Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: What's Up?
Speaker 3: This is unpaid bill from Quest Love Supreme. On Today's Classic QLs. We travel back to January of twenty twenty two for our conversation with the legend Dougie Fresh. This is part one.
Speaker 2: Shall we started?
Speaker 4: We can't do call Dog such a roll call episode?
Speaker 2: Are you.
Speaker 5: Yell it out?
Speaker 2: I will think of a solution so we can get back to le call audio. Can you work on I actually thought.
Speaker 6: Of one today, Like we can just we can just do our own, our own verse by ourselves. We can say that yeah, and the supreme is ourselves.
Speaker 7: But the whole thing is the reaction to you what the other person.
Speaker 8: Says exactly and then and then our guest wants to hear.
Speaker 4: They can kind of get an idea.
Speaker 2: Sometimes well okay, I'll think I got a good idea.
Speaker 6: We go back into a studio in person with people and we do our role calls there. Now I'm good on that, all right, Fante? You can always be even if we're live all together in a studio with a.
Speaker 2: Guest being yeah, we just passed you.
Speaker 5: I'm I'm with it.
Speaker 3: Can we make Fonte like Max headrom though, like he's just like on a TV.
Speaker 2: You can just see his head. Can I start this please? Oh?
Speaker 7: No, small talk, ladies and gentlemen. Yeah, that was the small talk. Ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to another episode of Quest Love Supreme. I'm your host Quest Love and the Supreme team is with me strong all five of you or four of you? I still don't know the proper number anyway. Uh unpaid bill, Congratulations, Thanks friend. I think you're yeah, you're you're you're doing big things in your life right now. What you got going on?
Speaker 3: Thanksgiving?
Speaker 2: Uh? Grammys? Uh, movies. Uh, that's it. That's all you can ask for life jobs. I'm good.
Speaker 7: I was like, life is good, brother, good still dropping. I kind of kind of at the point where you were, well, I kind of hit a plateau in Yeah. So I'm down probably like thirty right now. I'm down probably like thirty seven, you know what I mean. And so I've been just switch it up a little bit, and I'm gonna start going meatless.
Speaker 5: Maybe like one or two days a week, just to try, you know.
Speaker 2: I see.
Speaker 5: So, uh, we're we're switching it up a little bit.
Speaker 7: Well, I'm about to let you know this what my heck? I got dandy lion, garlic, spinach, and cucumber. So hopefully this will do the trick and get me off that plateau. I was just gonna eat some sweet potatoes. But yeah, I'm gonna think less. See that'll do it. That'll do it. Yeah, that called will put it on you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm good. Still got the three jobs. Moving down to where the black folks live in l A. Really excited.
Speaker 5: You got a new apartment, talk about it.
Speaker 2: Apartment right now?
Speaker 8: Yeah, no, this is my mama house. But in LA, I got me in a nice spot. So now my parents got another bed sleeping. I ain't got to sleep on the couch.
Speaker 4: And I'm down with a black folks.
Speaker 2: Where do black people live in l A?
Speaker 8: Just if they're lucky there? They live in South La Inglewood, you know I live. I got I'm letting the murder by the drum circle and whatnot, which is kind of like, really dope, it's being highly gentrified right now because that's where the stadium is and then putting in the train, so LA is it really expansion gentrification on level three.
Speaker 2: The football stadium?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I went there to see uh the last Rolling Stones La Show. Yeah, I heard it, and I didn't realize they dropped that joint like right in the middle of the hood.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right in Inglewood.
Speaker 7: The second you step off the pavement, you're definitely in Inglewood.
Speaker 8: Yes, it's not as long as that people can afford to stay.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's yeah, right right right in the middle of it.
Speaker 2: Steve, how are you? Yes, I'm good. How are you okay? Where am I? How are you? Yeah? I know where you are. Okay.
Speaker 7: Let your many followers know that you're good. Yeah, boss man, and congrats on the witch Call. We forgot to congratulation well the Oscars and all that, But then the short film you did shout Okay, you didn't realize I directed a second film. Sometimes when when when there's a little buzz on you and then people start and you know, I got a call from a team hove to uh settle.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 7: The thing was is that I knew without something on that level, he would not come to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. So I told the staff, let me direct something and that will lure him to it.
Speaker 2: Without that, he wouldn't have come. He would have just you know, phoned in.
Speaker 4: All right, this.
Speaker 2: Is probably the longest.
Speaker 7: Wow, we never going to four minutes without even acknowledging our guests right now, we haven't.
Speaker 4: Talked in a while. We sorry, guests, we.
Speaker 5: Haven't talked to It's been a minute, Okay.
Speaker 7: So what I will quickly say about our guest today is, if if I were compiling a list of the most charismatic figures in hip hop or maybe in music, I wouldn't hesitate to put this gentleman. This gentleman will probably and I'm trying to keep the quest level hyperbole down to a minimum, he's probably, if not in my top three, maybe he is my number one most charismatic figure that I know in hip hop. And the evidence of that for me is, and I'm going beyond hip hop and going to music, the evidence is in the in the thirty five years that I've been fortunate enough to see him perform. Throughout those decades, I've never not seen him elevate any event.
Speaker 2: To the highest level.
Speaker 7: Like I've never seen him walk in any situation with fear or trepidation. It's and to me, like, you know, I'm a guy who wire overthinking like oh, I can't go out there. You know, they don't know who I am whatever, like, forget generational, forget genre. I've seen him rock with you know, Prince Tom, Cruise, Heavy D, Chuck Brown, like every from every genre I've just he's the the most charismatic and you know, stupid charismatic. Will Smith's charismatic. I can name a gazillion Jay Z's charismatic. But you know this, our gentleman, This, our guest today is.
Speaker 5: The world's greatest entertainer.
Speaker 7: Yes, literally, lady ladies and gentlemen, our guest today is officially known for the and not for the Please give it up for Doug E.
Speaker 2: Fresh on Quest Left Supreme.
Speaker 9: Flowers. Let me tell you it is an honor.
Speaker 10: It is an honor, and I appreciate y'all giving me or rather having such a long delay on the introduction because I felt because I felt like I got caught up with all of y'all too, and I felt like it was family conversation and I was able to hear it close up in person, you know. So yeah, thank you and thank you for having me on your show, Quest, I appreciate it.
Speaker 9: With the Supreme Team and that name Supreme Team.
Speaker 10: Hip Hip Hop for y'all to use that name is a very powerful thing because back on w HBI it was the world famous supreme.
Speaker 9: Team show Keys, Holla and Justice.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I know you did.
Speaker 10: That's what look, you are the ultimate collector. So I know that when I mentioned something like that, you would you either know it or you would appreciate it, you know. So I and I appreciate you, and I appreciate you having me on your show.
Speaker 9: Thank you know what I.
Speaker 7: Think, Even though I'm going to start before that, I do believe that you are indeed, and I think about till today, you are indeed the first beat boxer the world has seen, because I believe that your cameo and Beat Street did predate the Fat Boys. So even though you know, a lot of the world credits Buffy, rest in peace to Buffy as the first beat boxer they ever seen. If we really look at the timeline for all this hip hop heads that saw Beat Street in nineteen eighty three, the disco three Fat Boys didn't come out until nineteen eighty four, so technically, and it's weird, I don't think at the time, and I remember the Christmas rap from Beat Street. I think at the time you might have been so effortless in doing what you were doing. I don't think it even registered to us that you were doing drums with your mouth.
Speaker 2: Right, you know what I mean.
Speaker 9: And it was a funny.
Speaker 10: It was us trying to make people kind of laugh and feel good. But it's deep that you picked that up because I actually did the movie at the time, because there was a scout who went up to Savoy Matter and I was performing on that show with the Crash Crew, Master Don and the Deaf Committee, and I believe at that time. I don't think the foss MC's was on that show at the time, but I performed there and then she gave me a card. And when she gave me a card that said Beach Street on it, she said, do you want to be in a movie? Because what you're doing would be unbelievable to seeing a movie. And I'm gonna tell you some information. So I went there and he started to see what I do, and he was like, I don't care what I gotta do, I gotta get you in this movie now. Originally run DMC was supposed to be in Beach Street. What And That's what I'm telling you. I think you know, I'm give you the.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I know. Well y'all, well, y'all done, ran to the right y'all.
Speaker 10: And ran in the right store tonight because this and everything and by the way and everything is free, just by the way, just so you know, it's.
Speaker 9: Just free. So they're right.
Speaker 10: So but this is how it went. I was supposed to do beat when I was doing Beach Street. Harry Belafonte wanted me to do something where this thing with the beat box could be showcased. So what happened is Run, DMC and Russell came up there and they were going to be in Beach Street, but I don't think Russell felt good about them just doing a little segment in it. He wanted them to do more. And then we and then it was me run in the elevator and d M s see and in the room. So they started doing one of their records, the rhyms to the second album that came out, the beat that sound a little bit like suck MC's.
Speaker 9: I don't know the exact song, but they was saying.
Speaker 2: The King of Rocket album.
Speaker 9: The next album, right, yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: Right, the last song inside too.
Speaker 9: It got done. Yeah, I got like a little it got a little kind of thing to it.
Speaker 10: So I'm in the elevator and we started doing it and he said, and he looked at Russell and he said, Yo.
Speaker 9: This will be crazy.
Speaker 10: We should get Dug to do the beatbox on this, and we could do this whole thing in the movie with And then we started coming up with the idea to do it, and then and then Harry was excited about it. But then Russell pulled out. And after he pulled out, then he brought in Treacherous three. And when he brought in Treacher's Three, Treacher's Three knew me as a kid because they knew me from going into Bobby Robinson's record shop or all the time. So when they seen me, they said, hey, you know, Harry said, mister Bellafonte said, you know, is it any way that you can have Dougie do this with you? Because I think this routine is unbelievable. So if you listen to the rhyme, they mentioned me multiple times and the rhyme, he said, you know, you know that kid Dougie fresh from down the block, because I.
Speaker 9: Really lived down the block, you know, so when.
Speaker 2: You were their labelmates too, because the right.
Speaker 10: Right, I was yeah, yeah, yeah, no, no, just Having Fun came out on on Enjoy. But what happened is that that was after, you know, Treacher's three was already established.
Speaker 9: But I let out Just Having Fun and.
Speaker 10: I did the movie because at the time, I felt like I needed to let people who understand the beat Box and I needed to do something, and I started to see a lot of.
Speaker 9: People trying to, you know, kind of kind of go there with it.
Speaker 10: In the time we grew up in hip hop, it was about being as original as possible, so if you did something, it would be considered biting. But see, biting was only considered bad because the only way to make hip hop survive and to be pure creatively, it was necessary for you to feel that kind of pressure.
Speaker 9: So somebody say you're a bito. That was kind of like the worst thing that you can ever be called in your life, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: It was crazy?
Speaker 10: Well, okay, and the be Box was made up in eighty I introduced it in eighty two, but I made it up in eighty one. See, because I started in eighty one at Harlem World.
Speaker 9: That's where I started.
Speaker 10: And when I made it, I made it because I used to play the trumpet and when I played the trumpet.
Speaker 9: I used to.
Speaker 10: There was a teacher in my class named brother Lee. Brother Lee was I went to as two A one and Brother Lee really quick. Brother Lee was in there and he said, what do you want to play? And I pointed to the percussions and the drums. He said, well, you can't play that jet. You got to play the trumpet.
Speaker 9: I said, well, why you asked me, Brother Lee, I mean baby, and he said he said, I understand, He said, but I want you to play the trumpet. So I took the trumpet home every day.
Speaker 10: And when I took the trumpet home, I would practice it, take the mouthpiece, boil it, do the whole thing, do all of the exercises. And then one day when I came back to school, Brother Lee was gone because they cut all the music programs in school. So I gave them the trumpet back. And I was still walking home. And when I was walking home, I would pass by the mom and pop record shops. So at that time Grandma asked a flash hat out. It was a Friday night. Everybody was freaking the highs right and I would always say it, right there you go, and I would always hear the baseline and when I would hear the baseline, then all of a sudden, I hear all of these other things.
Speaker 9: So I would walk back and forth and I would just kind of try to keep adding more and more and more.
Speaker 10: Ideas to the beat, to the point that I had maybe seven eight nine things going on at the same time.
Speaker 9: I'm not thinking.
Speaker 10: And I'm going crazy now, but I'm not thinking about it, right, let me tell you this true story. I'm not thinking about it. So then I go to Barry's house where we used to practice, because me and Will Barry b that's right, we go over there and practice because that was the practice house.
Speaker 9: Long story short.
Speaker 10: I'm in there doing the beatbox and I'm doing I think I was doing in Peace to President because it's like.
Speaker 9: Right, and I'm going to piece the president. And then all of a.
Speaker 10: Sudden his mother comes in the room and say, that was a nice beat. I liked that beat that was playing. And he said, Ma, that wasn't the record.
Speaker 9: That was him. And now he said that was him, and then she said, well, whatever it was, it was a nice beat.
Speaker 10: And then he turned around and looked at me and said, yo, you know what you should do that in the big Park tomorrow because Mike and Dave was throwing jams out in.
Speaker 9: The Big Park. He said, Yo, you should call it the human beat Box. I said, I'm not going to do that. That's crazy.
Speaker 10: I'm not doing that. You're trying to make me look crazy. He said, I'm telling you, yo, what you just did was crazy. So then I went out to the Big Park and when I did it, everybody lost their mind.
Speaker 9: And that was the beginning of the Beatbox.
Speaker 7: And that was nineteen eighty one. That was okay, eighty two. What Burrow did you premiere that in?
Speaker 9: I premiered it in Harlem. I prepared it in Harlem.
Speaker 10: And then after which was a fascinating piece that I think you'll appreciate too, is that Curtis Blow came out with one hundred and twenty fifth Street, the people laying the concrete, and it was on you know, you know, you know, you're like, you know, So what happened? Craziest story? I was doing the Beatbox. I was on Flyers with the Cold Crush, Busy Bee with the Funky four with Fantastic with treacherous street feelers like I'm on I'm rolling now.
Speaker 9: So now what happened Is.
Speaker 10: Curtis Blow was outside and this was the first time Harllow Week had somebody up. Curtis Blow was the first hip hop artist to perform at Harllow Week. Before that, it was never no hip hop. So when Curtis Blow was there, they forgot to give him turntables because it wasn't normal. So I'm walking down the street. But I'm walking down the street.
Speaker 9: They see me. No, that's Dougie Fresh right there.
Speaker 10: No Dougie come over here, and Curtis said to me, He said, Dougie, is it possible for you to get on and do the beatbox for me? Because I have no turntables, the band, there's no band. The band only know how to play for whoever's getting on next. There's no CD, there was no cassette, there was nothing. I was standing there.
Speaker 9: I was like this crazy Curtis Blow is asking me to get on with him. Are you crazy? I was like, oh, mister Blow, Uh, no problem, sir, I reckon. You do that right, sir.
Speaker 10: That I got on and when I got on, Frankie Krocker was on BLS. And this is when Harlem Week was big, so it was probably like fifteen thousand people outside, I got on and I did the beat box and that was the first time Curtis Blow heard the beat box.
Speaker 9: And that was way before the fire Boys.
Speaker 2: Okay, se y'all.
Speaker 9: Did see ya. That's why I'm giving you that feet.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 9: And then I asked them later. I asked some later. I said, curt when you did this and you know that I create, you know you know that I did this, I said, it didn't feel a little funny with you in there doing doing. He said, Dougie, you know, he just asked me to come in and produce. And he said, I said, I'm just trying to understand.
Speaker 10: I said, did you He said, Dougie, it was just so crazy. I was under so much. I said, I don't worry about it, man, I said, I just wanted to know, you know what I mean, because if I did it for you, you called me to do it, then it was kind of strange for me to hear that you produced the fact voice and then the tradition and hip hop was not about you when you do something, see you, you're trying to create your own sigmaents you were looking to do and I didn't need to.
Speaker 9: Do to beat box. I just it found me.
Speaker 8: And there had to be a life lesson in that though, Doug, don't you feel like at the end of the days that you were so young and that happened to you, You feel like in retrospect, was there some type of life lesson and that Yeah, you.
Speaker 9: Know what's interesting with the life lesson? I always feel this way, and this is the truth. I say to myself.
Speaker 10: If the music program was never cut at I is two o one and Brother Lee was no.
Speaker 9: Longer there, would I have created the beat box? I don't know.
Speaker 10: And then on top of that, what's really fascinating is Brother Lee.
Speaker 9: Later on I found out it's Malcolm Lee's father. Why brother Lee is also a jazz musician whose brother is Spike Lee.
Speaker 2: Billy was your teacher.
Speaker 9: Malcolm Lee's father was your music teacher.
Speaker 10: And then guess what When when I made my records and I came out, I found out.
Speaker 9: I said, I got to talk to Brother Lee and I'm going.
Speaker 4: To ask you what was you gonna say?
Speaker 5: Well, I'm I'm the.
Speaker 9: Trumpet about.
Speaker 10: I said, I said, Brother Lee, I'm getting ready to perform at Madison Square Garden. I said, I want you to know that I made up this thing called the beatbox, and I made it up because of you having me play the trumpet. And I said, you know, I want you to perform with me at the garden. He said, Dougie, I'm so proud of you. He said, but man, I don't know if I can handle performing at the garden. He was a jazz physician. He said, I might be too much for me. I said, well, I just want you to know that what you did and what and what happened from from the way all of these things landed turn this thing into something that in hip hop we call the fifth element. And I just want you to know that you are the reason or one of the reasons how this thing became what it is and it was the deepest thing in the world. And then I wound up working with his son Malcolm on Girl Trip and and and it's fascinating circle ties together.
Speaker 7: I have a theory, especially in hip hop, those who pioneer, those who go first, really never get the glory.
Speaker 2: Those who go second always get the shine.
Speaker 7: So yes, I think in this case, because we technically think of you as the second, you also improved or be boxing even though you were the first, and even though you came out with a single, the original human Betpop whatever. Right, I still say that, you know, it's a good thing you came second, because I don't know why, but it's just like, you know, Marley Marrole started the noise thing, but then the Bomb Squad came in and really started the noise thing.
Speaker 9: You know, they weren't there right right.
Speaker 7: East, these first white rappers, and yeah they had success, but Eminem really like, whoever does it second in hip hop always capitalizes it better. We gotta stuff from the beginning. First of all, where were you born? Where were you born?
Speaker 10: I was born here in the US, but as a kid, I was taken back and forth to Barbados. So it's kind of like you would consider it kind of like a dual dig it citizenship in a kind of a way, you know, because as a kid, that's how my parents kind of moved. And then my grandfather's from Trinidad and my grandma's from Barbados, so they was kind of they didn't know whether I should stay in Barbados or should I be.
Speaker 7: So then I'll ask you then when people are asking you about the origins of hip hop and being as though a lot of the first generation of that culture came from the Islands. Do you do you what is your true belief on where hip hop was born? Is it the Bronx or do we have to say that technically you know the composites of all the residents of the islands, that's where it was born. And what are you seeing on these islands that lead you because something's happening there that's bringing it to America.
Speaker 9: So right right, it's a very interesting question.
Speaker 10: Well, my sister introduced me to hip hop here in the US, but my family was so diverse in their music selection that it made it easy for me to take Soca reggae and Go Go and R and B and all of these other musics, and it just it.
Speaker 9: Was just one of these things where you're influenced by all of these things, but in the form of hip hop in the way that I learned it, because I am the first child of the first generation in hip hop, meaning that I am the beginning of like all of these people that came before me. I learned from DJ Hollywood. So my sister came home and said, there is this guy named DJ Hollywood who's rapping. I said, let me hear what he say. She said, he go ring a.
Speaker 10: Dinger ding the dong, the dong dong, the dang the dang dang, d ding the dong dong to the hip hop.
Speaker 9: She wopped the box before anything I've ever heard.
Speaker 10: And when she told me, say it again, say it again, and I'm trying to catch it.
Speaker 9: Then my brother brought in a tape with Grandma's top flies in the series five, and when he brought these pieces in, and then my family lived in the Bronx and also in Harlem.
Speaker 10: So the point I'm making is that in the form that I learned hip hop here, meaning like I think the influence goes back way further than we really understand stand. But the pieces that I learned from watching Hollywood, watching Our love Bugstarsky, being able to sit on the side of the stage at Harlem World when Busy the Battle Kumo d being there in the contest. I was in that contest in eighty one. So we were taking all of these elements as far as like weird it it originate, It originated in Harlem, it originated in the Bronx, it originated in Brooklyn.
Speaker 9: There was movements going on all over.
Speaker 4: Do you guys attribute as we we have some historians here. I'm curious.
Speaker 8: I'm like, do you attribute any of this to like scatting and at all? Or do you just go straight to the well.
Speaker 10: That's why I'm saying on the levels, because see, if you're looking at it on the levels that I'm talking about, you could say Calypso and Soca, our original storytellers. You could say Yellow Man and Nico Demus, and you can go back even further than that, but just use them as a blue print. I'm getting married and the morning, you know, like like all of these different pieces is what made up what we do.
Speaker 9: And then even and this is.
Speaker 10: My experience, you know that that I seen all of these elements come together, and they were influencing me. Whenever I would go to a certain borough in the Bronx, I would get a particular kind of hip hop. When I'm in Harlem, I watch Hollywood burn the Apollo down. See, Hollywood is the architect of crowd participation, and I learned I learned the skill directly from him. So I know I know things about it that nobody You will never know this because it doesn't exist.
Speaker 9: Any like he had it.
Speaker 10: He gave it to me and I understand the dynamics of it that like be another kid might not like Batman's school grew up watching me, so he understands some of the dynamics of it. So what I'm saying is is that it just kept evolving because everybody was doing it in their own experience. So I can only respond to the experience that I had.
Speaker 9: But I was in all of the burrows, most of the burrows, studying it, you know.
Speaker 7: Okay, So that leads me to what I said at the at the top of the show, which is the thing that I admire and the thing that I want to learn from you the most. Tarik actually learned this from you. You have a way of commanding the crowd that's not forced because usually in hip hop people have to at least the modus operandi. Yeah, the modus operandi rus Come. It's a full twelve yelling and like the idea of what you imagine, like Freddie Fox to be like shoe off the microphone.
Speaker 2: But you, but you are.
Speaker 7: So the thing that made me pay attention to your your crowd control. And the thing is is like the one level that I lack in my life journey is the ability to really communicate in a way that I'm not in my head like you know, because this is the thing, like right before I address a crowd or whatever, suddenly I'm in my head, like, man, I want to look like a nut out here.
Speaker 2: So what I want to.
Speaker 7: Know is I'm certain now that this is like your fourth decade in the industry, that now you just do it out off of muscle in marine, like you know how to capture the crowd. But in those first ten years, like even without the show in Lottie Dottie, Like, in those first ten years, how are you psyching yourself up? Because you, you, to me, are like hip hop's true version. I've seen most stuff do this. Also, you're the true version of like when I watch a comedian do crowd work. You know, even without a single, without a song, you walk on the stage, you know how to engage the crowd, how to talk to them, things to do, and it always works.
Speaker 2: Like I know you've seen you learn it from Hollywood.
Speaker 7: But for the first ten years, like the first five years, say okay, right before the show eighty four, you're doing CrowdWork, Like what are you saying to yourself before, Like are you ever nervous in any situation, like damn, who I got tonight?
Speaker 2: A bunch of white people at a corporate party? Like how do I do this? Like?
Speaker 9: Wow, right, I remember we did that. We did a corporate party together one time. I remember that time.
Speaker 2: There's no crowd, you can't frock.
Speaker 7: So what is your what is your motivational I need the motivational talk on how you deal with crowd work and why do you do so well?
Speaker 10: I used to see Apollo want to sing a come out and he sing and I watched him practice before he got on.
Speaker 9: He'll be like this. I believe he's.
Speaker 10: Singing the notes and everything is tight. It's he's pictures perfect. When the showtime starts and he walks out there, I believe it.
Speaker 9: And the audience boom right before he even finishes.
Speaker 10: It's because they feel the frequency of fear. And when they smell it and they feel it, they automatically get out of here.
Speaker 9: Man, Yo, were you don't believe it?
Speaker 5: You don't believe it, We believe.
Speaker 9: Get out, yo. Who's next? Now?
Speaker 10: If it's a little kid, If it's a little kid, it's fascinating. Little kid get up there and he'll be like I believe they'd be like, all right, come on, shorty, you're gonna do it.
Speaker 9: Let's go. Yeah. Yeah, it's encouragement because he's a younger kid, you see what I'm saying, And they don't want to boo him because they want to build him up to be come as great as they see him having the confidence to at least get up on that stage. But if it's an if it's a.
Speaker 10: Person who is giving, like coming up there and you start singing and they feel fear, the frequency automatically makes them boom. So through these little lessons, I advance the technology that I learned from Hollywood, and I learned from love Buck and Busy B and I, and I was.
Speaker 9: Able to change.
Speaker 10: I guess like you said, I played with it so much that I don't even think about the frequency.
Speaker 9: I feel the frequency and.
Speaker 10: I just respawd to the frequency, or I make the frequency what I wanted to.
Speaker 7: Be right, and I'm and I bring you to that frequency.
Speaker 9: You see what I'm saying. It's interesting.
Speaker 8: Can you tell us what you feel like in your body? Is this is going on like in your body?
Speaker 9: Don't you tell us?
Speaker 7: How do you how do you talk yourself out of fear. Okay, all right to read no, no, no for real.
Speaker 9: That's a good question.
Speaker 2: As it is taping.
Speaker 7: Tarika has left the Tonight Show for four months, so thus forcing me in a position where I have to address the audience something I hate doing.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I don't know if it's that I feel Hollywood or feel you know, like, ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the ROUTO.
Speaker 2: Did well?
Speaker 10: See that's the part right there. That's the part right there where it goes wrong. See, the fear is because you're doing something and being something that's not as authentic as you.
Speaker 9: So the key is to be you and to.
Speaker 10: Be you as best like be you and enjoy being you, and don't make it like you're trying to fit into something and replace it. Don't replace anything, Just be you. And the energy is so honest that people will feel that frequency and they will accept it and make it what it is, like the same way like your conversation now is so real that it's making me respond to you like I'm responding because I can feel what you're saying, and because I feel it, it makes me talk to you like this, And that is the same thing. You have to do, and fear comes from your thinking. Don't think, feel it and be you when you think. That's where fear lives. Fear live in thought. Fear can't exist when it's just pure energy and truth.
Speaker 9: See, fear and truth can't.
Speaker 10: Fear and truth can never be in the same room together because truth exposes care.
Speaker 9: You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 10: So as much as you be yourself, fear can't be around. Like right now, I'm telling y'all the truth, and it doesn't matter to me how you feel.
Speaker 9: About my truth because it's truth. Now.
Speaker 10: If I was fearful, it's because I want you to feel a particular way about me. But I'm not concerned with your feelings right now. I'm only concerned with making sure you feel the truth.
Speaker 9: And when you feel the truth, you can determine how you feel about me. You may like me, you may not, but guess what, you know what you gonna get when you deal with me. You understand truth right.
Speaker 10: Right, And I'm saying and I'm saying it in this way to make you understand that your.
Speaker 9: Truth is good. Your truth is good.
Speaker 10: And you don't like he that's that's his space, But your space is you know, you're coming from a completely different space, and that space you're coming from it's a good space. You just don't know it because you haven't been using it.
Speaker 9: You understand what I'm.
Speaker 7: Saying, being for use it right now, so you know, we will see how it goes till.
Speaker 8: I feel like at some point, even for Dougie Fresh, there's an energy in your body that you may have to either suppress for the moment or figure you know what I mean, Like it's something different going on in here sometimes than out there to get to what they need.
Speaker 9: But given what they need right you're always you know the reason why the energy is not bothering me because my level of focus is on what I want, and what I want is I want to save a life.
Speaker 10: I want to fix this problem. See what happens is this when people are dealing. And it's a fascinating how this all ties in together because see, when a person panics, the panic stops them from making a disc that they would have made if they didn't panic. So if a person can focus on what they're doing, panic can't get in. Because you're focused on what you're doing, now you'll feel things. Panic could be at the door knocking but you're focused, and it's it's it's part of a I guess a technique. Like even like when I work out right, say I run, I run, and I don't use no music.
Speaker 9: And sometimes what I do is when I'm running, I'm.
Speaker 10: Taking my mind and I'm focusing on something and I'm training it to.
Speaker 9: Focus on that. And you know how the mind work.
Speaker 10: There's always a new thought that come in. Even when somebody's talking to you, there's a new thought. But I train my mind to block all.
Speaker 9: The things, and I am focused on that.
Speaker 10: And when I'm ready, I will let you tell me what I will let And I hope I ain't bugging y'all out, but okay, okay, I will, I will. I will decide when I want that thought to come in, and I decide if I want that thought or use that thought. Because the focus is what is what I'm looking at, And in order for me to be effective at that thing that I'm doing, I have to stay focused. If I'm performing and something is going on and I'm not focused on the audience, let's say I'm I'm too.
Speaker 9: Divided, you know what I mean.
Speaker 10: I'm trying to, you know, get this happening I'm trying to get my man in the club. I'm trying to make sure my girl is situated. I'm trying to make sure yo yo yo yo sound man like.
Speaker 9: It's too much.
Speaker 10: So if you're able to take and focus on something, the impact of it is powerful. And then when you're focused on it and you trage your mind to think like that, then what happens is that there's no fear in it because you're focused, and there's no panic because that thing you're focused on is the only thing that matter.
Speaker 2: Think about are meditation.
Speaker 4: I was about to say, a marriage sound like what we talk about.
Speaker 10: I don't have no problems with it, but I guess in a form I do what kind of I guess it's like a form of meditation, because when I'm running, I may be running for seventy minutes, sixty minutes, ninety minutes, and every time my mind is trying to take me someplace else, I'd be like, no, no, no, no, we're staying here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're doing it.
Speaker 9: I keep grabbing it meditation, and I put it right back.
Speaker 10: I go like this, no, right here, And then I practice it so much to the point that people don't know how hard it is to think about the same thing for ten minutes with any interruptions, just ten minutes.
Speaker 4: If they try to meditate, they know it.
Speaker 9: That's what. Yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah, So I kind of incorporate that in a lot of things because I feel like fear is not real, but it's real to you when you're going through it. So if I'm able to you know, control the outcome by my focus, then fear can't get in there. So if I'm dealing with a situation like city college, if I'm dealing with a situation where I see somebody who got shot at a club or a family member instead of me kind of king, I'm focused and I deal with that, and it's I'm so focused that I'm not allowing nothing to stop me. And anybody that's giving me anything I can hear when it's something I need, but if it's ah, oh my god, I don't need that, you know, meaning like if you said so, Doug, I got to ride for so and so I can hear you and I would grab the person and put them in the ride. So it's a focus for being able to understand what's necessary.
Speaker 9: I don't know if I went too far with this, but I.
Speaker 2: Mean it's an earful Yeah.
Speaker 7: A question for you, Doug, because you've, you know, in terms of your faith, because we know that you've been involved with like scientology for a while. Is that having that kind of focus, Is that something that you know you learned in that faith? How does that help you as an entertainer?
Speaker 10: It's funny, that's a that's a real good question, bro. You know what, I didn't get that from scientology. I discovered it from just running, you know. And I'm running, like my running is the thing I love to do, you know. So when I'm running, I started to discover how my mind is all over the place trying to keep itself busy because I'm trying you know, you're running it. He's trying to breathe and so so all of a sudden, I said.
Speaker 9: Yo, the mine is panic ging, Yo, doggie, why are you pushing me like this? Yo? You know this is too heavy? So why you got me? And then I would like this, shut up, bro, shut up, shut up, shut up.
Speaker 10: Like all right, and I'll be like we're doing this right here, and now I want you to relax, don't panic, and breathe and and and not to the degree to say if I needed to slow down. You slow down, but don't panic. See that's the part that piece right there. Don't panic you See what I'm.
Speaker 7: Saying A good buddy of mine is it's actually your too, DJ, my man, DJ skills.
Speaker 5: That's that's my guy.
Speaker 9: Oh that's a bad man. That's a bad man.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's a bad bad Yeah. And he was telling me, uh, going out with you. He was like, yeah, Dougie, he will work out before the show. He always tells me, like, Yo, Doug, workout or you'll run or whatever for the show.
Speaker 5: Shower kind of have your time and then you do it. So I always highly of you.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 7: Well, I think when you mentioned when we mentioned meditation earlier, what I what I do know is the sort of common factor, the reason why people jog, the reason why we work out, the reason you know. I've said in past episodes about like advanced breathing techniques and sexual activity, like anything that causes you, yes, anything that causes you to breathe, like it's your last breath. Somehow your mind your mind goes into another which is another is weird to say.
Speaker 2: I kind of want to know.
Speaker 7: I don't want to know, but I do want to know what what the mind state is to a person that's about to drown, because I also believe I almost drowned.
Speaker 10: That's how I came That's another that's how I came up with this. I said, kid almost dropped, almost dropped the Central Park Lake. Me and two of my friends took a little boat. We took one of them little boats. He was cutting school. They talked me into it, and I jumped on the boat with him, and we didn't even have use was pushing out with a little log, and then all of a sudden one he had heard the siren, so he.
Speaker 9: Knew he wasn't supposed to be doing nothing. So he had fear. He jumped into that water. He started swimming, and so when he jumped, the boat pushed back, and.
Speaker 10: All of a sudden, the other one was there. I said, man, I ain't jumping in that water.
Speaker 9: Come on me, and he let's just roll back, and all a sudden he's like, yo, come on, man, come on. So his fear he.
Speaker 10: Transferred it to his cousin. His cousin jumped out the boat started swimming. Then he said, oh, come on, man, the cops is gonna get us. I'm telling you the cops gonna get you.
Speaker 9: You know, here we are young. I said, man, I don't care what he saying. I'm rolling this damp boat, you know.
Speaker 10: So I get closer to the ship. I think that I'm getting I'm close enough. He's panicking. I allowed his fear to get in me. I jumped in the water. I'm doggy podder. I'm saying, this is close enough. I think I'm good. And I put my feet down under me, thinking that the ground was there.
Speaker 9: There wasn't no ground. There wasn't no ground. It wasn't no ground. And I started.
Speaker 10: Right, wow, I mean when i'm and then my man came in and he grabbed me and pulled me in right.
Speaker 9: And when he pulled me in, I'm spinning. I'm spinning the water up.
Speaker 10: So now when I go to the pool, and this is a real story, I'm over here.
Speaker 9: Everybody's in the five.
Speaker 10: Feet sixteen you know, summertime pool is with everybody else. Girl, I'm over in the little four feet or the three feet, sitting in here with my feet water. I'm just shook. I'm shook, like to my point it was crazy. Then I said, I can't live my life like this. This is crazy. I said, this is not even. This makes me feel crazy. Every time I'm getting in water, I'm shuk. So that one day I went to Hawaii to to go do a show because this was on for a while. I got in a WHI the dude was sitting out on the raft and my man, my sound man, said, Yo, come swim out. Man, Yo, come come out here. So I said, I said, all right, I got to break this. I jump in the water and I swim out. I get to the raft. He said, there, talk to me, asked me like two different things. He said, well, I gotta go. I'm jumping off the raft. He jump off the raft and he swims back to the to the beach. I'm sitting there going, damn, this is crazy. I gotta go all the way back now.
Speaker 9: So I jump. So I jump in the water and I started swimming. And when I started swimming, I said, I stopped. And then I lay in the water and I'm floating and I said, wow, now I get it. I said. The reason why I almost drowned, it's not because I can't swim. It's because I panicked. And when I panicked, it took everything out of me. It made me not think. It just made me just how swired here. Yeah, yeah, it took everything out of me. And I said, if I relax, if I breathe, and if I trust myself, and if I allow this to make sure that that fear is not there, then it's not as hard. And that lesson is the lesson that I have applied in every aspect of my life, from that time that I drown to the time that I discovered that. And then I learned that when you run, even when you breathe it most people stop running because they panic when they're breathing. It's getting cut short, right, So the key is to think and focus on the breathing and then you relax, the same way if a person is you know, you know you're going into a stressful situation.
Speaker 10: You have to relax and then the energy will flow. And I mean, I hate to say it like this suit, but.
Speaker 9: We're keeping it real on this little com y'all. Y'all took me. I didn't even think. But even if you're losing the fireproom, bro, if you don't die, you don't.
Speaker 2: And there's a dougie fresh.
Speaker 9: Like you're sitting there like this, I don't want nobody to have me.
Speaker 4: I don't want nobody to see me, and then I.
Speaker 9: Ain't gotta go. You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 10: But until i'm I'm keeping it so real. And I know y'all know it's true that if you don't relax, y'all, if you don't relax, it's crazy. So that's a that's a big part of controlling fear. You can't control fear unless you relax.
Speaker 2: We got to get to the show eventually, But I do have one question. You mentioned.
Speaker 7: A legendary Harlem figure that I don't know anything about besides his record labels, But could you please like we've heard everything about Jersey and Sugar Sugar Hill with Sylvia and Bobby in Jersey, but a lot of people don't know that the Bobby Robinson that runs Enjoy Records is another Bobby Robinson I know nothing about. And you know, I'm a fan of the Godfather of Harlem and Bobby Robinson's character this season, Yeah he's been Yeah, Bobby Robinson's sort of been a figure in the first In the second season, he owns a local record store.
Speaker 2: Obviously, Okay, I saw the first season.
Speaker 7: So obviously you know, like I can see like you own a record store and then you start your label.
Speaker 2: Oh YadA YadA, YadA woo.
Speaker 7: But can you talk about Bobby Robinson and what he meant to the community of Harlem like and your dealings with him, Like what was he like?
Speaker 9: Bobby? Bobby Robinson was a very mild mannered, low key, community friendly guy who was not a very big guy. But he was a guy that.
Speaker 10: All of us respected because he had his own record shop. He would go to his record shop, he had the Mamo Pop Record shop and you would you would hear everything that came out from the Treacher's Free, from the Feelers, from Coolkow, from anybody from Funky four. And he was the first guy out there doing it. But the problem is is that in the community, Bobby Robinson was also known as a guy who did not pay and he did not pay no rappers. So so I when I did the deal with him, I got some money up front from him because I knew based on the history of what he did with the trust. I used to sit in Bobby Robinson's record shop and watch Treacher's Three come in there, and LA would be like.
Speaker 9: Joe, we're Bobby Man, I'm looking for my money.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 9: I would watch mo D coming it goes Bobby in here, Yo, where's he at?
Speaker 10: And I would watch how people respected Bobby because he was the guy who looked like he knew more than us we were kids, but it looked like he didn't either explain what was going on, or he was doing things and didn't really come clean on what he was doing.
Speaker 9: You under saying.
Speaker 7: Okay, so okay, So nineteen eighty one and I get a deal with Enjoy Records, What how's the deal broker? Like, what is housing k or fair deal for Enjoy Records? Are you giving me and you're Bobby Robinson? Are you giving me and my crew like five hundred bucks to do one side? Or like, what's what kind of deal my striking with you? If you're Bobby Robinson? I want to make a rap record.
Speaker 9: Bobby Robinson is not giving you a deal where you really know what you're gonna get.
Speaker 10: You might get ten center record, you might get twelve cents a record or fifteen cents a record, But he is not sitting down with a lawyer and going through a deal with you. He know you're a hungry young kid who could rap and he's just trying to put the record out and he's saying, no, here, sign this, and we're gonna work it out. And there's no way for you to take account to how many records he sold because he's selling them out the trunk or he's passing them around as to mom and pop distribution. Bobby Robinson was a guy that for me, I watch every hit pop artists that he had signed, from Grandmaster Flash to Funkie four to Treacherous three.
Speaker 9: And feel his four. I watched all of them.
Speaker 10: He had them all and he never dealt with them in a way that they felt confident that they were going to get compensated.
Speaker 9: For their music.
Speaker 10: And with me, I just did one single with him with two sided because I did get Fresh Doug on the other side, because I needed to have something out because I seen what was going on in regards to people believing that I might have got it from Fat Boys, which originally was Disco three. So when I got with him, it was only for strategic purposes.
Speaker 9: It wasn't he.
Speaker 10: I knew that Bobby Robinson was not a guy that would pay you, and he would not He was not a guy that you could see yourself making money with.
Speaker 7: So you went with Enjoyed, just so that you could stop the bleeding of the fat boys being the soul creators of the beat box.
Speaker 2: Like I gotta get in the okay, I get it marketing right right.
Speaker 10: So I strategically, I said, if I hit him with the movie, if I hit him with just having fun and Get Fresh tough, because remember I said, for all the sounds you beat boxes are doing, all you bit from me, I should be sewing some say yay what they should be going From the time you hit this robing, your career is ruined. That's the way I opened it up, you know what I mean. And then and so once I did that, it was to make people know. And then out in Long Island in eighty two, I met Biz.
Speaker 9: And then I would have.
Speaker 10: Biz with me everywhere because Biz was coming to my house and he was going to the store for my mother. He was going to the store for my grandmother, and he was up under me because he was trying to learn the beat box.
Speaker 9: So I had him there you talking, yes, business, Biz was This is one of the members, the first members of the Get Fresh Crow.
Speaker 2: Did not know.
Speaker 9: You that that's my brother. I love him. He's on this new album that I just let out. I mean, that's one of our list times together. And then and and he's his family, you know what I mean.
Speaker 10: So and then eventually and then it got a little weird because he's trying to do the beat box. I'm doing it and I'm like, yo, Biz, you know you're biting straight up.
Speaker 9: I can't let you do that.
Speaker 10: And he's like, all right, all right. And then that's when he went to Magic. But I was with Magic first. But Magic was trying to get me to battle everybody. So I didn't like that. I didn't like how Magic were trying to get me to go in there and battle every single person that he had. That that he didn't like because he was getting high at the time and he.
Speaker 9: Wasn't the same as the Magic from w HBI, you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: Doug one more enjoyed eraror question that I gotta know about, you know, because I come from a lineage of musicianship.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 7: And all respect to Keith le Blancin and Doug win Bush of sugar Hill.
Speaker 9: To talking about Pumpkin Baby.
Speaker 2: Pumpkins.
Speaker 7: So for our listeners that don't know Pumpkin Pumpkin was the you know, for Keith le Blancin and and Doug win Bush to be the house band of sugar Hill Records over at Enjoy Records up in Harlem. The leader was Pumpkin the drummer. And you know if you if you're if you're a beat, heead you know if you collect records. Then his interpolation of tower power squid cakes, it was done.
Speaker 2: I think even better.
Speaker 7: You know, I prefer LOVET by Spoony g that break more than the original breakdown it should have came from.
Speaker 2: Can you tell me anything about I knew nothing about Pumpkin.
Speaker 9: What was he?
Speaker 2: Let me tell you about original.
Speaker 9: Pumpkin, right right, right right Pumpkin. Pumpkin was unbelievable.
Speaker 10: One day and this is what happened with Bobby Robinson, And this is what made me do it like I did it. Pumpkin was in there and I told him a beat I wanted him to play.
Speaker 9: He played a beat. He'll go to the keyboards. I said, give me this sound. He'll go in there. He'll pick up the sound. If you need him to play the bass and grab the bas and put that in there. Pumpkin was like a one man man and what happened.
Speaker 10: And if you listen to love rap when it's going that beat, and then if you hear in the back, you here the percussions.
Speaker 9: That's Spoony G's.
Speaker 10: Brother and his name is Pooci all of them little brother Poochie is Spoony Jeans brother.
Speaker 9: Never knew that b this this thing runs so deep.
Speaker 10: But but Pumpkin, and before Pumpkin passed, Pumpkin came to the studio and he kept saying, Dougie, let me.
Speaker 9: Let me play a beat for you tonight. Come on, Dougie, mean, let's go back to back. Let's do beat. And in the middle of everything going on before me and were before me and it were able to get together.
Speaker 10: He passed away. But Pumpkin was a guy that that's why we did this. That's why he did this song.
Speaker 9: Pumpkin and the All Stars. We remember that one because Pumpkin and if you have.
Speaker 10: Oh, that was his cod kidnamed Fly Fly Tiedel Jackson. We crazy, look, look, look Pumpkin was. Pumpkin was honestly as a drummer, as a musician, he was a guy that you could tell your ideas too, and he would be able to give you the idea just like you wanted it and add some things that was really really good. So my first record I was gonna do was a song with Pumpkin, but we never got to finish it.
Speaker 7: I was going to say, because if it wasn't for Pumpkin passing away, would you have worked with Teddy Riley for the show in nineteen eighty five if Punkin were still alive, would you go on to Pumpkin instead of Teddy Riley?
Speaker 9: I would have probably went to Pumpkin.
Speaker 10: But also I was I was teaching Teddy about hip hop because Teddy was from.
Speaker 2: The church, church kid.
Speaker 10: Right, so we used to cut school and that's when I introduced him to swing. And that was the beginning of it because because the drums, you know, let me talk to you as a producer now like on the d X or the DMX, the button in the back would determine how much swing that you put into a beat.
Speaker 9: If I'm going that's swinging, run DMC's beat is to be like now, it's more like right action.
Speaker 10: So what I brought was so that's swing, that's swing, that swing. And I did it because Greg Greg g from the disco for owed me some money because I did a show for him, because he was a promoter on the side, and because he owed me money, he lent all of his equipment to Teddy. And when he lent it to Teddy, he said, yo, man, I ain't got the money right now for Joe. If you want to work on your music and you want to get your joint done, yo, I got the equipment over there at Teddy's house.
Speaker 9: I said, really, he said, yeah. So I went over there.
Speaker 10: Teddy had all of his equipment over there, and right over there is when I started to make up the pattern of this show. The drums, and then that's when I hit that shaker and I as when, huh.
Speaker 2: How many tracks were you?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 2: What equipment made the show?
Speaker 9: I use?
Speaker 10: I used the DX drum machine, and I use a series of keyboards because my manager was the one in.
Speaker 9: The studio that played everything. Because it's just a complicated story, man.
Speaker 10: But but you know, but the truth of the matter is that I know that the show would have never became what it is if I didn't have Teddy there to be able to to to express my ideas the way that I express you know.
Speaker 9: What I mean.
Speaker 7: I was gonna say, the show is one of the most unusual formatic songs I've ever heard, because if you really, if you really break down the show, the show is almost like it's almost like I wouldn't say interludes, but I would almost say seven vignettes because nothing, nothing repeats twice like then here we go, here we go, Come on. It's almost like it's like every hooks could be a hook every four bars, and I know you guys aren't dealing with like pro tools and cut these four bars, so it's almost like I feel like you had to map out that entirely sequence.
Speaker 9: I did, I did, I did. I went over there.
Speaker 10: I sat down, and this is when I first learned how to count the bars and arrange it.
Speaker 9: So I sat down and I arranged the whole thing.
Speaker 10: And when I arranged it, I went over there his house after I'm made up the track. Because this is how y'all understand this, because y'all are musicians and y'all know the game.
Speaker 9: You go there, you feel the music, and you make it up.
Speaker 10: After you make it up, I would take the tape home and then I would, you know, play around with it. I'll go to Will's house Battery's house, and I'll come back and say I like this. I like this, and so I wanted I didn't. I just structured it where I want the horn to hit here, I want this to be. And I learned how to structure it based on how many bars everything was on the song. And then after it was all done, then I had to go back and program the drums so.
Speaker 9: So I can separate all of these pieces.
Speaker 10: So you don't want even pacing, No, I just I just programmed it like that Teddy. I told Teddy what I wanted to do, and he knew how to work the equipment, and so he sat down and whatever I was asking him to do, he would do it.
Speaker 9: I'll say, like Teddy was the one who came up with the.
Speaker 10: Drum roll, so so because I was doing a drum roll and mom was cool. But then and he heard mine and it was in his like a combination of what I was doing and what he added to it, which made it better. So the other part that any contribution that anybody was trying to make to the song, if it felt good and if it worked, it didn't matter.
Speaker 9: Who came up with it.
Speaker 10: It was about making this thing as hot as it could be. Like when I hit the shaker. I hit the shaker by accident because it was I was looking for something else. And then when I hit the shaker, I just started to you know, because I'm doing the bee box and all of that.
Speaker 9: I said, I started, I started really moving it.
Speaker 10: And then when I was working with the drum machine Teddy, I said I want swing in it, and he was like okay, and he put a little I said, no, I got to swing harder than that, and then he started saying no, I got to swing. I said, that's it right there, that's swing and nobody was using it.
Speaker 9: Man, not like that.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna tell you to be alive and of age in nineteen eighty five. I'm probably the last human that got on the train of the show right before it took off, because I spent the entire summer of nineteen eighty five in California where it was all about Toddy T's batter Ram the batter I remember, right, I like, yeah, my cousins, My cousins were bangers whatever like and literally that's all you only heard batter Ram. So to spend June, July and August in California in the Altadena Pasadena with my teenage cousins.
Speaker 2: Only hearing batter Ram.
Speaker 7: I come back home to Philly and this is this is I know that nineteen eighty five is probably the last regional year for hip hop, where like only regions, you only dealt with their regions and it wasn't like fully national yet. And I got home and saw, you know, the landed. My plane landed like three or four in the afternoon. Got home and I remember like talking to the kids on the block and I just knew I was up on something that they weren't up on. And I was like, Yo, y'all know about batter Ram Now I'm from Philly, right. They looked at me like I was an alien. They're like, what the hell is a batter Ram. I'm like, right, you can't stop. I'm singing the first verse and everything. They just looked at me like it was like the block was laughing at me. They're like, nah, we only know about the show and Lotty Dottie. And I was like, like, the did not know about this. Literally, this is like two days before school started. And they told me, nah, this is this has been number one on Power ninety nine for three months. In a row like, that's the that's the last time I felt so late on something that the whole world was up on.
Speaker 4: You still had you still had till nineteen ninety one to get back on it again. Because I was gonna say, did did the New Jack City?
Speaker 8: I wanted to know the story between on the New Jack City situation and how it became kind of that scene and in that movie, and how you even allowed them.
Speaker 9: To use it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, because I felt like it came back and the Ninjack City it just gave it new life.
Speaker 2: I mean the show never I think, no gave it was timeless.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no doubt, no doubt.
Speaker 2: For starters.
Speaker 7: I guess we should ask you, how did you hook up with Slick Rick to start this group?
Speaker 10: Well that's an interesting question because slick Rick was well, he wasn't slick Rick.
Speaker 9: He was Ricky ri right, he was Ricky d And he was with his crew that man, y'all, y'all asked some questions. Man, Well, yeah, it was the Cango Cup.
Speaker 10: But where I seen him, see the Kango crew was in his school. Where he was doing his thing was up at the Cadet Club in the Bronx. Now Rick was moving around with different guys trying to get his get his hip hop thing going on.
Speaker 9: And there was a guy named Donald d. And there was another dude named June loves.
Speaker 2: Syndicate.
Speaker 10: All no, this is another guy and he calls himself now Dandy down. He's still alive, right, But it was these three guys. Me and Tito was hanging out. One night, Tito came by my house from the Fearless Four and we hung out and we went uptown and they had an EMC contest. Now, I was known to take a lot of EMC contests because my style was was basically the new thing with.
Speaker 9: The beat box.
Speaker 10: I'm rhyming, it's crowd participation, I'm dancing, it's Harlem, it's a whole nother thing.
Speaker 9: There's melody. So there was a new dimension and hip hop coming in.
Speaker 10: Long story short, me and Tito got on and the girls loved Tito, so it was like a It was like a it was like, let's go get this money Tito. But then they said we couldn't be in it because they looked at him as a professional and they looked at me as a professional.
Speaker 9: Even though I didn't have a record out at the time.
Speaker 10: Nothing major, but this is what So Rick, June Love, and Donald D was in the contests. So when they was in the contest, the Cold Crush Brothers was in the contest too. So this is how the story goes. I was there whe watching June and watching them.
Speaker 9: I say, Yo, these dudes is nice.
Speaker 10: I said, yo, yo, t don't look at the nice and he was like yeah, yeah, and Tila Rock was up there and he's like, yeah, you know it's yours. It's yours, yo. That's another right, that's ah another story. So we up there and all of a sudden, say, yo, I heard Rick, and so the rhyme that you hearing him say on the show was the rhyme that I heard him say in the contest. And so when he said that rhyme in the concert, I said, Yo, the kid is nice, said the kid. Donald D was rhyming about a beef patty. And when he brought the beef patty, so they burned it and they flipped it on the other side and gave it to him, and they tried to hide it, you know what I'm saying, And he wrote a rhyme about the beef. I was like, yo, these dudes are ill because I haven't heard nobody rhyme like this. You know, long story short, June Love stopped. June Love was gonna team up with Greg Nice. June Love got murdered. So the style that you hear Greg Nice's rhyme in is June style.
Speaker 7: Ok So, the great Nice style of fear the fan that is based on June Love.
Speaker 9: Right, And June Love was a part of Cago Crew.
Speaker 5: Okay, you're following me, got it.
Speaker 9: I'm trying to another.
Speaker 2: Beat boxer, Greg Nice, right, But.
Speaker 10: Greg NICs was also under my guidance because the feel Is four. He wanted to do the beatbox for the Feelings four because they wanted something to balance out what they wasn't doing, and because I.
Speaker 9: Rhymed the beat buzz.
Speaker 10: So Greg Nice was another piece that he was going with Feelers for. So that's my man all that, But I'm just telling you he started to transition into the Junie Love style because he was going to do the beatbox.
Speaker 9: For June Love. And when June Love.
Speaker 10: Lost his life, Greg basically took the style and then he went forward with it. So like all I was going on, Rick seeing me get on, and then I'm doing parties throughout the whole city. So everywhere I go, Rick is like, yo, jugie freshman. Yo, you think you could put me on with you? I said, Yo, I gotta hear you, man, I gotta hear all night. You know, see if you're good whatever you know? I say, Yo, you seem like a cool dude. Say yeah, man, my name is Ricky de Man. I say, yeah, I see you downtown, man, at Ron said, was kind of slick. He said, yeah, man, I'm nice. So I would go all of these different places and I would see him. He would be pressing me, like everywhere I go.
Speaker 9: I'm in the door. He's like, yo, Doug, put me on.
Speaker 10: I get off stage, and then he'll be standing there. He was like, y'all see you get on, man, Yo, do you think we could go back on? You could put me on with you?
Speaker 9: And I'll be like, I can't do that, man. I just got off. And one day I'm going down the hill and Comment Avenue and Harlem and he's I see him on the phone. I don't know how he was on the corner on the phone while.
Speaker 10: I'm walking down there. The odds is like a billion to one. I take him over to Will's house. I got this little drum machine, the RX seven that I got from OC from Feelings spoiled one of his dj because it was crazy Eddy and oc Oc was trying to sell me the drum machine. So you know, you when you were broke, you're trying to borrow somebody drum machine and trying to get.
Speaker 9: As most out of it as you can. And then you know you gotta, you know, to stress you then you give it back, you know how that was? So yeah, So Rick came over and I say, yo're come over into the house, man. And then right then and there is when I say, yo, let me see what you got. I got on.
Speaker 10: A couple of other dudes got on. And that was the day that he started lotty ditting. And when he said it, he couldn't he couldn't even finish the rhyme because we was laughing for at least an hour. I mean, it was like, yo, let me tell you something. Bro Rick was so goddamn funny. I'm talking about like he was h hilarious. I mean to the point that we all in there holding our stomach. He can't finish the rhyme. Then all of a sudden, out there and then the rhyme. He said, I told you I was nice. I told you I was nice.
Speaker 7: Wait are there any other takes of Lotty Doddy that we've not heard because.
Speaker 9: It's just you JUSTO. Yeah, there's a couple, I.
Speaker 2: Mean alternative takes of it.
Speaker 9: Nah.
Speaker 10: Now what we did and what we did on Wax was when we made that. That was because my manager at the time say, Yo, why don't y'all do that thing called Lotti Doddy that all the kids are talking about in the street because Lotty Dotty was created in eighty four. And what I did is when I seen them, when I heard the rhyme, I say, Yo, this rhyme would be crazy if I did the beatbox and I just come in with different words and I changed the beat so that it doesn't get boring, and I say, yeah, this.
Speaker 9: Will be good. And then all of a sudden, I said that we get and then he was excited. I said, and we could take all the rap contests. He was like, yeah, yeah, that's what I want.
Speaker 10: Because he felt that he got jerked when he was at the Cadet Court because they didn't they didn't win, so he had this big thing on his shoulder saying I'm taking every contest. So then we started going around in the city just taking every contest.
Speaker 9: And then when we.
Speaker 10: Did it on record, we took out the second part to Lottie Dottie because we mentioned Vanessa.
Speaker 7: Ways williams, Oh yeah, you told me. Wait a minute, Wait a minute, God, this is like the rabbit hole of life. I just gotta do you have any of those tapes? From course, okay, I'm coming to your ri of course. Literally more more than the twelve inch there was. There was again Philadelphian. There was a dude, my go to cheese steak guy every Sunday, my go to steak guy, like he would have He would have like he had cousins from New York that always put him on to like those t Connection tapes and those Parlem World tapes. So when I'm, you know, Sunday after church my routine, I get a cheese steak after church, and he's always playing some live whatever. And one of these Sundays he had like much of my mom's dis may this is the first time I'm here and treator like a prostitute a live version, and I snuffed back. I was like, Mom, I'm gonna get some potato chips, and I stuck up to him. I said, and I had one of those like my mom's you know you always record over your mom's tapes or whatever. And I had like one of her old gout, like one of the gospel tapes that she just walked from church and was like, yo, can you can you meet me? Gods it don't be back tomorrow for lunch. And I lived with it's a live version of YouTube, just doing your whole routine. And I studied that ship to the tape. Pop it popped and I never got I gotta get that back again.
Speaker 9: But yo, yo, yo, yo, that's crazy you're saying that. I mean, you know, see when we when we.
Speaker 10: Treat him like a prostitute, we were already doing that and that was going to be the next thing we was gonna let out and some other things that we had right. But what was crazy is when I hurt Jay and them do it with.
Speaker 9: The beat, it changed the whole vibe of it. It wasn't like the same or it wasn't the same.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Like I'm probably the only person that like when I heard it, I was like, man, I don't want it with music.
Speaker 2: I want it with Dougie, right right right.
Speaker 9: But you know it's crazy, it's real like that.
Speaker 10: And that's interesting because, like I said about frequency, going back to that, it was a match of a frequency. You see, see when you doing the beat box people think is easy or simple. It's like the way you if you're playing the drums, you're playing to align your spirit with the person that you're playing for. You're not playing like a drum machine. You're playing like a spirit. So when they're doing this and not, you gotta flow. So what Lottie Dottie is it's to match, to match him and to move with him and to make him be the best he can be. It wasn't about me. It was about how can how can we make this be the best? And I had to match the way the energy move. If I don't match the way the energy move, you're just liking me.
Speaker 9: But I don't just want you to like me. I want you to like what's going on. I want you to feel it.
Speaker 10: So it has to move, you know what I mean. And that's how that's the reason why I treat him like a prostitute lives better than the drum machine.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is how okay, so by September.
Speaker 7: First of all, let me just declare that I probably think that the show Lotti Dottie is one of the greatest twelve inches of all time.
Speaker 2: For any.
Speaker 7: I'm afraid to ask, I pray the answers. Yes, I hope you still own your publishing for Lottie Dotty because it's probably the most sampled song of in hip hop history.
Speaker 9: Yes I do, Yes, I do, Yes, I do. But not only do I own all of the publishing. I made sure Rick owns his publisher and the story and the other side of this.
Speaker 10: Story, which only requests love and the Supreme Team could get, is when I made the show a quest. When I did just having fun, I called it just having fun because I was learning about the studio and I knew Bobby Robinson wasn't gonna pay nobody, so I wasn't gonna try to do everything that I could do with him.
Speaker 9: That was Number one.
Speaker 10: Original human beatbox was with Entertainment Records and Vincent Davis. I had an argument with him because I made the beat up and he put that bing bing link sound in there and it sounded.
Speaker 9: Like I hated it.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 10: You know, I'm gonna tell you, I love the guitars, but I hated that sound because I had a different idea that I felt was better, and me and him got into a conflict, So that vocal was just a practice, a rough vocal on what I was getting ready to come back and do better. So then I left the studio and I started doing shows.
Speaker 9: I stacked up.
Speaker 10: All my money and when I went in there, I made the show and Dotty, and when I told Rick about the show, he said that idea is whack.
Speaker 9: That ain't gonna work.
Speaker 10: So then I said, Rick, I said, trust me, I know what I'm talking about, the same way I told you that this beatbox thing is going to work with this routine.
Speaker 9: So then what happened.
Speaker 10: He trusted me and we went into the studio and I made this show and I made Lottie Dotty. I took it the Profile Records. Profile Records heard it. He said, this is the worst music I've ever heard. He said, who's that guy sounding like that? And what's this little clicking sound that I keep hearing in the song?
Speaker 9: So he said it to me and I said, Steve, it was it was the owner Coo. So listen to this. So afterwards, I said, no problem.
Speaker 10: Now I paid all the money I spent ten I had saved the ten grand I went to Daily Planet Studio in New York. So then after that I went and I said, man, I got to get this record out. So I took it to WHBI. Jerry blood Rock played it and a couple of other guys started getting the crazy buzz. So I went to this label called Dain your Records, right, I said, distributed by Fantasy. So when I went to him, I said, he said, yo, I want to distribute the record for you.
Speaker 9: I said, that's cool, I said, but I'm going to own it. He said, well, I want to buy into the ownership.
Speaker 10: I said, if you want to buy into the ownership, you got to give me the money back that I spent and then we can go from there.
Speaker 9: So then what he did is he gave me the money back, and then.
Speaker 10: Basically I owned the master, and I brought him in and I gave him a piece of the master. So in eighty five, I was the first artist to ever own their master. You see, but I learned that because of what happened over there, and I watched it. So when I owned the Master, and I came back, and when I gave Rip half of the publishing on the show, and we both split high for the publishing on Lottie Dottie, and then from there we moved forward.
Speaker 5: And then now, so was that Reality Records? Was that you? Was that your Reality Records?
Speaker 9: Yeah? See it went from oh and by the way, and every record after that, I owned the master, so it was right.
Speaker 10: So what happened is that I was seeing what was going on, and you know, I'm like around seventeen years old, eighteen years old, but I'm seeing that something just didn't seem.
Speaker 9: Right about how people are owning your master, Like I thought that was kind of And then since I spent the money, I was like, how you're gonna own it?
Speaker 10: So now the record blows up. I go to Roxy. Cory is in Roxy. The record is on fire. I mean bro, When I say fire, I mean five y'all. So now Corey comes in there and he said, Yo, could I talk to you?
Speaker 9: I said sure? He said, Yo, Man, I made a mistake. Man, I was wrong.
Speaker 10: He said, Man, this thing I just couldn't see it coming. He said, I was just seeing run DMC. I couldn't see nothing.
Speaker 9: This was just so unusual, it was so new, it was so I didn't know what to think. I said, bro, I said, it ain't no problem. I was just giving you the first opportunity because you got the label. I said, it's okay. He said, Yo, man, is it any way that we could do something else?
Speaker 10: Are you signing anybody? I said, well, I got to deal with I got my masters, and I'm also with the label. But it's a great deal. I got my publisher, I got the masters. I said, but maybe we couldn't down the road. And then after he got Dana Dan because he.
Speaker 9: Wanted to.
Speaker 5: Fame that album right right.
Speaker 9: And we didn't mind because Dana was a part of the family. You know what I mean.
Speaker 10: But I'm just showing you how sometimes once again, it's back to that fear.
Speaker 9: He told me my record was garbage.
Speaker 7: I was like, okay, so this is this leads to my follow up question. You two have undoubtedly created one of the and this is not even a thing where it's like time has to pass by.
Speaker 2: Before we know it's a classic.
Speaker 7: But it's like y'all just hit us with these two singles and then nothing else. Now of course, with you like yes, I realized that Oh my god came out in eighty six, so you did come up with an album?
Speaker 5: Why they came back?
Speaker 9: They did?
Speaker 5: Sitting in my car? They didn't come back?
Speaker 7: They Yeah, but like, yeah, there were teen years later, two years he was going to prison.
Speaker 9: Yeah why why did I know?
Speaker 2: But even before prison, what was happening with Slick Rick between nineteen eighty six in nineteen eighty nine, before he signed the Deaf Jam, Like why why didn't why capitalize on you know, the hottest single, making you guys a unit? Like was that just a one off deal?
Speaker 9: And okay, now what happened was is that to the blame of us both?
Speaker 10: I felt that once again, like I said, I was already established in the street, I was moving around. I took Will and Barry and I brought them together and that was the first time again.
Speaker 9: With two DJs DJ together at the same time.
Speaker 10: There's never been a crew before the Gift Fresh Crew with two DJs DJ at the same time. Get Fresh Crew is the foundation to the executioners because that because no, I had two sets and they're playing at the same time. Not you get on after me. So I was really always trying to push something new. The Deep Box was new. I had my guys there. I brought Rick in here. And what happened with me and Rick was, you know, I felt that he was accusing me of doing something that I didn't do.
Speaker 9: He was accusing me of not He felt.
Speaker 10: Like I was trying to make all the money of something and that's not true. I gave him half of the royalty. I gave him half of the publishing.
Speaker 9: I gave him a really good salary while he was on the road, and also the other DJs I had a manager. I gave him twenty percent. The agent.
Speaker 10: I gave him, you know, the ten percent because he was booking the shows all of these different expenses and everybody.
Speaker 9: Had to, you know, get a salary. And on top of that, I put him in on what was already in motion. And I didn't like how we were. We were like this, you know what I'm saying. And then when I started to see how people was getting in his head and people was coming in trying to.
Speaker 10: Get into my head, I didn't really like the energy. So I said, I gotta pull out of this. And I didn't want no money. I didn't want no producer or no override or no find this speed. I was like, bro, you go ahead and do what you gotta do, because the energy is not feeling good no more. And I think we got too much love for one another for us. I felt that the magic were creating is because once again he trusted me. I trusted him, and when I felt that there was a violation of him trusting me bothered me. And I was young and I should have just allowed him to express that, but I took it personal and I just say, yo, you go do your thing. And then when he went over there, Russell sat him on the bench for multiple years, And if we're being real, it's because you know, at that time, he didn't really know what to do with him. And over there depth Jymp, everybody was happy, but not so happy because we were we were a little bit of a threat to people because of the dynamics of all of the things that we were bringing together. But I love Rick, so I didn't want nothing but the best for him, and I just felt like, you know, if the energy is not right, it doesn't make sense for us to go any further.
Speaker 7: Was there any conversation or reach out to you to do anything on The Great Adventures Life?
Speaker 2: Like did they try to say something or no.
Speaker 9: They tried to. They didn't call me, but they tried to. They tried to put me in it because if you listen to maybe six or seven eight songs, my voices is throughout the whole album. So they're trying to balance out the formula of what it was that we created together. So when people are listening to that album, they they're hearing his brilliance and the excellence of the production, but they're also feeling my frequency in there in a subtle way, because I'm in there, you know, and I'm in multiple songs. So they were trying to figure out how to bring him where he needed to be. And I look at it like this too.
Speaker 10: To be completely transparent, I think that it was necessary because Great Adventures of Slick Rick gave him the platform to express things that I think was important for him to express, and we probably could have figured it out. But I think that would he have been what I call the greatest storyteller?
Speaker 9: Could he have been that with me? And could I have been the entertainer that.
Speaker 10: I've grown to become, because maybe it would have been too much forced from two different you know what I'm saying. Two different energies and it would not really have been as great as it could have been.
Speaker 9: And you know, I just I just know that.
Speaker 10: Like and then when he was about to go to prison, because he knew it was happening, I went up to Neurochelle and vance Wright was up there and I said, let me hear some of his music, man, and he played something in her sitting in my car, and I said, nah, y'all got a drum machine.
Speaker 9: Pull that out.
Speaker 10: And he was getting ready to do the same thing that he did with jam Master Jay. I said, let me do it, and then I put it in there, and then I kept the loop in there.
Speaker 9: And then when he got out.
Speaker 10: Of prison after doing a long, long rough ride, I was there for him.
Speaker 9: To perform with him when he got out in LA and I did that for him to support him, you know what I mean. And then I had the Senator to go up and you know, make sure you didn't get depored in. And then when the Senator became the governor, I brought the governor in because I felt like, even though we're not together, we're always together.
Speaker 4: All right, y'all. I know you want some more and we got it for you.
Speaker 8: That was part one of Quest Love Supreme's interview with Dougie Fresh.
Speaker 4: You ready for part two? All right, stay tuned's coming up.
Speaker 5: West.
Speaker 1: Love Supreme is a production of iHeart Radio. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite Chills