Speaker 1: What up, everyone, It's Eric Andre. Welcome back to Bombing, where I talk with friends, comedians, musicians, and other creative people about their worst moments on stage and just stinking it up in front of a live audience. I hope you're having a good week. I hung out with the hilarious Jay Jorden and we talked about doing stand up in New York City and the most unconventional spaces to perform. He has a very silly story about doing stand up at a lecture hall with a podium being a stage, and more stuff unravels from his tales on the road. As always, please subscribe to the podcast to get new episodes every week, rated five stars and on Apple Podcasts. Subscribed to Big Money Players Diamond to get exclusive clips plus add free episodes weekly. Let's get into it.
Speaker 2: Oh bollyoh with Eric Andre.
Speaker 1: Okay, ladies and gentlemen. You know him as a comedian, a writer, an actor, an activist, an artist, a sex symbol.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: He's from the economically depressed state of Mississippi, Jared and everybody generally depressed as well. You don't just have this, you said, I've never been to Mississippi, so I'm talking shit. It might be it might be a it might be Valhalla.
Speaker 3: I think Mississippi is I just know Mississippi burning. It's emblematic of everything about America. William Faukner has a quote where says, to know a place like Mississippi is to know America, or something to that end.
Speaker 1: Does he know William Faulkner, He was fucking prick. He knew he was very dead. But from Mississippi. Okay, shout out.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I think that, like every every issue that we have in America is magnified and also kind of like on a grander scale in Mississippi in what sense, in the sense that like, are you worried about gun violence? Mississippi is a place where you can actually look at the effects of gun violence. Are you worried about minority rule by white people having power for centuries over black and brown people. Mississippi is a great example of that. Are you worried about our economic income disparity, where like the top percent have so much more than the rest of the country. Mississippi is an example of that. Are you worried about abortion rights being taken away? Mississippi's example of that. Are you worried about.
Speaker 1: Well, it seems like a real fun place. Have you they're a health nut, yes.
Speaker 3: I mean my favorite. My favorite healthy snack in Mississippi is compi with corn syr.
Speaker 1: That is like diabetes and a bite, a couple of bites. I got a sweet to you got a sweet tooth. Now you're in great shape, especially for Mississippi. Like God, damn Chisel, I think you have peptides. I saw Kumel in person, and he's jealous. He's thick, he's thinking enough for the Chippendale show. But he thinking, he's thinking up for the Chippendale Show. And if you watch it, he's not a stripper. He's a boss.
Speaker 2: I know. That's it.
Speaker 1: That's a that's a wild thing. Should I start doing peptides?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I think as I drink and then I get pudgy. What do you what you like drinking? Drinking is your vice? Yeah so the so the calories from the drinks is what you think.
Speaker 1: And I like cocktails like sweet cock good you good. It's too conestly.
Speaker 3: I think that makes you a feminist icon because you're not beholden to these male sensibilities that people spouse.
Speaker 1: You can drink grain, drink, you drink a pink drink. I'm drinking pink. Don't drink a cosmo right now?
Speaker 2: Hell yeah?
Speaker 1: You no hesitation? Are the cosmos here? Do you drink?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I drink.
Speaker 1: I don't drink a lot. You're right now? No, how old are you? Is that rough a birthday? You're like thirty twenty nine? It's very sweet. You're young. I love this conversation. You're like, I'm sixty fist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I can tell about Mississippi. I was there when they spread the water holes.
Speaker 1: Is on us? I'm marched. Listen, look ahead, young blood. I was it with doctor. Could you could tell me anything? You can tell me you're twenty one or fifty five.
Speaker 3: I'm the same age as a euphoria teen, That's what I'll say.
Speaker 1: So you're young. No, I'm the.
Speaker 3: Same age as like, I'm the same age as the people they cast as teenagers.
Speaker 1: So I'm in my thirties. Okay, that's great. But is Zendaya?
Speaker 3: I think she's late twenties. Do you look to her for Yeah? Because I want to. I want to fuck Tom Hollands. Yeah, that's is that your celebrity crush. No's like white guys on your race. No, my celebrity crush. If there's a person who literally could like make me go to my husband, Sorry, I have to leave. Zendia is on the list well because she is so much bigger than sexuality, and.
Speaker 1: She is beauty.
Speaker 2: I get that.
Speaker 3: Do you understand you put a garment on her? There's that famous photo of her Michael B. Jordan wearing the same suit, and she looks so much better than him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he had tube buff No, I don't say that might be on the list? Is he number two? He stared into the center of my penis one time. Tell the story behind this, Okay, So I was making bad trip in Atlanta, Georgia, and so Michael B. Jordan has seen into your urethra. Yeah, and it was an accident. The window to the soul, that's right. Lest people think it's the eyes, No, no, no, it's.
Speaker 3: Not.
Speaker 1: Starts. I went to the Four Seasons to you know, making that movie is very stressful, So I went to the Four Seasons on a weekend. I did not expect this story to start at the four season. Yeah, that started the Four Seasons. So I was at the Spa in the men's section of the spa, clothing optional. Sauna, steam room. I'm in the sauna. I'm there forever. Yeah, I'm bopping between the steam room the sauna whatever, and no one's there everything, nobody's there, and I'm like, you know what, no one's been here for like an hour.
Speaker 2: So comfortable.
Speaker 1: And then i just take off my bathroom. I'm spread eagle in the sauna. Yes, lo and behold the sauna the way the doors face a glass door, and I'm like sitting right there. It's a small sauna, spread eagle. No one's there forever. All of a sudden, movie star Apollo Creed whatever he plays, Michael B. Jordan comes around the corner and like walks and then he looks and makes eye contact with me. He looks down at my dick. He looks back into my eyes and then he just reversed moon walks out of the spot. Didn't get undrug, didn't He just was like, nope, oh my god, he left. Could I say something that is such a bro response is just like oh oh oh, oh, okay, bad your I didn't known't even it wasn't even my bad. It was like, look, it was like eye contact, dick, eye contact, eye contact?
Speaker 3: Can I tell you what my response would have been. I would have looked at your dick without seeing your face and went.
Speaker 1: But so, Zendayah, would you put them in that order? Zendaya first, Zendayah. Michael B.
Speaker 3: Jordan is somewhere in the top five. I also, who's like I'm trying to think of like a.
Speaker 1: Young like white guys. I think like Steve Lazy young cut.
Speaker 3: No. Steve Lazy has that quote where he said he sees black man and his brother so he can't hook up with him. No, no, I will listen, put it in my face. That's the craziest thing you can say. You can be like, I'm currently dating and or fucking a white guy, but you can't be like in this other race, I only see you as ken could never what.
Speaker 1: I think he's figuring it out. He also, I think he also.
Speaker 3: I think Steve Lazy that was also around the time probably where he was like in the internet, like the group, and like he probably was just saying wow. Yeah, he was probably saying wow ship and never thought it would blow up up. So then when you have a year like he did last year, everything comes back out. I think, yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm trying to think of who else is the celebrity that wouldn't get me in trouble if I was.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, they're so fucking hot. Oh okay, nobody can say whatever you want. Okay, So this is do you know who Manny? No? Man thinking?
Speaker 3: You know who managed Decento is? He's so hot he managed? Manny is just like, no, it's not r looking up Ronda Santas in those boots, in those he was just wear those boots, my girl, Ronda is Manny Manny j A C I N t oh I. He was an actor, he was on the place. He's he with a Latin name. And how Philippines work, that's what assumes very handsome, right. He looks cut, he looks drawn. Yeah, yeah, ok we look at that jawline. I wanted to slice my jorder. That is, he's so hot, he's barbied.
Speaker 1: Now, do you have an understanding with your husband? Do you get a do you get as if something like that can't? Can I say something? Hell, motherfucking is that a fifty to fifty even split? I don't believe what.
Speaker 3: I will let you know right now. And because you said no one's listening to this podcast, I will tell you. There are people who aren't even super famous that I feel like I can get a pass with.
Speaker 1: Really, yes, I mean and does it work the same way though? Will you give him the same and there's no jealousy or no jealousy all? In fact, what do you guys communicate?
Speaker 3: In fact as a queer couple, we don't even say we're open. We just say we're mature, we're adults. Now, we're realistic.
Speaker 1: It's an easier that's an easier pitch, okay to dudes and a girl more often, what did you say? That used to be.
Speaker 3: That used to be the case, and now straight women are starting to chill at because of TikTok?
Speaker 1: You think so?
Speaker 3: No, I think one day people will be able to be a bit more honest with their desires and their need for You know, listen, love is a great song, but every great song needs a remix?
Speaker 1: Do you understand?
Speaker 2: With a recondre with Aridre?
Speaker 1: Now you're a big QAnon guy, right, I'm a huge QAnon guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Huge? I love it. I can't get nothing because from Mississippi.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and I'm here to tell you about because I will say this in regards to QAnon as a queer stand up who like is having like a little bit of fun success. I'm upset that I haven't been invited to the obligatory bisexual orgies in Hollywood yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The funniest part about everyone being like, you know, when you get to the Hollywood, they're gonna make you do gay stuff. My response was always like make they're.
Speaker 1: Gonna make me. Might be now, when you first moved to New York as a Mississippian, where you're like intimidated, I was.
Speaker 3: So I didn't know there was this, I'll say, the most Mississippi thing ever. I didn't know there were so many different types of Mexican people, but it was you.
Speaker 1: Know what happened, Like, oh lord, so what happened?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've some family from Louisiana. But what happened is that I went to school in Mississippi, and then I went to.
Speaker 1: Which I don't know if you can believe it, they got them.
Speaker 3: We went to school in Mississippi and then went to school in someplace very different, Alabama. And then because I had like a BFA and an MFA and acting, I moved here and signed with the horrible agency and.
Speaker 1: They did not care about me. At all.
Speaker 3: They sent me to the worst auditions and then I started doing stand up because I wanted to, Like I done stand up a little bit in Mississippi, but did you stand up in Mississippi and Alabama? Back in the day, it was like maybe you get to do a show a month, right, and they'll be like, oh, when's your next show. You'll be like in a couple of months, I think I'm going to get to host this benefit, right, like it's never.
Speaker 1: But then you got here and you were pounding the pavement.
Speaker 3: Well you get here and I signed out like we had this. There was a really cool website back in the day, free mics dot Com, where you could just find where all the open mics were in the city, some of them free.
Speaker 1: Someone were like drinking, you know with the site. When I first moved here twenty years agow what it was called? Chuckle Monkey?
Speaker 3: No no, no, no, can I say new favorite slur?
Speaker 1: New favorite slur? My god, I was like, chuckle monk, chuckle monk, oh right right that end?
Speaker 3: Mm, I don't even want to see the image. I don't even want to see the image. Why is this monkey dressed like Richard pryor.
Speaker 1: A chuckle headsho no, Benveren, that's chicken George. All right, bombing, let's talk about the premise of this fucking podcast. What's the worst you ever bombed? You could do this in any order? Okay, where't you ever bomb? Wor'st bomb you ever witnessed? Most wasted you've been on stage? Okay, worst I've ever bombed? There's two.
Speaker 3: So like you don't want to count some of the early ones, but there was this one Ken Okay, So like you have like a couple of good mics, a couple of good like hot bar shows you. I went up on one show early. I want to say, this had to be like twenty sixteen Mississippi. No, no, no. This was in New York, so the New York bombs hit different.
Speaker 2: Oh they're tough.
Speaker 1: It was in the East Village, I believe it was twenty seventeen. I went up.
Speaker 3: A woman who was in town from LA was kind of at this like produced Mike, and she like was talking to me and she was like, oh, I can't wait to watch your set because we had like a good conversation, which she stayed. I went up on stage. Who first joke nothing?
Speaker 1: Second joke? Was nothing. The venue. I think it's closed since it was a comedy club or a bar. It was a bar, okay, okay.
Speaker 3: So it was like already gonna not be the best show, but like crickets from a bar, and like people were there, and people were there like watching, so it was a bigger crowd than they usually had, and so she was there from my la.
Speaker 1: We just had a good conversation in a bar. I was turning.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh yeah, I'm actually like really enjoyed doing comedy in New York right now.
Speaker 1: This is so cool. Oh my god, I made it so much worse.
Speaker 3: I talked about like not having anything in my bank account in a way that was just so unfunny, and I was like, okay, but then I couldn't be like, but look at these rich motherfuckers because I know they weren't, so it wh like it wasn't I wasn't being relatable. I just was not being funny. I just like through that. And then I like tried to sing and that also like didn't work. No, it was embarrassing. Yes, I tried to like make a joke about that bomb, about the bombs that were currently happening on the show.
Speaker 1: People before you on the show doing okay, yes, oh that's rough. Yeah, everyone was bombing. You could write it off, but every well it was and then you're distinking.
Speaker 3: It was one of those It was one of those places where like I wouldn't go down that street to that bar for like a good month because I was like, man, I don't even I don't got to put myself through that.
Speaker 1: I don't got to reopen that wound. How did you end the set? Well, probably with like.
Speaker 3: Well just because like you don't have anything, you like have like a couple of heaters, and like when those work's see, okay, that's the crazy part. So that's like twenty seventeen. So like twenty nineteen, I'm on like this tiny little college tour that I got from doing Naka, which is like yo, didn'mal a bunch of college and some of the shows are like great. Some of the shows though at these colleges they say, oh, you're going to do a show? Are you ready for this? At this time? So I want everyone it's the afternoon. I had a show at one pm at a college. I want to say it was in Missouri. It was somewhere in the midwest. Because I was driving to three different shows the over like a five day period. I go to do a show in one of their smaller lecture halls, so I'm not even on a stage.
Speaker 1: I'm like in a lecture.
Speaker 3: Hall with a slightly elevated surface with a lectern and a podium like a classroom.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was a classroom. The amount of people in there, twelve twelve people in the daytime to see me do an hour of comedy at a podium. At a podium, are you overhead projector?
Speaker 2: Eric?
Speaker 1: I could hear the spit in people's mouths? Yeah? Do you know this sound? Yeah? What are those twelve people doing?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 1: I questioned them a little bit, but what do they want?
Speaker 3: Because the school was probably like there's a comedian and they're like tonight, They're like no, no, no.
Speaker 1: Don't worry this afternoon. What.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's gonna be some subway sandwiches afterwards. Do you have a sable whole thing? You gotta save a whole thing, get the sandwich, Okay, So you just gotta wait them out.
Speaker 1: So you gotta wait them out. The first joke doesn't go well, and then you're like, great, I have fifty seven minutes. The thing you say is like, what's up? I could do you want to do?
Speaker 3: I just need to say roll for this class, they just need to like talk to y'all what's happening? And like the chuckles there are also so light because there's no way for a group of twelve people in the afternoon to jell enough to last as like a unit.
Speaker 1: There's no hive mind, there's no synchronous no, there's no cohesion. It's so just like moment in them stopping and so like those are the worst shows that are college shows. College shows are the worst shows.
Speaker 3: I love the college shows that I've done recently, and I love doing college shows when they're big enough crowds and when like everything goes right. But for that particular college show.
Speaker 1: Oh well they're produced by college children, so they're not gonna be But once again, it's are rough.
Speaker 3: Let me tell every college student listening, bring Jay to your campus at night, at.
Speaker 1: Night, in a venue where there's where there's a stage. Because I used to perform in the cafeterias, the cafetoriums, Yeah, while people were ordering chicken nuggs.
Speaker 3: The caffatorirea, gymnasiums, oh, there was like because like sometimes there's like that fun happy accident. Like one time, me and ze Nab Johnson, who's like this black Muslim woman from Harlem and my queer Mississippi ass performed in Utah and we.
Speaker 1: Were like, oh it was great, it was wonderful. But this ship in Missouri in the fucking afternoon for twelve people and they wanted me to stay afterwards and eat sandwiches with them. Yeah, I'm embarrassed. It's that cool. Are you kidding me? That's that cool. Yeah, we've all been there. Those shows make you, They made you the man you are today, because like for an hour, that's the other thing.
Speaker 3: Like when you bomb in the city, maybe you bomb for ten minutes, you bomb for twelve minutes, you get out of there, uskadado, Right. You know, there's a lot you can do right for for an hour.
Speaker 1: An hour is it's the longest hour of your life. But at that point halfway through, you just got to do crowd work, right or something, or just you talk to them.
Speaker 3: You just start commenting on everything. Yeah, you just start laughing in real time about your plight.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I kind of like, look at if there's a clock and I look at the like student activity board member that has my paycheck in those Yeah, I'm like kind of like checking in with them constantly. It's fifty five minutes, No, it's forty five. What gets me that check in your pocket? It gets me out there to my three connecting air tran flow.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, No, it was even crazy for me because it was in a hotel, rented a car and drove to all these different places to go back to that hotel to then finally fly out.
Speaker 1: So it was like a wasteland. It's so spacious, it's vast. It's so vast that you were like, what did the pioneers The pioneers needed to kill all the Native Americans for what for? Like it was room for there was room. We met a room. We don't need all of Montana, you don't need we need two Dakotas. It's a wasteland.
Speaker 3: I mean, like those are two bombs that like I will never forget. They're like carved into my person traumatized, not just traumatized, but learned so quickly what a.
Speaker 1: Real bomb is because oh, you know that show, I didn't feel like I did my best.
Speaker 3: You were because you'll be thinking like a six out of ten as a bomb, nah, like a true bomb bomb, like silence, Oh yes, silence, wake you up.
Speaker 1: Squeaky chairs, Yeah, people staring at you. The back of your neck is hot, ears are hot. You' you like people talk about shaking on camera and you go.
Speaker 3: Whoa are you that nervous? You go, oh, yeah, this is this is when people shake. Oh yeah, this is when you go just start to be like what It's my.
Speaker 1: Biggest fear of bombing on TV. Oh. I mean the first time I did stand up on television, it was live at Gotham, and I was so unbelievably nervous that I was like blackout for the first half of my set. Don't remember it completely, like under anesthesia, like propo fall, like yea took prop fall before I was on stage, don't remember completely. And I made the mistake of inviting like all my like high school friends I grew up with. Yeah, they're like in the front row too, which is like just such this unbelievable added pressure that I would never ever do again.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's an insane stand up comedy. It's not that old either. It's like only ninety years old, right, How old is stand up comedy.
Speaker 3: I mean, if Budville like one hundred years old, true true stand up comedy. If we're talking about like the way that we all kind of look at it now, like we'd have to say the sixties, so you're right, I'm not that old, and then the fifty sixty years old, yeah, because then like the seventies is like the ramp up in the eighties is the explosion, and nineties like so like it is weird to be like, oh, this thing that we kind of see as like being here forever. It definitely came out of a vaudevillian tradition, came out of like it came out technically, it came out of like mister show, I didn't do it, but okay, monkey.
Speaker 1: For more answers, smash that subscribe button.
Speaker 3: But like the wildest part is that stand up is fairly young and it's still ever evolving and morphinge, and like I'm this weird combination of like I have fairly traditional set up punchline ship, but also people are like, but you're you're queer, and I'm like yeah, and people still will be like if you're a black person who does stand up comedy in a certain way in certain rooms, they'll be like this is groundbreak, and you'll be like.
Speaker 1: No, no, this is just stand up. Stop stop thinking it's groundbreak. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have to remove yourself from this logic. Yeah, the groundbreaking. No no, no, I'm not the first person to talk in front of people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how are you? How have you done like coming up at like black shows like black Here's here's a crazy part. Black rooms love confidence a lot of people. I mean, if we talk when I was coming up so much, if we talk about the famous for capone, it was not a pleasure apperance. I'm gonna see you on like a Who's a.
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 1: Who's the dude? Uh?
Speaker 3: To teach the motherfucking k you you know T K. Kirkland show.
Speaker 1: That's too black for me? Only half that flew over my head. Give me Anthony Brown reference or something brown.
Speaker 3: Here's okay. So here's the thing. I think that like black rooms, they make you work, and so like there.
Speaker 1: Was like a hood room. Yeah, like like like a mother like a hood room where it's like they say, is motherucking chocolate night like that kind of ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're like listen, okay, I've done okay because from Mississippi and also like.
Speaker 1: Because I'm a book floor.
Speaker 3: Well, if you're like, here's if you're queer black people, if you can play with it and play around it and about it and have jokes about it, black people be like, oh, at least this motherfucker knows. It's when people like start to get cagey. It's when people like really don't know themselves. Like one of my favorite jokes that work so well Black rooms as that go, I'm a black queer man also known as a gospel choir direcord.
Speaker 1: Like they you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's always going to be because like people forget, Like I went to a ninety black high school. Like my ship growing up was like I was like watching Laguna Beach in secret, but like all my so many of my homeboys were like, just you won't watch Paid in full. I was like, I love Cameron, Cameron jobs, dip Set, dip set all day, baby.
Speaker 1: Have you I mean you're in Dipsett's neighborhood. Have you run into them? No? Person I see the most.
Speaker 3: The person I see the most is Dave East, who's a rapper from East Harlem.
Speaker 1: I'm in Harlem. Who else is up there ice spice.
Speaker 3: She's northern me. That's like one third. That's grand concourse, she's up there. Do you like ice spice?
Speaker 2: I love ice spic.
Speaker 1: Are you excited for a light skinned renaissance?
Speaker 2: Are you excited?
Speaker 1: I would wait for yes, sindbads and bad health. So we need something. We need ice spice to And it is wild that like she truly got dead eyes though I would I feel like she's in North Korean hostage a little bit. No, I got those Selena Gomez dead inside.
Speaker 3: I think it's so crazy. She truly brought munch people like people who know about the word. So many people shouldn't even know where the fucking munch is. Tell me what a monch is?
Speaker 1: A month? This is what I would say. A month is.
Speaker 3: A monch is a man who, with the press of a button will come and do anything for you as a girl who's like got it on lock. If he's just a month, he's like just a guy who like you can be like I need you come eat this pussy.
Speaker 1: He'll show up like that. You'd be like I need a new bag like that.
Speaker 3: Paint me monch, eric Andre, Are you ready for this Deadline article? Eric Andre comes out as a munch. Jordan Poole, the NBA player, apparently allegedly spend like I want to say, like five hundred thousand dollars on like days with Ice. Spice and Cam and Mace were like man, she from the Bronx.
Speaker 1: She would have made with a slice of pizza. Come on, yeah, you don't have to do that. That's insane. That's fucking outrageous.
Speaker 3: NBA players, That's what happens. I've never dated the NBA player, but you could. None of them are out, doesn't mean you can't take them. Jason Collins is the only is the only one that was ever a little gay was gay and he I hate to say this about Jason Collins. Listen, I love what you did for diversity and visibility, but he.
Speaker 1: Wasn't even that good. So it is hard. That's mean I shouldn't say it out.
Speaker 2: With Aricdre.
Speaker 1: With Aricdre, what's the worst bomb you ever witnessed? Is there one that you have that you witnessed that was a fucking to name the person if they're your friend or.
Speaker 4: You can call them mister and missus. Okay, this is uh, this is something on front street. I won't put them on front street, Sloan. No, I've never seen bomb.
Speaker 3: The scariest thing I've seen Dulce do is I've seen someone like try to be overly familiar with Dulce and she didn't know them and she shouldn't shipped down quick.
Speaker 1: Someone like came in I think for a kiss and she was like no, no, no, you have to earn earn that kiss. I was like, the bomb with her? They bombed, Yeah, that thing they got banned with her? Who did you see?
Speaker 2: Who did you see? Bomb?
Speaker 3: Have you ever seen someone not read the room? And so I've seen and this is something that like I'll actually talk about. I've seen a person who really wanted to do their club set in a non club space in Brooklyn because it.
Speaker 1: Was like a hipster audience and they want to not just hipster like they want a little bit looser.
Speaker 3: They wanted things that were a bit more kind of like idiosyncratic. Yeah, a little tall tea, but like it's truly just they just wanted a bit more authenticity. And this person came so polished and so buttoned and just really wanted to get that type five out and like punchlines that I know probably work in midtown, and that work for certain audiences.
Speaker 1: Just I saw a.
Speaker 3: Lot of people with dyed hair just be like boo because they just didn't accept that this crowd was gonna be a little different.
Speaker 1: They kind of like a right wing kind of guy. Or it wasn't the right wing. I don't eve think.
Speaker 3: I think he's definitely like, no, it wasn't political, but like it was so the opposite of what they want. This crowd wanted in a way that was almost disrespectful.
Speaker 1: They wanted R and B and he was playing country.
Speaker 3: Not only they I don't even think they wanted R and B. They wanted the B side of a band that you've never heard, right, And he was playing Top forty, right, he want just playing Top forty. He was playing Top forty from like a year ago, so they will get it. Sebastian Maniscalco, it was it was again and and we've never heard from him since.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who was it? Just tell us I can't tell you hell no, no, no, no, no, no. I just I just love the fact that that hot guys.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think of the what's some hot guys? Oh, I've seen not a bomb, but it was like silly. One time Jim Gaffigan dropped in to do a show and sent up New York and I was hosting, and he fell hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like walking up to the stage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I got a picture of him getting up. It's like, because I just want you to know something like boom, he's a tall guy too.
Speaker 1: He's a tall man.
Speaker 3: He'll say it. He's a he's a bit a girl man. And listen, he was slowing it up to like you know, that's what I'm It was not fake.
Speaker 1: There are people who thought it was fake. That ship was very real.
Speaker 3: And Jim Gabbigan is so funny, but like you could tell because like physical bit term really is things. So when he fell, some people were like, there's Jim being Jim again. But like people want to know, were like, no, what, what what's going on? He got really pissed at me one time I was at I was at some bar.
Speaker 1: I want a full list of all the people who have gotten really pissed at you. Gosh, how much time do you get Are you ready to laugh? Look at look at that? Oh oh my god, are you ready for that? That's also me telling the crowd not to laugh. He's like, yeah, just like fell that.
Speaker 3: He posted it too, he because and then people were like, Jay, do you think think it was a fault. I was like, if he's that good at physical comedy, he should he he'd be in every movie doing that. It was like Chris Pratt level. I mean it was like Chris Farley level, Like yeah, Pratt fall for God, but so amiliated and like he I think he like said one joke. He was like, no, I'll just stay down here because like, keep in mind, I also have to step.
Speaker 1: Over him to get he got. It's just small stage, It's this big. We're on the Umberost side. It was wild.
Speaker 3: These people like erupted. When I said Jim Gafian was going to do the show, he comes up.
Speaker 1: He got really angry at me one time and it was an accidental like I went to this show and uh it was like a small show downtown Lower East Side, and I went and there was only one seat in the back available. I wanted to sit amongst the comics. The comics were lurking in the back and Pete Holmes was there, A bunch of comedians were there, and like I went to sit in the one available seat and everyone was like, oh, that's Gappulkin seat. Oh, don't take that seat, that's Cappulkin seat.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: And they were all like weirdly kissing his ass, and I was like, whatever, we're at a bar. He didn't claim the seat, like he's walking around like let me sit. I was like huh. And then so when I got and then when he walked back, I went to him and he thought I was fucking with him. He had no context. I was like, is this your seat? Is this your seat, sir? Sir, I'm so sorry I took your seat. But he's like he didn't know the setup. Yeah, yeah, he didn't say he didn't hear them like weirdly brown nosing him and like like like bounding to his feet. So he just thought I was like being some prick for some reason. And he was like he looked at me like what the fuck is your.
Speaker 2: Nah ship?
Speaker 1: And he's big, he's got like big needy hands, like he like he might not be fast, but if he got like one, yeah, yeah gonna have to. So I hope he's not so mad at me, but I think like five seconds later he forgot that whole thing happened. Good. He already gets into it goes into a rage. So he told me he goes into rage. Who I kind of like that seething anger, seething dark anger.
Speaker 3: I feel like a lot of comics probably either go into rage are just like become silly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they either.
Speaker 3: Scream or they just start laughing at everything. Like it's the two sides of the coin.
Speaker 1: I think I'm on the last the laugh. Yeah, that's a good place to be. Yeah, seating rage was before therapy, but there's still there's still.
Speaker 3: I'll I'll like scream if like it's the last resort because I don't even think it's violent. I just think it's a show that like you get it out well. Because one time, me and my friend were walking to our train and this group of kids was like, hey, do you guys have any weed. We're like, we'll have any weed. And like when I say kids, I mean like teenagers. So I feel bad screaming at them and they asked us again.
Speaker 1: I was like, we'll have any weeks and then they like touched my friend and I was like, what the fuck are y'all doing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because like we're nice dudes, some crazy person's gonna beat the ship.
Speaker 1: Out of y'all. I'm like screaming at these kids to teach them a lesson. Yeah, lesson. Do you have to keep those teenagers online?
Speaker 2: They're gonna bowl over you if you don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you hear that. Spare the rod, spoil the child, Mississippi. Beat your Kids? Can that be a sound drop? Can we put that on the board show?
Speaker 1: Key, there we go. That's still gonna be the intro and outro of every episode. Beat your Kids? Anything else?
Speaker 3: Everyone, don't be afraid to bomb, don't pursue it, don't don't don't chase it.
Speaker 1: But them, shit's gonna happen. It happens to the best people. They're just really famous.
Speaker 3: The Chris Rock story about him like hearing Martin Lawrence like destroy before him in Chicago, and.
Speaker 1: He's like, what's going on?
Speaker 3: It's crazy, And he goes out and he bombs because like Martin Lawrence had basically like laughed the crowd into exhaustion.
Speaker 1: He's like, god damn.
Speaker 3: And that's one of the most I mean, that's a bomb that led to it an illustrious career.
Speaker 1: That was his first early bomb, that.
Speaker 3: Was like a bomber that's now no I think he was established enough to like do a show, but you know how like sometimes famous people and it happens now because everyone is part of the reason why they're yonder pouches, like you know, anyone working on a new hour that's of note. You kind of are like you almost have to be like, hey, some of this shit ain't hidden yet. And then some crowds are like, that motherfucker wasn't as funny? Is that thing he worked on for three years?
Speaker 1: How dare you?
Speaker 3: And you're like, well, that's You're part of the process of me coming up with something new in the next three years.
Speaker 1: So we're working on this together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I mean I think that like if I learned anything, no college shows in the daytime ever, because that shit sticks with me.
Speaker 1: Like someone could.
Speaker 3: Be like, oh, Jay, I love your tonight show set, and I'd be like, but what about that college show.
Speaker 1: In the daytime.
Speaker 3: I'm at one time, I can still see the face of this very round white face of this guy wearing a hoodie and he shook his head at one point during my show, and I was like, I'm there with your brother.
Speaker 1: I'm black. People shouldn't be on.
Speaker 3: Stage, You're right, I ain't crushing it. God, just this round midwestern face. Oh, I'll never forget it.
Speaker 1: Well, Jay, thank you, thank you. This is fun. Yeah, come back Anytime.
Speaker 2: With Eric Andre.
Speaker 1: Bombing with Eric Andre is brought to you by Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network and iHeart Podcasts. Executive produced by Hans Sani and Olivia Aguilar, Edited and sound designed by Andy Harris. Our artist by Dylan Vanderberg. And if you want to confess to your own bombing moments or give us a shout out, go rate us five stars and drop a review on your podcast app of choice right about your own stories of bombing at life. If you're on Apple Podcasts, you can also subscribed to Big Winny Players Diamond to get exclusive bonus content with every episode and listen to all my episodes ad free. The guests on Bombing with Eric Andre were recorded before the SAG after strike. Bye, Beat your Kids,