Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg day Break Weekend, our global look at the top stories in the coming week from our day Break anchors all around the world. And straight ahead on the program, The Cavalcade of earnings continues on Wall Street and we take a deep dive into two closely watched companies. I'm Tom Busby in New York.
Speaker 2: I'm Stephen Cawen in London, where we're taking the temperature of the European oil and gas industry as we head into another week of big name earnings reports.
Speaker 3: I'm Doug Prissner looking at what the lunar New Year festivities will mean for the Chinese economy.
Speaker 1: That's all straight ahead on Bloomberg Daybreak Weekend.
Speaker 4: The business news you need to wramp up your.
Speaker 3: Week available on Apple, Spotify, the Bloomberg Business App, and everywhere you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Good day to you. I'm Tom Busby and we begin today's program with the world's biggest media company, Disney, reporting earnings this Wednesday, and boy, there's a lot to unpack there. Production still catching up from last year's twin with strikes, What to do about the ABC network and other non core units unprofitable streaming TV services, activists, investor Nelson Peltz's proxy battle with Disney's board, news that it's selling off most of its Indian broadcasting unit, and a real setback in Disney's feud with Florida Governor Ron DeSantis over control of the municipal district in Florida that includes the cash Cow theme park Disney World. It's a lot, and for answers, we turn to Getha raganathin US media analyst with Bloomberg Intelligence, and Getha, what is the headline? That's a lot? But what do you expect to see in disney second quarter earnings report?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Disney is a very very complex story, thom as you pointed out, and I think you know what we're really looking to see. There's no one specific catalyst, per se, but I think the sentiment for this talk has definitely turned and there's there's there's a variety of factors that play here. I think you have some real positive commentary coming out from them. In terms of cost cutting. We are seeing margin improvement and we're seeing improved profitability at the streaming business. Now, remember that there's still losses going on there, but they're better or they're less bad than feared, and I think the one thing that really kind of stood out and has investors kind of excited going into fiscal twenty twenty four was their free cash flow guidance. And they're guiding to whopping eight billion dollars in free cash flow, which kind of takes them back to pre pandemic levels and really supports the stock.
Speaker 1: And that is good news streaming. I know they've been counting on several properties, including ESPN, Hulu, Disney Plus. But it's not all good news, is.
Speaker 5: It for Disney Not at all. There are a lot of challenges that remain and you alluded to this just a short while ago in terms of at least the linear TV networks. You know that there is secular pressure on that part of the business. They are to you know, dispose of some of the networks, and I think that's that's the right thing that they're doing, especially as far as their India unit is concerned. But they have to kind of articulate a much better strategy for some of the US properties, the most famous of them of course being ESPN. Now this is you know, the juggernaut when it comes to sports networks in the US, but it is a cash cow it generates about three billion dollars in EBITDA. But there has to be a clear strategy from Disney in terms of the future of ESPN and how and when it goes over the top.
Speaker 1: Now, also there was talk last time, I think we spoke about Byron Allen making a ten billion dollar bid for the ABC network. Now that was obviously turned down, but is there any movement in the selling of that what is now a non core business for Disney.
Speaker 5: It is definitely a non core business for Disney. But actually after you know, there was initially some chatter about Disney maybe wanting to sell out some of its linear networks, including of course the ABC broadcast network. But after that, Bob Iger has kind of walked back the talk on, you know, the sale of the linear networks, and he has to be I think, really careful as he orchestrates any you know, any sale of assets, especially the linear networks, because again, remember they do definitely want to hold on to ESPN. That is a core property for them, a core brand name for them, and most of ESPN's revenue is tied to the linear networks. So they need to do it in a very very careful way and it's it's a very tricky balancing act for Bob Byger, and so I think he realizes that he does need to hold on to some of the linear networks for just a little while longer before he can kind of figure out a viable strategy for that entire TV network business.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk a little bit more about Bob Biger and some of the challenges he's facing, especially from you know, try and fund managements. Nelson Peltz and his proxy fight with the board and in essence with Bob Iger is not so triumphant return.
Speaker 5: So I mean, this I think is a little bit of a distraction, I would say for the company. I mean, yes, we have Nelson Pelts, and he does make some fair points in terms of the stock price being very challenged. And of course there are a lot of things that Disney has to do and they have done that. Of course, one could argue that, you know, it maybe needs to be done even faster, and maybe even more needs to be done. But I don't necessarily see Pels having articulated anything specific that Disney hasn't already come up with. So he spoke about most recently spoke about you know, bundling ESPN Plus with Netflix. I mean, the Disney bundle is one of the most successful products out there in the streaming market right now. So it's going to be really interesting to see what exactly Pelts has to offer in terms of suggestions for Disney that you know, they haven't already that they're not already working on, or they haven't already come up with. But I think otherwise kind of having him, you know, lingering and having this this proxy battle is just an unnecessary distraction for for Disney's management team, right Yeah, and it.
Speaker 1: Keeps going on. There's always something Nelson Beltz has to say. Boy, Well, one thing I want to talk to you about, and I don't think you and I and we've talked before, have ever really talked about is the theme parks, which seems to be just a constant source of income of revenue theme parks and cruises. Does it still continue to be the cash cow for the company that it has always been?
Speaker 5: It absolutely does, And this is where you know, one really has to wonder, you know, if you just kind of look at Disney's you know, income statement, sixty five percent of this company's profits comes from the theme parks. And yet investors continue to obsess over ESPN, continue to obsess over the linear TV networks, you know, even though they don't make up such a big portion of the company's revenue or profits, and so that's kind of really baffling. But anyway, going back to your point, you know, parks absolutely are the key growth driver for Disney in the coming years. They're planning to invest about sixty billion dollars in their parks busines is over the next ten years or so. And what we've seen is, of course, after the pandemic, we saw this huge rebound in the domestic parks, you know, so much of pent up demand, continued growth, a lot of cost efficiencies, operating margins touching record high levels. And now what we're seeing is we're seeing a lot of tailwinds actually coming from international parks, so you know, all of them are open and running right now. We've seen price increases implemented across the board, and we're seeing international revenue growth that is extremely strong as well as of course you mentioned the cruise ships. So we have five cruise ships right now for Disney that are in operation, but you have three new cruise ships that are coming on board from twenty twenty four through twenty twenty six, and so that is going to contribute significantly to the profit of this segment.
Speaker 1: It just never seems to amaze me how many people who will go to those parks and take those cruis as well. Our thanks to Geetha raganathin US media analyst with Bloomberg Intelligence. Geita, thank you so much. Next up on the earnings calendar is Uber teen Technologies posting its latest results this coming Wednesday, and for more on what to expect, we welcome Bloomberg Intelligence Senior technology analyst Mandeep sing.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: Uber has been on a roll demand for rides, up, food delivery, up its share price more than doubling in the last year. What do you expect to see in its results this Wednesday?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Look, the mobility segment, which is the driver of profitability for Uber and it's driving all the optimism, continues to do very well. We're talking about, you know, above twenty five percent growth and that has been the case for the last three quarters. It's going to be the case in the holiday quarter, the four que that we are talking about and going forward. Also, I feel Uber mobility has an advantage in the sense it's gaining market share from Lyft, which isn't executing very well and it's actually struggling in terms of the supply side. So there aren't as many drivers on list platforms as they are on Uber right now. And we know with marketplaces, supply growth really makes a difference. If your supply growth keeps up with demand, that's very healthy for the marketplace. So net net mobility should continue to do well even in twenty twenty four, even though the comps get tougher.
Speaker 1: Now, is this a return of the business consumer people going back to work, needing rides all round?
Speaker 7: I think the thing about Uber is because they are a verb, and you know they have that one hundred and fifty million monthly active users. They cater to both airport rides, which are more business rides, but also the consumer rides where people are just using that more and more. And for a while, there was this kind of expectation that with inflation, people are going to cut back on the rights because there is that elasticity when it comes to you know, prices going up, people will take fewer rides. What that has done is really helped the inflationary aspect has helped Uber on board, more drivers on the platform. So in a sense, it's brought down the prices for Uber rights because their supply growth has been so good and people need supplemental income and Uber is one of the best platforms out there. If you want to work for two hours, you can earn decent money.
Speaker 1: That gig economy really has boosted. Now let's talk about something where there is a lot of competition, not just Uber, but food delivery, and you're up against some pretty big names when you're Uber eats, and what's the prospect there?
Speaker 6: Yees?
Speaker 7: So look, I think Uber delivery definitely is not a category leader like the mobility side is I mentioned how Uber is executing so much better than Lift on the mobility side. On the delivery side, door Dash definitely has an advantage in the suburbs. It has had that for a while now a few years. And what Uber is trying to do is to expand in multiple categories. So they have added grocery convenience and all kinds of other delivery that they could tag on to that online food delivery. And to me, the value proposition is a bundle. So Uber has really emphasized their Uber One subscription, which is like mobility plus delivery plus anything convenience, and it all comes with a nine to ninety nine subscription per month, which is quite attractive. If I had to go for a door Dash subscription that just does food delivery and grocery delivery, or an Instacart subscription, Uber is more attractive because it covers right sharing as well. So from a bundling perspective, I definitely see that value proposition and it is working. You can see the delivery take rates are getting better because of this bundling aspect. And they're layering ads as well on the platform. So the ads is the other kind of profitability driver.
Speaker 1: That looks like a big growth market the ads.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and that's where scale matters for a marketplace like Uber. As long as they maintain the scale through the supply acquisition I mentioned, as well as you know the bundling and the frequency of rides, they have an inherent advantage over all the smaller players.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, our thanks to Bloomberg Intelligence Senior technology analyst man Deep Sing and coming up on Bloomberg Day Break weekend, we had to Europe for a look at upcoming earnings from several energy giants and the possible impact of the Israel Hamas war is having on the industry. I'm Tom Busby and this is Bloomberg. This is Bloomberg day Break weekend, our global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. I'm Tom Busby in New York. Up later in our program, a major holiday kicks off this coming week and what that could mean for China's economy. But first, after Shell kicked off, earning season for the European oil majors will be focused on totel energies and BP in the coming days. Apart from their financial performances, questions remain about how the industry will respond to growing efforts to meet net zero targets and ongoing disruptions in the Middle East.
Speaker 8: For more.
Speaker 1: Now, let's go to London and bring in Bloomberg Daybreak Europe banker Stephen Carroll.
Speaker 2: Tom The big oil companies have spent much of the past four years grappling with existential problems from geopolitics to climate change. Record losses during the pandemic turned into record profits two years later. Activist investors have come and gone. Big oil's post pandemic playbook has been simple. Take cash from rising oil prices and hand it right back to shareholders. The challenge this earning season is to avoid missing expectations, but crude prices were down twenty percent in the final three months of last year, so that's easier said than done. In Europe, Shell kicked off the season with a big beat on adjusted net income, coming in a billion dollars higher than had been expected. Add to that another three and a half billion dollars of share buybacks. Here's what the Shell CEO, Whales Sauan, told Bloomberg's Tom mackenzie about the company's plans for further returns to shareholders.
Speaker 4: What we're guided to is thirty to forty percent of our cash flow from operations coming coming back to shareholders, so shareholder distributions. What we saw in twenty twenty three is we were slightly above the higher end of that range at forty two percent. As we continue to deliver the strategy, the whole point and the whole focus of the strategy is creating more free cash flow per share, So we will continue to stay within the thirty to forty percent or thereabats through the cycle, but continue to create the capacity to be able to reward our shareholders, as we have done in twenty twenty three and as we hope to continue to do in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 9: Okay, so you have the cash flow, you have the balance sheet. Many would look at that and say you are ready, you are primed for more M and A activity. Do you expect to be more active this year when it comes to mergers and acquisitions?
Speaker 4: Our focus is very much on delivering the first sprint that we announced. We are essentially just over two quarters into what is a ten quarter sprint, and what we have identified is that actually the largest value opportunity for us is in just unlocking the full potential of this company. And so while we will continue to look at bought onsto our current port for you, we expect to stay within the twenty two to twenty five billion dollar capex range that we have guided to, and we will continue to look at preferentially going after buybacks because, if I'm honest with you, Tom, the most attractive opportunity to allocate capital too in the sector I think right now is to buy back our shares at north to fifteen percent free cash flow yield, and that is with a company that is actually building the momentum that we have. It's not about buy for us, and that's why we're focused on ourselves from now.
Speaker 9: Okay, let me get your view on the on the oil price. We've seen gains and oil of about seven percent through the month of January. There is this tension, it seems, between the question whether that's softening and the geopolitics. How do you see that evolving in the months and quarters ahead.
Speaker 4: What we see at the moment is the market is well supplied. The demand has been remarkably resilient in twenty twenty three despite multiple headwinds. The supply side is the bigger question at the moment. Questions around ope cohesion, questions around how sanctions might play up. You'll have picked up, of course, a potential increase of sanctions against Venezuela and Iran, potential enforcement or tightening the enforcement of sanctions against Russia. All of that, I think is raising questions around the supply side. Not to mention the slide slowdown in the growth of the shales patch. All of that I think is just creating a bit more of tightening in the overall market, and we'll see how that plays at but a lot of it will be based on geopolitics more so than anything else.
Speaker 9: At the moment, the gas trading desk once again knocking it out of the park, doing very well, putting a very good performance in Is there anything that derails the strength that's coming through from the gas trading team.
Speaker 4: I think the Q four was indeed an exceptional quarter for our trading and optimization organization. We saw the opening of east west ARBs through the quarter and we had length as we typically do in the Northern Hemisphere winters, and that allowed us to take opportunity to take those opportunities and create real value. What you have seen so far this year at the start of twenty twenty four is the ARBs aren't as wide as they were, so less running room there and prices.
Speaker 2: Have come down.
Speaker 4: I think with fundamentals being reasserted now as you see a better storage balance in places like Europe and Asia and a milder winter.
Speaker 9: How do you see the lergy outlook or demand outlook kind of evolving and changing as well? Given the economy's growth is slowing, rates remain relatively high, the inventories are well filled here in Europe, What does the picture look like in terms of demand for LNG So far.
Speaker 4: We're in balance from what we see, But the biggest determinant of demand growth I think will come from China and how China responds through twenty twenty four, early signs are positive. While China hasn't essentially fulfilled with some people had expected coming out of COVID, they continue to grow and we see the LNG growth LNG import growth continue in particular at these lower prices now that they are able to buy at these levels, and so that's going to be a big determinant. What's I think key in twenty twenty four is there isn't a lot of new supply coming into the market, and so as you go back into stock refilling after the winter, I suspect you'll see robust demand. So for the coming year year and a half, I think there'll be some good demand. I think one thing to keep in mind in the medium term is China again will draw a lot of gas. To give you a sense of that, just in twenty twenty four and twenty twenty five, the volume of natural gas power generation capacity that China is building is equivalent to the entire installed capacity in the UK today, and that's just China China's built out, so there will be.
Speaker 9: A look at demand for energy is What is your reaction to this decision by the Biden administration to pause the build out the licenses, the approvals for export facilities LNG export facilities in the US. What's your reaction. Does it put any of your investment plans in the US at risk?
Speaker 4: I think the short medium term there will be very little impact to the LNG markets. What it does is it undermines confidence I think in the longer term when it comes to US l G, which is which is a real shame given the world demand for LNG is going to continue to grow and the US is the largest supplier of LNG today, So a pause like this can can always create more uncertainty, in particular when you're looking at long term investments. That and for example the behavior of venture glid Global in the US to not honor the contracts towards its off takers, all of that just undermines confidence in USLNG at the time when the world, including here in Europe, really need the stability of energy supplies.
Speaker 2: That's Shell's CEO ay Al Sauan speaking to Tom mackenzie discussing some of the big issues facing the sector as we look ahead to the next set of results in the coming days from BP and Total LG. Very interesting to hear his comments on the Biden administration's move to pause approving new LNG export facilities. That's something that came up at an industry gathering in Florence in recent days as well, the Begger Hughes Annual Conference. This year's theme was Energizing Change, addressing themes of affordability and sustainability. Our energy reporter Laura Hurst was there. I've been speaking to her about the atmosphere at the conference and whether she felt it was an industry that was ready for change all.
Speaker 8: Certainly there was quite a lot of buzz around LNG hydrogen and other new new low carbon rules, but there was not much love for the Biden administrations announcement last Friday that said there'd be moratorium on l G expert so a lot of backlash. They're in the room and basically a lot of the gas producers they're saying, this is the transition field that we need, and this is well, it's going to replace coal. So it essentially criticizing the administration for what looks like a political move.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Peny, you of focused on those policy shifts and how they're affecting this sector as well. When we think about the reporting that we've had from Shell around their earnings, is that a strength that we're likely to see in this earning seasons across the sector as we're looking ahead to the next set of oil majors reporting.
Speaker 8: Well, it really depends which company you're looking at. So for example, Shell, much of their beat was thanks to their gas trading. They had what the CEO called an exceptional quarter on gas trading, and Shells Tears like BP have quite a big, big trading unit as well, so it could be reflected there. But there are a lot of other areas which aren't looking so bright. So for example, chemicals, chemicals for Shell was down almost by a billion dollars Excellon. They've got a very big chemicals unit, so we're likely to see weakness there. So it's a bit patchy, And of course in general commodity prices are softer than they were this time last year.
Speaker 2: How are these companies when we think more broadly adapting to the energy transition as well, Laura, this is something that we look out for details of of how it affects their business when we gets earnings updates. But I'm keen given that you've been having those conversations at the Baker Hughes conference as well as you're reading us where the industry is now.
Speaker 8: Well, so you've got, on the one hand, the American majors that's on Chevron, who pretty much for the last few years to have stuck to their guns of oil and gas, saying, this is what we're good at, and we're not going to, you know, go into ash or win because that's where we're going to make money and that's not where our competency lives now. Shell and BP they both kind of went down the renewable route that have pivoted back to oil and gas as of late, so there's definitely a retreat there to Talentgy is probably the one that has a little more of a footing in the renewable side, with quite a big focus on power generations as well as having a very big print in the eland G market.
Speaker 2: One of the other factors that these companies are all having to deal with, as well as disruption to shipping in the Red Sea. How much is that a factor that we should be watching out for as we continue to look through the season of earnings results.
Speaker 8: Yes, absolutely, I mean it's an important trip point. At the moment, the industry is managing that they're shipping around the cape or rather the hon of Africa, and so at the moment it's kind of being managed. And while swan the video, Shehell said, they're also looking at other things like swapping tankers from one region to another. So at the moment it's manageable, but it's definitely something that could overstill into the wider region and could become more of a problem.
Speaker 2: This is something, of course, we'll continue to be looking for details of in these earnings reports as well as we look ahead to you you've mentioned BP and some of the sort of factors will be watching in their results as well when it comes to total Energy or other majors in the sector too. What are the other themes that you're going to be watching for as we get the next set of results.
Speaker 8: Well, definitely anything that talks to demand, because demand is looking a little bit weaker at the moment. We saw that again this morning from Shells results that product results were a lot softer than they were a few quarters ago. So that's something that will definitely be looking out for and on guess demand. You know, we've had since the rest invasion of Ukraine's gases obviously had some very volatile quarters and so far this winter has been quite soft. We've had a mild winter, so inventary levels in Europe were quite full.
Speaker 2: That's our energy reporter Laura Hurst. And of course we will have full coverage of those next set of earnings from the big oil companies BP and Total next week on Bloomberg Radio. I'm Stephen Carroll in London. You can catch us every weekday morning here for Bloomberg Daybreak Europe, beginning at six am in London and one am on Wall Streets.
Speaker 1: Tom, Thank you, Steven, and coming up on Bloomberg day Break weekend. The Lunar New Year kicks off at the end of the week. Could the holiday usher in a new wave of consumption. I'm Tom Busby and this is Bloomberg. I'm Tom Busby in New York with your global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. The Year of the Dragon is upon us. The Lunar New Year falls on Saturday, February tenth, but it's the pre festival spending patterns that will give some hints to the state of China's economy, and for a preview, we turn to Daybreak Asia co host Doug Isner, who spoke with Shirley Joo, Bloomberg News reporter in Hong Kong.
Speaker 3: Tom the travel rush for the Lunar New Year holiday or Spring festival has already started. A key question is whether Chinese consumers are confident enough to give a much needed boost to the domestic economy. For a closer look, we're joined by Bloomberg Shirley Joo, who covers Chinese conglomerates, including companies focused on consumers, gaming, and telecommunication. Shirley, thanks so much for taking time to chat with us. I want to begin with the fact that as we enter the Year of the Dragon, I'd like to know a little bit more about the Year of the Dragon. What is it known for.
Speaker 6: Well, actually, the Year of the Dragon is supposed to be a year of particularly good luck in China. So you see more babies being born and you see people typically spending more than usual in the Year of the Dragon. So there is expectation that the recovery this year would be faster than last year.
Speaker 3: So a travel as we know, is obviously a big part of the story when it comes to celebrating and being with family and friends. Are the expectations pretty high this year?
Speaker 6: Well, I think for domestic travel in China, the expectation is certainly high because we've seen last year, even though you know, China's economy was slowing down and people spending power has declined and the consumer sentiment wasn't that good, travel was really one of the bright spots in China last year. So the expectation is that the trend will continue this year. People, you know, because they don't want to spend on any big ticket items and the demand for international travel is just starting to pick up but still pretty weak, so people tend to you know, seek entertainment and leisure for during domestic travel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the most recent data that we had on the PMI services for China showed a bit of an improvement. It was small, but it may have been kind of a leading indicator that people are expecting some of the services industries to do well during the holiday period. Is that a fair statement.
Speaker 6: Yes, services industry, especially experience led activities. For example, last year, we saw the box office doing quite well and we saw people typically spending on food and drinks, like they're buying beer, going to restaurants, they're going to second tier or thirdier cities for barbecue and yeah, people tend to I think during an economic slowdown, when the outlook is still not very certain for a lot of people, they tend to splash out on just instant gratification activities.
Speaker 3: So when you look at things like ticket prices or movie tickets, are prices generally higher than they were a year.
Speaker 6: Ago, well, definitely, if you you know, buy China standards, movie ticket prices in China now would be higher than a few years ago, but the increase isn't that much, and generally ticket prices in China is still fairly low. For example, we're talking about fifty yue for seeing a movie. That's why a lot of people from Hong Kong, which is neighboring you some inland Chinese cities like Shinjin. A lot of people are going to Shinjin to watch movies because it's so cheap.
Speaker 3: When we looked at the latest activity data for the month of December, I think the unemployment rate was around five percent. So has there been an urge among companies in the services industry to bring back workers. Now, at least on a temporary basis.
Speaker 6: I think the demand is certainly picking up, and I think the reason why we've seen a lot of Hong Kong people going to Shinjin to shop and spend on entertainment partly is because the service industry there performs much better than in Hong Kong. And I've heard that that's cause because there because there were a lot of layoffs, the youth unemployment was pretty high, so people just went to Shinjen and started their started up their own businesses like street food stalls and restaurants are able to hire younger employees, and they typically are more creative and they you know, provide better services to customers. And that's one of the reasons why a lot of Hong Kong people who are used to the sort of subpar service quality in Hong Kong because you know, it's a very cut throw, very fast paced city, they feel that the service quality in Chinngin is much higher, so they all flocked to Hinjin to shop and to entertain themselves.
Speaker 3: Surely, one of the other destination points that I think of is Macau. Obviously, gaming a big part of that story. How do you think the gaming companies, the casinos will do this year during the holiday period.
Speaker 6: Well, last year for casinos it was a great year, so people sort of expected, you know, the recovery would do quite well. But actually the performance of Macau casinos exceeded the expectation. And I think it's because Macau is shifting to attract more, you know, mass market tourists after Beijing's crapdown on the VIP gamblers. So we saw casinos hosting more concerts and more conferences and more sports events to draw in a lot of people to Macau. And this year I think the growth will sort of start to stabilize, maybe because the Penta travel demand among Chinese to Macau could slow down at a certain point of the year. And also, you know, casinos typically are spending more to attract these people, so their earnings may you know, the growth may not be as fast as last year, but generally, I would say sentiment wise, it's still quite good. People are still going to Macau to see concerts and then they may just you know, drop by casinos to gamble and shop luxury. So I think, so far, I see Macau is still on the recovery track.
Speaker 3: Well, that's a great transition because I want to talk about gift giving next. Traditionally, aren't the red envelopes given? And that's just basically giving cash, right, You're not giving an item.
Speaker 6: Yes, so that's a you know, long time Chinese New Year traditions. So people just put very new newly either iron them or you go to bank for new banknotes and you put them in the red packets and you give it to your security guards, to your relatives, to any people seeing more junior to you, like you know, children of your relatives.
Speaker 3: So for friends and family members, And if you wanted to spend a little bit more money and you were interested in giving let's say, a particular item, whether it was a luxury good or something else, do you have a sense of kind of the price range that the average person would spend giving a gift to a family member. Is it less than fifty dollars us?
Speaker 6: I will say it would be more than fifty dollars US? Okay?
Speaker 3: And how might they spend that? Might they buy a device of some kind. Might it be a piece of technology or a piece of clothing. How would the average consumer go about choosing a gift.
Speaker 6: We saw the general trend last year is that people just sort of you know, they prefer to spend on less expensive items and they didn't spend as much on luxury items as before. So we've seen like a decline in spending over for example, jewelry, high fashion clothing, handbags, and these are actually not for traditional Chinese New Year gifting as well. So for Chinese New Year gifting, I would say, really people would spend more on the sort of healthcare products and medicine and you know, dried seafood. These are more like preferred by Chinese families.
Speaker 3: So the other question then that I have would be how do you acquire these goods? Is it going to a brick and mortar a physical store or is a lot of commerce being conducted online?
Speaker 6: A lot of commerce would be conducted online. So in China, e commerce is everything. That's why we've seen a lot of luxury brands they even though they want to maintain their very high and exclusive image, they have to set up shops on some of China's biggest e commerce platforms because they know that's the best access to Chinese consumers, especially after COVID, you know, during COVID. People just did everything online, and delivery in China is so fast and convenient. If you order, for example, at ten am this morning, it's likely that your products will be delivered by noon. So people just find it so convenient and you can find everything online. So e commerce is really a dominating force in China. That's why you've seen a lot of the mid range or low range shopping malls in decline. So if you go to China, chances are that you will see some shopping malls that have no people in and sometimes you know, maybe the lights aren't on because nobody's going.
Speaker 3: One of the things that's popular here in the US around holiday time and gift giving gift cards, where the gift giver doesn't actually have to purchase an item. They simply purchase a card with a dollar value that they can give the recipient, and then the recipient would in turn decide what they want to purchase with that card. Is that way of gift giving popular at all or is there the kind of the obligation to come up with a gift per se?
Speaker 6: I think the red packets would really cover a lot of that. So as we discuss just now, cash giving is a big thing, and particularly nowadays in China, cash giving on social media. For example, we chat is one of China's biggest social media platforms. It's actually got a virtual red packet giving service, so you can just you know, send your relative or your friends ten bucks or one hundred or even one thousand.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you can spend you know, and they can spend anything.
Speaker 3: Surely, before I let you go, can you just tell me share with me how you're planning to spend the holiday. Are you planning to travel?
Speaker 1: Yes, I do.
Speaker 6: I'm planning to go back to England, China where my parents live.
Speaker 3: And when you get together with them, what's kind of the typical way that the family would celebrate the Lunar New Year?
Speaker 6: So first we would just have a big dinner and we will watch this you know, annual it's a big tradition, annual spring festival gala organized by state media, the quality of which I would say has been in decline every year. And the younger generation are you know, starting to not want to watch it anymore, but out of filial piety and out of family duty, because your parents are all watching that, you have to watch with them.
Speaker 3: Shirley, thank you so much for helping us preview the lunar New Year festivities. It's the Year of the Dragon coming up, surely. Jiao covers Chinese conglomerates, including companies focused on consumers, gaming, and telecommunications. I'm Doug Prisner. You can join Brian Curtis and myself weekdays here for Bloomberg day Break Asia beginning at nine am in Hong Kong, eight pm on Wall Street.
Speaker 1: Tom Our thanks to Doug, Anne Shirley, and that does it for this edition of Bloomberg day Break Weekend. Join us again Monday morning at five am Wall Street time for the latest on the market's overseas and the news you need to start your day. I'm Tom Buzzby. Stay with us. Top stories and global business headlines are coming up right now.