Speaker 1: And That's what You Really Missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin An iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to and That's What You Really miss Podcast. We have something very special for you today.
Speaker 2: Wow wow. We have one of I think the most memorable and important songs and performances ever did, which was coughs Europe. And we have Semere, the lead singer of Young the Giant with us too. You whage to talk about that entire thing. And I'm just so excited and so nervous. I've seen them live before. I'm so jealous that I used to listen to them on repeat. Yeah, I mean when we were starting, Like remember the first or second year, I got to go to the VMA's they performed oh wow this song before we used it, so it was this is very very cool. I'm gonna try to try to play it cool. Yeah. But without further ado, here is Semir from Young the Giant. Hey there, how's it going good? How are you good? We have done over like one hundred episodes and my boyfriend here if you can see him. Austin has been not interested in sitting in one of them never and I knew. I was, like, I guess who we have today. A couple of years ago, you were performing at the Ohana Fest in LA outside of La and Diana Agron, who was on Glee, she was there and she I told her, I was like, Austin's favorite band is performing, and I told her it was you guys, and She's like, oh, well, let me see if I can get you guys on stage. So then we stood on the side of the stage and watched you, and I was like, I am good for life, for gifts, I never do anything again. And so I had him, So he's here. How did it sound on side stage? The side stage was a little weird? Yeah, yeah, I was like, damn, but I was just I have pictures of him like sitting like like on the cases, just like watching you guys. Remember that show. He's a gigantic, gigantic fan.
Speaker 1: Give me here, Austin. This is Austin. Hi, Austin, Hey, Austin, embarrass yourself. Please embarrass yourself, Austin.
Speaker 2: I don't know you're massive fan.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to play it cool, but I'm literally just trying not to pass out because I seriously love you guys.
Speaker 2: I love you so much. I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Really, Yeah, I don't out like this often, but for real, for real as smile, so.
Speaker 2: Beautiful.
Speaker 3: Never Matter is like one of my favorite albums of all time.
Speaker 4: So I appreciate it. Thank you, thank you so much. We're going to do actually a ten year we haven't really released it yet, but we're going to do ten year anniversary of the second record and maybe do a secret show in La somewhere. So if you're around, you guys should get some tickets and we'll figure something out.
Speaker 3: Amazing And yeah, I saw you at Amba a while ago. This was years ago, but I think.
Speaker 2: We're going to do a front to back of the whole second record.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I'll be there.
Speaker 3: Yeah cool, thanks, Now get out of here, Hi asked, thanks for that.
Speaker 1: No, of course, so sweet never He doesn't care about anyone now. She really barely cares about Kevin. So yeah, well, it's so great to have you. Yes, yes, it's so nice to have you here. We're so excited to talk to you about coughs, your up and about your life and your artistry because you are really you have a voice of a generation. It's really really an angel, I know, truly, you kidding me. It's infuriating.
Speaker 2: I'm glad I didn't have to come or one of your songs. Darren and I still text every now and then, you know, oh yeah, that's awesome. I ran into him every now and then.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, a cross.
Speaker 2: He just he pops up in all the random places. Yeah that was everyone. Yes, so true.
Speaker 1: Okay, So tell me about Do you remember when you got the request to cover Coughs Syrap on the show?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I do. It was very early on in our career.
Speaker 4: You know. Obviously Coughs Euroup was on the first record, and I think it was about maybe twenty at the time, maybe twenty one. Things are moving really fast, you know. I think it took many years for me to process all the things that happened really in such a short period of time. But that was a huge moment.
Speaker 2: I remember.
Speaker 4: At first, you know, we were aware of the show. I hadn't actually seen much of it, but when we were given the treatment and how the song would be placed, we felt it was a really important message is something that we stood behind as a band. So we were excited to do that and that was a time for the music industry in general. But us, you know, being so young and very like kind of heady time for indie rock music, and there were a lot of things that we were not cool with doing, and but that was something that we were all unanimously like, you know, this is absolutely.
Speaker 2: Something we want to do.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: How special I mean, especially because like I think there were around that time a couple rock bands that were not and indie bands that were not allowing us to do their music, and so I think it was like just extra special and great of you guys too, you know, give the thought to in consideration to how the song's actually being used, and especially in that crazy time in your guys's life, tell us do the song because ended up being such a monumental moment in the history of the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and absolutely, And I think a lot of that that time has changed, and I think for mostly for all for better. Really it was a kind of a snobby time, and I'm just happy now that people enjoy things that make them feel good and cathartic and and honest, and so it was something that you know, I'm happy we are in some ways, I missed those old days of just the way things were, but I'm also very happy for where we're at right now.
Speaker 1: What did you think of the cover when you heard it for the fort when you guys heard it for the first time and or saw it with the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I thought Darren really did justice to the song, even the track itself. The musicianship was they tried to pay as much respect to the way we've done it.
Speaker 2: And I actually re.
Speaker 4: Watched it today at earlier and there are even some like little little things that he did. There were almost to a t, you know, the the recording, and it was cool to see him pay that much attention to those little differences.
Speaker 2: You know, No, for sure, that's what we had the executive music producer on here a couple of weeks ago. We were asking because some of the tracks sound so similar to the original versions, like are you getting the stems? Like how is this happening? Like No, most of the time we didn't. We just had to like do it by ear. Yeah, and also you know, but the vocal production was the same thing, and it was I find that amazing mind boggling.
Speaker 4: No, truly, I don't know the only way I could tell really, I mean, some of the guitar tones were spot on, some of the drum fills just a little bit different. And you know, say, you know, you know, I know Frank Soois, I know exactly how he drums the fills that he does, Like that's not a Francois feel right?
Speaker 1: You would mentioned earlier, and I'm just curious you had mentioned, like vig Glee was one of the things that unanimously the band was like, cool, we'll do that. You had mentioned some things that you wouldn't do back in that time. Do you mind elaborating on what that means?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it was just that moment where artists were really starting to have their music placed in commercials, in television, movies, and even shortly before this, hardly anyone was doing it. And I think that has a lot to do with the way the economics of everything were and you know, sinking publishing weren't as necessary forms, and also television from its previous era was so different. I think that a lot of musicians, the old Legacy acts especially refused there was like zero tolerance for any any placements on anything, you know, especially commercials. I mean that was you know, that was the first moment. You know, Black Keys and Phoenix like their songs around beer commercials, car commercials and things like that. And that even you know, a year or two prior to that, that was unheard of, and so yeah, it also just opened up a new way of economics because of just the way the music industry was shifting at that time. And now you know, it's like, you're not you're not cool if you don't get those placements, you know, So it's a it's a completely different world.
Speaker 2: It's crazy how quickly that's changed too. I feel like this was like the end of that era and the ushering in of the start of the new era of Yeah, like sure why not. Streaming was also relatively new ish. Yes, absolutely, I think there's a distrust for certain things. But at the same time, I think it was guided some from a place of fear and from a place of what indie rock was supposed to be. I think that was very alpha male, you know, hetero and white culture. And even now, I was so young at the time, I didn't fully, like consciously think of it that way, but now looking back, you know, it really was. There was this rule.
Speaker 4: Of, you know, how to be in the boys club, and we never quite fit into that. And I think in the beginning of our career that you know, maybe annoyed us a little bit, but I think it's become our strength and I think it's the reason why we're still around. And songs like Mind over Matter have found their audience now to a younger generation of people who don't really care about that as much and more care about, you know, honest emotion and communicating feelings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I imagine too. Nowadays it's like, if you find the song, you find the song. It doesn't matter how it's getting to you. And so I think from an artist perspective as well, it's like, yes, you're worry about the sink and the license and are you selling out quote unquote, But it's also another way, like Glee was to expose people who might not have heard this music before, and just because they haven't doesn't mean they're not going to relate to it, absolutely find an interest in it and hear themselves in it. Yeah, I mean that.
Speaker 4: You know, when Glee played the song, I mean that was a huge moment for the song, right.
Speaker 2: I think it's done a.
Speaker 4: Lot for the legacy of the of Cops Europe, and we're obviously thankful for that.
Speaker 2: It was also like we normally did classic rock songs or huge pop hits. And I remember when when we get the script on, like the second page of the script is all the songs are doing. Seeing it, I mean like, oh, we could do a cool song truly, Yeah, like this it felt like we got let into the cool club, like yes, yes, we get to do it, And it just felt like a really important moment. I think for us too. Obviously we weren't even singing the song, but like, oh, we get to be associated with it because we're on the show. I might claim, well, guess who let us do their song now? Yeah, yeah, so that was monumental for us. Even I appreciate that.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't think at the time, you know, I don't think we thought this song was cool per se. We've you know, you talk to most artists and they have these complexes about their most successful songs. Tends to be that you don't like them, you know. Yeah, And I think over time, maturing and growing, we've learned to appreciate those moments because you know, they're Remember when we were working with Joe Chickrelli, our first producer. He had just worked with Jack White a lot. They were doing a lot of things together, Jack White and even John Mayer recently has been talking about this kind of anti music writing type of thing where you just need to trust strong emotions. You know, So if you hate something that you create, it's almost the same feeling as if you love it, because it's sharing a part of yourself and maybe that you're afraid to share with share with other people. And I think the thing you should be afraid of is, you know, not feeling that much about any what you're writing. And I think that time there was something about that song that was revealing a part of ourselves that maybe we weren't ready to reveal to the world. And so but we've most definitely learned to appreciate it. And you know, nowadays, you know, people are singing along to the song like every word and it's amazing to see that.
Speaker 2: What was the inception of coughs Europe? So when we were the Jakes, there was.
Speaker 4: We were called the Jakes shortly before Young the Giant, and it was this lineup, but the Jakes that existed as kind of a high school band, and we were trying to start a new lineup and a new approach. So there's our young new guitarist, Eric Kanatta came in and he had the guitar lick and he had the verse first line, and it was that moment we're like, okay, I think, I think you're gonna be a great part of this band. And he brought that song in and at that time we were still just jamming in the living room or garage, and we were still in the process of figuring out what our sound was. But the song came together in one rehearsal. That first lyric then moved itself to, you know, the full lyrics of the verse, and then the chorus I you know, just came up, came out of nowhere, and I think the lyrics, you know, you you always try and add meaning to things later on. It's what I find with a lot of the great or successful things. But you know, it comes from a place if you're not really thinking too much about it. It's something that sounds nice and then you're surprised by how much it actually means, how much it means to you, the things that you're saying that just kind of come out of your mouth. And at that time especially, I considered my vocals more of an instrument as opposed to just like me telling a story per se, so the the lyrics were kind of just a vehicle to share that instrument and for us, you know, the song even at that moment, I don't think we consciously thought of what it meant to us. And then when press started to ask us about it, when it became successful, the stories areted to form, and then I started really actually analyzing the lyrics that I just was just blurting out. And you know, obviously it is it's an escape from suburbia. It's a desire to be your true self and be free. And within the context of the band, it was just, you know, we were young kids kind of from all over the world who found ourselves in this kind of suburban sand pit and we wanted to get out and escape and achieve our dreams and find adventure. And you know, it was ironically it was that song that was that ticket for us to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's beautiful.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of when you're speaking about the band and your guys's craft, like it feels like there's a lot of parallels between what we went through and you guys went through similarly, like feeling like an underdog, you know, and using that as your strengths, and then you had mentioned earlier, like talking about how fast the train was that you kind of took off on and the success of it all. I'm curious what your reflections are about that, because if feels like there are so many similarities for us as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, absolutely, I mean I can totally imagine that for you all as well. I mean, Glee, you know, just really exploded for me. You know, it seems like overnight. Everything seems like overnight when you're not a part of the wrong process of creating it right, and then there is this motivation to prove yourself. There's a you know, chip on your shoulder to prove what this is, what it means to you and what it can mean to the world. And when you're young, I think there's there needs to be a healthy dose of that. But then at a certain point it can become self destructive. And I'm trying to almost retrain myself even now to not function from just purely a place of like this desire to prove myself, you know, because I still feel that way, and I feel like many artists do feel that way, and that's important to a certain extent. But then if you don't temper that with some other positive emotions. Then you're just kind of bitter and jaded, cynical about everything. And I think, you know, just looking back on that time, it was I guess I don't want to say lucky, right, I want to say we were very fortunate to be a part of something. About what I do remember and I'm just even now working on our sixth record, the things that I take away was and this kind of sounds like a little out there. I mean, I'm from Los Angeles, not that crazy. I truly believe in and when you realize something, when you truly believe something can happen without any doubts in your mind, those things tend to work out because you're aligning all of your intention towards that goal. And the first record, I mean, no one believed in us except for ourselves. We believe in ourselves. Ultimately, like to the we just knew that it was going to happen, even though now you know, with more experience, you realize how close we were to actually failing, like several times over the course of that first record, and it just happened to be that. There are people like, no, you know what, let's not cut it off, Let's wait one more week and then that week something happens, you know, But for us, it was just like, no, this is going to go, this is going to happen.
Speaker 2: I don't care what anyone thinks.
Speaker 4: And as you become older and become more experienced, to be truly, truly confident in yourself, it's a very difficult thing, especially when you're humble or when you feel like you're not trying to be some asshole part of my French, but you know, just be a human being and be inspired by just being a normal person. It's very easy to say, well, you know, look at things relatively, but in some ways, I think that that was a beautif full time for us, and I think that's why things also happen so quickly despite all the just the landscape of everything that was happening at the time.
Speaker 2: I think that's a really important point to talk about because when you're starting out and if you're in a band or you're by yourself in some form of let's say entertainment, there's like a fine line between you being or feeling like, oh, I'm over the confident. There's no other there's no plan B, like this is just going to work because it has to. And then also I was always really fearful of like am I delusional? Like what is this? I feel like there is such a fine line between the delusion and it's like, well, no, I just this is all I can do, all I want to do. Yeah, And like what you said, if it's the only thing you're thinking of, everything you're doing consciously and subconsciously is just working towards that, because that's all you care about, it's all you think about. And I do think especially when you have something like unique like you guys have or for bringing it to Glee, like we were all so different from one another, where when you get older and you do have that success and you look back like, oh yes, it is frighteningly close to how close we were for this not to happen. And when you get older and you have things to worry about if you get married or you have kids, or I have a house or whatever, it may be like, oh now I have these responsibilities. And back then I was just with reckless, abandoned be like this is it's gonna work. I'm gonna make this happen somehow.
Speaker 4: No, absolutely, I'm at that moment, you know, I have I have two young boys and married and bills to pay, and but I never want my creative process to be guided by that, And you have to be willing to stare it down and be like, you know what, well, if this explodes, then you have to be okay with that. I think at the same time, like there's no maybe there's no plan to be but you know, that first record, I had no expectations, none of us did. We knew, we knew something would happen, but we didn't like we were like, well, this better happened, because if it doesn't, then, you know, like there were no ifs for just we were just doing it because we that's what our imperative was to do and because we were just having a great time doing it. And now, you know, getting into the studio and writing, I think it's sometimes almost more challenging to be like, you know what, I'm just going to write a horrible song today and that's fine, and I want to feel satisfied that I wrote a bad song and that's okay, as opposed to you know, oh, man, like this isn't up to the standards of the songs that I've written before. It needs to be better, you know, because if you function from that place of fear, then it just doesn't work as soon as you just.
Speaker 2: Gotta work through the bad songs to get to the good ones.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, exactly. Everyone writes bad songs everyone.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh yeah, we can sniff out the fear now.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I'm amazed you went to Stanford for biology.
Speaker 4: To be fair, it was human biology, which was kind of like code switch for parents who wanted their kids to be on some track. It was human biology, which was secretly a Bachelor of the Arts. And there was, yes, there was some hard some hard science there to a certain but there was a lot of you know, philosophy and sociology, anthropology, psychology makes sense and you know, so like it was kind of like this whole thing. And I left so early that didn't even really officially declare my major. But yeah, I mean, I'm I really enjoyed my time there, but Young the Giant was already happening, The Jakes were already happening, and I figured it was time to leave. So I left, you know, halfway through. Was there for like not even two years, so I can't say that I am a college dropout effectively. Now, fantastic, we love that, Jenna. At least you finished. I did the same thing. I went for like a year and like thinically happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, may we all be so lucky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was an accident, happy accident. See I say it's an accident, but not really. We were all working towards that. You mentioned that. I guess at the time it was the jakes that you were doing music in college and high school. Have you do you come from a musical family where you always just music was somehow a part of your life. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Neither of my parents were professional musicians, both very passionate about music, particularly my dad. I think maybe had he come here at a different generation, he maybe would have been more willing to try. I think it just the opportunities for an immigrant in the space of music that he was interested in. There were no there were no no, there was no one, you know. Freddie Mercury was like the only person. And even then that was like kind of an almost actually not fully a generation prior, but still it was and it hadn't it wasn't around in America as deeply as was rooted, like the American tradition of music, and so he kind of, you know, he kind of did the thing that was safe and made sense for him.
Speaker 2: His his mother.
Speaker 4: Was a semi professional singer, a Bollywood singer, and she kind of got scouted when she was really young and then she had the pressure to start a family and all that stuff. So in a way, my career has been, you know, making like two generations in the process, though I'm very you know, grateful for them, and because it is, it's such a strange thing because you can be very classically trained, which I am not at all.
Speaker 2: You know I am, but you haven't.
Speaker 4: You can have an ear and an instinct and some one of the only things in my life that I just follow that instinct. And I'm probably better trained at many other things through like classically than I am with music. And it's a fine balance of wanting to learn new things and you know, explore new chordal structures and modes without like completely just destroying this kind of childlike wonder that I have going about out what I do. And I think popular music that's why there so many people who try it, who come at it as amateurs and hobbyists, and I kind of see myself as that just excited by when you combine two things together what happens?
Speaker 2: You know, was there a certain point because you talked about how, at least in Coughs here you were using your voice sort of as another instrument, and I think you tend to in all your music. Your voice does very much feel like another part. Doesn't feel separate, it feels very much another part of the track. Was there a point when you realized that, because it not most people cannot do that or don't have the instinct or desire to even I think add to a record in that way, Like, was there a point for you and you're like, oh, my voice can do these things, and so the way it blends with these things is interesting and unique, and this is how I want this to sound. Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 4: I just grew up singing, you know, of parties like Indian parties, and it's just a thing. Parents be like, Hey, my kid can dance, Mike kid can sing, and so they'd be like, yeah, assume we are dance and sing for everyone. And it was just something that you would do. And I just kind of assumed that a lot of people could sing, and I still believe that many people can. Almost everyone can, truly. But I came into music first with you know, I guess really young piano and violin, upright bass, and then I picked up the guitar. When I was eleven or twelve and my first couple of bands, I was the lead guitarist of the band, and I didn't want to be the singer because I never liked the singer and the bands I thought they were conceited and I always liked.
Speaker 2: The guitar. And it was really just.
Speaker 4: An accident, you know. I'd heard of a band called the Jakes who were looking for an extra band member. I didn't know what the part was they wanted, so I came with my guitar and they were like, well, we already have two guitarists, but we've heard through someone else that apparently you can kind of you can like keep a tune, so can you sing?
Speaker 2: And I said okay.
Speaker 4: You know, at first I was like I really don't want to be the singer, et cetera, et cetera, and then finally, you know, I did it, and and then it just kind of clicked and it felt like, Wow, this was the thing that I was I was.
Speaker 2: Meant to do.
Speaker 4: And it's pretty amazing that in many ways, like young the giant is my first musical project, you know, from two thousand and four, essentially almost twenty years now, from when I was in high school. And yeah, it was a music. Singing was just a thing that you know, I've worked upon and I think honed in on over the years, and in college and high school doing some choral chorus stuff, and at Stanford A was a part of a South African gospel choir with a lot of them amazing voices from all over the world and singing music that I wasn't really accustomed to singing, and that taught me a lot. But the voice is that one thing that you're just kind of born with and it's interesting to make my career off of something like that where it's but I'm very very blessed and grateful for that too.
Speaker 2: I love sort of the reluctant lead singer take. It's like you, I don't like how they do it, but now you're in the position You're like, well, I can make a new mold of how this can go. I still don't like. I still don't light lead lead singers. It's very hard.
Speaker 1: That's funny. How do you guys feel like you have evolved as a band.
Speaker 2: Over the year twenty.
Speaker 4: Years, we've evolved a lot. I mean we as human beings, we've evolved. We've managed to keep it together, be humble, care about the important things in life, stay grounded, and compromise with one another and not kill each other. Those are huge things success, success, and I think we've we've managed to always kind of march to the beat of our own drum. And there's always a pressure to try and it's not too late to turn around and follow.
Speaker 2: What everyone else is doing.
Speaker 4: But you know, I'm proud of us that we've taken this path that's long, slow build, that gets us to the places that we're at now, you know, ten twelve years later, being able to play at the forum here and do things like that where we have fans who really care about the music that we're making in a deep and impactful way. And I'm we've learned a lot as touring musicians and as recording artists, but every time we get in the studio, we try to, you know, try to unlearn some of the things too, because you only really know what worked and what didn't work until you've released something. To a certain extent, it's not even really how people receive it.
Speaker 2: It's more like.
Speaker 4: How you feel about it now that it's a finished body of work, you know, and so we're constantly trying to change the process and see what works for us.
Speaker 2: I imagine too, it must be really special for you what you've all known each other for so long, to see each other through all these different stages of life, you know, the guys in the garage to now touring across the world and doing these things. I mean, we've always felt that connection of when you go through something so singular, to be able to have other people that you can share that very very specific experience with is such a gift that you don't necessarily realize when you're younger, but later on it's like, oh, thank god we had each other, no, absolutely, and have each other to you know, look back on and call back, like we all went through these crazy things together. I feel like it's in a band. It must be like that tenfold absolutely. You know.
Speaker 4: We're yeah, we're no longer we're not best friends, you know, we're you know, we're brothers in so many ways, and sometimes we can't stand one another and sometimes we need a day or two, but we always end up hanging out. Even sometimes where you know, we're not on the clock, and it is amazing to have those shared stories over the years and and the experience. But yeah, that's not many people can relate.
Speaker 1: To, you know, tell us about your sixth to help them.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's very very very early on in the process. You know, we just released well, we just released a live record, our first live record we ever released. Oh you know, it's been five albums, and it was recorded over the course of this tour this last summer and includes music from all five of the records, including the most recent American Bollywood.
Speaker 2: Which is a record that.
Speaker 4: I'm and will continue to always be extremely proud of and one of my career highlights of being able to do something are truly artistic that I really wanted to do for a long time. It took me many years to make. And so I think we're just kind of all it feels like we all had a baby with this album and and with this tour so many shows, I mean fifty shows I think in.
Speaker 2: About sixty five or seventy days. Ooh, a lot, a lot of shows wild.
Speaker 4: And then Europe right after that, and obviously life changes and having kids, and I think we're now in this beginning process where we're really at the square one and again, you know, you are always staring up the face of this huge mountain that you have to scale again. You have to get yourself prepared and it's like that groundwork and that research in the beginning that can be very difficult and hard sometimes, especially for people who love you. And some days I'm just in the studio and I'm just like the grouchiest person afterwards because I'm just it's like such a process to get all your emotions out that some of it can feel very uncomfortable, but it's a necessary process and you're just kind of waiting for that that inspiration to truly hit where you finally reached a theme, and that's kind of that right now. You know, we still have a few more shows left for the year, but that's where we're at. And then we have the telling Austin. We have the ten year anniversary of Mind over Matter, and so we're going to do some secret shows around LA and do like the one because we didn't do this for the first record, live show front to back of the first record, the next day front to back of the second.
Speaker 2: So that'll be amazing, really fun process. That's exciting.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you so much for allowing us to to cough Zeerup because it was such a massive hit with the fans, and for sharing your music with us. I just really admire your intentionality in your mindfulness and your craft and in your own life. So thank you so much for sharing with us.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you, And you know, thank you for being able to talk about this years later. And I'm also grateful to Darren I've heard. I've had so many comments. I've read comments where like Darren's versions better and he's a great singer, so you know that's no shape.
Speaker 2: They're wrong. Well, I appreciate it all the same. Thank thank you so much for spending so much time with us. And also, this is our voice has changed talking to you. We don't normally. I'm like, I'm talking down here. I feel very cool, right, I'm sorry for that.
Speaker 4: We should we should hang out too, because I'm all sorts of different people throughout the day.
Speaker 1: This is greatly appreciate it. We know that that. Thank you so much to me.
Speaker 2: And hopefully see what one of your secret shows soon. Yes, I would let us hee. Wow, I'm overwhelmed. Well, the singing voice of an angel, the speaking voice of an angel.
Speaker 1: The mind of an angel, the heart of an angel. Seems like somebody I'd like to be around, so we should hang out.
Speaker 2: One, yes, we'll take them up on that. I might regret it later. Two is I didn't realize he was so young when CoP's herop came out right, and we were not far off an age.
Speaker 1: Well exactly, so you know, when he was saying that that, I was like, oh wow, they were coming up at the same time. They were young in their formative years, you know, experiencing all of this. It felt like a lot of that resonated with us.
Speaker 2: And there's also like, and we didn't talk about this, but you know, we were part of Glee, which is was part of a network. You have protection right where like part of the system, everything is in place, shows get made every day. We know how this is going to go, even if it gets really successful. When you're in a band like that, you guys, they invented this thing out of nowhere, which just from school in the garage, right, and then all of a sudden something takes off and you don't have that infrastructure because you don't have that lived experience of having done it before. It's like basically being your own showrunners. Yeah, and you're in this like rocket ship, like how do we figure this out as as we go well? And so I think that's just so impressive. And they're still around and doing so well and making like incredible music. Totally very excited, and I think it takes that type of you know, I think you when you get to a certain point to be able to think, I think that deeply about where you've been, where you want to go, where you currently are. It's such a you have to learn that and it's I think that's what makes it so sustainable and doing that in a healthy way. So it's just so nice to hear that.
Speaker 1: It was really nice to chat with him, really nice to hear from the artists and you know, behind the music. We don't get to do that a lot.
Speaker 2: Every time we've talked to one of these artists. Doesn't it make so much sense that they make the music they make. I know that sounds so dumb, No, No, it's so true.
Speaker 1: It is a reflection of them, you know, it is a reflection of their soul, and it's really inspiring. It's really inspiring, and it makes a lot of sense. I'm not surprised that he knows Darren. I'm not that he you know that that voice makes that kind of music.
Speaker 2: So and both versions of cops here are great.
Speaker 1: I mean amazing. Yes, Well, we're so grateful Samir for joining us. I hope you guys enjoyed that conversation. Go listen to Young Giant. They just put out that live album and uh, thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: And that's what you really missed. Thanks for listening, and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time