Speaker 1: Hey, what's up everybody. Welcome to the Get the Charge Podcast presented by the Chargers Podcast Network. My name is Stephen and I'm the host as always, and in joining me is my guy Tyler. Tyler with some man, How are you doing?
Speaker 2: Tonight?
Speaker 3: Ed doing about as well as a Chargers fan who watched the chief Just when there's third Super Bowl?
Speaker 2: But hey, we've got some good drop content coming up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Super Bowl was a lot of fun. I know you guys had a successful outing over at the Shoeing Household. Super Bowl parties are always fun. It was kind of a lose lose for me personally. Living here in the Central Valley. There's a lot of forty nine Ers fans and obviously Chargers against the Chiefs, so you know, it was I was rooting for my squares and my picks to hit, and some.
Speaker 4: Of them did.
Speaker 1: So it's pretty good. We have a great show planning for you guys again today. Mister Trevor Sikkima is back and we went through a ton of different draft scenarios this week. He's been in Las Vegas getting a lot of draft intel and obviously he's been at the Senior Bowl and the Shrine Bowl, so just had a great time picking his brain about what the Chargers could be looking at in the first and second rounds and who could be potentially on the rise at the Combine here in a few weeks. So draft season always sneaks up on you, and we're coming towards the Combine in a couple of weeks, so it should be a lot of fun. And appreciate Trevor so much for joining us today. Before we get to the interview with Trevor, of course, Tyler and I are fans of the team just like you guys are, and we're very grateful for this platform. But the opinions expressed on this show every single week are just that there. Our opinions first and foremost, and we appreciate all of the great support from the Chargers and from you guys listening and watching the show as well. That being said, let's get to this interview with mister Trevor Sikima. All right, guys, welcome back to the show. We are so happy to be joined today again by mister Trevor Sikima. Again you know him well from Pro Football Focus and the Stock Exchange podcast. Strongly encourage you guys to go check that out. They had some great content over the last week or so from Radio Row in Las Vegas. So we're very excited to have Trevor back on the show today. Man and Trevor, what'sup and how are you doing today?
Speaker 4: I am doing great, fellas, appreciate you having me back on. As always, We've had some news in y'all's neck of the woods since the last time I joined the show, which I have a feeling we're going to talk about a little bit. So I'm excited to talk some bath with you guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's been certainly a busy ride over here in Chargers Land. Like Trevor mentioned last time he spoke to him, it was a lot of generality. Is just kind of you know, getting the feelers out there, especially before the Senior Bowl. So, uh, you mentioned it, Trevor, let's dive in here. You guys did a fix your franchise for the Chargers back in the day.
Speaker 2: Back in the day.
Speaker 1: I say that as it wasn't like two months ago, but you did a fix your franchise for the Chargers. And if I had told you back then that they would end up hiring Jim Harbaugh and Joe Hortiz, what would you have What would your thought process have been a couple of months ago if that were the outcome that you could have foreseeing coming.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I didn't know a lot about Hortiz, honestly, you know, when we went through this exercise, you know, with a lot of other teams, not just the Chargers. We did this Fix your Franchise series with a lot of other teams. I just didn't know a lot about Hortiz, And honestly, like after he got signed by the Chargers, I should have, right, It's just kind of hard, you know. You Head coach candidates, I feel like, are much more like in the open. There's so much more information about them than general manager candidates. But man, Hortiz has an impressive background. Obviously, been with the Baltimore Ravens for over twenty years, you know, comes up through the scouting department, truly worked his way up. So he started out just ground level, like everybody doing it for the love of the game, you know, all the all the the tireless hours and all that kind of stuff, and kind of worked up and then it's like, all right, we're gonna give you more players that you're responsible for now, and then it was okay, we're gonna have you manage the whole staff, and then it was okay, we're gonna have you come up with the entire plan. So you love that because building through the draft is the way you build a good team. You know, free agency is there to supplement who you are going to draft. That's ultimately what that is. It takes a marriage of both of those things, pro personnel and player personnel, but the draft, that's that's the bones, Like, that's the foundation that you have of your team. So I love anybody that comes up through that background, especially somebody who has been ingrained at it, as Ortiz has been with the Ravens over their last couple of years. And then Harbaugh is somebody that we did mention in that episode for the Los Angeles Chargers, and the fit makes a ton of sense. Right, You go back to Harbor. Some people only think about his Michigan days, but you got to go back to the forty nine Ers days as well, and even before that, the Stanford days, Right, I mean, like he was coaching Andrew Luckett Stanford before he took over the forty nine Ers and made that one of the best rosters in the NFL. I mean, I was just watching NFL Network the the day and they were showing a replay of the Ravens forty nine or Super Bowl, and I'm watching this thing. I was like, dude, these guys are flying and you sit here and you're like pointing out the names of everybody that's on the forty nine Ers and Ravens roster, and it's like, that was one of the most impressive physical teams I've seen in a long time. And the Ravens ended up winning that Super Bowl, but man, it was just an impressive roster that the forty nine Ers had, and you could tell in that game. So he goes over to Michigan and obviously it takes a long time to rebuild a program in college football, especially up to a national championship level. And they win a championship this past year. I could have very well won it last year, won it last year as well. I don't think they would have. I think it was still be in Georgia, but it could have made it to the national Championship and back to back years probably should have over TCU. And it just speaks to the type of program builder that this guy is and I think that's the situation that the Chargers are in, not that their winning window is closed. I don't ever want to say that for any NFL team, because crazy things happen every single year, and rebuilds can happen very very quickly. I mean, look at the Houston Texas, right But it felt like a lot of chips were in the basket for the Los Angeles Chargers over the last two years of this daily era and it just did not come to fruition. And I think because of that, you're gonna have to turn the page on a handful of these players, and you're gonna have to rebuild in a lot of ways. But from whatever I've read and kind of what I know about these guys, now Ortiz and Harbaugh really good one two punch.
Speaker 2: For him moving forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're really excited. Fans are so excited that the news dropped. The day that our last episode dropped. There was the what are the Chargers doing at A five episode that we had and then the Harbor news dropped, and I felt like, Okay, well, people are a bit more excited about that in terms of turning the page on some of these players and finding some other guys in the draft. Look, Jim Harbaugh is not gonna drop every player out of Michigan, but there's plenty of players coming out of Michigan this season. If you had to just based on the Chargers' needs and Jim Harbaugh and these players, I signed one player to the Chargers out of the draft class, who would that be?
Speaker 2: That's a tough one.
Speaker 4: Team's good, somebody, Yeah, it's it's I can't remember who it was. Might have been Alex Katsen, who who tweeted out a mock draft like right after the Harvard he was broke, and it was just every player from Michigan. And I remember responding to the tweet and I was like, no, this is stupid. And then I look at it more and I was like, actually, that wouldn't matter.
Speaker 2: Actually, So.
Speaker 4: If I had to, I mean, they're national champions for a reason, right, I'm gonna cheat. I'm gonna give you three. I think if I had to pick one and could only have one, it would be Chris Jenkins Junior, the interior defensive lineman. Interior defensive line is something that I know the Chargers are going to prioritize heavy either this year or the next They've got to get better up front, specifically in the middle. And I think that Jenkins, where his shortcomings are kind of his limitations as a pass rusher. Right now, dude is just as strong as an ox pound for pound, one of the strongest dudes in college football. I think he's going to really impress people at the combine that we have coming up here in a couple of weeks. And I think that if I had one player, it would have to be him to anchor and give a really big boost to the run stopping unit on that defensive line. But I'll also throw in there the fact that, man, if they got Roman Wilson, I think he'd be a fantastic deep threat as a receiver for him, and depending on what happens with Austin Eckler, Blake Korum could be a fantastic option for them in the mid rounds. I mean, I don't think you can get play Korum probably round three, round four, something like that. He was extremely productive. It just the running back group is I don't think seen as highly this year as other year, So you're not going to have to use a first or a second round pick on one. Maybe even get him in the third round and then the final one. Aj Varner the tight end I think that played at Michigan his past year, played at Iowa before that, and he's just a really solid run blocker. He really increases your ability to go to twelve personnel and heavy personnel sets, and you know that Harbaugh is going to want to continue that in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's especially on defense with Jesse Minster and basically like the whole Michigan defensive staff coming where I'm sure they're they're likely thinking about the Michigan defensive front and you know Junior Colson is certainly in this group, and same with Mikey sang Rustelle. Just real quick question about Chris Jenkins because we are gonna mention the Combine which is coming up in a few weeks as well. He was on Bruce Feldman's freak list, which happens every single fall. If you guys have not read that, please I definitely encourage you go do that. If he does test at the Combine, like Bruce Feldman would kind of seem to think he could be. Is Chris Jenkins somebody that could maybe launch himself into the first round or do you think he's kind of firmly Day two.
Speaker 4: I think there's a chance because he's he is a really good football player. He just undersized. Yeah, I can pull it up right now. I think I've got him into your defensive line. I have the projected numbers for him. When it comes to height, six foot two and a half, that's below the thirtieth percentile. For Chris Jenkins right aroun three to zero five, that's hovering right around the fiftieth percentile. So you know, when you are shorter and a little bit lighter, when you are a pass rush specialist, you can get away with that, right. I mean, like, it's not as drastic as Klidja Kntsy' been thinking about Kalaidejachancy last year. If the Buccaneers overlooked him and picked him or overlooked the height concerns, weight concerns because he was so good as a pass rusher. You're lighter, but you're making the most of being a lighter player With Jenkins is a little bit tricky because he's lighter and he's smaller, but he's just an ox Like what he does is run defense, and so he's a really good football player. If he got picked at the back end of the first round. I would not in any way be shocked and be like, wow, okay, good football player right there. But it just seems like because of the lack of pass rush production from him, he's going to be more of a priority second round player even from what we're about to see at the combine. Because you got to remember this too, the scouts and the general managers that have really already started this process, really put the big board together. They know Jenkins is gonna be a freak when it comes to a lot of those athletic testing. So what they're about to see in Indianapolis is not gonna surprise anybody. It's gonna be awesome for us to ooh and ah out and tweet about in all caps like I know that I'm gonna do. But for the scouts, for the scouts themselves, they already know what Christianky is gonna bring to the table.
Speaker 3: Let's stick with that. Let's stick with the combine. Who has the potential to, you know, earn themselves the most money at the combine?
Speaker 2: And is there a Jordan.
Speaker 3: Davis and Anthony Richardson in this class who's just gonna score up perfect ten out there.
Speaker 4: Man. You know, there's a handful of guys that I think are really good athletes. Jenkins was gonna be somebody that I was going to bring up. Fellow interior defensive lineman. Another guy who was on Bruce Felman's freaklist, Byron Murphy from Texas. I think he's gonna test off the charts as well. I think Byron Murphy's gonna test so well that it becomes fully consensus that he's gonna be the first interior defensive lineman off the board. I'll tell you somebody who has a chance to earn a lot of money is Austin Booker Dresser from Kansas. Now, he's kind of all over the place, one year full time contributor this past season, but he's just got long arms, a long frame. He's a little bit lighter. I think he plays in the two thirties. But I think this dude is super twitchy, and I think that his athletic scores could push him into the first round consideration. Ultimately, I think he's probably still going to be a second round guy. But anybody who's like, oh, an edge rresher for Kansas, I don't got to watch him It's fine. Austin Booker is really going to surprise you there. I think Cooper Dejean Corner, Queenya Mitchell Corner, I think they're gonna put on a show. Terry on Arnold, I think is the same way I would say. Peyton Wilson, the linebacker from NCI State. I think everybody is sitting here saying, oh, it's a down linebacker class. You know, there's not really one i'd take in the first round. I'll tell you what I recently got done with Peyton Wilson's filmy valve from this past season, and I go to twenty twenty two as well. It's kind of an all encompassing scouting report filming vow and I gave him a late first early second round grade. Now he's got injury history. He had a knee injury as a senior in high school. He had a knee injury towards ACL his first year at nc State. He's had a torn labor him on his shoulder that caused him to miss the twenty twenty one season. Last two seasons he has been healthy, but there's a lot of wear and tear for an older linebacker in a position that demands you make hits every single time that you're out there. So I understand the injury concerns, But when this dude's out there on tape, I think he's a really great athlete, and I think that that's going to show up as them at the combine as well. Final guy, I'll give a shout out to cam Hart. The corner from Notre Dame, bigger, taller corner, and there were times when I saw him, you know, the hips are a little bit slower to turn, just because he's got so much body that he's turning. It's a natural thing that occurs with corners. But he was also on Bruce Felban's freak list, was clocked at over twenty three miles an hour when they had the personal GPS on him, and get a really good Senior Bowl, really good performance in Mobile. So he's somebody who's gaining positive momentum as this draft seasons going on. He might be somebody who really impresses this year as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you mentioned the all caps thing. I can't wait. I remember the Jordan Davis combine. I don't think I'll ever forget that one. There are obviously some negative combine experiences out there too, Trevor, who's somebody that you are kind of maybe anxious about testing poorly in the next couple of weeks here.
Speaker 4: I think the big one is lie out to La to the edge rusher from UCLA. I love his tape. He is one of my favorite prospects in this class. He's going to be a top twenty player for me. I don't really care how he tests, because no matter how he tests in Indianapolis, it does not take away the film that I've seen over the last two years. But he measures in with just thirteenth percentile arm length when he was at the Senior Bowl a couple of weeks ago. I think he's going to be a below fiftieth percent or sorry, a below a fiftieth percentile athlete for the position in probably every category. Probably all the explosive graz his least forty yard dash, ten yard split, broad jump, vertical jump, I think all those are probably gonna be below the fiftieth percent island. So when you have an edge rusher who doesn't have the length the ideal length, doesn't have the ideal explosiveness, there's not a lot of teams that get really jazzed up about that, But you cannot fake that production that he has, especially in the manner that he has had a for UCLA over the last two years. Ninety six point zero pass rush grade over these last two seasons, over twenty three percent pass rush win percentage, no question about it. Has been the most productive pass rusher in all college football from twenty twenty two to twenty twenty three. The hand uses is excellent. He understands how to give to the quarterback and disengage blocks, so so so well. But I'm nervous to warm. I am nervous warm because I like him a lot and he deserves to be drafted high. But if the combine performance isn't great, you might see.
Speaker 2: Him fall a little bit. Yeah, that's too bad. I think for for pro football focus.
Speaker 3: He's on like first or second in the class in grades first, and win rate first, in productivity first, and pressures like. It's just an unbelievable run and tear that he was on going back to the Senior Bowl and even the Shrine Bowl. Are there any ball winners that you would point out as individuals the Chargers would be interested in? And is the Jackson Powers? Johnson dream completely dead for the Chargers in the second round.
Speaker 4: So he was on my list. Actually, yeah, when I was when I was thinking about guys that really stood out that could fit for the Chargers, He's absolutely on my list. The last time that you and I, you guys chatted, we talked about into your offensive line as a potential need for him. Power Johnson had a phenomenal Senior Bowl to the point where, yeah, I think I think the Dreams pretty much did. Now I've heard that you know, he might have I don't know what. I don't know what injury it is, but somebody was telling me he won't there's a chance that he doesn't have a clean medical history, like there's something that might get flagged for him as as so maybe he slides a little bit, but I can't imagine these slides into the second round. So I unfortunately for you guys sake, I think that that dream is dead. If you want him, you would probably be in a situation where you're trading back, which you know. After listening to two Ortiza's opening press conference, we was asked about like team building. Very first thing that he said, Compex baby, give me context. He was He was like, I want to set up a environment where you get compet where well, okay, well how do you do that? You do that by drafting, well, obviously, and you draft a lot. So certainly the Chargers, to me, are not going to be a team that's going to move up at all. I think over the next two years is they kind of set themselves up for that, And I think that they're going to be in this situation where he's even going to entertain trading down from five, you know, Like that's how I mean when you come out of the gate and you were asked about your team building and drafting philosophy and you immediately say compix, like I want to set up compext, That to me says, okay, trading back for five is on the table because you got a lot of different options. You got wide receiver, you got offensive linemen, you got the brock Bauers element, you got corner, and you got a lot of these spots where you could trade from five to seven to nine to fifteen, and like you could get an impact player at one of those positions that I just listed. The further you move back, the more you get back and return. So I wonder if that's going to be the case. But yeah, anyways, getting back to it, Jackson powers Johnson think could be great for him. I'd be tricky to get him on the Chargers at this point, but he'd be great. Quinnon Mitchell is another one I mentioned lockdown corner. He's another one who you'd probably have to trade down to get Roman Wilson I mentioned already. I think is somebody that they need to look out for when it comes to Shrine Bowl guys. There were three guys that I thought of. Ronaldo Green the Florida State corner outside corner, really proficient in man coverage, press man coverage. If that's something that they want to run more of, get aggressive in that regard, which Michigan had the caliber corners to be able to do it this past year, especially with Will Johnson, who's going to be a high draft pick. I think next year. They are known to be aggressive in what they do in the secondary, so I think Bernardo Green from Florida State could be an option for them. Mason McCormick, Okay, this is somebody who South Dakota State interior offensive lineman, just an absolute ass kicker at the Shrine Bowl and he's somebody who, Okay, if you don't get if you don't get Jackson Powers Johnson, this is somebody that you might be able to get in round three who it's like, Okay, similar type of profile from the player, just maybe doesn't have as much hype because he was absolutely dominant during Shrime Bowl practices. And then so is Christian Boyd, the interior defensive lineman from Northern Iowa. He's another person who is absolutely unblockable. I talked about why Chris Jenkins junior would be a great fit because he hits an interior offensive line need or sorry, an interior defensive line need that the Chargers have. Christian Boyd is another person who if you can't get a Jenkins junior again, maybe wait a round or two and you're able to get Boyd. I think that those are some guys who stood out during Shrine and Senior Bowl weeks who could make good Chargers.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I recently want the Penn State center Hunter Norzad, and I'm a big fan of his. I know you saw him down there as well. Really a low KI love this center class in general, but I want to I want to circle back here because you and Connor Rodgers did your last episode about Lance zerlines mock draft, and he and Daniel Jeremiah both had the Chargers selecting Terry on Arnold. You mentioned quarterback a couple of times here. It sounds like the bigger draft guys are kind of cementing Tarryan Arnold as cebe one in this class. I haven't had a chance to watch Quinnon Mitchell from Toledo. You mentioned him as a big Senior Bowl winner, maybe a potential combine winner. Is Arnold that farther that much farther ahead than Mitchell and the rest of the crowd, or do you think cebe one is still potentially after the grabs for a guy like quinnyat Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I don't think that's the case. And I don't mean that it's just like Terryan Arnold at all. I mean I think that Terry On Arnold has all proceeedling. He really does. Him getting unanimously picked between Lance and DJ in the top ten I thought was a little surprising, I really did. But the need makes sense. I think the player makes sense for them. However, Queen on Mitchell, you talk about guys who graded really well, really well in PFF grades, it's really hard to have an elite coverage grade. It's very, very difficult. The job is so hard. The job is so difficult itself, and you know, PFF grades are simply you were getting graded off of, like were you able to do your job? And corner is the toughest position to grade well there. Quarterback is obviously difficult as well, because there's so much up and down that we hear it all the time, like you're gonna lose at corner, Like the corner is kind of like playing baseball, right, like everybody fails, You're gonna fail at some point. Nobody's bat in a thousand and so for you to have an elite grade at corner, it means that you are so consistently winning at the position, or at least giving so many impactful plays that it overcomes the natural, you know, catches that you're gonna allow. Queen On Mitchell had an elite PFF grade not just this past year, the year before as well. Nobody in college football had more forced in completions than him. He is extremely athletic, and I think we're gonna see that at the combine. And the only real question mark in his scouting report came with press coverage because he played off coverage most of the time. I whant to say most of the time. I mean he played four hundred and thirty seven coverage snaps this past year, only twenty of them were in press coverage, which is an astoundingly no low number. Yeah, he gets to mobile for the Senior Bowl, they put him in press coverage, same dominant dude didn't even blink an eye Like It's like he could have played that all on, Because that's the question. When you have such a discrepancy in style versus actual snaps, you go, Okay, are you not being put in that position because you can't play it? Or is it just because that's the overall scheme of the whole team and they're not really going to change it for you because they don't have the horses elsewhere to be able to run pressman coverage. And it turns out he could do this all along. So I really do think it is a battle for CB one between Queenya Mitchell and Terry On Arnold, and it might come down to who ends up having a better combined performance.
Speaker 3: Honestly, what do you think happened then with kool Aid mcinstrey because it felt like so early on in the process it was him.
Speaker 2: He was CB one.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it's a prospect fatigue thing, as they sort of say, what did happen over the course of the last few months or however long it's been for you or other you know, evaluators for McKinstry.
Speaker 2: Do you think, Yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Think it's a little bit of prospect fatigue because we haven't been talking about him for so long. He's still a really good football player. But here's the thing. McKinstry does not have that elite, top tier athleticism that Queena Mitchell, the Terry and Arnold, the Cooper de gene that Nate Wiggins have. He's just not quite that caliber of an athlete. Now, I think that he's plenty good enough to be a starting cornerback in the NFL. And you want to talk about pressman coverage abilities. This guy is so comfortable with his back to the ball, and when you were playing press, that's what you need to be. You know, there's some corners they freak out when they cannot see the ball, when they're not allowed to keep their eyes on the quarterback, they freak out. They just don't have those instincts. McKinstry has phenomenal instinct instincts there. He is so cool, calm collected when he is playing in trail technique and that is that is an absolute art form. Queinya. Mitchell had the most forced in completions in the FBS over the last two years. McKinstry was second, you know, but he just he does not have mckinsrey. That is, he doesn't have that killer instinct when it comes to takeaways that some of these other guys have. When it comes to those interceptions, he'll bat the passes away, but he's not He does not have a ton of turnovers over the last couple of years. And then I just think there's a slight concern with you know, twitchiness and long speed. He's he's a really good athlete. I don't know if it's at the level of these other four cornerbacks who are in this kind of tier one, tier two, first round conversation. So mckinsrey should absolutely still be a first round corner But I think the reason why you're not talking about him in the top ten like you are these other guys is because there might be a little bit of athletic limitation. Now, if he comes to the combine and he runs like four four flat, like if he starts threatening four threes, then you go, okay, never mind, like to move this guy back up because he's got great tape. But I just think that that's might that that might be what we see there when it comes to speed in Indianapolis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Trevor, you obviously released a two round mock draft on Profiba Focus this morning. We're recording this on Monday evening. It sounds like a lot of people around the draft community have really started a pencil in offensive tackle or rock Bowers for you know, the first round pick. You and your mock draft said that you are are kind of hearing that it's wide receiver or corner. We've talked a lot about those two positions today. Why do you think that is? Because it does sound like, you know, there was a certain other analysis said that he's ninety percent sure that it's going to be offensive line for the Chargers.
Speaker 2: Is that smoke?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: How much do you buy the offensive line talk for the Chargers? Let's start there, and then why did you go in kind of a different direction.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't hate it, like I don't hate the wide receiver or the offensive tackle conversation with the Chargers, I really don't. When we went through the Ficture Franchise episode, I think that we actually gave them Joe Walt wherever they were selecting. I can't remember if the draft ord was solidified at that time or not, but I believe that we gave them Joe Walton. The thought was, man, you get two bookend tackles with with Joe Walton Rayshawn Slater, these two young dudes who are absolute studs. I think that that's sometimes the best way to go about protecting your franchise quarterback, and so that could be the best use of investment. So I definitely would not hate an offensive line investment. You think about Jim Harbaugh and how he built Michigan, it was straight up through the trenches. Michigan over the last two years has been one of the best offensive lines in college football. And when did Michigan really take that next step, Well, it was when those recruiting offensive linemen that he developed finally became juniors and seniors. He was when those guys were all playing together as a unit, and we're one of the best trenches offensive trenches in the FBS, so I don't think that it's impossible there. But you know, when I'm just you know, talking with people having conversations, you know, whether they're plugged in with the Chargers or not, I just felt like I continued to hear wide receiver or corner for that team. So definitely not taking offensive line off the table, but from what I have heard recently, it just felt like corner or wide receiver was the way they were going to go. Now, obviously, like let's let's be real about it. They just hired a head coach, they just hired a general manager, so it's not like you've got these deep rooted connections to where these guys are with the Chargers and you know, you're texting up during the season and they're already getting their scout worked on things like that. And so I fully understand that what I've been hearing could change, but that is what I have been hearing over the last week or so, and there's some really good prospects at those two positions, and that's where I went, Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's really exciting to hear all of that. At five, you went with Rome Odunsea. I believe the last time we spoke on this channel, I think, at least in terms of overall not necessarily a Chargers.
Speaker 2: Fit, you had Molik Neighbors over at Rome Odoonza.
Speaker 3: One has that change and then two I believe you know Argent, but we had Argent dig ups and numbers for us because we make him do everything for us. And one of the things, one of the things that he pulled up was that in terms of EPA per target for justin Herbert's career through different targets, the EPA for per target for the best wide receiver that Herbert has had is Mike Williams at zero point four two seven. The next closest is Keenan Allen. But that's all the way at zero point two seven zero. So did you sort of keep not that in mind? But like, was Mike Williams in mind when you was sort of a Rome Odunza here as a replacement for potentially Mike Williams, Or did something else kind of sway your opinion here?
Speaker 4: No, it wasn't really. I mean, that's a really good note. Urgent's truly one of the best, and so it's no surprise that he pulled a really great stat there. To give you guys some context. But the reason why I ended up going with Rome is, you know, I like my league Neighbors a lot. I have him as wide receiver two. I know some people who have him as wide receiver one, even over Marvin Harrison Junior. I think the combine is going to be very telling of where Neighbors is going to go in this conversation of this top three. If he tests the way that we believe he's going to when it comes to three cone drill, the explosiveness, the forty yard dash, all that kinds of stuff, he'll be right there in the conversation. But I ultimately went with o'doonsay because you know, Dounsay was doing the rounds at Super Bowl media and every person that I talked to who got the chance to interact with him was like, oh my god, stellar dude, Like awesome. And I got that from people who have been around the Washington program as well. And that's not to say that Malak's not I'm not saying any of this. I'm not giving Roam any kind of praise to take anything away from Leak. But when you get that confirmation that everybody loves this guy, when they meet him, you think that that's going to also be the case when you go through interviews, which is very important for these players, especially when the talent is very very even. You look at o'doons, you look at the height, you look at the weight, the bigger profile, and I think that Harbaugh is going to lean a bigger, stronger player as he builds out this team. So with both of these guys being neck and neck in terms of what they can do production wise for your team, I may prioritize more of the movement separation skills that I think Neighbors has in an advantage, But I do believe that Harbaugh is going to gravitate towards that size advantage for Odunsay. So ultimately, that's why I went with Odunza here, And.
Speaker 1: I think for what it's worth, I think Odunsea is going to test better than people think he will, like people whatever, He's super athletic, and anytime that we talk about oduns it's like, well he's another big, slow guy. It's like he's not a slow guys. He's going to be a fast guy. Wrapping this up, though, you had the Chargers taking uh Ennis Rakestraw the cornerback from uh, Missouri, which is an awesome name for a cornerback all time name there. Uh what do you like about mister Rakestraw And how do you see that potential fit with Jesse Minter's defense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll tell you what. He'll come up and hit like he will come up and run defense. And it's a prerequisite for a Michigan defense man. I mean you gotta be able to do it. You look at Will Johnson, you look at Mike, You Sean and m Still. You look at those linebackers. I mean, you do not get on the field if you do not help and run defense. And Ennis Rakeshaw Junior is he feels like he's second behind only Cooper Degene in terms of run defending corners that are going to get drafted in the top fifties. So yeah, he's the reason why I have him falling to the second round. I like a lot of things about him. I like his instincts and off coverage. I like his clicking close ability, turn and run. It's a little bit like kuol Ai McKinstry, like just he doesn't have that rare gear for recovery speed to really get up because I mean that's the thing with Queena Mitchell and Terry and Arnold, You're never gonna have to worry about that. With those guys, like when they're in trail technique, it's just a matter of when the quarterback releases the ball that they are going to kick it into that rare gear and try to cut it off or or get the incomplete the forcing completion with guys like McKinstry and more so with an extrake Shaw junior, if he gets beat a decent amount and he's in trail technique, sometimes those wide receivers can continue to maintain that separation. And you'll love that from a CB one outside corner. So that might be something where you know, when you anticipated a little bit better understanding the spacing, which he does really well, really well. I think he mitigates it very well. You know, he's he's at the appropriate distance off the line of scrimmage at the snap. You know, wide receivers get into him. He's getting hands on these guys, he's bumping them one way or the other. He's dictating things and then he'll bump you and turn and run so he can try to stay as close hip the hip as he possibly can and then, like I said, very willing run defender, knows how to get off blocks, knows how to make tackles at the line of scrimmature in the backfield. So that is something that I think that physicality is getting. You know, his chargers reem is gonna is gonna gravitate towards.
Speaker 2: Love that gonna have to watch him for sure.
Speaker 3: I've got a four day weekend coming up, so I'm just gonna ask the final question.
Speaker 2: Give me some homework. Who's the Day three running back? I should go watch?
Speaker 4: Oh wow, Day three running back. Watch watch Dylan Lobby, the New Hampshire running back from the Senior Bowl. He is somebody who funny enough. I actually this just clicked in my head. Some people compare him to Austin Eckler because of what he can do in the receiving game as a third down back. He had one game this past season where he had three hundred and twenty three receiving yards and it wasn't like massive, like deep chunk play, like they just kept dumping it off to this dude. He kept making a couple people miss and it was just like ten yards, twelve yards, twelve yards, ten yards, and it was just all the way up to over three hundred yards receiving. I know he had a couple of big runs in there, but he is somebody that I would definitely tell you to watch and then I'll give you another one. Rashien Ali, he's the running back from Marshall. He you know, it's tough to stand out as a running back in All Star events because everything that you do is based on contact. He can't really bring people on the ground you're not really hitting. But Ali, known for his home run ability, showed some pretty good patience during the All Star week and so like he was somebody who's waiting for the blocks to set up and then boom, he's putting his foot in the ground. He had a couple of really nice runs at the Senior Bowl. So those are two Day three running backs. I would say to get some eyes on there we go, There we go.
Speaker 1: Things that are definitely starting to ramp up for the draft season for Tyler and I I think I'm at like sixty guys on my big board now, So nice getting all up there. So really excited about that. Excited to listen to yours and Connor's coverage of the combine definitely encourage anybody listening to follow Trevor and Connor and make sure you're reading Trevor's content listening to it. This was fantastic yet again, Trevor, and we appreciate you so much. We will talk to you next month. Again. Man, we hope you have a great time in Indy and help you stay safe, stay healthy, all that good stuff.
Speaker 4: Yep, appreciate it, guys. I'll see you next month.
Speaker 1: All right, We'll talk to you soon, all right, Tyler. Any big takeaway from our conversation with Trevor.
Speaker 3: Oh, absolutely, the idea that it could be wide receiver, a corner in play at five for the Chargers wide receiver not much of a surprise, right. I think most Chargers fans, at least half a Chargers fans have been mocking neighbors or a Duneesa there to the Chargers at five.
Speaker 2: But corner is very interesting. But I understand it.
Speaker 3: The Chargers need a corner, they need several corners at different points in the draft or free agencies, so I would totally understand it. And if it's not at five, it could be at seven, it could be at nine, it could be at eleven wherever. The Chargers could trade back to. So exciting stuff there. I gotta watch more of these corners, man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the cornerback class is really interesting. There's a It does really sound like Terry on Arnold has kind of cemented his status. I mentioned that in the interview. But Dangel, Jeremiah, Dane Brugler, Lancerline, all these guys have Terry on Arnold as CV one. I think Trevor and PFF does as well. So Terry and Arnold has kind of, you know, taken that next step here amongst you know, the draft community.
Speaker 2: If you will.
Speaker 1: I think five would be a little rich for me, given like how I feel about the wide receivers and obviously rock powers. But you know, we talked about trade down scenarios, and I think if you can trade down a few spots and snag the best corner in the draft, you know, that's a that's a positive outcome for the charters. I think as well, if you can recoup some high end draft capital in return.
Speaker 3: Yeah, regardless, I do love the one two punch, and I'll talk he talked about in his mock. You know, the wide receiver in the first round, corner in the second round. I think that's really solid as the unfortunate you know, Jackson Powers, Johnson Dream has seemingly died. I do understand why the good corner in the second round. So yeah, looking forward to it. Maybe it'll be completely wrong by the time we revisit this in three months or so.
Speaker 2: But exciting stuff. Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's funny in February, there's always like a lot of like, oh, like, I think that this team is going to do that, but like a third of the league just hired new head coaches, two thirds of the league have new coordinators. There were six GM hires in this cycle, including the Chargers obvious, So there's there's gonna be a lot more intel that comes out of the combine. That's really where you know, the radio row, it's it's about media connections and it's about you know, interviews and everything like that. The combine everything is focused on the draft, and so I think we'll get some more information there. Hopefully you guys follow Trevor in that regard. But last thing I guess for me before we wrap up today, Daniel Jeremiah did an interview feature on the Chargers website and he was asked about like what makes Joe Ortiz so such.
Speaker 2: A great hire.
Speaker 1: One of the things that Daniel Jeremiah mentioned was his ie for offensive line talent, and that specifically like maybe kind of raise an eyebrow, maybe not necessarily meaning like first round, but maybe Joe trusts his ability to evaluate these guys who are day like back in the day two, day three prospects, and maybe they can steal.
Speaker 2: Some value that way.
Speaker 1: And that kind of tends to fit more of like how the Ravens operated, Like obviously they drafted Tyler Linderbaum in the first round and Ronnie Stanley in the first round, but they it's not like they've been swinging for the offensive line fences in the first round. Traditionally, it's been a lot more of the other positions you take second round, third round, fourth round guys after that. So I have been thinking about that comment from DJ specifically about Joe, and then obviously, you know, having this conversation with Trevor about.
Speaker 2: Corner and wide receiver.
Speaker 1: Not that again, like we won't have any firm takeaways right now, but it is curious that like everybody is like offensive line for Harball, but then some of these other guys are like.
Speaker 2: Hey, like, maybe wait a little bit on the offensive linetop. Yeah, that's the thing.
Speaker 3: You associate Harball with great trench play, and that's true an offensive line play, and the Ravens have a really good offensive line. But you can also trust yourself to take guys later and develop those guys to make really really good offensive linemen, develop them throughout several years to become a starter or maybe even very quickly become a starter.
Speaker 2: And the Chargers.
Speaker 3: It really aligns with what the Chargers have been doing with Jordan McFadden, which Mario Sallier with Brendan himis like they've gone after some of these Day three offensive linemen and developed them. So yeah, ekadu, that approach taking place here too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, either way, it's gonna be a ton of fun. Man, I keep on saying this. But new regime, a guy like Joe Ortiz, as crave as he is, you know, I think there's a number of different possibilities. Whereas previously we probably kind of knew like where Tom Telesco would be heading, you know, like just because we had known his draft styles for eleven years, and everything is different this year. So it's gonna be a ton of fun there. Did you have any other thoughts about maybe a corner wide receiver talk or anything else from our conversation with Trevor.
Speaker 3: Not necessarily, but I do think this corner of class is really fascinating with how things have really changed with McKinstry being the guy and then suddenly you know there's other other guys, and not only is it maybe not mckinenstrey at one, it's maybe not him at two.
Speaker 2: Maybe he's that third guy now.
Speaker 3: So it's a really fascinating discourse surrounding the corners, which could also present a lot of really good value for the Chargers. Whereas I feel like before it felt like you trade down, you're taking mckinstrey. Now it's you could trade down and maybe do it again and still find one of these really really good corner So I think that makes it really intriguing for the Chargers and your tiez and Jim Harbaugh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's a great point because like we we come to the draft process late, and like I come to the draft process and everybody's like, this corner black class isn't very good. There isn't a Sauce Gardner type. It's not very deep and then I'm like, I like, like eight of these guys, Like, this is a good class to me. So it is a really interesting dynamic when you come to the come to the discourse late, as we do every single year. But this is a good corner class and I'm excited to dive into it. I'm excited to see who tests well. You know, if kool Aid mckinstrey can answer those athletic questions, that obviously only strengthens the class overall. So I should be a ton of fun watching that group tests, in particular at the combine the next in the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Fun stuff.
Speaker 3: Man, can't wait to see who who shines who as their Darnaul Washington kind of day, as we mentioned Jordan Dave as Anthony Richardson, just fun stuff.
Speaker 2: These guys are just they're very talented, believe it or not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know that there's a lot of negative feelings about the underwear of the mix or whatever.
Speaker 2: I love watching the combine.
Speaker 1: I love it, Like I remember he didn't necessarily test like amazing, but I remember like watching Chris o' lobby run routes and things like that, and that was like a positive workout for me because he was a guy I was, I felt like higher on than most you know, prospect fatigue was very real for him. But then he went to the combine, had a great combine. So it's a fun thing. I'm a draft nerd. I love watching the combine, seeing these guys kind of cement their status, seeing maybe somebody who's kind of like a seventh round pick right now shoot up draft boards. It's always a fun conversation and I'm looking forward to seeing how it pans out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and heck, even if you don't participate, your name could be Keenan Allen and things turn out okay for you.
Speaker 2: Yep, under percent, numb percent.
Speaker 1: All right, Tyler, Well that's gonna do it for us today. Like I said, appreciate Trevor for joining us this afternoon. Appreciate Eddie Levera and Greg Kim for producing the show. Thanks to the Chargers for having us. As always, hopefully you guys like subscribe comment all that good stuff does really helpe continue to grow the channel and support the show. Being said, we'll see you next week. As always, full time
Speaker 4: Hm