk about them. I want to say, like, I was really into music more so than anything else. I remember distinctly a picture of Salt and Peppa because they were one of my favorite groups when I was in middle school, so I remember seeing them a lot. But I never really had any magazines. Again, my mother had Southern living in her house, and I think she had good housekeeping in her house. And I think some of these subscriptions were fundraising subscriptions.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: What I'm talking about. Like I remember, like that used to be a thing way back when you could buy wrapping paper as school fundraisers. But also you could buy subscriptions of magazines for a good deal, seventeen dollars for a year subscription, so that's twelve magazines.
Speaker 1: I brought this back a stressful memory that I'd forgotten because I was one of the kids that would try to sell those wrapping papers.
Speaker 3: It was the worst. I hated it. It's like I'm a failure. I can't sell anything.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, there was this episode. I don't know if anybody watched Parenthood at any point in time. They are now gone, and there's some problematic things in that whole show, but I really enjoyed it. And one of the big episodes was that the kid was selling the Christmas paper for his baseball team to get uniforms and such, and he forgot and didn't do it, and so he already had the paper, which was odd to me because that was not the thing you had to do it sign up for or whatever. But like uh, he yells at his mom for not being rich enough to just order it herself and not have to sell it. And I remember thinking that was a thing. The parents would be rich enough that they are the grandparents would just buy it all and they wouldn't have to worry about it because it was so stressful. It's like, what is this anyway? Wow, that's just yeah, on the whole tangent on that one. But yeah, subscription magazines were a thing as well. And really I remember it being way back when in some movies that there were door to door salesmen. He would sell these as well. So it was a thing. It was a racket, and now it kind of has become a whole different thing with the digital world and print may be dying. Slash kind of is we all love it somehow. But with that some context, now that we're actually talking about magazines, y'all, before we begin, we are going to be talking about body and fat shaming as well as body dysmorphia and sexual content in this episode, So Happy Valentine's Day well ahead of time. Also, there's a lot of backlash that came out against women's magazines not too long ago. The other there was a whole reckoning in like two thousand and twenty ten. Uh. But also a lot of our information comes from then, so it is fairly dated. Like I said, it looks like more people were likely to look into how the magazines have become or can become more feminists or empowering. So that's good and that's more recent, but in like the late nineties. Also we have some articles from the late nineties, so yeah, this is pretty dated nineties, early two thousands and twenty tens where we're talking about the problems with magazines and women's magazines specifically.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: So just that heads up. I think they still hold up because the same argument is repeating itself, and there was a lot of like overlapping of social media and magazines as well, so when we talk about it, especially when it comes to like teen stuff, it may be interchangeable. A lot of the research that we saw from like thesis and research papers again come from the late nineties and two thousands era, early two thousands era, because again, like I said, there was a big record and'll be like, why are we doing this? Why are you still doing this? You' all have a problem. So it's good to see that that happened. It's sad to see it's still happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ignore right now.
Speaker 1: A lot of when I'm checking out the grocery store, a lot of the times, all kind of magazines, I'm like, wow, still.
Speaker 2: Okay, y'all, there's the cabbage diet. Cabbage soup diet is still really big, apparently because I love cabbage soup. I don't do it for that sake, but I would try to find the recipe. All the articles have it, and I was like, what, I just like cabbage soup. What's happening anyway? Yeah, and it's something to note that the print in itself has faded and moved towards digital or online, and we'll probably talk about that in the last episode. I'm going to say the next one is the last episode.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to convince yourself it's.
Speaker 2: Going to happen. I've narrowed it down to the two specific subjects so I don't vary, so.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, we'll see, we'll see. I would also say, go check out our episode we did on fanzines because we did talk about some of this stuff in there. Yes as well, but yes, okay, women's magazines today there are. Yes, a lot of women's magazines still and according to the Library of Congress, they estimate quote more than seventy five thousand periodicals are published each year in the United States and Canada alone, and that number swells to over one hundred and twenty five thousand worldwide. Consumer magazines alone account for more than twenty thousand North American titles. Women's magazines have consistently ranked in the top ten magazine categories. Of course, this includes all the different types of magazines and the articles from twenty twenty three, so the numbers are not quite exact, but it's big.
Speaker 3: I would say it's still pretty close twenty.
Speaker 2: Two eight, yeah, three, ten years ago or a month ago. We are going to kind of just delve into this ugly side of women's magazine. So, like we said earlier, the women's magazine industry has already had some shakeups and revamping what they are doing or how they were portraying women overall. And we mentioned this later, but yes, this is all cis heteronormative. Just go ahead and put that there. Okay, Unfortunately we will kind of dapple into it, but not really. So this is the way they focus it is making sure, women are women, and I say that sarcastically and not with that belief in that conversation and that type of statement, and that women all want a husband. Again, obviously not what we think so but this is how it's going to come out. But again, we can't ignore the massive impact they have had overall in general to society. We talked a bit about the way early periodicals transformed women's fashion and encourage women to become more in tune with their habits and housekeeping, but it would continue to influence women, specifically when it came to body image, which quickly became a moneymaker for I think all of the magazine is not many, I think all of them. Yeah.
Speaker 1: In fact, according to a thesis done by Jamie S. Nobles from the University of Southern Mississippi in twenty fourteen discussing the depiction of women's body image and magazines from nineteen fifty two to night teen ninety five, and it talks about how advertisements within magazines changed over the years to influence women. They talk about how body types and models changed throughout history and also why that might be. Here's a quote. The hypothesis stated that the depictions of women would shift from curvy to thin women, but most of the magazine advertisements depicted women as fit slash average in the nineteen fifties, and the ads moved on to lean models as the years progressed. Although actresses like Marilyn Monroe were curvier and were thought to be sex symbols, the models in the magazines did not reflect her type of voluptuousness. There were fewer depictions of full figured women in the magazines than any other category. Most of the models were fit slash average until the nineteen seventies, and then the number of lean models spiked. Of the one hundred and eighty images viewed, lean was the most found model size, with ninety of the one hundred eighty models perceived as lean. Fit slash average had the second highest number, with sixty six of the advertisement scene as healthy athletic build.
Speaker 2: Okay, of course, as voluptuous and curvy as Marilyn Monroe was, she would not be considered a plus or large size. In fact, her waist size would have been more like a small or even an extra small, and one site said even smaller than that, like it wasn't even on a category of what we would see today. And though she was medium at the top, according to the clothes that people that the researchers have measured, and her hips, and she did have hips, she would not have been considered plus size today at all. Again, many want to claim that because they says she wore size sixteen, she wears six sixteen, that they accord to French clothing, and most of her clothing were tailored to her. But yes, she was curvy, sure on a different standard. Like that's that's a whole different conversation. I think waste size was typically twenty four inches small, and it got as big as maybe twenty seven. And from what I also found, like it says that she uh probably weighed from anywhere from like one hundred and four to one hundred and fourteen, and the most you's ever gotten was one forty And for her being I think five to four that's not huge, that's not plus size. Let's just we just we're just gonna put that there in Some of the changes in who was being advertised or what was being advertised actually has a lot to do with trending diet culture. Diet culture has been around for a long time, to the Greek days. They said because the whole athletic look and all of that, and is a money making machine. We've talked about this with like influencers and all of that. This is a money maker according to different reports. Uh And I will say I was very confused and maybe I don't understand the verbiage between like value market versus whatever else, because the numbers were everywhere, So I was like what And again this could have something to do with they only had something that was specific to weight management versus things like food, which even though they may not be diet culture, they use and use that influence anyways, like milk probably could still be considered that level as well. So who knows. But with that estimated value of the dieting industry, slash market is as high as over four hundred billion dollars and seemingly increasing every year obviously, although it did take a little bit of a dip when a few years ago the whole body positivity became more popular and more accepted, which I miss But then we now have the usage of products like ozimbic, which is being used as a cure all for weight loss and a giant money maker as well. It's no secret that the magazine industry has had a hand with grown this specific culture. Here's another quote from that same thesis. So why did women's bodies depictions should from fit average to lean? The researchers believes that the key to that is the fitness exercise boom of the nineteen seventies. By the seventies, Americans awareness of fitness grew, and with that the role of exercise in American lives expanded, and exercise became part of the recreational pastimes. Jogging was one of the most popular forms of fitness. For example, the New York Marathon, which had previously only had approximately three hundred participants in nineteen seventy two, expanded to include more than eleven thousand competitors in nineteen seventy nine. With the influence of the Women's Movement and Title nine, an act that imposed gender equality in sports opportunities in educational organizations, a large number of women took up sports for the first time in the nineteen seventies.
Speaker 1: Right and it continues. The average size of men and women continued to rise during this time, and obesity numbers exploded in the nineteen eighties. As food is made more readily available, a fewer people cook at home, turning America into a fast food nation. Because of the fitness boom and the increasing waistband of Americans, the diet industry takes off and by the nineteen eighties is a multi billion dollar a year industry. Within the structure of that industry, there is a great deal at stake to keep women hooked into the obsession about their beauty, their weight, and their dieting practices. Advertisements that show women who are impossibly thin and beautiful despite their rising obc rates are showing women what they should aspire to become. Women try to achieve the impossible, and so they buy the diet products that only guarantee a temporary solution to their weight problems. When the diet is over, the women will most likely gain the weight they lost plus some. The women then see the perfect women in the magazine adds and experience body dissatisfaction and decide to purchase more diet products. Thus an endless circle is created. The fact that diets do not work is the best kept secret in the diet industry. Only long term lifestyle changes will help women to lose weight and stay healthy by presenting an ideal difficult to achieve and maintain, the cosmetic and diet product industries are assured of growth and profits. The shift the researchers saw from fit slash average women to lean women could be rooted in an economic ploy to keep women reaching for the unattainable.
Speaker 2: Right, And I think that's such a big emphasis. This is a ploy. Yeah, which why the back and forth fat diets are huge. Atkins not a sponsor does not want you to keep that weight off. They want you to continue to buy their products and tell you that's the only way you're going to maintain that way.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: There's so many things, of course, and we're going to talk a little bit about this later, Like this can also create dangerous habits, which is really really unfortunate for later times. And I will say I bought into this and sometimes still do still do because I am so insecure and I've been taught I need to be skinny, and skinny means being a size three, which is impossible for me, like it will never happen, but for some reason in my head, I must, And therefore the pills that I see on self magazines is definitely gonna help me. It is not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, it's really it's effective. Get it in your head and you think, well, if I just do this and do this, but I remember doing it, especially like in college.
Speaker 3: And it was exhausting. It was exhausting, and like the payout wasn't much.
Speaker 2: And that wasn't I grew up hungry in high school and college, and I am so sad that I missed out on food. Right, I literally ate pasta and that was one time of day. And I still I think I've trained myself so badly to not eat that I don't eat. And I know you know that level as well. I've gotten better about it. I've gotten better. But if I'm busy or if I'm overwhelmed, that's the first thing to go, yeah, because that's something I can control. But we know that's so with unattainable goals that continue to motivate tempt women. Other very specific magazines also came into play. Magazines like Shape, Women's Health, and again Self and other such magazines are riddled with adverts that promise the perfect body in a short amount of time. According to another research paper that was published in Turkey, the influence of magazines like Women's Health and Cosmo continue to not only perpetuate the perfect body, but also the idea that perfection is only found within westernized standards. Here's the quote from that paper. The magazine often advises women to watch their weight all the time by eating certain light mils and drinking certain healthy drinks, helping to detox the body. Nevertheless, the magazine often shows dieting as such an easy thing which women do not have to worry about by getting into stress. As Kim and Lennon, which was a researcher previously, have mentioned. However, dieting is in fact a painful thing, especially for women who have excess weight. Therefore, the magazine always puts ideal beauty standards in front of women, and it expects them to reach those high standards by looking good and young. Therefore, the female readers are implicitly advised that they need to groom, shop, diet, do fitness, and take care of their bodies to preserve a perfect image that is related with that white ideal beauty. And that's we don't really talk about this at all in that level. We do talk a little bit about the fact that it is oppression, This type of culture is oppression, but the fact that the majority of what we see are all until recently, like Kim Kardashian and like hip hop stars have kind of changed that a little bit. I feel like Korean pop stars have now brought it back to this Western idea that you have to be skin a skinny skinny, as one woman was quoted saying, being wraith like is ideal, and I think that's kind of the issue. And by the way, we also are not talking at all about the cosmetic industry, which, like I said, I picked and choose because we did talk about that before with influencers and such as that. But yes, the other if if there was a chart, I'm sure it was like forty five percent diet culture of forty cosmetics and ten percent good luck fashion.
Speaker 1: I'm just kidding, yeah, fashion, because I if you want to go back and listen to some episodes we've done. But like things like shaving, that was largely due to the fabric that was popular at the time, and it was advertised magazines like if you want to wear this fabric, you have to shave. So a lot of things like that and also oddly enough past the co host leave it was Christian Caroline. It was a long time ago talked about Barbie. One of the reasons Barbie is so thin, it's cheaper to make clothing for someone who's very thin, right, So it's also very beneficial for the fashion industry.
Speaker 2: Right in general. And that's the part is that we also don't talk about this, but I found an article upon article about talking about the fact that being in this die culture, being thin gives more advantages to this idea of thin privilege, gives more advantages to those who are thin, typically white as well as Yes, it's cost effective because the clothing is cheaper as well, because for some reason, anything that is beyond a size eight needs to be ten dollars extra, if not fifty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and they should be. We'll put a big asterisk on that because there's also been things that are like, what are you doing It's not really yeah, but anyway, that is there what they.
Speaker 3: Have said, Yes, yes, yes, okay.
Speaker 1: But to go back to this research article we've been quoting, they continue with this warning, however, the women who over exercise and diet unfortunately engage in unhealthy behaviors such as eating disorders as a result. In other words, the magazine expects Turkish women to transform their bodies to a lighter size and resemble the Western ideal of beauty, which not only means culturally assimilating the curvy body, but also anticipating to invite diseases such as anorexia or bolimia in the long term.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah, you know there's been cultures where I'm like, yeah, these are my people. I want to be here because my body looks more like them. Yeah, and they like me better because of that.
Speaker 1: I have to say, I unfortunately witnessed this in other countries where people will tell me, oh, I'm not going to eat for a couple of days, and I'd be like, what, like, oh, yeah, I need to lose weight, and they would just say it and I would be like, oh.
Speaker 2: Oh right, this whole level with again, like Europeans, no hate to any Europeans, but like they will talk about the fact that they can't they can't look as big as Americans or whatever whatnot, and so what they do is not eat for a few days and that's absolutely normal. Like that's like, that's so sad, don't you miss it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Also, like no offense, I've done it, but it is not gonna last.
Speaker 2: It's not gonna Yeah, you're only causing yourself trouble and headaches, literal headaches. Yes, And while we are here, let's just remind ourselves that though we are coming back to the idea that dieting is good and being skinny is the only way to exist, yes, it's a sarcasm, it's not, And that this movement in itself is anti like just anti everything in so many ways. Yes.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: From the National Alliance for Eating Disorders. Diet culture quote encompasses the collective beliefs and practices that promote the pursuit of weight loss as the ultimate marker of health and wellbeing. It is a pervasive force that permeates various aspects of our lives, from media portrayals of ideal bodies to the messages we receive from friends, family, and even healthcare professionals. Diet culture often emphasizes the importance of adhering to strict eating regimens, promoting quick fixes, and advocating for the thin ideal. It's based on fallacies like one food is better than another, People who are thin are healthier, people who are thin or more attractive. Higher weight bodies are a result of poor health choices. Individuals have full control over their health and appearance right.
Speaker 2: And in that article it talks about health ism, which is this narrative which a lot of healthcare professionals have done, which blame everything on being overweight and ignoring the actual health and problems, and it is anti obviously. There was an interesting TikTok video too of this young young baby girl who calls herself a life coach saying that tomatoes make you fat. That was it and she I think was trying to say when she was apologizing later on was everybody went after her, was that it hurts her stomach and because of the ascid and they're like, that's completely different. That is completely different from they make you fat. Okay, calm down. But yeah, so with that, I mean it's it's cultures like this that feed into that kind of narrative. And yeah, this culture literally demonizes fatness. And again this is from the National Alliance. With this connection to Christianity and morality, which we didn't talk about. We did kind of talk about being the perfect housewife. That means having the perfect body. The thought is the whole keeping the body clean and holy or keeping it yeah, and keeping it tight for your spouse like they meant to you can't be getting that pot belly. I've heard that said. Literally a pastor, a preacher like his last name is Graham, apparently he's there is the founder of Grant.
Speaker 3: Dont on this whole subject, oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: But he was one of those that preached this idea that our body and being skipping a meal is for God. Of course we didn't talk about this in the ruligious trauma God I just haunts me, I swear. But yeah, the idea of fascinating which wasn't holy idea for sure, but is used by many people to lose weight.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and we have discussed this before. This is ingrained in our culture to a point that I think a lot of people don't realize. We've had listeners write in and be like you were saying something terrible like people should lose weight, Like okay, but just real quickly, Graham created Graham crackers to like stop people from masturbating.
Speaker 3: Yes, and he told me does yeah.
Speaker 1: And now he hated sugar and he basically thought you should like not experience food really if you really sin, it was a moral issue.
Speaker 3: And now grabcrackers.
Speaker 1: I'm so much sugar in them, and it gives me joy.
Speaker 2: I wonder what his family thinks of that legacy.
Speaker 3: I mean, if they're getting the money, they probably don't care.
Speaker 2: I mean, but like, are they ashamed of that legacy or are they what I mean, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 1: And it's also like you know, I do get joy out of it, but it is we also have a kind of whole issue with sugar in this country and what's added, so you know, but it does give me joy that he's like in his grave.
Speaker 2: Different conversation, But f y about Graham crackers, because what do we do but go on tangents. In the first rate, my teacher, who was one of my favorite teachers, would have us give us graand crackers and then give us frosting and let us cover it with frosting and candy, and that would be our snack. And boy did I frost both sides.
Speaker 3: I mean, you use it to build gingerbread houses.
Speaker 2: And it's great, it's true, but I remember that snack like nobody's business, thanks miss right. And with that, this this diet culture actually supports system of oppression. So when we say where it is anti I mean it's anti uh, it is anti black. And we've talked about it before, how this movement, how uh, the fat phobia is real racist ideals, especially when it comes to oppressing people and who it oppresses and how they use it against people of color, specifically black people. It holds up the patriarchy because once again, this is for the sake of men, oftentimes the way you look, especially when we talk about looking your best for your husband, for this, for your for your next day, for prom all recipes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: And then it reinforces once again the idea of thin privilege, which exists. And people may say, like we talked about have we ever talked about pretty privilege and thin privilege?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Again, it's a weird thing though, because I know we talked about it on the video series.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Okay, Okay, maybe we need to come back, because that's like it keeps coming back around in that conversation about who gets what and why and who gets the raises and who who gets hired? And these are those conversations. Yeah, and it's an industry that has made billions of dollars on things that don't work or that don't last and are not realistic, and uses your insecurities based on what society dictates to you is good or is the best?
Speaker 1: Yes, and it's It can be heartbreaking when you know someone who's doing it and they're like eating this one food and they'll tell you, like, I've heard this one will work.
Speaker 2: Right according to this magazine. I got these recipes and I'm going to stick to it. Yeah, two almonds for breakfast, and I'm like that measuring stuff.
Speaker 1: Wow, Oh my god, Oh my god, and the alliance ends with quote. This diet culture fosters negative body image, and it perpetuates unrealistic beauty standards and a serious weight stigma. This toxic mindset contributes to body dissatisfaction and low self esteem. Additionally, diet culture significantly increases the risk of developing eating disorders, as the obsession with food restriction and control can trigger disordered eating patterns and severe psychological distress. The harmful impact of diet culture on both short term well being and long term mental and physical health is the stark reminder of the urgent need to challenge and dismantle this harmful ideology.
Speaker 2: Right, So, yes, that's not necessarily about magazines, but just the reason why we think this is probably and even though it seems harmless to have five exercises to tone up your abs. It does contribute to this culture. So just as a reminder, be careful. Oh and with all that out of the way, let's talk about how magazines in general have really really influenced women in sex and the different ideas. Yes, again, if you're hanging out with kids on this one, we're gonna read some things. I think it might make you blush.
Speaker 1: Annie, I'm like pre blushing just thinking about it.
Speaker 3: So I believe you're right.
Speaker 2: So FYI, you might want to pause and take the young one out or put EarPods in, however you need to. And I have to admit that, as someone who lived in the world of purity culture, I believed in it.
Speaker 3: Y'all.
Speaker 2: Annie, I didn't tell you this. My mother brought over a tubfull of my childhood things. She's moving me out officially, for real, for real. You've got a house. Taking this right, and in it on the top, I find a certificate. It says marriage certificate, and it is my marriage certificate to Jesus WHOA So when I say when I say I was in that culture and it is pristinely kept, my mother made sure that it was kept all perfect on top, unlike unlike me living in sin today, which she has accepted and loves my partner. But anyway, when I say yes, I lived in that purity culture, I honestly didn't know much about sex until probably late twenties. And though of course I understood the general concept. Yes, I have seen things. I've seen movies. I would often turn to different magazines like Cosmo, like Glamour, Red Book and even seventeen to find out what men liked. Yeah, yeah, those those got me. Those articles got me. If I had a question about oral sex, I would often see an article and in those magazines, and I would try to take as many notes as possible. Annie, Yes, I heard did like, oh you do this and that, and that's why that seems weird. But okay whatever, And I know I'm not the only one because that sold. I will say that that like we might have hidden in and we might have giggled and not said it out loud, but we sure did read it from relationship advice on how to keep a man wanting more. Magazines were a reference source for so many, so many women. In fact, magazines are often how young people would educate themselves on those embarrassing or even panicked situations. Margaret Singer was actually arrested in nineteen fourteen for her book, but also for her articles in The New York Call that covered topics of sex, birth control, and STIs for so many people who desperately needed that information.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: And later in nineteen sixty, after the debut of the Playboy magazine, which is a whole different conversation, the magazine featured its Advisor column, offering advice not only on sex, relationships and life as well. And by the way, according to a Vice article and a podcast released by iHeart and Crooked Media titled Stifft, the first ever erotic magazine for women was published in nineteen seventy three by the same dude who started Penthouse, Bob Guccioni, which was titled Viva, and according to that article, they quote paired feminist writing from women like Betty Friedan and Erica Jong and stories on anti rape groups and female circumcision with full frontal male nudity and frank sex advice as the first erotic women's magazine and embodied the fight to push forth the conversation about women's sexuality amid the patriarchal influence of the decade.
Speaker 2: And in that article is including the actual creator, Bob Guccione, who we know is interesting. And though it was acceptable for with gay magazines at the time to talk openly about sex and relationships, it wasn't so much for ladies magazines. It took a little while later for the first one to pop up in nineteen sixty five in the Cosmo magazine the then editor in chief Helen Gurley Brown, which she has a really great quote about why wouldn't every woman want to be a feminist? Which I was like, yes, come on, now, she may have been one of our people's, kind of a white woman of our people's, but you know what I mean. But she was the then editor in chief, and she revamped the magazine from being geared toward housewives to more so single career ladies and published an article on birth control pills in her first credited issue of the magazine. So she was ready to go. She was ready to go talking about all these things, and more magazines started following suit with the articles written by the opposite sex to teach the other sex how to satisfy or how to keep their relationships attacked. So Oftentimes they would feature men to tell women whatever the advice was, and then vice versa. For men's magazines, they would have women come on and give advice as well, so you know things happen. Many famous examples are still talked about today from Dear Abby, which is more wholesome, but did have questions about relationships that she would talk about to writers like Candace Bushnell from Sex and the City fame, who wrote for The New York Observer in her advice.
Speaker 1: Here's the quote from get Me Giddy dot com, which is the sexual health related site. Thank you, Samantha for having me say this. In the late nineties and early two thousands, less historically raunchy women's magazines began adding sex to their usual topics of coverage in order to attract more readers. Ladies Home Journal printed its first Behind Closed Doors sex column in two thousand, and Red Book began running it sex column Red Hot Sex that same year. Soon sex wasn't just a topic reserved for magazines known for their edginess. It was an expected part of mainstream women's publications. Men's magazines underwent a similar shift, with magazines like Esquire and GQ, both founded in the thirties and originally focused on fashion, increasingly covering sex.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah, So I was just really excited that you got to say the name of that site, get megiddy dot com, which some of a really helpful site. But I was like, what, And because I can't resist a good read through of ridiculous things, here's a few of the worst sex tips Annie, he's already blushing. Of the worst sex tips from women's magazines, according to Mackenzie Z. Kennedy, who blessed us with these quips seven years ago. So as a seven year old post for Filthy, So here's one. Bring your lover on your food shopping excursion. View it as sentual foreplay. You can have a lot of fun caressing and gently squeezing foods and inhaling their aromas. The conversation should be entertaining too, And I will say, I guess aie, you had a kind of related thing with food, so maybe maybe.
Speaker 1: Also look go back to your episode we did on the movie Fresh.
Speaker 3: Sometimes this doesn't work out, oh lord.
Speaker 2: Because they didn't have all the grocery sing, didn't they? I forgot about that. Okay, here's another one. Make two fists around a shaft, and twist them in opposite directions as hard as you can under this advice, Kennedy wrote, this really bad sex tip has been inspiring people to write about bad sex tips because it's literally telling you to give your partner an Indian rugburn on the most sensitive part of his body. I don't think that's comfortable. The next one is firmly hold the bottom of his shaft in one hand and slowly push it towards the base. Imagine you're pushing his penis into his body. So again, I don't know if it's that effective. Here's another one. Take a tennis ball and roll it with a slight pressure between his shoulders and over his butt to help him release pent up sexual energy. Got to bring a tennis ball into it.
Speaker 3: I guess you're too lazy.
Speaker 2: To do anything else. And then the next one is very softly bite the skin of his scrotum. I feel like they could go very wrong, very very wrong. You maybe he enjoys it and it says, And lastly, making him a snack after sex. It doesn't have to be a gourmet mill. A simple grilled cheese or milk and cookies will do.
Speaker 3: A simple grilled cheese or milk and cookies.
Speaker 2: You know, the level of like it just boom down to serve him. Thanks, and this will make it go make a sandwich woman. I'm so sorry for that. It's true, but it's essentially that a statement I feel like. So yes, of course we don't. We're not to get into all of it. And I'm sure, again this is seven years ago, so I can't imagine what else is out there. I wrote some of these nows. I actually I've heard the shaft ones just so you know, which I think is quite hilarious. It's such a romance novel term that is fantastic. And again, though weest with some of these ridiculous bits of advice, there is a real concern with some of the information that is being spread. Although on the positive side, having popular publications open up conversations about women learning to enjoy sex or learning to explore sexual desires is a plus and for a long time unheard of. It has helped to destigmatize women's sexuality and even taught some men about women's anatomy that they may not have understood. Hello Glitterius. But there have been problems as well. According to one article, some feel that women's magazines aren't celebrating being sexually open, but rather pushing women to have degrading sex and calling it IMpower. Now, I'm gonna be transparent here. This article that I found written in evmagazine dot com seems as I was reading it seems to be leaning very heavily into the more like coming back to femininity, and it kept saying that idea, which seems to be code for like a conservative media, conservative think tank. I think I do think there's a point here. Young girls are given an embellished idea that they're being told that everyone and every woman enjoy wild sex and are scared to set boundaries for themselves. So I definitely think that's a conversation where we don't have enough of that. We've come so far sometimes to being sexually liberated, which is amazing, to forgetting the part about consent, which we have talked about previously in Boundaries. That was one of our book clubs too. Of our book clubs actually wasn't it Come As You Are? And the Ace book as well, because we have not really pounded that into the head of like what consent? When can you stop? And all those conversations and being kind of so open to the idea that we're not communicating to the younger generations of what that means. So I do think there is some thought to that, as well as the fact that women are told this is what's happening, and this we were all doing this. Like I've heard so many stories of men asking for threesomes and they don't want necessarily want it, but being told this is what people do so they just go with it, and being uncomfortable with it, so all of those things. I think it definitely has that point. So many of the magazines lean into the pleasing a man idea, so confusing liberation to non stop sescapades again, and the fact that you have no choice or you have no power to say no to any of these things or to stop, like even if you were enjoying it to a certain point and being able to have that communication. So I think that is a big conversation of that. But the article I'm referring to here also had an article titled porn turned me by sexual and ruin my relationship, So I feel like that's very yeah, weighty and very obvious, as well as how to catch a husband, So you know, watch out what you read. They had some good points. I will not discredit that there. I would not take everything they said as right in fact, so just on the notes.
Speaker 3: Yes for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So coming back to the original point, there is misinformation that can happen with sex advice given from a magazine article. As one writer states in Dame Magazine, a walk through social media can illustrate just how deep the notion that women aren't big on sex or orgasm runs. While women fake orgasms, says a common meme, men fake entire relationships. Other prevalent humor suggests that the best way to turn a woman on is through house cleaning, unless a guy our gal does so, naked mopping induced arousal is unlikely. Stress relief is important, of course, and if helping the chores or other tasks alleviates it, terrific. But I've noticed significantly more stress inducing this in the context of female sexuality than girlfriends complaining about dirty dishes. And yes, this is talking about the whole women having orgasms thing, which we have discussed before at a links. And though this article was written in twenty fifteen, we are still talking about that and finding that misinformation today.
Speaker 2: I mean, men are getting on podcasts saying women don't have orgasms, so or can't have orgasms, that's not biological. So you know we're still having that conversation. Yes and yeah. As we mentioned before, there's both good and bad when it comes to the sex relationship bets within magazines, and research seems to back that up. According to Kristen Mark, who was a therapist and professor, after doing a short survey and readthrough of a popular women's magazine, specifically Cosmopolitan, she concludes these findings suggest that women's magazines such as Cosmo has potentially mixed effects. The impact is potentially problematic when women, after brief exposure, are less likely than those exposed to the control to believe premital sex intercourse is risky, though it doesn't have to be risky. Use condoms, practice negotiation, communicate with your partner, and make sure it's consensual. But the short term impact of Cosmo can also be empowering for women when after brief exposure, they're more likely than those exposed to the control to believe that women should be assertive in prioritizing their sexual desires for their osake, but not for male partners.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I think it's also important that again, we have no like, we don't have good sexual education in this country. And you know, places like Florida are banning the Dictionary because it has the definition of sex in it.
Speaker 3: So if you have something like this, it can.
Speaker 1: Be it can be really like you never hear about it, and that's kind of it's unfortunate because it can be problematic, but it is also okay, maybe I can like this thing, So yeah, I agree, it's sort of a there's pluses and negatives, and of course if you couldn't tell yes, this is very heteronormative. The lack of information and advice offered to the queer community was very blatant, going back to that get Me Giddy dot com article, they wrote. In the years following the publication made a point to include more empowering and inclusive sex articles with LGBTQ perspectives and advice geared toward feminist Glamour similarly did away with content focused on what guys think, including a columnist by the name of Jake to emphasize sex advice focused on women's empowerment, and they continue Still the LGBTQ community has been largely underrepresented in sex advice columns, though some writers have recently stepped up to fix that. In twenty seventeen, John Paul JP Brammer started the sex and love advice column O La Poppy in Out magazine to provide guidance to queer people who don't have the same access to information about their sexuality online as straight CIS people. Secy Blanchard similarly began her column MTF and DTF to talk about the little discussed experiences of dating and sex from a trans woman's perspective.
Speaker 2: Right In research paper titles Narrative Analysis of Sexual Etiquette and teen magazines, the authorites other than brief mentions of masturbation in seventeen lesbian dreams in Mademoiselle, bisexual men who put their field partners at Risk and Glamour, and one story in Mademoiselle about a woman trying to save a gay man from being gay. We found no representations of homosexuality or masturbation that indicate these could be appropriate expressions of sexuality. While there's also nothing which condemn these sexual expressions, their absence could be seen as very limiting or isolating by young women with these interests. Again note this was actually written in nineteen ninety eight. So yeah, when I say some of these are really dated, they are. But the lack of information is something that should be recognized and is oftentimes not seen in larger publications. Like we just talked about the get megiddy dot com was like a twenty twenty article, so it's not been long and it's still very unrepresented. And the things that we do see are specific to queer culture instead of being in the popular publications. And that article is obviously specific to teen magazines as it was titled. Like I said, I have read my fair share of sex and relationship advice from different teen magazines, which we will delve into in the next episode. And honestly, again, all this information is a bit overwhelming, with a little with very little to offer in like all the contexts, the way we have to search for things is within itself. A lot of times they call themselves outs. I will give them that, like Lamberer will call themselves out. Cosmo has called themselves out. You know, they've really changed their tone in the last five years, which again it's gonna be about in the next episode, but for today, we're going to pause here. And yeah, I have done exactly what I didn't want to do make a three part thay. Apologies y'all, but hey, this is good stuff.
Speaker 1: I like how you say three part shut it.
Speaker 2: I'm determined.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Well, finally I'm gonna finally reveal the countents of my Ryan Gossling shock, and.
Speaker 3: I'm very excited.
Speaker 2: Is sitting on this outline taunting me?
Speaker 3: Oh it's chaunting me too, daunting all of us.
Speaker 2: Well, if you have any.
Speaker 1: Thoughts about this, I mean, we would love to hear them. I think I might go flip through some of my I still have some magazines. Oh, just see what's in there.
Speaker 2: I have to find some quizzes from those old school magazines, because there's some I remember taking those, like what kind of man are you supposed to be? With all those? I gotta find one of those.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I think the old Horo scipts could be fun.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those like like fashion like flow chart things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, us color salads.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll have to come back maybe for a Monday mini.
Speaker 2: Not not not part beautiful.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I will help you with this.
Speaker 1: Well, listeners, if you have any thoughts about any of that, or like, yes, any old magazines you want to share or magazine. Memories you want to share, please let us know. You can email us at Stuff Media, mom Stuff at iHeartMedia dot com. You can find us on Twitter at mom Stuff podcast, or on Instagram and TikTok at stuff I Never told You. We have a tea public store and we have a book we can get wherever you get your books. Thanks, it's always to our super producer Christina or excited to producer My and our contributor Joey. Thank you, Thanks to you for listening Stuff Never Told You the production of I Heartradio. For more podcast from my Heart Radio, you can check out their heart Radio, Apple podcast or where you listen to your favorite shows