Speaker 1: Wake that hands up in the morning.
Speaker 2: Breakfast Club, Morning everybody, It's the j n Vy Jess Hilarious Charlamage the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. We got a special guest in the building, Man Kingsley.
Speaker 3: Did I say that right?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, it's playing Bob Marley in the new movie Bob Marley One Love Story, which comes out Valentine's Day.
Speaker 1: Welcome, Nice to be here.
Speaker 3: How you feeling.
Speaker 1: I feel a good nights weekend of sleeping. I feel back.
Speaker 4: Are you w into football? We went to the basketball. I watched some football yesterday. Yeah, I was listening to any on my phone.
Speaker 5: Did you like the halftime?
Speaker 1: Oh? The football?
Speaker 6: I'm talking soccer.
Speaker 1: Football last night. I just I tuned in on my phone. Just see usher.
Speaker 3: Ok, yeah, yeah I watched.
Speaker 1: I watched a little bit of the game, but I don't really know.
Speaker 3: That's how I'm with soccer.
Speaker 4: Big big deal here, it's big.
Speaker 1: But I see I was madness. I forgot I had so many hits.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it just went on and on and then I was back to my when I was eight. When I was eleven, then I was back to when I was sixteen. I was like, wow, he was in full swing.
Speaker 5: He was.
Speaker 4: He didn't look like an older guy who was coming back. He looked like it was like.
Speaker 6: Being he never laught. Like to me, the super Bowl is a celebration, Yeah, you know, a celebration of his his his catalog, his career, you know.
Speaker 1: What I mean, huge cat man.
Speaker 6: That's that's beautiful to have a thirty year catalog and be able to go do that crazy on that stage, especially after the residency last last years.
Speaker 4: Residency on the stage, Okay, because back home is sort of like, yeah, he was a part of my my, my child, of my teens and my twins, and then I feel like he's so disappeared a bit.
Speaker 5: But the other people that came and then he yeah, it was said, but.
Speaker 6: Where you likes it?
Speaker 4: Where they're gone there they're in a cupboard somewhere in the movie. To put him in a box and locked him up.
Speaker 6: Whoever did that did a great job. Usually used to people with dread locks and they look so stupid.
Speaker 4: Marris Morris and Carlum and they put they put they were they were prepping that from the same time when I started prepping. So it was like Morris is a he's a dread specialist and you know, it's not even just the hair he did for me. He took all them boys who came from Jamaica. They're all rasta. So he took out their dreads, you know, by hand, and he put them in like sacred boxes, stored them and then redid their put new dreads in their hair. What are like suit the characters from the time. And then when the film was done, he got their dreads and he put them back in. But for a lot of them, it was it was really emotional and they was doing it for Bob because they love Bob and they're all connected to Bob, you know, a lot of them. A lot of the guys who were playing the band members are the children of the actual band members, so they're all rust and they took out their hair for the film and then they put it back.
Speaker 1: It was a lot, you know, it.
Speaker 6: Was what do you mean he took the hair out like they got it, what do you mean? Took it out?
Speaker 4: So like Sheldon came with his own dreads, real real, real dreads, and then Morris took them out, cut them out, like picked them out and left hair there and put dreads in. And then at the end of the film he's taking out them dreads and then put their original dreads back in. So, yeah, the whole dreads thing was like. That was one of the first conversations I had with ZIGGI. It was like, Yo, authenticity of of how Bob speaks, you know, has to be at the forefront of the side. I can't get involved. And he was the same, you know, and and and also the hair. I was like, it's not I ain't got nothing to do with it, but just make sure that if you need to put ten million into the hair, then that's what we need to do. So, you know, it was Yeah, the hair and the hair and the Bob talk was the top.
Speaker 6: I'm a little slow.
Speaker 3: How the hell do you put the hair back in?
Speaker 1: I ain't got a clue.
Speaker 5: You tutorials on how to put something We're not going to see.
Speaker 3: Regular hell, because they had they would have to cut it out. You have to cut it out.
Speaker 7: And then no, no, no, no no sos. You combed them out like you can comb his hair. Yeah, you calmbed them out, and then you people make the likes that I had liket week last week, the girl made them with out of real hair.
Speaker 5: These are full of these from Amazon like, but you.
Speaker 1: Know, I didn't know that. I didn't know it was a fame.
Speaker 4: I met them once the new hair had been put in, so I only knew them with that hair. I only realized when I see them after that they had different dreads. But yeah, it was a whole I don't know how we found him Morris, because he's he's like, you know, he's a.
Speaker 1: One of a can you know that was in the in the industry.
Speaker 4: You know, he came and he and then he ended up just taking care of a lot of stuff. You know, he was on set with us every day and he's working on the Shauna now, on all.
Speaker 1: Of our work.
Speaker 6: The British accident isn't that much different from the Jamaican accent though, now that I'm hearing you talk, Yeah, because he spent so much time.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I disagree.
Speaker 4: I feel like I feel like, you know, the wind right, like the Black the Black Commune in London anyway was you know, it's a huge Caribbean culture and I feel like a lot of Jamaican dialect has seeped in to London culture. So you know, the way we grew up talking was half Cockney, half Jamaican and that's kind of what the slang is in the UK. But the patois really for me, it's a different language.
Speaker 1: You know. I'll tell you what. We could be in here.
Speaker 4: With two guys from Jamaica who have like from somewhere I don't know, and they could talk for five ten minutes and we won't have a clue what they're saying. Yes, And I found myself in that situation a bunch of times, and I was like, well, this is a whole this is a whole thing. This is not something where I can just like take nine months and learn Jamaican. It just was never going to be one of those ones. So we had a whole operation in place. You know, we had like nine specialists on set. We had Jamaican linguists from the university. They wrote my script and the way that I talk in a in a phonetic language made by Frederick.
Speaker 1: Cassidy, and so it really it really did.
Speaker 4: You know, Like there's part like I had I took months to kind of translate everything Bob was saying.
Speaker 3: I was in time into this film.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was misinterpreting things Bob was saying, you know what I mean it's misinterpreting things he was saying. I wasn't just not understanding. There was things that I thought I understood. And then actually I get Jamaican to come out into my house and help me translate, and he's going, no, no, no, this is saying something else. You're an example in our found with Bob would say this thing when he's saying I found where you know, I found where you know, and he's saying in a in a form where so it was just a connecting sentence. My little things like that in the middle of conversations throw you you know, and like I mean in a in a form where you know, it's just like it's just an expression.
Speaker 1: That he and Bob took the way that Bob talked you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: So I still don't know what that meaning. You said it three times in a form where.
Speaker 5: So it would be like from a standpoint of.
Speaker 1: Exactly right, exactly, And I was like, without Jamaicans, there's no way that I was going to be able to translate something I mean. And the list goes on.
Speaker 4: I mean, I had hundreds of pages of Bob talk where I'm like, I don't know what I don't know what he's saying.
Speaker 5: So would you say that was the most complicated part of the role.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. For sure. Obviously the music I'm starting from scratch.
Speaker 4: But with the music, I'm I was always like, I just get as far as I can get to, you know, and then you can do things with the camera and there's going to be a lot of support there. But I guess with the with the Patois, there was a moment where I thought, oh, let me see how far I can get with this, and then a few months in I was I was emailing, tough, gone and we need a lot of help, Like, I'm not going to be able to just come in and willing nearly. Patois. It's not it's not. It's not one of them things there. And I'm like, just because I've grown up with Jamaicans, just because you know, it don't mean anything really like the language. You could spend ten years trying to prep Bob and still have a way to go. And Bob's coming from he born in the country, grew up in Trenchtown, and then traveled. So there's the Patois. But then there's how Bob talked, and how Bob talked. No one talked like him. So yeah, it was a journey, but there wasn't a day on set where I wasn't surrounded by people who knew. So I felt good, like we were never going to move on unless it was right. So and that was the one thing I felt like I can fully take care of. I can't take care of like looking exactly like Bob. Bob's five seven, I'm six too, you know, there's so many physical differences between us. And he's a genius, he's a musical genius, so like, but his voice and how he spoke, and the authenticity of that as like the whole cultures in the way that Bob talks, Like the way that he speaks has to be reflected. There's no there can be no dumbing down of it, like there's no whitewashing it, you know, and then let's let's let's do it how Bob talks. And then afterwards, when he's in post production, you can figure out how much people understand and how much they don't.
Speaker 3: What made you audition for this?
Speaker 1: At first thought? At first I was.
Speaker 4: I thought there must have been a mistake of some sort, you know, just one of them auditions where I'm like I'm mixed, so I guess everyone mixed is auditioning for this, and it was silly, and so I must have passed on it just thinking it was like a general you know, hundreds of us doing it. And then it just started coming back that the Marley family were involved, which I didn't know. And then I heard that ray of dunking Richard and I saw an early cut of it, and I was like, after family are involved, and there's there's nothing to lose, you know, let me let me throw something out there and then at least we can have a conversation if they want, but nothing to lose, and I audition and Ziggy wanted to meet me, So really it was it was really spending time with the family and understanding that they wanted to do a kind of tribute to their dads.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: It was a kind of love letter to their dad, and they wanted to share with the fans aside to Bop that people don't necessarily know, which is that he was a human being, you know, which was that he was a guy who went for a lot and man struggled.
Speaker 6: And so I think they talk about his revolution and that revolution a lot, but you don't get to see what fueled him being a revolutionary.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, no, yeah, and that he and that at this time with the film set, like he was just going for a lot, you know, he had he had the weight of the world on his shoulders. And I think, yeah, it was really the family, like the family's involvement and an understanding that authenticity was really most important for them and for the studio and for me. So you know, I was just being in service to them.
Speaker 6: The kids didn't weren't upset about you playing the father, Like none of didn't wanted to play the role.
Speaker 1: No, no, I think Skip, I think Skip or this to play the younger Bob.
Speaker 4: And it didn't work out to find Bob. It's the thing about casting. You know, so many stories and people's feelings, you know, get.
Speaker 1: Hurt and stuff.
Speaker 4: But when you're when you're when you're on the inside, you're like, oh, it's not the conspiracy that everyone thinks, you know, or ziggy and that they want to play their dad and they're older. You got they needed to find someone to play Bob between thirty three and thirty six years old, and that's that's pretty you know, it can be tricky and so but no, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't know Ziggy Ziggy in the family. They approved it, and so I was.
Speaker 4: Like, all right, cool, if he's if he's like, that's what he was not wanting, and you know, I'm here to help.
Speaker 2: Did you ever want to quit because you said it was difficult with the hair, difficult with the patois.
Speaker 3: Did you ever say, you know what, maybe the same for me?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I did at what point.
Speaker 4: Very close to filming, But now I was like, if I pull out this, you know, it's not just me, it's all money that's gone into pre production, and it's like, if you.
Speaker 1: Want to work again, I wouldn't advise that I did.
Speaker 4: I did have a moment, you know, a couple of weeks, a couple of weeks before we started, I was just like, boys, there's a mountain to climb, you know, and all of the music and the stems were coming in and songs were changing, and I was like, yeah, just one day at a time.
Speaker 1: It's just one day at a time.
Speaker 4: And really, really what happened was we got to set and Neville Garrick's there. It was Bob's like close close friend who was with Bob the whole time, you know, the whole time Bob was creating Exodus and touring Exodus, never was with him, Never was in the room with Bob writing down the songs when Bob was composing them, and never was on stage all of them concerts, and never was with me every day on set.
Speaker 1: So I felt like.
Speaker 4: If Neville didn't like sign, he's going to tell me straight, and he did a lot of times.
Speaker 1: So I just always felt science not right. We've got the time to.
Speaker 4: Like stop and figure it out. And really it's only this is just a tribute to Bob to try and find a little bit of his spirit and his essence. I feel like everyone involved knows that you can't copy Bob and you can't be Bobby's kind of too big in a way. So it was just there was an understanding that this is just an interpretation of, you know, his vulnerability and his feeling and what some of what he might have been going through at that time, and you know, just to celebrate him a little bit.
Speaker 6: How much how much hated you need because you got a lot of hold.
Speaker 1: You underneath the fingers, got a lot of head.
Speaker 6: Kingsley Paul I got big, yeah, yeah, a lot of hair.
Speaker 5: I'm just like.
Speaker 1: I got a big head. Yeah yeah, this coming big head at school. Yeah but what so what do you mean.
Speaker 3: To say?
Speaker 1: Let me tell you something.
Speaker 6: I'm happy that this movie is coming out on Valentine's Day because it's not just a story about Bob. It's a love story Bob. And read it like that's what I liked about it. How did you feel about that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I didn't really know. I mean that sort of evolved as we were shooting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Lashana and I we were working seven months leading up to filming, and I guess that's the thing with films. You shoot three and a half four hours and then they cut it down to two. So all the things that's stay in and don't stay in and how they kind of tweak it and and kind of make it is you know, it's over to them after you, after you wrap, but it is.
Speaker 1: It's it's a it's a love.
Speaker 4: Story between them and but more that kind of unconditional love when you've known someone for that long and you've shared all that experience, and the love that is expressed when you're not talking, you know, and when there's no words.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it is that.
Speaker 6: And she was his motivation a lie, because I mean, one thing, I didn't even know. I can't be giving the movie away because it's a biopic. But when I didn't know she got shot at the house too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they shot in the head.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I did that until the movie.
Speaker 4: I dread the bullet got lodged in one of the dreads. Yeah, I might as that.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: They really went in and shut up that place. You know, they really nearly died. And that was what was really for me when I was reading the script, I was like, how mad is it that out of that trauma of that event, you know, within a few months, Bob's created one of the greatest albums of all time. And there's a connection between that. There's a connection between that that the significance of that trauma and then the intensity of creativity and then coming to London and a kind of exile, and then just going in and then all the surviving band members who I spoke to, who we've sadly lost, you know, since we started filming Neville and Tyrone, they all said I was like, what was it like working with Bob at that time? And it was like it was intense. It was intense, like he wasn't playing, you know, he wasn't messing around, and so yeah, that I found that interesting that like, right, I nearly died and then within you know, twelve weeks, fourteen weeks, they were up and running and touring. That's kind of that was Bob's five. You know, he worked, He was a workerman. He was up before the sun.
Speaker 2: We went to Bob only growing up as a kid, did you know all the music and know everything about him?
Speaker 3: Was a lot of this you learned as.
Speaker 4: Like I learned everything about Bob for the first time. I felt I felt like I knew him just because I've always known him.
Speaker 1: I don't even know when. I don't even know when I really first heard Bob, because Bob's.
Speaker 4: Just always been in the house and not in hill. Carnival was a big thing growing up, and I was getting Cannibal from when I was like three, three four years old. But once I started checking in, I was like, well, I really don't know anything about this guy other than that I knew he's half white, you know, like he's mixed and he's mixed. That was it, Like I didn't really understand that he's really from the ghetto, Like he really grew up in Trench Town, and yeah, there's a.
Speaker 1: Lot of sides to Bob.
Speaker 4: So I say, I found out everything for the first time through his friends and through his family. I spent a lot of time with people who grew up with Bob before he was famous, which was some of my most interesting conversations. You know, Lego, I've spent time with him on Orange Street and in his studio, just talking about the old time. But watching them remember Bob, watching them remember him with such funness and sadness and love. You know, it's really just trying to get the information I'm trying to get from them is like what was Bob Black when he was on his own? What was Bob Black when he was like feeling down? Like what was Bob Black when he was having a rough day? Like the idea of him as an icon and all of that, that's there the sound bites. Everyone wants to tell you. They want to tell you all the fun bits that you've seen and you've seen them in the documentary. Saying it, but trying to understand just like his like his humanity, Yeah, just so I can connect him as a human being and not like a hero.
Speaker 1: Like that's a given. You know, that's a given.
Speaker 5: Did you do all of the singing in the movies?
Speaker 1: I sung everything. I sung everything on set. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Which it was never the plan for me to sing in the film. We're always going to use Bob Stems because people want to listen to Bubb, they want to listen to me, right, And no one can sing that Bob.
Speaker 4: You can't sing that Bob because he's singing from such it's so rough, but it's so from here that it's actually it's actually his commitment to what he's saying that creates that energy as well as his tone and all of those things. So you can't really copy it as beautifully as all his sons can sing.
Speaker 1: No one can actually get his match.
Speaker 6: So, and he was an ordained messenger, Like I feel like he was divinely appointed to be a messenger.
Speaker 1: That's what his name meant, right, like nes to the messenger.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Bob felt like he was in service, you know, he felt like he was he was in service to his majesty.
Speaker 1: You know. So he's singing, he's singing for his life in a way.
Speaker 4: You know, it's it's about Yeah, it's about spreading the message and all.
Speaker 1: Of his songs, you know, when you clock all it. When I started translating the lyrics of all of his song, I was like, Row.
Speaker 4: God is really in all of this, all of his music jamming like all of them songs he's talking about God. You know, it's really fascinating. But yeah, I sung, I sung. I sung everything because like emotionally speaking in the face, if you're not singing, I don't think. I didn't feel like I could pretend. But also that Bob woke up every day and and wrote songs, I felt was like if I was playing a footballer and I never kicked the ball. So I just wanted to learn to just understand what the feeling with the instrument is and the feeling of just the feeling of it, you know.
Speaker 1: And then in the room we did some.
Speaker 4: Acoustic stuff and Ziggy was supposed to come and dub it, and he left my voice. So there's a bit of me singing in the film, which was never planned. But I had months of singing lesson, so I'm glad they came.
Speaker 5: To the level of expertise. Was your voice on before not great at least that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, not great at all? Not great at all. You've got to look after your instrument man. Those singers, they got to look after their voices. You know, it's like steaming and all of that stuff.
Speaker 6: What was your conversation with with Reader, Like, because she's the EP of the film.
Speaker 1: Right, Shana spent most time with Riar. I see.
Speaker 4: I see her the other day at the premiere in Jamaica, and I just went over to her and I kissed her hand and stuff, and then she just she rubbed her hand up in the back of my head and then slapped me on the back of the head.
Speaker 1: How big.
Speaker 4: I don't know what I meant, but I think she's coming in on my bald head, maybe my big head.
Speaker 1: Yeah now, but she's really It's cool.
Speaker 4: I didn't I didn't spend too I was mainly with Ziggy and Shanna spent a lot of time with Sidela and Rita, and I spent time with Ryan and Steven and a lot of Bob's friends and people who worked with him. But yeah, obviously our first thing is don't looking that and.
Speaker 1: That, Bob.
Speaker 6: I think you did a great job as Bob personally, but I feel like there's something the movie didn't capture and I think it was the urgency of the moment, meaning the concert, because there was so much leading up to it, like the people didn't want him to do it. He got shot, Reader got shot, Dan got shot. It was kind of like it was kind of antichomactic in the movie.
Speaker 1: Happened in the first concept First concept.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean all I can say is like what we're saying before we shoot. I shot four hours and twenty minutes, four and a half hours of movie.
Speaker 1: You know, I created maybe like.
Speaker 4: Seven eight nine different concept things. There's five or six songs that are not in the film. There are deleted scenes, there's all of that game on. So like when it comes down to the cut, I'm not in the edit, you know, Like I can't. My job is to come in as an actor, and I understand what Bob's psychology is from a human standpoint, so I can play Bob in any film. In fact, I told them when I first started this, I read it once and I was like, I don't need to read this, and it just needs six months with me and Bob, you know, So I need to get ready so I can play Bob in any film in any scene. You send me any scene and I'll tell you how to interpret Bob within within that scene.
Speaker 1: And really, as an.
Speaker 4: Actor, you've got to give up that need to control everything because you can't.
Speaker 1: There's just too many departments.
Speaker 4: It's like there's costume, there's hair, there's light, and there's props. And then you start becoming an expert in the world that you're supposed You start noticing things around you, and there's a moment where you go like, and I'm bad for it, you know, I want to do everyone's job for them, and like a sign I have to figure out, and I just go, I'm just an actor. My job's to come in and play the damn scene and that's it and try and elevate in the best way that I can.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, I hear you. I hear you. But you know, I'm not an editor.
Speaker 6: NFL like, you know, even though it shows the rise of Bob Marley in a lot of ways, Bob Marley was on the run, like he had to get maker. He you know, he couldn't deal with the trauma that that was there anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know what I mean, one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: And for me, the movie was for me, it was about trauma and safety. You know, when I'm as an actor, you're reading sat In trying to go where's the what's the subtext here? Like if they're and and and zigging the family again? To me, we want to make that and deep. So I'm going with, if you want to make that and deep, then I need to understand Bob's trauma, because that's all that. That's all it means. Deep means just like connecting to the root and so understanding Bob's experience as a child and the manifestation of that in behavior, So like like, what does it mean to do that?
Speaker 1: What does it mean when you don't trust people when you're grown up? Do you know what I'm saying? When you've grown up in the streets? So that that's I'm trying to clock Bob in those terms, and then trying to see how it connects into the music. He doesn't sing with his eyes open ever, really is always closed. What does that mean? They're the things I'm thinking, like, you can stand on stage, he sings from here and so there's something about all of that. But safety really, to me, I was like, what does it mean to not feel safe? You know?
Speaker 4: What does it mean to hap? What does it mean to nearly die and what does it mean then that? And that needs to come through every scene that I mean in the film Bob's relationship to safety, we all want to feel safe as well, Like on a human level, I feel like we're all on some sort of journey towards wanting to feel connected, love together, seen, appreciated. And I was like, Bob must have felt those things too, so peace, love and unity spreading it to the world. But like, where was Bob back with those things in himself? Where was Bob back with his inner peace? Where was Bob back with.
Speaker 1: His with his sense of unity within himself?
Speaker 4: How safe did he feel? Because out of trauma can come mad creativity, and we're will pick up on the magnetism of it, you know, we'll all pick up on the energy of that vibration because that trauma mixed with all of that talent, Bosh, it's gonna come with some energy. And that's what we see in love, you know. So I don't know what I'm talking about now.
Speaker 7: But I imagine that it's it's probably almost impossible to capture all of that in one movie.
Speaker 5: Anyway.
Speaker 7: It's like you're sure the things that you're talking about you know, leading up to him being what made him a revolutionist? You know what I'm saying, It's probably like that would be part two and part three.
Speaker 1: There's twenty films you can make about Bob.
Speaker 4: You could do Concrete Jungle. I want to go straight to the end. You know, you could do the whole Africa story.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I wanted to hear more about it because.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I feel like a lot of people, everyone's going to come in with their own expectation of what they want to see, because everyone has their own idea of who Bob Miley is to them.
Speaker 1: And trust me, I'm that guy. Like I'm the worst critic.
Speaker 4: When it comes to these things. I'll be the first person to say, like, why is this English guy playing Bob? That's me when I'm at home. So I get it. I fully, fully get it. But this is a project made by the family. Everything went through them, and this is their tribute to their father, and this is what they want the world to know about their dad. I show everything, and I had every difficult conversation I needed to have with them about everything, to the point where I wasn't always popular popular among two the family everyone because I'm coming in I want to. I'm trying to get into Bob's I have the responsibility of playing him and wanting to truthfully get into his headspace. So I have to ask all the questions, you know, And it's when I'm working, it's like there's never a moment like we got it and now we can all just have a good time.
Speaker 1: On set. It's a constant investigation to the last day. If something doesn't feel right on set, stop, we stop. And if no one knows the answer, let's listen to Bob. So the one thing I could take full control of is how Bob talks. And no one listened to him more than me.
Speaker 4: I listened to Bob every day for nine months, and Sodella sent me files that only the family have got where Bob's having conversation with people that no one's heard before. So I know how I know what Bob's spiritual emotional point of view is because I'm hearing him say it. So if I see a scene and I'm like Bob would, Bob needs to be saying this now as it relates to God, as it relates to spirituality.
Speaker 1: So for me, sometimes, you know, my job is just the character. You know, it's the character.
Speaker 5: Which was executed very well.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 7: I appreciate these past couple of years, you played like different characters though you played Barack Obama.
Speaker 5: You you played.
Speaker 7: Malcolm X in One Night in Miami, basketball in a Barbie movie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and Bob Marley. How mentally is that? Like, how how is that mentally to switch?
Speaker 4: Like I don't find I don't find the switch, and I feel that No. Yeah, for me, it's just more it's a it's a preparation thing and then five minutes before action, I just need to concentrate and make sure I've done my homework.
Speaker 1: I don't know what I'm doing, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I don't feel it's Yeah, you want to be able to I think as well, just coming up as a as a working actor, you have to be ready when you need to be ready. So there's not that luxury of like, I'm doing this role and now I've got six months to prepare on my own. It's like someone's dropped out. You've got two weeks to prep one night at Miami. So you just have to get ready, you know. It's like you finished Secret Invasion on the twelfth of March you're starting Barbie on Monday, so you just.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Yeah, yeah, I enjoyed that. I enjoyed.
Speaker 4: I enjoyed playing that role because the reason why I took it wasn't because the writing was great at all.
Speaker 1: It has nothing to do with the writing.
Speaker 4: They just sent me two little teaser scenes, one with Samuel at the end and one with Ben Mendelssohn, and I was like, Oh, this guy really wants everyone to burn.
Speaker 1: You know, there's no I feel like he's gone in his mind.
Speaker 4: He's gone like power hungry, power hungry, but also just like he's only going to feel I don't think he feels anything other than when he sees other people experiencing the pain that he feels subconsciously or not. So like, he only feels alive when I see you in as much pain as I feel in myself. And I was like, I don't I've never been offered that kind of role, so I just have to take it, regardless of what show it is or you know, what it's in. But it's fun. It's fun to play that because he's just got a bag of seat, it's bag of dark secrets.
Speaker 6: What about the backlash that comes with being a British actor, getting to play American icons like President Obama, like Malcolm Xican, even playing you know, in a Jamaican icon like Bob Marley. People do not like that, like you're stealing.
Speaker 1: All the roles. I hear it, I hear it again. I feel like.
Speaker 4: When you each casting situation is different. So when it comes to opportunity, the first question is has everyone had an opportunity to audition? Has everyone who should had an opportunity to put their foot in the door where they get to put their best self forward? And then what only like and where it just depends on the casting is that each situation is different. So some people can't get their first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth choice all busy not available. Seventh choice would be amazing. He's not finishing the job till February. When these films go, when they get that green light, there's a moment where they're trying to make it. Now they're not waiting for anyone, so it's really becomes about availability. I will always make I told I said, when they came to me with Bob, I was like, you have you been on a world wide search?
Speaker 1: Yes? We have, go on another one really make sure you know when it came out.
Speaker 3: Would you say that, like, make sure it's not me?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, because you want to make sure, you want to make sure, Yeah, exactly. You want to make sure I'm the best person I'm not because I've been in that situation before. I couldn't get an audition for any of those London things like Kid Oldhood or Top Boy or any of that. The casting directs at home they would never see me.
Speaker 4: For that role because they see me like the Bridgeton guy, whereas I'm like, no, no, oh no.
Speaker 1: That's how I grew up.
Speaker 4: I just went to a drama school that knocked my accent out of me for eight years, and I've just had to try and find it back some bullshit English institution that told us that we couldn't talk the way that we were supposed to talk. So it really really depends on the car I think. To talk about this as a whole becomes really difficult. I can only talk for the specific examples of the castings that I've been in, and I tell you straight. Andre Holland dropped out of one night in Miami and Regina had two weeks to cast it, and then there was three of us, and then the guy who I was up against. He didn't have the experience to hold the film in the way that I did because of his age. He would have been a twenty seven year old Malcolm and it didn't make sense. They did not want to put me in that role. It was just because the film is about to go. They need to get it going, you know. And really, I can talk for Bob and I can talk for that and that's it, you know. Like so I just got to make sure that when I'm going in for some my thing is who have you seen?
Speaker 1: Why are you coming to me? You know?
Speaker 4: And I think the family came to me because our first conversation was about the emotional vulnerability of Bob.
Speaker 1: That's it. That's it.
Speaker 4: No mimicry, no impersonation, no trying to like be him or copy him.
Speaker 1: This is a this is a this is a love letter to your father.
Speaker 4: So I'm going to try and tap into his feeling a little bit, and that's it, just a little bit of his essence, and I'm done.
Speaker 6: It's okay to say you good, It's okay to say I'm better than everybody else, It's okay to say I get these roles because I'm a.
Speaker 1: Great I don't think that's true. I don't think that's true. Like, I don't think that's true. I just don't. I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't, well, at least, I don't see it like that, because you're only as good as the work you put in on the day. You're you're two seconds away from being really really bad if you switch off. And that's the way that I I go with everything. It's starting again.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: It's not like I went into Barb with the same energy I went into Bob. Because it's about the work and it's about the craft.
Speaker 1: That's just me. Maybe I need to chill out a little bit.
Speaker 7: But a critic of yourself, like you could seem to be even like, you know, hard on yourself about things.
Speaker 5: You ever give yourself bad reviews?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, I'm learning.
Speaker 4: I'm learning to be much kinder because it's you know, you can just get tiring for yourself. But yeah, I know, I feel like, yeah, I feel like it's the work and it's the experience. You know, for me, it's about the experience of the shoot. You know, who who's going to the experience of making Bob was two years getting to know.
Speaker 1: Him with his friends and family before filming.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and even up until now, just spending time with the people who loved him or love him and knew him.
Speaker 3: But you did the work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so like what a joy.
Speaker 4: You know, Like, regardless of the film and whatever happens with it, for me, that's two years of my life. That's my life with them, you know, and I'll cherish that to you. So for me as well with work, it's as much about the experience as well. It's like when I see that Secret Invasion thing, I was like, yeah, this is ten days with Samuel Jackson on set taking the job just for that. I just want to be around him for ten days, you know, And it was ended up being three four months, and then I get to learn from him.
Speaker 1: You know, what did he teach you?
Speaker 6: What was the lesson that he told you?
Speaker 1: Pro pro and like.
Speaker 6: Great cursor too, fantastic.
Speaker 4: Love person and funny and funny. But when he's on the floor, you know, when we started doing some of those scenes, when he gets excited and wants to turn it on, it becomes really exciting because you're like, Sam can do it.
Speaker 1: You know, he's one of the greats and I don't know, I don't know how to summarize a word what I got from him, but it was definitely like, you know, I really really enjoyed being around him and Ben Mendelssohn as well. Those two were the reasons why I took the job.
Speaker 4: I was like, I'm definitely gonna be able to learn Sam from these guys, you know, and Sam. Sam's very kind, like very very kind. He's got so much time for like young people around. He has a heightened awareness of like I mean, he's been famous for how long man he can't go anywhere, but he still makes the time for everyone. And he said, Sam likes to do one take or two takes, you know, one and done. Sometimes I need eight or nine and he's there. He's that you take as much time as you need. I'm right here and it'll be on his feet every time. And I love that because a lot of actors will go back to the trailer, they go home, and they'll get their standing to come in and act with you. Sam did not leave me once. Yeah, so I really appreciated that. And uh, just funny, funny.
Speaker 6: Did did Ziggy really remember a lot of stuff because he was young then? Like seeing. I'm thinking about in particular, was the shooting that happened, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the drive by.
Speaker 6: He remembered that.
Speaker 4: They've got they've got Yeah, Ziggy's got memories, Yeah, Tigg He's got memories. And that bit of the air put at the end somehow when his dad come back, Ziggy made it to the airport and no one knew how he got there. At like nine years old, he heard his dad was coming and he found himself like running in the crowd, running in the crowd, and no one knows how he got there. He can't remember how he got there, but he was there. So I was about getting that moment in.
Speaker 6: But they really happy, like Bob, Bob saw him in the Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I believe so.
Speaker 4: But the the That's why a lot of my conversations with Neville, with Tyrone and with Lego, like the guys who are Bob's age, who remembering him like I would remember my power, you know, they were really the stories about Bob's personality and is feeling around the time. You know, all my information came through them as it related to that. You read all the books and then he's like, isn't that and you can find in these books really apart from timelines, you know, but Lego and Lenny, Lenny Dread. There's a guy called Lenny Dread who came over from Saint Kitts when he was like sixteen seventeen, and he.
Speaker 1: Camped outside Bob's mom's house.
Speaker 4: In Miami because he had a vision that he wanted to work for Bob one day. So he just went and stayed outside the house for weeks and Bob was on tour, and then Bob came back one day and he told Bob that he had a dream that he wanted to work for him.
Speaker 1: Man still works in the house today. Wow. And I spent three hours with.
Speaker 4: Him in Bob's my mass and he took me into you know, Bob's room at the time, so where they would have had all family birthdays and everything like that. And I had a four hour conversation with him where he was telling me like what Bob was like and his energy and everyone in and then those were the things that I think I absorbed in some way, you know, from those guys. Yeah, Lenny Dread and Dessi and Lego was great.
Speaker 6: What about when Bob was dealing with you know, the cancer that ultimately took his life. In the movie, it's played in like a really nonchalant way.
Speaker 5: You know, he was telling them, yeah, y'all.
Speaker 6: Talking about is the icon? Some people don't you don't know the door And if I don't know, it's Bob Marley, come on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think that.
Speaker 4: I don't give too much away because everybody, no, no.
Speaker 1: You're good.
Speaker 6: But but the nonchalantness of it all, it also reminded me of just being a man and how a lot of men don't want to go to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it wasn't written like that, okay, And that's what I'm saying about acting process. For me, I was like when you're from the ghetto like that, and I've grown up with guys and I have a bit of it in myself. Whereas to me it was like, well, what happened was that he didn't check it for a number.
Speaker 1: Of years and the line really is them can kill me. So if you understand the language of.
Speaker 4: That scene, like we we readjusted it to to make sense for Bob's mentality at that moment, you you know, I think that the next diagnosis in New York three years later was slightly different, and they wanted to impose the script that I originally read, sort of imposed nineteen eighty one on nineteen seventy seven. I was like, where was Bob actually out in seventy seven, which is that he was on job, you know, he was working.
Speaker 1: He had time for that, you know. And listen.
Speaker 4: I shot that film with Ziggy, and it was a mad day because suddenly I'm in this doctor's office and I was like, raw, this actually happened, you know, and his son's looking at me, you know. And I had to take a couple of moments because there were versions of the scene where I did crack and I would call Ziggy over and I'd say, Ziggy, I don't know if these are my tears or your dad's tears. But if they're not, I don't know. You know, if I'm crying for him, I'm crying.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't want to. You can't just put Bob Marley in a film and have him cry down the film. You know. It's not that Bob's not that he's not an American dad.
Speaker 4: You have very very specific political, spiritual, religious beliefs, and it's the only thing he talks about. From nineteen sixty nine to the first interview. I heard all the way through, Bob saying the same thing.
Speaker 1: Alice alassiea dad.
Speaker 4: So Bob's tears, I'd ask people, there's not many reports, so it's not about an oscar moment. It's like the truth is it's not. So I said to Ziggy, you make this call when you get to the edit. But I'm going to give you a few different versions of this, you know. And I love what they did up in the room when he's just there and you can't even see his face, but you just hear it and then he cracks on Bosh back to the work. So that to me felt true to Bob. That felt true to that, It felt true to the guy, the guy I know from the gheto.
Speaker 7: You know, emotions aren't really coming from the audience pretty much. The tears really come from.
Speaker 1: As I was crying for him on the day because his son's looking at me, and I'm like, yeah, that must have been what must have been like for him, Like the loneliness of that moment and going raw, like everything is coming in And that's why you just see me looking up like that, because when I don't want to cry, you know, it's that mm hmm. I want you to see me crying.
Speaker 5: You know, Send me the movie.
Speaker 6: Send me the movie.
Speaker 2: When the movie comes out this Wednesday, it looks like a globe my head, my head, bringing back to my childhood.
Speaker 1: I was like, I used to get my head, used to get terrorized, and I used to get men. Another guy get him being head and I had a meathead. And then some kids of me.
Speaker 3: Kids to me, probably the meaning you imagine, want to.
Speaker 1: My boys and they come out they're just Terrorizing's just terror.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Jesus Christ, it ain't little amen to it.
Speaker 1: Head.
Speaker 6: But no, the movie is really good man. I think you did a great, great job as Bob. I don't have anything to reference it to, you know what I mean, because I didn't grow up in.
Speaker 1: The air Obama. Yeah no, I feel.
Speaker 3: Like you cap.
Speaker 6: There's an essence you captured for sure.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I appreciate, appreciate, and everybody go out and check it out. It comes out this Valentine's Day of perfect Valentine's Day thing.
Speaker 6: It's a love story. Man, between reading Bob, it really it really is.
Speaker 3: And Kings, we appreciate you for joining us.
Speaker 1: I'm so nice to be I'm finding this show.
Speaker 4: I've been watchings on YouTube all the time, so I'm happy to be thank you.
Speaker 6: How hands on with Brad Pitt this No Plan B with production company.
Speaker 4: D and D D and Jeremy around Brad busy filming. He's the to see her.
Speaker 1: I don't say that, no, no, no, the overseer of his company.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't still don't like that.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, no, no no no.
Speaker 4: I didn't mean that Brad's company is with DDY and Jeremy.
Speaker 1: But Dy and Jeremy were with us.
Speaker 4: Brad oversees them, you know what I'm saying. But like he's one of many executive producers on this the overseer of this project is tough Gon and the family, you know what I mean, Brad and de Dy and Jeremy to come with a hell of a lot of experience, you know as it relates to these movies and the pre production and the making of it and the coming out of it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, there's.
Speaker 6: Yeah, stories, I really do does more stories about that era?
Speaker 1: Really? Yeah, Yeah, there's a lot, there's a lot there, you know, We'll see.
Speaker 2: Let's look to the family and we appreciate you for joining us. Thank you guys, it's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: Good morning, nice.
Speaker 1: Wake in the morning. The Breakfast Club