Speaker 1: Hello puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler Podcast, The Soothing unguint to Cure your puzzle Wounds. I am your host, A J. Jacobs, and today's guest is the Great Faith, the Sally Emmy winning CBS Sunday Morning correspondent panelists for Weight Weight Don't Tell Me, Storyteller, podcast host you name it? Welcome Faith, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: That was a long introduction and I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: I could go on.
Speaker 2: I never know how to answer, and people say, what do you do?
Speaker 4: So you helped me out there. I just want to say I was on Star Trek once. I feel like, well, ever, what is it like? I got beamed up a J. I was a genetically enhanced mutant.
Speaker 2: I don't mean to brag, but I was what was enhanced my brain?
Speaker 5: My brain?
Speaker 4: Yes, Serena Douglas on Deep Space nine, I'm on a trading card worth hundreds of sins.
Speaker 1: So have you been to a Star Trek convention? Have you been mobbed?
Speaker 4: I have, and I was there covering the fiftieth anniversary of Star Trek for CBS Sunday Morning.
Speaker 5: So I was not mobbed.
Speaker 4: But there was this time when one family did a double take and I mean this is twenty years after I played Serena Douglas and got beamed up and they were like are you And I had the biggest, slowest smile and I was like, yes, I love it.
Speaker 1: You are a part of history. I love that. So this puzzle has nothing to do with Star Trek, but it does have an interesting origin stry, which is that Greg Plisk got chief Puzzle Officer. We published a book together, The Puzzler, and for the book party, Greg wrote a puzzle where all the answers were phrases with the initials AJ, so other ajs. So if the clue was the president after Abraham Lincoln, the Andrew was, the answer was Andrew Johnson, not the Andrew was. But when we were preparing for You're a Week, we realized we missed one very important clue, and that would be Book by Faith Sale, wonderful Book by Faith Sale.
Speaker 4: A J.
Speaker 1: Hey J and what does A stand for?
Speaker 5: In this cool junkie.
Speaker 4: I loved that AJ because when I was turning my book into a show, it became a solo show. That was always the shorthand between my director and me.
Speaker 5: Our emails were always AJ. Whatever, Oh, I.
Speaker 1: Love that there you go. So great book, great show. By the way, I thought one astute reviewer had a great description. He said, it's a hilarious and emotional look at love, career, and faith, mom's pelvic floor, among others.
Speaker 3: A J.
Speaker 1: Jacob, that's true. I think you blurring listen. I approved of it, and I approve of you and people should get it. It's wonderful, and I hope you approve of us repurposing this puzzle on AJ's to you because you are also an AJ creator. So are you ready for this is an orange and green O shaped cereal from Kellogg's.
Speaker 4: Wait, it's going to begin with age Oh apple Jack?
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, okay, Yeah.
Speaker 1: When we were kids, that actually was only orange, but now they've added the green.
Speaker 4: FYI, Oh, I guess that's you know, they tell you to eat your greens, so I'm sure that makes it very healthy.
Speaker 2: And I remember how the milk tasted after you want it?
Speaker 3: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 5: No, it was good, sweet sweet apple sauce.
Speaker 1: And by the way, speaking of health, the initial tagline the advertising tagline was A bowl a day keeps the bullies away. So obviously you have some Apple j X and you are super strong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is why jen Xers grew up to be who we are.
Speaker 5: You're eating sugar to keep the bullies away.
Speaker 1: Nike shoes. This is a Nike shoes whose commercials were the inspiration for the film Space Jam famous type of sneakers.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's not a Bron James, so it has to be based on Michael Jordan.
Speaker 1: Yeh here halfway there? Did you say Air Jordan? Yes, you are correct, Air Jordan's aj You're doing great. Two for two.
Speaker 4: Okay, this movie, by the way, Air that movie first R rated movie my children ever saw.
Speaker 5: They're still reeling from the language.
Speaker 1: Interesting. All right, I didn't see it, but thank you. Good recommendation news you can use all right. This actress her breakthrough approval. We're trying to work in approval occasionally an honor review. Her breakthrough approval came in the role of CJ. Craig on The West Wing, but she also got big approval for her role in Masters of Sex.
Speaker 4: Yes, she is marvelous and I feel closer to her than most people who have never met her because when the pandemic first started and wait, wait, don't tell me started doing all the shows by zoom instead of a live audience.
Speaker 2: She was the guest on the celebrity guest on the show, and she did it.
Speaker 5: From her parents' attic.
Speaker 2: All it was so sweet and intimate and vulnerable, and I think she was like growing out her roots, as we all tried to do for about.
Speaker 5: Two months in May of twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: So I think that the great Alison Janny.
Speaker 1: That is the great Alison jan The AJ, you're on it, You're on it. So this is we've got just two more. Okay, meat lovers approve of French dip sandwiches, which are often served this way. So what AJ.
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: It's quite a euphemism for kind of slightly.
Speaker 4: Bloody liquid crat like like a delicacy.
Speaker 5: I believe, I believe it is.
Speaker 1: Oh you, oh ju is correct as.
Speaker 5: The Jew kind of full of heme as they say, I guess you're right.
Speaker 1: I guess you're right. It sounds better, as you say, than oh blood. So smart marketing by the French dip folks. All right, we have one last one for you, which is, uh, this is just an ordinary guy. Maybe he gets a approval for being ordinary. Who is this a J? I guess them?
Speaker 5: I mean al Jiaux was not an ordinary guy.
Speaker 4: It's extraordinary Jay, not not all around Jesus an ordinary guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will tell you there are several other phrases that mean the same thing. One of them is a blank six pack. I won't use the first. Joe, right, Joe is part of it? You got it? Just an ordinary?
Speaker 2: Is it all around Joe?
Speaker 1: It is not. It is not like.
Speaker 5: An ordinary Joe. It's uh.
Speaker 1: Hmm, it's just like right in the mean, the median.
Speaker 5: The average.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, average Joe.
Speaker 1: You got it all right?
Speaker 4: Before we conclude this, what did the AJ and your name stand for?
Speaker 1: Oh? Well, thank you for asking.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: My full name is Arnold Stephen Jacobs Junior and my father is Arnold Stephen Jacobs Senior. So they didn't want to call me Arnold or Arney. They were going to call me as, but that had its problems. They were worried about what would happen in elementary school, so they took the J possibly from junior and popped it in there. So there I am. AJ. Jacobs.
Speaker 4: Parents are so much more compassionate than my husband and I are, because our son's name begins with A and his last name is hyphenated and it's s h S.
Speaker 5: So see what your parents did there.
Speaker 4: My I needs to eat is apple jacks to keep away the bullets.
Speaker 1: I'm sure he will. Well, it's good, it's character building. I think it'll be great. I approve. Before we wrap up, Faith, where can we find more of you?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, like most of us.
Speaker 4: I'm on the artist formerly known as Twitter, Faith, Underscore, Saley and Instagram at Faith Say and CBS Sunday Morning, Wait Wait Don't tell Me? And I host a couple of podcasts, ones called Real Good and one is called Health Matters.
Speaker 1: Love it. And before we wrap up, as always for the puzzlers at home, we have an extra credit puzzle and this one you might know the answer, but it was it was a little harder for those of us who are not personal friends. Everyone approves of Faith's Wait Wait don't tell me. Colleague Bill Curtis and this crime program that he hosted on the A and E Network. What aj is that?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: I like that Faith is looking confused. That's good. These are something, These are something. These are supposed to be a little harder. So listen Google texts.
Speaker 5: Will Curtis, as I can.
Speaker 1: There you go yes. If any listeners know Bill Curtis, feel free to text them. If you don't get it, you will get the answer on the next episode. And Puzzlers, please don't forget to subscribe to the Puzzler podcast. If you're enjoying it, tell your friends and we'll meet you here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 3: Hello again, Puzzlers, this is Greg Pliska here with the extra credit answer from our previous show. We were playing charades with Faith Sale and we gave you a series of clues to charade a famous person's name. Here were the clues. The singer of Gangnam Style, an adult male in Jamaica, a word that follows sacred milk or don't have a and shape of some sofa brackets or letters. Those are ci Mon cow and Elle for Simon Cowell. Thanks for playing with us, and we'll see you here next time on the Puzzler