Speaker 1: Hello puzzlers, and welcome to the Puzzler Podcast, the Diced Tomato in your Daily Puzzle Burrito. I am your host, A J. Jacobs, and I'm here with our guests, the brilliant Andy Borowitz of The Borowitz Report.
Speaker 2: Welcome Andy, thanks for having me, AJ. You're welcome. Andy.
Speaker 1: If I said the phrase bad wintry zoo, what would come to mind? Bad wintry zoo?
Speaker 3: This sounds very tricky. I mean a bad wintry zoo. I think of like the Arctic. I think of are we going for a rhyme? Are we going for Nope?
Speaker 2: No, We're going for you.
Speaker 1: We are coming for you, Andy Borowitz, because it is an anagram of Andy Borowitz.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, anagrams. Now, that's right, that's right, that's what we're doing. I should have brought a scratch pad.
Speaker 2: Well you mind ned one? Yeah? Actually, Choir Nealie recommend.
Speaker 3: You're foiled AJ, because right in my desk where I'm sitting, I have you heard the drawer opening? That wasn't like a sound effect, that was actually my drawer opening. I am holding a pencil and I have a piece of paper, and I love anagrams. I can't say I'm good at them.
Speaker 2: And you're putting on your glasses too. You're getting serious.
Speaker 1: So bad wintry a zoo and by the way, another one, which are Chief Puzzle Officer Greg Pliska found not wizard boy, not wizard boy, which seems a little insulting.
Speaker 3: That sounds like a takedown. I think I've read worse about me, but not wizard boy sounds like, you know, this really sounds like ready made for Twitter.
Speaker 2: I agree, Am I not?
Speaker 3: Am I really not wizard boy. I always thought of myself as wizard boy.
Speaker 2: I think of you more as not wizard man.
Speaker 3: So you're not wizard but not a nanogram.
Speaker 2: I think you are. You're a wizard. You're a wizard.
Speaker 1: So anagrams, just to give you some background, are one of the oldest puzzles, date back to the ancient Greeks. They were thought to have divine significance, and we're used to justify wars and as evidence in medieval trials. But today we're not.
Speaker 2: Going to do that.
Speaker 1: We're just going to use them in a puzzle. Today's puzzle consists of anagrams of notable people. Lewis Carroll wrote a famous one for a beloved public figure in England. Flit on, cheering Angel, flit on. This is not part of it because this is a little tricky. But do you know who flit on cheering Angel is Head of nursing founder of Modern Nursingale, Laurence Nightingale. Exactly. All right, So ours are, I think are a little more accessible. There are a mix of ones we found on the internet and ones created by associate puzzler Andrea Schomberg. Okay, ready for the first me radium ace me comma radium ace, sort of a boast.
Speaker 3: Me me radium ace. Well would that be would that be Marie Curie?
Speaker 1: It is, it's actually Madame Currie.
Speaker 2: But I didn't really look. You can't really look at the letters.
Speaker 3: I just said, you know, she seems like a radium ace. I want to say something like, you know, first of all, in her case, she'd be saying moir but in English a j Just so we don't, you know, miseducate your listeners. It really should be I radium ace the subject of the sense. Anyway, I'm moving on the one corrected me about Madame curious. I felt like I had to say.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, correct you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, these anagrams are not necessarily grammatically correct. In fact, uh, this one also falls into that chemera.
Speaker 3: Anna grammatically correct and nice.
Speaker 1: So this one is this one's more more can temporary?
Speaker 2: Go to mister Barbie? Go to mister.
Speaker 3: Barbie and mister is spelled.
Speaker 2: That's a great question, m R.
Speaker 3: Just mr, Okay, you see that really screwed me up exactly if I hadn't asked go to mister Barbie.
Speaker 1: Comma Barbie, so you're you're a dressing Barbie to go to her mister who in this case is Ken, and Ken in this particular case might be played by handsome actor Ryan Gosling.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm, oh yeah, I just can't remember who is playing who's playing Barbie in that?
Speaker 1: Well, that's why you have all the letters.
Speaker 3: I know. Is this Margot Robbie.
Speaker 2: It is Margot Robbie.
Speaker 3: Okre you go, yeah, it's really good. Margot Robbie is really good.
Speaker 1: She is very talented, and she has an appropriate anagram which probably doesn't even know about.
Speaker 3: That's very clever.
Speaker 2: Into your wheel.
Speaker 1: That was by Andrea, So thanks Andrea. This one was not by Andrea. This is sort of a famous political one. He bugs Gore. He bugs Gore.
Speaker 3: Would it be George Bush?
Speaker 2: It would be George Bush.
Speaker 3: But there's no W in there, so it's a little you know, it's not George W. Bush. Oh, yes, but that is his name. It was also his dad's name, and he did bug Gore.
Speaker 2: I would be bugged too.
Speaker 1: If I lost to someone who got fewer popular votes than me, I would also be bugged.
Speaker 3: I think it's a trend in recent elections.
Speaker 1: Actually, exactly, all right, we got two more. I am a weakish speller. I am a weakish speller. Also, this is kind of a famous one. I'll give you another one. I'll give you another one with the same name. Wait, I'll make a wise phrase. I'll make a wise phrase.
Speaker 3: I'll make a wise phrase. Wow. Yes, Well there's a K in here. K seems like a letter that you do not see in everybody's name. So that should that should be to me, That should be helpful to me. But I'm drawing a blank. You have any more clues for me?
Speaker 1: Well, the weakest speller. I looked into it, and it is it is true. He's such a weak speller. He spelled his own name in several different ways, and his last name has been spelled about eighty different ways.
Speaker 3: There're two l's.
Speaker 2: They're two l's.
Speaker 3: I see, is it William K.
Speaker 1: Shakespeare William kay Shakespeare.
Speaker 3: Name?
Speaker 2: That is correct? See you got it?
Speaker 1: And Andrea can tell me if I'm wrong. But according to my research, he himself signed things either as Shakespeare s h A K s p e r E or s h A K s P E R.
Speaker 2: So he was all over the place.
Speaker 3: Wow, And he didn't write the plays anyway.
Speaker 2: So why are we exactly why are we? Who is it some duke who wasn't in the.
Speaker 3: Earl of sandwich? There you go, who didn't invent the sandwich? Shakespeare did that?
Speaker 1: That makes sense, all right? This one is also from Andrea, serving plebes e T Serving plebes e T. Now I found this unnecessarily classist. There's no reason to call these people pleaves.
Speaker 3: Because other people might have enjoyed his his films as well. It's Steven Spielberg.
Speaker 2: It is Steven Spielberg.
Speaker 3: That's that's a clever one. Now I have a question, agent, Yeah, I'm ready. If somebody made a line of colones that were very high class and was really great at inventing those, they're high class colones. That person might be called a tony bo.
Speaker 2: Wizard, boh wizard.
Speaker 3: Do you know who that would be? Now, this person has an actually done this, but if he did, he would be a tony bo wizard. Any guess, Well, I'm guessing.
Speaker 1: I mean there is are you have a wizard in your name? So I was thinking there's another there, and.
Speaker 3: That's Andy Burwitz. Actually, in my next career, I'm going to invent upscale colognes for men. I love it, and no reason I'm doing that is so that that anagram will work.
Speaker 1: I have smelled you, and you smell very fresh, very tony tony, so I'm in. I am a subscriber. If you do, I'll be an angel investor. Well, thank you for playing along, and look at that tony. Before we wrap up. As always, for you puzzlers at home, here is your extra credit. This one also a popular one from the internet. Catch Them Women Guy. This is a catch them Women guy sort of a description of who he is. All right, puzzlers, please don't forget to subscribe to the Puzzler Podcast and I'll meet you here tomorrow for some more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 3: Hello again, puzzlers, this is Greg Kliska with the extra credit answer from our previous show.
Speaker 2: On that show, we were doing some presidential rhyming with Andy Borowitz and we gave you the extra credit clue Harry's spice that gives you a two word rhyming phrase, which is Truman's cooman, Harry Truman and the Spice Cooman.
Speaker 3: I hope you all got that one, and I look forward to enjoying more puzzles with you next time