Speaker 1: On today's episode of I didn't know. Maybe you didn't either.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you a question, do you have a man made lake in your city or town? Cause if you do, there might be some black bodies under there. And I had absolutely no clue.
Speaker 1: I didn't know. Maybe you didn't. I didn't no, I didn't know. Maybe I didn't know. I didn't know. Maybe you didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't know.
Speaker 1: I didn't know. I didn't know. I didn't know.
Speaker 2: Did you know that black American town are under man made lakes?
Speaker 1: Some of them Lake Lanier in Georgia. It's beautiful. Folks go there the boat fish jet ski.
Speaker 2: It's named after a poet, Sydney Lanier, and Lake Lanier was formed in nineteen fifty six by the Chattahoochee River. Now fifty years prior to that, it was a black town called Oscarville, where about eleven hundred black people live. It will burn to the ground in nineteen twelve and all the residents were forced out. See Rob Edwards. Ernest Knox and Oscar Daniel were teenagers, and they were arrested for the rape and murder of a young white woman in nineteen twelve. Now Rob Edwards They drug him about of jail, beat him with a crowbar, and lynched him from a telephone pole. The other two gentlemen, Daniel and Knox, they were sent to trial and found guilty on the same day the boys were sentenced to death by hanging. Now afterwards white men named themselves the night Riders, but they weren't cool with a talking car. Some of you might not get that reference, so I'm gonna move on. But those night Riders of nineteen twelve, oh, they forced black folks up out of town. They burned their homes, burned their land, burned their churches, burned their schools, and once the black families fled, Lake Lanier was built on top of what was burned down. Fifty years later, Lake Martin in Alabama, A black town is under there. Kowaliga, home to the first black owned railroad started by William E. Benson, and the Black School Kowaliga Academic and Industrial Institute, all under Lake Martin in Alabama. And it's not just lakes, oh No, they put parks on top of black towns too. Back in season one, we talked about the western edge of Central Park in New York City. A black town is under there, Seneca Village even where I live, Charlotte, North Carolina, home to the Panthers, the Hornets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I know, chill. The city is suffering and.
Speaker 2: The state's largest man made lake, Lake Norman. It covers more than thirty two acres five hundred and twenty miles of shoreline, and it's got tons of history underneath.
Speaker 1: It's cotton mills under there.
Speaker 2: An entire Revolutionary War battlefield from seventeen eighty one is under there, remnants of old plantations and homes and highways, an abandoned airplane crash. So today's episode of I didn't know, maybe you didn't either.
Speaker 1: You've got homework.
Speaker 2: If there's a man made lake in your town, do a little research and see what was up under that out before they put ward on copper Us because it's black Town's under some of these man made lakes.
Speaker 1: And I didn't know. Maybe you didn't either. No,