Speaker 1: Pushkin. Hi, everyone, it's Paul Moldoin. Before we get to this episode, I wanted to let you know that you can binge all twelve episodes of McCartney A Life and Lyrics right now, add free by becoming a Pushkin Plus subscriber. Find Pushkin Plus on the McCartney A Life and Lyrics Show, pedge in Apple Podcasts, or at pushkin dot Fm, slash Plus.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 3: I'm going to be driving up to Liverpool in my brand new Aston Martin, going too fast.
Speaker 2: But with the radio, and there was this play that caught my ear. Is a shit a pump out of orders?
Speaker 4: You all have you deep brained.
Speaker 2: Ubou cuckoo I was. I really liked it.
Speaker 4: It's not functioning at all, it's broken.
Speaker 2: Down because it was so rebellious.
Speaker 4: What a dirty business like your deep braining machine.
Speaker 2: I just loved this character, Ubu.
Speaker 4: I'm not afraid of that.
Speaker 2: There's nothing like a sewage barrel. I liked hund me my shitter pump mayor Ubu and.
Speaker 3: I thought that is good shitter pump and just the image that conjured up. It is always a little dirty things appeal to me when when people are rude and I say, I went up the whole of the journey listening to this.
Speaker 2: Barrel pumpkin refuse of humanity.
Speaker 1: I'm Paul muldun for a while now, I've been fortunate to spend time with one of the greatest songwriters of our era.
Speaker 2: And will you look at me, I'm going on to I'm actually a performer.
Speaker 1: That is Sir Paul McCartney. We worked together on a book looking at the lyrics of more than one hundred and fifty of his songs, and we recorded many hours of our conversations.
Speaker 3: It was like going back to an old snapshot album looking back on work I hadn't ever analyzed.
Speaker 1: This is McCartney, a life in lyrics, a masterclass, a memoir, and an improvised journey with one of the most iconic figures in popular music. In this episode, Maxwell's Silver.
Speaker 2: Hammer Todd B be E minor A seven D B A.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a story song, you know, It's one of my story songs. And I think I'm kind of unique in the Beatles for doing them, because if you look at Georgie, songs.
Speaker 2: Are always very auto biographical.
Speaker 3: It's very something he thinks, My sweet lord, you know, here comes the Sun and Mine.
Speaker 2: Mine's influenced.
Speaker 3: I think by that period of intense literature. This is why I do story songs. Where someone is making a writer is putting himself in the position of a person. It's the imagination that I like. So with things like Lax and Solama, I like the idea of making up people, dramatic persona John.
Speaker 5: Was quizzical, sturdy, bad physical sign late Night Song along with a testune.
Speaker 1: The lyric studied Pataphysical Science in the Home is a rather obscure reference to the work of the French playwright Alfred Jari, whose play Ubu Koku McCartney heard on his car radio. Jarry is often considered a forefather of Dadaism and surrealism, and he once described his made up discipline of pataphysics as the science of imaginary solutions.
Speaker 3: I got round to Jarry and pataphysics, and I had friends with a guy, Barry Miles, and he was very bookish. He look bookish. He started the Indica Bookstore with a couple of others. I used to just go around to his house.
Speaker 2: And we would just have dinner and we would just talk.
Speaker 3: So with Jarry we were talking about what part of physics was, and he was more knowledgeable than I have said when it wasn't It was a made up science, and he had the chair of pataphysics, and the have a partaphysical society.
Speaker 4: Remember that you are addressing a celebrated pataposition. Excuse me, sir, you said pataphosition. Pataphysics is a branch of science which we have invented and for which a crying.
Speaker 2: Need is generally experienced.
Speaker 4: Oh but you see, if you're a famous inventor, we'll understand each other.
Speaker 2: For between great men, a.
Speaker 4: Letter my modesty, sir. Besides, I see no great man here except myself. But since you insist, I have condescended to do you a most significant honor. Let it be known to you, sir, that your establishment suits us, and that we have decided to make ourselves at home here.
Speaker 3: I was just fascinated by the surrealism of it and the madness of it all, you know, so so that I was very happy to get the rhyme quizical and pataphysical.
Speaker 2: And then Joan. So we just started with a Joan. Okay, we've got a character.
Speaker 5: Joan was quizical study, pata physical science.
Speaker 2: Quite the way of study part of physical Science in the Home. Yes, in Science in the Home is almost like a title. So I like this.
Speaker 3: And then when it's like all alone with a test you there's something a bit sort of surreal but suggestive.
Speaker 5: Late Night's all along with a testube, well, the test tube.
Speaker 6: Of course, at that point the notion of the test tube, babe was probably you know very much at that point, wasn't it it wash?
Speaker 3: And also, if I'm going to talk about science, for me, my experience of science was pippetts and test tubes and once.
Speaker 2: All those wonderful things.
Speaker 5: Maxwell Edison Majorine in medicine, Can I take you out of the pictures?
Speaker 2: Joe?
Speaker 1: The name of the song's anti hero might have come from James Clark Maxwell, the Scottish scientist who developed the classical theory of electromagnetism, and Maxwell's surname Edison must have come from the inventor, Thomas Edison.
Speaker 2: I just loved the rhyme, as I loved Quizical by the Physical.
Speaker 5: Maxwell Edison Majorine ed Isser, Can I take you out to the pictures, Jum.
Speaker 1: When the Beatles were recording Maxwell's Silver Hammer and the Rest of Abbey Road, they were experimenting with their own science, that of music production.
Speaker 3: This coincided with the visit to Abbey Road of Robert Moog. Oh, Yes, here's adventure sizer. I no one had seen synthesizens. This is the very first. Was that the first time, and they took up a whole room.
Speaker 2: There was a huge thing and it filled the whole wall of the room.
Speaker 1: Here's the journalist Derry Cooper introducing the new instrument on television.
Speaker 2: It's the milk synthesizer. It produces sounds.
Speaker 3: In a matter of minutes, which would normally take radiophonic experts with their complicated equipment, days of work.
Speaker 2: And multiple re recording to achieve.
Speaker 3: George Martin was always very keen on these technological innovations. We probably find he knew Robert anyway, come over abro show us this logue thing, and I was fascinated, and he shows how to get these sounds from the walk.
Speaker 2: But it took a little longer than our normal songs.
Speaker 3: Took not crazy compared by today's standards, sure, but by those relatively long time by the standards of the day.
Speaker 5: She's scary ready.
Speaker 3: On the door.
Speaker 1: As we get to the chorus of the song, it shifts from a wholesome romance between the pataphysicist Joan and her medical suitor to a much more violent story that's well sailed.
Speaker 2: Game down, and.
Speaker 3: So now you know this is like noir cinema noir. I like the idea that we were all cozy and she's just a scientist and it's a little bit fun. And he's a doctor studying medicine student, medical student.
Speaker 2: But now he's going to kill ag. That's well that she was dead.
Speaker 6: It's serial murderer in some ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he is a serial murderer. And now we've whoa.
Speaker 3: We now got into a much darker world.
Speaker 5: School again, Max replays the pool again. The teacher gets annoyed.
Speaker 7: Wishing to avoid an unpleasant scene, she tells Max to say, when the glass is gone away, So dem wits behind writing fifty times, I must not be so.
Speaker 3: Writing fifty times, I must not be so fifty lines was a standard punishment in detention, right, I must not talking class, And I was always doing that. I was often in detention.
Speaker 6: I must not be so or whatever. It was so naughty, So parthon.
Speaker 2: I must not be so. I don't need to say the naughty, but.
Speaker 7: When she turns it back on, the boydreams up from behind.
Speaker 5: Maxwell's sail came down.
Speaker 1: To accentuate the shock of the deadly silver hammer. The chorus incorporated clangs of a hammer heading an anvil, though it's contested Ringo Starr likely did all the percussion for the recording, including that anvil. However, it was Mel Evans, the band's tour manager, who banged the hammer in rehearsals.
Speaker 7: Bang Bang Maxwell's silver saw that she was dead taking away Johnny.
Speaker 6: I mean is in Bang Bang Maxwell's silver hammer. It's not without its humor, and it conjures up. It conjures up for me a fair ground.
Speaker 2: Do you remember that thing? Is that part of what his strength? Yes, I don't know.
Speaker 3: To me, the silver hammer is like a medical thing. Okay, it's a bit ominous.
Speaker 6: I see, like the kind of thing used to knock your me to see what you're reflexing silver.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking like sort of chrome in my head, you know, silver hammer is a medical student.
Speaker 2: Medical students got just sort of crow hammer that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, But I mean it is a violent image of something coming to it.
Speaker 3: It is extremely violent. But that's that's the thing. Isn't it like surrealism. That's what happens. You get a very ordinary scene and then bang, it's a dramatic device as well. You know so, and I just I don't know why I wanted to do a sort of dark comedy. It's like a sort a dark comedy because it is a comedy.
Speaker 5: See thirty one said we go to dirty one. Maxwell stands painting testimonial pictures.
Speaker 3: You know PC thirty one. There was a PREC forty nine when I was a kid. Oh yeah, it was a character. Yeah, what was that in?
Speaker 2: I think it was possibly on the radio. I remember that PC.
Speaker 3: And leave instructions at the deck that I want to see PC forty nine as soon as he comes on tomorrow, I will.
Speaker 2: Say, excuse me, sarge.
Speaker 4: This sage and sent me out with this message for the DDI What did it come from?
Speaker 1: The Adventures of PC forty nine was a popular post war radio series produced by the BBC. The show followed the everyday slouthing of Police Constable Archibald Berkley Willoughby as he investigated cheating gamblers and other crimes on the cold streets of London.
Speaker 4: Say what have the police raid this place? I went still, We've got even that organized a system of warning bells and two tough boys on the door to they lie up.
Speaker 1: This old time noir radio show might have inspired the character gallery and setting of McCartney song.
Speaker 5: Throes and Valerie screaming from the gallery, say him, muscufa. The church does not agree, and he tells themselves.
Speaker 3: Rose and Valerie screaming from the gallery, you mus go free. So, I mean, he's got his supporters and it's like, oh, don't support him too much, girls, because.
Speaker 2: He'll kill you, you know. So it's a little bit on us, a little bits of the dark.
Speaker 5: Leaving his lips. The noise comes from behind.
Speaker 3: I like the idea of playing with them. I like the idea of giving him a story.
Speaker 6: Are saying what they come up with a suppose.
Speaker 3: You know, and then you know, putting Valerie in the gallery.
Speaker 6: It's such a joyous song.
Speaker 1: I mean, it has this dark undertoe, but it has.
Speaker 3: You know, it's tongue in cheek. You know that it's not a real story. This is not dateline. You know, this is made up. And I think that's the sort of joy of it. It's like a children's nursery rhyme, you know, chop, chop off your head. It's a big tradition of that stuff. You know, nursery rhymes are always chopping off people's heads or humpty dumpt it's always chopping and cracking. So there is this thing, boy, we can like because we can places in a safe place, and we can enjoy the macabre aspect because we know it's not really it's not a news story.
Speaker 1: There's certainly a mix of playfulness and darkness at the core of Maxwell's Silver Hammer. Despite the lightheartedness of the melody, the band's recording sessions for the song weren't quite so light. The other three Beatles publicly said they didn't like the track. Ringo Starr even said it was the worst song they ever recorded. Really, their frustration was less about the song itself and more about McCartney's admitted perfectionism in this video.
Speaker 2: And I was very keen on it. It took a little bit long to record.
Speaker 3: I remember the guys getting pissed with me occasionally, I in particular, would take too long because I was trying to get what was in my head.
Speaker 6: I was just going to ask you about how at this stage, how did at work.
Speaker 3: Recording sessions were always good because no matter what our personal troubles were, no matter what was sort of going down a minute, we sat down to make a song, we were good, well known boys. Our sort of skills came out, and so I think we all enjoyed being in this little skillful company where Ringo would do that, and George would play that, and John would do that which was slightly more eccentric, and I would do.
Speaker 2: On base or piano or whatever. So there was a great joy there.
Speaker 1: See Maxwell's silver Hammer from the Beatles nineteen sixty nine album Abbey Road.
Speaker 5: In the next episode, keenoocna see me well.
Speaker 2: Now it loox is though that he.
Speaker 1: Yesterday one of the most covered songs in music.
Speaker 7: History, yesterday.
Speaker 1: Suddenly that's next time on McCartney A Life in Lyrics. McCartney A Life in Lyrics is a co production between iHeartMedia, NPL and Pushkin Industries.