Speaker 1: Hello, puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler Podcast. The Tartan on your Puzzle Kilt. I am your host, AJ Jacobs, and today's guest is the awesome Faith Saaley, Emmy winning correspondent for CBS Sunday Morning, author podcast host. Welcome, Faith, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Those are the things my father usually tells people in the checkout line at the grocery store. So it's really nice to hear it from you.
Speaker 1: He's welcome to come in as like an an announcer sort of whatever. Ed McMahon on our Puzzler podcast. So Faith, we're excited. Today We've got Greg Pliska, our chief puzzle officer. He has come up from the puzzle Lab to give you a puzzle, and this one is it's based on your name, Faith, by the way, just fun fact. And then I'll I'll turn it over for my book. I've been researching Old English and your name used to be pronounced with the full like fiveth, fiveth, So I'm really start calling you that.
Speaker 3: I insist that you do.
Speaker 2: And I love that it didn't have like a phantom e on the end or anything, right.
Speaker 1: I thaw no as far as I know, but a lot of these double vowels used to be pronounced.
Speaker 2: So and by the way, since we're here in the puzzler, I have been putting in my name for wordle as a first guest for two years and I'm just ready for the day that's gonna happen. But it's gonna happen one day, and I'm gonna be exactly.
Speaker 1: You gotta, as we know, have perseverance. Oh yeah, So for that, I'm going to turn it over to Greg, chief puzzle Officer.
Speaker 2: What do you got Greg, Greg, I'm in the presence of double puzzle geniuses.
Speaker 4: You're up to the task though.
Speaker 5: You've proved yourself this week, so we're ready to double.
Speaker 2: What I don't think your listeners know is that both of you appear in these kind of puzzling unitards like the Riddler from Batman, and that is why this should be on YouTube.
Speaker 5: Well it will be one day and all will be revealed, not everything.
Speaker 2: You're dealing a lot in those unitards right now, you.
Speaker 5: Know, to keep our guests awake, I'm here ready to go, all right, So here's the setup. Faith Saley, Bob Hope and Courtney Love walk into a bar. Yep, you see exactly it's not the setup to a great joke. It probably could be, but it's the setup for the next puzzle, which is all about what.
Speaker 2: Things in the Bible really and love, faith and charity, faith, hope.
Speaker 5: And love, or hope and charity is a famous group of three? In this case, it's from the Bible. So every answer in this puzzle is going to be a famous group of three, Okay, a well known group of three.
Speaker 4: I'll give you short in.
Speaker 2: Salt in Peppa, that group from the nineties, Yeah, exactly, and never got a fair Shake.
Speaker 5: No, that was in that Salt Peppa and DJ Spindrella or something like that was the third member of that group. They're actually were three members of that group.
Speaker 2: See only, Greg plisk I told you presence of greatness right now.
Speaker 5: The intersection of puzzles in music. Actually that is how we met. But because I did music for authorized your podcast.
Speaker 2: Yes, a wonderful podcast on Audible in which I fell in love with romance novels.
Speaker 4: Yes, it was so fun, so fun.
Speaker 5: Anyway, This the way this works is I'll give you short clues to each of the three things, and then you tell me what the group is. Okay, So I'll give The example I'll give you might be the blank herring, blank rabbit, blank lagoon.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, uh, no offense to anyone's culinary taste or traditions. But herring is gross, so grossing. Now we're heading towards a law firm gloss gross Leuwenstein and Walker.
Speaker 4: Sun rabbit and Walker Lagoon. Exactly, it doesn't work. They're all colors.
Speaker 3: They're all oh colors.
Speaker 2: Okay, so all it's a red herring and the second one was a rabbit. Again, rabbit is kind of gross to eat, but it's a color. So a red white rabbit and blue. Wasn't that the name of a movie that people our age might have not been allowed to see?
Speaker 3: Exactly naked?
Speaker 4: That that shows are age.
Speaker 5: If we know Blue Lagoon as a movie as opposed to I don't know, Blue Lagoon is the the hotspring Iceland.
Speaker 4: Iceland a fancy people.
Speaker 5: You were just sitting in the basement watching the vhs of Blue Lagoon.
Speaker 2: Okay, Red, white, and blue?
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 5: So the good thing about this puzzle is that you only need to get one of the three things if you can then recognize the group that it belongs to. Okay, A popular messaging app, a crunchy Hershey's bar and another name for dad.
Speaker 2: Popular mess and a popular message.
Speaker 4: App messaging app.
Speaker 5: I don't know if your kids would be allowed nap chat Yeah, the short the short name.
Speaker 2: For that, nap Okay, yes, my kids are definitely not allowed to use that until they are forty two.
Speaker 3: Snap and what was the second one?
Speaker 6: Crunchy Hershey's bar ah crack crackle with a K, yes, the spells it.
Speaker 2: And then another word for dad, baba snap crackle and baba is it's the Russian.
Speaker 6: Breakfast cereal snap crackle and pop.
Speaker 5: Exactly the three uh little Elvish mascots for rice crispies.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: Not a sponsor of this show yet.
Speaker 2: Yet when we do this live, I will bring you rice Krispy treats minor famous. I add vanilla extract and extra marshmallows.
Speaker 4: You're in, You're in. Let's do it.
Speaker 5: This next one is all film and television. Okay, okay, blank wife, blank seed, blank duckling.
Speaker 2: The last one was duckling like a baby duck or dumpling.
Speaker 4: Yes, blank duckling.
Speaker 3: Okay, blank life.
Speaker 4: No wife sorry, blank wife?
Speaker 2: Oh oh well, the only one I can think of.
Speaker 3: Is it was the good.
Speaker 2: Wife good good Okay, yeah, oh the good Okay, we're going with.
Speaker 3: The whole thing.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think I know this one. The good and then seed was just like an old classic movie. I've never seen classicer even than the Blue Lagoon Bad, the good, bad, Yeah, and then ugly duckling. So I love this answer, the good, bad, and the ugly because my husband has a shirt from that old Sergio Leoni movie Yeah, and he wore it for the birth of both of our children. That was his good luck pop shirt.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 5: And if so, were the children going to be the good the bad?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Had to thank God.
Speaker 2: So we only have a good child and a bad child. We just haven't told the children which is.
Speaker 3: Or maybe I was the ugly when.
Speaker 4: I was giving, right, he was the good.
Speaker 5: You were the Anyway, I don't want to cast dispersions on anyone in your family. Great job, though, The good, the bad, and the ugly is the answer to that one. Let's do a couple more. Dwayne Johnson, The New York The New York Times, a barber's tool.
Speaker 2: Okay, Dwayne Johnson, New York Times and a barber's tool. Well, obviously, the Dwayne Johnson answer is the character he played in Mawana.
Speaker 3: Now I can't what's his name?
Speaker 2: Maui Mauie yees, Mauie. Mauie is definitely in a Fa miss trio, The Three the Largest, Okay, I think Dwayne Johnson is the Rock.
Speaker 3: Can you smell what I'm cooking?
Speaker 2: Okay? Rock? New York Times? Oh see, you're going twentieth century. If you want me to call The New York Times a paper? You want me to call it a paper, don't?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Back, So it's Rock Digital Platform.
Speaker 3: Let's see what was the left hand?
Speaker 2: A barber's tool, A barber's tool, razor, Rock Digital Platform, Raiser.
Speaker 3: Done. I'm so good at.
Speaker 5: Rock paper scissors exactly, Rock paper scissors, the game, the.
Speaker 1: Rock Paper Scissors, the Rock Papers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he goes Dwayne, Yeah, the Rock Rock.
Speaker 4: I call him Rock. You know we're kind of informal and you're clothes.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, just wait till he comes on the show.
Speaker 3: Then you can call him Maui.
Speaker 4: He'd be fun to having as a guest.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it wouldn't be as fun as you though.
Speaker 1: Thanks. Before we wrap up, Faith, where can we find more of you?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: You know, what if you want to hear more about my life. My off Broadway show is about my life and it's called Approval Junkey and it lives on Audible.
Speaker 3: It is the entire ninety minute show. You can listen to it and then.
Speaker 2: You will know more than you ever wanted to know about me.
Speaker 3: And I invite you to come and listen.
Speaker 1: I saw it with the visuals and I loved it, so I highly recommend you to check that out. And Greg, do you have an extra credit for those at home?
Speaker 5: Of course I do. Aj The extra credit for this episode is pots pots cool as in the old cigarette brand Kool and Silent SI L E N T.
Speaker 1: I am listening and I have no idea what you're talking about, but that is good. That will give me something to do. Thank you, Greg, and puzzlers. While you're working on that, please tell your friends. If you're enjoying the puzzler, go on whatever app that there is and rate us and come back tomorrow and you'll find out the answer to the stumper. So come back tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 5: Hello puzzlers, this is Chief Puzzle Officer Greg Pliska here with the extra credit answer from our previous episode. We played Absolute Joy with Faith Saley, a game in which every answer is a two word phrase starting with the letters A J.
Speaker 4: The clue we gave you was.
Speaker 5: Everyone approves of your weight weight colleague Bill Curtis and this c I'm in Law program he hosted on the A and E Network. That is the show American Justice. Thanks for playing with us, and we'll see you next time on the Puzzler Podcast