Speaker 1: Today Versus.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the weekend. It's Saturday.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for being here with us. Today, we're gonna switch th eggs up. Oh I'm very excited because yeah, we're doing a special edition of Today Versus Back in the Day, all about Super Bowl commercial Yeah right, and even the way we play is gonna change because here's how it's gonna work. I'm gonna ask Alexis three questions from nineteen ninety Super Bowl commercials.
Speaker 4: Okay, we're gonna see what her score is.
Speaker 3: And then she's gonna ask me questions about commercials from.
Speaker 4: The last decade. Are you ready? Because we all know that the commercials are the best part.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I meant one.
Speaker 4: I mean before Taylor Swick entered the arena.
Speaker 2: That's exactly crazy y Yeah, all right.
Speaker 3: So we're gonna start with a nineteen ninety five commercial Alexis, and it introduced to us one of the.
Speaker 4: Biggest ad icons of the nineties.
Speaker 3: Like I distinctly remember seeing this commercial for the first time. I was sitting on the floor of my parents house and immediately started mimicking it.
Speaker 4: I think everybody did.
Speaker 3: I mean, the ad icons were used in The Simpsons and Casper Robot Chicken. A tribe called Quest even sampled the sound of this commercial for one of their songs. Okay, so here's the trick. I'm gonna play you only five seconds of the ad. After you hear it, I want you to tell me what was the advertisement for? Okay, Okay, all right, here we go. Here's your five seconds.
Speaker 2: Frogs? Are they burping? Are they saying something? Do you know it? Jose?
Speaker 1: If you don't know it now, you're probably not.
Speaker 4: But no, no, I.
Speaker 5: Think are they saying bud like because it didn't Budweiser. They usually do clydes Dale's, but they've also done frogs and I'm doing Budweiser.
Speaker 2: Are they saying.
Speaker 4: Play the frogs? O?
Speaker 1: Good world? Wouldn't stop doing it?
Speaker 3: Me?
Speaker 1: My friends in class wise it was so fun too.
Speaker 5: I can cash on to what they're saying, and then I'm like, all at one point on the board for a Lexi commercial, we're going.
Speaker 3: Into the second nineteen nineties Super Bowl commercial. And you know, there's been multiple occasions where some of these ads have gotten so big that they actually inspire movies.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I didn't realize that.
Speaker 3: And one of the most successful of all of these jumps from commercial to movie happened with a commercial in nineteen ninety three. Now, I'm not gonna play you any of the audio yet until you answer.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: It was the first time ever this animated character was ever featured with this specific celebrity. Okay, I want you to either tell me the name of the two people in the commercial one's a character, one's a person, or the movie they inspired.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay.
Speaker 5: What first comes to my head because I'm trying to think of animated characters is I think Bugs Bunny okay?
Speaker 2: And then or just Looney Tunes in general.
Speaker 5: And then I'm like, oh my god, yes, because Space Jam.
Speaker 2: Wait. I haven't actually seen the movie, but I'm pretty sure the.
Speaker 5: Couple a cover, isn't it, Like it's Michael Jordan and Looney Tunes, right, Space Tub No.
Speaker 4: That could be a really good jen Z versus classic movie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I haven't, but I know, like Lola Bunny because everyone dresses her for Halloween.
Speaker 2: Now, so that's how I kind of know. You don't know Bugs Bunny, but I don't know all the characters. I'm gonna go it made the movie Space Jam. Oh right, Alexis play the class.
Speaker 1: Yay, wow, of course you know means war.
Speaker 2: Jordan and.
Speaker 6: Would you expect amazing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, got either. That's crazy.
Speaker 3: Idea was Hair Jordan versus Air Jordan, and it's a very end. Bugs says, this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship, and then they go on to make movie after movie.
Speaker 5: Guy's crazy so iconic. I haven't even seen it and I still know it.
Speaker 2: Let's take it. They're so hardful. Okay, so good.
Speaker 3: You got two points on the board and we're down to the very last question. We're gonna actually cheat a little bit because this is actually from the year two thousand. Yeah, but I want to set the scene. The Saint Louis Rams are playing the Tennessee Titans. The halftime show was Disney theme. There was Phil Collins, Christina Aguilera, Enrique Glecias.
Speaker 4: Tony Braxton on the stage.
Speaker 3: Okay, right, but ad lovers say that the best spot of the entire show, perhaps ever made, was done by a company called EDS, which was a multi national information technology equipment company.
Speaker 4: All right, okay, they.
Speaker 3: Are exactly exactly so they decided to use cowboys.
Speaker 4: Listen to the ad.
Speaker 6: I'm living a dream.
Speaker 1: Not everyone can do what we do.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't do nothing else.
Speaker 3: It ain't an easy job.
Speaker 4: But when you bring a herd into town and ain't lost to one of them, they ain't a feeling like in the world.
Speaker 3: So alexis they are cowboys that are hurting something.
Speaker 4: Can you tell me what they're hurting?
Speaker 5: Oh? Wow, okay, it's a tech company, you said, yeah.
Speaker 3: And people were like amazed at how they simply described what they did by using this analogy way.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, little microchips? Are you hurting? Like little microchips running around?
Speaker 5: Like imagine like cinnamon toast crunch like a mascot, a microchip running? Oh what do they call it on your computer? When you get like cookies on your computer? Like if they're hurting, well, cookies doesn't go with cowboys.
Speaker 2: I guess that's good to think it outside the bar. They're hurting. Let's go the cute little microchips. That's what I'm made, a microchips.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm sorry, that is not correct.
Speaker 3: You could have heard it in the background if you were listening closely. Tell us what they were hurting.
Speaker 5: This man right here is my great grandfather, who's the first cat herder in our family.
Speaker 3: I'm hurting cats.
Speaker 1: Don't let anybody tell you it's easy.
Speaker 2: I see.
Speaker 4: Holding together ten thousand half while short hairs.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's some other thing altogether.
Speaker 1: And if you can hear a guy sneezing in the first clip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sneezing and I missed it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's a great commercial. And the best thing about today's podcast is in the show notes of the podcast, we're actually going to include a link so you can go watch all the commercials that we're talking about today.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, all right, there is.
Speaker 2: You got two points on the board, and it's your turn.
Speaker 4: It's my turn. If people have the patience to wait through this, you better all.
Speaker 2: Right, you better stick around. We're getting more current, now, more correct what we got. All right. We are gonna start with a catchy commercial.
Speaker 5: Okay, weird, quirky, catchy. It played for Super Bowl fifty. I'm gonna play it for you first, and then you need to tell me what company it was for. All right, Okay, here we go.
Speaker 1: Okay, mooky baby Baby, open, mokey Baby.
Speaker 3: My goodness, pumpy monkey Baby, pumpy monkey.
Speaker 2: So you guys can't see it.
Speaker 5: It's a puppy head, a monkey torso and a dancing baby hipping legs and a diaper walking around her room with three guys who are too tired to get off their couch.
Speaker 2: Oh long, I remember it, yeah, And what were they?
Speaker 4: Puppy bunky baby.
Speaker 3: I mean, the baby makes me think of e trade because of the trade, baby, puppy monkey, I feel like you're trying to remember something, puppy monkey baby. Is it a commercial for hallucinogenic drugs?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: Kay, that's what you'll see.
Speaker 3: God, I think that I'm just gonna go with the only babies I.
Speaker 4: Know each raid.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm going to play you the answer Brook.
Speaker 1: Mountain to kickstart juice caffeine.
Speaker 2: So kickstart.
Speaker 5: They wanted you to remember three awesome things mixed together. A puppy, a monkey, a baby equal to do juice and caffeine that are now.
Speaker 1: It's funny because everyone remembers.
Speaker 4: So the ad people were on drugs.
Speaker 2: I mean, Mountain makes sense.
Speaker 4: It all makes sense.
Speaker 2: Okay, day, I need to get the next two right to tie. Alexis flashback though.
Speaker 5: You hear it and you're like, yeah, try to give you a hit that there's three guys on the couch that were too tired to get up.
Speaker 4: So it's like the caffeine I get taken. Ol. All right, give me the next one.
Speaker 2: Next up.
Speaker 5: So we're going to talk about when I looked it up. It's considered a Super Bowl ad that changed everything. Okay, okay, it was back in twenty eleven when Volkswagen posted their ad on Wednesday before the.
Speaker 3: Game, the first one to do it. And now we see them all like, I'm so sad that I've already seen the Jennifer Aniston, David Swimmer, Victoria Becca.
Speaker 1: Yes, the paramount one is not so funny.
Speaker 5: I mean other people did it because they racked up seventeen million views before kickoff. Wow, it was the most shared and it's still the most shared ad of all time.
Speaker 4: WHOA, And it paid.
Speaker 5: For itself before the game and earned more than six hundred thousand in free media for them. Wow, by sharing it on Wednesday before. And it's all based around someone dressed up as a famous character. And I need you to tell me what famous movie character.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about. Oh, it's a Volkswagen ad.
Speaker 4: And they were dressed up like a famous movie character.
Speaker 2: It's what made the ad so iconic.
Speaker 3: Is Volkswagon, so you're gonna want to be like they're all about family love and flower vases in their car. Yea. So maybe they were dressed up as like like the grateful dead guy what's his name?
Speaker 4: Like a hippie, you know, like that.
Speaker 3: Could be why would you be dressed But you'd be dressed up as a character, not as a celebrity, because then you'd have to pay.
Speaker 1: The celebrity slug bugs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but what's it, there's no famous bugs Bugs. It's bugs Bunny again. Oh wait, what if it dressed up as a Transformer?
Speaker 1: Does that counts?
Speaker 4: The car would transform?
Speaker 1: There's a movie every couple of years.
Speaker 3: And Michael Bay made the Volkswagen commercial I'm gonna go Transformer.
Speaker 5: All right, I'm gonna play you the clip Darth Vader. You were you're getting there?
Speaker 4: It was Darth Vader.
Speaker 5: So it was a kid pretending to use the force on everything in the commercials.
Speaker 4: Do you remember with the door?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, he was on everything.
Speaker 5: At the end the dad unlocks the car from far away because that must have been New.
Speaker 2: Twenty eleven, I don't know. And the kid thought he made the car start.
Speaker 3: That was probably before Disney, but you know, Wars franchise, and they didn't have to pay him.
Speaker 4: Oh I'm not gonna win, but asked the last question anyway.
Speaker 2: Last one? Maybe you know this one.
Speaker 5: In twenty seventeen, bud Light aired a medieval themed commercial called Banquet, and it turned a phrase into a cultural phenomenon. When they go to cheers their bud Lights in this commercial, what do they say?
Speaker 1: Yes, I know it?
Speaker 2: What do they say?
Speaker 3: It was? You know what's so annoying is that my husband still says what's up?
Speaker 4: What's up? And I'm like, dude, what that is so obnoxious? That is so dated and people don't.
Speaker 1: Get it anymore. No, it's literally random. They're like, what is that?
Speaker 4: We are twenty years past that. In the world of Super Bowl commercials.
Speaker 1: I remember one of my friends creating a Fortnite account. We named him after this saying because it was so popular at the time, we thought it was never gonna die.
Speaker 4: God, I'm terrible at this game. We're terrible.
Speaker 2: Questions cheers.
Speaker 3: Oh it's something obnoxious, something obnoxious because it's like, what's up?
Speaker 4: But it's not in your head.
Speaker 1: We're getting some final answer.
Speaker 4: I'm going with.
Speaker 6: The commercials, Sir Jeremy, you are a true friend of the Crown. Dilly dilly. You are an even truer friend of the Crown. Dilly dilly.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I blocked that because I had an ex boyfriend I hated who would always say, what's the dilly? And I like.
Speaker 2: Block one. Oh, you are the true champion of the Super Bowl commercials.
Speaker 4: Alexis, there's your fun.
Speaker 2: Will link them so you guys can go watch yeah again Wi Yeah.
Speaker 4: The link will be in the show notes.
Speaker 3: You can share all your super Bowl commercial knowledge now that you have tomorrow at the game. Hey, be safe, eat good food, drive safely, or just call an uber if you need to.
Speaker 4: And you know, go team you're.
Speaker 2: Rooting for and Taylor.
Speaker 4: It's barking Jeffrey in the morning.