Speaker 1: Welcome to Money Making Conversations.
Speaker 2: It's the show that she is the secrets of success experience firsthand by marketing and brand and expert Rashan McDonald. I will know he's giving me advice on many occasions. And in case you didn't notice, I'm not broke. You know he'll be interviewing celebrity CEOs, entrepreneurs and industry.
Speaker 1: Decision make because it's what he likes to do. It's what he likes to share.
Speaker 2: Now it's time to hear from my man, Rashan McDonald money Making Conversations.
Speaker 1: There we go. I am bringing the information to you for you to use and is not costing your opinion. That is what money Making Conversations Master Show. Masterclass Show is all about. The interviews and information that this show provides off for everyone. It's time to stop reading other people's success stories and really start living your own. My guests, they're on the line, have created a one of a kind original beverage that is vodka based and infused with the finest natural ingredients. They are working moms and wives who became fast friend while their daughters attended the same dance academy in Houston, Texas. Please Welcome to the money Welcome to Money Making Conversation Masterclass. Tyre Rashid and Daphne Carter. Did I say everybody's name correctly? Yeah?
Speaker 3: You did?
Speaker 1: Are you doing Tyre? And how you're doing? Daphne? Let's stick with Daphne and Tya? How about that?
Speaker 4: I knew I got that right, It's perfect.
Speaker 1: Great. Now tell me the name of your business.
Speaker 4: Well, the company name is Casi Beverage, right, which is a combination of our last names, right, and then our tour. Two products of the Coueurs are Daphanie lemon Cello and Daphanie barry Cello.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, now Daphne. Because I'm a bounce. So what I do is I just say your names. That way we know exactly who I'm talking to, and I just lay it out there for one of y'all to do. Who should I response? Told you respond to Hopscott So, Daphne Liquor. How does liquor played a role in your life that you felt that you can create a drink that somebody would want to buy.
Speaker 5: So? I grew up in the country Waynesburg, Georgia, not far from Augusta, Georgia, and my grand my uncle had a moonshine still and part of the induction into adulthood was taking a shot of moonshine. And whether you were I the gender, you had to take this moonshine shot. And my grandmother would make homemade lemonade. So we would add the lemonade to the moonshine for the women in order for us to sort of put an edge take the edge off of that moonshine taste for your shot. And so lemon plus some sort of alcohol equals the ingredients for lemon cello. So I as a child was inducted into the hall of vodka or some other grain base and women together to make.
Speaker 2: A great k.
Speaker 1: See all that country talk like everybody in the country is doing what your grandfather did. Now for me, I'm not a drinker, So educate me on what exactly what is moonshine? What is moonshine? But we hear it a lot, what exactly is moonshine?
Speaker 5: Moonshine is it's actually illegal, but it is made from the seal of using grains to make I mean, it's a really distillation process, but the base of it is grains, and you know, all kinds of alcohol and so ethanol. So you put put that together and gets you some good moonshine. So it's pretty strong. It's probably the strongest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you say, put hair on your chest clear?
Speaker 5: Yes, everclear is like everclear is like a baby formula of moonshine.
Speaker 1: Wow, wow, now tal you now, Okay, Now that's her story. Okay, Now do you have somebody in the country to that made you like a passing of a womanhood that you got a guzz litle gallon of moonshine in your life? How to tell me your story? It gotta be. It got to the top of her story. Now that I let Daphney leave, because I tell you, you got to get a better story than her moonshine story. The floor is yours.
Speaker 4: I cannot like like she wins, but I'm sharing something with you that I probably have never shared with my mother.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: But I also both my parents are from New Roe's, Louisiana. So every summer I would go to the country with my grandmother. Well, she did not make moonshine, but right, she would always give us a little sip of it. Started with wine coolers, right, and then I guess after she felt like we graduated. You know, we got a little maybe crown with a little crown with a lot of coke, and we thought we were doing something. I wasn't getting the strong stuff like Daphne, but you know I had my little country and introduction to alcohol to growing up.
Speaker 1: See, I don't know Tyer and Daphne. If y'all giving Louisiana people in Georgia people country people bad name. I don't know, y'all. They don't know how to raised kids obviously, you know, because they love well child protect The service needs to be lining up, sweeping, doing the big sweep down in the countries of the country land of Georgia and Louisiana. So I'm from Louisiana. My parents from Streetports, so I can attest that goes down with regularity, okay. And I was one of the fortunate ones who didn't have to experience any liquor in my life until I was of age to be able to make the decision on my own. But that's not a bad thing. Because you two young ladies, uh met in Houston, Texas and with your friends, with your kids, just attending their academy, the dance academy. How did that relationship start to get into the whole idea of being business partners.
Speaker 5: So with you, Defney, Yeah, So Taya and I'll let her share the story about their move our fast forward in the story. Our children were at the same dance studios, became close friends, and we're starting to spend a ton of time together. And anyone has an experience as a dance mom, you're together with other dance moms and your children four days a week during the weekdays, and almost every weekend all day, sometimes two day weekends at dance competition. So we spent a lot of time together. So Taya and I grew close after spending so much time together as a dance moms, and that friendship turned into bringing our friendship circle in. So we would hang out every other weekend, sharing life together as a friends circle. And we would always have two good things, good food and good drinks. And so I was in charge of the drinking youth since it was always at my home, which is how we started to make cocktails together, which then morphed into this business. But I'm gonna let Taya share the first part of the story of how we even came to be together in Missouri City Texas, which is right outside of Houston Town.
Speaker 1: I like to believe liquor had have something to do with this conversation somewhere happy hour of something because I can't see y'all just it's academy and then y'all just go, how about some liquor. Let's get in business. How did that conversation something? See, Daphne Chief gave that great story. She really got boring, she got boring. Taya, please help me with this story.
Speaker 4: Because you want you want the real deal, Yes.
Speaker 1: Ma'am, Yes, ma'am, Yes ma'am, yes, ma'am.
Speaker 4: We had to check these girls in right on a good day, seven o'clock in the morning, right right, and we would leave these competitions after awards, let's say him thirty eleven o'clock at night, and we were there all day in the stands, and we would hear the same song at least one hundred times. And at one point we were like, we gotta find a way to make it through this, and guess what the cure was.
Speaker 1: Liquor.
Speaker 4: We found the perfect not for the perfect cocktail, A cup of.
Speaker 1: Joy okay, a cup of joy okay okay, and.
Speaker 4: We drank responsibly we were responsible, right right right, it lead it a little something to get us through those long twelve hour days when we were supporting our little loved ones.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you know, I'm gonna read the something I did some research about black female entrepreneurs. They say this state said that. Harvard Business Review released a new reports sharing that in the US, seventeen percent of black women are in the process of starting or running new businesses, compared to just ten percent of white women and fifteen percent of white men. However, there's a catch. Those black female entrepreneurs take the lead early lead on only three percent continue to run the business through maturity, which means they start the business but it doesn't either collapses or they decided to go in a different direction or go back to work in a forty hour week job. The reasons for the drop our point to obstacles in assessing capital and the types of businesses launch tend to be in a crowded marketplace where lower margins. Let's talk about your marketplace, because you know, very ambitious, I would not I don't have a clue as to how I would even venture into the liquor business. What started mate, what created this as been a real possibility deafney.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So we went on a trip to the French rivier with a group of folks and then traveled over to Samafi Coast. I had already loved Limonchello for quite some time, so I was evaluating or judging everyone's lemonchello. My husband said you should start your own lemonchello, which I laughed at. My husband's a serial entrepreneur. He will start a business overnight if you give him the reins. And so I want to tell you when she got to dinner later on that night, after a few, you know, rounds of drinks, so I said, hey, do you want to do this together? Because we have been looking to do something together for quite sometimes. So said, hey, do you want to do this lemon cello thing together? And so both of us having had several drinks and have said yes, not really knowing what we were signing up for. And so my husband and Stephen and then a Zeine when they got back to the States, they did not consult us immediately. They just started the business. This is you know, we're going to start this business. Let's figure it out. And so I think about a week after we returned to the States, my husband said, okay, you and Taya, here's your business plan. What is your business plan? You all need to get it together. We're going to give you all the capital that you need to launch this thing I called Tayos like ty you, we're in business. So we started to do our research and realized that it was a male dominated industry, particularly white male dominated industry, which Ta Tia and I, who believed in overcoming obstacles and challenges, we thought, yeah, game on, we're going to break through this industry and we're going to do this. And so I think a part of it was just the lore of knowing that there were not many of us in the industry, and we started to just really WIDENI circle of them, talking to different people with humility, saying, hey, we don't know a lot, can you teach us? And everyone opened up their hearts and minds that we're counted along the way and really taught us the business in addition to our own research, but just really taught us the business. And then my husband, who is once again entrepreneurial businessman, his acumen and business acumen is out of this world, really laid the foundation because he owned successful businesses and so he's really coached and consulted us and a Zeem has also been a coaching consultant around marketing and branding. And what does that mean? So I say to folks, just wind your circle, get free labor. If you have husbands or spouses or significant others, use them as free labor. But really more importantly, don't take obstacles and challenges as an obstacle or challenge, but as an opportunity for you to overcome.
Speaker 1: Well, there's an amazing thing is that I'm talking to Taya and Daphne. They've created one of the kind original beverage that is Vokomba and infused with the finest natural ingredients. The key right there, natural ingredients. I'm assuming that is a selling card or calling card that differentiates you guys from the rest of the industry.
Speaker 4: Tya, Yes, it absolutely is, and I think that along this journey we were determined to stay true to that, and for a number of reasons that was challenged, right because it's definitely more cost effective to use something from concentrate or to add some food coloring our preservatives even for like coloring or look. And we said, listen, we want something of quality that we can stand proud of and that we would actually want to consume ourselves. So even when that was questioned, we never faltered on changing at recipe.
Speaker 1: Now, it's interesting because I said something about a crowded marketplace. I would assume that you guys are entering into a crowded marketplace. And then margins and margins is important because that tells you how much you're going to make. And also if you you know, if your margin safe. For instance, if you're buying it for eight dollars and you're selling it for nine dollars, then that's you really got a bad business model. So the margin comes into play here. So now I want to really drill down just a little bit, tire, if you don't mind, about how did you guys start setting up the budget or the model, the business model of reality. This is what's going to cost. Did you do a ninety day plan, a six month plan, a five year plan? How did that work?
Speaker 4: You know what? It was a combination of all of that. But I think we have to start at that recipe we came up with, right because we also knew that making that quality of a product was going to be expensive. Right, if you're using fresh lemon juice, cane sugar and you're not using anything unnatural, you pay more for that product. So we knew that because we were starting with a premium recipe, that we may have to look somewhere else to maybe cut the cost, and so just figuring out what that right combination was right. So while we wanted to get bottles and packaging for our product, maybe stateside, it may not have been economical for us because of what we decided to do with this product itself. So I think the short term was one figuring out that piece, right, how do we afford these quality products and the bottle and packaging that it's going into and to your point, knowing where we wanted to sit in the marketplace, right, So we went and we did our research, and we went to look at other lemon cellos. What were they made of, what was there alcohol mix, where did they sit on the shelves, Because again, we wanted to set ourselves as a premium, but we also didn't want to price ourselves out of the market, especially as a new brand. So it was a delicate balance of figuring out what that right price point is If that.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, absolutely absolutely, we're talking to Tyre and Daphne. When we come back, we're gonna find out about their background. You know, we've just been talking about the business and joking around and having a good time and also delving into the process of how this relationship started, but also who are they from an academic standpoint, what type of jobs they have before they decided to become entrepreneurs in the liquor business. We'll be back with more money Making Conversation master Class and we will be taking your phone calls.
Speaker 6: Welcome back to the Money Making Conversations Masterclass hosted by Rashaan McDonald. Money Making Conversations Masterclass continues online at Moneymakingconversations dot com and follow money Making Conversations Masterclass on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Speaker 1: You know, really, I when I left IBM to be a stand up comedian, I just went out there and just follow my dreams. But I had a math degree. And so when I tell people I'm an entertainment a manager or a writer or stand up comedian, and I tell them I have a math degree, they would go, that don't make any sense. But it made sense to me because just because you started overheard on me that that's the game that you have to play your whole life because you follow your dreams. Now, with that being said, I want to find out the backgrounds of my guests who have started a brand, a brand in the liquor business. They they they've heard everything all in, they sayers, just like I heard when I said when people told me I wasn't gonna be the next Witch of Pryor or, I wasn't trying to be the next rich of Pride. I was just trying to follow my dreams. And so that's what I'm assuming that Tya and Jeff Daphne are doing. You're following your dreams.
Speaker 4: Correct, Who do you want to start with?
Speaker 1: See see see see I was trying to be I was just trying to be really cool this time, y'all gona we gonna say nothing to he called you have a night, awry Daphne. Daphne. I didn't know y'all go do a brother like that, because I thought I was really eloquent, you know, I thought I had motivated y'all just to dive on in. Yeah. No, no, no, no, I was really it was really played out there. Y'all just would silent uper hello, Hello, and you know with shine you told us you're gonna call our names. We're not jumping. This is not jump rope. So Daphne, would I don't help you out O get that? That's right, Daphnie. What did you do or what are you currently doing as you build out this business? There's in a liquor area.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So, prior to doing this, I was an executive for a charter school network and a state superintendent. I retired and now I run. I'm an executive director for a nonprofit that allows high school students to have paid internships. And so the Kashem beverage is like my other job. But you know, I have a bachelor's, master's, a couple of vance degrees in chemistry, have one, and minor in mathematics also. So grew up in Augusta, Georgia, but definitely parents were set on all of our all of my siblings and I going for college, and so did the whole college thing. Came to Texas to find a husband, get a couple of advanced degrees. I was going to move back to Georgia. My husband said absolutely not. But a batting average of two out of three or point seventy five is really good. Point sixty six is really good. So I thought, well, I'm still winning with this batting average of advanced degrees and a husband, but not moving back to Georgia. So been in Houston for twenty plus years.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not mad. I was born and raised in Houston, So you're not going to hear anything negative from me about I won't turn this into a Houston story. But where you lay up, grad where you shop, where you eat, We're not going to do that. You're not going to do that. Now since I've got to call our name, excuse me, Daphney Taya, what is your academic training? Did you work at a fortueen five hundred company prior to taking on the responsibility of starting Kasheed.
Speaker 4: Well I did for a while, So have as many degrees as Daphne, But I did afoget.
Speaker 1: One hundred degrees. Daphnely, I'm gonna tell you some Daphne is the worst. You know, she had the great liquor story, moonshine story. Did she throw down? It wasn't enough to say she had a chemistry degree, but she gonna make me feel bad. And I got something to do with math too. I got a little math thing happening in my life.
Speaker 4: Right, Like your degree was cute, and I know I.
Speaker 1: Struggled with that math degree, but you got chemistry and math.
Speaker 5: Well, first of all, let me just say this, I'm actually still on the call m hm. So as the two of you are beating up on me, I'm still on the call. And to inspire your others to know that even if you work harder on your degrees, and you're like, oh, I work so hard, I can't change careers. Yes you can. You can do whatever you want to do. Your degrees only give you the soft skills of transformational skills. You can you can pivot and do whatever. So it was actually to inspire others to say it's actually okay to pivot right.
Speaker 1: Right, And you pivoted from what what what corporate job were you involved in? What does you degree in?
Speaker 5: Tyre Daphne Tayer?
Speaker 1: Could you because I can't talk anymore to Daphne about academic training if she just put down my little math degree, Okay, I'm gonna slide over that I need uplift in my life right now, Taya.
Speaker 4: I need a right But let me tell you what makes it even worse. Right, So she has all these advanced like math degrees. And then she's also like a wizard with words, like she will make you, she will belittle you with words in a minute, and you won't even know what happened, right, right, right, right should She leaves people like standing in their dust the time when it's amazing to watch. But it's a whole nother that's a whole other company, right. But yeah, So I had a degree in chemical engineering. I actually went to work for Freedom a Wow, and started out in their manufacturing area, and then I went to into S and D. When I moved to New York and maritaz em. I moved to New Jersey and marriage okay, and so I did that for about ten years and then you know him in the music industry. And then we decided to have like a gazillion kids, and so I then became a stay at home mom.
Speaker 1: Wow, Kazilian, I won't even ask that number because that seems to like a lot gazilion later, it's not a commercial for Wi Fi. You're gazillionaire. You're a gazillionaire with kids. Okay, we have a phone call. We have a phone call right here, Miss sears, missus sears, Yes, how you doing? She's welcome to the money making Companies math class. I'm with Taya and Daphnie. You have a question for them of myself.
Speaker 3: Hello, ladies, and it's wonderful to hear what you're doing. And I just wanted to say to you that my daughter has bartender for for the past ten fifteen years and she absolutely loves it. And so my question to you is have you always had your family to support you in this in this field, because I really at first didn't support my daughter. And now after listening to you guys and how well you're doing and how intelligent you sound, I'm you know, I'm even more eager now to support my daughter and what she.
Speaker 1: She She's doing great day.
Speaker 3: And my daughter has had her recipes and Ebony magazine, she has worked the four seasons. She's just a natural chemist and she loves We're from the low country, South Carolina. I've always been around you know, good foods and flavors and that kind of thing. And she's good at what she does. But because this has not always been a female, you know kind of position, I mean, my family members and people have looked down on her.
Speaker 1: Well they shouldn't, I will tell you they shouldn't. I come from a family of six sisters. I have two brothers, and so I'm always a pro female because of my fore of my sisters are older than me. When I look at the Tian look. Because we talked about it at the very beginning of the interview. You are in a very male dominated industry and you put liquor in place with men. There's always that chauvinistic approach of a Domeanian approach how they look at women because liquor and an environment does that. But but for Daphne and Tyre, when you hear Missus Sears talk about how motivating this has been, hearing you two talk, hearing you overcome the challenges, how do you react, Tire or Daphne?
Speaker 5: Either one you can respond, well, I'll say this, I'll tell you where you're gonna go, no, no notice, I would that's going to say that link. I think this is really important for her and for you to understand that link. We can remove the archaic definitions of what a career or a job is by simply doing the thing that you do well and making a name for yourself and being successful. And so sometimes we think, oh, if they're not a doctor, or if they're not an executive, then we don't want to uplift that passion. But our passion should be uplifted. And the support that she needs is to be able to make a name for herself in the industry as a bartender, as a mixologist, as someone who is an influencer and has a voice in the industry, and there's room for her. And whenever she feels like, whether as a female or someone new to the industry or someone who's breaking into a different industry, if she thinks there's not room at the table for her, then just tell her to make room, bring a fold in chair, make your own space at the table. But as a family member, what we can do is pour into someone and ensure that we support them and being the best in their industry. So do the research, who's the top person in her industry? Where does she want to go? And then learn from them so that she can then and sit next to them or take their place. But we've got to remove this like if you're not an X, Y or Z, then you're not successful, and instead say, in this day and time, whatever you do, be the best at it. Be at the tip of your game. Because the best way to show people approve people wrong is to prove the possible way they created the impossible cool tier.
Speaker 1: As we go here, Tyre, I want to make sure people understand, you know, that's hard work, and the hard work hasn't finished. And I understand Miss Sears being motivated and being uplifted by this, but you know, y'all work hard. Y'all still got to be parents to your kids. You still have to be you know, wives to the husband. You still have to go out there and be professional about this dream. And this dream every day inches forward sometimes and sometimes it doesn't even inch the next day. And that's the frustrating part. And when you talk about success and starting to be motivated by this tire, please explain to us what keeps you afloat, what keeps you moving forward?
Speaker 4: You know, thank you for saying that, because and that's a great point you bring up, right, because we are really doing something we love and receiving a lot of accolades for it, right, But it is hard work and we are making a lot of sacrifices financially, time, energy, bandwidth like all of that. But I think, and I thought about this when she was talking about her daughter like the passion and drive come out of doing something that you love. Right, you have something bigger leading you and pushing you through that. And so I think, you know, we're winning and she's winning because we're able to do something every day that is so easy to do even with all the struggles and hardships, because we believe in it and we love it awesome.
Speaker 1: I want to thank you guys for coming on my show again. You know, this is the first quarter. I'd like to invite you back on to Money Making Conversation master Class in the third quarter so we can talk about you update. You know, you're going into the fall, the Christmas season when people do a lot of celebrating and all that good stuff. Because I want people to understand there's a journey in being an entrepreneur and I want to let everybody know that Money Making Conversation master Class support your journey and definitely want to let to wish you good luck and please understand, I understand the hard work. I understand there are twenty four hours in a day and you have to take advantage of every one of those hours. Again, I wish you good up, Tya Daphne, and thank you for coming on Money Making Conversation master Class.
Speaker 6: Thank you for joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Money Making Conversations Masterclass with rough Shan McDonald is produced by thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight fifteen media dot com. And always remember to lead with your gifts