Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. This classic episode was produced by the team at Pandora.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: This is a treat one of my favorite personalities in the world of media. You know, there's always that person that you credit for putting you on to something. I'll just say that. You know Donnie Simpson from his days on radio as the host of Video Soul or Band te Band in the eighties and nineties. He's always been a hero, always been such a music fan. This was the first night you were meeting him. He couldn't have been cooler. One of the nicest, most genuine music lovers ever. This is August second, twenty seventeen. Great Donnie Simpson, you're getting that professional voice. Quest Love Supreme Classic Donnie Simpson. Let's go here we go.
Speaker 3: Supremo some some Supremo Rod called Suprema some some Supreme roll called Suprema some some Supremo Rod called some Prema some some Supremo Rod.
Speaker 1: Cool quest Yeah, Yeah, I got Soul, Yeah, Donnie Simpson, Cool Yeah, Life Cools, Supremo Son, some Supremo roll called Suprema something something Supremo roll call. My name is Fante. Yeah, rocking your world. Yeah, when my head gets dry. Yeah, I use Donnie's supercurl rorem some some Supremo roll come Suprema some Supremo rod called.
Speaker 4: My name is Sugar Yeah like Sugar Ray.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's great to be here with a real DJ.
Speaker 1: Supreme Son so Supreme Rod. I'm paid Bill. Yeah, I ain't got no problem. Shout out to North Korea and Dennis rodmin.
Speaker 5: Brave Son Son suprameer Rod Supreme Son Son Supremo road Bill is here. Yeah, not far from Mars. Yeah, shot for the Moon. Yeah, still among the stars.
Speaker 2: Roll came.
Speaker 3: Some Supremo roll call Supreme some some Subprameo.
Speaker 6: Roll and damn it, I'm hip. Yeah, Simpson in the place.
Speaker 2: Some Supremo rod come, name is Donnie. Yeah, they called me green Eyes.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If I could finish this rap, yeah that would be a surprise.
Speaker 1: Pray Sopra roll so pray.
Speaker 3: Up prame roll Supramo uprame a roll call Supramo Son Son Suppreme roll.
Speaker 1: Keeop out. So you audible with telling you you're gonna say Donnie Simpsons. Yeah right, I'm not I said gets written down anyway. Anyway, Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome to another episode of Quest Love. I'm your host chluss Love.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: We have teams Supreme with us. Uh like you in the place, Quest Love in the house. Yeah, Quest Love is always in the house. Sugar Steve is here. We got fun Tikeolo Uh unpaid Bill? Yeah, Hey, how you doing. I'm happy to be back. You've been so quiet that last view. I'm so glad that you hear. And Boss Bill's here as well. I will say that every culture needs a pioneer, and our guest today is beyond pioneer. For thirty years his morning show and WPGC the Doninie Simpson Morning Shows trail Blazed and dumb wonders for the culture of soul and R and B, and I guess you could say that he's attained god status in the eyes of all of us in this room for seventeen years as the host of Oh La La Video Soul Worn BT, which practically gave the world its first view of artists like Whitney Houston and Usher. You've done in depth conversations with greats like Aretha Franklin, anybody from the Purple Camp that I've not seen on any other networks.
Speaker 4: Jesse Johnson.
Speaker 1: Yes, Jesse. I mean the time, the list goes on and on, and he's just known for his his his grace, his his his knowledge of music. I mean, do you imagine that once upon a time there were hosts of radio shows and video shows that actually had knowledge of the music. And yeah, that's who would have thought. That's that's novel that's sadly missed right now. But more than anything, this this episode will probably be a masterclass on how to host such so can use Yeah, it would sound like an amateur my favorite comen. Please welcome Dottie Simpson to us.
Speaker 2: Thank you, well, thank you, thank you, quest love appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Bro, Yo, he's said my name. Of all the episodes, this is probably the one that I will be the most nervous because I mean, I we all grew up with his voice and always imagine the day that we have an opportunity. I never thought that my first time sitting with Donnie Simpson would be on your show, not this show.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm honored to be here, man, I really am. This is awesome. Man, I'm a big fan of yours.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 1: I yeah, I know it sounds like false honesty. Whenever I say like I can't believe you know, am alive, but I mean that's really.
Speaker 2: Oh for real, man, mad respect for you, Thank you, thank you, thank you, And a lot of people in this room, not all of them, but a lot of them.
Speaker 7: Sorry that he shut you down.
Speaker 1: So you're you're actually I know that we're lucky to have you today because you are going to induct uh your friends tonight.
Speaker 2: Well I'm not actually inducting them. I'm just there, yeah, just there and support.
Speaker 1: It's amazing. I know that no one is a bigger fan of Jimmy dam and Terry Lewis and the time family been.
Speaker 2: No doubt you are.
Speaker 1: Even to this day. I still watch your interviews on YouTube with those guys.
Speaker 2: And yeah, man, and those are my toughest interviews too. It's funny because yeah, because they were we were boys. You know, we're so close. So my toughest interview you mentioned Sugar Ray Lennard, Sugar Ray Leonard, Jimmy jam and Terry Lewis and Smoky like those really boys always the toughest interviews because you know, you know them so well, and then all of a sudden you're in this formal setting. You know you got to ask questions and they're like, well, you're asking me that, you know that, but it's just weird to me.
Speaker 1: It's like those are your especially when you when you did the I think the Pandemonium interview back in like nineteen ninety one. Yeah, time, like that was the first time where you know, normally there's there's a cool demeanor about you, but then like I saw you just as the billy pressing to their beatles, like the Times beatles. Wow, where it was just like, oh wow, Donnie Simpsons just like he's one of the one of the crew, and that he was on the records.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, that's right, the Pandemonium novel. Wow, that's right. Well, you know, that's very flattering to say that. And I remember when they got their starr in the Hollywood Walk of Fame, they said, man, all day long, all we kept saying was just one person missing, man, you know, and that just you know what an honor. I mean, it wasn't me, it was Billy Preston, but no, but you know, we are we're just friends like that. That that day that we recorded that show, before we recorded it, Jimmy and Terry set me down at the board in the studio and they're playing the album for me, the Pandemonium Nolvel. So I'm sitting there and the intro comes on, and you know, I do the intro. I'm doing this intro and I'm sitting there like, how wait what wait? That's my voice? How did I can figure it out? How they got me to do this introduction that I didn't record. And what happened was that they had lifted it from like five or six years prior to that. I went to present them, just to introduce them at the Minneapolis Black Musicians Award shown and they lifted it from that and used it as the intro for the album. Man, I just it was just what an honor to open up, to open up for the time.
Speaker 1: That's right, because they briefly when Mars did Fishnets. I guess they briefly reunited as the time for that. Were you actually introducing them back in eighty seven as a full unit or were they just going on to get an award.
Speaker 2: Wow in eighty Yeah that was a full unit then, Yeah, that was the time.
Speaker 1: That was everybody that was before Fishnet.
Speaker 2: As a matter of fact, Fishnet was a part of that show that you're talking about. I think that I think we introduced that then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, man.
Speaker 5: There's a video on YouTube of you and the studio with them and they were playing the track for Fishnet.
Speaker 2: Oh is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they were, they were in the studio together. That was a few years earlier though. The song was so hot.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, So you know you're those that know you well know of your love affair with music. But yeah, where did it start? Where did your what was your childhood into as far as your relationship with music.
Speaker 2: I was always around music from the time I was twelve. Well, actually, I'll say even earlier than that. I remember when we got our first record player and the first record we got was The Drifters Save the Last Dance for Me, and we would play that thing over. It is the only record we had, so we played it over and over. Forty five yep, forty five.
Speaker 1: And I think was the household.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was six kids. I had a five boys, one girl, my mom and dad and so it was eight in a little tiny house.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 2: We had two bedroom house. Mom and dad had a bedroom, my sister had a bedroom. Boys upstairs. It was like army bearcks up there lined up. Man, I'm telling you, but uh, you know, but my mother decided to open a record shop when she when I was twelve, and uh so I worked in that record shop from the time I was twelve. So I was always around music, you know. I knew when music came out, the day it came out, you know, everything. And then we used to have a little contest between each other. We go, all right, so what do you think this is going to do? I said, you know, I think it'll go number one R and B, top ten pop, you know. And I would be right all the time. Man, I would always be able to predict them, you know. And I this other thing. And I don't know if it's like I don't maybe it's not psychic. Maybe it's just from experience of knowing people. But I could see you coming across the street to the record shop, and I go to the shelf and pull off, say three songs, and guaranteed that they would ask for those three, you know, and not two of the three, but all three.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I would do it all the time.
Speaker 6: How your record with that?
Speaker 1: It was really good?
Speaker 2: Really good? Really?
Speaker 1: So what city is this?
Speaker 2: Detroit? So I grew up under Motown. Wow, So don't. I'm not. He can't even give Mama's Record Shop credit for that. That's going back to the Motown Review, you know, living there in Detroit under.
Speaker 1: Motown with the Temps.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 2: You know, I remember as a kid man, I used to watch every Cadillac that went by, hoping you're gonna see David Ruffman. One of the Tempts. Are some smoky or or one of their cousins would have just been just as cool anybody man related. Sitting at the Motown Review, my wife Pam is here with me, and she can she remembers that so well. We would go down there, man, I mean five shows a day with the Temptations, four Top Supremes, Bobby Taylor to Vancouver's Junior Walk, Smokey Robinson. It was just endless, you know. So to grow up under that, how could you not have a love for music, man, you know? And so I was just always in that. When I was fifteen, this radio station there, WJLB, had a group that called the WJLB sol Teen Reporters. One student from each public school came in once a week recorded a little sixty seconds spiel about what was going on at their school. We beat Pershing High last week fifty four to fifty two cap and gown measurements of Friday, the Lovers of the Week ad and the number one song is you know that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: So I thought it was the upfront. I was like, wow.
Speaker 2: So they had asked me to do that for my school, and so I kind of wasn't interested at first, but finally my mother one day had a live broadcast with a local DJ who came out and did his show from there from the record store, and man, I went into that boot and saw him doing his thing, man, and he's sitting here patting his foot to the music, man and grooving. And I was like, man, I could do that.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: And that was the very day I fell in love with radio that I said, I'm gonna do that, And so I went and joined the reporters, and in the I got so popular from these little sixty second things that ran once maybe twice a day, that I was more popular than the DJs because I was his kid with a heavy voice, you know. And so they started putting me on on weekends for three hours on Saturday, and that lasted for about two months. They fired a guy who did eight to midnight weeknights and asked me to sit in for him for one week to give them time to find somebody else. I sat there for seven and a half years.
Speaker 6: A teenager with a radio job.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean I couldn't even do my whole show live because I couldn't work past ten thirty, you know, So I used to go in after school. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you've had that golden voice since you were a teenager, since.
Speaker 2: My voice changed between the summer between seventh and eighth grade. And I remember well because I was in the choir. Man, I was the only male first soprano, which I love because I said, I said, with the girls next Timmer, I come back, and I'm this baritone, you know. But yeah, so, I mean, so you know, I was really blessed to have a start like that. Man. It was just it was it was just heaven sent.
Speaker 1: So for you, was it always radio aspirations? Did you have music? Like? Did you want to maybe be a singer or.
Speaker 2: I still want to be a singer, but I don't think I'm gonna make fan will tell you, she tells you two things. He ain't no singer, and he ain't no rocket scientist. No, no, but I mean, you know, I've always felt that anyone who doesn't sing wants to sing or wants to be a musician. As matter of fact, I said, this is my part of my induction speech when I was inducted in the Rhythm and Blues Music Hall of Fame, which was I said, this is just such an honor for me because I've always felt that musicians always the coolest people in the room, respect, questlove. You know, you're definitely offered as advice, I mean, as as proof. Prince appearing at the Oscars. So you got the biggest stars in the movie stars forty fifty million dollars a movie. Prince walked on that stage. Oh never like little girls, you know, musicians man. And I said, you know, for one night, y'all let me in your group, you know, And I appreciate that, just for one night. I could never be I just always wanted to be cool enough to be a musician. I just I just ain't gonna make it.
Speaker 1: So did you have formal training when you finally started to do this radio Because most people they'll go to RTF programs uh in their colleges to learn how to, you know, do upfront and be prepared. We're going to put you to the test on that. Yeah, like so did you was it? Was it a learning curve where you just had to learn on the spot how to do these things?
Speaker 2: Or well, it's you know, I started so young. I mean I did go to school eventually. I mean I was in school or in high school. But I went to college and studied radio and TV also. But I was already doing it. I mean, you know, I mean I was one of the most popular DJs in Detroit and here I am going to college.
Speaker 1: It was like the experience.
Speaker 2: Nothing beats that, and you know that nothing beats doing it, and so you know, I think it was just kind of a natural, God given gift that I had. And uh, you know, they certainly taught me how to develop it, like I learned how to use my diaphragm, you know, those exercises like singers because I remember, yeah, I remember my teacher coming up to me in college one day. He walked up behind me and he said, and I didn't know theresas, So Donnie, how come you always talk like this in the hall Because I'm a brother, that's how we talk in the hall. But he's you know, he taught me that you have to use your diaphragm, that you you know, it's like a backhand in tennis. You got to practice it so much that is second nature, that that is the way you talk, and that you can still be cool and talk from here. You don't have to talk from here to be cool.
Speaker 1: You know. Have you ever interviewed Barry White?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh my god, I love Barry.
Speaker 1: Anybody ever seen interview Barry White will suddenly find themselves trying.
Speaker 2: No, man, I love my little boys too much. I'm to get down.
Speaker 1: There would be okay. So this is whenever whenever we have anyone that has a notable radio experience on the show, we asked them to front, seale or back SLL the song. You have to I'm pretty no, I don't even want to. He'll know hit the song?
Speaker 2: Hit it?
Speaker 1: Okay. Now see now I got to pick this the perfect song with either a short into or long into or middle intro. What should I do?
Speaker 9: I think a long intro, but longs are easy, just so they're easier.
Speaker 2: But no, but what.
Speaker 1: If it's but if it's very white exstasy? Next, that's a one minute a minute that's a woman in six Temptations.
Speaker 2: Papa was rolling Stone to sixteen, so I jock work for me that actually hit that post once? Really to sixteen?
Speaker 1: Like man, So wait a minute. If there is long space in the front, are you expected to feel every last ounce?
Speaker 2: And no, I don't think so. Well. You know that's interesting because I think most radio people feel that you do. But to me, I love music so much that sometimes the music should you talk all over Love's Theme by Barry White and Love and Orchestra.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, some of the music is so beautiful. It's vocal in itself, you know what I mean. It's you know, it has a moment where it's the intro is over, song is started.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, are you ready for your I think so listen. Here we go.
Speaker 2: Oh it's magic buttle two point three. You're listening to Dottie Simpson hanging out with Questlove. We got my boys on the stage. Now, man, these dudes do it right. Let's go get hot in here? Not hot enough north to sway?
Speaker 4: He doesn't.
Speaker 2: He just kind of states a kiss problem.
Speaker 1: So does this also mean that you have to study the song? Yeah? As in you, I mean when you went at the at the at the height of you being immersed inside of your your your radio days. Would you pick a designated day to just study all the songs? Definitely?
Speaker 2: Not, definitely not, No, would never study. It's just knowing it. It's just appreciating it. I know it because I love it.
Speaker 1: I see you know.
Speaker 2: No, I've never studied songs. You thought, Wow, sit there with a stop watch. This is eighteen seconds. You just feel it, you know, you just know, you know, you know where the song is.
Speaker 1: My songs usually have like a four bar eight bar or whatever intro. Okay, all right, I see did you.
Speaker 6: Write it too? It's a rhythm thing because that's what you were just doing. You were writing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go like a musician.
Speaker 1: So insician man, he wanted to make sure heard. So I will say that Detroit is also a very unusual town as far as music culture is concerned, because of their appreciation for other cultures as well. You know, at one point I knew that, uh, I forget that the Jay Gile bands, uh song that that was like number two or on a particular station up there.
Speaker 2: I used to play. It was all kind of stuff about.
Speaker 1: So what was it that made such a black city so open to Gary Knew, the Talking Heads or fail Out or like just because I would look up old playlists from all their radio stations up there, and it was endless. There were no boundaries on what was black music.
Speaker 2: Right. I don't, I can't. I wish I could tell you why we are that way, but I was always that way, man, love, you know, and I feel like this, you know, for radio program directors or programmers that you know, radio people feel that people's ears are a lot narrower than they are. You know, people like different things, man, and you know, I mean growing up in Detroit, I mean I played I played all that stuff on the radio, man, without doubt. The biggest moment in my radio career was breaking Benny and the Jets by Elton John. I've been sitting around with my boy, man, he's turning me on to Elton, right. And so I kept this went on for a week, man. I said, Man, I love this song Benny and the Jets, Man, but I was scared to play it because you know, black folks didn't really know it Elton, you know. And so finally I said, man, Claude, I'm playing this song. And I played it. Man, I played it twice that night, and I played it the second time because the phone was jumping off the hook from the first time. I'd never seen anything like it before or since.
Speaker 1: It was so instant.
Speaker 2: The next morning, the morning DJ calls me at home, wakes me up at seven thirty, Donnie, what is this song you played last night? Jitny and the Nets or something? Man, you got to bring that down here. We got to play it so fast that in two days Elton was on the phone really from London called wanted to know what's going on in here. Benny in the Jets is breaking black in Detroit.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: He comes to Detroit four or five months later to present me with a gold record for I mean, and this is at the height of his career. Man, this is you know, man, that just turned me out. Man, it was just it was amazing. Man, It was just an amazing moment. And always use it, especially now when I tell that story. It's important because it saddens me that there are young people in radio now with good ears that can't express themselves musically. You know, that's sad to me. Man. You should be able to have a moment like that to come in I mean, DJ I'm supposed to be turning you on the music.
Speaker 6: So is it? Is it understood?
Speaker 9: Then then whatever radio station you go to that you have that some kind of freedom in that way where you can play what you.
Speaker 2: You can take out in that way.
Speaker 9: Okay, play whatever, absolutely.
Speaker 6: Cause that's amazing because.
Speaker 1: There's program director that was ringing the emergency line, like I'm certain every radio station has that the red phone or whatever they do.
Speaker 2: Man, bro, you can get me starting.
Speaker 1: Are you playing Princess dirty?
Speaker 2: Like I'm just saying, like they don't they know not to bother me with that. I mean, I just you know, and I don't mean that to sound vain. I think that I just you know, they know that that's the only way I can work. I'm not going to do this if you're going to tell me how to do me, I can only do me and if it works. I told in a negotiation for this return of mine, I said, look, it got caught up in a while, and I just finally said, look, let's make it real simple. I do what I do. If it doesn't work, you tell me I take my records and go home. You don't have to bout the rest of the contract. Nothing I'm just gone, all right, Oh, I mean, you know, I just I have to have that kind of freedom. Man. You know, I'm a look out the window kind of guy. Man, how does the day feel?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Because it's a spirit that connects us all man. A computer can't do that. You can't tell me that this song works today, this day feels a certain way. I used to get it when I did the Morning show Man once an hour, I would get out and walk around the building just to smell it. I need to smell the day, you know. And I know it may sound strange to people, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you.
Speaker 2: Got to have that to me, you know. And as far as like calling jocks, you know, I programmed wk YS in Washington for twelve years. I mean, and it was you talk about a meteoric rise. I mean, and I didn't even I kind of bumped into it. I wasn't trying to program. I never wanted to program. I just wanted to be a jock. But station was in sixteenth place. We were losing so badly, and they said, what's wrong with the station? I told him what I felt about it. I said, well will you do that? Wow? Yeah, okay, I mean I felt like I can at least do better than sixteenth. Man, we went from sixteenth to number one and nine months, you know, and it was just with feel you know. I you know, I don't have anything against research. Research is cool as long as you use it. Don't let it use you. You know, It's just another tool if you want to use it. But I remember this programmer coming to me once had done this big research project, pade like sixty five grand to research all these songs, and he came to me and he said, Man, can do you know what the number one song tested for us was? I said, Marvin Gay, let's get it on. How did you know that? I was like, I'm a brother, I live. This dog ain't on safari, you know. So, But you know, when I was programming, I wanted to just bring this up to because it's you know, and I certainly don't mean to come off like I'm like chanstising programmers, but you know, when I programmed Man Hotline hot you would it would never ring. I never once called one of my jocks during the middle of his show to tell him something was that was bad. Hell, I know you know what, you know what you did?
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 2: You know, it's bad more than I do. Why would I call you at that moment sacrifice the last two hours of your show for the first two that just and then bigger than that is that What happens is that then you start talking to me because you're afraid of me. You're afraid of that phone ringing. I don't want you talking to me. I ain't got nothing to do with this. Talk to the audience. Man, This is about y'all, you know, And I gave my jocks freedom, you know. I just I'm old school like that. Man, bring your records, man, do your thing, you know, just express. You'll be amazed at the performance you get from people when you entrust them, when you let them do what they do, when their name is on it instead of just them representing you.
Speaker 1: It's like you hired them for a reason.
Speaker 2: That's what you hired them for.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 9: Let them go, man, Because this way of thought is not very prevalent right now.
Speaker 6: Have you ever I mean, I know it's another burden, but have you ever considered ownership?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I used to think about it.
Speaker 2: We had looked at it a long time ago, and god, radio stations have gotten so expensive. Then it was just kind of crazy. But you know, I don't know that it's a business that I would be that interested in now. You know, it's uh, you know, the dollars have dried up to a great degree, as you know, I mean with everything that is that advertising based model, radio, television, print, those dollars have gone to the internet, you know. So it's a different day, you know, and radio and TV are lucky most of them are just suffering pay cuts, print shutting their doors, you know. I mean it's a different day. So you know, No, I don't have that level of interest in it now.
Speaker 1: No, speaking of the uh you're breaking Elton John and bending the jets where what would some of the other notable artists that you had a first thing like, I feel like this person's the next one.
Speaker 2: Well, I had a I have a gold record at home that says thank you for being the first to play Whitney Houston.
Speaker 1: You give good. I literally only pulled that out then.
Speaker 2: Oh I thought you knew that.
Speaker 1: No, I was just I was like, oh, I know you gave Whitney Houston. Well, I saw her very when she first came to Video Soul. Yeah, I remember that interview.
Speaker 2: But remember Shade first interview with Shade, her first interview I think, I know in America, if not on television period, was with me, you know, so you know, you know, I certainly don't want to sound like I started all of these careers.
Speaker 1: This is why you're here. This is a masterclass.
Speaker 5: Seriously, there's a lot of artists that we probably wouldn't know about if we hadn't seen them on Video Souls.
Speaker 1: You know, you introducing them to us. So you are a very important part.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's thank you and you're allowed to do, but it's so flat. I had Big Daddy Kane on my radio show yesterday and he was telling me. He says, man, I just want to thank you for the first time I was on Video Soul, man, he said. I was so nervous. Man, I couldn't believe it. But he said, what blew me away was that I came in there, man, and you treated me like all the other artists. You treated me with respect, and I thought it would be just like, you know, all right, we got this rapper in here, let's get the rap thing out of the way, he said, and it was just so different, you know, which blew me away that he thought I would treat him, you know, as I told him on the area yesterday, I said, kine, man, if President Obama walked through this door right now or the janitor, they're going to get the same level of love and respect for me. Believe that.
Speaker 1: You know so.
Speaker 2: But it's always fascinating to me that so many artists come up to you and tell you what you meant to their career.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I remember going to see New Audition one night. This is twenty five years ago. No, not new Edition, I'm sorry, new kids, not that new kids on the block. Boys, men, I'm right. So I go backstage and they go, oh my god, Donnie's here, look at it. What's the date April whatever? What of nineteen eighty seven? They all knew the date they came on Video Soul. It was that significant to me, you know, oh.
Speaker 1: Married, don't you weak? Acapella remember better than me? Wait only okay, because I was in the Motown Philly video. So even me and my parents were like sitting there with the VCR opened, like like the video is going to come on because this is the first time that I'm seeing the video, Like yeah, no, that was And we all went to high school together. So that that was like a moment like someone from my homeroom classes. That still is two thousand thank you, you know, is legit like on on Video Soul.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it meant something to sit on that couch, you know, and uh, that's that's that's flattering.
Speaker 1: That's really an awesome thing. How so, well, I want to ease in two video So how did how are you convinced uh to Well, you didn't totally abandon radio when you did Video Soul. Oh no, you did both. But did you figure that Okay, it's time for the black version of MTV too, uh to come to fruition and I want to be a part of history.
Speaker 2: Now, well, this has not happened. I mean, it wasn't my creation. I got a call from Bob Johnson asking me, or actually was Jeff Lee, his right hand man, said we're starting this show called Video Soul, and we liked for you to host it. At the time, I was still doing radio, of course, but I was also I just started doing TV locally in DC. For the last two years, I was a sports anchor George Michael. Yeah, I was George Michael's backup for George Michael Sports Machine. So you know, so yeah it was cool. I mean, I enjoyed that, but I like music, you know, sports is not what I do. So anyway, thank you, go ahead.
Speaker 4: So sports, that's actually how how I know you.
Speaker 10: I went to school down in College Park, Maryland in late eighties, early nineties. So I was watching the George Michael sports Oh.
Speaker 2: Wow, cool dream machine sports sports machine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sports legend Donnie Simpson. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So so anyway, they said, wanted me to do this show, and I'll be very honest with you, my first answer was no, you know, no, I didn't want to do it. I've always been very careful about what I get involved in because all I have to sell is image, you know, so I'm very protective of that. You know, it's got to be right, and b Et in its infancy wasn't a pretty baby right, exactly exactly right. So I didn't want to do that, but I thought about it for two days and then finally the bottom line became this, that this is our first black television network. If you have something to offer it, you have to do that. Period. Let's go. And so I'm glad I did. Man. I mean, it was uh, you know, it was amazing when we first started, we were in one and a half million homes. When I left, that number was like forty five five million, you know, now it's like a hundred or something. I mean, it's just crazy, you know. And uh, you know it put me in black houses all across this country.
Speaker 5: You know about your radio career.
Speaker 2: I just yeah, most people around the country don't get shocked when they find out how do radio? Yeah, but uh yeah, but you know, it was really something special, man, it was uh you know. Uh, Terry Lewis we were talking about it recently and he was saying how that I was just telling him about the love and respect that I get and how it just blows me away, you know every time. And uh, he says, it's because you mean something to people. You know that you represented a time when music was fun. You know, the videos were fun and all of that. You know, it was clean fun, you know, and you represent that time. It's like, well, I've never thought about it like that, but you know, it's uh. I remember one night VH one did a series called Black in the eighties and then they had interviewed me for it, and so they told me it's coming on. So I watched it that night. It was an hour long and the first fifteen minutes they did Brian Gumble, the first Black to host the early morning national television show. Then they did or Senil Hall, first Black to host a late night talk show. Then they did Cosby The Cosby Show and first black TV show where the mother and dad were doctor and the lawyer not a plumber and a janitor or something, you know, And then they did Donnie Simpson and Video Soul and man, I'll never forget it. When the show ended, all I could think was, well, how the hell am I supposed to sleep tonight? Seriously, because I'd never had it put in perspective like that, you know what I mean. It's like, uh oh, a line that I've always loved from Elton John rocket Love. Uh not rocket Love, that's Stevie Wonder rocket ma man right when he says in all the Science, I don't understand it's just my job five days a week, you know. I mean, you think this is a rocketman and astronage. It's like it's so glorious. You know, your DJ is a glorious you know, man, I don't care who you are or what you do. It's just what you do.
Speaker 1: So now at the time, you weren't thinking that you're doing a historical service for mankind, not that there's a bunch of eleven year olds watching you and recording this because we will record the show and watch it over and over and over again.
Speaker 2: Crazy to me, No, I never thought. I mean, I've had three or four the ESPN anchors come up to me and tell me you're the reason I do TV because I used to watch you. It's like that, man, that's mind blowing to me. Of course, I'm telling you.
Speaker 1: Man, Between you and probably probably the only person that could challenge or even match your cool might be Don Cornelius, like you two are parents. It was yeah cool, And that's the thing. You always pervade, this this level of intelligence and cool and and knowledge, no matter who the artist was. Like if I were interviewing like Wild Animal era Vanity, I would have been sweating profusely. But you gave her the same level of respect that you would have done for Sergio Mendez or or Side Garrett or Quincy Jones or I'll be short, like you know what I mean. Like that to me was was even more amazing. Like it's it's one thing to interview someone that you love and that you're you know that you have history of, Like I'm sure that you know if a Motown luminary comes on the show, then you know, you're just giddy about it. But how do you prepare yourself for an artist that you might not know of? Like say about first year Karen White comes on the show and you might not know that much about her, but.
Speaker 2: I ask her, ah, like you did. Seriously, that's how I prepare.
Speaker 1: There's her for like ten years.
Speaker 2: But there there's no preparation. I mean, every artist I've ever had on Video Soul, they would give me a bile and a list of questions and I would take a car right sit down on the side. Seriously, I would never look at it because I felt that there's nothing wrong with me not knowing you grew up in Tuscaloosa that I can ask you that. I mean, this is an interview, This is getting to know you. What's wrong with that being the first so where you grow up at? You know, Oh, I grew up in Philip oh Man. What happened to the Sixers the other night? That's conversation, you know, that's just you know, I mean, if it's somebody I knew I'm telling you this may be the depth of the preparation. I'd go, all right, Luther's on this show today. I'm riding in and I go, what is it you want to know about Luther Man? Why you why does your weight keep going up and down? I said, all right, that's what I'm going to ask him.
Speaker 5: And you know it's but you could ask him that though I don't think nobody else could get away with.
Speaker 2: But you know, and and that is a blessing for you to say that you get it, that it's just like h on with all due respect, I'm going back to Johnny Carson the Tonight Show that when the conversation with Johnny was always different from any other host I ever saw because they had so much respect for him. He could ask things that others might not because they just lose. But Jimmy's like that too, because he's so cool. You know, when you're cool with people like that man and they feel you and it's real, it's not staged questions. And you know, when you've read the bio, the chances are I'm going to ask you a question based on that bio. It's something that you've been asking a thousand times already before.
Speaker 1: What was your first interview on Do you remember your very first interview on the show? Who was your.
Speaker 2: First My very first interview is with the Fat Boys? Eighty three or eighty four? God, so like that, yeah, man, the Fat Boys. Second one was with Rick James.
Speaker 1: Bitch, Okay, what was that like? Okay, we have yet to have a potential off the chains guests. We're we're kind of entertaining that, like all of our guests are either like super legend or we've worshiped them. But okay, Rick James a perfect example. If someone has the potential disorder be off the chain, Oh, how do you reel them in? How do you how do you maintain? How do you drive the car and not have them drive the car?
Speaker 2: Wow? That's wow, what a great question.
Speaker 1: Because you still have to steer and navigate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you still gotta steer and right.
Speaker 1: And it was the eighties, so we know that Rick might have been on that, you know, so you don't know where the conversation was going to go.
Speaker 2: But I've never had that problem. I never had anybody, had anybody go rogue on me, just you know, go crazy, go just it just never happened, but a little.
Speaker 6: Left you've had some people maybe go a little because even.
Speaker 2: Every everybody left, you know, has.
Speaker 1: An interview going you're a little weird, and you guys have to do a lot of editing magic.
Speaker 2: Well back in the day for like what was like most of the years on Video Soul, we were live, so back in editing it was live until the last three or four years. Really, yeah, I never do that. Yeah, yeah, we used to do it live, man risky and well yeah, but today that's the way I liked it because that made it like radio for me. I hate tape. I hate recording. It's just it's a different pressure that you perform better when it's live. For me, you know, when it's live and I know you don't get to back it up and then it's real. Because for me, when you backing it up and editing, then you're trying to make it perfect. And like I never ever ever watched Video Soul. I don't listen to tapes of my radio show because I feel like I'm trying to make myself perfect and I'll never be that. All I need to be is me, that's it, That's all I need to be.
Speaker 6: Donnie Simpson. Does that mean a programmer has never pulled you in an air check meeting?
Speaker 2: And it said, oh lord, no, since.
Speaker 9: You were a teenager, there's never been a boss. Because I mean most I know people know this, but like in radio, usually your boss will at some point at the end of the week pull you in a room and say, let's listen to what you did here.
Speaker 2: You know what. For one period, when I first moved to DC in seventy seven, we did have a program director and oh my goodness, it was crazy for me. For a year and a half I did live under that. I've forgotten that because it was such you know, that's out of how many years got I started in sixty nine, so you know, one and a half years of slavery. But you know where he would walk in with a stopwatch and go that was seventeen seconds. You had to come in under fifteen seconds on anything you said, you know, I mean, it was just so finally I was gone. I was gone. I said I can't do this, I'm leaving. And I had a job offer in l A and uh so they offered me the music directorship to keep me, so I stayed and then I worked under this music director. My music director was he's a brother, but he had so much or let me be careful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, we get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we need Muller to investigate this. But uh. He we would have our record meetings or every week, you know, the music meetings, and he'd go around the room. I was the music director under him. He was the program director. And I had two assistants, and both of them were political appointees. This is DC. One was David Brinkley's son, the other was this senator's son. He go around the room. He play I'll never forget this when he played Beast of Burden, Rolling Stones, you know, so he goes, so, John, what do you think of that? Oh? I love it.
Speaker 1: I think it's great.
Speaker 2: Dave, what do you?
Speaker 1: I think it is great? I think Donnie, what do you think?
Speaker 2: I think it's great? We can't that ship you? Right? You know? I mean, I love it, but it's got the fit brothers.
Speaker 1: Can I assume that that was the single after Miss You? Were you guys playing Miss You?
Speaker 2: No? That was that was before Miss You, because I Miss You came after, as I recall it, because I played Miss You as a program director. So I wasn't programming then yeah, we I'm pretty sure we could. We could check the records. I always uh yeah, I think that's the way it went because I played Miss You that works, Beast Burden does not. Little River Band reminiscing. We can't play that, man, you know. Yeah, it's it's I love this.
Speaker 9: I love because you also got to consider the area, right, like, it's not just the people.
Speaker 2: In the area in d C and go go baby. You know it was hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's my next question. Okay, out as the the top taste maker of DC that had the world's ears, how is such a beautiful subculture like go go? How's it met so many obstacles? And I feel like the ripple never gets to expand West West more West than West Virginia or Ohio, West Virginia or Okay, it's like, let's let's just go back to Virginia. Yeah, but it's you've lived in d C for decades. I assume you still do.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: How is black people's jam bam music not resonated to the rest of the United States of America at least?
Speaker 2: I have no idea why that is. It's like, I mean, we thought it was going to break out when we've we've had yet.
Speaker 1: Well and good that movie came out.
Speaker 2: Chuck was the first Bust and Loose was the first number one go Go song in the country. I mean it was number one song in the country. That was Go Go and uh. And then the second was the Butt by EU with the help of the movie School Days. You know. So we're thinking, man, this great breakout now, and it never did. Those are the only two to this day that ever went number one in the country. You know, you had people like Grace Jones, some people used it. Elements, yeah, used elements, yeah, but it just never broke out for some reason. And I don't know, you know, I don't know why Western world never caught on to drop the bomb on the White Boy.
Speaker 7: You know, I just don't get We see no idea that.
Speaker 2: Shocker.
Speaker 1: So on the other side of that coin, though worrying about someone going rogue, there could be the other side of that coin of having artists that are simn reclusive. Now, as as I as obsessed as I am with all of David Rich's work as a as a writer and read both of those Aretha books, I know that she was a frequent guest of yours on the show and you go into her house and her plan for you and she, you know, she was rather loquacious. She talked a lot, which if she didn't know you, you could tell that, you know, there was a distance there. So how did you what was a hard interview for you, like for an artist that wasn't that talkative or did you ever interview Prints in your career?
Speaker 2: Yeah? On radio okay with Video Soul. This was about seven years ago. I was like, oh no, no, no, no, no, no no, because you remember Prince didn't do any I was going he had done that one interview I think it ran on MTV and he interviewed himself.
Speaker 1: Actually, I was.
Speaker 11: Watching a clip on YouTube today of you introducing that on Video Soul?
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so no, And it was Prince and Michael were the only two artists that I always wanted to interview, you know, but never got to have them on Video Soul, you know.
Speaker 1: Even though we ever get them off of Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, being Prince were friends and you know, as a matter of fact, the night you referenced earlier when we went to uh flight time for the Pandemonium album for the time, uh we party that us at Paisley Park that night. You'll love this story.
Speaker 1: This is so funny. Yes, we bring the story.
Speaker 2: That Wednesday, we're recording video soul. I had David Bowie on the show, and who was so cool, and so after the show we were talking and I was telling him I was going to Minneapolis that Friday to do this time thing and he says, I'm playing Minneapolis Friday. You got to come to the show. I said, all right, cool, I'm there, So get my buddy to go with me, Sugar, Ray Letter. So we rode to Minneapolis and we do the thing. Yeah, well that's me and Ray hung every day. Man, my boy still to this day. But so anyway, we get to the show that Friday night and they had set like eight seats at the sound board, right, So we go to sit in our seats and so I'm going by and I bump this lady in front of me and I excuse me, and Prince turns around. So what he says, Hey, Donnie Man, so sorry about that. And so then he turns back around a minute or two later he says, I'm having a party at Paisley Park tonight. You and Ray ought to come, I said, all right, cool. So we go to the party. Man, you know, it's like twelve people there.
Speaker 1: Man, he always parties with just yeah, six people.
Speaker 2: I know. It's me, Prince, Ray, David Boy and his band members, Cat who was dancing with him, and my boy Jeff Newman, who produced my show video Soul. And I mean that was like, that was it, you know. But we had the greatest time. Man. It was just the coolest night. And he played the Black Album that night. Wow. Okay. And now now this is so years later he tells me, because you know that album was notorious because it wasn't released. And so years later Prince told me, he said, you know you're the reason I didn't release the Black Album.
Speaker 1: What And I said why? What do you mean? He says, you remember what you said that night at Paisley Park. I said what he said?
Speaker 2: You said, this is such a groove and I was about so much more?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: And I thought, wow, is he serious or.
Speaker 1: Is he just.
Speaker 2: Seriously? That was really deep to me that because that is what I said. It's like, man, this is such a groove, you know. But but what Prince needed to know is that you could be about that much more but I can't hear it. I don't hear lyrics, I hear groove, I hear vibe, I hear feel. You know, I know where it is. But man, it could be thirty years later and I'd be like, damn, that's what they were talking about. You know, too close.
Speaker 1: He was, see the thing is. It's like the thing is. I know, I know that you know a lot of a lot of his earlier Nelson George reviews of his post Rise post nineteen ninety nine Rise kind of got under his skin and that he didn't want to be that philosophical and he just wanted to let y'all know that he was still down. And I you know, that was his statement of letting y'all know, like, Yo, I'm still down and this is me. But and you validated you're still down because that's such a groove. But maybe there's that itch in his soul that's just like say the deep statement and you're right right and we're stuck with love Sexy, Sexy.
Speaker 2: I got to tell you this is going back to something you said earlier. But it's so cool that because Jimmy and Terry, my boys and uh my mom introduced me to the time. That's who told me about the time. How well I was in d C. Mom still at a record shop in Detroit. You talk about that diversity. Simpson's Record Shop still there years? Fifty years, man, fifty years. I've never been there.
Speaker 1: No, I always shop. I always shop in uh gross point blank? What's gross point in Michigan? Yeah, a place called Melodies and Memories out there that I do all my digging. But Simpson's Record Shop is still there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, a mom and pop YEP, mom and pop record store. Well, I told you that's where I started my career. Still there, man, Right now.
Speaker 1: Stephen a week tour of America record stores.
Speaker 2: We have more hot dogs and candy than she does records.
Speaker 10: Now, can I interject a question, Donnie? So what's your what's your record collection looking like? These days?
Speaker 1: We said, oh wait, there's a frown over there. Are you in a situation where you had to get rid of stuff and put it in storage?
Speaker 2: With marriage my records?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Record?
Speaker 2: Are you asking what am I into or what.
Speaker 4: Do you still have your physical and stuff like that?
Speaker 2: I still have everything everything, man. I would assume it's worth some money. Man.
Speaker 1: Okay, fire in the house hypothetical. That's a Knockwood situation. Yeah, fire in the house. You're saving five records?
Speaker 2: Okay, top five? What albums?
Speaker 1: What's your forty five is into? Okay? Yes? What out? What five albums are you saving?
Speaker 2: What's going on? Hot buttered Soul?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Who off the wall?
Speaker 1: Wait now before you name the last two, I also mean that I'm certain that you have rare items of your your collection as well. Can we just save his whole collection?
Speaker 4: We'll all we'll all show up at the fire and help him get out.
Speaker 2: Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road. I got one more. That's hard. Well, look at they all fighting, they trying to get out the fire. Oh wow, one left? Oh god, I got Marvin.
Speaker 1: Let's see fires.
Speaker 2: Okay, Stevie's anthology. I'm cheating that.
Speaker 1: Stevie right now.
Speaker 2: Wow one ee Oh my goodness, man, you'll get Sophie's choice.
Speaker 1: You'll stream, you can stream the rest on Pandora. I'm just saying that.
Speaker 2: Fulfilling this first finale.
Speaker 1: That's the Stevie one.
Speaker 2: Joh, I don't know.
Speaker 1: That was a great cruschetto. I mean, what would you say? That's what we're talking about, because out of the genius period. That's my least favorite Stevie record of the genius period. Really, that's the one I know the least songs on. I know it, but I mean besides uh, my Mind, for me, I don't know why I like Music of My Mind out of the five of them because it was the first of the five. But even then I was like one, So I mean it was the first of the five. He was just more raw and that it was the first of the five and it was the or do you I'm coming from it?
Speaker 2: Yes, my first the first record I ever bought was by Stevie wich tight. Really, that's the first purchase I ever made of music.
Speaker 1: The first your your very first record.
Speaker 2: Yeap, because that's before my mother. I didn't buy records for law because you opened the record shop and then I got into radio. But yeah, I paid sixty nine cents for Babe Everything is all Right?
Speaker 1: So forty five were sixty nine cents back in well that came out sixty.
Speaker 2: Sixty, yeah, sixty six or sixty seven.
Speaker 1: Well, I also know that your your your your you as a concert spectator, that you've probably seen some of the best shows of all time. Now in your radio career, you told us about your your childhood career. But what what were the experiences like, because I'm certain that you know you saw the your first Mothership connection shows like stuff we take ranted now, like the ideas of the Jackson's levitating or earth Winding fire levitating and all that stuff. Like, Man, what concert will stay with you forever? As far as like all the Michael concerts?
Speaker 2: Really, I mean, he's just the greatest ever to me, Yeah, without doubt, Michael the fire you know, see Earth Wind and fire Man in their prime, you know, with Maurice, you know, was amazing. The very first concert ever saw in my life James, you know where Cobo Arena in Detroit. This had to be sixty seven Jesus something like that, maybe sixty eight?
Speaker 1: Did he do say it loud?
Speaker 2: So? No, it was before said loud, so six, say it loud. I'm black and I'm proud with sixty eight, you know. And James was my king, right, you know, And I used to tell them that all the time. Man, you my king, I'm your soldier. There ain't nothing I wouldn't do for you. And I meant that, man, because he taught me to be proud of who I was you know my skin color Man said Loud was the most significant song ever for me. There would never be a song more important than that for me, you know. And so James gave me all that that sense of prime you know me. He had assists from Curtis Mayfield and you know, but but it was James. So to see James and concert was just amazing early on because I remember as a kid sitting there at twelve years old. So wow, I was twelve. So that was that was sixty six and all I can think of. I'm not a musician, so I don't know why, but I'm like, damn, this dude's got two drummers. He's gonna wear one out. He knows that. So wow. I saw Sammy Davis Junior. That was a maze to see Sammy. You know, ah wow, oh wow. You'll appreciate this. And I know shifting gears a little bit, but say it people that I've had the opportunity to spend time in the studio with It's okay. Now, of course you know there are a bunch of them. But before the just when I think back on my life in my career, to just blow me away, Marvin Sly Prince. Prince invited me in the studio one night, and that's rare. He didn't, you know, didn't have people in the studio and Stevie, you know, to spend time in the studio with Stevie, Man, it was just, oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: You speak of watching Marvin in the studio. Can you speak of watching Marvin in the studio?
Speaker 2: Actually it's kind of cheating because he wasn't he wasn't doing his album. He was recording the originals. He was doucing the originals. Yeah, did you know that, you know? Yes, yeah, in the bell Yeah. Yeah. But Pam was with me. She was just my girlfriend then she's my wife of forty three years now, but crazy said she only forty four. But I remember Pam saying to me, like, because Marven was trying to show him how to sing the song, and she goes, why didn't he just sing it? Can't nobody do that? Yeah? But you know, Marvin when he invited me to the studio, how cool is this. I'm hanging out with ron Banks of the Dramatics. Wow. Yeah, me and Ronnie. Ronnie was my best friend and that side of the music, of the business of music. Ronnie was my best friend all the dramatics, but Ronnie in particular. And so we're riding down the street and we see Marvin going in his house, going up the driveway, and uh so, Ronnie says, it's Marvin. Man. Let's I'm say hello to him. I'm sorry. Cool. So we stopped and he introduces. He said, yeah, man, I listen.
Speaker 1: To you every night.
Speaker 2: Man. I was like, all right, cool. And he says, you ought to come in to check me out in the studio. I said, all right, I'd love to do that. He says, well, I'm going in tomorrow night. He says, but here, let me give you this phone number. Call me tomorrow morning, man, because I'll get up in the morning and decide to climb Mount Everest and I'll be gone, you know. And he said it in such a way it's like I'm not trying to act like I'm eccentric or something like that. I'm just telling you, dog, you need to check because I do that, right.
Speaker 1: He's doing for that right. He is known for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Man, So now many cats know that Marvin lived in a bread truck for seven months in Hawaii.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, is that right?
Speaker 1: Right? After Dream Lifetime came on, he took his remaining money. That was right before I thought it was before a minute love. I thought, well, yeah, after dream before he did that, before he moved to Belgium and lived in the monastery and did what you call it. This is around eighty Yeah. Yeah, he purchased a bread truck because I add a good room in to it. Oh you mean in our lifetime?
Speaker 8: Yeah, in our lifetime is I'm sorry, in our lifetime.
Speaker 2: If I had to pick one voice, I mean one artist, I mean, Marvin's my favorite vocalist ever.
Speaker 1: I just love Marvin.
Speaker 2: But the most intimate is that the right word. Most emotional moment I ever had with music was with Marvin. One night, I was sitting there listening to a Flying High in a Friendly Sky and I'd heard the song for forty years. I told you, I don't hear lyrics, right, so not really, I mean Flying I in the Friendly Sky, all right. I guess it's commercial.
Speaker 1: For uniting it.
Speaker 2: I don't know, you know, but that night I'm sitting there and I'm listening to it, man, and I heard every word after It had to be thirty years at that point, and man, you know, I'm telling you bruh. I set there and cried for forty minutes, and I mean bawling, man, because I saw Marvin's life and his drug addiction. It spells it out so well. You know, my second oldest brother was classic Vietnam case, you know, came back from the non decorated war hero addicted to heroin, you know, and watched that struggle that he went through and sent my family through. You know, we you know, we all got touched by that thing. And you know, I just sat there, man, It just it just took me to a place where nothing but music could take me to where I went that night, you know. But you know, I go to the place where the danger waits me, self destructions in my hand. You know, in the morning, I'll be all right, but then the pain soon the night comes and the pain, oh man, it just I was out of it running yesterday morning. And that's I always have my iPod on random, yeah, on shuffle, and that song came on. I'm running, cry people, you saw me, You thought I was sweating.
Speaker 1: So can I ask? I mean, it's it's it's no secret that, uh, where we are now in twenty seventeen is a long way from where we were in nineteen sixty seven or sixty nine when you first started. So I know that it has to be bothersome to not necessarily watch the evolution of where black music and black cultures go, the evolution or yeah, just the evolution of it. Does it wear you that very few of the next generation aren't necessarily grabbing onto the baton that the forefathers had and sort of not even dropping it, but just having a disregard or a sheepish shrug like eh, okay, yeah, like is it?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 1: I'm just saying that you seem to be an open book culturally to everything, like you know in sixty nine, you know, say loud, I'm black, I'm proud changed your life. I'm certain that Prince's arrival with or the onslaught of Dirty Mind and what he would later unleash was new and shocking, but you seem to be a board of it and what came after me. Yeah, at what point and you don't have did specifically mention names or whatever, but at what point or at least the year did you were the seeds of indifference there for you? It's sort of man like, I guess, I guess this is what this is what passes for talent, or this is what passes for music, or hm, I guess I'm just getting older.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know, well, first of all, I have to tell you this that I was. I was always hesitanting. I never wanted to make the statement that they don't make music like they used to, okay, because I felt like every generation makes that statement, and they're right, they don't make it like they used to. They never have, they never will. It's always changing. So uh.
Speaker 1: And then I remember when we did.
Speaker 2: The interview with Quincy Jones from his house to back on the Block album.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, you committed him on being open minded, and that always stuck with me, like, I never want to be the old guy. That's like exactly, you know, I hate this music, right and you said that, and I was like, oh, okay, that's what I need to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like Quincy, you know you look, I mean that album, I go to do this interview with Quincy. I mean, there's Ray Charles and Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, Big Daddy Kane, Iced Tea. You know, let me kick my credentials. Young player Bread in South Central LA, home of the body Bag you want to die. We had the colored rag I used to walk in stores in the La down you finch an inch Ak Sprayder whoa man.
Speaker 1: I just wrapped with that. He said, you deserve that.
Speaker 2: But the first time I heard that, me and La Reid had this conversation because I was telling him, said, man, when I first got that album, I was listening to it. I said, it took me forty minutes to get through the first song, and he said me too, because you know, I mean, I know Gula Matari, Quincy Jones. You know, I'm like and then I opened up. The first thing I hear is this gangster rap. But then all through the album was like a lesson to me that you know, you can embrace it all all right. So now they're doing the human beat box, all right, So all right, little let's get l Sarah Sarah Bobby McFerrin and take six no instruments. All right, Well, let's do that. You know, it was just he could make it all work, all right. Now get past that, and I'll have to tell you that in the last five, six, seven years, you know, it's not like there was any particular moment where I felt like, well, where are we where is R and B? But you know, I look at the charts. It's like me and Jimmy and Terry have had this conversation like it's just like it's just hip hop and pop, you know, like we're not there.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I miss those days. Man, when the top ten pop songs, you know, half of them are black, you know, and I mean black black, you know, right, so the soul charge, right, you know, I miss that. It seems like it's just it's changed. And that's very frustrating.
Speaker 1: For me, you know. And and and.
Speaker 2: You're asking me the question, but I ask you the question. Is it Is it that the musicians have bailed on it they're just so nonchalant about it, or is it that the music companies don't I haven't thought that ever giving it voice.
Speaker 1: I have a theory no, because they're there. I can name about six or seven people on the internet that are like killing that might not get a shot because they're not easily digestible. But I also feel as though I don't know where black people are spiritually. Yeah, I don't know where we are spiritually now, as opposed to fifty years ago, where we relied on the church as a training ground for singers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now that's true, you know musicians. I never thought about that.
Speaker 1: I'm going to be This is probably the most explicitly honest I've ever been concerning my spirituality on this show. But just lately, just as far as the political turmoil that we're living in right now, House of Cars season six, Yeah, pretty much, and what's been going on in the past three years as far as justice is concerned, as far as the unarmed killings of black boys and black women. You know, I used to question on Twitter, like, well, you know, where's the spiritual center that says that this is wrong? Like if this were if the injustice that was happening in twenty sixteen, all those unarmed shootings were happening in sixties sixty seven, I would have heard from the church from now. And I'm not saying that. Okay, well, I'm maybe questioning, you know, because it's so blasphemous for black folks that have been raising the church and even have thoughts of atheism or whatever. But you know, just where the idea of Christianity in twenty sixteen it seems very tainted to me then it was when I was a kid growing up in church. And you know your grandmam took to U church. You had to be there for eight hours. So I know that if I'm sort of questioning that, then I know there's a lot of people that are just like me that are moving away from that spirituality. I'm not saying that, oh, well, God doesn't exist if all this injustice is happening, but I know that, you know, our answer was always primarily always hang on to the Lord. The Lord will make it all right. And just you know, and I don't know if black people are there now, like even in our singers, like the hero now is Rihanna who is about is not in the church anti She's more the mall or the you know, like I don't know where, Like her home base is where you think of a reef. It's like, oh that's the church, you know. But the generation that Rihanna's raising isn't spiritual.
Speaker 9: Based like Lauren Hill in a way.
Speaker 2: And it's not just blank. I mean, you look at what the Christian right just allowed to happen in our last election, you know, I mean, if you you can give him a pass for talking about grabbing women, how he wants to grab and and that's Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've just lost spirituality, not even religion, but just spirituality. So I just feel like.
Speaker 8: That that reflects in the music and if that's not there, then we've pretty much lost soul music unless the spirit of it has just gone to the UK where there's still people there.
Speaker 9: And we're also becoming more inclusive as a people as well, and I think that has a lot to do with it too. We weren't, you know, we can know, I mean, not watered down for lack of a better term, but you're talking about the sixties and when music was made then it definitely was not as inclusive as it is in twenty seventeen. And then you have to do with the cultural appropriation and who's making the money off of this soul.
Speaker 11: Mean figure, I just point out a labels not wanting to do more work than you know, if they can just market one artists one certain way instead of having to do it a whole bunch of different ways to target you know, all.
Speaker 1: These different audiences.
Speaker 9: And if they can sing soul and not be black and capture two different audiences, whoa whoa whoa?
Speaker 1: So do you find it, ironically where that some of the more popular soul artists are not looking like the person in the mirror when you're listening to it, like or is that to you? Just I'm sorry you no, no, no, I'm saying that now. If you think of soul music, nine times out of ten, it's sam.
Speaker 2: Right right, right, right, right right right.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: I know, yeah, it's strange. Yeah, it's it's strange, you know. And I mean I don't fault you for that, you know, I mean you got sold. I mean the artists that you just named very soulful, and I love their music, you know, but you know, it reminds me of watching and gosh, should I call this out and American Idol or you know these shows and you know, my wife and my daughter would get so mad at me. Was they finally just stopped watching it with me because I'm sitting Oh god, he's so crazy. It's like, what you know, So you you like, I take you to church this Sunday and find and just on this Sunday and find you three four voices better than anything you've heard on this whole season.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: That's that's how I always.
Speaker 6: Felt about Fantasian Jennifer Hudson.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, there were moments right right.
Speaker 1: The thing that I find problematic about reality shows and the contest is that, you know, I feel like since ninety seven we've negated the idea of subculture or an underground. You know, Aretha Franklin wasn't made in thirteen weeks, yeah, you know, she was made in seventeen years, started at eight, you know, and it took slow development in her father's church, in a subculture, and you know, because of the rush, because music is more as a means of escape for poverty for a lot of black folk. You know, it's more or less probably used now as a means to survive as opposed to express your spirituality. So yeah, i'd find those shows rather dangerous. But that's a whole another episode, of course.
Speaker 5: And those shows aren't really about music. They're about TV, you know, I mean, it's not even about that's true, you know what I'm saying about who's the greatest?
Speaker 1: It's about That's why you get William Hunks.
Speaker 2: Out there right right, try to get you to watch.
Speaker 1: So what would you By.
Speaker 2: The way, I found a CD at my mother's record shop of Aretha singing in her church, in her father's church when she was twelve. How good is that? My mad that in her record shop? Oh my god, I haven't she doesn't have anymore.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, did you guys sell a Reverend C. L. Franklin's cermony?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, man, we're making a pilgrimage because I know somewhere in the storage unit there's a gym in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, oh yeah, we.
Speaker 1: Are going up there.
Speaker 2: She more or less specializes in gospel music now anyway, as a matter of fact, Wow, going back, I remember I used to send Elton gospel music to London because he couldn't get it right right. I'd send the stuff, send him stuff from my mom's record shop. Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, we are coming to Troy.
Speaker 6: Is that where? Okay? So it's right because the record store is still in existence, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's still for right now.
Speaker 1: It's struggling though.
Speaker 2: It's tight because it sounded.
Speaker 6: Like he might have half of the records in DC too.
Speaker 2: No, I got a few.
Speaker 1: We'll come and save the store, don't no worry. We wait. I want to ask one. This is kind of backwards to go back then. But since uh, there's a movie about Detroit coming out in August about the sixty seven riots. I want to ask, how is your mom's story. How was that unscathed from because sixty percent of the city went up in flames during those riots up there, Like, how are you guys able to protect the store and not have it affected.
Speaker 2: Well, we also had Simpson's patrol service that started first. Actually my dad had a rent a cop service, so he actually he protected at the store. But you know, she was protecting anyway. Everybody in the neighborhood knew.
Speaker 1: They knew, okay, oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Man, she was protecting. They weren't you know Mama's They weren't.
Speaker 1: Going to burn the gems.
Speaker 2: No, they weren't gonna burn no, none of that. No, but uh, you know, and Mama's always been cool. Man, Like you go over there. My mother has always say it has the best security force there is.
Speaker 1: The Whinos.
Speaker 2: They don't miss no days, don't. Yeah, you know, they were always so cool with mom. You know, if they need a cigarette, whatever, man, you know, Mom's got them. Man, just whatever. MISSI they called Mississippi. But uh, you know she come to open up, man, they'd be standing in front of her store. They stand there, make sure she's in. Okay, once she's in. They gone across the street because they know it's bad for business, you know, but let somebody come in there looking threatening the enforced Baby, I'm telling.
Speaker 1: You what side of Detroit? Was it on? East side?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Not far east?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah yeah yeah yeah right yeah. You start thinking about your pilgrimage. I was like, I.
Speaker 5: Want to ask you, do you still keep in touch with any of the old crew, like Sherry Carter, Madeline, like all those.
Speaker 2: Everybody you just named?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 6: Is it a Facebook group somewhere that y'all have?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You be going there?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, no, we still talk? Yeah? Yeah, Man, did they ever.
Speaker 6: Talk on it? I was just on the strength of what you just said.
Speaker 9: Is there ever talk of like a full out reunion on B E T with you?
Speaker 2: Everybody?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 1: That that was a very quick.
Speaker 2: Are you no? You know? For me? You know when it was done, it was done, And that's the way I am.
Speaker 1: When I wanted you know, the end.
Speaker 5: When When was when the video sold officially end?
Speaker 2: That's a cool question. No, it was before hold on, it was like nineteen ninety seven, I think I know, because they brought me back to do a special Millennium show. Or the top videos of the century and uh, and so I came back for that. But for the last two years that I did the show, I'm telling you, man, it was on New York Avenue, and every night I would drive up New York Avenue and all I could think was, God, forty minutes more and you could be at the Bay having dinner with Pam. That's all I thought about every night. And that told me that it was time. Yeah, that it was time. I didn't want to do it anymore, you know, And it just changed for me, I think because I started.
Speaker 1: They started before.
Speaker 2: We used to do it in the afternoon at one o'clock and sometimes for a number of years we did at the three, but always live. And then we started recording it at seven o'clock at night, and you know, with me doing my morning radio show, it's just too much. I just it didn't feel the same to me. I didn't.
Speaker 1: I just I don't know.
Speaker 2: And it was fourteen years, you know, and so no, I you know, it was done. It was people always go mad. God, don't you miss it? You know, I don't. I mean, well, I missed the people. The show was fun, but I always think about those last two years, man, where it was just like, no, it was time. Everything has its time, you know. That's the way I feel, man. And we had our run and it was cool. It was great. It served its purpose for that moment and we're done with it.
Speaker 9: But you did miss TV because you came back with Donnie have the dark a little bit?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I decided I wanted to. That was Pam's fault. Really, she wanted you out of the house.
Speaker 1: Quest.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you how she put it though. She said, Donnie, everywhere we go, all you hear is how much they love you and want you to do something else. You know, God has giving you a talent that you should be sharing with people. That's the way she put it. What I heard was get out. It's been five and a half years.
Speaker 1: I brought you out of the house. All those records.
Speaker 2: Because I didn't do anything for five and a half years. Man, what was that like?
Speaker 5: We're going from this going going going having years that chill cool?
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: It was great.
Speaker 2: I tell everybody I started I started a shuttle service.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I would shuttle grand babies back and forth.
Speaker 2: And I was good at it. And in the summer I became a pool boy. You know, for my grandkids. Man. So so I loved it, man, but but I'm happy to be back in the game. You know. It's you know, I love music in particular, and I felt like it was five and a half years of me not knowing what was going on, you know, and I don't and I never experienced that before. I'd never been out of loop since the time I was twelve, you know, I always knew what was happening, you know. So uh, you know, so it's been cool, man, and then and then the love of the people give you two man.
Speaker 1: You know, it's just.
Speaker 2: You know, it was almost like me and Ray Leonard had this conversation because we were talking he took off for five years before he came back and fought Hagler, and he was talking about how it was so much more intense when you came back, because you know, people, you know, they're used to you, and then you're gone for this and you figured that's it. There's no more than all of a sudden, you come back and it's a different level of appreciation, you know, and uh, you know, people just people treat me swell.
Speaker 9: Did you realize that you probably could never do radio anywhere else, but the d m V, like the d m V might not let you. Was there a moment where you realize that you can't or that you.
Speaker 2: Just wouldn't a dog you got you paid them straight up?
Speaker 9: Gangs now him right like you on Ben's chili bowl wall now like you can't leave.
Speaker 2: You are not like Barry are like no, I never felt like that, like they wouldn't let you leave. I mean, you know, I mean because I was always so. You love DC across the country anyway you love it? Oh, I absolutely love d C without doubt.
Speaker 1: Because I'm certain that at one point you could write your own ticket and let me see what it's up in Chicago or go to l A or but.
Speaker 2: For what I mean, you know, I mean you d Yeah, And I love Detroit. I mean Detroit, that's you know, that's home.
Speaker 1: Baby.
Speaker 2: But you know, I mean, I'm already I've been in Chicago. Be Et video Soul put me in every city in this country. I don't need radio to do that. So I've never felt the need to to leave to go. Do you know? That's another reason why I've never felt pressure to do syndication. You know I'm gonna you know, b E T put me in more homes and syndication could ever put me in from radio, you know it could that could never be matched with radio what B E T did for me.
Speaker 1: So that's not that big a.
Speaker 2: Deal to me, you know. And when I've had those conversations and I go, well, I play some of everything, you know, So what happens on this station in Detroit kim all the time? What happens when I play Drake or Tupac or whatever, you know, whatever it is, I might well, you can play them, but you know, and you can talk about them. But will cover the Tupac song with Luthor?
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, you won't.
Speaker 2: Know because you know, for me, it's not like I'm not a bit driven show.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I just I play music. We talk about it, and you know that's what I do. So music is such a big part of what I do. I can't you can't take them, you can't cover It's got to be like a listen line. I mean, you know, you got to listen to the same thing in Chicago and San Francisco that they're listening to in DC. You can't cover my music with something else, right, you know, that's part of that's the biggest part of the experience to me.
Speaker 1: And sometimes it's good to be local, you know. Sometimes I'm telling you, man, this is one of those cases where it to be local is to be better. And you know, I'm old school in that way. I like that.
Speaker 2: But again, I'm very blessed in that TV gave me that thing that most people in radio are seeking through syndication. I had it in TV already.
Speaker 5: One question I had for you was in regards to the culture of BT when you talk about the early years and you were saying that it wasn't pretty.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I remember those early years and I remember it was kind of rough, but it was also really real. And I mean just from watching your show, and I remember there was this other show I think you just come on after the video so the it was a movie show and it was this lady had a segment called Popcorn and pig Feet what Yes, But in this this particular episode was notable because they dissed Graffiti Bridge, like, I mean, straight up smashed Graffiti Bridge, and I was like whole, Like, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, there was that segment. There was another segment where like.
Speaker 5: Dwayne Martin was going through the record store like holding up records like on some like kiss of the Disc kind of shit like Yo, this new Tony Tony Tony. I was crazy, Yo, this is the new tap and this ship is whack like I mean, they were just it was ruthless, you know what I mean? And so and even like on your show, I mean you would give like I mean, god man, was it like vertical hole. I think that was the first place. Seems too much, too busy.
Speaker 1: I remember that interview too. She had had a cold.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so like you can't remember so much, so real and it was no PC, no cut card.
Speaker 1: It just seemed to be.
Speaker 5: I mean, as much as you described those early years as they were kind of rough and kind of ugly, to me, that was the charm because I knew I was getting just uncut.
Speaker 1: But when did that change?
Speaker 5: Do you or do you remember when it kind of shifted and they were like, all right, maybe we gotta polish it up, like we can't just you know, be thissing people like can't.
Speaker 1: Play commercial you know?
Speaker 2: No I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I can't play the rough side of the Mountain commercial every I found.
Speaker 2: Coming up Jesus, But no, I don't know when that when that changed. Man, I don't know, you know, I've I've always felt like you got to keep it real. Like there are times when I'll play a song to this day and I'll go, you know, wow, my boys will kill me, but I'm will say it anyway. Cooling the Gang celebration I played that you are talking about that song on the air, is like, God, I can't take that song anymore, I said, I you know, I mean, I'm happy for Cooling the Gang that this every bar, it's for wedding, any celebration you got over the last thirty five years they played that song, I said, But when I go down to Jamaica and I hear it's a celebration, it's.
Speaker 1: Like you can't escape it.
Speaker 2: Escaping it, you know, give me some of the other cooler stuff. That's but you know, I think the people appreciate that because it's real. And that's just my opinion. You know that if everything is great, then you can no longer be believable because everything's not great. You know, Yeah, you should sometimes say yeah, you know that song is not for me, but I play it. It's popular. People are crazy, you.
Speaker 1: Know, Well, Donnie, uh, we thank you for coming on the show and this has definitely been a master class, and.
Speaker 2: Manks for having me.
Speaker 1: I wanted to have one final question.
Speaker 5: This is from my mother, who like absolutely loves you. She wants to know, I guess I want to know, did you have a smoke before you went on the Earth?
Speaker 2: No, definitely not always waited to laughter the show. How people used to ask me that all the time. And one show I actually came out I addressed that. I said, people always ask me that, and but no I am not high, I said, but when I smile, I squimped my eyes closed. They would try at kind of make up and stuff trying to get my eyes to look more open. And it's just that's just who I am. It's just so I explained all that on the air and I said, so anyway, so no, I do not get high. But let's get our show started. We're gonna play this video and I'm gonna go in the back and smoke a joint. We'll be back in a minute.
Speaker 1: Oh God, I thank you Donnie Simpson for all that you've done for us. And you know, raising, I don't want to put it like nod.
Speaker 5: He pretty much raised like any any left of center like black stuff you got put on like it came through video.
Speaker 1: So yes, thank you, hey man, thank you very much. We appreciate it. One more time.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank y'all.
Speaker 1: I want to be happy to be here. I won't be happy here, Sugar Steve, Boss Bill on me, bron Tegelo. This is Questlove. You've been listening to Quest Love Supreme only on Pandora. We will see you on the next program.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. This classic episode was produced by the team at Pandora. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.