Speaker 1: Hello, Puzzlers. Welcome to the Puzzler Podcast, The Green Shoot in your Puzzle Pavement. I am your host, Dadie Jacobs, and today's guest is the wonderful Faith Saley, Emmy winning correspondent for CBS Sunday Morning. We've got a franquin. Wait, we don't tell me, panelist and author and everything else. Welcome, Faith, Thank you, Aj.
Speaker 2: I'm so happy to be here.
Speaker 1: We are delighted to have you now, Faith. Are you a fan of charades, the game charades?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, this I can do. Are we going to do charades on a podcast?
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly. People have to imagine our hands moving. No, we are not, but I imagine you're pretty good because you have an acting background, so I want you on my team. This one, though, is actually called literary charades, which was the original charades. Originally, charades was a written type of riddle where the poem or the clue gives clues to each syllable. So that's how we got acting charades. That's the official name of what we know is charades, acted charades, or acting charades. But in seventeen hundreds France, it was literary charades that was all the rage and actually, Jane Austen wrote literary. So I'm gonna do one and you'll you'll catch on as I do it. So I'm not going to explain anymore, but the answer could be real or fictional people. And are you ready for your first charade?
Speaker 2: Japaul's kui? I think so nice.
Speaker 1: It's not going to be in French. Sorry.
Speaker 2: I like how you got French.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know that's how good you were your French is. But I will say one thing. You might get the answer before the final clue, but I would I would beg you to refrain from saying the full name until the final clue. We'll give you credit. Okay. First charade is something that you cut, moose, gel or feather.
Speaker 2: Okay. So it's so I say this word out loud.
Speaker 1: That's one you're allowed to say out loud.
Speaker 2: Okay. As a child of the seventies and eighties, the only answer is hair.
Speaker 1: Hair exactly. Okay. So that's the first syllable, first section. Okay. Next, you blank what you sew? You blank what you sew?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: You you reap it, you reap it without the it. So we've got hair and reap Okay. Next we have a swimming mammal that breaks clams on its belly with rocks. Very cute, very cute.
Speaker 2: Oh the sweetest. Yeah, wait, I think are we talking about the same cute mammal? Is it a sea?
Speaker 1: It is just the otter. We don't need that. We know it's the.
Speaker 2: Right, all right, So say free podder.
Speaker 1: Okay, go ahead, that's it. Say it again.
Speaker 2: I think I said it. Harry Potter.
Speaker 1: Harry Potter, hair reap Potter, exactly, Harry Potter. That's how a charade works. Nicely done. There you go. And by the way, important fact that I learned while researching this Otter poop has its very own Wikipedia entry. It's called sprint s p R A I N T. And it has a distinct odor of freshly mown hay. So there you go.
Speaker 2: This is the best news I've heard all week. This is I'm going to I'm going to bury the word sprint in at least one exchange per day.
Speaker 1: I am honored if I can have that. Okay, are you ready for yes?
Speaker 2: But I mean I'm just thinking about that phrase. You know, here he or she thinks they're you know, their poop doesn't stink. We could just change it and say what do you what do you think you are in otter?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: What do you think your poop smell? Smells like fresh moan? Hey, there should be a candle love sprint.
Speaker 1: You are a business person, you are going after Goop. I'm in it. I'm in Sign me up as an angel investor. Okay, next, Tarade. This is a place to get a beer, a place where you might get a beer.
Speaker 2: Uh pub.
Speaker 1: Or get a bar. It is a bar. We were in America, so I went with with bar. So that's first syllable bar made in form makes this kind of undergarment.
Speaker 3: I believe it's a brasier, but we'll shorten it to.
Speaker 1: Bra exactly because we like the syllable. So bar Bra. This is a word that comes after Berlin, great Western stone or worth.
Speaker 2: Brilliant wallstone, wall, Western wall, wall wall.
Speaker 1: While you got it, bar bra and then that all right? This word means that someone who describing something that uses few words breathe, piffy, concise, kurt, the opposite of what I'm doing right now by using reticent.
Speaker 2: But oh terse.
Speaker 1: Urse is well done. Okay, now put them together.
Speaker 2: Drum roll please, I believe it's bar bra Walters.
Speaker 1: Barbara Walters nailed it, all right. Two more and then you're done. Next charade. This is a word that follows patrol town, squad, sports, cattle, patrol, railroad.
Speaker 2: Cap patrol comes before patrol patrol, squad town. Oh, car car is a car?
Speaker 4: Car?
Speaker 1: Exactly? Nice? All right, so we got car a passing grade but barely uh A d ye word following carpenter worker or honey.
Speaker 2: Honey, bun carpenter bun No carpenter, carpenter pants carpenter word falling carpenter honey.
Speaker 1: Or what worker? Worker? Carpenter? Now? Oh, is it a B?
Speaker 4: A B?
Speaker 1: Now I'm worried that it's carpenter in but I saw a carpenter B when I was researching. Okay, all right, regardless, you got it. So put those together. Do you remember them?
Speaker 2: CARDB, that's it, CARDI B.
Speaker 1: Exactly nail that, all right. You are a charade master. Brown, brown version of a butterfly. I'm not sure that's entomologically correct, but that's the way I think.
Speaker 2: Of it, brown version of a butterfly. Oh, this sounds very scientific.
Speaker 1: Inteleologically, I think that is probably completely mistaken entomologically.
Speaker 2: Are you calling moths, brown versions of butterflies?
Speaker 1: Are we saying exactly we are? I know, I know, sorry.
Speaker 2: Entomologizing it, but I'll accept it.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Okay, blank Locker an Oscar winning movie directed by Catherine Bigelow star Yeah, hurt, okay, great. Now, this is what's on the end of a pencil on JFK's desk. John F. Kennedy had a pencil and on this was This was on the end of it.
Speaker 2: It is So it's not your generic point or eraser. It is it JFK specific.
Speaker 1: It is because this clue was such a stretch, but I could not resist doing it. So, yes, you got it. It's the pink part. So you said it, but now say it like JFK would say it. Okay, good now put them all together.
Speaker 3: Mom, hurt erasa, you got it, nicely done, very impressive.
Speaker 1: Where can we hear more of you? Whatever accent you may be adopting that day.
Speaker 2: You can hear me up and down the streets of Manhattan saying the word sprinked to anyone who will listen. In Additionally, you kids see me on CBS Sunday Morning or Wait, or hear me on Wait Wait and I host a podcast called Real Good and another one called Health Matters Love It.
Speaker 1: And before we I think you you're a saint in your own way. Before we wrap up, as always for you puzzlers at home, we've got an extra credit puzzle. This is singer of Gangham style. That's first syllable number two an adult male in Jamaica. Then we've got a word following sacred or milk or don't have a and then at the end it's the shape of some sofas brackets and letters. So there you go. Let us know if you can figure that out. If you can't, we'll have the answer on the next episode. And puzzlers, please don't forget to subscribe to the Puzzler podcast. If you're enjoying the podcast, please tell all within earshot and we will meet you here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 4: Hello puzzlers. Greg Pliska here up from the Puzzle Lab with the extra credit answer. From our previous show. We had guest Faith Silly Sometime panelist on weight weight Don't tell Me, and we played word word don't tell Me wherever answer is a phrase where the first word is repeated twice. So the clue we gave faith was this explosive directorial debut from Lynn Manuel Miranda. And the answer, of course, is tick tick boom, And that's your countdown till we see you next time here on the Puzzler