Speaker 1: Art originals. This is an iHeart original.
Speaker 2: It's twenty twelve and players at Culver Stockton College in Canton, Missouri are gearing up for football practice. Canton is a college town, but not a big one. Nestled near the Mississippi River, the population is less than three thousand. Their source of athletic pride is the Culver Stockton Wildcats, but times have been tough. During the previous season, they went just one and ten. It wasn't so much sport as human sacrifice. But there's a sense their fortunes can be turned around, maybe with some new blood. At practice, a freshman named Mike Davis looks around and spots an older man, a very very big man six foot five and two hundred and ninety five pounds, And Mike starts to wonder if maybe this giant has a son who's going to be playing here, hopefully a kid who has the same oversized proportions.
Speaker 3: And I'm looking around the wave room, you know, just like, who's this guy's got a kid here?
Speaker 1: Like, whose kid is this guy's.
Speaker 2: Mike's head coach looks at the guy, then back at.
Speaker 3: Mike, and he goes, oh, no, that's that's Andy he's actually gonna be playing for us, And at that point my mind blew a little bit and I was like, well, that's that's a grown man.
Speaker 1: I was like, you know, I asked him, like, how old is he goes, Oh, I was thirty eight.
Speaker 2: Thirty eight is older than the coach, older than the trainers, older than almost everyone in and around the team. That's how Mike and every other player learns about Andy Staton. Andy is the newest nostwn for the Wildcats and a man who's about to get a second lease on life by returning to a game he walked away from almost twenty years prior. It's an opportunity to provide a better life for himself and his kids and close a chapter on a story he never quite finished. But as a midlife crisis goes, this one is going to.
Speaker 1: Hurt a lot.
Speaker 2: This is very special episodes and iHeart original podcast. I'm your host, Danish Schwartz and this is old Man on Campus.
Speaker 4: Welcome everybody. This is a little different episode this week because we are in the same room. The three of us have never been in the same time zone before and now were sitting.
Speaker 5: For breathing the same air.
Speaker 4: Breathing the same air, and it's the air at the Super Bowl.
Speaker 6: I know everyone I told that I was going to Vegas this week looked at me like, like I told them I was going to Mars. Because I am the least likely person to be involved with anything related to sports.
Speaker 5: So you're not a football fan, Dana.
Speaker 7: No, I'm a fan.
Speaker 6: Of getting together with a group of friends and men loved ones and eating snacks. Yes, like I like a communal activity, Like I like the idea of watching football together.
Speaker 7: I don't. I don't really care about sports in general.
Speaker 6: But I'm not like one of those infuriating like sports ball people like. I get why people like it, it's just not I'm so focused usually on history that I don't have room in my brain for football rules.
Speaker 8: It makes perfect sense. How is the Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce made it to you?
Speaker 6: That is actually my only interest in football now? And I have asked my husband when Travis Kelsey plays because I like to see if she's there, I like to see what she's wearing. Look, I'm a thirty one year old white woman. This is that is my super Bowl.
Speaker 5: For you guys.
Speaker 4: Thank you last year on this set. We were in Arizona. The Iheart's NFL partnership is why we're out here, and Travis and Jason Kelsey recorded on our set. And this is before Taylor Swift, before the podcast was you know, the as huge a deal as it is.
Speaker 5: So there's some people here.
Speaker 4: Today who thought maybe the Kelsey's and Taylor Swift were going to come and it said they got us. So the disappointed views from the super fans walking through.
Speaker 5: I can take my shirt off like Jason Kelsey. If it helps you, just.
Speaker 4: Let's try it.
Speaker 7: I can try to sing. We'll see how that goes.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 4: Today's story is not about Taylor Swift or it.
Speaker 7: Is about football.
Speaker 4: It is about football.
Speaker 5: And a big guy much like Travis Kelsey.
Speaker 7: Remind me what position did Andrew Stayton play.
Speaker 4: He was a defensive lineman, a big, hulking guy stopping the run. He'd be lined up across from Jason kelcey. I don't know if that helps.
Speaker 6: All I know the only two positions in football that I know is tight end because that's Travis Kelsey and my husband used to be a defensive tackle.
Speaker 8: Oh okay, well that's exactly what he played. He played the same exact same position as your husband.
Speaker 7: Great, I'm sure I would like him alone.
Speaker 4: Does your husband have any college eligibility left? Could get him out?
Speaker 7: You might be he can be part season two. We can focus on him.
Speaker 5: The Howard's kniece because we can get him out here.
Speaker 4: Y so far, so goodud And while we're here, just want to thank everyone for the incredible response that the show has gotten.
Speaker 7: Day Oh my god, thank you so much to everyone who's listened.
Speaker 4: Everyone who's listened, everyone who's watched danis TikTok's about the show. All the different iHeart shows that have let us run our promos on their show, all the radio stations, the kind of feedback, it's all been great.
Speaker 6: iHeart for letting us come to last Day. Yes, stay here and get a fancy dinner.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, we'll have to do extended credits. Here to thank Josh and Kurt and Aaron for letting us sit here on the set and do our little banter.
Speaker 7: Let's get into the episode.
Speaker 1: I was so small coming into high school.
Speaker 9: My brother was graduated at six seven about two forty, and coming in my freshman year, I was about five six, one fifty and the wrestling coach told me. He said, why to try? You know, one's sixty next year.
Speaker 2: That's Andy Staton. He's describing his formative years as an athlete in Duwajack, Michigan. There was wrestling, running, track, tennis, and of course, suiting up for football. Duwajack is football country, the type of place where babies get tiny footballs to play with instead of rattles. But the size and strength he needed had to be earned.
Speaker 1: A had hike.
Speaker 9: Now I'm wrestling heavyweight. He goes, how can you wrestle heavyweight? You weight one hundred and fifty two pounds. I said, well, I'm gonna make it. That's the time you had to weigh one hundred and eighty eight miles to wrestle, while my sophomore year I came out one hundred and eighty and had to drink a gallon of water to make weight.
Speaker 2: That's Andy determined, stubborn. Tell him he can't and he'll find a way around you, or if it's on the field, through you. The grit the tenacity was probably genetic. Andy's father, Jerry Staden, was recruited by the legendary bo Schembeckler at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, before turning to high school coaching. Andy's brother Mark played two seasons in the NFL and wound up coaching for Michigan State. The Stadens are a football family.
Speaker 9: My dad was a small snows tackle in the sixties and my brother was the largest in the nineties. My dad played at about two o five, my brother played at about three twenty.
Speaker 2: And when it was time, Andy strapped on the cleats and the pads too, parlaying his physical presence as a defensive player for Duajack Union High School and for a while his life followed a predictable path. Football came easily, but class work didn't. He wound up at Farris State University in Big Rapids, Michigan, and became a bulldog.
Speaker 9: The D one schools they all called me up and the last day before signing said we can't trust your grade points. So they all had eighteen calls and one night nose back then on rotary phone. That's pretty depressing. The next day D two schools started calling me and I ended up going on a couple of visits. I ended up taking Farris State's offer and went up red shirted there.
Speaker 7: But that's really the last time.
Speaker 2: Andy's story plays out like every other football story you've heard. For starters, Andy didn't care for college at Ferris. For his first semester, he kept having problems with people stealing his not just electronic equipment like his television, but swiping a check and other things. This continued on a near weekly basis.
Speaker 1: People are robbing me.
Speaker 9: So I ended up moving off campus lived with some offensive lineman, which hated me because I was a D lineman and typically O line and D lineman. I'm not saying that they're a little more relaxed, and then I guess I was a little more of the aggressive one hundred mile an hour would up like a you know, a rubber band that we were ready to snap at any time. So I kind of had issues with these older O linemen and which you know, I look back on it now as I am that sure of course. So you know, I was nineteen and crazy, but I wasn't ready for as myself.
Speaker 2: He was still struggling academically. College became a perfect storm of problems. So at the end of the year, Andy came to.
Speaker 1: A decision fuck it out.
Speaker 9: Played the spring game, and after the spring game, about a week or two after I went to the head coach and said I was done.
Speaker 2: He dropped out after the spring semester. He wanted to see what else was out there. Call it a temporary lapse in maturity. At twenty, most of us have them. He started going to Southwestern Michigan College, but not for football. He took time to think about what he really wanted to do with his life. Then, one night in nineteen ninety five, while out with his girlfriend, a stranger's split second decision almost ended it. Andy was out in his Pontiac with his girlfriend behind the wheel. Another car, a Honda Accord, tried to pass a tractor trailer. The driver didn't see Andy's call.
Speaker 9: We were in an eighty six Pontiac and we were out some country road, semi coming up over a hill and we're in the bottom of a dip and as soon as we come up pressed it over the hill. Carl students from a local university here in southwest Michigan, pulled out.
Speaker 1: Hit his head on. I pulled my arm out around her.
Speaker 9: I went through the windshield, my hip caught the dash, came back through.
Speaker 1: There was a bench seat broke the seat back. Of course, when I went through.
Speaker 9: I can remember the lights of the semi and the glass fly in and come back through.
Speaker 1: You know, I was instantaneous, instant backwards.
Speaker 2: The cars collided head on. Andy, all six to five of him, was almost tossed clear of the pontiac. The damage was substantial. It was the kind of thing where doctors say you're lucky to be alive. It's possible being in great shape saved his life, but Andy didn't quite know the extent of the damage. At first. He was more concerned for his girlfriend, who was seriously injured. She wound up being okay. Once the adrenal kneln wore off, Andy spent three weeks.
Speaker 7: In the ICU.
Speaker 9: Broke my back, crushed all my ribs, nerve damage, whatnot.
Speaker 1: Didn't think I was going to do football anymore.
Speaker 2: He spent months recuperating. His enthusiasm for returning to college. Returning to football waaned, and no wonder a broken back tends to dampen your appetite for a full contact sport, so Andy dropped out of school, this time for good. He diverged from the family business of football and opted for a more conventional means of earning a living. Labor he worked as a paver, He poured asphalt for roads. He got into the construction business and farming. He used the physicality that had served him so well on the field and made a life for him and his wife, who he married in nineteen ninety five, and later for their two sons, Clay and Luke. With every passing year, football kept getting further and further in the rear view, and so was a life that made sense. By two thousand and nine, Andy was in the midst of a divorce and the possibility his sons would be relocated to Florida. Things were looking well grim. At the age of thirty seven, Andy took stock and realized that this wasn't the way he had envisioned things working out. But unexpected turns work both ways. Sometimes life blindsides you with tragedy or a honda, and sometimes it surprises you with a.
Speaker 7: Little bit of a break.
Speaker 2: Andy's break came in the form of a phone call, one that would turn his world upside down. One day in twenty eleven, Andy's phone ring on the other end was Jeff duven Deck, coach for the Culver Stockton Wildcats.
Speaker 9: So I was living in a farmhouse out in another towel and came to see my dad after I was cutting trees down and my phone rings and I was talking to my dad and I answer it and he goes, hey, is Jeff Dubin Deck.
Speaker 1: How you doing, Andy?
Speaker 9: And I'm like good, good, just getting off work and he's like, well, I'm looking for a nose tackle that could play this fall. Like, Jeff, I don't know any kids right now that could play collegiate ball.
Speaker 1: I haven't been following high school football.
Speaker 9: And he's like, well, I want you. And Jeff at the time, I was thirty seven, and I said I can't play football at thirty seven years old, and he goes, well, your brother said you're the mean of son of a gun to ever walk down a football field, and I want the meana son of a gun to play for me.
Speaker 2: Jeff duven Deck's back was up against a wall Newly and Stuff as the coach for the Wildcats. They had posted a dreadful one and ten record in his first season there. He needed more muscle a defensive tackle, and he happened to mention this to Mark Stayton, Andy's brother, Mark, remember, is a fellow coach. It was Mark who told Jeff, Well, what about Andy. Here's coach Jeff.
Speaker 1: We got one win in our first year.
Speaker 10: You know, we struggled. I remember coming back to visit Michigan State to work one of their camps and do some recruiting, and I stopped in to see Mark, Andy's brother, and just said, hey, you know, he's asking how it was going. I said it's going, but we, uh, you know, we just don't have any size. I mean, some bigger guys, we don't have any He's like, well, you remember my brother, he's going through divorce and looking to finish his college degree and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: So Jeff looked into it. Logistically, nothing was stopping him from recruiting Andy, who had the size he needed. Even though he hadn't played the game in years or was it decades, A lifetime of physical labor had kept him strong. Andy weighed his options. He didn't want to be away from his kids, but on the other hand, a degree could open up new job opportunities. Tuition to Culver Stockton, which today costs forty thousand dollars a year, would be fully paid, and well, wait, wasn't this all kind of crazy? Andy was thirty seven, soon to be thirty eight. Football is hard, even on young bodies. This was a Rocky type scenario, but not the Rocky of that first movie, The Rocky of Rocky Balboa, where Rocky is in his fifties and stages a comeback in football years. Andy wasn't too far off.
Speaker 1: So I'd like, Oliver, you Jeff, I think he was thirty two or thirty three.
Speaker 9: I said, could you wrap up again? He goes, well, no, but I'm not built like you. My dad's looking at me, and of course my dad, being a you know, ex coach slash collegiate ballplayer, he was what was that about last? So I just got offered to go back to play out football. And you can't play football, you're too old. You're thirty seven. So I started in a while he's kind of saying this to me. I say, well, challenge accepted.
Speaker 2: Pop pros outweighed the cons A degree meant a better financial future, so off he went to become a Culver Stockton Wildcat. Culver Stockton is an NAIA school that stands for the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics. It's a governing body like the NCAA. The NCAA is much bigger with over one thousand schools compared to the NAIA is two hundred and fifty or so, but the best of the NAIA can often match certain divisions of the NCAA. So while this was a liberal arts school, there wasn't anything already about the football. It was the real thing. Something Andy discovered in his first practice.
Speaker 9: I get hit by I don't remember. It was like an offensive guard pulled and I can remember big blue and red balls and.
Speaker 1: I'm like, did I make a mistake? And it was like the second snap of the practice that will you know as far as hitting part of it.
Speaker 9: But I do remember that first practice going, man, did I make a mistake doing this?
Speaker 1: And once I got my feet underneath me and I was all right.
Speaker 9: Meeting all the guys, of course they're questioning, who's this old guy.
Speaker 2: Andy's first appearance was, as Mike Davis explained, a bit of a surprise to the team, but that amusement gave way to something else when Andy suited up.
Speaker 1: Here's Mike, huge, huge guy, very hard move.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I just first time I seen him at pads it was like, holy crap, you looked even bigger.
Speaker 9: Because he's a pretty large dumed so well, if you were to basically get into a car and drive it into a brick.
Speaker 3: Wall, like that's pretty much what it was. Every time I would jump on him as soon as we you know, the ball was snaffed. I'd be on top of them all over. But he was just so strong that it wouldn't matter. It could be, you know, first of the punch. Every time he would just take me over and move me back like it was nothing.
Speaker 1: So there was no.
Speaker 3: Drive even three man because he was just so strong and made it very difficult.
Speaker 1: But yeah, being heads with a wall man.
Speaker 2: Even at thirty eight, Andy had exactly what coach Jeff was looking for, what Rocky balboas trainer, was looking for, blunt force trump. He was the team's resident brick wall immobile and highly resistant to attack. The idea of Andy playing at his age was funny until it wasn't until you had to face off with him. But once practice was over, the aches began. Andy's body was a throbbing nerve ending. It wasn't just the car accident that could have led to lasting effects. No one's really sure. It was the cumulative effects of spending decades in manual labor, and years before that, playing football as a young man, there were ice baths and massages and a trainer who was tasked with putting andy back together.
Speaker 1: Hips, knees back. That was probably the most.
Speaker 9: I mean I was constantly taking ice baths, get the lactic acid obviously out of my muscles, going in, getting hooked up to those electrodes stimulating the muscles in every area, and being older, you know, had just.
Speaker 1: You don't recover like young people do.
Speaker 9: You know when you're a kid thirteen, fourteen, you'd go do something and you'd be sore that night and then next day you're fine. Well, when you're fourty, did you go out give it one hundred percent on Saturday?
Speaker 2: Going to practice and showing up thirty minutes early just to stretch.
Speaker 9: I was fine even, you know, It's just until I went to bed and woke up the next day and go ooh, and it was like literally being in a.
Speaker 1: Car accident train. It just felt like I got this frap kicked out of me.
Speaker 9: I mean, I've got pictures on my phone of bruises I'd have and they were just grotesque. You're talking my whole quad just completely green and black and blue, you know, purple armed brunes from my top of my bicep to my wrists and it would swell up and oh yeah, just I mean it was that daily grind.
Speaker 2: On the field. Well, that was different. The field was a pain killer. Adrenaline shaved a lot of years off and Andy was able to do what Andy does. Number ninety three was a human bulldozer.
Speaker 9: Some saturdays, I felt young again. It was a transition. You know, I might be lenting like a son of a gun from Monday to Friday, but then on Saturday, I'd get a pep in my step and fly around, you know, a head out of swivel.
Speaker 2: Here's coach Jeff again.
Speaker 10: There was one play that I remember specifically where they were double teaming up and he kind of took one hand on one guy in one hand on the other and pushed him both apart, and he was standing right and the running backs away as he tried to go through that area just stuck out to me just because of the strength and power shown in that play. I don't know if that's necessarily his best play, but it's just one that is ringing in my head still.
Speaker 2: Ten years later, Andy was trying to fit in another way too. The rules Culver Stockton mandated that you had to reside within the state to attend on campus, so that first year he did as freshmen do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't have much.
Speaker 9: I lost pretty much everything in the divorce, so as far as material items, I.
Speaker 1: Didn't have much.
Speaker 9: But I went down there lived in a fraternity house on campus for the first semester because they.
Speaker 1: Couldn't find a room mate for me. And yeah, I went down there with just basically close a couple of suitcases, TV.
Speaker 9: And I was about it and ended up living in a frat house first semester, which was interesting.
Speaker 2: College is college, even if you're twice as old as everyone else.
Speaker 1: It was loud, you know.
Speaker 9: I was thirty eight years old and familied up for all those years, and here I've moved in and they're throwing parties every night. I had to heal up so much because I was so exhausted. I got no rest.
Speaker 1: It was just so loud. And luckily I was on the top.
Speaker 9: Floor of the house and kind of in the corner, so it was a little quieter where I was at, but you could still hear him from the basement going and they were typical young guys.
Speaker 1: You know they're having fun. I would lie to say I didn't join them on Saturday night, so I had fun.
Speaker 9: I was gonna do my thing and feel accepted amongst the young guys.
Speaker 2: Andy stayed in the frat. Just one year after that he moved into a dorm with Mike and some other teammates. But wherever he was, Andy had seniority and a group of twenty year olds looking up to him. Maybe Andy had some answers, not just for football, but in life.
Speaker 9: It was an interesting time. And then you hear you what these young guys think of and their way of thinking compared to my way of thinking at the time, and I would question it in my own mind. I would try to figure out their understanding of what they were talking about, just be able to communicate with and luckily having a teenage son at the time, like kind of knew what they're going through, what they're.
Speaker 1: Likes, and what they didn't like.
Speaker 9: It was an interesting time to go and be amongst yung adults when here I was old enough to be their dad.
Speaker 2: Here's Mike Davis again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: A lot of guys would go to him with life problems and things that he had experienced or been through. Like said, he's been my best friend for a long time and I still reach out to him to this day. You know, my father ended up passing away in twenty nineteen, and he was a big supporter for me, and you know, he drove all the way off from Dwajack and we hung out with us for like a week.
Speaker 1: And he's a great guy, and he's just that type of person.
Speaker 3: He's very giving of himself, but he also shoots you straight.
Speaker 1: So if it's something that you ask him a piece of advice, he's going to give it to you. It's going to be hot and sunest. You know.
Speaker 3: I think that resonated a lot with some of the younger guys, especially, you know, he's twice in each.
Speaker 2: The Wildcats were definitely because a team on and off the field, but that first season wasn't a whole lot better than the season Pride. They went three and eight, with two of those victories coming after the opposing teams had to forfeit after using ineligible players in their games, but their lone victory outside of logistics was a memorable one. That October they played Lindenwood University Belleville at home behind fourteen seven with just under three minutes left, the team scored two late touchdowns. Andy contributed ten tackles in the game and forty five for the season, fourteen of them solo. At the end of the spring semester, Andy traveled back to Michigan, where he had custody of his two sons and where he was able to earn some money selling cars. You could call this an active recovery time, since his body needed to heal from the eleven game and countless practices.
Speaker 7: He had put it through.
Speaker 9: Buddy of mine's dad owned both the Ford and Chevy dealerships in our town, and I would go and sell cars in the day and then come home my boys and work out, you know, just.
Speaker 1: Kind of the normal.
Speaker 9: I didn't stay down and train like my roommates stayed down in at Culver and train, but I had my son's full time in the summer show.
Speaker 1: I needed that time.
Speaker 2: Andy returned to Missouri for his sophomore year, his second as a Wildcat. This time the team posted a two and nine record, but there was again a sense Andy was able to turn the clock back a bit.
Speaker 1: Of course, I was a ron stopper.
Speaker 9: I wasn't much of a pass rusher, playing at three hundred average, but between three ten and three hundred and forty pounds I could hold two three guys. I was double on triple team almost eighty five percent of the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. It was great.
Speaker 2: During that's and Andy's father was able to see him play for the first time since he was at Farris State. Well, it seems like a simple thing. It wasn't a foregone conclusion. Jerry Stayton, then in his seventies, had been through open heart surgery. He'd been battling cancer, so seeing him at a game was a big deal.
Speaker 1: I think we're in Iowa.
Speaker 9: My dad came down to watch, and my brother's closest friend in high school was living out there, so he came to and I was having a heck of a game I can remember. And then the old line on that particular team. Back then they could do the chop block before they made it illegal. And this one kid, he just he kept chopping and then he would leg with me. He hyper extended my knee, and of course I could still run, so I run off the field. My trainer, Robbie Carmichael, he's like you're done, and I'm like, melt taa dapa, and he's like, he goes, there's only you know whatever, not even half of the fourth quarter left, and my dad's you know, standing by the fence now looking at me.
Speaker 1: I'm on the you know, the gurney, and I'm just I.
Speaker 9: Made him tape me up and I went back out and finished the game.
Speaker 2: Still the damage was adding up. Every game can be like a minor car accident with the same kind of injuries.
Speaker 9: I had a staff in infection in my knee and I did miss two games from that, and then I broke my ribs my second year and I missed two games with that. It was a home game and guy crack blocked me and put his helmet my ribs, broke my bottom.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't let the doctor test him anymore.
Speaker 9: He used the tuning fork style as where he takes a tuning fork and he hits it vibrates and if you scream, it's broken. And he did the bottom two and I told you to do another one, doc, you're going to have broken ribs, because I I could take it more.
Speaker 2: There was another summer resting, and then his junior year where the Wildcats finally found their rhythm. They went five and five for the season, but four and two at home.
Speaker 6: It was an.
Speaker 9: Experience as far as growing together, having a winning season on our third year.
Speaker 2: But that winning effort would come at a very steep price. At Culver Stockton, everything was largely falling into place. Andy was doing well academically, managing to make it home to Michigan to see his sons, and not partying too hard. But football is unlike a lot of sports, It's virtually a form of combat.
Speaker 9: I didn't move as well my third year, just because I was hurting so much. But my first year, I would say my first season was my most dominating season. I was a little fresher, was so beat up, but I came in every game.
Speaker 1: You know. I gave everything I said I always did.
Speaker 2: By the time he was nearing his senior year and crossing forty years old, Andy's body had finally had enough. Just getting to the field became an exercise in determination.
Speaker 1: There were there were times that I'd have to have help. Guys would get me down.
Speaker 9: Because everything that's called the College on the Hill for a reason. Every there's hills everywhere in Culver and to get down to the stadium. You had to walk down about seven flights of stairs. I'd have to have help, either's somebody on one side, me holding both hands on the guardrail walking slope. I can remember Sundays not being fun, that's for sure. My body was completely My knees were so loose.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 9: The trainer he do tests on him and you could separate them. They were so the elasticity in my ligaments were They're gone.
Speaker 2: It was decision time. Football had given Andy a new lease on life. But if you went on too long, it might wind up being too much on his body.
Speaker 9: So I just knew I didn't have another season. I physically couldn't. Did I want to, of course I did, But I miss also missed my boys, and I was ready to be around them, you know, full time.
Speaker 1: And that was the other thing I had to get back.
Speaker 9: I'd gotten my degree, I'd gotten my education done, and yes, I could have stayed around for another season.
Speaker 1: I was ready to come home.
Speaker 2: As they say, he wanted to play four years, but the pain and recovery was too much of a burden. Well that was a goal, it wasn't the goal. The goal was to earn a business degree, and thanks to his credits carrying over from Faris State all the way back in nineteen ninety three, Andy was able to graduate in three years. He hadn't just gone back to fix a football career. He had also turned back the clock academically.
Speaker 1: I ended up graduating with like a three five.
Speaker 9: I think it was culvert where, you know, when I was at Faris, I left there like a two seven.
Speaker 1: I made it just two six.
Speaker 9: I can't remember something like that. I didn't care, you know, and listen second time. I knew that the education was the main factor, but it was also the time to finish what I'd started at such a young inch.
Speaker 1: I had that opportunity. I was passive though.
Speaker 2: His final game came against Benedictine, a twenty nine to nineteen loss for the Wildcats. Fittingly, it was senior day.
Speaker 1: It was time to hang athletes up.
Speaker 9: Once I've turned forty and played that last season, it was definitely time to hang him up.
Speaker 2: By now, it was twenty fifteen and Andy returned to Dewagik with a degree. He kept selling cars for a while, but eventually turned his attention to another their mode of transportation.
Speaker 9: Well, I stayed with the car industry for all about a year and a half two years, and just wasn't making the money I needed to. And a friend the family had this diesel company selling diesel engines and diesel engine parts and asked me if I wanted to try it out, and I said, well, yeah, I see what happened, and ended up working for him, and he ended up selling it about two years ago. But I'm still a family owned company, so I'm still still here buying and selling diesel.
Speaker 2: Engines in Dwagic. Andy is a bit of a local legend. If you know football, you know his story. There's the comeback sports tale of it all, of course, but there was more to it than that. For Andy, football was a way to moderate his emotions, a kind of stress reliever.
Speaker 9: My dad always told me, he said, you know, you're so aggressive. The sports things what keeps you out of trouble, And he was right. I had a switch that I couldn't turn off unless I was playing the game or wrestling or lifting or whatnot. But playing down there it helped turn that switch off that I had been carrying on for nineteen years after and I mean it was an experience of a lifetime.
Speaker 2: Being a Wildcat. Was also the end of the what if game? What if he had stayed at Ferris, what if he had followed his father and brother further into football. There are questions that can haunt the mind for years, maybe forever.
Speaker 9: It was closing a chapter in my life that never got closed after my first year or you know at faris so when you work so hard for something throughout your younger years.
Speaker 1: And then you give up on it. I mean I quit. I was a quitter.
Speaker 9: My family didn't raise quitters. That was the hardest thing for me. So finishing the game, finishing the school, it just closed that chapter that needed to be closed.
Speaker 1: It's over now a memory, it's a great memory.
Speaker 9: I'd really have no complaints of that period in my life, I mean, other than not being around my son's on a more regular basis. But God intended that happen without anyone knowing.
Speaker 2: For Mike and other members of the team, Andy's presence was something special. It's hard to go through life thinking something isn't possible when your teammate returned to college football at an age most guys are thinking about their prostate health. Here's Mike.
Speaker 1: He was He was an All Conference player.
Speaker 3: I mean, it wasn't like he was some you know, kicker, a bench guy or anything like that.
Speaker 1: He played, and he played a lot. I guess it just goes to show you me and you just never know and you can be done doing something or not. But I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just one of those things that it's impressive and to know that if he could do it, somebody else do.
Speaker 1: And I think that his resilience is unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Today Andy doesn't really need to be reminded of his accomplishment. His body does that every day. He probably needs knee surgery for starters.
Speaker 1: I don't recommend guys going to doing it paying for it.
Speaker 9: Now I can barely walk. The pain is ten times full. That was in pain doing it, but now it's with me.
Speaker 1: Twenty four to seven.
Speaker 9: I sell diesel engines, sit behind the desk, so I'm not really moving too much anymore. But I definitely wouldn't recommend it to any other thirty eight thirty nine year old boys to go play nose tackle.
Speaker 2: And while there's no chance Andy is going to become a forty eight year old sensation on any field, it's not because he wouldn't want to try you.
Speaker 1: Know, if I can still play to this day, I'd play every single day in my life. I love stepping on that field. There's no other feeling in the.
Speaker 2: World except, of course, the feeling that comes with finishing what you started on a field near the Mississippi, or maybe the feeling you have watching your son step onto the field today. Luke Andy's youngest son plays college ball at Northern Michigan, where he's also a Wildcat.
Speaker 1: He's enjoying it. He's a good sized kid.
Speaker 9: He's six ' four about two fifty two fifty five, just continuing the family tradition. He's playing d Lion. He's starting long snapern punk. He's got an unbelievable snap. It's rare to see him.
Speaker 1: Make a mistake when it comes to the snap.
Speaker 9: And I told him that's healthier anyway, I said, your body doesn't get beat up being a lot of snapping.
Speaker 1: Oh. Like I said, there's no other feeling in the world but that hell.
Speaker 9: I mean, it's something that not many men get to experience, especially at the collegiate level.
Speaker 1: And just play every game like at your.
Speaker 7: Last this time.
Speaker 2: Andy finally, is what those Culver Stockton players originally imagine him to be on his first day of training, someone's proud cheering from the sidelines.
Speaker 5: I cannot believe that story. I mean, okay, you have to understand.
Speaker 8: I'm kind of like an accident mavin like, I'm down to go forty miles an hour and hit pavement.
Speaker 5: There's no way you could get me. And I'm a little older than this guy.
Speaker 8: There's no way you get me on a football field and have three hundred pound men hit me over and over again and be like, yeah, I can do this, I can take it. And I'm not even afraid of getting hit by a car.
Speaker 6: I'm afraid of everything, and football scares me so much. Even now, I can barely touch my toes. I don't know how someone his age was doing the physical feats he was.
Speaker 5: Do you feel like you understand your husband a little bit better now though?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 6: Absolutely, Although he has told me stories about playing football in high school and getting like multiple concussions, and I'm like, I do not know why people do this on purpose, but they do, and they love it and it's important to America as a.
Speaker 8: Culture completely, and all of my doctors, there are parts of my body even feel anymore like one of my knees like I can put in a position, you can.
Speaker 5: Just put fire on it.
Speaker 4: I can't feel that. So very special character, Yes, I have one who's yours. I'm gonna go with the coach because here's what I what I like about the coach. Everyone in college football he's competing against, like they are recruiting their kids, yes playing football, and he decided to go, you know, a little, a little outside the box, way outside and just find an older man who was physically much larger than everybody and.
Speaker 5: Could be the father most of the other teammates.
Speaker 6: My very special character is an implied character. Oh he or she is not actually in the episode, but it is Andrew's orthopedist, and I just want to give respect where respect is do?
Speaker 5: I like that? Good call.
Speaker 8: My very special character is also somebody who is not actually featured in the episode. But I want to know who was it who robbed the six foot five defensive tax when he was in the repeat college Yeah, repeat, I kept getting robbed.
Speaker 5: I'm like, who's robbing?
Speaker 7: This makes a real like? Was it like a trickster?
Speaker 4: This?
Speaker 7: Because I couldn't have been through brute force?
Speaker 4: Zaren have you cast this one?
Speaker 8: I did I'm glad you asked, Jason. I thought a lot about this because there's a lot of.
Speaker 5: Big guys, you know.
Speaker 8: You're like, oh, maybe a young Vincent and Afrio, Maybe that guy from like you know, the New Reacher TV show.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, a little little more muscle and weight on him.
Speaker 8: But I was like, you know what, No, I've got it, and a lot of people they they may not see this and may not agree, but hear me out. Put a little extra weight on him. Maybe go send him over to Italy on a eating tour. Yeah, Adam Driver, he's got the height and also he's got the intensity. You don't think about it, but he's got the intensity.
Speaker 7: He played an older man in Ferrari.
Speaker 5: Yes, there you go.
Speaker 6: He can pull that off. I think I don't think he's tall enough. But I would love a role that brings chubby Chris Pratt back. Oh yeah, I would love if he got back into that that physique.
Speaker 5: I like it.
Speaker 4: Here's who I would cast and bring it back to our conversation at the top, But I think we put Jason Kelcey and Travis Kelcey in this together. I don't know which one plays Andy, which one plays his brother, but I think they're going to be looking for something after this whole football thing, and movies about football is a nice.
Speaker 7: Jump podcast Don't Last Forever?
Speaker 4: Yeah that's right.
Speaker 5: Where are they? Where are they? Where are they now?
Speaker 4: You know? Oh, they rented a building.
Speaker 5: That makes sense.
Speaker 8: I liked also the story because it had kind of like a Paul Newman in Slapshot feel.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure if you know that movie, but.
Speaker 8: It's just like this chaotic sports energy and you're just like, I love this. It makes you all of a sudden feel like in that case it's hockey, but this case was football because I played football, and listening to the guy, I'm like, I could feel the hits.
Speaker 5: I was like, oh man, this is authentico. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: And also a very special behind the scenes character producer Josh Fisher over there for sound designing those hits and making me feel like I'm concussed, which is great. That's what you want to put people in the story. Well, well, Zaron Dana, thank you for schlepping out here to Vegas, and we're gonna go to a nice team dinner tonight. I don't think there'll be tiktoks, but if there are, follow Dana's TikTok.
Speaker 7: I can't wait. Thank you.
Speaker 6: This was such a delight to finally get to hang out with you guys in person.
Speaker 5: I'm so glad to be here with you guys.
Speaker 4: Yeahs Aaron, We've probably been on hundreds of hours of Zoom together. The first time we have physically met in person, Dana, it's been a couple of years since, uh, since I've seen you, and you.
Speaker 7: Knew me back in my post grad days.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And can I be real with you guys, You guys were way cooler than I thought you were be in person.
Speaker 7: I'll take it.
Speaker 6: I don't play football, but I do try to be slightly cooler than people expect in person.
Speaker 5: See, I don't do that. I'd the exact opposite. So that's why I can say that. I'm like, oh, well, you know I tried.
Speaker 4: Sorry, Well, thank you for listening. We'll be back with another one of these next Wednesday. Yeah, very special Episodes is made by some very special people. This episode was written by Jake Rawson. Our producer, editor and sound designer is Josh Fisher. Additional editing by Jonathan Washington, Mixing and mastering by Beheid Fraser. Original music by Alice McCoy. Our researchers are Austin Thompson and Marsa Brown Show logo by Lucy Kintonia, And again, just want to thank Aaron Kaufman and Kurt Garren from the iHeart team for letting us come hang out here, and you know, I'm sure they got eight hundred other things they'd rather be doing. Great sports. Thank you very much. Very Special Episodes is a production of iHeart Podcasts.