Speaker 1: Hi. I'm Vanessa Bayer and this is my brother Jonah.
Speaker 2: We're two siblings who love to talk about our childhood in nostalgia and how it shaped us into the people we are today.
Speaker 3: Who know we're going to have a great time with today's guest, and that's not a gamble.
Speaker 2: Welcome to how did we get weird?
Speaker 1: Jonah?
Speaker 3: So you were saying earlier today that you're experiencing the first snow of the year where you live.
Speaker 2: Yep, we got some snow up here in the Northeast. We haven't gotten it. Usually we get it way earlier. I was driving home from work the other day and it was slow goings. It was, yeah, driving in the snow not fun.
Speaker 1: Not fun.
Speaker 3: Now I have a question because I live in LA where it doesn't really snow, So I'm curious. You know, when we were kids, the first snow of the year was quite exciting, and I feel like maybe as an adult, just how would you say those two things differ.
Speaker 2: It's not as exciting as an adult. Like most things, I'm thinking about driving, I'm thinking about my heating bill, I'm thinking about you know, Yeah, it's not it's not as exciting. I mean, it's it's nice because it hopefully it means a planet isn't completely melting right right, right, right, So it's good that it's still happening, but it is. Yeah, it definitely doesn't have the same novelty of wanting to go sledding, wanting to do fun stuff in the snow. It's more of like, Okay, I got to shovel this stuff. Where's the shovel. My back's going to be sore. It's it's a lot more adult stuff, so you're not really missing out that much.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, I feel like the thing that I would get the most excited to do when it would start to snow was make a snow angel.
Speaker 1: And now the idea.
Speaker 3: Of like doing that, I'm like, no way, Jose, I don't want to lie down in the snow.
Speaker 1: That sucks.
Speaker 2: Right. Then you got to do the laundry. Then your clothes are all way.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And also I feel like when we were kids, because we were from Cleveland and it was so cold there, we had like snow pants and stuff and snow and that stuff. You gotta lie down in that stuff. It gets all wet and you're like check, please, no, thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, well I'm curious to see how are today's guests. I am too feels about this whole snow based on you know, where he lives. So let's get into it. Our guest today's musician, actor, comedian. You might know Elite, singer for Dracula's High Tension Wires and one of my favorite bands, Riverboat Gamblers. Let's give a warm how do we get We're welcome to Mike Weaby Mike, what is up?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 4: What is up? Guys?
Speaker 5: We we uh in Texas? I'm from. I grew up in North Texas, Denton, Texas, and I live in Austin, Texas now and it snows maybe like once a year, so it was all I honestly, it continues to be a little bit exciting, except for Texas is politically is a little bit of a wack adoodle place sometimes and they're there's like a I don't know the ins and outs, but they're like not on a power.
Speaker 4: Grid that like is regulated.
Speaker 5: So like two years ago in Austin, it snowed and iced really bad and all the power went out in the entire almost in the entire city. I lived really close to the airport because I've made it and and like uh, but but so the power stayed on, you know, which was great for me. So I had like people kind of trudging their way over just to get warm, but there was like no power for in this sub you know, freezing temperatures for like four days or something like that. So that was my first taste of like, oh, snow can be bad and not fun, because to me, it's always this rare special treat that like what.
Speaker 4: Is this stuff?
Speaker 2: It's it's so magical, right, right you could have you should have gone to Kancum with Ted Cruz am I right, I know, Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: I remember that was so funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sucks.
Speaker 4: It's the worst the weasel.
Speaker 2: So so it's kind of still a novelty to you. Yeah, so how is it? I guess, like how is it changed? It's growing up? Like was this like a huge deal as a kid growing up in Texas?
Speaker 5: The one day it's the best because we get if we get a couple of flurries, they closed down the entire city. So we So I remember like in the winters when I was in like grade school and and.
Speaker 4: And probably all the way up to high school.
Speaker 5: But even like as a young young kid in grade school, excitedly watching the weather every night during the winter, praying that there was going to be snow so we could get out of going to school because I hated going to school at a very young age.
Speaker 4: And uh, and it.
Speaker 5: Was always such as just so magical to like open up the window and see that there was a full bet of snow and know that you were not going to have to go to school.
Speaker 4: It was just the best dream.
Speaker 3: The dream so funny because as a kid, you're like kind of Jonah, you were touching on this. You don't have to shovel the I mean, I guess once in a while you do have to shovel the driveway, but you don't really have to drive in the snow because you can't drive yet. You don't have to really deal with stuff with your house getting like messed up by the snow. All you do is like, look at how pretty it is and get to play in it. It's funny because I was just thinking in California, people will drive to the mountains to get snow, and it's like, I'd like to stay here where there's no snow, right meaning in La Okay, Yeah, let's move on. But the point is like I'm just saying, snow is such a novelty if you're a kid, or if you're in a place.
Speaker 1: I guess that doesn't get it a lot. Jonah, Do you remember when.
Speaker 3: We visited our cousins in northern California and it snowed there and they absolutely lost their minds?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I do remember that. That was a I mean what I remember most is eating a bunch of rainbow Srbert and then throwing off like.
Speaker 1: Was that at that time?
Speaker 2: I think it was the same trip. We were in some kind of vehicle with a lot of people, and I was sitting backwards like towards, you know how, like a lot of cars in the eighties would have the seats that face out the back, which I don't think was like working for me. After eating a bunch of rainbow Subert.
Speaker 5: Was a vomit in perfect rainbow colors. Actually so interesting. I thought maybe it would be at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it turns out no, it turns out like uh yeah, no, just looks regular.
Speaker 4: It's disappointing, but you know.
Speaker 1: What else, this is gonna not be as fun.
Speaker 3: But the thing I remember, probably from that trip to was do you remember, well, I don't know if either of you would remember these Freeman's like face masks and all this like path and body stuff that had all these colors on the packages, and we would experiment with all of them in Yukaya when we would visit our cousins, but also rainbow colored, but not something you would ingest and then throw up.
Speaker 4: So you could. I bet, I bet you would throw up.
Speaker 1: You would throw it up.
Speaker 3: Good partoo, I bet you would throw it up. But wow, we had a lot of fun when we go to u Kaya.
Speaker 2: So, Mike, so, so you grew up in Texas, you'd have the snow days and then like, what was your kind of vibe like in high school? Because obviously you're like very kind of like a performative person. Were you like that in high school or were you more kind of quiet or what?
Speaker 5: Were you sort of like I was, Yeah, I would think I was pretty performative. I was in theater and did theater stuff all the time.
Speaker 3: Were there any productions you want to kind of shout out that you did?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I mean people already know them, so I feel like it's a little it's.
Speaker 4: A little braggy or whatever.
Speaker 5: H Now, I was in one Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest whoa, which was a very like I remember being so excited that we were going to do that, but then just like watching the theater teacher Jeanette Abney, who was a really great teacher, but watching her just go through every page with a black marker and just marking at all the lines that we couldn't say, you know, because it's really like, it's an adult it's an adult thing. Like it's right, it's really ridiculous to have a bunch of high school kids trying to pull that one off.
Speaker 4: But what was you can't take it with you right right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know one. So you're doing dramas.
Speaker 3: I mean, these are not musical plays where people are singing and dancing. You're doing more kind of hardcore dramatic acting sort of.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm known for. Yes, sure that in that circuit.
Speaker 5: Ye I was the yeah I was. I was not the Mandy Pittink and I was more of just a I don't know Robert yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know. Vanessa has a lot of issues with some of the casting decisions made in our high school productions for not getting certain roles middle schools in middle school. She's held on to that a lot. Do you have any those kind of feelings that have you kind of let that go over the last you know, thirty years.
Speaker 5: I feel like I I mostly got what I wanted. I feel pretty lucky, but I never got leads and I was always kind of wanted to be the more charactery kind of you know, people that didn't have to hold the you know, carry the whole thing.
Speaker 4: I was like somebody who you know.
Speaker 5: Who's I remember doing a separate piece which was about like about like this kid who his buddy breaks his leg and dies and it's in the snow, but I got to play the schizophrenic. This schizophrenic side character goes to the army and goes crazy or whatever, and that was like so that, you know, I never I never went out for anything that like that wasn't within my wheelhouse, which was always like the nerd or the or the freaky Audi person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're doing such dramatic plays. I was like, how do I know?
Speaker 1: A separate piece? And then I remember that in my eighth grade, like Honors English class, we read it and it was so dramatic and.
Speaker 4: It's very depressed, so depressive, crazy.
Speaker 3: You guys, see, that's a play like our plays at our high school were sort.
Speaker 2: Of I was I remember being the Princess and the p.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jonah, you were and the Princess and the PI remember in middle school, and I remember.
Speaker 2: Seeing ours were much more kind of.
Speaker 3: Much more, you know, the the much less serious kind of stuff, A.
Speaker 1: Separate a lot of also a lot of things you're naming. I didn't even know we're plays.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Like they're just these like really dramatic, depressing books.
Speaker 2: Did you guys do The Driver or anything.
Speaker 3: Like we did?
Speaker 4: We did Schindler's List of play.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: It feels Sophie's choice, right, Wow, No, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I wonder if that's just some sort of a part of the the wacka do politics of Texas trickling down.
Speaker 4: It was in charge of theater programs.
Speaker 1: Let's get these kids into the grittiest.
Speaker 3: Of yeah plays.
Speaker 1: Now, So you're from Austin.
Speaker 4: I'm from Denton, Texas.
Speaker 5: You're from Denton, a little suburb outside of Dallas that has like a couple a couple of little colleges in it, and it's kind of it I always described Denton as like a micro Austin where it's like you could kind of be a art It was pretty friendly to like freaky artist kind of people, but also very small. And then then we moved to Austin because it was just like, oh, it's just this way bigger version of Denton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and obviously Denton, you know, Vanessa, you may not be aware of this, but like has an incredible music scene. Mike's a part of with you know, like Markman. You know all these incredible bands, which feels like it is like, I don't know, twenty guys or something that are in like nine thousand bands. A.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well we were all in each other's bands. There was there wasn't a lot to do, so we all just played in each other's bands.
Speaker 1: And when did did you move to Austin? How old were you when you moved there.
Speaker 4: I've been here about twenty years now, so.
Speaker 2: Has it changed at all?
Speaker 1: I have a question about this.
Speaker 3: I have a question like, Okay, when south By Southwest happens, do you go, oh boy?
Speaker 1: And was it always like that?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: How has south By Southwest influenced on you?
Speaker 3: Changed in the last twenty years?
Speaker 5: Everybody local not everybody, but a lot of local people are like, oh yeah, south By Southwest, But I from not living here, I was always excited to come down for south By Southwest because we were we started performing and stuff like years and years before we moved here and then, I mean, I've gotten weary of it at times, but for the most part, I've always kind of enjoyed it because it means that a whole bunch of friends from other bands are coming into town.
Speaker 4: It means they're probably going to get at Sea a cool movie.
Speaker 5: Then when I started doing comedy, like I never there's not a lot of like local comics that do do comedy, but there's a lot of cool, famous, you know, big people that you get to go see and satellite show. So I've always kind of enjoyed it. It's a little hectic, especially when I used to like work in bars, because it would mean that I would, you know, between like attending things and working. I was just getting no sleep for an entire like two weeks. But yeah, but I've always kind of I've always kind of liked it. I felt like there was too much hemming and hawing about right right right right, not being fun.
Speaker 2: Sure. Vanessa remember we went one year.
Speaker 3: I was just going to say we were there at the same time. I was promoting train Wreck and doing maybe one stand up show, and you were.
Speaker 2: I was playing with Unit Nations.
Speaker 1: You were playing with United Nations.
Speaker 3: And also you were getting you got me so many free shoes.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. I had a friend who worked for Crier or something. No, I think it was Vans.
Speaker 1: Oh it was Vans.
Speaker 2: They had some kind of house and they had free shoes. Yeah, house of Vans. Yeah. But but yeah, we played a show, a couple of shows and it was for collect and Martin Screlly was at our show.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, yeah.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: Did you get a chance to brow down or to make out with him? Maybe? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I wish for people don't remember who Martin Trelly is.
Speaker 1: Well one of you explain it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's you know, the farmer bro guy, and he was you know, it's actually kind of like, uh, you know, our singer was involved in a label with him.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, before.
Speaker 5: I forgot he had that label, he did so much vileness and I completely forgot that he was involved in other than buying that Wu Tang record.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a million dollar Wu Tang record.
Speaker 2: He was like a very big fan of Scream. Oh you know, he was a huge Thursday fan. I met him twice. One was at that show and once was at like like a Lot of Dispute show in Brooklyn. I mean, he was really into this kind of music. But yeah, I remember him being at the show. I didn't spend all the time with him.
Speaker 3: He's the guy he somehow made some kind of a drug cost a lot of money.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was like a villain, Yes, very much a villain. He made like a drug that normally costs like at five or ten dollars costs like three hundred or something like that, and it was like it was like diabetes for elderly ladies or something specific where it.
Speaker 4: Was just really really evil.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you knew before he turned or maybe I don't.
Speaker 2: Really know super well. I mean, like I said, I just remember him being at that show because it was it was a label. But that was a year we were there together. I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was really fun, Yes, Martin Scarely, Yeah, yeah, yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 1: Know it was going to take that.
Speaker 4: I bet you could get him on this podcast.
Speaker 2: I think we probably could. In prison, No, I think he.
Speaker 4: Just got out he got out reaching.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, well then Olivia are producer.
Speaker 2: I hope you're yeah, yeah, And I think we actually hung out with Zech Blair on that at that house of Vanas. Oh yeah, yeah, who's you know, plays with Mike and he's also I.
Speaker 3: Think I got shoes and a gift card for shoes, which was amazing.
Speaker 1: Do you like how that's what I remember?
Speaker 5: She's a That's one of the best things about festivals is when you get free shoes. Oh yeah, And that's always, always a treaty and also always a pain when you get the free shoes really early and you have to carry them around all day because you know, it's you had to park like one hundred miles away or whatever, so you're just kind of stuck watching, you know, watching the band Magua with a bunch of Converse under your under your arms.
Speaker 2: I know, I know that's true. That is true. Yeah, the first year I went there, many years ago, and I have free for a socan ease and then I think, wow, they don't really do don't really, they don't really do that stuff anymore. But yeah, I don't know, I don't know if that's still as much of a thing that kind of mark you know, you know, I don't know, but I'm not really as much in it in the bus these days. I don't know, what do you think, Mike sat Free stuff.
Speaker 5: It's it's I think there's it's changed a lot post pandemic. So it's really like them having to you know that it brings south By Southwest, brings in like millions and millions of dollars to the city, like like multiple millions, millions and millions, multiple millions, and so it was a real hit when the pandemic took it out for two years. So they're kind of I think they're kind of like rebuilding. So I got think the industry is kind of trying to figure out what it is. It's becoming more and more of a tech tech thing than a music thing anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I'm thinking about moving into the tech space myself.
Speaker 3: So yeah, Jonah, what kind of projects are you thinking of doing?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Some AI, I think, think an AI right right, and you'll get very hot. Yeah, I don't know exactly what.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Okay, you know I heard Martin Screlly's looking to get into tech too, so maybe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he'd loved to replace a ton of people's jobs with AI.
Speaker 1: It feels like a villain move.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, well we're going to take a quick break and we'll be right back with Mike Weaving and we're back. So, Mike, you gave us some great topics and one of them that we landed on was Saturday Morning Cartoons, bring us back to Denton, Texas in the eighties. Saturday Morning, what's your go to cartoon? What's your go to cereal? What are we talking about?
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I was even specifically thinking about the excitement of in September when the new seasons of shows would come out, and it felt like they canceled ninety percent of the cartoons every season and had ninety percent, so you'd there'd be ads in the comic books in comic books and then you get like TV Guide or whatever, and it would just have like these ads of like rundowns for all the new cartoons that were gonna come out, and they were all so foreign and exciting, and you couldn't believe they were making a cartoon about Rubik's Cube or pac Man or you know whatever, Like just all these new cartoons, and I just remember that was like one of my favorite favorite times of the year was just sit there and kind of like make a plan because there's three networks, There's ABC, NBC, and CBS, and so you're gonna there's gonna be cartoons that are running at a certain time, so you had to really kind of plan out what you were going to watch and maybe you can switch to some during the commercial break. But the idea that you're gonna have to miss some this week and then the next week was going to be when you give you know, the my orbots a chance instead of watching you know, dungeons and Dragons or whatever, and you're gonna have to switch and flip them around. And I remember like sitting with the TV guide and planning out like the next three weeks of cartoons that I was going to give my attention to, and it was just such a so exciting, especially because I didn't understand what seasons were or anything like that. It was it was just this thing of like TV was just TV and stuff comes on and then sometimes it doesn't come on, and you just there. You were at the whim of the magic box the whole time. There was no like insider information about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's true. Did you have any kind of favorite kind of standouts that you remember.
Speaker 5: There was a Dungeons and Dragons cartoon that I really liked a whole lot because it was kind of more of an action adventure cartoon because there was some choices you had to make, like they had. I always loved Bugs, Bunny and Looney Tunes, but they show those on Saturday mornings. But that was something you could get every that you could get that on the weekdays.
Speaker 4: You could get coming home from school or before you have to go to school.
Speaker 1: So why prioritize it on Saturday morning?
Speaker 4: He got, Yeah, So yeah, I really enjoyed.
Speaker 5: There was a cartoon called Galaxy High that I really liked that was just about a bunch of because I was probably in grade school or junior high, but it was about like teenagers in a high school, but it.
Speaker 4: Was a space high school.
Speaker 5: Whoa. And that was one of my favorite ones. And that ran I think for I kind of was like looking up because memory is faulty. It was looking up and like, oh that ran for several seasons. That would like ran for like two seasons, or at least they just maybe just kept showing the first season for a second season.
Speaker 4: Those two were big Saturday morning ones.
Speaker 5: There was a thunder, the Barbarian was a big one pole position about some guys who drove these fancy cars that could kind of fly around.
Speaker 4: Those are the big ones.
Speaker 5: I was honestly really just the whole The idea that there were three channels showing just cartoons for like four hours if you got up at six am was just such like it was just like gorging on candy.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that's so exciting, fun the best.
Speaker 3: Now it sounds like you really planned things out, like you were really scheduling things, whereas I don't know where you fall on this, Jonah, I feel like personally, the thing about TV when I was a kid was I just it was I felt like I had no control over it.
Speaker 1: I didn't really know how to schedule it.
Speaker 3: I just felt like if I turned on the TV and Jem was on, it was like the best day of my life. Like I didn't really know how to like regularly watch stuff. And when I was reading some of this research on Saturday morning cartoons, so many shows that I loved, I didn't really even remember that they were on Saturday mornings.
Speaker 1: But Jonah, do you feel like you scheduled them?
Speaker 2: Like do you know, I feel like I was not you know, I feel like I woke up and then kind of turned it on and just flipped around whatever.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Muppa Babies of Tea, Ninja Turtles are on. It's God, That's that's where I'm staying, right.
Speaker 1: And then it seems like a lot of those shows that did have success, for example, Teenage Mutan Ninja Turtles moved on to like a weekday type of a thing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's called syndication. When you get a certain amount of episodes, it gets syndicated. But as you probably know this having been on set.
Speaker 3: Right, right, Yeah, they just didn't even realize those shows were on Saturday mornings ever, right, But some of them, but they were.
Speaker 5: And then some of them just kind of got stuck there on Saturday mornings, which is kind of and they you know, they do. They would do a weird thing because when I was looking at this trying to refresh my memory, I was just like looking up like Saturday Morning Programming nineteen eighty six to eighty seven or whatever, and like they would move the time slots around like mid season.
Speaker 4: All the time. Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it seems crazy. But also they're little kids who they're not going to.
Speaker 3: Remember, right, We're not going to be like I don't like this program's on on this this time.
Speaker 2: I'm busy at this time. Yeah, it's like what are you going to do? You can clean?
Speaker 3: But do you remember that they targeted at least in the maybe this is late eighties early nineties, they really started targeting say No to drugs stuff like in between yeah, Saturday morning curchies.
Speaker 1: And there's this one ad that I always try to find.
Speaker 3: I always going to a deep dive where this kid's like skateboarding through this dark town and it's like he's just skateboarding kind of like pasted a lot of drugs and stuff, and then that are sort of personified and then at the end it's like say no to drugs, which is what I think every all of those ads kind of had like some kind of like rock and roll kind of acousta electric guitar like brairals say No to Drugs, which did as a kid, make you be like, Okay, it is cool to say no to drugs, Like, yeah, there's cool music.
Speaker 1: This kid's acting so cool.
Speaker 3: He's saying no to like the personified smoke or whatever.
Speaker 1: And this rocks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they definitely didn't prepare you for the fact that drugs were going to be offered to you by somebody was actually like a really nice and cool friend, you know, like a friend that like is a close friend that you've known your whole life. That it wasn't gonna be a horrible monster that SLINKs out of an alley.
Speaker 3: You know, or it's not gonna be like some like mean kid who's like everyone's doing it so you have to do it too, because the.
Speaker 1: Peer pressure thing was such a part of it.
Speaker 3: But you're right, it's like it's probably gonna be a cool, nice person you respect.
Speaker 5: Yeah, nobody wants to punch you to make you do the drugs that they worked hard to get, probably.
Speaker 1: That they paid money for.
Speaker 3: They're not going to be like, take my drugs for free, or I'll be mad at you when I paid all this money for them.
Speaker 4: Gonna punch you in the arm real hard.
Speaker 2: Mike, What was your kind of like were you snacking on anything where we're watching these cartoons or what's your.
Speaker 5: We had a we had a pretty pretty sugarless cereal how we are. The one indulgence we got was honey nut cheeriosa so good.
Speaker 1: Have you tried those today?
Speaker 4: Yes? They stand up big time, they do. I eat them raw. I rawed a lot them.
Speaker 5: Just handfuls in the thing, handfuls in the box.
Speaker 4: Just eat them. There's fallen through my fingers.
Speaker 1: They're so good.
Speaker 3: A lot of I feel like, I know, like some of my friends who our parents have, we'll pack cheerios in a little baggy for their kids or whatever, and I'm like, why don't.
Speaker 1: I do that for myself? Why don't you pack me any you know?
Speaker 5: And it was as a kid, it was the greatest in that like they did it. They did a real sneaky move by making cheerios sugary, you know, because cheerios were so obviously like the healthy cereal or whatever, are promoted as the healthy cereal. So the fact that that glaze of honey on them was just manufeeq.
Speaker 2: I was big into Raisin Brand Crunch You remember that one?
Speaker 4: Oh that was so yeah.
Speaker 1: That was such a sugar cereal disguison.
Speaker 3: Got It's Raisin brand, but it's Can you imagine anything more fun than just sitting and eating cereal and watching Saturday morning cartoons?
Speaker 1: I want to do it right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is, that would be, and it is weird.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 5: There's a couple of things that I try not to be to like kind of like the south By Southwest thing. I try not to be too like negative about, like things have changed.
Speaker 4: And I'm the old is good.
Speaker 5: And bad is true, but it is a little bit of a it is a little bit of a sad thing that kids probably don't experience Saturday morning cartoons, Like I did you know that, Like video rental stores is like a thing that like, oh man, I'm so bummed that people don't We'll never get to really experience that again, because that was like another an older highlight of my life. But like definitely Saturday morning cartoons. It's like, yeah, there's no there's kids don't probably even watch TV.
Speaker 4: They watch like YouTube or streamers.
Speaker 5: Or whatever, and it's just all on demand and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I did some research on this. Yeah, it started. The Saturday morning cartoons kind of started at Saturday and Sunday mornings and the big three television networks, as you said, started in the mid sixties, so the mid two thousands, and yeah, it just kind of declined I think in the mid two thousands, I think, just because of people's habits and everything, and probly the iPhone and then how these kids are, Like do you remember beta testing this app as a kid or something?
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, this is interesting though. Cable television networks have revived the practice of debuting their most popular animated programming on Saturday and Sunday mornings on a sporadic basis interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe, I don't know. I have no idea really.
Speaker 1: If that still happened, I'm going to maybe test it out on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, try it turn on them because I'm.
Speaker 4: Interested to know.
Speaker 1: There's so many of the cartoons, like the ones that I loved were like Garfield.
Speaker 4: Was huge, was a big Garfield fan.
Speaker 3: Huge was Heathcliff on Saturday mornings because I used to get them confused and go, okay, I guess the difference is that Garfield lives kind of a lux life in Eastlasagna and sort of like just Annoys Jim and Heathcliff lives in lives in a bunch of cans.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then and then you had Clifford whose.
Speaker 1: Clifford the big red Dog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's kind of thing too.
Speaker 5: There was a show called Garfield and Friends, and it was like half was Garfield, but half was like the same style of art, but it was a bunch of people that lived on a farm. And there was an egg that hadn't hatched, but just its feet were out and walk around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Garfield, and I feel like, yeah, you would focus on the other characters.
Speaker 1: And there were other animals too.
Speaker 4: There were other animals.
Speaker 5: There was a bunch of other animal It was like a sidecard that was like the and Friends part of it.
Speaker 4: It had its own show.
Speaker 5: And yeah, there was like ducks and maybe some pigs, but mostly remember the one egg with the feet that's come out that is not real like it was.
Speaker 4: It was. I think they were introducing like.
Speaker 5: Like childhood anxiety because it was scared to crack open. It wanted to kind of stay in the in the in the egg womb of sorts.
Speaker 2: Yes, so the eggs name is Sheldon, and this is from us Acres, us Acres, yes, yes, yes, yeah, And he didn't want to come out of his show, which Sheldon.
Speaker 3: We got their producer Olivia saying you can watch it on Peacock. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I now that you've said that, Mike, I think I liked Garfield and Friends more than I liked regular Garfield.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was more fun to have more characters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you get more lasagna.
Speaker 1: Did you know, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know if you knew this, that our cat growing up who resembled Garfield, Pumpkin, who was a long haired orange cat.
Speaker 2: I remember the cat.
Speaker 3: I gave him the middle name Garfield, so his official name was Pumpkin Garfield Bayer.
Speaker 1: Did you know that.
Speaker 2: I vaguely remember this and that I thought about recently. But yeah, very very creative.
Speaker 3: That's how much. Yeah, Garfield is very influential. Yeah, Pumpkin Garfield Beyer.
Speaker 5: I remember noticing at one point that I think the guy who does Garfield's voice is the same guy who did Peter Venkman's voice on The Real Ghostbusters. Really yeah, I remember definitely hearing voices through different cartoons.
Speaker 4: There was a lot of people.
Speaker 5: And then when I got older, I was so freaked out because Dungeons and Dragons, which is that cartoon that I liked, had the voice of Donnie Most from Happy Days, Ralph mau from Happy Days of the Name Guys, and Willie Ames from Charles in Charge was like one of the main guys, just super recognizable people that like, I can't believe I never noticed.
Speaker 1: That it's shot.
Speaker 3: I texted you on earlier this week because I saw this thing on social media that the voice of night Rider was mister Feenie from Gerald Yeah, and I was like.
Speaker 5: What, I want to make a Shazam app that nails people's voices and commercials, because sometimes there'll be a car commercial and I'm like, I know this actor and it will Yeah, it will torture me forever.
Speaker 2: Yeaheah, that's good. Did you guys ever see that comic Garfield Minus Garfield?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's really great and I should check out It's someone went through and took Garfield out of all the comics, so it's just Jim talking to himself and it's like makes it like very dark and like exos. Yeah, it's really cool.
Speaker 1: It's really funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Mike. Do you remember the Speaking of Saturday Morning, the Saturday Morning Cartoons soundtrack where a lot of like punk and alternative bands made these songs. Yeah, I remember that. I was trying to look it up. I look for it on Spotify and there's like a few of the songs are there, but it's like, you know, a lot of these soundtracks they're missing a lot. Yeah, the premise of the show, it was, it was a soundtrack. It came out in ninety five, and it was like all these alternative bands covering Saturday Morning Cartoon shows. So that the Ramones covered Spider Man. It was like Sponge Liz where.
Speaker 4: They're covered like the Banana Splits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is it a show or is it this is a soundtrack? This is a but it was like a lot of them big alternative bands of the you know, Tody, Sublime, Face to Face is on it, dig some Helmet, Collective Soul. Of course.
Speaker 1: How would one find this? What is it?
Speaker 2: It's called it's called Saturday Morning Cartoon's Greatest Hits. So it's just a soundtrack from ninety five. Like I said, it's not really on stream. It's probably on YouTube. But there was a song by band Vanessa really likes, Frontage Love Frente. Yeah, they cover the Flintstones song theme song.
Speaker 1: Okay, gotta check this out as asap.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the name of the Flintstone song is called Open Up Your Heart and Let Sunshine In.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a song everyone knows from the Flintstone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I guess it's a song that was first written in nineteen fifty four, Okay.
Speaker 5: Is that maybe from an episode where there was a band in the episode?
Speaker 2: I think It says that the most famous recording featured Pebbles and Bam Bam performing the song during the closing credits of the show's last season, and it says although they they formed a rock band as teenagers in the seventies, this was kind of their biggest hit. Okay, So so it sounds like Pebbles and Bambam peak Hunter early with their musical career.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, right, right, as so many people do.
Speaker 4: That happened to me? Happened to me?
Speaker 3: Now, Jonah, you found this really interesting article that's six cringe worthy Saturday morning celebrity cartoons from the eighties and nineties.
Speaker 2: Curious if you remember any of these, because I didn't.
Speaker 1: One of them.
Speaker 3: I remembered, and I remember being a huge fan of these celebrities and still not want to yatcha.
Speaker 5: I'm guessing a lot of these had the celebrity in live action come and intro of the cartoon, because that happened, yeah right, Yeah, they.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't actually be their voice in the cartoons, but they do these like interstitials that were probably way easier for them to do and way less of a commitment, and they still probably got paid.
Speaker 2: Yeeah. So there was this article in Collider about it. MC hammer had one called Hammerman don't touch this, where it was he did voice the character some of these, some of these cartoons they actually had like no one from the bands involved or the celebrities, but your voice is character. Do you remember that at all, Mike?
Speaker 4: Those I don't remember.
Speaker 1: Okay, Oh, I think the article says don't touch this?
Speaker 2: Oh gotcha? That's not the name of the right looks.
Speaker 3: Like it was written by you, Jonah, because the introduction of each show makes like kind of a kind of a punny smart This one.
Speaker 2: Was bad enough that no one wanted to touch it, something I would very Jonah. The next one is the New Kids on the Block. They call say the Wrong Stuff, which yeah, I think not the name. But do you remember that one that I remember?
Speaker 3: Remember that, I remember it coming out and just I don't know if I saw it once and realized it wasn't their real voices or I don't know. I just remember having no interest in it. And what's so funny is that is that this article says that it was like in a lot of these cartoons, the celebrities were heroes, but but in this one, the members of New Kids on the Block are just trying to navigate a life of fame, and like they'd find themselves in situations where they like wanted to be treated as ordinary people but were discovered by fans and cornered and needed help escaping.
Speaker 1: Like it seems like such a bad idea for a show.
Speaker 3: It seems like so not relatable, and oh yeah, to see them just be surrounded by fans and have to get out of the situation.
Speaker 5: It's like it's like if they made a Saturday in the morning cartoon of entourage.
Speaker 4: I'm just let's Vinny Chase getting into this week? Is he gonna make the deal?
Speaker 2: What disguise is he gonna wear to go to the grocery store?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like, what about this appeals to kids?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, that's a bizarre one. We also got a Mister T, which I guess lasted three seasons.
Speaker 4: Remember the Mister T Do I do? Yeah?
Speaker 5: And I think I'm pretty sure he did little interstitials of coming on like definitely, like it was a very all his stuff was very like anti drug, anti bullying, anti.
Speaker 1: Yes, they had a moral to every episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So this is a really interesting one. This one is about a trio of celebrity athletes called pro Stars, and it's Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, and Bo Jackson.
Speaker 3: And I.
Speaker 2: Remember working on like the Ozone crisis, rainforest pollution, and it said they didn't voice the characters.
Speaker 3: It's also so again, these guys are making so much money by just like licensing their likenesses and then.
Speaker 1: They don't have to do any work. They don't have to do voiceovers at all.
Speaker 3: They just get to like come in and like while they're already at work, like record a festered.
Speaker 5: I've gotten lucky enough to record a couple voiceovers for some There's like a Japanese animation company that buys all Japanese animation in Dallas, and back when I lived there, I did a bunch of voiceovers for I never like got any lead characters, but I'd like go in for like three or four hours and just do one hundred different not one hundred, but like ten different guys, you know, Villain number two or Villager number six and what huh and a lot of stuff like that, for like Dragon ball Z and some shows like that. But it was the easiest job ever and it was most fun too. I can't imagine turning that gig down.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love doing voiceover stuff. It's so fun. It's so easy. You can literally wear your sweatpants, which since the pandemic, is all I really ever do anyway, But it's it's great.
Speaker 1: Jonah. What about this next one, which I might remember.
Speaker 2: Hul Cogan's Rock Rock and Wrestling.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I remember remember that one? You do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is yeah, this is a bunch of wrestlers and I think, yeah, yeah, Andre.
Speaker 4: The Giant was one of them.
Speaker 5: And I don't think it was his real voice, but Andre the Giant having I think he was like Austrian or somewhere Eastern block, so we had this very thick accent. And I remember an episode where they found a baby elephant and he kept saying baby elephant. And that's just a random thing stuck in my head of me and my brothers baby elephant.
Speaker 3: Well, this this article does. Is The weird thing about this show is there was little wrestling. Instead, the show focused on strange plots like cleaning Mean Jean's house or Hulk Hogan becoming Robin Hulk and defending Sherwood Forrest with his merry band of wrestlers and after getting contact machine.
Speaker 2: Do you think at any point like the writers were like, it seems a little too hot there. I think we got to reel it back in a little bit. Maybe the time travel feels.
Speaker 5: I think they should have used that in the in the squared circle up there?
Speaker 4: Do that in the ring for real?
Speaker 2: Well? I think that also. My memory is that also wrestling was on, like WWF wrestling was.
Speaker 3: On right right right, So when I watch them wrestle, when you can watch cartoons of them cleaning up rodge or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where does a vacuum cleaner go? Anyways? And the last one is a Kid and Play had a cartoon oh wow, And they didn't voice their own characters, but there were live action segments that also included Saltan Pepper cool Mode, and it was focused on how to help kids make good choices and stay out of trouble. Unfortunately, yeah, I don't think this.
Speaker 3: It was really cheesy, so so the lessons didn't really get learned, and no one watched it, it sounds what.
Speaker 5: Did little kids like Kid and Play Too, Like that felt like such a teenager kind of Yeah, like like.
Speaker 2: Hits, he kind of crossed over, I think into like being kind of like a kind of cultural like pop culture phenomenon.
Speaker 3: I think, well, yeah, they had the movie in nineteen ninety House Party, which was a huge success, and I think maybe the creators maybe thought it aired from September to December nineteen ninety, so it kind of came out at the same time. Maybe there was a big kid in Play push and in the movie for teenagers and adults at work great, and in this animated show that seems like it absolutely stunk. Kidd in Play seems like having them go from like having a house party and a movie and probably like kind of trying to get out of trouble to teaching lessons in a cartoon.
Speaker 2: Do you remember that that Kid and Played Like they had that kind of famous dance where it's like you you do it so kinograt. Yeah, I think like everyone would try to do it, but like no one really knew how to do it, Like you'd be just like kicking your friends sort of like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was hard to coordinate it. They were really pretty talented dancers.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, they could do that thing where they hold where you hold your foot and then you jump and make your foot go through the loop of you holding the foot right.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I remember my friends trying to do that dance and copy them, and I remember being like, there's just no way this.
Speaker 1: I don't even want to try and do this. It looks you.
Speaker 4: Could get Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, Mike, you know you famously have have have gotten hurt, you know during live performances jumping off things. Have you ever tried to do like a kid and play tight move off like gage on stage off maybe like a pa or some I don't know, Uh, dare accept.
Speaker 3: Now, Jony, you said, Mike has famously got And I'd like to hear about just one example of one of these injuries, if it's not too painful or recount.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the worst.
Speaker 5: My little heart just makes me want to go for it up there. And one time, this was actually at south By Southwest we were playing this. We would play in this little bar called the Jackalobe that we would play every year. It was like a free show and just have as many people come in. It was kind of like a side like an unofficial show, and I jumped off a bar and I timed it poorly because like during the set, I went and got they let me pour drinks for everybody, Like while I was singing, I was like pouring shots and I gave and they were giving out shots. So everybody was holding up their shot glasses. And I jumped into the crowd forgetting that everyone's sweet sweet booze was a lot more precious to them than catching old Mike.
Speaker 2: Gosh, and I.
Speaker 5: Fell and I collapsed my lung. I collapsed.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I was in the hospital for about a week with a tube in between my ribs, kind of working it out.
Speaker 4: Learned a valuable lesson that day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm glad you're okay.
Speaker 4: And yeah, me too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's feels like what did you do? You remember what you did? Right after? You felt like were you unconscious.
Speaker 5: Or were you Like I finished this, I tried finishing the song. It was the last song in the set, Okay, But I finished this song, but it sounded I think it probably sounded like when you have a balloon that has a like a like a rip in the balloon and you're trying to blow it up. It just kind of this right, oh flapping airy thing. It was pretty It was pretty bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well, and I also just want to give a plug to my like I said, Robot Gamble, it's one of my favorite bands. Like, my wife kind of makes fun of me because, like I say, like every band, She's like, how many bands are like your favorite band? Guy, Mike's one of my favorite bands. She's like, you say that like four times a day about different bands. But but yeah, and I know something to crow about just got re released. And yeah, I did a bio for you guys for Vocal a long time ago for The Wolf You Feed, which is still like one of my favorite record, like just an amazing record, and all the other stuff you do and broken Gold with Ian and on all you guys. I'm just such a big fan of.
Speaker 4: Every Oh thanks Jonah.
Speaker 3: Okay, Jonah's absolutely geeking out. So it's time to take a commercial break.
Speaker 2: But we'll be right back with Mike. Weaby and we are back.
Speaker 3: We have a game to play with you now, Mike and Jonah loves kind of a pop culture phrase, which is congratulations, you played yourself, So he's decided to name this game. Congratulations, you played yourself?
Speaker 1: Product edition, Congratulations you played yourself? Yeah, Jonah, do you want to explain it?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah. So this is a new segment. This is going to be a reoccurring segment for at least a couple episodes where we discussed three products that were discontinued in twenty twenty three and pick one of them we'd like to bring back. In other words, which one of these corporations completely played themselves? So there I will pick. So basically from CNM business this article, we'll pick three of these things I got discontinued last year, and then we decide which one we want to bring back. I guess the logic being if you discontinued something that we want to bring back, you played yourself. So the first one is the Duncucino. So it's one of the most recognizable drinks at Dunkin Donuts. It was added to the menus in two thousand and it was supposed to be a unique blend of coffee and hot chocolate. There was a frozen version. Two Duncan Donuts didn't say why they discontinued it, but people are speculating it's because it just wasn't selling. Well. I guess there is a hack where if you order a hot chocolate with a turbo shot of express espresso, that can sound similar to a Dunkecino, but basically after you know, two decades of Duncacino's gone, Mike, any any thoughts about the duncucino discontinue.
Speaker 5: We here in Texas, we don't have very many dunkin Donuts. They're not as prevalent as they are in other parts. So I've never had a Dunkecino, but I definitely know about the duncacino from mostly from online. But it was in that al Pacino in that Adam Sandler movie did a whole rap where he was going dunk dunk dunk caucino really and it was it was the al Pacino. Yeah, it's really funny, and it's it's where al Pacino's promoting dunccino as and and he's just singing a bunch of lines from various like really famous.
Speaker 4: Uh. I can't remember what Adam Sandler movie is. I think maybe maybe Jack and Jill maybe.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, yes, our producer Olivia saying it's sirm Jack and Jill.
Speaker 2: Okay, I haven't seen that one, which is weird because I've been watching a lot of like later early two thousands era Adam Sandler movies recently, because there are some bizarre ones like I'm watching Click and all of these kind of yeah yeah yeah yeah dunks. Okay, So no strong feelings.
Speaker 4: I don't have strong feelings.
Speaker 5: It sounds like it sounds like something too sugary from me, like drink wise, I tend to like my coffee just straight black, So I'm probably not going to fight for this to come back.
Speaker 2: Sure that's fair, Vanessa, what are your thoughts on.
Speaker 1: The jo No, what did you say the hack was for this again? That you could order it shot?
Speaker 2: I think it's like a hot chocolate with espresso or.
Speaker 4: Shot of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean I let's let's also say, like, okay, like is this really a hack? I don't know, like you know, let's well give this too much credit.
Speaker 3: Well, I was just gonna say, I just don't know a ton of adults, which generally adults are who drink coffee. I don't know a ton of adults who are like I want to have a coffee that's also hot chocolate. So it doesn't seem like a huge loss to me, although I guess maybe this was more for the teenage market because I remember as a teenager I was always ordering Cafe mochas because I was like, I'm being cool and drinking coffee. But at the same time, it just sort of tastes like hot chocolate but just not quite as good. So yeah, I just don't know the dunk Chino I am. I'm surprised because I feel like, maybe because of that movie, but that name is so recognizable as someone who's always lived in areas that are around a lot of Duncan Donuts. But I don't know, I don't feel super strongly about it. I feel more strongly about it in that it's such a recognizable name, unless that like I'm like, oh, I can't get a hot chocolate coffee at Duncan Donuts, which already sounds pretty disgusting. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Jonah, how do you feel about this?
Speaker 2: Look, it's no secret my feelings about Duncan. I live. I live the opposite of you, Mike. I live in an area where there's like one every like twenty feet. Yeah, and you know, I've had my own issues with our local dunkle Donuts. I have emailed with their management about certain things i'd like to see change, which haven't.
Speaker 1: Always getting it. They probably love you there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and now you know I have my own kind of home espresso set up. I can be a little snobby about coffee. Yeah. This, this to me is something I would never order unless it was on their rewards app. What was like, spend like five cents and you get it for free. But the way they've restructured the reward system that you know that's never going to happen.
Speaker 1: Don't get you all started.
Speaker 2: That's a whole other. So yeah, so no, I don't know. I don't know. It's a I don't like the really sugary stuff either, so I would say no in this one. Yeah, Vanessa, what about you? What's the next one here?
Speaker 3: Okay, So the next one is Raspberry Rally cookies. This is a Girl Scouts cookie, and they say while Raspberry Rally was extremely popular last year, they're taking a pause this season to prioritize supplying their classic varieties. They introduced this cookie last year as a sister cookie to the iconic Thin Mints, but in the Raspberry Rally the cookie part is replaced with a bright pink berry flavored part. So I guess that's instead of the peppermint, it's raspberry, and it's dipped in the same chocolate coating, And I guess the news that it wasn't coming back created an online shopping spree, with some people some chapters reporting they sold out of the five dollar boxes in less than a day. Resellers are selling them on eBay for as much as thirty dollars a box. So the raspberry Rally cookie again in vision of thin mint, but instead of mint, it's raspberry.
Speaker 1: How do you feel, Mike? Are you?
Speaker 4: Are you?
Speaker 1: Are you gonna miss these?
Speaker 2: Are you?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 4: I never got a chance to try those, but they sound delicious. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't know if they sound going through eBay and getting thirty bucks for them, but it sounds.
Speaker 4: It sounds good.
Speaker 5: It sounds I mean, I'm generally a fan of all the girls Scout cookies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know. To me, I find it so interesting these these cultural phenomenons with these products, because I just saw an article this week about you know that company Stanley that makes make those mugs. Oh yeah, there's this pink Valentine's Day Stanley mug and target has them, and like people are stampeding to get them, and it's like why because you're told this is an important thing. Like it's so weird how these things catch on. How is this different than any other color scarcity? Yeah, yeah, but it's really it's like kind of marketing, like how do they figure out to get people to care about this stuff? And kind of with these cookies, like yeah, they sound good, but it's also like my mind always goes to, oh, maybe this is like a strategic move where they get everyone, yeah, continue there on purpose. Yeah, with all this stuff, with all these products, it's like do they just take them away to bring them back? Mike? Almost like when a band's like we're breaking up and then like a year later they're like, now it's a reunion, and it it gets people excited out. Sometimes.
Speaker 5: I wonder that's the classic Coke new coke theory. Yeah, yeah, because remember when they took they took classic coke away, or they took Coke away and made new coke and then brought back Coca Cola classic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know, so yeah, to Mike's point, yeah, I think Raspberry I like Raspberry. I like sounds good the meant but it's if it's not there, then like, oh, I want to try some cookie, they don't have it, I'll guess something else.
Speaker 3: I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm not jumping on eBay and starting to bid and more. Vanessa, what about you?
Speaker 3: Well, I just want to be clear with the listeners that nowhere in this article does it say it was a marketing move. I think that that's Jonah's that's something Jonah thinks might be happening behind the scenes, and that's quite possibvetial.
Speaker 2: That's quite possible.
Speaker 3: It's actually probably a really smart move by them to be like changing up the cookies every so often, because then probably the ones that aren't available anymore always get sold out right away. The reason that I don't feel like we need to bring these back, but I sort of agree with what Girl Scouts did here is because I always get bummed out when I go to buy Girl Scout cookies and it's all these new flavors, Like I just want to buy the nostalgic ones. I feel like the basic original nostalgic ones were so good that it's sometimes a bummer when it's like the only ones we have left are these ones that are I've never heard of before, and I don't know. I just feel like Girl Scout cookies are so good and there's no need to really mess with the originals. But also I probably sound like a Karen right now, So so I don't know. Jonah, do you want to read this last story?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So the last one is, uh, there's an article standing in here. Foodies are devis stated that Ronzoni will discontinue its beloved star shaped pastina. So pasta brand Ronzoni has announced their discontinuing its pastina product, which is a little star shaped pasta. They posted earlier this month on Instagram. We hear you and greatly appreciate your love for Ronzoni Pastina. After extensive efforts, regretfully announced that ron Pastina is being discontinued. This wasn't a decision that we wanted to make. It says that you know this was due to a long term supplier that announce wo no longer be able to make pastina starting in January twenty twenty three. They said they searched for an alternative solution, but we're unable to identify viable option to make pastina and the same beloved small shape, size and standards you've come to expect from ronzon So. Yeah, so they're basically saying, I don't know. The pasta company they buy it from was like our star machine's broken. Yeah, I don't know. What do you two think about the ron Zoni pastina discontinue, Mike, what do you think it?
Speaker 5: Just this smells like some sort of lie. There's some sort of cover up going here. Yeah, there's somebody's not telling that you're they're pulling the wool over the American public's eyes with this pasta zone debacle.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because it doesn't seem like it would be that complicated to cut pasta in different shape.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're very tiny, I will say that of that.
Speaker 2: Okay, Ivan, that's just speaking up for big Pasta.
Speaker 3: But I just want to give a shout out to our dad right now because what you just said, Mike reminded me of this one time. Jonah does not remember this. I've already asked him that our dad confronted He confronted someone he worked on I think it was his old boss, and he told him, he said, you're not going to pull the wool, and then he pretended to pull wool over his eyes and.
Speaker 1: Then he SAIDs over my eyes.
Speaker 3: And I remember him coming home and telling us about when he did this, and it was so crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you gotta min it out, you mind o wool over my eyes?
Speaker 5: You give it a space in between wool and over my eyes to actually pull down that wool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do not remember this, but I have no doubt that it happened.
Speaker 3: It's very tat I will say that I feel I actually feel like it is sad that this went away because I just, first of all, I want to say I never knew it existed because I thought those Little Stars.
Speaker 1: Only came in certain soups.
Speaker 3: I didn't know you could buy the Little Star pasta on its own, or else I would have been buying that stuff day and night. But I think it's sad it's going away. But again, it's sort of like who am I to speak when I didn't I've never bought it, and I didn't know it existed as a product on its own. So I think it's sad it's going away. But I also it just feels like it's, you know, now it's twenty twenty four. It feels like, you know, for a company to be like, there's nothing we can do.
Speaker 1: This company that used to the pasta says.
Speaker 3: It feels, uh, what's what's really happening?
Speaker 4: You know what I mean, hands are tied. It's impossible.
Speaker 5: Technology, the technology doesn't exist anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right right right, yeah, and so this article as that says pastina is a smaller shape that runs Zoni cells the corner to their website. The petite five pointed stars are typically cooked in soups with cheese and eggs.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, you know when you get soup and it has little stars in it and you go, Okay, I guess this rocks. That's what I'm That's when I'm envisioning. Yeah, yeah, continue making star pasta that's bigger sized stars.
Speaker 2: It sounds to me like they are. It sounds to me it's just a small star. The technology, I know, it's crazy. We can like three D print a house, but they can't figure do this.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be honest and say, I don't even know that I need the star. In this photo that I'm looking at, the stars are so small that I'm like, they just you can't even see. I want the stars to be a little bigger anyway, So I'm not I'm not feeling too strongly about this, Jonah, how do you feel?
Speaker 2: Okay? Yeah, yeah, I don't know. It's fine. I feel like, in the scope of things that I'm concerned about that I want to put my energy into petitioning about this. One's so far down on the list that it it's yeah, it's hard for me to even register. But you know, but yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Sure, Okay, So between Dunkecino, Raspberry Rally Cookies, and Pastina Pasta, which one do you wish was going back into production?
Speaker 5: Mic Oh, I believe the Girl Scout Cookies the Raspberry.
Speaker 4: Okay, And I mean I'm sure I would like the pasta.
Speaker 5: But more than wanting the pasta back, I just don't want to be lied to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, fair, fair Vanessa. What about you?
Speaker 3: I think it weirdly, I'm going to go for the Dunkacino just because I feel like it's such a classic drink. And my other thing is, like, I know, you don't think it's that much of a hack, Jonah, of just getting a hot chocolate and putting a shot of espresso in it. But I can't imagine. It's hard to have the ingredients on hand to make a dunkecino if they already have stuff for hot chocolates and for coffees. But but I'm not you know, I don't own a franchise of you know, I don't own one of the stores. I don't know what goes into it. So but I will just say, from a nostalgic point of view and knowing the name of it, Duncacino.
Speaker 2: What about your Jonah, I'm gonna just, you know, just to maybe play devil advocate here, I'm going to go with the pastina. Like I said, looks, you know, if this is really the only one like this, I don't know. Maybe it's nice to have for these egg and cheese soups people are eating all the time. And I would also say that I think all three of these products will be back in twenty twenty five. Oh yeah, yeah, that's my prediction. So let's check in next January. Let's see where.
Speaker 1: We're Yeah, put it on our cows.
Speaker 2: Put it on our cows. So is that a phrase?
Speaker 1: I think? Yeah, put it on the cow.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, yeah, So Mike, what and I thing to promote? Where can people find out about you? You know, you got so many bands, you got so much going on. What's where can people find out more?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: Instagram is a fine space. Rs Mike Weabet on Instagram. Yeah, and there's a new Riverboat Gamblers just reissued a our record, Something to Crow About, and then there'll be a new Dracula's record coming out sometime in this new year.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure when, though.
Speaker 2: Amazing, And speaking of the Ramones and Saturday Morning cartoons, your cover covered my favorite Ramote song with the Gamblers Bonso goes to Bitberg.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that was so fun.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, incredible cover. But yeah, check out all Mike's bands are all incredible. Ben Vanessa's going to make fun of me for complimenting Mike so much, but he deserves it, so I'm just going to do it any he does.
Speaker 3: He does, And but I was going to say, Jonah's geeking out again, so it's time for our outro. That was really fun. Thanks so much to Mike for joining us and everyone for listening. If you enjoyed this, please subscribe to the podcast and keep an eye up for next week's episode of How Did.
Speaker 1: We Get Where, where we'll discuss more stories from.
Speaker 3: Our childhood and cultural touchstones like Saturday Morning cartoons.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Mike, Thanks Mike, Thank you,