Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. This classic episode was produced by the team at Pandora.
Speaker 2: Yoya, y'all. What's up, y'all?
Speaker 3: This is Fonte Fontigelo and this is yet another QLs classic with Oldest Williams from the legendary Temptations. This one was from June thirteenth, twenty eighteen. One of the few episodes I had to miss. I hate I had to miss this one. It's really hurt my heart. Legendary baritone singer found a member of the Temptations, Oldus Williams. He discusses everything from his evolution of motown, the band's dynasty, and their album All the Time is going down right here on QLs Classics, right here on Quest Love Supreme.
Speaker 1: All right, peace, ladies and gentlemen, welcome to a special Quest Love Supreme.
Speaker 2: I'm your host Quest Love Jenkins and I worked me.
Speaker 1: Today is Boss pil Sugar Steve and it's Liyah Team Supreme. Today we are celebrating a legacy for the past six decades. Our next Yes was the glue that held together one of the most tightest elegant music dynasties in the history of modern Western music. Their brand, a sophisticated pop and soul with such gems as my Girl, the way you do Things you do in Ain't Proud to Big Just the name of.
Speaker 2: A few was just as crucial to the Civil rights era as lived every voices sing.
Speaker 1: There isn't a vocal group or band act of today or in the past who has not been influenced by them, from their Machelin vocal harmony structure, to their choreography, to their outfits, to their songs of love that have stood the test of time, to their political anthems. Just as relevant twenty eighteen as it was in nineteen sixty eight, music would not be what it is today without the Temptations, and the Temptations would not be the everlasting institution it is without the one and only heartbeat of the Temptations. Lady and gentlemen, please welcome our guests. Sir Otus Williams.
Speaker 2: Question, Thank you.
Speaker 4: Off real good.
Speaker 1: You know I'm gonna do something a little different than I normally do on the show. Well, I want to ask you. Normally I want to go back to the beginning, but I want to ask you what keeps you going well?
Speaker 4: Of quesse on the Real side. It's love what I do.
Speaker 5: You know, when you stop and think about this world that we live in and now all the people that inhabit this world, it's a small microcosm of us that are getting to get a chance to do what we'd like to do for a long time, you know. And God has blessed me to be able to ride the heal of the horse. So I'm enjoying this, yeare. You know, it's a labor of love. And when you can bring happiness to the world over in by way of music, you know, music have been able to do some things that politicians haven't been able to do. So I love what I do and I'm thankful to God for you know, still being able to do it after fifty eight years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's impressive, and as as someone that's at the epicenter of a group.
Speaker 2: Of people and.
Speaker 1: Not controlling them per se. But I know the headaches, the daily headaches that it takes to manage different band attitudes and whatever it be it trying to put it. I'm just saying that I admire you so much, and you know, I've read I've read your book. When when I was like seventeen, your your your autobiography that came out, and like, like, I know that being the glue of an institution is one of the hardest things, like where you wake up daily or weekly trying to figure out what can I get through this day without? Sure, yeah, drama and you know, I know that you've gone through like members of.
Speaker 2: The group and arguments.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, all that is it? Is it worth it that? That's really my my my question.
Speaker 2: Is it worth it that?
Speaker 4: Well? You know, look, I look at it.
Speaker 5: First of all, you're dealing with people. When you understand that you're dealing with people, then you have to really understand that a lot of you know, things come along with that, and uh, it's worth it, you know because when we're on stage and we here and see people with tears in their eyes and I'm not talking about ladies, I'm talking about grown men, you know. And we were on one night a few weeks ago and my robe bandager said, Dougiet his name is Dougie, we called him Doue. He said, oh, you have got to see this little three year old boy playing with his car and he said.
Speaker 4: Do do do do do do doud Uh.
Speaker 5: He's three years old. So when you see from three years old, all the way up to almost one hundred. It's worth it, you know. You just have to put up with uh uh, you know, the shenanigans and the moods and the what have you with people, you know, but God has helped me to make it through. They said, Barry Gordy and a lot of the heavyweights at Motown and thereabout have said, oh, you are the glue that holds the temptation together. And I figured that day, if my shoulders are big enough and strong enough to do it, then it's well worth the wait. Because when I'm at home and I walk around my house and look at all of all the things that I've achieved, it's worth there.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: It would be like me crying with a loaf of bread and the moms. So I really can't complain.
Speaker 1: Okay, I gotta I gotta take that into accountant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I really like this guy.
Speaker 2: You would.
Speaker 1: So in the days of the Elgins, before you became a temptation. First of all, how did you guys, what was the transformation from the Elgins to the Temptations.
Speaker 5: Well, even before the Elegins, my group was called ODIs Williams. In the distance. We were with a little smaller because Northern Records and the lady that ran the label, Johnny May Matthews. She recorded us and we had a nice little regional hit called come On, and they did very well, so much so that she.
Speaker 4: Sold the masters to Warwick Records.
Speaker 5: And so one day she came from New York back to Detroit and she just taking out all these hundred dollars. You don't select them, these hundred dollar bills. And that was about this, about seventeen eighteen years old, and she said, well, you guys, your record's gonna be here all over America, sold into Warwick Records, and now they can hear it all.
Speaker 4: Over the world. And I said, oh that's good.
Speaker 5: Did we get some roll with this other because I wrote the first love regional hit And she looked at me with the jounter's eye, she said.
Speaker 4: You getting none of this money. This is my money. Now.
Speaker 5: We were doing record hops back done those days, and record hops is well as you go around to the disc jockeys record hops and so they can continue to play records. So Smoking Smoking Miracle, Smoking Robinson and the Miracles were very hot at the time, and mister Gordon was them. So we could see them from the stage, and as they were coming in, we came off and mister Gordon said, I like your group.
Speaker 4: Your record. If you should leave where you are, come see me. And I did you know?
Speaker 5: Because Johnny Mae had said we were gonna get any of that money. So I called mister Gordon and he said, come on over here and UH see Mickey Stevens.
Speaker 4: It was an r man.
Speaker 5: So johnny Mae kept the name that uh od the swims in the distance, so I guess, being young and whatever, I said, well keep the name.
Speaker 4: We young. We'll start all over again.
Speaker 5: So when we got over to Motown, we stood out in front of a building called uh the uh Legal Department of Motown, and a guy name was Bill Mitchell. He said, so what are we gonna call you guys? And we stood there and we stood there. He said, what about the temptation? I said, I like that. And at the time David Ruffing wasn't in the group, but Al Bryant, Eddie Kendricks, Paul Williams, and Melvin Franklin myself. We were the no name group at the time. So I said, I like that, and I asked it's Paul. I rep I asked all the guys, but Paul Williams said, oldis a name is whatever we make it. So that's a temptation. So Bill hollered back up to legal department put on the contract to Temptations, and so in nineteen sixty one, all the way up till now we have been known as the Temptation.
Speaker 6: The movie totally got that wrong. They over dramatized that whole thing. They said, y'all was sitting outside for like eight hours trying to figure out outside of Hitsville, and then you come in and then mister Gordy says, well, what's your name? Because I can't have y'all be whatever y'all said y'all was, and y'all but like we got to make it sexy. Yeah, yeah, they're del dramatized.
Speaker 5: You know what I learned when I say, because I'm being honest with you, I have yet to sit and watch that mini series.
Speaker 1: Seriously, right, I understand that, but I'm just worried because now they just they show it so much.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Well, what I learned a little bit that I saw the scene where as Melvin Franklin and myself had to go to the David reference apartment. Now the guy that played me, what is it? Then Charles Maleek d B. Woodside who played Melvin, and naturally Leon. So I'm standing in the shadows in the way they're getting the lighting and everything else fixed up. So Allen Archis, the director, said, all right, action camera.
Speaker 4: I rolled them.
Speaker 5: The girl came out with the class well bap and the two brothers that played Melburn and myself knocked on the door, and Leon opened the door. And when they started to deliver their lives, I said, oh no, I can't watch this.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: We're talking about the year in nineteen ninety eight, but when that incident happened, it was nineteen sixty six, so it lets you know that there was still a lot of stuff done underneath. So one day we're in New York where my players getting ready to open up, I mean in DC at the Kennedy Center, and Smoker heard that I hadn't seen the movie. He said, he calls me, oh, oh, you mean you haven't seen a movie. I said, now, Smoker, I don't want to cry. Oh you need to watch a movie. I said, well, I'll get round to watch it. I said, well, let me ask you something. Smoker have you watched it? Oh, I'll watch it, I said, did you cry?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I cry. So you need to get your box of clean aches and sit down and watch it.
Speaker 5: I have yet to watch it, but when I saw it up in Berkeley, I sat there and the move I mean, the play is very touching. It's gonna be seen that you need to take a cleen axe.
Speaker 6: Wait, what's the difference, cause there's an actual there's a play versus the shu the miniseries that we saw.
Speaker 5: Well, the play is very touching in the sense of you get another kind of feel in person. And uh so, as I'm sitting there watching it, the people that's sitting around me, they would watch the play and they would do like to.
Speaker 4: See them get a glance at you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they want to see if I'm crying and true enough tears well enough in my eyes because there's a scene whereas uh uh the white folks are shooting at us down south and uh oh yeah, no, we went through all that, you know, so it's been very real. But you know, I'm very glad that, you know, I was able to put it in paper. Now from that to it'll start next month and and it'll be there for five weeks and then they'll go to LA and then from LA to Toronto and then hopefully Broadway. And they're just waiting for the right theater. And the name of it is Ain't Too Proud The Life and Times of the Temptations.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I got to meet the people that produced that.
Speaker 4: A right, I mean I wrote the screen.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, Detroit girl, she's yeah, it's it's it's amazing.
Speaker 6: And do you at least do like have anything to do with the casting, either the mini series or the play for the person who plays you? Do you care?
Speaker 2: Do you well?
Speaker 5: At first I wanted Lead to play me because Lee and I we're pretty close.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 5: When we get to the greenlight that it was going to be done on NBC, I told us, he, man, they're going to do the Times Life story. I would love for you to play me. He said, oh, oldest man. You know you my man, I'd be glad to play you. So the temps we went to Paris to do it one night or so. By the time we came back from Paris, my manager Shelley said, well, got the green light, we're gonna do it, and uh, but I got to tell you good news and bad news.
Speaker 4: I said, Okay, what's that?
Speaker 7: I said?
Speaker 5: He said, well, Leon is going to be in the miniseries. That's all good, So what's the bad news? He's gonna play David Ruffing?
Speaker 4: What David? I meant? What Leon did. While we were over in Paris.
Speaker 5: Leon went at the pasts that we used to wear back then and called the content on tight all the way down. He went and got his hair, you know, like David used to wear in the glasses.
Speaker 4: Wow. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And when he walked into the casting with all the powers to be that was sitting there Susane in the past and them said, you play David Ruffing.
Speaker 4: That's how he got the role.
Speaker 1: It's weird that you haven't seen it because one of the most iconic lines from it that's become an internet meme is.
Speaker 4: You know I've been getting that class everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But I said, yeah, but look at me now, I'm still here. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, when you guys.
Speaker 1: Started at Motown, explain to our listeners the idea of the charm School, oh wow, going through Well, first of all, just the idea of what was the idea behind wanting to present.
Speaker 2: That and sophisticated.
Speaker 1: Sure, look to America as what was it before and why was that such a revolutionary move?
Speaker 5: Well, I think, you know, talent a lot of times need to be cultivated. You know, you're gonna have all the talent in the world, but it's one thing to know how to present yourself when you are, you know, really out on the front street.
Speaker 4: And I have to give.
Speaker 5: Those accolades to a lot of people, say Barry Gordon, No, I have to give a credit to Harvey a few kuah Harvey a few quas from the monglobes, and he knew Charlie Adkins, and so in the process of Motown really becoming the iconic label it is known for today, evidently Harvey must have met Barry and said, you know, we need to groom these talented kids. And so Barry felt as though it would be a good idea, and they opened up a UH Artists development right across the street from uh Hitsville. We had to be there when uh it was time for us to reheards from ten in the morning til five to six o'clock in the evening. And it was headed by the late Great Charlie Atkins, the late Great Maurice King.
Speaker 4: Who was our vocal coach, and Charlie was our.
Speaker 5: Choreographer Johnny Allen, who would be at the piano and you know, keeping us everything uh you know, uh theoretical, musically uh correct and uh they sat down and they would tell us how to really carry ourselves. You know, it's one thing to have all the talent in the world. But if that's one thing I hate, and I'm always trying to be cognizant of it. I hate for artists get on, uh you know, do inview well them now do dudes, and you know, don't talk correctly. They said, you guys need to know how to talk. You know, of course the world to be watching you. And they told this thing like four things. Maurice King said, don't get involved with you can never tell nobody about how they spend their money, religion, who they make love to. And it's the four when night politics that I said, politics that so and we've had that occasion to come up and I I'm so glad that I had that kind of knowledge being taught at Motown, you know.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 5: But they really, you know, put a lot into us because they were grooming us to go come to the Copa Cabana in the smart rooms. So we would have to rehearse from ten in the morning to six in the evening. And it paid off because you know, I look at a lot of the earlier films and I can see where the proper presentation and how to carry ourselves and how to present ourselves in the sense of speaking interviews and what have you. So it is one of the only company I believe that will that they ever had, that that will never ever be another Motown.
Speaker 1: So would you guys, I know that, at least in the sixties, to play the Kopa right was like the dream. Yes, but similar to how Sam Cook would do it, Like if you were playing the Black Venue, then he did the show enough, get down, you know, sweat off my brow, rebel rousing show. But if at the Copa, then shooting time. So would you guys have dual shows depending on who the audience was. No, so even Mellow Mood Temptations would play the Apollo to that after.
Speaker 5: We open up at the Copa, because we hold all the existing records at the Copa, we went to the Apollo and we opened up with Hollo Young Lovers, I really love Yes.
Speaker 2: And it worked.
Speaker 1: It Yes, Yes, So it was almost like a job. Well, I saw Michael Jackson's I D card, So you guys would have to have these ID cards at Motown or or at Hitsville.
Speaker 5: Not really, So it was they gave them out, you know, you losing, Yeah, and then we they knew who we were. We wanted to walk through whatever department. Hey, what's happening over temp y'all back in town? You know, so it would never always know where real bo who you? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: So how many hours a day would you guys? Uh RaSE verse? And how how did Charlie find that much time to devote to each of the acts because he was he literally was doing everyone from the sixties and the seventies, Yeah, and coming up with these ideas like what was his creative process too?
Speaker 5: You know? I tell you when I first became away of Charlie's uh choreography, the Cadillacs and Detroit where they came to Detroit. Man, Now you know Radio City is the largest indoor theater in America. Fox did in Detroit is the second to see five thousand people going crazy over with five guys are going on the stage. And I said, that's what I want to do now. I was about sixteen years old. So one day I met one of the Cadillacs outside of the Fox and I asked him how did they do all that?
Speaker 4: Who told him that?
Speaker 5: And he said, well, young brother, you know, if you should ever want to do what we're doing, look for a young man named Charlie Atkins. Nineteen sixty four, we were at the Howard Theater were Gladys Knight and a big act. I run out of acts and Charlie was there and I said, oh my goodness, that's Charlie Atkins and sat and talked with him, and he showed me. I still remember the first move. He said, if I had you guys don't the way you do the things you do, I'll show you what I would do. And he got him, did move and opened his arms and there I said, man, But Paul Williams was our choreographer of the temps. But they would work it out systematically, you know, for the hours they would have, like our temps you all would have from like one o'clock to four, and then from four to five the supremes would come in, you know, So they had it systematically worked out where he would give all the acts that needed to come into Motown for that sending amount of time to do it. But we had to be there, damn there every day. I mean it was like being in school work. Oh yeah, it worked.
Speaker 2: So touring with the with the Hitsfield Review.
Speaker 1: Described to our listeners, Uh, the difference between below the Mason Dixon Line touring down South as opposed to doing the show Los Angeles or or was it the same?
Speaker 4: Just no, no, it was different.
Speaker 2: So did you dread? Did you guys dread going down South?
Speaker 5: Not really, because we knew we had fans that wanted to see us because our record was breaking out all over the you know, America. But you can feel a different kind of wind chill factor when you got down in certain parts of the South. Like I'm from Texas and so we were on h Henry Wynn tour, who was the own of the Royal Peacock in Atlanta, Georgia, so he would always have these big rock and roll shows.
Speaker 4: So we got off the bus in Texas.
Speaker 5: And we wanted to eat, get something neat, And when we walked into this restaurant, white guy said, oh, we don't serve and he used in the inn word and we said we don't eat. Him you know, we had to find a place that we could go and uh you know that would feed us.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: So did you guys use that travel guide I see? Yeah, green book?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Green book, the travel guy that lets black artists and black travelers down south know what restaurants are saying or what.
Speaker 5: Now, we never did, we just it was a different kind of network, you know, because we would find out where to go. There were people that, like say and said in his book, that would house us as black artists, you know, because a lot of hotels wouldn't take us, you know, because we were black. So there were certain homes and places down there that would you know, let us stay and feed us and what have you.
Speaker 1: Plus you had you also had white people on the bus as well. So if it was a case of getting to go orders without you guys having.
Speaker 5: To go in like not on our bus. Real all blackness really yeah? Wow, yeah, yep, Yeah, that's what we were saying.
Speaker 6: Y'all needed a guide or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well we had the best guy in the world.
Speaker 6: God amen.
Speaker 4: He wrote us through all that.
Speaker 1: What was the what was the city the one city or state that you dreaded going to at least in that period in the in the mid sixties early sixties.
Speaker 4: Wow, I don't get in trouble, but Mississippi.
Speaker 6: With the Mississippi God, damn, that was here, y'all.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but uh, we were in Columbia, South Carolina, nineteen sixty four and place was rocking. They had a rope right down the center of the auditorium, blacks on one side, white on the other. So we were singing and sound man, this ship ain't cool, you know. So okay, we came back, same venue, same city next year. That next year, there was no rope, black and white sitting side by side, booty banging, high fiving and having fun. If it wasn't for the sweat that we were sweating, you would have seen five guys on stage crying.
Speaker 4: The power of music, were y'all?
Speaker 6: Then after that moment, because they showed that in the in the series too. But after that moment, did it change? Uh in the sense of groupies as well, because it wasn't now safe to have like groupies of all colors? Like did you see the difference in that?
Speaker 4: Well, the group is back there, I mean, how did that work?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 6: When the Uh, you.
Speaker 5: Have to be very cautious cautious that you know, uh, we always pretty much stayed within our color line, you know, be old, so we knew how if you did that, like Chuck Berry said, he did that, he ain't got no, we weren't getting there. No no, no, no no no. I am not going to the gray Ball Hotel.
Speaker 4: You know so.
Speaker 2: Nice Gray Bard Damn.
Speaker 4: Oh, I love it.
Speaker 5: I've been told you you should do an odicism because that's the way my ID done.
Speaker 4: Excuse me, what the hell is a ring? Hey, Shelley, I'll call you back. It's my manager. I'll call you back. Jail shall we still okay? Yeah, see you later, gone.
Speaker 6: See you later, taking.
Speaker 1: Shall he's been the temptatious manager since the beginning correct nineteen sixty six.
Speaker 2: That's well, that's amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's getting ready to be eighty years.
Speaker 2: Old and still going strong, still sharpens.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, he'll be uh at the play. He's coming here because the stage temptations they are already rehearsing now okay, and I just talked with a couple of them. So he's coming in to sit and watch that and make sure everything is going correct.
Speaker 2: It's amazing.
Speaker 1: So when you when you guys, uh, got to the late sixties and was easing into your psychedelic phase. Sure, I guess it starts with the Cloud nine record. Well, first of all, the addition of is that when Dennis made his debut with the group.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, uh, Cloud and Iron came about gambling. Huff was a friend of mine. Him and I were talking Warwick Hotel right up the road. So as him and I were talking, uh, we heard this boom boom boom too, so it stopped. We stopped and said, uh, who the hell is that you know with that? Cause it was so different. So we listened and the guy said I was Sliding the Family Stone. So went back to Detroit. Now Norman Woodfield had recorded Ain't too Proud to Bey, Please Return your Love. I wish you would range. So we were doing the ballots and what have you. So when we came back to Detroit, Norman and I we grew up together because he played tambourine on my first hit with jud Mae Matthews. So I asked you, Norman, I said, Norman, have you heard this group called Slide the Family Stone? And Norman was very cocky.
Speaker 4: No, man, I ain't heard no damn slide.
Speaker 5: I said, well, you should check them out, man, because they doing something that we should probably uh check out, because we were letting David go at the time. So nor no, no, no, you know, he did all that wolf in and ghetto. So we went out of town and came back in. He had recorded the track to Cloud nine. I said, oh, all right, he used it N word on men, just go ahead and record this year, and we went in and recorded. Now, we were spoiled because most cases, when we would record any of our records, like the Way You Do Things, you do My Girl and whatever, or it just run up the charts and just craw from R and B right on to pop. So when they released Cloud nine, uh, it was spooky, you know, because we had gotten so used to having hits jump right on the charts right away. So about a week and a half, two weeks all almost three, we're gonna say, oh my god, yeah, I said, oh damn, we didn't dropped on this one motown call. He said, well they finally took off, you know, And I guess our fans were saying, what the hell did the temptation?
Speaker 4: Dude?
Speaker 5: This is so Differentulu. We were just coming off a hit up please Return Your Love. Yeah, and uh so it really you know, Skyrocketer and we got the first Grammy for the Tams in Motown and that was nineteen sixty eight, and that was Dennis's first big hit with the Tams.
Speaker 4: Time Out.
Speaker 1: Yes, Motown's first Grammy in nineteen sixty eight.
Speaker 2: Yes, so they weren't the Grammys. Weren't that? I mean the number one record? Like what the fuck? That's what you gotta figure it?
Speaker 4: Like, that's all right, you gets told.
Speaker 1: You gotta figure out, like records like South Pacific and the Mind of Bob Newhart was like number one, Like those records were number one in the sixties.
Speaker 2: Like the Beatles. The Beatles don't have a Grammy. Yeah, I don't think that, Yeah, the Beatles on Wow.
Speaker 1: So it's just like, yeah, early seventies when like, yeah, semi inclusive, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, that's that's that is crazy to know that.
Speaker 1: But with okay, I'm glad you brought that up because I always wanted to know.
Speaker 8: One.
Speaker 2: Were you guys even aware or at least Norman?
Speaker 1: I think it was more to Norman and less to you guys. But were you guys even aware of sly Stones kind of casual flip off on high fun the summertime to you guys, oh somewhat yeah, like what did you guys? Do you guys know the story behind it? Okay, So Roses parts of Hot Fun in Summerstime was basically Sly like I we invented the breakdown, the boo boo breakdown and you know, like just bucking a little shot. I never knew that. But it was aimed at Norman. But did he did he ever respond? Did he ever meet Sly?
Speaker 2: Or do you know?
Speaker 5: Not that I know of, I don't know if he ever met so Baker, So no, I don't. He never mentioned it to me, Okay.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now I've always been curious about that because I think Slilight finally revealed it, like maybe.
Speaker 2: Fifteen years ago.
Speaker 1: But as far as h Norman Whitfield's productions and the heavy militancy, militant message of the group far away from wanting to be at the copa, and you know, how did you guys manage to convince Barry Gordy that that's the direction of the group. Like a song like Run Charlie Run, which speaks of white flight in the most explicit terms possible like, how was how did Barry take that?
Speaker 4: You know what quest?
Speaker 5: We were having so many hit records with Norman that when we made the transition from the ballots and you know, straight up on b within the cloud. Nine told me one day he said, you know the oldest baring him, don't even bother us anymore about quality control because every Friday they would have what they call qualitative control everything that was recorded during the week. They would sit down at the end of the week and listen at and say, yeah, they what and man, I think this needs to be a little more heavy based and not too much too much of that. You know, they do all that kind of critiquing and uh so, uh Norman would be part of that. You know, he would be in there because he was one of the producers. But you know, we were having so many hit records with the Norman and that they didn't never bother us about whatever we would come up with. Because when Norman came up with that song, run Charlie Run, Huh the niggas are coming, I said, Norman, you got to be kidding. Yeah, But that was Norman. He was that kind of creative person outside of the box.
Speaker 1: Were you guys at all confused about his Like, I know that he was trying to, as a producer, present the cinematic scope of you know, have a lot of drama in his music. So songs like Masterpiece will let six seven minutes go by before the vocals even.
Speaker 2: Start, which which is unprecedented.
Speaker 1: I mean now it's standard standard, but back then it was like I didn't even know that Masterpiece had lyrics that like, I just assumed that the whole thing was an instrumental.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you some questions. It's very interesting that you should bring that up, because that was the song that made me say, oh, we got to leave Norman one.
Speaker 4: We were over in a straight on that Belgium.
Speaker 5: So they sent me a breakdown of what was happening, excuse me, and the article said the Norman would feeld singers all of us. Wow, wait, the Norman would feel singers. And it was about Masterpiece. Boy, I mean, I was sold down. Mad I called and said what So when we got back to Detroit, I told him Barr I said, we gotta let Norman go because when you listen at Masterpiece, it's just only a little small segment of us singing, and everything else is all this said, beautifully elongated strange horns and doom doom, doom doom, all.
Speaker 4: That I know.
Speaker 5: Mary said, yes, yeah, you're right, because we had such a great run with Norman. But you know when they started calling us the Norman would Field singers, I said, no, no, we didn't work all these years. It's hard to lose our identity. Yeah, just that quick. And but that's the song that made me call and said we gotta go. And Berry there again was always there for Melvin and myself, And that was the song that was the changing thing from us leaving Norman after about eight or nine years of being with Norman.
Speaker 4: What was hits?
Speaker 1: But what was his theory for making these songs thirteen fourteen minutes long?
Speaker 5: Well normal is you know, he was very innovative. He always wanted to be different from Smokey and Holland Dosja Holland and Astro and Simpson. So he definitely always you know, after Please Return Your Love and when we ventured over to uh Cloud nine, he always started to think out of the box. So, like I said, the run Charlie Run and uh uh the Cloud Nines and the message from a Black Man, that was just his way of expressing uh hisself, of wanting to be different, and uh he just uh started thinking that way and he we could not get him to come back to the sweet ballance. The only way we got him to do just uh my uh, just my imagination. Well, I said, Norman, we out there, we hear what our found, our fans want us to do. You got to come on and get off of that side. Yeah yeah, yeah, man. You know y to know Norman, very cocky, very gootistical, wonderful friend of mine. But you have to know how to deal with Norman. So he recorded Just My Imagination and that was the last record Eddie Kendricks did with us. And I so uh saw USA on Ed Sullivan and we were singing Just My Imagination. And I looked at it and I said, boy, I wonder if the world can look at the uh our faces said, those guys don't look to be too happy. Oh, next time you see it on Uh. Of course they showed it the other night. And we're sitting there singing on a little box and you know, looking just straight ahead, no emotion in your other than sadness. And uh but you know that's the way it goes sometimes when you're dealing with very uh talented people.
Speaker 1: I was asking how hard was it to to lose Eddie Kendricks as a singer because his I mean with at least with uh uh Dennis right and in his raspy baritone fitting but Eddie's falsetto is such a smooth Oh yeah, yeah, was it hard to lose?
Speaker 7: And uh yeah it was r It was rough to lose uh Eddie because he was such a such a talent, you know, far as singing, and he's been no excuse me, no that it's one of the best tennis group wise.
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, in the business, you know. But uh, I'm often asked about otis when you need to find somebody, what do you look for? I look for I don't look for talent first, so see that's the look I always would get.
Speaker 4: You don't. What is?
Speaker 5: I look forhead and heart? You can have all the talent in the world. Excuse me, if your asshole of a person you're going to negate the talent, that's it.
Speaker 4: I can vouch for that.
Speaker 1: Actually, personally, I actually have all the talent in the world.
Speaker 4: It's it's unfortunately but accurate.
Speaker 1: When you when you first of all, how how are the the exits and entry. I mean, I'm sure everyone in their mind would like to think like everything was amicable and you know, guys.
Speaker 2: I just get my one month notice, Like how how how are they executed? And how fast do you have to find? Like what was the network?
Speaker 1: Like at least with the Internet, I can go on in search and search drummer instantly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but now it wasn't like I like that. Well for us.
Speaker 5: We were at the Copa and at the time Paul Williams then they said it was moving Frank with myself and Eddie. Eddie and myself got into an argument. So we were doing two shows at the Copa and we stayed right around the corner of the Sharing Netherlands. Uh so I went back to the hotel until uh it was time to come back to do the second show. We ended up doing the show with four. Eddie just said, kissed the monkey on the boss spot, I'm gone, and we had to do the show at the Copa with.
Speaker 4: Four, so it was no fellas.
Speaker 5: After the show, I'm gonna leave, Eddie said, yeah, I had to deal with that kind of stuff. Oh, I mean I can go down in my home. That is a friend of mine that did a beautiful portrait of twenty two different members.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: I got to ask her to do oh yeah, nice twenty four whoa yeah, And I was standing in my living room and look from al all the way up until till now. But I got to add Willie and Larry they would be Was.
Speaker 6: There ever a moment where you were like, okay, just I can't lose Melon, Like, was there a person like I just can't lose Melvin. I just can't lose it.
Speaker 5: Just we Yeah, well I didn't want to lose Melo well, right.
Speaker 6: Because in my mind I'm like, who replaces Melvion?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, well you got lucky with Ray Davis, like if someone had to replace it Melvin.
Speaker 2: Right when I found out that Ray Davis was.
Speaker 1: A replacement, I was like, oh my god, that's that's like because he always wanted to be a you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So the fact that you got him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was a short lived thing with Ray because he did for lovers only, right, just one project, right, And I would always send whomever would join the group to the doctor. We said, you have to be checked out because we have been told that we are athletes that just sing, you know, because there are times were on the stage, we have to be on stage four and a hair you know, doing all that stuff. You built up being good shape. So uh, Ray went to uh our doctor. So I always go and get mind your physical for what we're doing. So doctor Heygary said, well, older said, I'm I got some bad news to tell you. You need to look for another bass singer. I said, really, Doc, He said he's not gonna be hit too long. Oh man, cancer and I Ray didn't smoke. It didn't smoke, and true enough we had to let him go because of health reasons.
Speaker 4: Wow. Yeah.
Speaker 5: But the guy that we have now, Willy Green, and you know, uh people said, yu, you oldest had found someone almost the equivalents of Melvin England. Ye okay, yeah, Willie is a cold piece of work.
Speaker 6: You mentioned. You know, this whole thing is physical. You have to go to the doctors. How do you ODIs preserve your knees? I mean y'all performed on hard bottom shoes, yes, for decades?
Speaker 4: Well this year right me?
Speaker 5: Now, Uh, I've had surgery on both of the you know, from years of dancing, you know, and then rehearsing, you know, because can you.
Speaker 6: Wear sneakers now, No, it's still the hard Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can wear pretty much the only thing that bothers like going up and coming downstairs. But other than that, when it's time to hit the stage, kiss the monkey on the balls.
Speaker 1: But I'm there, so that's the ass right Wait, speaking of stage, Yeah, who invented the Temptations microphone stand?
Speaker 4: You know what?
Speaker 5: I have to give credit to David Ruffin when they were rehearsing us for the Coca Cabato and you know, Charlie Atkins non Fontaine. So we around rehearsing and we had a moment just to sit and kick it. So David said, man, you know, if we really wanted to be different, you know what we should do. We should get a microphone that with four heads on it and we can stand around that. And so we just give you know, kibbish and whatever. And uh, Lane Fontaine, who was helping us do the icography, he said, oh, I know somebody can do that. I said really, he said yeah. I said, well, we drew up a thing with the pole and the fourheaded mic Lan knew somebody at the Star Trek back then, somebody connected with Star Trek Wow fixed the microphone up for us and I gave it to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nineteen ninety one. And the reason we stopped using it because it was unique for us moving right there in the spot. But we wanted to open up. We couldn't open up because the mic was just right there, and you know, so after a while we said, man, the mic is great and it has worn.
Speaker 4: Off his novelty and what have you.
Speaker 5: So we stopped using it and wanted to be spread out of all more on stage.
Speaker 2: I always wanted to know.
Speaker 1: When I was twenty something, I had a particular light stand that was sort of like a boom mic that had two lights on it, right, but it would always fall over. Always wondered how sturdy that microphone stand was, like if you if one guy were to adjust it and throw off the balance of it. Has that microphone stand ever fallen over?
Speaker 2: It never on.
Speaker 5: People did a great job of balancing it out with the full hits on it, and they hit the support system on the h mic that if I should move my mind, it would intil the others.
Speaker 8: Star Trek, that's uh yeah, that's uh yeah, okay, it must be sturdy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know that in the.
Speaker 2: Mid seventies kind of a little bit after the.
Speaker 1: Song for you House Party Area era, you guys went to Atlantic.
Speaker 4: Mm hmmm, well I have bear it back.
Speaker 2: I forget that before it but.
Speaker 5: Between almost album with Atlantic.
Speaker 1: Look, but my question is, uh, how hard was it to leave Moti Weave an institution like Motown and I know that, you know, the Four Tops went to ABC for a second and some ARTI the Jackson's went to CES.
Speaker 2: So everyone was sort of making it.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you something that's very and they didn't show this in the over. We still had time on our contract, you know. Barry said he got tired of running Motown on a day to day basis. It was beginning to weigh him down. So he started hiring like Abner who used to be with VJ Records. Then Abner left and I had this guy named Barney Illis that was running it. So we had a meeting, uh with Barney Illis. Uh Ral Selson, the attorney Shelly Susan in the past and attempts. So mister Ellis, I guess he was pissed off because we had the jackson in us had the same attorney aide summons a noted entertainment attorney, and he had engineered a hell of a contract for the Jackson's to sign with Epic. And so when we had the meeting with mister Ellis, it was a wind chi effect in the room.
Speaker 4: So he said he took his list brown.
Speaker 5: Soon as y'all get rid of mister Summers, the better things to be for you guys around here.
Speaker 4: The room would hush. I said, said, what.
Speaker 5: Soon as you get rid of mister Summers, things to be a lot better for you guys around here. I said, Oh, no, we're not getting rid of our attorneys, because you guys got somebody people around here that we don't like. But I bet you won't find them because we don't like them. So he pointed down at the end of the table to rolh Selston. He said, if abe Summons, Oh, don't you answer his call? I said, oh, Susanne sat there, Shelley sat there.
Speaker 4: The group. So I said, well, I guess that's the end of the meeting. So we left.
Speaker 5: Marvin Gay had to come in and have the same meeting with this guy. Susie I Ketta, who was our project manager.
Speaker 4: She called me.
Speaker 5: She said, oldest Marvin just left the meeting, cried, I said, well, why do Barry have this guy run in his axe off like this? So Barry was in a La Costa on vacation and he called me in and he said, oldis I am so sorry that that went down? Uh, what can we do to erectify it? I said, we wanna leave Barry silence on the phone. He said, well, what kind of money can we get? I say, it's not about money, it's about respect. Now we don't wanna be here. So he was very sad in here. Then he said, alright, I'll work it out and we'll we'll get past this. And they worked it out. We left Motown and signed with uh uh, we're almost signed with CBS. But it was predicated on gambling hoof presenting uh producing us.
Speaker 4: But really yeah whoa yeah.
Speaker 5: Now come, well Kenny and I go back to doing the early sixties could be something yeah yeah, oh yeah, I mean cause CBS was getting ready to get up out for a ton of money for us, you know. But Kenny told me, he said, oh this after I do the Jackson's cause he did, uh the Jackson, enjoy yourself. He said, no, I wanna concentrate on my own acts. He said, you know, you know, I've always wanted to produced attempts, but uh, I'm just gonna concentrate on my axe.
Speaker 4: And I said, I'll be damn. I said, well, Ken, I can't.
Speaker 5: Argue with you because if if this is what you wanna do, yeah, you gotta do what you have to do. And so Jerry Greenberg, who was the president of Atlantic Records, I made a wonderful offer and so abelm has worked it out and so we went to Atlantic Records.
Speaker 1: But that's how you guys have messed with I'm at urgan at all, Like I mean, was he oh, well, you know it was glad that okay, So it wasn't hands on and yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 5: He really wanted to stand. But Jerry Greenbery was the president of Atlantic at the time.
Speaker 1: So you're saying the leadership of Motown in the mid seventies sort of caused sourness something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, truth be told, shame the devil.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, I'm learning all these devil monkey. Yeah, I'm learning all.
Speaker 6: I'm glad to know because I was. It's funny. I was in watching that series. I was like, so it's always been Sunshine and Roses with mister Gordy and the Temptations.
Speaker 4: That just was an odd well, you know for mister Gordon and us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we've we've pretty much always haven't had a wonderful yeah, no relationship even.
Speaker 6: Today and even in that part where you know you and they introduced Shelley. It's an interesting practice back then and I don't think I guess it's not his practice now in the music industry where he introduced you guys to your manager right back then, right back then.
Speaker 5: At the beginning, Ester Guardy Barry's oldest sister was our manager. But I feel wow, I guess he felt.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he was all up in mister yeah.
Speaker 5: Well he telling my family yeah yeah, yeah yeah, but uh, I guess he felt as though he needed somebody that they could get us on their Sullivan's show when exposed us to Yeah, because he got us away from ABC Records and we signed with William Morris and that was a big bullhur behind us leaving ABC because Shell had well, like I said, with some things.
Speaker 4: That went down then. I won't go into too deep, but I've had a very interesting career.
Speaker 2: You see a.
Speaker 1: Little you guys returning eighty with uh Howard Power yeah right, and he so he he Barry Gordy produced that himself.
Speaker 4: For yes, he did.
Speaker 5: Barry sat on Power because we were at Atlantic and Elan de barge excuse me, was the de barge were still there? And uh, he said, I knew you guys was coming back. I said, really, Bear he said, oh yeah, he said, I know. It was just amount of time, he said. I had worked there on this song power, he said, but I did not have a group over here that could pull it off, like I knew the tenth Wood because he loved Melvin's power up on that base.
Speaker 4: He loved Melvin's base.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's seven minutes in a row man, that's right, right, Okay, how many tastes did that?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Was that a lot of cutting and face thing or he just just straight straight through?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 4: Straight through?
Speaker 2: That's hard.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, he got behind that might.
Speaker 5: Close his eyes and he would bawl his fists and he was down just like a metronome, right in the pocket. And uh, Baris, I knew you guys were coming back, And uh we did Power well two hundred thousand immediately right out the gate. It was a riot down in Florida. The stations across the country got off of it because they didn't want the lyrics that.
Speaker 4: Were so powerful in power. Yeah. Yeah, they didn't want to incense it to go any further.
Speaker 5: And we were hot, you know, broken because the record was moving, it was going. But that incident down in Florida made made the disjot gets back up off of it because you know, it was tenuous times even at that time.
Speaker 2: So was it your idea?
Speaker 1: Uh? I guess in eighty two, and I guess to commemorate the by that point, I don't know if it was twenty years or thirty. I don't know how long. When did you guys, you guys officially start in sixty or sixty two?
Speaker 5: Motown? Yeah, sixty one. I have a contract in my home that my mother signed.
Speaker 1: Okay sixty one, So okay, so eighty two when the reunion alum happens, that's the comer, right, the.
Speaker 2: Whose idea was it? To broker the.
Speaker 4: Our fan base?
Speaker 5: I have a saying that I have since uh and been saying quite often a few people around me and say, oldest, I see what you mean. We just said the world loves us, but we did not love ourself. We would let matter what shouldn't matter drugs. I mean, I'm just under the way it is drugs.
Speaker 1: So it was the reunion was sort of bittersweet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when if you guys tour behind that record.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, standing on the top. Yeah, we returned. Our first date was in Detroit, Michigan at the Fisher Theater. David Ruffin came and he said, oldest, I promise you, I won't be doing all that crazy ship and I was doing before. I just want to get back in the group. I s promise you. I'm I'm straet ain't gonna cause for the lo I was the last man the whole lot, cause Melbourne was saying, come on, bru, let's do this year.
Speaker 4: You know, the fans wants.
Speaker 2: You were the last old day. I felt like it was your idea.
Speaker 5: Like no, m cause I knew what they were doing, even when I had my my own set of temptations. Okay, yeah, cause I would see here there from time to time, and.
Speaker 4: Paul he was already gone.
Speaker 5: Because Paul had passed, uh what seventy and seventy one?
Speaker 4: That about.
Speaker 5: But I knew what David was doing, I knew what Eddie was doing, and you know, and I I'm not sitting here dennegrating these guys cause I love him still. But you know, like I said, tell the truth, shame the devil. So even Kenny Gamma. We went to Philly, and Kenny has always wanted to produce the TEMs and uh, Jimmy Bishop was the spearhead of trying to get it together. But I guess for whatever reason, Jimmy Bishop bowed out.
Speaker 6: Wow, Jimmy Bishop, that's like legendary name and uh the R Philadelphia ru.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So uh anyway, we uh persevered and I said, all right, Melvin, let's do this. So we got together when we started rehearsing, and we got a very good show together.
Speaker 4: First day. Well we're broken in.
Speaker 5: Down and uh place in Texas to you know the customary thing for us go off and break the act in off the beaten paths. So when we get on the shown u how visible road.
Speaker 4: We'd be tight.
Speaker 5: So when we got to Detroit Fisher Theater, people wrapped around the building and like I said, I'm not trying to integrate anybody, but time we got there, Ruffling was roughing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you think that was a fear of his? Like what do you what's your assessment of not being able to let those demons demons go. I've, at least in my particular field, I know that cats that that, uh, all they have to do is just step up to the plate and do what they gotta do.
Speaker 6: And he's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's kind of But I always just wondered, like him not being able to get it together. I mean, obviously that stems from a fear. I don't know if that's survivor's guilt.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's you know.
Speaker 4: Like, of course, you know how everybody can handle success.
Speaker 5: Success can be a strong ath for Djak, you know, And it's all.
Speaker 4: I mean on the real set.
Speaker 5: There have been so many different parties for us throughout our career that we were in Detroit and I had to go off to myself and pinch myself. So I don't believe this year ship is really happening. I mean, all kind of doors was opening up to us. I mean all kinds of adulation, you know, women, you know, all kinds of things. You know that if you're not strong from within, oh yeah you can go. Yeah you know so, but we y all handle success differently.
Speaker 6: But you also you always you mentioned like your mom signed your first contract, like you had a foundation. Yeah, And I know, briefly in the series they mentioned like David he said he was like raised by a pimp and like he had all so in that foundation. And a lot of y'all had some good like even Melvin you can tell had like the foundation his mother was yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but the Ruffian did.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 5: He had had a very sordid life, you know, in the sense of uh yeah, uh little They called him at first little David Bush, yeah, because he was uh living with this guy named uh Eddie Bush, and so he took David under his arm wings and called him a little David Bush. And David had about six or seven singles before uh he joined the Thames and uh I would see him at various record houses. And the brother was a cold piece of work, though I mean in the good sense. I mean David Ruffan throw that microphone up, spin around, dropped to his knees, and as the microphone came, what's coming down, He'd grab it and going into his ay. So one day he said, oh this, I wanna sing with your group. And I was surprised because they said, wait, wait, say back that train up. Said again, and he said, I wanna sing with your group. I said, boy, if you were to join us, we'd really be something else certain. And he knew that we had a very strong reputation in Detroit as far as the group and doing what we do. And uh, so he joined the group in nineteen well sixty three when he started hanging with us.
Speaker 4: So it was six you know at the time.
Speaker 5: Because their Eddie, Paul, Melvin, Uh, David and and no Al and then David and we used to close the show would shout and uh, we're at this place called Chapis Lounge. And as we closed, they kept calling for us to come back. So we went back two more times and the third time, Uh they kept calling and uh Al said, Man, we gotta go back. They keep calling us. So Paul said, man, what we gonna do. We can't keep going back there clothing with sh out. We've done it two times, you know, we gotta let it go. Al was drinking and uh when Paul said no, we can't go back, m Al said, and malf I'll hit you with this ball right an A. I was the only one that could could listen that I Al would listen to. I was just a little bit off time because when I I could read Al's eyes, his ass eyes would get that kind of focused thing. I said, And by the time I tried to grab his arm right across Paul's note, I came out the club and leaned up against the door, came out of the dressing room leaning up against the door, and Eddie Melvin and David Smith was wrong, was wrong? They saw the look that I had on my face. I said, Al just opened up Paul's face. But check this out. Took Paul to the hospital. I said, well, I'm gonna have to let Al go. I mean, Paul, were gonna have to let Al go? And no, no, don't don't do that. I feel we got we getting ready to make it. So I'm not gonna have that kind of fighting. And I said, I we can have disagreements, but I just thought his eyes was gone cause he hid him until the day Paul died. He had a scar right across the bridge his nose. M So we were at the Fox, and you know, like I said, Paul was the one that started us to be noted piocography. So Paul and Melbourne did this and moved where they would jump down and do the see the place that the fox went crazy? So I said, hey, hell, come on, man, let's get a piece of the action. And all said, now, no, we're gonna stay back here, we the pretty boys. And that's when I said, gotta let him go. Yep, gotta let him go. And when he came off, I said, you gotta go. Man entered David Ruffit and that's when the hot, the tempts, you know, the not attempts became uh well we are.
Speaker 1: Was there any interaction with uh EX members while they were on their solo ten years, like did you guys feel like a certain way about keep on trucking or or any of David ruff and stuff in the solar period or even oh.
Speaker 5: Well, I I was happy to see that David and Eddie were able to still do you know, because very talented guys. Now my whole world ended. That was originally written for the Thames. Okay, but Norman Whitfield, not Norman uh Harvey Fuqaha and Johnny Bristol. They could never get it to us because Norman Whitfield was h stringer hits, stringer hits. So when David left, they put it on David and that's the Originals, that's doing the background on my whole world ended? And uh, well, Eddie. You know I knew Eddie would always be successful because he was such a unique uh talent saying wise, so Frank Wilson when he did tr uh keep on trucking and book it down. You know Edie was very very uh success uh successful.
Speaker 1: Who in in your career as far as production is concerned, You guys worked with everyone from the corporation to Normal Waitfield to Rick James, Rick James al McKay, yeah, the Fire and all his cats, even what Benny Madeena even worked on the Reunion record.
Speaker 2: You ever seen his name? Who?
Speaker 1: What is your what is your preferred? Not effective as far as who brought us the most hits? But who was your favorite producer to work with? As far as like who really understood the group? Who was pleasant to work with?
Speaker 5: I would have to say Smoke it first, Okay, Smoking band group singer. Smoking was always organized when he would bring us whatever song, the way you do the things you do my girls, since I lost my baby, he left the background harmonies up to us. He would show us the basic part of the song. But Smoking was always organized, easy, to, you know, work for record, because when we did My Girl, how that came about, he came and saw us at the twenty grand, a noted club and d Detroit, And after the show he came back and he was marveling on how great we were, and he looked at us, and then he looked at David. He said, I have a song for you and show us being young, dum full of you know what. He said, Man, bring it on. We can sing anything. And we came here to the Apollo and we Smoking them our headline. We were co stars and field access on that. So in between the shows we would rehearse with Smoking and went back to Detroit after rehearsing with him for My Girl, and he put the background and the leason, and when Paul Riser came and added the strings and horns, Smoker was sitting at the console, you know, working the boys. And I said, Smoking, I don't know how big a record this is gonna become, but I think we got one on our hands. The record was recorded that fall of sixty four. They released it December twenty eighth, nineteen sixty four. We were at the Apollo February nineteen sixty five. Barry sent us a telegram congratulating us. It's number one sold over me in records. The Beatles sent us a telegram congratulating us. And I still have those uh telegrams at home now. But I always think back then, I said, I knew this song was gonna be something. I knew the song was good at at the you know, with the essence of us. But when Paul Riser added the stringer and the horns.
Speaker 4: It gave it a whole nother daylight and true enough.
Speaker 5: When we do that song today, it's like people growing up out of the ground like trees.
Speaker 4: They just started to stand up.
Speaker 5: And we made the mistake, like years ago, record did what it was gonna do. So Paul was in charge of the rundown. He said, well, we can take my Girl out of it. Did what it's gonna do. So we took it out and we did the show. Quest y'all, they call us every name except the child of God, so we will that is, I tell the guys even today, I said, there are song, certain songs we can never ever take out. My girl just my imagination. Ain't too proud to be can't get next to you. Papa was a rolling Stone losing you now, treat it like a lady. So like we have a new record album out now, and so I'm tasked with and the hell I'm going to do because we only have a.
Speaker 4: Four hours show?
Speaker 2: Man, how long is.
Speaker 1: The average hour and a half to pack all this hour and a half? I mean that's with with banter in between and non just.
Speaker 6: One hook, right, like, just go to one hook and then go to the next song.
Speaker 4: Well we got yeah, no, we work it our way. We well, like, ain't you proud? We do all of ain't you proud? We do all of my girl and the what you do?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 5: Fortunately, you know, we try not to never cheat our fans because they paid their money to see the show. So but uh yeah, you know I want to half. You know, we try and insert as much as we can so they can say I'm still jumping around you after all these just switched, That's what they're saying now, because we just did a big show in uh outside of Maryland, and it was packed there and I have been getting calls by man and the most amazing thing. But the seold is still up there, keeping up with the rest of I said, I'm keeping up with them.
Speaker 6: Right, Yo, what do you say that? Like the young artists who you know, there are some artists who maybe two albums that are tied of doing their song that was the big hid in it.
Speaker 5: Any time you have fans, that's been the heart earned money to come see you. And you're gonna tell I'm tired. Oh, we don't want to do that. Uh, then you should leave it alone.
Speaker 6: I want to do all my new stuff.
Speaker 4: They should leave the get out the business.
Speaker 6: That's what we think too when we're in the audience.
Speaker 5: But you know, see, yeah, well I'm an artist and I'm telling them that's the attitude you have.
Speaker 4: Get out of the business.
Speaker 5: Paper spend their hard earned money in the cee these songs and you don't want to do them because you're tired doing them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I want to use the N word of please.
Speaker 1: How uh of the groups that you guys have inspired, especially the seventies, onslaught of groups everyone from Blue Magic to.
Speaker 2: Dynamics is periods.
Speaker 1: Well, I was sticking in the seventies, but I mean even even well, I mean well yeah, just as at least.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, hang on, because the thing is is that I.
Speaker 1: Feel like when it's twenty years down the line and it's someone young, then you're more willing to accept like, yeah, I influenced them.
Speaker 2: Okay, get where you go.
Speaker 1: But how did you guys feel like with the onslaught of all the seventies groups that are based on you guys, And I mean like all those groups the choice for the champments, Yeah, enchantment, like just all those groups that have the same breakdown a falsetto guy, I have a bathroom.
Speaker 2: Guy, did you guys feel a certain way or.
Speaker 5: You know, as a compliment, you know, well, and when you sit I mean, I tell you all the way today. When I watched Bruno Mars when he had he did the Super Bowl a couple of years ago, I saw three important elements in his show James Brown, Michael Jackson and the temptation. Now he's here in the twenty first century, so our influence reached from now all the way back then runs the gamut. And when I have, uh, I see somebody that's doing us, I said, Okay, I I liked him cause the tempters influenced them. You know, so you can't do nothing but take it as a uh a compliment.
Speaker 4: You guys.
Speaker 2: Cover Bruno on the New record right.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, we did one of his homes. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh huh and remember the time, right uh yeah yeah, remember yeah.
Speaker 4: Uh well remember the time I tell you when I.
Speaker 5: Got the list and they said, well, just pick out what you want uh to do for the new album.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 5: Mike had invited me down to the studio when he was recording. Remember the time, and him and I were in the uh his uh trailer talking you know, and uh when they said Mike ready for you. But him and I were sitting in his trailer talking about days of yo because UH ain't table what brought back to mind because we were talking about we were in Chicago and uh Jesse Jackson had uh yeah, and they hit the ten of us on stage, so uh when I guess the girl said, oh oh they getting ready to come off the stage. All these women and girls started coming to get on the stage. So one of the security guys, what are we gonna do to protect these guys? There's ten of them. Somebody said get a U haul truck. They got a U haul truck. They put the ten of us in there with security and uh it was pitch black in then.
Speaker 4: But Mike said, where's oldis?
Speaker 5: Where's ODIs and somebody cut the light on inside the truck and I said, Mike, Mike, I'm right here. I never will forget the look that he had in his eyes of love, now, min you. He didn't ask about his brothers, he didn't ask about the other towns.
Speaker 4: Where's oldest?
Speaker 5: And I said, I'm right here, Mike, I'm right here. And he looked up there and he had the damn this little I love you look in his eyes. So but I was there at the uh uh taping of remembering the time. So when I saw it, I said, oh no, we gotta do remember the time because it gave me that kind of remembrance that's so cool.
Speaker 1: In your in your entire catalog, if you could just what what to you is your three personal quintessential favorites and in the Temptations.
Speaker 4: Catalog right out the gate, my girl.
Speaker 1: So even though you performed it every day of your life, and.
Speaker 5: That's you, that one uh I had saying too proud to beg because Norman brought that track to my house because we all lived in Detroit, and uh I said, man, the track is ooh you know, so uh ain't too proud. It would be the second one. You know, I'm gonna temptation fan. I could go longer than three, but you get only pick three. Just my imagination.
Speaker 1: What okay, what one under the radar song that I was gonna ask that? Yeah, never really made it, like a favorite of yours. That didn't make it, Like when you think that deserves a second look, that didn't get a shot the first time.
Speaker 5: Now, this is one I really enjoy listening at. And it was a guy that worked at Motown named Steve McKeeva. Steve yes, yeah, okay, oh yeah, he said, oldest, that elevated eyes.
Speaker 4: I said, really, I said, I've always liked that.
Speaker 2: Your elevator eyes. That's a whole I work in thirty rocks. That's hr we get sent to the principal office for elevator.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Well, young lady, she's since passed.
Speaker 5: She was a forensic psychologist and her and I were talking and she said, older said, have you ever heard of the term elevated eyes? I said, hell, oh no, I ain't never heard of that. And she said, well, if you are working in the blue collar field and a young lady walked by and you be to my now, baby, you show oh excuse me, and go and continue where she can go to the human resources.
Speaker 2: H yes, exactly your job. Wow, we're not alone. There was something that we just made up.
Speaker 5: But what made me really say, oh, okay, you're not the only one. Uh Oprah had a forensic psychologists on our show and I said the same thing. She said, No, I've never I said, I don't feel like boo to fool any if over he heard and uh, I said, you know what, Kathy, I'm al write a song called Elevated Eyes and young lady wrote me text me and she said, older, you need to do something with that Elevated Eyes. So that would be one that I would really and it would kind of be apropos what's what's happening with the me too?
Speaker 2: Thing?
Speaker 5: Because this song tells about her. You really you can see you, but you don't trespass.
Speaker 4: You just let know she.
Speaker 5: Looks nice and peripheral. Yeah, uh huh, but you know you have to watch that. But that one I told her, I'm gonna still work that out and find somebody to do it because the lyrics and the track, you know, it's tight.
Speaker 6: Now's the time it is.
Speaker 1: Let's see my last question, how come you didn't sing more, you know what, prominently on the lead.
Speaker 5: Of course, your on point, because I was the lead singer at when we were the Distance.
Speaker 4: Okay, because Billy my valet.
Speaker 5: He went on the internet and found Open your Heart and what else did it? It was another song that I did. But my thinking was when we got to Motown and you know, because it wasn't like, uh, I couldn't sing lead on it. I just say, man, I don't ever care who sing as long as we make this money.
Speaker 4: And it wasn't like.
Speaker 5: Wait, wait, bro, you're getting paid more because she sang lead. Oh hell no, I want to sing lead. So it wasn't that kind of thing.
Speaker 6: Oh, everybody got the same I was wonder about that.
Speaker 4: No excuse me, No, no, everybody got the same pay.
Speaker 6: But then that's weird because since you were found a member, and then so Melvin. But regardless it's a new guy whatever, we all the same.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's where it was at. Yeah, and uh but Tom Bell. We did an album with Tom Bell and he recorded us and I was just hormming something and Tom stopped. He said, you the one I should be recording. I said, really, why you said that? He said, I like your voice. I said, oops, too late. You know, we had you know, finished recording. But my attitude has always been like, hey man, I just wanted us to make it. And you know the Mico didn't get hung up on the thing.
Speaker 4: Well I got the sing lead. I'm the group leader. I found this shit stuff. You know. No, it wasn't that with me.
Speaker 5: Let us all make money and be successful and uh that's it, you know. But uh, I guess I never did really make any real bones about it.
Speaker 6: Just did you make What about the writing process because you said earlier on you wrote some songs for the Temptations, But did it continue on because it sounds like okay.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah on our latest album, Temptations all the time I did along with two other guys waiting on you.
Speaker 4: Elevate Eyes, treata like the Lady.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, so no, I love writing when I can, you know, give a chance to do it. So yeah, that's my other thing of doing it.
Speaker 1: Well, I know you have another three hundred years in you, so.
Speaker 4: I love you U. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm all. Like I said, I'm gonna ride the health the horse. When I get off the horse, it'll be ball.
Speaker 1: And that's how we have to end it. Thank you very much for coming on Quest Love Supreme.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you you have love Boss Bill, Sugar Steve.
Speaker 1: What's our particular and unpaid Bill? This is Quest Love of Quest Love Supreme. We will see you on the next go around.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Course Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. This classic episode was produced by.
Speaker 2: The Teen at Pandora.
Speaker 1: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.