Speaker 1: Hello puzzlers, and welcome to the Puzzler Podcast, the Soft Nugdi center of your daily puzzle treat I am your host, AJ Jacobs, and I am here with our guest puzzler, the brilliant Andy Borwitz of The Borwitz Report.
Speaker 2: Welcome Andy, Thanks for having me, Aj.
Speaker 1: And Andy, you wrote me a very nice blur, and you know I'd take flurves very seriously. I rarely do them. But you wrote a nice blur for the Puzzler book where you said you don't have to like puzzles to love the Puzzler, which was lovely, but it brings to mind. Do you like puzzles? What's your what's are your puzzle file a puzzle foe? Are you more agnostic?
Speaker 2: I would say I'm somewhere in the medium. I would say that I don't like all puzzles. There's some puzzles I find infuriating. My son when he was round five could just kick my ass and connect four. There's no way is that would you consider that a puzzle? Or is that more a game? A game?
Speaker 1: But it's a cousin.
Speaker 3: But you know what I.
Speaker 2: Do like and I don't like The New York Times Crossword puzzle because it's this whole culture around that, and like did you get the Saturday one? And all? You know it's just too hard. And and also I'll tell you what I do. Like I like scrabble, ok computer, it's a game, okay, But here is a puzzle I do every day. What I do I do play wordle.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a very good and your opening word just so we know.
Speaker 2: My opening word is ile ai s l e because of it's it's it's very vowel rich there. But I do think I think wordle is one that you can actually improve with.
Speaker 1: All right, well, we've established that that you are a medium puzzle fan. Hopefully by this we've converted to you to be a little more of a puzzle fan. Andy. You are also a writer, and you've written a great new Ish book called Profiles and Ignorance How America's Politicians Got Dumb and Dumber, a humor book with footnotes.
Speaker 2: I'd like that, yeah, well, because it's unfortunately everything in the book is true. I usually make up things when I write the board wood support, but in this instance I stuck to history and facts, and they're much more terrifying than anything I could come up with myself. So it's kind of like if you like Stephen King, except Stephen King with politicians, then this is the book for you. God, absolutely fine.
Speaker 1: I loved it so yeah, and I was terrified.
Speaker 2: So because we're living in this reality, it's like you read like Kujo and it's like, well, there's no Kujo in my house, I don't think, but we are living the reality of my book.
Speaker 1: So it's a terrifying well, speaking of terrifying, actually this is not that terrifying, but we did create a political themed puzzle for you, and appropriately it's it's kind of dumb. So it's called Rhymer in Chief. And here's how it works. I'm going to give you a clue that will consist of a president's first name and an object. So, for instance, Barack's South American pack animal. The solution is going to be the last name of that president and a word that rhymes with.
Speaker 2: It, so it would be Obama and Lama.
Speaker 1: Obama's Lama, Yes exactly, Sama. Okay, with the yeah, the possessive, I'm.
Speaker 2: Going to stop. I think since I got that one right, we can call it for me.
Speaker 1: You want to end on a high note.
Speaker 2: Okay, we got so I got credit for that one, even if I screw up the other one.
Speaker 1: Yes, one for one. All right, you're ready, Yeah, William's flotation device?
Speaker 2: Can I just shoot it out?
Speaker 1: Just shoot it out?
Speaker 2: Well, William. It's interesting that it's a flotation device because this I believe that this president, William Taft, William Howard Taft, was a rather large gentleman. But I think this would be Taft's raft.
Speaker 1: That's it, you got it, all right, Ronald's heathen, Ronald's heathen.
Speaker 2: Well, that's interesting because of course Ronald Reagan not a religious man himself, but he ran as an evangelical Christian and he ran against a guy who was a genuine evangelical Christian. So I'm going to paint Jimmy Carter as Reagan's pagan.
Speaker 1: Oh nice. I was waiting for the payoff, and you came right to it. Very nicely done, very nicely.
Speaker 2: Call me Steph Curry.
Speaker 1: And you brought up, I think in your book the Nancy Reagan as an astrology fan, which is very pagan. It's very pagan.
Speaker 2: A lot of paganism in Reaganism.
Speaker 1: All right, nice, I'm I'm interested to see if there's any historical fact you bring up for this one, because this one it is Martin's p that's pee, not the vegetable.
Speaker 2: Now we're really in the gutter here.
Speaker 1: We're not above it. Here, we're not we do well well.
Speaker 2: He he was a very I think, very unsuccessful present, really unremarkable president. I don't mean to kiss all over him, but that would be van Buren's urine.
Speaker 1: That is van Buren's urine, exactly.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that we're now discussing things at my level. I'm glad you stooped to that. After a couple more high saluted.
Speaker 1: Ones, well, we're going to go to one. This one, I think we're going to get out of the gutter. This one is James's moderately upscale hotel chain. James is moderately upscale.
Speaker 2: Hotel interesting because we hear a lot about his democracy, right, we hear a lot about Madisonian democracy, and.
Speaker 1: Even though it's more of a republic than.
Speaker 2: It is more of a republic. I know that's what you've been researching that one lately.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: But we don't hear much about Ratisonian democracy. But had he invented or drafted the constitution at a Radison Hotel that would have been known as Madison's Radison.
Speaker 1: There you go, Madison's Radison. All right, we got one more. You look at that and.
Speaker 2: If you count, if you count the Baraque one, we.
Speaker 1: Promise, all right, sign a one. Dwight cruciferous vegetable. Dwight's cruciferous vegetable.
Speaker 2: That is tricky O good of course, because a lot of people don't know him as Dwight. They know him as as Ike, and they like Ike. And I like Ike. I actually think it was one of our better presidents. And I'm not known as shows you. I'm bipartisan. He was the one who really ended the Macarthy era. Truth be told. But even though I like Eisenhower, I do not like cauliflower. I think you're talking about Eisenhower's cauliflower.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Well done, look at that. Well there you go, five for five or six for six, however you count it. Andy Borrowitz, thank you. Where can we get more of your content free or unfree?
Speaker 2: Well if you go to profiles and ignorance dot com and that will direct you to the.
Speaker 1: Book lovely And of course, for all of you puzzlers at home, here is your extra credit puzzle. So andy, if you get this, you still get credit in my heart. But don't say it out loud.
Speaker 2: I keep it to myself.
Speaker 1: Okay, Harry's spice, Harry's spice. All right, Please don't forget. Subscribe to the Puzzler podcast and I'll meet you here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 3: Hello once again, puzzlers. This is Greg Pliska here to give you the extra credit answer from our previous show. I was quizzing aj on words that begin with dee, like delightful and lovely, and this was the puzzly clue that I gave him to undo a measurement of three point two eight feet for the Goddess of the harvest. And the answer is demeter or d meter to undo a meter which is three point two eight feet. Hope you enjoyed it. Happy puzzling