Speaker 1: As a league fifteen to ten touched up er well.
Speaker 2: The good vibes continue.
Speaker 3: Welcome into a brand new episode of Chargers Weekly, as always, joined by Matt Muddy Smith, who I think has been on the road calling hoops Christ It's.
Speaker 1: Been a busy week. Was out at MSG, got a sweet little garden run in me Saint John's versus Yukon on Saturday, and then a quick one up to up to Maples, Stanford versus UCLA. A little bit less juice in the arena at Stanford, believe it or not than there was in New York City for the Johnnies versus the number one team in the nation Yukon. But tip of the cap here in Southern California to our friend Mick Cronan. Love him. One of my favorite people in town, one of the best coaches in town. And just to acknowledge what he's doing. I'm sure he's a coach that Jim Harbaugh would absolutely love. The toughness that he instills into his kids, and it's impressive. I'll just because I do think there's a correlation. I feel like I can actually speak a little bit at length to this. You know, he's he's got the eighth youngest team in the nation. And this is you know a team. I just saw a Yukon squad that won the national championship last year and three of their most impactful players are all first year transfers. One from ECU Tristan Newton, one from Rutgers Cam Spencer, and one Hassandiarra from Shoot. Where did he come from? I think, ah, I can't remember. Anyway, Mick has got kids from all over the world, not the country, the world, seven nations, Nigeria, Slovena, Serbia, Turkey, France, Spain, nineteen year olds, eighteen year olds. And you know, after struggling at the start of the year, they are absolutely kicking tail right now they've won six to seven. And you know the correlation I see is, hey, it's not a sprint, it's a marathon. And with the amount of free agents the Chargers have, and how much different this roster is gonna look. The infusion of young talent. Maybe it starts a little bit slow, but when you have a coach like Jim Harbaugh who can develop talent, like mc cronin can develop talent, that's the most underrated asset of a coach. The ability to develop, to make kids better and mix one of the best at it, and Jim Harbaugh is one of the best at it. You look at those look at those kids at Michigan that he brought in and where they ended up after three years, after four years, and how many he's putting into the NFL, and I think that's you know, it's just something that kind of hit me last night when I was watching that game, is they knocked off Stanford up at Maples to win their six and seventh im Like, man, these are kids playing against twenty two and twenty three year olds, and these nineteen year olds in a three point game and the final three minutes on the road just austin tail and winning and closing out and making huge baskets and coming up with big defensive stops. And that's the developmental process that's so important to finding in a good coach.
Speaker 3: No doubt, We've talked so much about Jim's success, you know, specifically with quarterbacks and Michigan and really every stop he's gone. But I'm sure we'll dig into this a little bit more money as the off season goes on. It's just the player development side of it and the guys who, you know, maybe need that extra year or two and some time to untap that full potential. Guys like Quentin Johnston and Zion you know, former first round picks, former draft picks that maybe have.
Speaker 2: Been a little late to develop.
Speaker 3: I feel like that those guys are going to show something this year and beyond with with Jim at the controls, and you know what a partner he has with Joe hortiz Man. Like like Jim knocked it out of the park last Thursday. I thought Joe did the same on Tuesday. And as I kind of like land survey the landscape of all the new coaches and just like the fit right, the fit among general manager and head coach, and how an organization is going to run, you know, is it going to run through the GM? Is it going to run through the head coach? I just I don't think that the Chargers could have secured a better fit with Joe and Jim, given Joe's background in Baltimore, going way beyond John Harball, just the track record of a success that that front office has had, really the kind of the gold standard in the NFL, and then pairing him with the Jim Harball, they know exactly who each other are, They know exactly the type of identity that they want to have as a football team. And I just thought Joe was fantastic. And guess what, Joe's going to join us in about ten minutes or so and we'll go way beyond the press or but just your initial thoughts.
Speaker 1: On this impressive. I'm with you, Chris. I think there's reason to be as excited about the Joe Ortiz higher as there is about the Jim Harbaugh hire. It's you got to have the best players. You know, we see coaches who can perhaps out scheme or out coach others. You know, when you think about the Patriot teams and the draft cat you know the draft profile of their players and how often Bill Belichick got undrafted free agents to perform above their draft status for him on defense or Tom Brady in the sixth round, Kyle Shanahan on offense, what he's able to do with mister Irrelevant at quarterback all the way to the Super Bowl. Yes, there are those instances, but for the most part, you got to have the horses. You know, You've got to draft and develop well, spend your money wisely. That's something we really saw bite the Chargers. I think quite a bit in terms of J. C. Jackson not being a great fit. You know, the money that was spent in free agency where ofton Johnson? Was he serviceable? Was he was he? Did he do what he was signed to do? Yeah? But did he do it at an above average level? Did he do it and it excelled you know, an accelerant and probably not so. I think it's that's important, right is you've got to be able to find players and Baltimore has done it time and time again. And Joe. I think one of the most impressive things about about Joe is and I appreciate it is is just the ability to connect with every single level of the front office. There is not a single you know it is gonna there isn't a single person that's going to feel left out. This is someone who started at a personnel assistant, you know, as an assistant to the personnel department, and from there just worked his way up area regional, scout, college director, pro you know, pro personnel director, player, personnel director. Just had to step a lot, did not get to skip a rung. And that goes a long way because you recognize how important each rung on that ladder is to get to the top. So that is exciting about Joe. And just look, I don't think we're saying anything that people don't know or haven't heard. You know, Jim Harboss, he's aggressive, he's confrontational. He is going to tell you what he thinks and how it is because he believes that's the most effective way to get something done. Don't puss your foot around it. I'm gonna tell you what's going on and what's wrong and how we got to fit. And some people don't. They're not comfortable in that environment. You know. Maybe they just take offense to it, or they get combative. And I think in the case of Joe, he knows, he knows what it looks like, he knows how competitive the hardballs are and what they expect him. There's just I've worked with people like that. I think we probably many of us people listening you, Chris, we've worked with people like that, and it's fine. You just understand, Okay, that's how they operate. They don't mean anything. There's no ill will, there's no they're not belittling you. They're just aggressive and they're a little more confrontational and you're comfortable with that.
Speaker 2: The angles the same too, right.
Speaker 3: It's just it comes down to wanting to win right, right, So it doesn't matter the personality or the way in which you do it, just as long as you do it. And Baltimore has had a formula of success in doing it, and Jim has obviously had the same and it seems like those messages aligned very nicely when you talk about Joe and Jim together. One of the things that impressed me with Joe was just the him talking about like the family aspect to this, because that's a big deal, like money. You and I both worked for the Lakers and people have been there for twenty twenty five thirty years. And I remember when I first got I interviewed for the Lakers. There was like two thousand and six. I was like in my mid twenties. I flew out from DC Cross Country and I was expecting this like global brand, headquarter corporation, and I come in it's just me and the guy who hired me, and it's just like, man, this is just like a family. This is the total opposite of what you would expect from like a global brand.
Speaker 2: I just I think that that matters like.
Speaker 3: Culture and family and guys who can can set a nice path forward. And to your point about Joe, he's done every job in the book, so he knows what the Scouts are going through. I think he even mentioned just like, hey, I empathize with those guys when they're on the road. I want to make sure that they know that we appreciate what they're doing when you have that sort of culture where everybody's rowing in the same direction. And I thought you just maybe the best point about Joe is he's done everything, and he's done it at the pre eminent place.
Speaker 2: And I think that mass sure.
Speaker 1: And you know, football is interesting because it is different than a lot of other sports. There are very few, you know, business sort of business backed conglomerates that own football teams. For the most part is this is generational. You know, these things do not move. They get passed down from generation to generation. You know, there are names like the Rooneys, the Hallises, which have become the mccaskey's, the Maras. You know now in Dallas it's gonna be the Joneses. You know that there's there's very few. You know, the situation in Washington is rare and you saw what happened when someone who was a titan of business came in and tried to do it a little bit differently. Now, granted, Daniel Snyder is you know, this is just one of the worst donors in the history of professional sports and American history. But I think what you typically see is it is you know, I think mom and pop lends to a negative connotation, so I don't want to say that, but no, it's not at all, you know. I think that the one thing about and and look I said it when they hired when they hired Harp, when they were going to hire Harbor, and everybody was pushing back and oh, they'll never spend that kind of money. I just said, I get it. I understand that this is a family that has owned this team for generations, right from Alex Binos to Dean Spanos to John and Age who are now you know, all the way up at the top of the corporate structure underneath their dad being like, I get it. It's a long time. But since they've been here, I've tried to share with the people listening and watching, it's different. It is completely different the way this organization has operated since they have been in Los Angeles, and I don't when you are hearing about some of the financial investments that they have made in this hiring cycle that that was the last part that I think. You know, it's going to get out. You know what they're spending on the front office too, that's that's going to eventually make its way and people an be like, damn, like they they are sparing no expense for coaches, for assistant coaches, for strength and conditioning coordinators for now, the brand new facility that we've talked about, and there's a reason why Jim Harbaugh was like, hey, Ed and I got to go shopping for some weight room equipment. Like nothing is being spared the you know, they had the Ferrari. You know, that's the players, and that's spending money on player acquisitions, which everybody has to do because nobody's under the cap. Ever in the NFL, it's not like baseball. They're all spending right up to and past the cap. And they had the Ferrari. Now they got the driver and Jim Harbaugh and all this other stuff. They're adding the assistant coaches, the general manager, the facility, the weight room, they're getting the pit crew now now they have one of the best pit crews in all of in all of the game, in all of the sport. And there's a reason why I think, you know, both Jim Harbaugh and Georties were so effusive in praise to the Spinos is because they recognize, Okay, we're in LA, we've got facilities, we've got the quarterback, and you know, we've got the destination where free agents want to be, and we're being given everything we need to compete to not just compete, but to win. And I think that's that's one of my takeaways from both of these pressers. These are two accomplished individuals that have done it at a high level, expect to win, would not leave their current situations to take a paycheck because of how competitive they are. I heard someone I can't remember who it was, was talking about it. It's you know, Harbad just wanted to get back to southern California. That's not how that guy's wired. You're kidding me that. It's not how he is wired. It is competition. It's championship. It's saying multiple championships because they're in Los Angeles is what's expected. And I think the same goes for Joe. You know, why would I leave that? You know, the a Baltimore organization that never moves on from guyst there. It is it's hard to get anything out of that building, let alone a person that's had success in the personnel department. There's a reason why he came and wanted this job and you know, pursued it as aggressively as he did because of what they what they envisioned the future could look like, the very immediate future could look like.
Speaker 2: They got two Herberts now too.
Speaker 3: They got Justin and they got Ben and they're both dull, you know like that that just speaks to the what they've.
Speaker 2: Done around Jim and Joe.
Speaker 3: And you know we'll get into some of the coaching hires, but like you know, Ben Herbert, I'm fascinated to learn more about this guy, his process, what he's done from Wisconsin to Michigan. Jesse Minter on board now is the DC's It sounds like Greg Roman gonna be uh controlling the offense. And you know, Jim's putting together a staff that he's worked with before that has.
Speaker 2: Had proven success.
Speaker 3: And I think just also with with Justin Herbert in mind too, the Greg Roman thing I think is fascinating because if you go throughout his history, he's run heavy man.
Speaker 2: But that's exactly what his Charges team needs.
Speaker 3: You know, he's never had a quarterback quite like Justin Herbert too to throw the ball down the field. So like you know, first and ten, second and ten, you could take shots because you know you got a punishing running game. Like that's another layer two this all season money that I'm sure we'll dive into once things start to take shape. We get in a free agency, in the draft and just scheme.
Speaker 4: But but I.
Speaker 3: Think Charges fans should be excited about the staff that.
Speaker 1: Jim's no doubt, and I think you know, we've talked about it. We talked about you know, Jesse Minner and and what he's done. And that's the direct tide to Mike McDonald. There's a reason why Seattle wanted Mike McDonald, though, look, he's young. It's a little dangerous to I don't think they hired Mike McDonald for his scheme by any chance. Everything we heard about him is what an incredible individual leader of men that he is. But it's also the defense, it's it is the direction that this league is going in the post Vic Fangio era, now, you know. And that's the funny thing about this is you have, like you have these cycles. You know, I think about Dom Caper's and his own blitz, and you think about Wade Phillips in the three four, and you know, you think about Tony Dungee in the Tampa two. Like these things come and then Pete Carroll, you know, and Cover three in the single high, and like these things rotate and offenses figure it out and then defenses have to adjust, and it's just it's it's a back and forth and it's happened throughout the course of football since the freaking wing team. But like, the thing about this particular era of defense and what Jesse Minner and what Mike MacDonald they're doing is people are trying to crack the code and Brian Flores does quite a bit of it. And it's actually very similar to kind of what Bill Belichick was doing in you know, in New England, the Amoba defense, where you've got seven guys on the line of scrimage. You have no idea where the pressure's coming from. It's simulated pressures, who's dropping out, who's coming, But you saw, you know, I think you saw against Baltimore how much team struggled, and you saw Michael Pennix Junior have his worst game as a Husky against that Michigan defense, just because they don't know. When the quarterback doesn't know what he's looking at, can't process. And that's something that we saw and that's why a lot of people are excited, you know, about about Jesse Minter coming on the defensive side of the ball, and about what Jim Harbaugh is gonna do on the on the offensive side of the ball.
Speaker 3: The ability to adapt in the NFL and evolve is so paramount. And I was listening to some of Dan Quinn's press conference and he admitted straight up, he said, I did a three sixty on who I was as a head coach. What I needed to change, He said, in frankly, you know that leads you to boom cover three defense that was hot for a while and then it wasn't. So I had to change, and he changed the defense in Dallas and he had success doing it.
Speaker 2: So I think the.
Speaker 3: Ability to be self aware of what's working, what's not working, and the ability to adapt, especially in critical situations as you move forward season after season Uh, the thing that's hot one year ain't gonna be hot the next.
Speaker 2: But it seems like this this.
Speaker 3: Mike McDonald to Michigan Baltimore defense, that's that's the next big thing. And the fact that you have Jesse Minter at the controls who who was I think he was a secondary's coach for a couple of seasons in Baltimore.
Speaker 1: Money, Yeah, he was on the Baltimore staff for a few years. He was the DC at Van Dy and then became the DC at Michigan and and you know, for the last two years he said the best defense in the nation. And that's a big reason why Michigan ended up winning a national championship and went to the playoffs and back to back years, so, you know, and beat Ohio State three years in a row. So it's a huge reason why it's it's complimentary football, right, and that is that is something that we did not have here the last three years. There was zero complimentary football being played. If the offense played great and put up a ton of points, the defense gave up more. If the defense played great and held teams to a low number, and the offense tried to run a four minute offense, they couldn't couldn't run the ball. And that's why Greg Roman's coming in because the anemic rush attack of this team that prevented it from winning games, particularly a playoff game in Jacksonville when they could not run the game to maintain possession and a four score lead. You know. That's that's why Greg Roman is coming in. Fix this. Let's fit, and that's why Joe or Tiez is here, you know, fix it. Let's figure out how to get the right personnel, the right coaching, the right plays called the right you know, and and fix what has been a lack of complimentary football. And I think the reason why Ryan Ficken is staying is because that's just been the one constant the last two years. Right. Special teams has been exceptional since Tom Telesco found Cameron Dicker to settle the kicking position, you know, and Ryan Ficken brought in JK Scott from his time in Minnesota when JK was with Green Bay, and he's the one that tipped him off to that, to the coverage units, to the return units, to the drafting you know of Davis Like they've got that settled, so it's like, okay, we're good here. Now let's fix these other two, you know, to compliment this exceptional special teams. In that third phase of the game.
Speaker 3: You see Jharball going to Seattle to run the special teams there with Mike McDonald. I thought that was pretty cool as well. So let's take a quick break and then we'll bring in the man of the week Joe Ortes. All right, guys, a big thank you to our partner, Microsoft Surface, the official sideline technology provider and laptop of the NFL and the Los Angeles Chargers that provides players and coaches with the tools to succeed both on and off the field. Check out the powerful Surface Pro nine, combining the power of a laptop with the flexibility of a tablet at Surface dot com, and, as promised, the brand new GM of the LA Chargers. Joe Hartes joins us and Joe, you got us fired up with your presser. My first question to you, admit, I got to see your family there and to have everybody there for such a big moment for you and do a big moment for them going cross country. What has this week been like for you?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it's been awesome.
Speaker 5: It's been a whirlwind for sure, you know, get the call on Monday, you know, get it kind of finalized on Monday night, and then packing up in Baltimore. You know, twenty six years of packing in an office, you get a dumpster and you realize you don't you're not taking or everything with you. So spent a couple of days packing up, saying goodbye to people in Baltimore, and then getting on the plane Wednesday and hitting the ground running Thursday morning. So kind of got going and my wife was great, She's like, you know, we'll come out on Monday. Let you I know, you got to jump right in and work and we'll come out Monday. And it was great to see them and for them to experience that moment was awesome, really amazing. You know, we walked in you know that we got the rain coming, yeah, you know, you know the storms, the commute, you know, you're not sure who's going to show up. And Josh was sitting there down playing it, you know, like, hey, you know, I just don't know how many people are gonna be there. We've had some people canceled then walk in the room, and most of the Chargers organizations in there. There's good attendance for the media and it's like whoa.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: So my wife was just you know, it probably overwhelmed a little bit. She's like, I know, I wasn't smiling when I walked in because I was so in all of everything that was there. But sent me a great text yesterday that just she hadn't had a chance to process everything and uh, just the magnitude of it, and sitting on the plane flying home, you know, realizing what just took place in processing it and how impactful it was to her, and you know, she said, I'm just so happy we're Chargers and that, you know, I just you know, warms my heart and gets me wanted to hug her, but she's on a plane flying back to Baltimore, so you know, but it was great. The boys had an awesome time. You know, got some jerseys, some pictures, some gear. They're in the player's locker room playing Xbox, you know, FIFA, and you know, so they just they're really excited and special moment for my family, for sure.
Speaker 1: I get Joe that there's you know, thirty two of these, so each one of them is special. There's so few of them, and anybody's fortunate enough to get one of them, especially as long as you've worked to get to the top of this mountain in personnel. But when you heard the Chargers job was open, what kind of what's the first thing? You know, I'm not asking you to rank them in order. Hey, this is what attracted me. But what jumps out at you is why this is a great job for you.
Speaker 5: Well, I think when when it first opens up, you know they have a quarterback like that, you don't have to fix that problem. You know there that you know you are set there, So that's right away makes it attractive. Then you start doing your research, you know on the team, uh, the ownership.
Speaker 4: I know, I knew John from the road so and I've.
Speaker 5: Always had a great rapport and relationship with them out on the road.
Speaker 4: And it's just friendly.
Speaker 5: It's John and I aren't best friends, you know, you know, we're just acquaintances that respect one another and so, but always had a great day with them when I was together with them.
Speaker 4: So those are the two things that popped in my head.
Speaker 5: And then obviously you start looking at what they're going to do with who they're targeting, and you know, once they hired Jim, he kind of completes the full circle. You know, and I really meant it when I said it. Like every scout, you know, we say great ownership, great QB, great head coach. And I have friends that are general managers and they said, listen, you know, don't take a job where you don't believe in ownership.
Speaker 4: You know, it's not worth it.
Speaker 5: And I'm like, well, it's not worth it to you because you're in a general manager role again, Matt, like you said, there's only thirty two of them, But having gone through the process a couple of times, you know, like you do see the difference of owners and there's a lot of great owners out there, and I had the opportunity to interview.
Speaker 4: With some great owners in the past.
Speaker 5: Didn't work out for me in terms of getting the jobs, but you know, to sit there with the Spanos family and this organization when I came in and to feel it. I knew it in the zoom. Like I told my wife, I said, this place is special. I could feel it. I could feel it in the zoom and couldn't wait to get an invite back out here to be in person, and it just carried over so that just kind of stealed the deal in the end.
Speaker 4: But certainly the quarterback was a first thing that jumps out to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, Joe, we talked about all the jobs and the way things are structured throughout the NFL, and just the connection between you and Jim, the fact that John was in Baltimore, and you know, just the fact that you guys want to play football the same way. Sometimes you don't get that connectivity between ownership, front office, head coach, and sometimes it's a delicate thing.
Speaker 2: Why was this so perfect for you?
Speaker 4: Yeah? You know, I think you.
Speaker 5: Know, Jim and John they're certainly different, but they think alike in terms of football. You know, they want to build a big, fast, physical, tough team. That's what we've always been about in Baltimore, you know, prior to John. John just came in, just tied it up, you know, and like it was like a tremendous leader and motivator and really inspired us as scouts to be to go out there and get the best players we can get that really fit our scheme.
Speaker 4: I think Jim is the same way. I mean, he's looking at me.
Speaker 5: He's nothing but a winner, you know, and and but they think the same way. So for me walking in here, the staff he's putting together. I'm aligned with them already. I've been raised in the same you know formula, you know, or the same you know, organizational philosophy. So we're going to hit the ground run and try to find our types of players.
Speaker 1: You know. You know there's people talk about coaches and scheme, and you know, this coach runs this particular type of scheme. This is how they want to play football. I think it often gets overlooked in front offices. Certain front offices draft a certain way. You know, they draft first rounders like you don't rarely see them stray from the lines. You know, they're taking old lineman, They're taking d lineman in the first round if they've got a quarter that's what they're doing. Is there something to that is? You know, just kind of because I just think of the way that you built in Baltimore and you know, drafting a center in the first round a couple of years ago. How important that position is? I guess that's kind of where my head's going. Joe just we got to see how important Corey Linsley was to this team and what happened when he wasn't there. Nothing against will clap at all, did a great job filling in, but course special, Like, is there something to that from a front office? Hey, this is sort of a philosophy that we believe in and where we've got to build a team first before we can get success anywhere else.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think there are I think there are different philosophies in terms of how to build a team.
Speaker 4: I think you can see that through the league.
Speaker 5: Like you mentioned, Matt, you know, in Baltimore we believed in being strong upfront on both sides of the ball. You know, you control the line of scrimmage, you control the tempo of the game, you win the time of possession. Our best teams in Baltimore always had strong offensive lines and offensive line depth and have been able to stop the run.
Speaker 4: Are the years we've struggled in Baltimore.
Speaker 5: Whether it be due to injuries or maybe we just didn't have as good a talent up front. You notice that, you know, hey, we're well weak on the right side of the offensive line, or we're a little weak at center or left guard, or we rarely have been weak at left tackle.
Speaker 4: We played with Jo for a long time and now with pet Ronnie, and.
Speaker 5: But you see it, you know, you see it affect you as an offense. So that's one thing I believe in. I know Gym has always put together great offense the lines at all the places he's been, But yeah, you control the off Nothing gets done without a great offensive line. You know, if you're getting quarterback hit, you can't throw it. If you can't create lanes, you can't run it. You know, So put together a stronger offensive line and build from there.
Speaker 3: You know, Money and I a couple of weeks ago, we're just talking about different different pieces on this team that we know, you know are going to be here, from Rashawn Slater to Toutley to a Polo to Derwin James. Obviously you've seen these guys and you scouted these guys. When I say the name Rashaun Slater or Toulee or Darwin, I mean I feel like these are game changing guys. How do you assess this roster starting with some of those cornerstone pieces.
Speaker 4: Joe, Yeah, I think you know one.
Speaker 5: As we get the staffs together, uh, they evaluate him from the coaching standpoint, And certainly I've already evaluated this team.
Speaker 4: I actually advanced them last year.
Speaker 5: You know, when when Baltimore is getting ready to play them and so and then obviously prepping for the opportunity. You watch them film on him. You get to see the players again. You know, Tully was a guy obviously is a rookie this year. Uh, fun player to watch in college. Was a big fan of his in college, and he kind of did what you thought he'd.
Speaker 4: Do in the pros.
Speaker 5: You know, does he have a home, I don't know, but he plays anywhere, and he plays hard and he plays he's productive.
Speaker 4: So yeah, you know, but that's what you want in defensive players, especially along the front.
Speaker 5: You want some versatility guy that can set an age, move inside, rush inside. You know, those are the types of players you really like to have. And then with Rashaan, you know you got gotta protect you know, Justin's blindside, you know, and consistently consistent producer, performer out there on the left side.
Speaker 4: And it's it's it's a.
Speaker 5: Lot of it's a lot of fun to walk in and see some pieces like that. You know, again, I talked about this team. A lot of gms walk into a place that needs need.
Speaker 4: A lot of help. This isn't one of those places.
Speaker 5: Derwin had a chance to meet him yesterday spend some time with him.
Speaker 4: Oh, it was great. It was great. The just the end the room, you know, like me and him and Jim were just in there. Tito was in there with us and we were just Jesse was in there.
Speaker 5: We're just chopping it up and just the excitement you know that, you know, and you felt it like the presence with Jim and them, and they were feeding off each other.
Speaker 4: So it's it's gonna be It's gonna be a lot of fun. Uh. You know.
Speaker 5: The players are the ones that have been around. You see him buying in right away, and I just can't wait to watch it, watch it come together out there on the field.
Speaker 1: I want to focus on a word you just said. Their energy, and that is something you feel when you're in Derwin's presence. It's special. It is How how important is that because you know, I just kind of think about the teams in the super Bowl right now, and I think about energy from Nick Bosa, energy from George Kittle. You know, we see Patrick mahomes Man. I don't know if there's a more positive energy bringing energy to a team guy than than him. When you hear those micd ups, just is that something that that you can find before you draft, before you sign. And how important do you believe that that particular you know, personality trait is to success for a team?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I think it's huge.
Speaker 5: Like a scouts, we go into into schools and we talk about that, and you hear their sources and the coaches and the people they that work with the players tell you, man, you know he's an energy giver or people feed off of him, you know. And you know you don't have to be articulate and verbose and to be a motivator. You know, you can just get out there and lead and just have the spirit and passion and love of the game and players feed off of that and feel it. And uh and then in reverse, you know, an opposite you can have. You can be an We call it an energy vampire.
Speaker 4: You know, someone steals it out of the room.
Speaker 5: And uh, you know, we don't want those, you know, we want we want players that are passionate and it bleeds, it leads through their pores and and and you feel it.
Speaker 3: Joe, the fact that you've done every job in the NFL and you were with one organization for such a long time. I know you spoke to this on Tuesday. But just the perspective you have from being a scout to just everybody in that organization, Like you've done that job or you know of that job very well.
Speaker 2: How is that going to serve.
Speaker 3: You in this new role knowing that you've been into other people's shoes and you can empathize with some of the challenges they may have or some of the things that they need to do in their role.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, so I think that's how exactly how it does help me. Like, as you just stated, I can tell a scout a personnel assistant, hey, this might be a better way. You know, I know you're doing this, why I've done this, this is how I've done it, this is how I would do it. You know, same with scouts. I understand the challenge of scouting. You know, you leave your house August first, or I really in the end of July. You go to training camp for a couple of weeks, and then you get out on the road. You maybe come home for two days, and you're on the road for twenty one and you're back home after two days, and then it becomes a two week cycle.
Speaker 4: Where you're away, you're away from your wife, your kids.
Speaker 5: If you have a family, and if you're single, it's just you're out on the road grinding and you just never get back home.
Speaker 4: And so it's a grind. You got your work until midnight. So you know, I can help.
Speaker 5: Them because I've been in their shoes and directors of college scouting, you know, I've worked alongside directors are pro watched how they've done things. You know, so every having been able to go through all those roles and really you know, learning and being complete in that role before I took the next step.
Speaker 4: You know, it didn't rush through anything.
Speaker 5: Always tried to absorb from Eric and Ozzy along the way, and Eric was a great mentor for me, as was Ozzie. And so you know, George Cokeenis is a great friend of mine and mentor. We've kind of worked side by side for the past six years. But along the way we've always always been like just a big brother to me. And and you know, so you try to give that back and I've always tried to do that with our scouts, and I'll continue to do it in my current role.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna focus on that one name, Ozzie, just because I don't know if there ever was or ever will be someone better to to do it, just to can assistency the rare misses. You know, maybe it's not home runs, but man, there's a lot of and there were home runs obviously, but there's just every everything's a double. There's no strikeouts, double off the walls. Good, Yeah, exactly. We would always say you, as someone that covered the draft for all those years at NFL Network, we would always say, as we're in the midst of the draft, that guy fall to Baltimore, They how did they? And it's not because they fell to you, It's because the Ravens manipulate the board on like any other team, it was just a constant owait, they're going back, noe, Now they're back up, Now they're back. And that wasn't just the first round, it was every round. So I'm sure you know that's something that Ozzie, you know, imparted on all you guys, And why doesn't everybody do it? How hard is it to do it to try to make sure that you kind of get that balance of not just always moving back, but just kind of you know, manipulating the board where it seems to always work out for the Ravens.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think you know, it's like going back.
Speaker 5: I mean, you gotta have a trade partner, right, but you've got to be willing to and and you've got to be prepared to go back. I think that's probably And again I've only been in one war room, Matt so with Ozzie and it was first it was Phil. Now you know, with Eric for really twenty plus years, twenty years. But you know the preparation that goes into it to be ready on draft day. The answers are already made on draft day, the game plan, the strategies. I think that you're prepared for every scenario.
Speaker 4: You don't.
Speaker 5: You don't just sit there waiting to pick at five, ten, fifteen, thirty two, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: And just I'm just going to wait to pick. You got to be ready to say, hey.
Speaker 5: If if, what, where's the cutoff where we would go up and trade for a player? If these eight players fall, We're sitting at thirty two and these eight players.
Speaker 2: Fall, where would we go?
Speaker 4: How high would we are we willing to go up to get them?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 4: And in the same.
Speaker 5: Token, if you're going to trade back, you know, okay, which players are will we not trade away from you know, these are locks to be chargers if they're there. If they're not there, this is if these players are there, we trade away from them.
Speaker 4: You know, And how far back do you want to go?
Speaker 5: You have to have a plan, And I think Ozzy and Eric have done a masterful job of that. And I got to sit there and watch it and learn and I'll do hopefully be able to be equally as good as them. But you know, they set the bar very very high.
Speaker 1: You know, Hey, Chris, I'm gonna just jump in again just because I think, you know, the draft has become such it's it's so important to fans. It's crazy how popular it's become. Is you know, I remember the first time we did the combine, we did a live stream on NFL dot com and it ended up being the most watched event in NFL dot com history. We had like seventy countries watching the combine at the same time, and like one point six million people were tuned into that particular stream. Is you know, it's me and Bucky and Maurice Jones, Drew and I and we're all just there. At the end of the forty yard dash line, I kept saying, what are these people watching, why would they be interested in this? But they are. And I would love for you to explain something that you brought up in the press or and that's comppicks and why they're so expensed, because I don't think people listening and watching quite understand exactly how that formula works, why it's so important, and why it became a big part of the lifeblood of the success of the Ravens.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So like with the compics, it's really just managing your roster and.
Speaker 4: Knowing who is going to generate a compic.
Speaker 5: I think we did a great job with that valuation expectations. And there's times like you know, we go into free agency. We want to keep players in LA here. We want to keep the Chargers the Chargers when we can, but there's going to come a point with the salary cap, you're going to lose some players.
Speaker 4: And you know that.
Speaker 5: And it's it's managing the signings versus the losses in free agency, and they put them in buckets in terms of you know, what they say I'm for, So you just kind of you gotta know, Okay, if we sign this player, he's going to cancel out him, you know, and the and.
Speaker 4: The tier, you know, So definitely one of those things.
Speaker 5: Once you create that cycle of compicts, once you start getting them, all of a sudden, you get three compicts on top of your seven draft picks, that's ten players that you potentially could ride through for four years.
Speaker 4: Well there, some of them aren't going to be back, you know.
Speaker 5: You just you're gonna pay the great ones and and the very good ones, and you're gonna you may lose some very good ones because you just can't afford them all. So you hit on picks, you get more chances, and then you just replenishes itself every every four years, so to speak.
Speaker 4: But it really becomes every year of replenishment. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think one of the things you said tuesday, Joe, that fired up the fans was just every pick matters in the draft, and obviously the Chargers. I don't think when we when we started the season, we envisioned the Chargers picking number five overall in this draft. But just focusing on that picture for a second, because obviously there's some quarterbacks at the top, and there's gonna be some teams one a quarterback. Five just becomes that much more attractive in terms of getting a blue chip player or the possibilities that come with it. You know, I think you spoke to it's it's very rare to have a top five pick, especially coming from the Ravens organization. Just how unique is this draft going to be for you being that it's your first one and you start pretty early.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I definitely we won't be sitting around waiting very long, that's for sure. I mean, you know, now we've done it one time in Baltimore we had the fifth pick.
Speaker 4: And we've had it twice.
Speaker 5: Actually, I think it was my second draft two thousand drafts we actually had the fifth pick and then we got the tenth pick as well, or we had the tenth pick and got the fifth pick. But yeah, you definitely don't wait as long, but you want to get it right.
Speaker 4: You got to nail it if you use it, and.
Speaker 5: Then if not, at the phone rings you get an opportunity to move back, you know, the way the offers. But certainly a lot of excitement knowing that we're gonna have an opportunity to get a really special player here if we pick at five, and if we don't, we we'll get some more players, you know, So again that's the whole the whole plan.
Speaker 4: You know, who are the guys we take? We're taking? Are we willing to.
Speaker 5: Walk away from a player? We'll see how the quarterbacks come off the board. Uh certainly think there's three or or four that could go really early in this draft. So you know, we'll see, Uh, we'll see how that all happens. But got plenty of time for that, you know, a lot. We're not gonna have to wait long once the draft click kicks off, But we got a little bit of time if you know, we don't get too excited too early.
Speaker 4: You know, you got no doubt pace, you know, build yourself to that.
Speaker 1: You know, Hey, as far as we're concerned, there's there's five quarterbacks in the draft, and all you teams that don't have one, you're gonna want to come up and get it, and you're gonna want to pay it is. I'll tell you what.
Speaker 5: It's a good quarterback here, you know, I mean the teams that need quarterbacks, it's a good quarterback here, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: You know. The you know you talked about the staff and and how that was priority won right, make sure you kind of get this. The coaching staff settled how much changes because you oversee all of it, you know, for the draft, and we got a long way to go. Obviously the combine hasn't even shown up yet the time we're doing this, but you know, the game completed, you've got all your film, Like, how much work have you I assume it's a considerable amount. Have you already done it? Does it change because you're at a new place, Like the way you evaluate or value these players with these coaches, with the pieces you already have, does that change at all? Or is the evaluation the evaluation no matter where you are.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the evaluations the evaluation no matter where you are. Now, the staff you have and what they want to play for them, the types of linebackers, d linemen, you want, types of corners you want that can change offensive line, wide receivers. All that can change when you go to new staffs and bring in new staffs. I've experienced it in Baltimore. We've had different coaches and coordinators that have come in that may have wanted.
Speaker 4: To shift the type of player we have, and you just adjust, you know. And I remember one.
Speaker 5: Year we went from we were a gap you know, power run game, gap scheme and and I think it was in February March we made a decision to go to a wide zone running scheme, and it's like, okay, you know that's so we've already had our February meetings, you know, with a scouts and it's like, all right, guys, you know that that big guard that can roll off the ball and mall three technique, he might not be the guy that we want here in Baltimore anymore. So yeah, he certainly have to adjust. But you got to know what plays in each scheme. I think the coaches, you know, conveying that to us, communicating it to us helps us evaluate the players that fit what they want to do.
Speaker 2: Joe final one.
Speaker 3: For me, you come from a brutal division where you really I think at one point all four teams could have made the playoffs. The AFC West has been tough, but it's always going through Kansas City, and when you have a quarterback, you've got a chance, and obviously the quarterback here you always have a chance. How would you assess this AFC West starting with Kansas City and you got Sean Payton in the division, the Raiders making moves. It's a very interesting four teams here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I think with any division, all right, any division, we've seen it. Certainly Kansas City there the standard right now, and they're consistent winners. And that's what that's what every organization should be, you know, aspiring to be a.
Speaker 4: Team that consistently competes to win championships. And that's what we're going to do here and uh and but they do it, you.
Speaker 5: Know, excellent evaluation, excellent scouting. I know a lot of their scouts. They're all in sync with one another. And that's what we want to build here. When you watch divisions, when you watch teams, they Sean Payton certainly has a track for a great track record of success. And you see the improvement Oakland's made as well over the past couple of years with in terms of adding players, and everyone's striving to get better. And a division can turn just like that. And you you look across the league. Heck, I think the NFC East, who was No.
Speaker 4: One won the division. There was no repeat winner for I don't know how long it was, but it was on the top of years or ten years. And you get a lot of worse the first team.
Speaker 5: So that can happen in an instant and you know, it can be done with players, it can be done with new schemes, it can be done with the new mentality, a bunch of different ways. So I know we're gonna focus here with the Chargers on being the best we can be, all right, and we're gonna try to get better every single day. But we want our players trying to get better every day. We want our scouts trying to get better every day, and we want to try to improve this roster every single day. And we're gonna keep doing that and hopefully one day we're at the top, you know. And that's our goal, and we're gonna work hard to get there as fast as we can. But we know, we know we got great teams we're going up against twice a year that are that are in the.
Speaker 1: Way for sure, Hey, almost certainties right. In the NFL, every year four new teams go in, four teams fall out of the playoffs, and every year a division sees a team go worse the first why Chargers, It's crazy. Every year I'll finish, I'll finish with this, Joe, I get. I have the great pleasure to do the games with Daniel Jeremiah, one of my absolute favorite people, Uh in the world. You had a chance to work with them. With Phil you mentioned Phil Savage. Uh kind of brought you guys, And I don't know if I'm saying, like, give me a story, if you can just share, you know what what your experience was, like the very young just cutting his teeth of both of you, Daniel Jeremiah way back in the day with the Ravens.
Speaker 2: A good DJ story.
Speaker 4: You know, I don't have any like one.
Speaker 5: I'll never say anything negative about DJ, so it's always going to be positives of DJ.
Speaker 4: One.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: I don't know how if you guys know how good of an athlete he is.
Speaker 4: I mean he is.
Speaker 5: I never played. I'm not a hooper, all right. I can't shoot to save my life. But I go down there and watch and play hoops and all that. But we got we all of us scouts during training camp, just you find something to compete with, right, and we would play.
Speaker 1: Walk football.
Speaker 5: Okay, it turned it went from walk football into running football. But we started by playing walk football. And so I'm having to cover Daniel, and Daniel's like speed walking and I'm like I'm almost having to.
Speaker 4: Jog to keep up with him.
Speaker 5: But he's so he's taller than me and longer than me. So even if I'm on his hip, he's just catching mall send me this. So then when you say, you know, I'm like, forget this walk stuff, Let's just run, you know. And so again I'm like the fastest guy on my team and I have to cover Daniel, And I'm like, this is not working, man.
Speaker 4: Can we double cover him?
Speaker 5: Can we put his I get some safety help over the top, you know, I mean.
Speaker 4: He's absolutely torching me. Give me some help. You know, I can't do it, you know, you know, so I try. I kept trying and trying and trying.
Speaker 5: I just couldn't keep up with him. So uh, but just a great, great person, a great friend. Love talking players with them. Although I have to tighten that up a little bit, you know, but no, just just we we uh we always have had a great time together. And he loves what he does and evaluating players. I love what I do and evaluating players and scouting and but just.
Speaker 4: A special person. Glad.
Speaker 5: I'm glad he's around. I was really fired up he showed up at the press conference. Meant a lot to me. Uh, He's giving me some good advice through the uh, the uh interview.
Speaker 4: Process that maybe I'll tell you guys some other time, but uh, you know, it was, it was, it was.
Speaker 5: It's been great to have him in my corner here and to see him the other day was just awesome, special moment.
Speaker 1: Well, if you uh don't know how good of an athlete DJ is, just ask him. Joe.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it, Joe, Joe. This has been This has been amazing.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: It's just the the energy over the last week from from Jim's presser to yours and just to see how how fired up the city is. To see what you guys do this offseason beyond has been very very cool and refreshing and uh, we're just so happier in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: And appreciate your time, man, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Man, I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: You know, the work is hard, but the game is fun, right, you know, so exactly have fun. You know, let's keep the energy up and that's what we're gonna do here. You know, we're gonna have fun competing and work hard.
Speaker 3: So buddy, it's just like talking to an old buddy. He's just a great dude and I'm so glad he's part of the Chargers. Wow.
Speaker 1: Look, I think that's that's a big part of it, you know, and I think he's he talked about that in his presser and it's communicat you know, you can clearly see first time we've ever talked to him on the pod, the communication skills, the comfortability, the familiarity that you feel like you have with him even though you just met him. So that goes a long way in making you know, you you asked it straight out the you know, the first question about his family, and he you know, pointed to this is a family. That's that's just way that you spend so much time together when you work for a professional football team that you start to feel like, well, I'm closer to these people some gervery than I have my family because I see him more, I'm with them more, I'm on the road with them, I'm you know, at the office from six am until eight pm every single day. So that's an important part of it, you know, to wanting as a scout to be on the road for twenty one days to help this guy do his job as general manager. And you know, certainly it appears though he's going to set a very you know, a great tone for those guys to know they're appreciated and to want to work hard to deliver for this regime and for this team to be as great as as we think they can be.
Speaker 3: Well, hopefully we'll catch you with Joe in a few weeks at the combine. Uh, We're gonna have a great week in Indy more than one episode of Charges Weekly. I promise we'll talk to a lot of folks there in a couple of weeks, and I'm sure next week Money, we can really dig into the coaching staff. I'm sure at that point next Thursday, we'll have a list of all the coaches and responsibilities and we can dive in a little.
Speaker 1: Bit more, no doubt, looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: Cool. All right, guys for Money, I'm Chris. This has been Charges Weekly. We'll see you next week.