Speaker 1: Hello puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler podcast The Chopped Nuts in Your Puzzle Back Lava, I am your host, AJ Jacobs. Happy Valentine's Day, everybody. We have a special Valentine's Day puzzle teed up. I don't know what it is because Chief puzzle Officer Greg Pliska has told me I am not allowed to know even the premise. So here, I am ready to be embarrassed.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks for letting me out of the puzzle lab. I'm actually getting out twice today. I get out to do this puzzle and then I'm being allowed to go out with my wife.
Speaker 1: For Valentine's That's very generous.
Speaker 3: I know, be back in there for the rest of the week. I promise.
Speaker 2: Do you do you have a go to Valentine's Day treat?
Speaker 1: Well, my wife and I both are not fans of Valentine's Day because I think I was single for so many years. I just thought it was a really rude holiday. It's like right, you know, like smug, We're like, you know, uh. And I also I did write an Escort Esquire article once about how I think that sometimes love should be seen as costs and benefit. It's okay to do a cost benefit analysis of love, even though that's highly discouraged. So sometimes I'll write a note to my wife, you know, the benefits of being married to you outweigh the costs. Happy Valentine's Day.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna try that one where.
Speaker 1: She seems to like it. I'm not sure she does.
Speaker 2: But so it's not like you guys are getting chocolates or flowers. You basically just no sending cost benefit graphs.
Speaker 1: And exactly in honor of our long singlehood.
Speaker 2: Well that's interesting. My wife, my wife Jessica has no love for roses. She's not into the flowers things. But you could aim a sweet confection and she's all over it, every you name it. In fact, one of the jokes when we first got together, I bought some ice cream and I stuck it in the fridge in the freezer, and the next day it was gone and I said, wait, what happened to the ice cream? She said, Oh, that's not going to last in this house. I said, in my house that would last.
Speaker 3: For a month.
Speaker 2: Now, corn chips, you're at the Freedo's, the Doritos, they'd be gone like that, But the ice cream would last in my house.
Speaker 1: So you're you're more of a salt guy on the savory guy. Okay, that's good. It's like a Jack Spratt situation exactly.
Speaker 3: It works out perfectly.
Speaker 2: So that's the cost benefit analysis works in our favor right there.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So, so what this puzzle.
Speaker 2: Is is about one of the most well known Valentine's Day confections. But I'm not going to tell you what it is. It's in the in the title of the puzzle. The title of the puzzle is soup container actress ruby male deer.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm getting something. I love. The super containers can actress is d and then I forgot the last one.
Speaker 3: What was last male deer?
Speaker 1: Oh dough candy dough.
Speaker 3: That's a feeling.
Speaker 1: Candy.
Speaker 3: Wait, stags another word for male deer.
Speaker 1: Candy starts with a harsh Oh. Hearts candy heart heart, very good, very good.
Speaker 3: That's a classic candy.
Speaker 2: Goes back originally to the early part of last century, nineteen oh one, when they first made the little hearts shaped like that with the words stamped on them.
Speaker 1: And by the way, a couple of years ago, I didn't make anatomically correct candy hearts for the family like in the shape of an actual heart with valves and stuff.
Speaker 3: That's cool.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know if it was cool. Oh weird, it was weird. I was encouraged not to do it again.
Speaker 3: God, there no candy kidney. Is there anything weird in your house? Well?
Speaker 2: The way this works is I'm going to give you a wordplay clue, like a charade or something like that, and you give me the phrase from candy hearts that is being clued there.
Speaker 3: There are hundreds of.
Speaker 2: Phrases over the years that have been on those little candy hearts, but I'm trying to stick with the classics, the most familiar.
Speaker 1: All Right, I love it. This is a great puzzle. I'm excited.
Speaker 2: All right, here's your first one. This is more of a punny clue. Where to dig up honey?
Speaker 1: Okay? Where to dig up honey? That is interesting? Well honey, I often think of I'm just gonna throw out honey related words and see what happens. Pot comb hive.
Speaker 3: Who makes honeys?
Speaker 2: Be?
Speaker 3: Okay? Be? Where do you dig things up?
Speaker 1: Be whole? It's not romantic at all.
Speaker 2: That's a kind of zen candy.
Speaker 1: Heart okay, be? Where you dig things up?
Speaker 2: Be?
Speaker 1: Field, be be mine, be mine, be my good one. I had to go the other way. I had to think, what is a candy heart saying? Okay, I love it.
Speaker 3: No, that's well done, well done. But here's another one. Here's an one. The opposite of colds easy.
Speaker 2: The opposite of colds easy.
Speaker 1: Well cold, I mean easy. Opposite is hard maybe or difficult easy.
Speaker 2: What's the opposite of colds hots?
Speaker 1: Hots hots? I've got the hots for you hots.
Speaker 2: No hots something hot easy? That was a That was a It was a challenging quiz.
Speaker 1: Tough hotsy. Oh, I got it. Nice hot. I was going to literally I forgot you could combine yes, okay, hot stuff nice nice nice.
Speaker 2: Here's another one, maybe a little less romantic phrase. But the candy hearts have covered a lot of territory, so you know we'll allow it. Food in a barn and a female sheep.
Speaker 1: Ah, Okay, I got that one. I feel good. It is Hey is the food in the barn, and you as the female sheep?
Speaker 2: Hey you hey, you there you go exactly.
Speaker 1: I feel that you. Ewe gets so much play in crosswords and in rebuses, and without them, the word you would really be in trouble.
Speaker 2: Do we ever talk about use except when we use that word in a puzzle?
Speaker 1: Right exactly? I have never just been talking, Hey, did you see that nice you?
Speaker 3: Right looking out over Central Park? I think there's a U in a.
Speaker 1: Great lawn right now, use meadow.
Speaker 2: Even if there was one, you would say there's a sheep, right, You wouldn't immediately run to check the sex and then say it's a U.
Speaker 1: Yes, that would be hard.
Speaker 3: So that's this is.
Speaker 2: Us being city guys, not using these words.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 3: All right, here's here's a here's one more for you.
Speaker 2: Quick time three point one four one five nine.
Speaker 1: I love it. Quick well pie is the second part three point you get that? And quick time I mean I'm thinking, what is sweety sweetie? QuickTime is a it's a program where you record record pie. It's a program.
Speaker 2: So if I were doing a cryptic crossword puzzle, I would use quick time to clue two letters.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, very good, qt pie qute pie bye, Yes exactly, all right, got it?
Speaker 3: Got good one? All right, we'll do two more.
Speaker 2: All right, ready a reasonably good grade, two really bad grades.
Speaker 1: Well I'm oh interesting, Oh okay, I got it, I got it. Took me a while reasonably, go just be I'm happy with bees and then not a good grade is f BFF.
Speaker 2: Exactly, BFF best friend. That's a more contemporary candy hearts there. That wasn't around in the nineteen oh one. They didn't have BFF candy hearts. No, but keeping up, all right, here's the last one. I think a nice little send off confectionery conversation like this puzzle.
Speaker 1: M all right. I have a theory, which is confectioneries sweet and conversation is talk, sweet.
Speaker 3: Talk, sweet talk, sweet talk. Exactly. This puzzle is sweet talk.
Speaker 1: It's very metal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was always about candy.
Speaker 1: Fantastic. I loved it.
Speaker 2: I loved it, Thank you, thank you, well done.
Speaker 3: Don't share it with Julie. Just give her the graph. You'll be fine.
Speaker 1: You know what I am going to try. I am going to go outside of my cost benefit year and actually try to write something romantic. So we'll see how that goes. I'll report back, and then we'll aweigh the pros and cons of being rational versus emotional.
Speaker 3: You do a cost benefit analysis? Exactly?
Speaker 1: Well, thank you, Greg, that was pantantic. Oh do you have an extra credit for the puzzlers at home.
Speaker 2: I do have an extra credit I'm going to use.
Speaker 3: I'm going to give two. I'm going to give two.
Speaker 2: The first extra credit is reddish brown body of water or.
Speaker 3: Howl at the Moon.
Speaker 1: Okay, love it.
Speaker 2: The other one is a young woman who loves Venezuelan politician Chavez.
Speaker 1: Okay, I love it. And who does it except for most people? All right, Well, if you want the answers, please tune in next time, and please have a great Valentine's Day, and please send your love to the puzzler by giving us five stars if you feel like it, and we'll see you here tomorrow for puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 3: Hello puzzlers.
Speaker 2: Greg Pliska here with the extra credit answer from our previous show, Andy Borowitz was playing anagrams with us, and the extra credit clue, which anagrams into a famous person's name, was catched them Women guy. So we're looking for a guy who quote can catch them women. And the answer there's a lot of letters, but if you write him down and mix them around, you can spell Matthew McConaughey. Of course, you need to know how to spell Matthew McConaughey, which is a challenging name to spell, but if you got it, you know he's the catch them women guy. Thanks for playing along and we'll see you next time. D