Speaker 1: R and B Money.
Speaker 2: We are.
Speaker 1: Thanks take Valoti. We are the authorities on all things R and B. Ladies and gentlemen. My name is Tank Valentine. If this is the R and Money podcast, what it is, it's the authority on all things all all a capitol l capitoli. L essence of an R and B singer is not just in how he sounds or she or she sounds, It is also in how they look. It's a special addition, special edition episode of when you artists are attracted to the esthetic of an artist. Well, there's an artist that creates that aesthetic, okay, and she is here with us. But dude, it for me since the beginning of my career makes some noise. But the Mika Foster and yeah, yeah yeah, the style icon, herself style icon, Yeah yeah, styling six Style had style, the style.
Speaker 3: Me and Coco Chanel together. We're old together.
Speaker 1: Come on, now you listen. I want to say this. Let me just say this off top and then we're gonna get into it for all y'all. Just starting to wear chrome hearts. The chrome hearts was put on my body in two thousand by this woman right here, twenty five thousand, dollars belt. That's crazy. Who gata two piece bottom and top? Shit, we've been doing it speaking you're late. I was styled by an eye cock. Birthday twin Tom business. It's the kind of episode today we're tripping today? Nice you know to me it was coming today. Put on a fabric that's that's explicivet EXPLI if you know, you know, if not the little custom rich fresh fish. You know everybody got this size. You ain't built like me. Something You're not built like me. You don't know what you signed up for. Like you got family here today and she got that ship on too. Listen listen when mess question when did you know you had an eye for this? Like you know, I may very poor clothing decisions in my desire to in my transition from church to R and B, because I just I didn't know, and you were the first person that I got to see all oh okay, oh ship okay, So I should all right now, I didn't put the bandannas away, which I should. I should have done that you had. I went to the squat meets, and you know, I was kind of like I was still trying to be you know, I saw R Kelly wear a band. I was like, I need a band. You know you got get one gear? Your fault full? Turning eight? Who the nigga with the Cranberry Bandanna?
Speaker 3: Did you have to study or bedazzle them?
Speaker 1: You know I didn't. I didn't do. I think Jane might have did that, and I think I might have stayed away from that because you styled him to you did style, but we really was but like when did you know you had an eye for that? This is did this start like as as a as a as a young girl, like just having super.
Speaker 3: Young, super young.
Speaker 4: My aunt Sadie, who is turning one hundred next month.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to see. I can't wait, I'm out here.
Speaker 4: So she has a big party next month in San Francisco. Oh ship yep at the wharf yep. So anyway, my aunt Satie owned a boutique and I was six years old working in a boutique, like having a separate.
Speaker 3: Clothes and run around.
Speaker 4: That was like my first job, first introducing, first introduction to fashion, and I got into it really loving fashion, like brand names, like looking at the labels and learning that now I really love style more than labels and names because I realized the difference.
Speaker 3: I get the difference.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you was pulling some crazy stuff.
Speaker 4: I was doing a little fashion back then, so I did. People don't realize that. I don't know what year we with even two thousand, that's how long ago that I had a great relationship partnership with Chrome Hearts. We I did a couple of artists. I did you ushers a Confession's album cover. That's all Chrome Hearts. All that jewelry, all that gold and everything on Confessions the cover. People don't realize that's all Chrome Hearts head to toe.
Speaker 3: Always wow.
Speaker 1: Anybody over there, because be paying full know what?
Speaker 3: They never discounted.
Speaker 4: No, No, they'll give you something if you wear it on the Grammys maybe, but no. I mean I was just looking at a performance from the VMA's that I did.
Speaker 3: I don't know what year that was, but full chrome Hearts.
Speaker 4: I think he got to keep the leather pants like they really they don't do it, and I kind of like that. It doesn't want their brand down. They make it hard to get I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: That's cool. So was it hard for you breaking into the prof the entertainment space in terms of getting getting your super hard.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, let me tell you the way this thing started was very funny.
Speaker 1: Back to the Bay.
Speaker 3: It wasn't the Bay. It wasn't the Bay.
Speaker 1: I didn't start. I don't want to start. Everything all started.
Speaker 4: It started to Bay because I was born in the Bay, if you will. No, but I got here. I went to the Fashion Institute down you know, downtown. I went to Fashion Institute. I wanted to be a merchandise marketing person. I wanted to be a buyer basically for all the stores. So I learned the kind of the theory and the concept of what people look for when they buy things, how to price items, how to do displays, how to run a store, a boutique, whatever. And then I had a friend named Todd. Todd worked for bif ten, Michael Bivitts, and he had just started his at Motown and he had a group coming out and he was like, I need you to fix my group. Get him right, And I was like, get him right? What I So he was like, the girls I wanted to look like you. Just get them, make them all have flavor like you. And I was like, what does that mean?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Like, you know when you get dressed. You don't really think about what your I didn't have an image.
Speaker 3: I didn't know. So it was called Subway in seven oh two.
Speaker 4: So my first, my first official video was Subway, this little game we played.
Speaker 1: That's how.
Speaker 3: I'm really dating myself. So from there, I did not know what I was doing.
Speaker 4: I you know, Hi, Sorry, Michael, Yeah, I didn't know. I didn't even know what to charge.
Speaker 1: It seems like it seems like at least you had some schooling under your back.
Speaker 3: I did you know I had.
Speaker 4: I knew color theory. I knew what colors, you know, what like people are animals. You know they match match, match, like, oh you're gonna wear black, you're gonna wear white like this. But I knew that you can wear gray and you can put blue, and you can do this. You know, you can add a little pumpkin and put a little you know how you can play with colors and that I knew.
Speaker 3: But I didn't know how to pull clothes. I didn't know the first of.
Speaker 4: How you acquire the clothes and the Another really good point to be known is that designers were not giving y'all clothes, right, No, no, no, they didn't want to.
Speaker 3: Give you guys clothes, like I'd have to be like, no, this is actually for Nat King Cole, like they did not care, like that.
Speaker 4: I'm pulling for Usher or Tank or h Jesse Jesse Powell and all those, all my early clients. They're looking at me like who we never you know, they hadn't hurt any guys yet, So it was really a lot of finesse to make them say this person's on the up. Like I used to write letters, like my office will tell you my old assistants, who are now all doing very well, but they'll tell you that I used to have formal letters that had to go out to request the clothes.
Speaker 3: To even get any of the stuff. Yeah, because I knew. I knew y'all have potential.
Speaker 5: I knew.
Speaker 3: Somebody I saw something me and you, I swear I did.
Speaker 1: Did you did you know? Because what you said earlier is that you know he said he wanted all of the girls to look like you. Yeah, did you know that you had a thing like did you know that you would fly? Or you would just kind of like I.
Speaker 4: Don't even think I was flying. You know what it is? Fly is such a culmination of things. It's a demeanor. It's an aura.
Speaker 3: It's it's kind of how you speak, how you move.
Speaker 4: Like I can come and hang out with you guys and sit in a room, be a fly on the wall, and afterwards and we'll chop it up and crack up about everybody. Not all girls can do that. I'm like a boy girl, like, no, I'm not no man. I know y'all want to say I knew she was a man, Don't kidding, but no, But SERI, I can hang with the fellas and like crack up and have a good time.
Speaker 3: So I had a thing. It's a genesis quad. It's a thing. It's a thing.
Speaker 4: It wasn't always about style or fashion. So that's where people get it confused. They think, I'll go in Gucci and I'll get the whole new mannequin look that just fresh off the runway, and I will have that thing, and you may or may not, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: For a second, think about it was the mannequin for a minute?
Speaker 3: You were you used to wear all that head to doe.
Speaker 1: I mean, when I got a little money, I was like, just give me that, give me that.
Speaker 3: I need all of that and the clips that.
Speaker 1: Hold it all I mean, yeah him, whatever that's doing man, because I mean, because you think like me as a kid, you know, you know I didn't grow up in anything fashionable, nothing, I didn't. I mean I was in Milwaukee. Uh you know, my clothes were hand me downs or from you know, from the discount mart or from rummage cells. You know what I'm saying that one now, you know what I'm saying. So but then even getting older, moving in Maryland and finally making a little money in the church and stuff like that, like I would like venture off into like Kenneth Cole. But then but but but the suit was still oak Tree. You know what I'm saying out there, because I still needed the discount suit. You know what I'm saying. You get the suit and for nine you had a lot of listen and the oak Tree with a oak Tree suit, with the with the Kenneth Colt shoe, and then I top it off with a a Sachi.
Speaker 3: He'll appreciate this. I used to work at oak Tree, so like.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's what I'm talking about, and he sta Tree, this is an come on. Now.
Speaker 4: I used to work at the ones in the where Norseman was in San Francisco, that big uh they closed now Norham, But yeah on Powell, that whole thing I worked in.
Speaker 1: Wow. So that was my you know, and that was church kind of style, which is different, way different from you know, you know, street style, street and entertainment style. I didn't know what that was ancient, Like where do you get that stood in ancient? Until I went on the road with Genuine and then you know, that really introduced me to the silk shirt, you know, because Genuine bought all the silkies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was my other client.
Speaker 4: But one thing about g I don't care what you bring him from the designers. He's gonna be like, we'll put the Batman collar on it. Wait wait, yeah, no, he didn't want nothing. No, if he saw it in like gqu'd be like, not that Sh'S wrong.
Speaker 3: He wanted to straight up Gordon Gartrail at all times. Period.
Speaker 2: But there's but there's it's it's so when you say that, right, there's an art to that as well, because.
Speaker 3: There has to be a separation individuality, Yes.
Speaker 2: There has, especially in entertainment. We are not supposed to look like your neighbor.
Speaker 3: That's true. But sometimes, let me tell you this, sometimes less is.
Speaker 1: More, for sure, agreed, agreed, and that's when sometimes niggas like him take their shirt off because, like you said, use, I'm gonna come out here with the one I was born with. But we have to have a separation.
Speaker 2: We have to have individuality in order for somebody to want to buy into you.
Speaker 3: Yes and no. Let me tell you what I say.
Speaker 4: Some of my favorite fashion style icons are like James Dean. There's like classic I keep. I can't say this enough.
Speaker 1: But that nigga wasn't saying but he was actor, but.
Speaker 3: He was what women look.
Speaker 4: It's not about just what you do, it's about it's about being a true This is the thing you want to make men want to be like you, and you want women want to lay down with you.
Speaker 3: That's what the goal is.
Speaker 4: Whenever I'm styling an artist or I get a client, I think about what the demographic is. Who are we trying to appeal to? So we want women to want you and we want men to want to be like you. That's how you create a strong image. If it's a little questionable and women want to wear what you have on, we might have a problem a little bit.
Speaker 1: So you couldn't style Prince.
Speaker 4: No, I'm but see, I'm also a Michael Jackson person. So you know, growing up in Oakland, you were prince or you were Michael Jackson. My mother loved prince, but I was mj to the bone. Like it was like a battle, you know what I mean, how like the battle of over like whatever, over ballplayers and stuff.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, Michael.
Speaker 3: Jackson was Prince of Michael Jackson. Like you had to. You had to choose a team, pick a side.
Speaker 2: My mother and my father. My father was Michael Jackson. My mother was prince.
Speaker 3: My mother was prince too.
Speaker 2: My mother was Prince. He's the only the only lights game man. My mother ever loved.
Speaker 3: Really what, Yeah, she wasn't.
Speaker 1: Fucking with nothing. I don't know. I was like, yeah, Michael Jackson prince. So I get it. You're You're absolutely right.
Speaker 4: You had to make you had to, man, you had to pick a struggle when I was growing up.
Speaker 3: So I was Michael Jackson.
Speaker 4: Because then he was like, I don't know what, but he still had curly here and baby here.
Speaker 1: But it was still not normal. It's still not normal. I still wasn't wearing normal clothes.
Speaker 2: At a point, Nah, that man had on a cart first of all I Mike had Rosie cheeks.
Speaker 1: He was out here putting your chicks and my cheeks right now. After off the Wall, y'all gonna see these checks. After off the Wall, Mike went somewhere else.
Speaker 4: He did on that yellow cardigan yellow the yellow cardigan picture his cheeks.
Speaker 1: That ship ain't normal, were selling something, you know what I mean, don't hurt my life.
Speaker 2: But he was an entertainer, right like actors can get off the whole, you know, aesthetic of every man, but a musician has to get off.
Speaker 1: I am the man. I'm him, So what separates me and makes me him? So? To me? When when artists do you know certain things that maybe I don't agree with and it's something I might not have worn, but I'm like, okay, I get it.
Speaker 5: That's you know, you're getting your ship off.
Speaker 4: I struggle with that, you know what I mean. I struggle with it because I'm super I am. I'm probably a little boring in the sense that I really like classic things because I want to be able to look at a photo of anything that I either worked on or that I've worn and look at it ten years from now and not hate it. I don't want to be like, remember them big old bell old bottoms, Like you know what I mean, I don't want I don't follow the trend of what I try to wear, just kind of classic. I keep it really really safe. So I mean, I mean, there are very adventurous stylists and they'd be like, just cut the bottom of your booty out, It's okay.
Speaker 3: I'd be like, no, that's not because I know that you're going to look back at it and regret it.
Speaker 4: So if you know, sometimes less is more and classic it just transcends time.
Speaker 1: Do you have a regrettable I have a lot of them.
Speaker 4: Listen, I will say, right here, where's the camera. I am not the fashion icon.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 4: I'm not without flaw in that regard I have. Do I have great style and taste? Yes, But sometimes it's in hindsight, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I've messed up. I've definitely messed up on a few.
Speaker 2: Not that many have to, though, And I you know you say that you're not, but I believe that you are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: You know, since we said about about to pull up a fit, well we not about.
Speaker 1: To pull up.
Speaker 4: Let me think I think it's real bad, Like Jeopardy Music, she says she's not right, so she says she's not a fashion icon.
Speaker 1: I just want to just go down the list here, Lauren Hill, White, Cleft, Sean Beyonce, Yeah, jay Z, Yeah, Aretha Franklin, pedl Leabelle, Chaka Khan, Sierra h Town, Foujis Aliah, Tony Braxton, Mary j Blige, Timberland, Tweet, Brian McKnight, Blue Can Trail, Jim pro Usher, Music, Soul Child, Jesse Fay, Ashanti Nas Genuine, Raham, Devon, True Hill, LaToya look at Next, Chris browns Is, Chris Tucker, Maxwell, Lloyd, Anthony Hamilton, Sam Salter, Something for the People, Jesse Powell, Life, Jennings Applies, That's great, Kevin Gates, O Marion, Sammy, Glenn Lewis, Cardinal offic Show, Tank, Joe LeVert, Joe John Tay, Austin, Seminole Two, Pharrell, Doctor, Dre t I, Jagged Edge Guru, Mace Silk, Sugar Free and more.
Speaker 4: Dude, But can I tell you the one person I didn't hear in that list, and it's very important. I will shout Hi out right now because he's my favorite client, one of them.
Speaker 3: Lloyd Lloyd. Lloyd. Lloyd is my guy, Lloyd.
Speaker 1: I love Lloyd.
Speaker 3: Lloyd is such a are Lloyd fans here, Lloyd, I love you. Lloyd knows and he is. He's a capcorn. I knew it.
Speaker 1: So you know this is not This is not normal, right, You're your client listing and the people saying, hey, what whatever she's doing? I need that. It's not normal, right, Like that's like, okay, maybe four or five of these referrals. Yea. Outside of that, it just becomes what you do. We need to make him, we need to make it.
Speaker 4: More than a style person. I'm kind of more of etiquette. I'm kind of it's kind of an etiquette thing. It's kind of come on, now, when you had that on, you're supposed to sit like this because you don't care.
Speaker 3: Because this is something I would say, like, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: You put that on and you grab your when you singing, and you need to.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I'm showing that.
Speaker 4: It's kind of choreography, but not in the dance. I'm not a dancer, but you know what I mean. So I kind of give swagger like it's a swagger coach. Huh, That's what I think maybe I change. I'm sorry changing my title swag coach.
Speaker 1: No really, no, for real, When you put on certain ship, you.
Speaker 3: Gotta act difference.
Speaker 4: And I always say, don't let that thing where you. You're wearing it. So if you got it on, don't just have your sleeves like I have on the new Gucci collections from the I got Pharrell's new runway.
Speaker 3: No, dude, don't let it.
Speaker 4: You gotta wear it, throw it on and your attitude has to match the garment or I'm gonna change.
Speaker 3: I'm like, you can't wear that because you ain't ready. That's flyer than you right now. Ye can't be flyer than you. You gotta be the fly one.
Speaker 4: It's your demeanor, it's it's what you're giving. You gotta be able to pull it off. But then you also can't be too extra. It's always like, right, Yeah, you gotta find a balance of balance.
Speaker 1: But that's that's why.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're hired for these jobs because people understand that you know the balance and.
Speaker 1: Hired you know I didn't. I never hired and fired anybody that kind of power. Joe probably fired you and like Jo walking with that confid what the is all it is.
Speaker 4: What I was an over budget queen ship.
Speaker 3: I saw more for you people. Did he deserves hers?
Speaker 1: What do you mean this first album? It's the first album, the first album, the second video.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ask Lloyd this second video.
Speaker 1: I take it's my new artist. Yeah, I'm firing you too.
Speaker 3: So you got twenty you had the same voice. He had the same voice.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 3: You see he had the same ability.
Speaker 1: So okay, you said the future.
Speaker 3: I did see the future.
Speaker 4: I promise you, Like, if you bring me an artist and I know that artist is mediocre, I'm definitely not using all my contacts on that person.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, no offense.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to go in and be pulling from Fucci and every you know, getting close from everywhere and putting my credit cards on the line, because that's what I used to do.
Speaker 3: There was a lot.
Speaker 2: Speak on that speak on the business side. Come on, because because we have aspiring stylist sure swag icons that are watching this and haven't become that yet and they're trying to figure out how to.
Speaker 5: Get to do it.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the business side. That you need some credit cards? You need what do you need? What you need to get in this game?
Speaker 4: Is very relationship base in terms of what stores you can pull from. What I mean, my artists have burned a lot of bridges for me, by the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I have been on set.
Speaker 4: I've done you know, the rapper and all his homeboys and the click I won't say any names. And they come in all their homeboys who are not signing to anybody shit, you know. Yeah, Oh taking the Cardier frames. You want them because they like them.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, what are those fifteen hundred dollars? Oh?
Speaker 4: Guess who has to eat it right because you can't pinpoint who took them.
Speaker 3: But you know is one of those guys. So you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I used to get messed up, I used to get burned, but I was never in it for the money. I really had a passion for it. I really love the final outcome. I love to see it all come together, you know what I mean, Like all the pull, all the days are running around and trying to find the size forty three and we got he can't get the poidser I need the black holees because they go with the and going through all of that and then actually seeing the actual day of the video and all the fire and all the pyrole and stuff happened, and.
Speaker 3: I'd be like, that's why I do this. I love, love, love what I do. I love what I did. I'm kind of retired, sort of semi so.
Speaker 1: Like we're a lot of the like explain to them, like the pools that are pulled and then returned, because I think people still don't realize that the even red carpets and all of these things, like those clothes ain't in the closet.
Speaker 3: Lot is very very very much borrowed, very much borrow very.
Speaker 1: Much borrowed, and you got to have either the relationships.
Speaker 3: Like a wedding day or some money to put something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you relationships or some money to put up and the money to put up. Because even with pools, because obviously I got friends that are stylists as well, like there's a there's a fee that.
Speaker 4: So there are stores that you can go to that's again new stylists. If I could say anything to you, don't don't put all your eggs in one basket because every every artist and every client isn't worth you burning, you know, and going through all these different stories in these relationships. So yeah, you got to be kind of mindful, don't go crazy on everybody.
Speaker 3: I think stylists to see stylists.
Speaker 4: I don't even like to call myself that anymore because it's it's a kind of water down term.
Speaker 3: You know, everybody's a stylist.
Speaker 1: Everybody's not a stylist.
Speaker 3: Well they call themselves it, so you know if they worked at J Crew for three days.
Speaker 1: Everybody, everybody's not a stylist, just like everybody says they're an artist, or everybody says that they're a rapper, or everybody says you can say whatever you want to say. The proof is in in that that that list. When when when the papers come out, right you know what I mean, and and and the budgets come out, there are people who are going to get those budgets to do those things for these people that I just named, you know what I'm saying, Like like like Drake said, if you don't tell me you are amount of if you ain't been in vogue, Like there are levels.
Speaker 2: But then also also having like vision boards, people people also think like, oh, I'm just gonna come in Salmon stylist because I know how to get dressed. But can they also put it together for someone to see issue.
Speaker 4: In order to get the job, you're going to laugh to work with Usher, I had to do a presentation at his label, you know, Flana shout out to Flana Williams. I had to come with like boards, I had like fabric to watches and sketches, like literally I had to put together a serious presentation.
Speaker 1: What makes sense though, because it's like.
Speaker 3: It worked out, Yeah, because.
Speaker 1: It's like, what is I mean, what is the audition for that? You know what I'm saying. When you get to that level of an artist, it's like, at that level of an artist, they want to see, you know, not so much so what you've done, because what you've done is definitely going to get you in the room, but they want to see what exactly can you do? Just for me? Yeah, it's something that nobody else has done or can do.
Speaker 4: Somewhere in one of my storages, I will have those original because they brought me in after he did.
Speaker 3: I think it was popular collar.
Speaker 4: And somebody knew that you needed to I need to shake things up and kind of give it an edge, which is.
Speaker 3: Obviously what it has now.
Speaker 4: And I think my first job was you got it bad? Probably My first video was you got you got it Bad and I wanted again. That was the two things that I wanted to marry, no pun, but the two things that I wanted to put together was women to want him and men to want to be like him, you know. So that was you got it bad, where you're ripping it you know, yep yep. So you need a certain certain sex appeal that had to happen, and a certain masculine vibe had to happen too, because it's a it's a fine line. Because with art, with you mail artists, it's a fine line from feminine to masculine. You guys have to really know you're riding a line. Today, I guess it doesn't matter because this is a very fluid world where in.
Speaker 1: But you can identify as anything.
Speaker 3: I'm a giraffe.
Speaker 4: I like, I didn't learn to.
Speaker 1: Style a giraffe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you know what I mean. It's different now, But just I'm old school.
Speaker 1: You are ol school. Cause remember I saw you one time. I can't remember what I had what I had on, but I was on my I was on my Miami Vice early. You know what I'm saying. It was the suit, it was the the it was the cut off. The pant was cut off right at the ankle. You know what I'm saying. Low for no socks, you gotta put some damn socks on.
Speaker 3: What because I don't follow trim?
Speaker 1: Just guess what your ankle beat is?
Speaker 4: That style gone?
Speaker 3: Have you seen? It's kind of gone?
Speaker 1: What's that going?
Speaker 3: Dude still got no songs on in little short pants.
Speaker 1: Little shirt pans on. No, I don't think nobody.
Speaker 3: Wearing some damn pedal pushes on y'all. I'm sorry, I don't like. I ain't with it.
Speaker 1: I did a no sock thing.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm okay with no socks. I'm okay with.
Speaker 1: I think it. But also like it's as we go back, like to Genuine, it's it's how you own a thing, right, Like I watched Genuine own he owned some hush puppies and a Jane West silk silver shirt.
Speaker 3: It's for dancing.
Speaker 1: It's not a defense thing because he don't need defending. I'll tell you, oh, I'll put that shit on and he and he'll go out there and he'll rock sixty thousand people and they will not know the difference. Right because that man Genuine went to work. Well.
Speaker 3: First of all, he's in Kentucky. They don't know.
Speaker 1: Man, it's not just Kentucky. Right for Dallas Houston, we were in major cities with these silky If he had one on, I had one, it was falling out. If he had one on falling out, he was the genuine, was the man. So it was just like I remember, I remember it had to be Dallas.
Speaker 3: That was his wife.
Speaker 1: By the way, he did remember had to swirly swirl, right, swirl.
Speaker 3: That ain't fir.
Speaker 4: That asked, where you get above my pay grade? I don't do the hair.
Speaker 1: So I saw a grown man with the genuine swirly swirl.
Speaker 3: What was their swirl?
Speaker 1: It was just your hair had a little quickly a nigga had. And that's when it was like, okay, So Jackson had a drop curl. He had to drop. Jackson had to little I'm gonna go back to your guy because I know that's guy. That's your too much.
Speaker 3: Not the drop cirl he did. I had it too.
Speaker 4: That's what that you're right was going on because I had it to.
Speaker 3: I had to go on to get that girl too.
Speaker 1: And the reason I murpher genuine is because I think, like even as we say, genuine, who is my brother? I don't think he's he's crazy in terms of style, but I think he was such an amazing artist that that part of it didn't really matter for him because he was that amazing of an artist.
Speaker 3: No, but he had a vision.
Speaker 1: He knew, he knew, he knew exactly what you walked in. Not on I give me the green like you gonna wear the green? The green? Okay? Do you think though that artists have been artist artists have been hurt, you know what I mean in terms of their ability to connect to an audience because their styling wasn't right.
Speaker 4: I have to say this, I firmly believe that success as an artist is forty talent, forty low forty sixty percent imagery style because people fall in love with you as a as a thing first the talent and stuff. Of course, it will sustain you and will keep you there. But you have to have the right imaging. You have to have the right imaging. And I just I'll stand behind that, you know, and I'm sure artists and labels will arguably, no, he can sing.
Speaker 1: Right now in four Yeah, they are not going to argue with you.
Speaker 4: They will argue because I even I have gone to labels now, I'm looking at artists now and today they need imaging so bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'll say it like this, they are definitely looking for a certain esthetic. Yeah, that is completely like now. It used to be a time where you used to be able to separate the artists from the other people that were in attendance. It used to be a time. But now that the look, the rap look, the rap street look is I don't know who that is, right, I don't know who has no idea who that is. I don't know which one, but it's it's for some reason that aesthetic is driving the marketplace. Yeah, literally one hundred miles an hour.
Speaker 3: I don't even know what I would do. If they called me and say I.
Speaker 4: Need you to do any of the littles and all those different raps, I'd be like, ooh, I don't know what to put on them.
Speaker 3: I just go in my closet and just bringing some shit.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'd be like I got something I know, I don't know what to do.
Speaker 1: It's like if everybody's trying to find the separation, I think like a guy like Travis Scott has figured out the separation. Yeah, you know what I mean, like and it's subtle, but it's so it's different. I mean, but you you also will myself.
Speaker 4: I want an earring in my nose. I'm like, which rapper I have to think? Like, which one of y'all got earring? Y'all nose copying? No, you can't get that.
Speaker 2: But what happens with like you said, a Travis Scott right or Kendrick Lamar. They also separate themselves by finding you know what I mean, by being like, you know what, I'm not just gonna buy this Montclair puff jacket and these you know, these purple jeans and sagam and be like everybody else. It's like no, no, no, no, no, I'm going to actually go and find what my style is. Like you said, I'm going to go in and now cover this sixty percent because I got my talent.
Speaker 3: Is that what they're doing?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: I think that Kendrick Kendrick definitely for sure.
Speaker 4: But I'm saying I think guys now are just they have huge budgets because they got money and stuff, so they just go like I'm going to Louis Vuitton, I'm gonna buy all the Farraill's new stuff and get the tims.
Speaker 3: And da da da, I'm gonna to Gucci and get all the new.
Speaker 4: They just want the new. They don't care if it's style. I think it's just designer.
Speaker 2: But I think that's the I think that's the pack. Yeah, I think I think that's the pack. But I think the guys that are above that pack from R and b our hip hop art whatever, are still separating themselves. Are still separating themselves, you know what I mean, Like, in my opinion.
Speaker 1: No, no, because you're not going to see anybody with what Beyonce has on. No, when you go see Beyonce and show wherever you pull upon and.
Speaker 3: If you see anybody with it on, they're trying to copy her.
Speaker 1: They took a picture somewhere, so can you make.
Speaker 4: That they like make anything close. Yeah, she's definitely doing original.
Speaker 2: Like what would be your what would be your advice to an artist with selecting a stylist.
Speaker 1: Sitting on the other.
Speaker 4: Side, I would tell an artist to interview a couple of people and number one, see if you match energies, because if she comes in and she's like in.
Speaker 1: My former life stercle, Yeah.
Speaker 4: So you know what I'm saying, if they're not if you don't have the same vibe, you don't even like the same music, that's probably not your person. You need a person that understands your music. Because what I always do, I sit down with a client and I'll say, tell me what you don't like? Okay, what will you what colors do you hate? What will you never wear? That's what I ask, because that eliminates a whole category. Then I have to waste my time in the store picking out gray. And you hate gray, You're never gonna wear gray? So then why do I pull all this gray stuff? So you ask them what they don't You got to learn the mind of the client. And so I would tell an artist who's trying to choose a stylist, make sure she understands who you are and what you're trying to convey, because she needs to want. I always say, send me the music, and you tell somebody. Yeah, they call me and they say, I want you to do I got this new girl, she's done it. I'd be like, send me her music, yeah, and let me listen to it. And if I can close my eyes and say I get it, she's like Megan Trainer or she wants to do adele. She's trying to be you know, and then I can see it. Then I can visualize. Then I say, you know, where's I is. Then I think about what I'm gonna you build it. Styling is more. It's mental because you got to think of you're trying to sell this concept and this image to the masses.
Speaker 3: That's what we're hoping to make some money.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, So that's you know, there's there's a lot more into it. It's not just you like clothes and you you got relationships at Bottega and you can run and go get all the stuff. Botaga may not even be his style. He shouldn't have on one thing Botaga. I don't care if the manager is your cousin, you know what I mean, that ain't his style. It's conservative, it's you know, that's not his look. So yeah, that's that's what's really important. It's not about designers, about understanding the image and the body type.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, yeah, that matters. I think that's the biggest part. Like an artist has to has to understand, like has to be understood.
Speaker 3: They also gotta understand themselves too.
Speaker 1: This is too because I mean, I'll take it from me, like I didn't know what I was supposed to look like. You know what I'm saying. I was. I was a cross between in terms of talent. I was a cross between Brian and Knight and r Kelly and Babyface all all three different spectrums of a of a of a of a style you know what I mean, a style conversation. So I didn't know. I didn't know who it was. So you guys were like, you guys were fostering, you know, those moments for me so that I can identify something or try to. So it took me a minute after that, burn all my stuff in my closet at one time. Because I loved Zara and I think was very dear.
Speaker 3: I loved them.
Speaker 1: I know I loved.
Speaker 2: Anymore.
Speaker 1: They just get me because it's so easy, the cut of I had a relationship with Zara that was unmatched.
Speaker 3: Needs to hire a black designer.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 4: That way, you can marry the two, you know, the European stuff because in the.
Speaker 1: Beginning they had it. In the beginning, that boy was red carpet. You kidding me. I'm like, so you're gonna you're gonna wear that transformers? I remember I remember I was in lived with a couple of pieces. Yeah, and I walked up on Brian. You know, he.
Speaker 3: Knows he gets on, you know, because it's not cut.
Speaker 1: I'm smaller than they make twos. You know what, We'll get out of there, shout out to.
Speaker 3: My brother whatever that's.
Speaker 1: We looked at each other because nobody was in Zoar at that time, and I was like, you know, he's like, nigga, stay out my store.
Speaker 6: Nigga store, nigga claiming, claiming, and then like and then like I just stayed on a few years too long.
Speaker 1: And Jay was like, I think if we're going to go to the next level, we got to start with your styling in the imagery. And I'm like, I'm all ears. I'm like, yeah, they lead the way, Like, show me where I need the bee. He walks in the closet. He's like, we should we should we should burn all of this. You said that we should burn all of that. I was like that we started said burn all that's everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should burn it because we go back to we go back to rite the imagery side of it.
Speaker 1: And in my this is just my opinion.
Speaker 2: And I appreciated my brother for listening to me in that space because.
Speaker 1: He already was. He was tank. It wasn't like I was inheriting something that, oh this is just terrible. You gotta fit.
Speaker 2: No, it's just like, no, okay, what are the little things that what are the tweaks that we can make for the places that we're trying to go right?
Speaker 1: Because you can't.
Speaker 2: It's just you know this from a from a style standpoint, you can't wear the same outfit to different places.
Speaker 1: Some places.
Speaker 2: You know, Hey, if if I'm invited to the White House, I gotta get White House ready.
Speaker 1: Hey, it is what it is.
Speaker 2: So we were trying to elevate R and B music for him. I'm not trying to do it with everybody else. That's that wasn't our plan. It wasn't like, oh, well R and B is this so we now, I'm not telling y'all what to do. We have business together. We're partners in our business. He came up with the name R and B Money. I said, okay, listen, okay, so if we R and B Money, it gotta.
Speaker 3: Look like they gotta feel like it's what I said.
Speaker 1: About my show.
Speaker 3: They wouldn't let me. Yeah, but you're right.
Speaker 2: These are the things that we have to do to get to the places where we're trying to go to. And because sometimes it's not just about the talent or the music, it's the surrounding things that propel those things to propel that thing.
Speaker 1: So now everybody now says, oh, well, now that I think you're fresh, you're talented.
Speaker 4: As hell, by the way you can see by the way you can see that, I could see that many years ago.
Speaker 1: It's tank.
Speaker 2: But I was literally looking at it from a consumer standpoint. What do I see when I see him?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? What do I see when I see her? That's how I've always operated in business.
Speaker 3: You're like artists, development, you get it.
Speaker 1: It's where we all come from. That's where we all come from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's sometimes though, we we forget about that part.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't you think labels and everybody should bring that back?
Speaker 1: Absolutely well, they should bring it back. But it all depends on the business that they're in, Right, If they're in the business of building career artists, then yes, for sure.
Speaker 4: But if they're just in the business resume around trying to get a job doing. Because I wanted to bring it back like Motown used to have.
Speaker 1: But now they're just like what they're just in the business of selling music a piece at a time. Yeah, So the artist technically doesn't matter. The development of the artists technically doesn't matter because they're getting hot off the phone getting.
Speaker 2: The only real option, honestly is to create it and then deliver it. That's I mean, honestly, I mean I understand your mindset of like, yeah, I send it to these labels, so because there's a check involved in that, in it and it keeps it going while you're while you're doing it.
Speaker 1: But the truth of the matter is.
Speaker 2: It's finding and developing it and then saying, hey, you know now, you guys got to pay a premium for it because because we're here now and this you see how polished you.
Speaker 1: Remember, remember that word, this was a word. Polished was a word a word.
Speaker 2: You don't hear it much anymore, that artist polished.
Speaker 1: We don't see it much no more.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, Like, we don't want to Back in the day what they were one hundred.
Speaker 1: It was not.
Speaker 4: You had to have everybody that came out of the machine amazing.
Speaker 1: That's why that's a legendary label. Why those artists a legend because they took that time to develop. Now, like you said, it's it's just a quicker turnover piece of the time. So trying to sell that as I'm just going to come in and work with you, guys are for you. Guys within this space, You're not going to happen. They'll give you a headache.
Speaker 3: I have a clothing brand called Elkish.
Speaker 4: I mean my son's name backwards, Kyle ish Mail was his name. He passed away, so I took his name and I kind of inverted. So all my business endeavors now are dedicated to Kyle. You know, you lose a child, that's where you that's where your mind goes. So I still love style. I still love fashion a little bit, but I love style more than anything. So I have Eli Kish, which is athleisure and luxury lounge wear. So this is like you can, you know, go from the couch to the cabana, you know, if you want to throw it on and you go, you know, from your pool and say let's take a flight and you can throw it on some shoes and you're cute, still comfy, cozy clothing, and then I'm doing animation. Yeah, I'm getting an animation world. So I'm writing stories, you know. I have on my second but I've written two books already. The books here, I stand in a beautiful State. That's my memoir about my life, how I got into styling, et cetera, et cetera. And then I have white Bras and one hundred and one style faux pause. Oh yeah, I'm killing funny. I talk about lace fronts, etiquette on planes. Don't bring a hot as that because think about yo, don't raise it.
Speaker 3: Yes, I talk about that choke you. I will cure you about some curry that and guess what.
Speaker 4: The food may taste good to you, but to the passenger it stinks. Or coming into a space and being loud and obnoxious. I hated it turned you because style is not just what you wear.
Speaker 3: It's the manner in what you do things.
Speaker 4: Your style. That's that's your style of a person. How you just how you move. So I talk about how you move your style. So my book White bra so I have that. I did that first and then I wrote my memoir. Now I'm doing animated children's book as a whole series, The Odd Life of Kyle Lyles is cool. Going to be pop culture heavy, style heavy, of course, and it'll have learning and teachable moments for the kids when they read each episode and each you know, hopefully it'll be a cartoon.
Speaker 3: That's what we're working on getting.
Speaker 1: I mean we of course we're going to support you, but we would love to have some of that on on our bodies. Yeah, some athletes here, because I keep that's a pleasure right there.
Speaker 2: And then you got your show coming on TV.
Speaker 1: Come on, come on, come on, come on, come on with the Rosie cheeks. Let the television. Yeah yeah, yeah, oh god, let the.
Speaker 4: I am going to be on a show on we TV. I'm just really trying to promote my business. I'm just here so I get fine. No, yeah, it's called Bold and Bougie. We're going to we TV February fifteenth premiere. I'm just nervous cause you know, when the edit it, you don't know what's going to happen. So I may be go from cool, you'd be like she needs some style. I'm like, damn, I didn't even say it like that. So you know, bold and Bold and Boosh we TV.
Speaker 1: Bold and Boosh. I know I already know what's so scared. Yeah, we know it's some bad and boo, you know bad there ain't working.
Speaker 3: That's what all everybody does now, So I'm not talking.
Speaker 1: You ain't see that fit. You know, I don't even know how that works right there, They're gonna find a way to work. I don't care. What your don't know.
Speaker 4: Is why wouldn't that become a thing besides back in Africa. So I don't know if the first togist in America the oldest genre to.
Speaker 2: That's a great that's a great question because that's you know, I was gonna say maybe in Adena Howard.
Speaker 5: But she wasn't working.
Speaker 3: She wasn't she was freaking more sexy?
Speaker 1: Can we sexy? Can we give it to Uncle Luke?
Speaker 4: They were starting they were uncle.
Speaker 1: They used to travel with them. I used to love saving lives that they was turning boys to me, ain't nobody tripping out of Uncle Luke? We all Mennonized. We are good.
Speaker 3: I don't know where I was.
Speaker 5: I wasn't there.
Speaker 1: I was a mom and they putting the freaknik Uh documentary, and you.
Speaker 4: Know what, I was already a mom. I wasn't in Atlanta yet, I was styling. I was started heavy during Freaknik. I was getting money back then. That's when the budgets made sense, when.
Speaker 1: The budgets made sense. Yeah, what she got over there, Champ. She's been around a lot of music a long time, a lot of artists. Yeah yeah, I just feel like, you know, in her journeys. What do you think of putting that ship on and putting that ship on people? Yeah, you music while you're doing that. She's uh, she's she's found some favorites. So here on the Army Money Podcast, we like to we like to ask those questions to make a who Show Top fun your top five, top five? Your top five are beasing all this song?
Speaker 5: All them?
Speaker 1: No we want b's got the close and put it off on the show. You've got to tell me your talk. Yes, Rache the brink.
Speaker 5: Five mind Yeah, I share a birthday.
Speaker 1: Mika chocolate, chocolate, all the chocolate. Okay, who is your top five? R N the singers all time?
Speaker 3: Male and female?
Speaker 1: You can make.
Speaker 3: I don't think I'm biased.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, come on, you.
Speaker 3: Crack up in no particular orders. Layla Hathaway, crack up.
Speaker 1: It's amazing to start there.
Speaker 4: It's a raspy situation fire. Okay, that's not fair because you got Laila, then you got Jazmine.
Speaker 1: Okay, come on, talk to you gotta go fast, come on, talk to talk. Yeah sure, okay, come on now, okay, come on now, yeah, they go three. I respect it.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Gotta be in there, come on, come on, come on, chromes in there with the Crown king in there because you were singing.
Speaker 4: Talented individual all right, my last one because I'm not gonna count Mike or Prince because they popped me.
Speaker 3: They're more than.
Speaker 1: You. Do that.
Speaker 3: I know you gotta.
Speaker 1: Don't give them people are king. Don't do that.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to give it to them.
Speaker 1: Jackson said it. Okay, that's all.
Speaker 3: That's Michael Jackson.
Speaker 1: The muscles.
Speaker 4: That ain't fair because okay, I lived with that. I'm saying I got about four because I ain't say Patty and nobody, but okay, my people, it's like my people.
Speaker 3: Patty is my mama.
Speaker 1: That's listen. Give me Patty too now that of course, give me young Patty.
Speaker 3: That's my girl.
Speaker 1: She used to be.
Speaker 4: She still she'll call me and be like, I don't care what you're doing on King Labor.
Speaker 3: I got these Grammys. I'm going to I'll be like.
Speaker 2: When she calls you next time, tell her that the R and B Money Podcast need for Sure on the show listen.
Speaker 1: I like Philadelphia. If I need to go to Philadelphia, I go to Philadelpia will cook for y'all, love food. I stay home.
Speaker 4: All I'm gonna say is considerate done all that's my family.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give you Street Publishing for when I use say. I'm gonna say it's considerate period. I'm not gonna add that we got when you don't worry about it, it's not here. We go your top five R and B songs, the.
Speaker 3: Jam, the times they're not people her her okay.
Speaker 1: Listening let them then you're let them discover it.
Speaker 4: Y'all gonna be mad. But guess what song I like before I met you?
Speaker 3: Do you know the song.
Speaker 1: Before I met you? Who's before I met you?
Speaker 3: It's on the Here I Stand album Liberian Girl.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 1: I used to love Liberian Girl. Yeah. I think I played him like twenty or thirty times in a row one day. It's a love that song.
Speaker 4: Needa Baker got to feel the need in me, feel the need you going there?
Speaker 1: Oh? Okay, we gotta feel good music got as.
Speaker 3: And then I couldn't love you more.
Speaker 1: M hmm. You're gonna go from a need to shot my playlist. Yeah, this is a Jesus with a song.
Speaker 3: That's such a song vibe if time was running out, I.
Speaker 1: Just talk about vibes. I mean she is about oh my God, something something about Hathaway. We got five, we got take that. Okay, let's do this. We do a thing called a vultron R and B vultron. It's an R and B super artist where you take different elements of different artists and make one artist. So you would have to get the vocal from an artist, the performance style from an artist, the styling from an artist, and the passion of the artist, the heart of the artist. Who would you get for your vocal one artist to build your super R and B artist.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, nobody's going to argue that she's so.
Speaker 1: Bad performance style on stage? Sum Okay, okay, okay, okay. The styling, come on, you know what I mean, because it's cool. I love that. I love that, the passion of the artists, the heart of the artists.
Speaker 3: You can have two for that one.
Speaker 1: Yes, you can't.
Speaker 3: Okay, you can't beyon. There's some hard working people.
Speaker 4: I will say, hands down, I don't know people that work like I sign up to sundown kind of working like never tired, like round the clock, must be done, must be done, and we'll get it done. They're chasing perfection perfectionists, Yeah, chasing.
Speaker 1: But you you if there's that, that's that's a separation. I promise you it's a separation.
Speaker 4: If I could say this, hands down, that is the key. You know there's a person that can outwork you. Yep, they will outwork you. They just they will outwork you.
Speaker 1: It's you can tell where they are, they.
Speaker 3: Will out work you.
Speaker 1: You're gonna You're gonna add that extra segment for who's Who's Who's gonna style the artists?
Speaker 3: Not because that's too much.
Speaker 1: Not me.
Speaker 3: I really love whose fantasious style is? His name is?
Speaker 1: I love who's doing the work right now, right now, right now, I love him whoever I know who is either because somebody just mentioned fantasious.
Speaker 3: Great the other day, he's great, You're great. God, I hate that.
Speaker 1: M gonna. I mean, I will say what the last year or.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, cooking only because the camera's on, I can't remember it because please don't take it as a sign of disrespect, because I have.
Speaker 3: Told him you, I've tagged him. What is his d hawk? You're killing it?
Speaker 1: Cooking, Yes, cooking, cooking. We got we got, we got one more thing this, but we get out here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, come on, come on, I'm gonna take the church.
Speaker 1: About to go to the church. Take the check. I ain't saying non Hey, I ain't saying no names. Ain't saying no names. No na, who was? Who was weird? What you did? Don't say?
Speaker 7: She sat always breaking?
Speaker 3: So I can't stand what did he break?
Speaker 1: Who knows? Who knows?
Speaker 5: Key?
Speaker 1: He can afford it?
Speaker 4: Key rule?
Speaker 2: So yes, so this uh, speaking of rules, the rule to this game is you can't say no names. So you tell us a story funny or fucked up? Are funny and fucked up?
Speaker 5: Mm hmmm?
Speaker 1: And the journeys.
Speaker 2: Huh yeah, town business herself huh yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: If you don't say no names, you ain't.
Speaker 5: Like you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: And the only rude to the game is just can't say no names. Give us one, Come on, give us some.
Speaker 3: What's a question? Get to it?
Speaker 1: It ain't no questions.
Speaker 2: You you tell us a story without saying no names. It's a funny our fuck up story are funny and fucked up story.
Speaker 1: No names, no name, that's all. It's very simple.
Speaker 3: I had a client. Here we go like here go.
Speaker 4: I have client that once wanted to wear something so badly that they could not fit this garment. So they did their album cover and the entire back of the jacket was cut open and reassembled by just what I would refer to as nar Riannarrian.
Speaker 3: It's a nigg rigged outfit.
Speaker 1: So the outfit has no back to it.
Speaker 3: Should there have been a drone, we all have gone home.
Speaker 1: What Wow?
Speaker 3: Yeah, just cut the back out whole album cover. This is a great album. People love it and know it. And yeah, she's he or she is backless.
Speaker 1: Wow. For the drip.
Speaker 3: For the drip, it was not near this person's size, but we from the front it definitely was.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 3: That tells you how far we go for the rip, for the drip and and for the image.
Speaker 1: Add to that, if it was a consignment piece or at this point.
Speaker 4: Now you gotta buy it, well you can't buy it, like if it's a sample and it's something that's not out yet.
Speaker 3: And we're pre season, which we generally were. You can't buy it, you just pretty gotta explain or you got to have it read. You assembled before, Well you can reassemble it before.
Speaker 1: They can't reassemble the jacket on the scene.
Speaker 5: What do you mean.
Speaker 3: Jackets have seen kind of jacket any jack you're.
Speaker 1: In the back.
Speaker 3: Well, no, because that's not fair neo pre that's not fair.
Speaker 1: On but she kicked she kicking that knowledge right now. I have no idea what what? What is what?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the fabrication. He can go diving in it.
Speaker 1: You can go to school. I wish he would cracking up. He my dad would be like, come up the water like this on you come man. He just gave him a bad idea.
Speaker 3: Get your goggles, rich me.
Speaker 1: Some goggles.
Speaker 4: See I sell games to be sold though, Yeah, yeah, no, definitely go.
Speaker 3: Strike that from the record.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna twenty five right because he need the other twenty five.
Speaker 3: You know what, that's actually the dope, bad idea.
Speaker 1: It's really dope.
Speaker 3: Was My brain though, is rapid fire like that.
Speaker 4: And that's why I don't be talking on He's god damn podcast you're talking.
Speaker 1: About he's talking on our to me and Scob Steve.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Alcleman tank.
Speaker 4: That's a whole campaign though for those now I think about it, Oh, I just thought of a whole bunch of sh oh rich hollo at me because richt us now us.
Speaker 1: Now we are because because I managed manage, I managed the idea to think, thank you coming to get it right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a really dope platform you guys have.
Speaker 1: Thank you, And I think it was.
Speaker 5: Just you know for us, like.
Speaker 1: First you're you are the first style icon to be on the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you, no more.
Speaker 1: Jealous said we want to we want to give some want.
Speaker 3: They all get able to take all the credit. And then you know I had got the hanger that you put that on the you were first.
Speaker 4: They will come, They be coming with was the one that ran and got the lips coming.
Speaker 1: In here to undermine what you have created?
Speaker 3: They do they do every day. I see, I hear it.
Speaker 1: Listen you.
Speaker 4: I mean my class call me like was it you they got the jacket or was it her that got Like I'm not one to put the custom buttons on it in the embroidery and the yeah so yeah, yeah, so.
Speaker 1: Listen to Mika my birthday twin yeah, uh twenty four birthday twin twenty four years in. Yeah, you know, it's always been love.
Speaker 4: I know, I love all of my clients. Can I tell you everybody have ever styled? They're like family because it's it goes, it transcends your style and dressing and socks and whatever in bibbles. It's it's it's kind of a mindset again, a meeting of the minds. And we talk and we'll be and I'll be like you think you know, we've been in the trailer, like I don't think that. Nah, that color is not going that's gonna look terrible on camera.
Speaker 3: You see all that going on.
Speaker 4: You don't want to have those patterns moving. So, like we really talk and get into it's kind of psychological. So you know, people always ask like, how do you marry one of your clients?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean? I know you know, but that's how because you become very very good.
Speaker 1: For me to start sharing that space, you really do, and you become.
Speaker 4: Really really close friends and you gotta hang out whatever whatever, and then here we are, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: It just happens, you're like BFFs. We really become close.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well you my dog, my dog, and we appreciate you. And I appreciate you for doing it because we talked about it. I told you want to have you on yeah, and you said you can come and you can thank you, and so we really appreciate it because it's like it's the information that these these young entrepreneurs need and a lot of this information it transcends all workspaces. It's true, you know what I mean, the biggest one, biggest lesson of them all. It's just hard work. It's hard to the craft.
Speaker 4: And if I were to get one tidbit of advice to any when you are working with anybody that you you know you're aspiring a style or assist or whatever it is, remain professional.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Professionalism is so important because it's easy in such a personal job to kind of cross the lines, you know, and kind of like if they hear you talking and chime in like, hey, you know, don't do it, YEA mine live long in this business seriously, So I always try to tell me professionalism is key, and present yourself in such a way that you want you know that you want to win.
Speaker 3: And that wants you back.
Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen, I'm my name is Chang and this is the R and Money podcast, the authority on all kind things. Yeah, tell them about it. R and B. Come on, man, you put that ship on around Yeah, and we got one of the originators that put it on me Money.
Speaker 2: R and B Money is a production of the Black Effect Podcast Network. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. Don't forget to subscribe to and rate our show, and you can connect with us on social media at Jay Valentine and at the Real Tank. For the extended episode, subscribe to YouTube dot com or slash R and B Money