Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News. Good morning.
Speaker 2: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Amy Morris. Here are the stories we're following today. We begin in.
Speaker 1: Las Vegas, where the Kansas City Chiefs have won Super Bowl fifty eight.
Speaker 3: There is a back to back Super Bowl champion.
Speaker 4: Then it is the Kansas City Chiefs.
Speaker 1: And that was the call for one oh six to five FM in Kansas City. This is the Chief's third Super Bowl title in five years and the third Super Bowl MVP for quarterback Pat Mahomes.
Speaker 5: I think we just kept fighting.
Speaker 6: I mean, at the end of the day, it wasn't like we called a.
Speaker 3: Lot of different plays.
Speaker 5: We stayed within our offense, kind of like we did all year long, and guys just continue to battle and that was kind of our whole season.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 1: The Chiefs came back from behind after a slow first half to tie the game with the San Francisco forty nine ers and head into overtime. The Niners scored first in ot with a field goal, but that left the door open for a last minute touchdown drive from the Chiefs for a twenty five to twenty two victory. Stay tuned, We're gona have more on Super Bowl fifty eight coming up shortly in sports and Nathan.
Speaker 2: Those on the East Coast who did stay up to watch the whole game could be waking up to the prospect of winter weather today. It's not going to be a major storm, but we could see snow hitting parts of the East Coast later today. Bloomberg meteorologist Rob Carolyn with more details.
Speaker 8: The upcoming storm system. It's going to impact the northeastern mid Atlantic as just straight rain. For the district in Baltimore, it starts as rain late today and it ends tomorrow morning is rain. New York City precipitation will start as rain after midnight, but it changes the snow during tomorrow morning and depending on exactly the track, while we could end up with a sizeable snowfall, especially just north of the city, six to ten inches. Right now, the city looks like it could see two to four but if the storm tracks further south, New York City may get in on the heavier snow. Boston right now looks like it gets the jackpot from this storm. Snow will arrive by sunrise tomorrow morning in Boston. Boston area under a winter storm morning on Tuesday, six to ten inches looks likely for Boston. Some of the suburbs to the west and just north and west of Boston could have as much as a foot I'm Rob, Carolyn Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: Okay, Rob, thank you.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: Let's turn to the Middle East now, where Israel is launching more strikes in Gaza, air strikes at the southern city of Rafa, where more than a million people have sought shelter from the war. These attacks come after President Biden urged Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahoo not to take action without a plan to keep civilian safe. It is a concern net on Yahoo addressed in an interview with ABC's Jonathan carl.
Speaker 6: Well, Rafa is a very small percentage of Gaza, and I think it's about ten percent or fifteen percent, I mean the estimates. And with that area north of Gaza that has already been cleared, well there.
Speaker 5: There's an estimate one point four million people in that area right now. And if they can't just disappear, where are they supposed to go?
Speaker 6: No, Well, the areas that we've cleared north of Ralfa are plenty of areas there, but we're working out a detailed plan to do so.
Speaker 1: In Prime Minister Natanya, who spoke as Iron's foreign minister, says the Israel Hamas conflict could be moving closer to a diplomatic solution. He's held tux in Beirut about the potential release of Israeli hostages. Separately, Israel says it did rescue two hostages from captivity in Rafa.
Speaker 2: Meantime, remarks from Donald Trump are causing a dust up in the international community. The former president claims he wants He once threatened to let Russia invade a NATO member if they didn't pay their fair share to the Alliance.
Speaker 4: One of the presidents of a big country stood up said, well, sir, if we don't pay and we're attacked by Russia, will.
Speaker 3: You protect us.
Speaker 4: I said, you didn't pay, You're delinquent. You said yes, let's say that happened. No, I would not protect you. In fact, I would encourage them to do whatever the hell they want.
Speaker 3: You gotta pay.
Speaker 2: The idea that former President Trump would allow NATO members to be invaded is sparking somewhat of a political storm. Democrats condemning the remarks. Republicans like Lindsay Graham and Marco Ruby are defending Trump's rhetoric.
Speaker 1: And meantime amy former President Trump continues to poll well with US voters. New data from the Financial Times show americans trust him over President Biden when it comes to the economy. We get the story from Bloomberg's Dan Schwartzman.
Speaker 9: A Financial Time survey shows that GOP presidential front runner Donald Trump leads President Biden by eleven points when it comes to the economy. Forty two percent of Americans say they feel Trump would be the better steward for the economy, while thirty one percent say Biden, with twenty one percent saying they don't trust either candidate. Trump Strong's showing comes despite voters reporting some improvements in their own financial situations and optimism regarding the economy. I'm Dan Schwartzman, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Dan, and speaking of the economy, we have some significant data on tap for US markets this week. Figures on inflation and the health of consumers will likely play a role in sentiment this week. Bloomberg Steve Potus with more from Washington.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow is the highlight for data this week, with inflation readings for January. Do out economists, consumer prices rose two tenths of a percent from the prior month, for an annual inflation reading of two point nine percent. Strip out food and energy and the numbers are a little less rosy, resulting in a core CPI reading of three point seven percent. Then on Thursday, the government issues figures on retail sales. Economists to expect US slump in January, with retail sales falling. On Friday, look for data on producer prices. They are expected to show a moderate monthly increase of just one tenth of a percent. In Washington, I'm Steve Podisk, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: All right, Steve, thanks, turning to company news, we may have a big tie up in the energy industry. Bloomberg News has learned Diamondback Energy and Endeavor Energy Resources are in final discussions on a deal. The combination of the two companies would result in an oil and gas giant worth more than fifty billion dollars. We're told a deal could be announced as soon as today.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Nathan. In time now for a look at some of the other stories making news around the world, and for that we're joined by Bloomberg's John Tucker.
Speaker 1: Good morning, John.
Speaker 10: Amy, Good morning, terrifying moments inside celebrity pastor Joel Ostein's Lakewood Church in Houston, Texas Sunday, but a woman opened fire with a rifle, sending worshippers running for safety to off duty police officers confronted and killed the shooter. Two other people were shot and injured, including a five year old boy who is with the shooter and is now in critical condition. Pastor Ostein joined police at a new conference later, if there's.
Speaker 5: Anything good of it, you know what, She didn't get in there and do.
Speaker 11: A whole lot worse damage.
Speaker 7: So we thank God for that, and he's watching over all of us.
Speaker 10: Lakewood Churches among the largest congregations in the US. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin was admitted into critical care late Sunday after being hospitalized for the second time of the month. Let's get more from Bloomberg's Jeff Bellinger.
Speaker 11: The Pentagon says Austin's security detail brought the Secretary to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center outside Washington with symptoms suggesting an emergent bladder issue. The fresh health scare comes weeks after Austin provoked an uproar for failing to disclose for several days that he had been hospitalized on New Year's Day. At that time, he was in the hospital for treatment of complications from prostate cancer. The Pentagon chief has transferred the functions and duties of his office to Deputy Defense Secretary Kathleen Hicks. Austin is seventy years old. Jeff Bellinger Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 10: In hopes of connecting with younger voters, the Biden campaign joined TikTok last night, its first video featuring President Biden reacting to the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Two great Quarterbacks Harder.
Speaker 10: The Sign One poll shows eighty six percent of Americans think Joe Biden is too old for another term. Fifty nine percent think both Biden and Donald Trump are too old. The US has moved ahead with a twenty three billion dollar sale of F sixteen warplanes, missiles and bombs. The longtime ally Turkey. It's something of a reward a Turkey's ratification of Sweden's membership in NATO. Global News twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News. Now, I'm John Tucker, and this is Bloomberg Amy.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, John, and we bring you the news. Throughout the day here on Bloomberg Radio. But now you can get the latest news on demand whenever you want it. Just subscribed at Bloomberg News Now to get the latest headlines at the click of a button. Get informed on your schedule. You can listen and subscribe to Bloomberg News Now on the Bloomberg Business app, Bloomberg dot com plus Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Time now for our Bloomberg Sports updating. For that, we bring in John stash Hour.
Speaker 5: Super Bowl fifty eight in Las Vegas started slowly as scoreless first quarter. There was a trick play touchdown in the second quarters. The forty nine Ers wide receiver Jowan Jennings threw a touchdown pass at Christian McCaffrey that was the only touchdown score in the game over the first forty two minutes. She's TD on a Patrick Mahomes pass that came first play after a mough punt. Forty nine Ers would reclaim the lead early fourth quarter on a Rock Perty touchdown pass that went two Jennings. The point after was blocked that would turn out to be he Although Jake Moody did make field goals of fifty five and fifty three yards. Harrison Butker had two game tyme field goals with the last six minutes of regulation, won with three seconds to go, forcing overtime where the Niners went seventy five yards covering seven and a half minutes, but had.
Speaker 3: To settle for a Moody field goal.
Speaker 5: So the Chiefs would win it with a touchdown, and they went seventy five yards in thirteen plays.
Speaker 10: This was the thirteen.
Speaker 2: First ten and goal to go play action fake put two touchdown, Duxa City hook Toll.
Speaker 12: Hartman, hook Toll, Hartman, put the catch on the right side.
Speaker 3: He's radio the call.
Speaker 5: They beat the forty nine ers twenty five twenty two of mahomes, going thirty four of forty six for three hundred and thirty three yards two touchdowns. He wins the Super Bowl MVP Award for the third time in his career. That's Celtics one in Miami one ten to one oh six. Jason Tatum twenty six points and assist Shy of a triple double. The Capitals gave up a goal with five seconds left in overtime at home, lost to Vancouver three to two. John Stasheware Bloomberg.
Speaker 12: Sports from coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, d C. Nationwide on SYRIASXAM, the Bloomberg Business app in Bloomberg dot Com. This is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning. I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 1: Israel has carried out more air strikes on what it says is Hamas's last remaining stronghold in Gaza, the southern city of Rafa, near the Egyptian border. And this assault comes hours after President Biden held his first call with Prime Minister Benjamin NATANYAHUO in weeks, urging him to come up with a credible plan to protect the more than a million people who have sought refuge in Rafa. For the latest we're joined by Bloomberg News Israel Bureau chief Ean Brauner in Tel Aviv, Ethan. What do we know about these latest strikes?
Speaker 7: Well, I think you summarized it well and Nathan, they you know, the Israeli say that when they have particular targets, even if there are people living nearby, they go after them, and that's what they did. In this particular case. It was combined with a special op that ended up rescuing two hostages who were held on the second floor of a building in the center of Ropoff. That happened at around one or two in the morning local time. The Israeli say that they killed the three guys who were holding them hostage and rescued these two men, one who was around sixty one, around seventy, who came from key Boots and were captured on the seventh of October along with all the other people. So that was there certainly a big accomplishment from their perspective. The bigger issue is that you have, as you said, more than a million, maybe one point three million people holding on by their fingernails under tents and things around Rafa, and the Israeli say that that's now their next target, and they say they won't go in in a big way until they move people out, but we don't know what that means are where these people will go.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and even before this latest assault, before the call that we're led to understand that President Biden had with Prime Minister Netan Yahoo, the Prime Minister was on at least two of the Sunday political shows here in the US saying that they were working on a plan to protect civilians. Do we know anything about this plan that the Israeli government's working on.
Speaker 7: They have it, I don't know too much about it. Every time we ask, they say we're working on it. They've only been talking about it for a few days. The basic plan seems to be some kind of a humanitarian corridor that would allow people who escape Ran Junez Darryl Balach and maybe I don't think they're going to let them go to the north beyond Wadi Aza, to go back to god City. But in theory they're talking about areas to the north of Rafa that they could go back to. That the Israelis are not in the process of attacking. But you know, there's been so much destroyed, and the people who are seeking refuge already in Rafa, so many are wounded and so many are hungry, that it is really a kind of unimaginable challenge to move huge numbers of them out in a way that they would actually be safe. But I mean, I'm not there, and that's what the Israelis say they're going to do.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: From the images we've seen, it's difficult to imagine where in Gaza. The more than a million people who have crammed into Raffa could go given the images that we've seen of devastation in so much of Gaza. From what we can understand, ethan, where can Palestinians who are in Gaza go? At this point, you.
Speaker 7: Know, I'm not certain. The Prime Minister referred to an area north of Roufaf, directly north of Rafaff that he said would be safe and is available. It is also possible that parts of Khanyunis, where they are in the process of finishing up a several week operation, that they would then remove themselves from Hanunis. I don't know that all the buildings are destroyed. I think northern Gaza is more destroyed than central Gaza. But look, these are good questions, and some kind of temporary housing would have to be found for them. The whole situation is very, very alarming. We know that there are nearly there are some twenty eight thousand people who already dead. There's some tens of thousands who are injured and wounded. So you're right to ask the question, and I don't have an answer for you.
Speaker 1: One other comment that stood out from Prime Minister Natanyahu's remarks on the Sunday shows he's saying that victory against Hamas is within reach and our last thirty seconds ethan, do we have a better sense the Israeli government of how they perceive victory looking like against tom osk Yes, I.
Speaker 7: Think it's I mean victory. Victory is a little hard to describe. But what they are saying, what the military is saying, is that in the last few weeks they were able to operate in Kanunis in a way they hadn't been able to operate in the North of God. So they're able to go into the tunnels. They have these robot dogs and they have these sort of bowling ball things that go in as well. That they feel they've been able to actually take over areas that they thought they wouldn't be able to. They have an enormous amount of intel now and they're questioning a lot of guys they've captured, and they think they can win this war and destroy Hamas. That's what they're saying.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Today, your morning brief on the story's making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast feed by six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street Time, on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh sixty one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa Play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 1: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, SiriusXM, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 2: And I'm Amy Morris. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak