Speaker 1: Hello everyone, and welcome into the first episode of the Fantasy Pros NFL Draft Show.
Speaker 2: I am your host, Thorne Eistrom.
Speaker 1: I will be joined weekly by my colleague Derek Brown, going down all the positions, all of our rankings, all of our thoughts on all these various guys. We're gonna start today with our top ten quarterbacks, which we will get into momentarily. We also want to talk about some draft props, which we will be doing at the top of every episode as well throughout the spring. Tony, you guys, maybe we're some values that we're seeing on the board, different stuff like that. Deebra I'm so excited to get into this show. We've been talking about this for a long time and finally here.
Speaker 3: Oh baby, I'm lit. I mean, this is this feels like Christmas Eve man, like I was so excited about this. I mean, we talked about this. I called you at midnight last night so we could talk about some prospects beforehand. Didn't want to give away too much. That a way we can have some live reactions on the show. But dude, we've been talking about doing a show like this for over a year now. The Powers that be a Fantasy Pros greenlit this and it's it's go time, baby, So look, I'm ready and we're gonna get into this. I think we're gonna have a ton of fun on this show. So thank you everybody for tuning in, subscribing to this, and dude, let's go.
Speaker 2: Let's do this now.
Speaker 1: Deebro and I we do talk about guys as we get through on the tape, just given little thoughts and whatnot, but we have not gone through. Our top tens are given full thoughts to each other on this, so I'm excited to hear what you have to say as well. Let's start though with developments in the prop market, the biggest one of which every single spring is literally just the dropping of them. And we finally have a wider selection that was just dropped recently here on DraftKings. Deebro, the couple I wanted to hit first quarterback selected to start out with Caleb Williams right now minus one thousand prohibitive favorite on that. Let's just start there. You look down the odds on this on the board, are there any initial thoughts that come to you and are there any values that you're seeing down lower on the board. Potential guys that people can bet on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, I think the two guys that stick out the most to me. And not just going with the long shot bet here, but looking at Jayden Daniels over on DraftKings, which of your own DraftKings? Man, you gotta be using the promo code Fantasy pros if you're in there, new customer is gonna no sweat bet up to one thousand dollars if you lose the first bet, you're not gonna lose this one. If you put money on a baby, and that's plus fourteen hundred on Jade Daniels and looking at him, he's got the type of skill set to possibly be the number one guy overall. If it's not Caleb Williams. Looking at that dynamic skill set, that's the guy. And we want to sit here and put some keyshe behind. But I'm gonna toss this right back to you, thor who sticks out here, to you thorn mey.
Speaker 1: Or may not have already made a couple bets here, the one that I liked, and I I had to put some of my soldiers at risk because of this. JJ McCarthy at plus ten thousand, I feel like is it's not going it's not respectful enough to him. In more realities than that, I feel like he would end up at number one. I don't want to get too in depth into my thoughts because we are here in a second on JJ McCarthy, but I to me, this is more of a four man type race as far as those top four quarterbacks go. Certainly then the odds board is depicting JJ McCarthy is number six on here. They have bo Nicks on the odds board for this. B Neex at number five is plus seventy five hundred. I don't see how Bonex goes above JJ McCarty. Michael Pennix is plus four thousand. JJ McCarthy can get for plus ten thousand. I mean, just from an ROI perspective, I feel like that you're getting some decent odds there. So I went with that deep bro that the number two odds. So the odds to be the number two overall pick are kind of interesting too. We've had this narrative not even the spring. I mean this is going back to last summer. Coming out of the last season twenty twenty two, it's been Caleb is number one, Drake may is number two, and then we'll begin the discussion. The odds boards are still reflective of sort of that paradigm. Drake May right now live in the market minus one eighty to be the second overall pick. Daniels at plus one seventy five, you have Marvin Harrison Junior at plus five hundred. Caleb Williams if he were to get upset for the number one pick, is plus seven fifty. Here looking over this board, you know for the number two odds are there are there any values here that you're seeing or any thoughts that come to mind for you?
Speaker 3: I mean I think like I just want to hammer on the connections here and the quarterback archetypes here, and the two guys that stick out to me for this are again going back to the Jayden and Daniels well plus one seventy five and Caleb Williams at plus seven fifty. Now, all you have to do is tell yourself a little story and say, okay, Cliff Kingsbury being in Washington if they don't go with Drake May and they go for more of a mobile quarterback, or we want to talk about the USC connection and Cliff spurning other teams, and then just arriving in Washington. Maybe we're connecting easy dots here, but at plus money on both of these guys, especially the odds for Caleb. If we do get the upset, say Kago goes with Drake may or they they go off the board with another pick, or some team trades back, however that falls out. I love the odds on Caleb here and making the cliff connection, as well as Jane Daniels and the mobility. I mean, we saw him hand pick Kyler Murray when he was the head coach in Arizona. It's not hard to see either one of those things come to fruition.
Speaker 1: Well, let me put it this way, just by a straight percentage, Let's say Caleb Williams on the board at number two and Washington makes that selection. What by a percent what percent odds do you think that Washington would pick Caleb Williams?
Speaker 3: Oh, good lord, minus two fifty Yeah, ninety nine point nine nine percent.
Speaker 1: There all it takes. All it takes is for Caleb Williams to get upset. Is the first pack and he's gonna be the second pick. So I mean, just by definition, I feel like getting the seven and a half to one might might be a decent bet there as well, so interesting in the problem market. We will keep our eyes on this as we go in the spring. Deebro and I are our big time NFL combined prop betters with the forty, so those will be dropping soon. We'll be talking about that in episodes coming up. And then of course the slot props when they drop all of them, we will be diving deep into that as we get further along here in the spring. But Deebra, we have so many quarterbacks to talk about, and in a very compelling quarterback.
Speaker 2: Class, so we best get into it.
Speaker 1: The way that we thought we would structure this show is as we go through on the positions, to present these in the order that they are as a consensus, and at the time that we do the episode, we're using the NFL Mock Draft database dot com consensus rankings just from the industry, and that's how we'll present these guys, give our take, and then give where we would rank them or where we do rank them right now in our top ten. So we only got time for the top eight, Deebro, so let's start at number eight on that board, which is Michael Pratt. Give us your thoughts on Michael Pratt and then where you have him in your top ten?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Michael Pratt. Look, I mean my comp is just going to tell you all you need to know about Michael Pratt. I mean, right now, I've got him comp to Matt Castle. I think he's a pure pocket passer. I know that he had some running and some times with mobility. As far as at Tulane, I don't see that translating to the NFL. He's got an easy delivery, he throws an accurate ball. I look at him as more of a guy that looking at the NFL, probably round five type of guy as far as draft capital at least we're projecting right now, and is a player who's had moments of flash and he's played well under pressure, but overall there's no just dynamic trump card to Michael Pratt's skill set. I think he's pretty good at all the different things. He's pretty good at ball placement. You don't see a lot of wow throws on his resume. So again, a guy that I think is probably going to garner a decent career in the NFL as a backup, could get a cup of coffee or at least a run at a starting job at some point if injury were to arise. But again, not a guy that I'm going to project higher than on five in the NFL draft. And he's my QB eight, so I'm right in line with consensus as am I.
Speaker 1: He is also my QB eight, and I think he set that up well. Like he's solid in a whole bunch of different areas. He's not a leader in any right. Like the build is is. You know, he's got a solid build. He has, you know, decent athleticism for his size, decent arm, but none of it jumps out. And the rushing utility is probably not gonna play at the NFL level, especially because he's got some durability concerns. A guy that was banged up throughout college, has concussion issues going back a while now, had a shoulder thing. I'm wondering how his body holds up if he were to be pressing into action a longer term in the NFL. For me, Michael Prapp projects as a solid backup in the NFL. I think that's what you're getting. I think you're getting a guy that could potentially run your offense in a break glass in case of emergency type thing, not embarrass himself. He obviously knew all the concepts and the plays at Tulane, you know, was one of the leading guys in terms of turning their program around, around whatever, but not a singular guy that's going to elevate dudes around him, certainly not in the NFL. So that's why I had him down at number eight. A part of it was the durability thing. Just without that, I might have put him a spot or too higher. But that's where I ended up on him. Moving to the next guy de bro on the consensus board, QB seven is Spencer Rallery or South Carolina course formerly of Oklahoma.
Speaker 2: He had to hit the road.
Speaker 1: Because Caleb Williams, the guy we're gonna be talking about in a second. He got bench for Caleb Williams Lincoln Rally and then obviously those who were on their way out to USC But this USC of Spencer Raller at South Carolina, what did you think of his play?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm gonna leave this off right now. He so with consensus on mock draft database, he's QB seven. He is my QB six, So he has hopped somebody in the process, especially coming on amobile and looking at Spencer Rattler, it's his play to play. Consistency has to improve. There are moments on his tape where you're like, oh, there's some wild throws, there's some definite like he has all the parts of pieces to be an NFL starting caliber quarterback. He can do some things with it with his legs, he's got good pocket mobility. The problem with Spencer is that you'll have moments where you're just like, literally, what are you doing? Like why did you make that decision? Why did you throw into double coverage? Why did why? Oh, why did you just make that read? Out of everything you could have done with that play? And so really that's where the upside contingent goes with Spencer because you see the good moments with that. You see where there are wow plays on his tape, whether that's him fitting a ball in a tight window, throwing on the run, creating a play where there is none, and some of that moxie that like, if you're gonna get that type of game changer type of upside out of a prospect, we want to see some of those things. But the downside for Spencer Rattler is definitely there in the play to play consistency going through reads and things like that, Like because he wasn't tasked with full field reads on every single snap a lot of half field reads, he hang on to his first option. Then he kind of rushed the progression. So for him to actualize the ceiling, the play to play consistency has to improve because we know the raw intangibles are there, Like you don't see a guy break out early in his collegiate career to the extent that Rattler did and he just to be a shmo. So I believe in the kid's talent. If anybody considering the week that we saw a mobile for, I think Spencer Ratler could be one of those guys as a riser in the process because we were both really enamored with how he interviewed, his overall just demeanor as a guy that if you looked at him or you've heard different things in the process or you will in the weeks to come where it's like, Okay, guy had some some moments were on interviews on TV shows things like that where it was like, okay, he's immature, But again, you and I have talked about this off air. It's like, how the hell would either one of us been if you'd interviewed us at seventeen or eighteen year old, like as a seventeen or eighteen year old being one of the top quarterback prospects in the nation. Like, some of that is immaturity, But what we saw on Mobile is that he's he's grown up. Life has taught him some left lessons and he is matured in this entire process.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one thousand percent.
Speaker 1: He did not quit himself well on the QB one show coming out of high school. It's clear that he has matured light years since then. And I think you know, there was a reckoning with him, a humbling when he was bench for Caleb Williams and then had to transfer went to South Carolina, different stuff like that, And you see that manifest like he was one of the nicest dudes that we met down there in Willbile, very generous and everything like that, thoughtful, different stuff like that. On the field, I totally agree with you. He's sort of like Bill Simmons used to have this concept for basketball of the irrational confidence guy, and Rattler sometime plays with the rational confidence and when things are going well, he plays and that's when you see that ceiling upside that we're talking about of potential NFL starter because he has the tools as far as from in the pocket, certainly the arm, love the gumptionin love the field vision, love the courage. I mean he'll test, absolutely, he'll test good defenses too. He doesn't care like he trusts his eyes. He trusts what he's seeing, different stuff like that. When it's not going as well, that's where you see some things devolve.
Speaker 2: I like that his on field game is matured as well.
Speaker 1: When he started off at Oklahoma, he liked to do the high wire act sort of a thing and scramble around in the pocket, invite in the pressure, different stuff like that. He had a totally different kind of a game his first year at Sell Carolina, and I would forward that Sell Carolina was a bad fit for him in terms of having a really poor offensive line in front of him both those years. The first year he learned some hard lessons because the sort of that high wire act that he was doing at all Olahoma when he was starting, he couldn't do it at South Carolina because you would have immediate pressure and the whole thing would get blown up whatever. So he had to modulate his game. This year there was that was a lot better. The coaching staff also helped him out a bit with that. I mean, Sell Carolina's offensive line marginally improved, but they were still one hundred and seventh PFF pass grade past block grade this year. But the coaching staff also helped him with more of the quick hitting concepts, different stuff like that, trying to keep the pass rush a little bit at bait, different stuff like that, and he improved leaps and bounds year over year. Sell Carolina year one and then Sell Carolina year two. Definitely think he's draftable. I definitely think that there's that upside of potentially, if the light fully clicks for him, you might have a average to slightly below average starter in the NFL. But I do think either way, Spencer Ratler is hanging around for a while as a backup. The pocket passing thing is going to translate. I have Spencer Rattler at QB seven. Now very interested to see who you have bumped Rattler over.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll move on to the.
Speaker 1: Next guy in the consensus rankings, which is Michael Pennix sitting at number six, the Washington quarterback who for a couple of weeks was Draft Twitters, Darlang, where have you come out on Michael Pennick since you've watched his tape now obviously we got up close exposure to him in mobile. Do you agree with consensus? Are you lower you higher? Where you out on him?
Speaker 3: I've got him at QB five right now, And really this comes down to he's at the top of a massive tier break, and you know, everybody knows the top four guys in this class and I don't think Penix's is in that class. And really where penix comes in at being the QB five for me and has said, like there's a massive tier break, like you do see the pluses and Penix's game in that like and my comp just kind of lays it out here. I think he's a poor man, Philip rivers, You're not gonna get anything as far as rushing utility. He's not gonna do a lot of things like outside of structure. He's a guy that's gonna sit in the pocket. You need to have a good offensive line in front of him for him to really play his best. But the other parts about that is the arm talent is there. But while I think that he does have a strong arm, and I'm not taking anything away from he's a max effort thrower, Like he throws the ball like a freaking shot put. And that's where I come down like the similarities to Philip Rivers in the mechanics of his wind up and delivery, and where I think Pennick succeeds is down the field in the pocket. Now, if you versus pressure, it could be an adventure for him as well as if you're talking about just progression through the play. We talked about this in Mobile and nothing's changed this. If anything, Mobile has showed this a little bit more because of Washington system, a lot of like three step drops, a lot of getting the ball out or it was basically either get the ball out asked, or we're taking shots down the field. Baby, we're going full yolow. That in between stuff where we were asking him to read the field or five step drop, and you're really asking to operate more in a pro style offense. That's where I see the late trigger coming from Michael Pennix. He's more of a see it, throw it guy. He's not a guy that's hitting guys at the top of their stem before they come out of their breaks and hitting them in step. It's really you know, wide receiver, just say, like a wide receiver runs a comeback route. He gets to the top of stem, he comes back, he takes about two or three steps. Pennis goes, oh, he's open, pew and shoots the ball over that way. He's not a guy where you're gonna see him have the anticipatory throws. Does he do it from time to time? Yes? Is that a consistency in his game? And one of the worries for me, And we've seen guys like transition from see it throw it guys to more anticipatory throwers. The guy right off the top of my head, and I'm not comparing the two, but to make that type of transition was Dak Prescott. Can Pennix do that? Sure, it's possible. Like we're not telling anybody those these kids can't grow and mature continuing at the NFL level in their games. But we're talking about where they are as a prospect right now, looking at the range of outcomes and the skills that they currently possess and what they need to work on. And that's really Pennock's game in a nutshell for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, on thousand percent in some context. We had to bake in here. He started his career in Indiana, spent four years there, had a season ending injury in every single one of them.
Speaker 2: Two of them were knee injuries.
Speaker 1: The medicals are going to be super important in Michael Pennick's evaluation. Deebro and I are not doctors, and we did not stay in a holiday and express last night, so we can't begin to speak to that. But you see the lack of mobility. I don't know if that came from the knee. You know, in Indiana he was slightly more mobile, but he was never like super duper good with that whatever. And it's not just you know, not waiting outside the pack or not winning breaking containment. He doesn't really do stuff like that. He doesn't throw on the run well. In fact, when he loses his platform at all, that's where his game starts to create her as a thrower, Michael Pennix. When he has that platform under him, he doesn't have to move. That's when he can start cooking and he can become the rhythm thrower and different stuff like that. When things start to devolve, as you mentioned, the pressure thing, you can push him off his spot. That's where we can start doing stuff because he has a really hard time just quickly, you know, getting to another read, getting the ball out, and he's not going to beat anyone with his legs, so he has he has a difficulty, almost to the point of not being able to do it, of buying second chances back there in the pocket. He needs to do a better job of like quickly identifying the tertiary, the third you know, whatever option getting the ball up, because that's that's the only way, you know, his secondary options whatever.
Speaker 2: When there's that quick pressure to.
Speaker 3: Your's point on that, Yeah, he locks on his first read eight And that's something I wanted to bring up, like when we're going back and forth about Pinnicks, is you see him lock onto his first read and he there's plays where he will not come off of it. He'll just like fire it and force it in there. And you're talking about fifty to fifty balls, and it's like, there's something to be said for that type of aggression, but it's also I think it's more of a fundamental result of that he doesn't go through progression as well, because the other part that and I'm sure you were about to just get to this stoor. Is that asking Michael Pennix to read the middle of the field is also an adventure. There's times where he will not throw to the middle of the field until like if a wide receiver is running a crosser, that wide receiver literally has to cross his face before he's like, oh, look at that guy bow and he throws it that way, but you won't see him, see the guy identify him earlier in the progression and hit him on the run. So we're talking about shortcomings of his game. And the other thing I'll bring up here, man, is that with the idea of him being a sea it throw at guy, he limits yack opportunities for his wide receivers. He doesn't throw guys in stride. So you're talking about West Coast systems. I mean, you know, the low hanging fruitis is the forty nine ers. But a system like that really could hurt him where it's a lot of station to station things, and he he is the limiting factor with how he's playing quarterback in the act opportunities that he's allowing his wide receivers and skill players to have.
Speaker 2: Totally agree with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and a guy that played with three NFL receivers at Washington, guys who made some really good plays for him. Now, I like Penix's arm. I agree with you about the the wonky motion. He can get it all quick, I will say, despite the fact that you know, like when the guy on Twitter did the thing where he flipped the screen so then it was Michael Pennix as a right hander, and it just looks so weird when he throws them all whatever. But he does get the ball quickly, does not take many sacks at all, and doesn't admirably doesn't put the ball up for grabs. I would say as well, I like that stuff. But you know, when you're thinking about teams where he's a fit for, it's way more limited than with some of these other guys because you can't put Michael Pennocks in an offense where it asked the quarterback to get out onto the perimeter bootleg throw.
Speaker 2: On the run. You can't do that.
Speaker 1: It has to be the pure pocket passing stuff. And by the way, he has to have a good offensive line in front of him and hopefully a couple of receivers that can get the separation. Like, I totally agree with your take about the sea, throw a guy whatever. The anticipatory thing is hopefully something that he'll develop, But he was in college for six years and does not have it yet, so you're sort of hoping and praying as far as that goes. I had Pennix, I also have him five in mind, so you and I have him in the same spot in our rankings. Which brings us to mister bo Nix, who, in the consensus, is QB five an extremely polarizing prospect. He came into this process bo Nicks did a lot of people had him QB four on their list. You still see a lot of mock drafts out there where they have Bonicks in the middle of the first round.
Speaker 2: That confuses me, frankly, But how do you see it.
Speaker 3: I'll leave this off right now, and maybe this is a hot take. I don't really care. Bnix is my QB seven. I've got him buried in my ranks, so he's at the bottom of tier four for me. I've got him below Michael Pennix, I got him blow. Spencer Rattler and I talked about this on mobile. I'm gonna say it again here. I think bo Mix should not be a He's not a first round quarterback talent. Let's get that out of the way. He's not.
Speaker 2: Is he a second?
Speaker 3: I don't think he's a second. I think he's a third. I think he's a third round quarterback talent. Now do we see this every single year? Or one of these quarterbacks are multiple quarterbacks just because they are quarterbacks and in really the thirst for the position, they get pushed up the board. And a lot of times it's false, you know, I mean, come on, let's just be kind of Rewlinant. We can all talk about like, Okay, Malik will Is falling on the board and other quarterbacks Sam Howe falling on the board in that quarterback class. Pittsburgh Steelers, you're happy with your first round selection and Kenny Pickett, who a guy that should never have gone in the first round? You happy about that? Guessing probably not, because you're probably gonna see another quarterback under under center for Pittsburgh this year. So Nicks is just the newest iteration of that. He's the guy that's gonna get pushed up the up the board and he shouldn't be. Man, I'm old enough to remember, and people want to talk about, Oh well, there's so much different version of Bo Knicks from Auburn to Oregon, Like that's he's a totally different player. No he's not. He's not a totally different player. He played a system. It was all system, and we want to talk about these game manager guys and things like that. It's like bow Knicks was operating in a system in Oregon where it was literally three step drop, get the ball out first raad screens, first raid screens. It was tailored to get the ball out of his freaking hands. And everybody wants to talk about, well, he's first in all these completion rate metrics, and he's he's really top of the board and pressure rates or a pressure you can't be pressured if you're getting rid of the freaking ball as fast as you possibly can, like bow Knicks. Last year, amongst this quarterback class, all FBS quarterbacks with one hundred and fifty or more dropbacks, Knicks has the fourth lowest a dot, which is a screaming red flag. He has the ninth lowest time to throw, the ninth highest screen rate in FBS, and he led all of FBS in screen passing yards. If all of that doesn't say, Okay, this guy is not who you think he is. And a lot of this is system and all these puffed up numbers that people talk about on their podcast or talk about as far as like making the case for bow Nicks, We need to give context to those numbers because all of those numbers are false window dressing.
Speaker 1: One thousand percent. Yeah, you brought up the A dot in the time to throw. You know, I'll bring up a different guy that we're not going to get to because he's not in either of our top tens. Maybe just outside of it. Austin Reid, a Western Kentucky. Everyone knows that Western Kentucky has an air raid offense that is super duper gimmicky, and so they're going to bring that up immediately when they talk about Austin. Is a fair point. But Austin Reid, he had an eight point one A dot. Bonnicks had a six point eight and like you mentioned, the six point eight is bottom of the FBS, I mean way down there. Uh, the time to throw thing Austin two point four to three seconds per snap. Bonix was two point four to four on average, the same thing. It's a gimmicky deal. Bonnicks. You know another one like you look at big time throws. You know another one where you can get this Bonnicks four point one big time throw percent. I mean, Michael Pennicks seven point three, Drake May seven point five, Daniels was eight point four this past year, Caleb Williams six point two.
Speaker 2: I mean, I could go on and on and on.
Speaker 3: Context with that thor that he's been a throw rate in this class ranks seventy eight. So we want to talk about all the numbers for bo Knicks. Let's talk about that one. How do we interject that into the conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and a guy that we're gonna talk about here in a second, Jayde and Daniels, so lash In twenty twenty two, Jaydeen Daniels, he had a two point nine big time throw rate. I don't want to get too much into his evap, but before we get to him here in like ten minutes, but he had a two point nine coming into this season. You're and Jane Daniels had done things to mitigate putting the ball up for grabs, different like that. That's what he was doing well twenty twenty two. But you wanted to see him could he get more of the aggression into his game? Stuff like that or else, I'm not going to trust him at this next level. Dane Daniels win from two point nine his big time throw ray to the eight.
Speaker 2: Point four whatever.
Speaker 1: Bonnicks went from three point seven and twenty twenty two to four point one. It's just the same gimmicky stuff. You put the ball on the perimeter to Troy Franklin and he's breaking tackles.
Speaker 2: You do the screen, the Bucky Irving.
Speaker 1: It's just all that sort of quick hitting concepts with really really good supporting talent around him. I credit Bonix from going from I'm sorry but a train wreck at Auburn to becoming what he did at Oregon where they were competing. He went to the Heisman ceremony, everything like that. He ran their system very well. But here is the biggest takeaway point. If you forget everything else that we just said about Bonnicks, you can't run the system and be viable that they did at Oregon in the NFL. You can't just throw perimeter screens a whole bunch. We're gonna spread the field. He's gonna get this snap, he's immediately going to turn to the left to a funnel screen. Then we'll get the defense over that way. Now we're gonna do it to the right. Now we're gonna do a screen up the middle. But now we're gonna do a slant to keep him off the t. You can't build an offense off that bs and then yak yardage. It's not going to translate.
Speaker 2: And you know that.
Speaker 1: There's an idea forwarded by people that like bon Necks of well, what happens when you put him in an offense where he gets a test down field. I'll tell you what happens because I've seen it. It's the Bonecks at Auburn. He's stunk at that.
Speaker 2: He was bent.
Speaker 1: And there's a two fold problem with that. Even the idea of making the logical leap of well, now he could that the two problems. Number one, his arm is pretty solid intermedia, I think you would agree with this. Dro He knows how to spin it, the vlo and different stuff like that. When he goes downfield though it is not a howitzer in a bazooka, he has to throw all of his body weight into it, and you see balls that will flutter up there. You'll see errant balls, balls that drift to the sideline, different stuff like he has a hard time correc wing the balls downfield because he's trying to get all that bomf into it to get it down there. I think problematic things come up with regards to that. The other one is just merely the fact of having Bonex sit back there in the pocket, be allowed to survey his options and trust him not to make a mistake, whether it's an air and throw, whether it's getting flustered into something different, stuff like that. I don't trust his pocket presence when he has to hang back there. And that was the biggest thing that Oregon's offensive system addressed for Bonecks. It wasn't Bonux's improvement that got him here, it's the fact that they never let him sit back there. It was just, you know, all that quick hitting concepts like we talked about, and when he did get to throw down the field, that's when the defense is already concerned about the running attack of a Buck Yervin Jordan James, and then all that quick hitting stuffed all the really good receivers they had. They had multiple tight ends that could play as well. Then you know, occasionally they would give him that shot. But like in an offense where it calls for it consistently, see consistently, and you want to attack all three levels. I don't trust him with that stuff. So that's that's where we fall on Bonix. I have Bonicks at QB six. Debro you have him at at QB seven, So we're a little bit lower than the consensus which has them at five. We're about to get into the fun stuff, the top four quarterbacks, but before we do, I want to bring up Reality Sports Online for you guys. By now, most of you have probably heard of Reality Sports Online. It's the most powerful fantasy sports platform where owners get to build and manage their fantasy team like a real NFL general manager. But the question is if you tried it, It's time to go see what all the buzz in the dynasty community is about. You have free agency, you have multi year contracts, you have a rookie draft. You have multi team trades. That would be awesome in the NFL d BROF we have multi team trades. That's something we could bring in. Franchise takes, contract extensions, first round rookie options, automated contract and salary cap functionality, and much much more. Think it sounds complicated, I think it sounds fun. But it's not. The best thing about Reality Sports Online Front office is that it doesn't take any more time than a standard league. It just requires more strategy. Think you're among the fantasy elite, Well, this is the platform to test your metal.
Speaker 2: Still not sure? You can test out.
Speaker 1: Your general manager skills for free in a mock free agency auction. If you like what you see, use the promo code Fantasy Pros to receive a ten percent discount on your team or your league today. That's promo code Fantasy Pros to receive a ten percent discount on your team or league today. Fantasy just got real at Reality Sports online dot com. Debro Let's talk about the top four quarterbacks in this class. This is where it gets super interesting. The entire rest of the draft will play out based on the decisions that teams make with these four quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: It's like the butterfly effect thing. Whatever.
Speaker 1: We'll start with the number four quarterback in the consensus rankings. Michigan's JJ McCarthy, a guy who seems to in the past week have seen a bit of a stock surge as some people are getting into his film a little bit more banging the drum. I've been banging the drum for JJ, as you know. But de bro, I don't know if everyone has heard all your JJ McCarthy takes. I know you put out a tweet or two about him. Tell the people about JJ McCarthy and what you think about him.
Speaker 3: Dude, he's let's start this off the right way. Let's give him proper respect. JJ McCarthy is my QB two in this class, so he is QB four in consensus, I have him QB two and for everybody, let's let's again, let's start this off the right way. If you're going to come at me about any JJ McCarthy type of conversation, and you're starting that conversation with counting stats, go ahead, see the door. You could see the door. Go ahead, see the door. Come back, come back whenever you've got a better evaluation process, Because if that's where we're starting the conversation at, I've got questions about how you're evaluating quarterbacks, just off the jump, because look at JJ McCarthy's numberstore last year amongst all FBS quarterbacks with at least one hundred and fifty dropbacks, this man was tenth and pf passing great fourth and adjusted completion rate, eleventh yards per attempt twenty sixth and big time throw rate. He was also third and deep ball adjusted completion rate and fourth against pressure as far as completion rates go. And what we see in McCarthy is not only is he smart with the football, he is a playmaker from the pocket. He's adapted buying time with his legs. He is going. He is willing to go off script if needed. He'll move around in the pocket, keep his eyes downfield, and snap off a rocket. This guy has got a cannon for an arm. He throws a ton of stuff online. His entire film is littered with dots. And if you want to talk about like the box scorer versus the reality of how good he played quarterback, just I will charge you go watch the game versus Nebraska, That game itself in twenty twenty three. That game itself, He's not gonna wow you with the box score numbers. But that game we saw JJ McCarthy fit in tight window throw in between multiple defenders. I think it was a touchdown Roman Wilson. That was beautiful. There was also multiple times where he was outside the pocket, changing arm angles, throwing around defenders and deal in showing the parts of his evaluation that people do not give him credit for. So I just I think that we are mischaracterizing who JJ McCarthy is based off accounting stats, my comp, your comp because this Yeah, no, let's marry this a little bit. You tell me your thoughts about JJ McCarthy, and then we'll get into the comp that both of us arrived again, we talk about Midnight Conversation Store. Both of us arrived at this comp for rich. I can't say it. I can't say it.
Speaker 2: Just gave it away.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna set it up good, so good. So over the weekend I was on I went to a live show and went up on stage, and you know, I'm in Minnesota, so and people have seen my JJ McCarthy take by this point. So some of the vikings fans are getting excited whatnot. And I was asked that day, who is your comp for JJ McCarthy, And I kept hedging and hedging more more, saying, you know, this is a guy who's been calmed to I don't like that comp for that reason. Here's another comp that's out there. I don't like it for that reason. And they kept pushing me, give us your comp, give us your comp And I didn't want to say, cause he's a super difficult guy to comp for a reason that I'll talk about here in a second. But they were pushing me and pushing me, and finally I just said, rich Gannon at his apex. Yes, rich Gannon at his apex. However, rich Gannon, it took him years to get his shot. He was way further behind on the developmental line of continuum. So it's not perfect in terms of that, but in terms of the play style, that's like, think about when rich Gannon was awesome. That's what you're getting. If JJ McCarthy hits his ceiling similar body type. You have a guy in deebro We agreed on this, a guy that we think would run in the high four fives if he does end up testing and the over the summer. I think the the scouting service the NFL has they put a four to six on him. But we've seen we've we've seen some reports that he was running faster in their facility, stuff like that reports season just from his tape. I would be surprised if he is not in the four fives. He is super fast. I put out a tweet on Twitter today. I you know, like every day you see something with his film where you're like, that's really cool. True freshman season he gets in. He's running out of the pistol with Blake Korum behind him, and they they ran this play against Iowa in the Big Ten title game, but they got this big hole and so Korum is now up the field. He hands it off to Korum. JJ McCarthy runs from behind this play and zooms past Blake Korum like forty five yardiel so he could make a blocket like the fifteen yard line of two guys where McCarthy gets it. So he runs around Korum. He's faster than Blake Korum for sure gets around Korum. And then there was two dudes who were descended on him around the sideline and McCarthy basically acted like a human shield. And so then you know Korum is able to get in the athleticism. Is there one thing, deebre I think you didn't go quite far enough, and so I have to about his game and this is this gets into the rich Gannon thing. I think JJ McCarthy is a potential prodigy of an off script, off platform out of the pocket throwing on the run quarterback prospect. Yes, you don't see those skills that you see on JJ McCarthy's tape in those areas with other dudes. It's truly special. It's not just the athleticism, it's not just the mobility. It's not just the vision and the sense to know when is the appropriate time to break containment, get out on the perimeter, different stuff like that. It's also I saw former Michigan player had brought in. This is a great point. JJ McCarthy always, even when he's on the move, even when he's running fairly fast, you know, to get around a free rush or whatever it is, he always keeps that upper body cock to throw and his eyes downfield. So he's always like this gun that's ready to fire, even when you have to account.
Speaker 2: For his legs. And this is where he gets really dangerous.
Speaker 1: When you start thinking about his projector to the NFL, you start getting really excited because you'll see on tape he all of a sudden he's outside of the pocket and that linebacker that's out there, you know he's thinking like, oh man, I gotta crash down or else. This dude who runs a four or five or maybe even low four fives or wherever it is there he's gonna break containment. I've seen this on our film study, and he's gonna be on the open field. He's gonna take fifteen yards real quick, and then he'll get out of bonds or elslide whatever, he'll steal that. If I don't crash down on him, then he comes down all of a sudden. Now you have more spacing, and McCarthy throws these friggin frozen ropes.
Speaker 2: I've seen people.
Speaker 1: On Twitter that were nitpicking his arms strength and even worse, trying to suggest that he does not have a strong arm. And I think that comes one from what you're talking about, the box score scouting, and also they just haven't haven't seen him whatever, and the fact that when you did see Michigan, they weren't taking these egregious shots downfield a bunch, mostly because they were really good, in part because of JJ McCarthy. They would get leads, they wouldn't have to take these crazy chances.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 2: You can't knock that dude's arm.
Speaker 1: You don't see guy like you'll see JJ McCarthy do the thing where he's running to the right whatever, he's surveying his options, all of his momentum body weight going to the one side and all of a sudden, all the way downfield, thirty yards downfield, but to the left side, on the outside of the left hashes. He'll see someone down there emerge open whatever, and he will throw it across his body on a friggin line frozen rope, all the way across the field against his body weight. You don't see guys that even notice that that guy that they could throw Tom certainly they wouldn't have the gumption for it, nor the arm. You don't make that throw or throws left that again, you mentioned it littered on his film. Without having a really really snappy arm. He has no problems with the arm strength thing. He can make every single throw. And that special sauce of JJ McCarthy's to find the answer to the question in the moment when everything is breaking down, sort of the opposite thing that we were talking about Penix, that we were nitpicking him about.
Speaker 2: With McCarthy, that is his special sauce.
Speaker 1: He is going to figure it out and he's not going to put the ball in harm's way and deep bro the last point I'll do about this so I don't just take an hour talking about JJ McCarthy. You mentioned people, they'll bring up his counting stats and stuff like that to disparage him. It's not that you can't talk about statistics when you're discussing JJ McCarthy. It's that they're discussing the wrong ones, the ones that don't matter that you know where it's based on scheme, it's based on gamescript whatever. You just look at the other stats, the stats that matter, and all of a sudden, JJ McCarthy starts shining, including above some of these guys who everyone says are the top three guys. De bro there, let me ask you a trivia question. There's only one quarterback in this entire class who is above the seventieth percentile in standard drop back percentile, ad or be on the sticks percentile, avoids negative play percentile, under pressure percentile, outside the pocket percentile, third and fourth down percentile, and positive positively grated thrill percentile. That's seven different categories. Name that quarterback who is seventy percent or above in each.
Speaker 2: One of them.
Speaker 3: Well, Alex, I think that'll be JJ McCarthy.
Speaker 1: Not only is it JJ McCarthy, Just for context, there's not another quarterback in this.
Speaker 2: Class, who's even fifty fifth or above?
Speaker 1: And all seven McCarthy seventy second or seventy second is his worse percentile on those You're just not looking at the correct stet.
Speaker 3: I don't disagree with any of that. Just to put the final bow on our JJ McCarthy love letter, just yes, if you google rich Gannon four five, eight forty times at the combine, we were already talked, right, JJ McCarthy's probably gonna run in the mid four fives. All these other comps out there that I've heard so far, Kirk Cousins, some other ones floating out there, they give exactly. They do not give a no better throw around the run to nod to how athletic he.
Speaker 1: Is, thousand percent super duper underrated athletes, super underrated in a whole bunch of different areas. I think as more people get into the tape, you're gonna see JJ McCarthy rise, when really this is the dude he is. It's just people haven't gotten into the tape yet. So Debro has QB two, I have McCarthy QB three. Moving on, Deebro to the consensus QB three on the consensus board, LS used Jade and Daniels, a guy who earlier in his career handpicked by a different NFL head coach to run his offense. HERM Edwards back at Arizona State when Herm brought Jayden Daniels in and played him right away. He was this tall string bean who was super athletic, how to solid arm, but was as raw as could possibly be. But Herm Edwards was like, I believe in this guy, and YadA YadA, and they sort of went through the growing pains for a couple of years. Then obviously the stuff that happened with Herm there was some scandal there and everyone got fired and different stuff like that, and Jayden Daniels ends up at LSU when right after they had hired Brian Kelly, LSU was talking and by the way, at the same time to Lincoln Riley, who I mentioned before different reality sliding doors. You might have seen Lincoln Riley and Caleb Williams at LSU. You might have seen Jayden Daniels go somewhere else. It would have been interesting to see if Jaden Daniels his game had skyrocketed up in the past few years.
Speaker 2: If he gone somewhere else, But it did.
Speaker 1: He found himself with Brian Kelly, and the first year twenty twenty two, he saw a.
Speaker 2: Big jump up in his play.
Speaker 1: This past season, though, he went nuclear deep, bro tell us what you like about Jade Daniels.
Speaker 3: All right, so I'm gonna preface this before I people get insane about what I'm about to say.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 3: You talked about these top four quarterbacks of this class and how you can approach them and how people are going to rank them. I look at these four guys are in a tier by themselves. I do not look at them as having that far of differentiating skill sets or upside to where this one guy is just head and.
Speaker 1: Shoulders, different different skill sets, but qualitatively very close.
Speaker 3: Right, That's exactly right. I look at any one of these guys like, if you're asking who are my tier one quarterbacks right now, I could drill it down to my top two guys. But really, at the broader scope of this, all four of these quarterbacks that are at the top of this class and everybody knows that, are in one tier by themselves. So just to mention that here, and we're going to talk about everybody else's QB one a little bit later. In this show. But I'm going to tell you right now, Jade and Daniels is my QB one of this class. I freaking love Jane Daniels. His is littered with anticipatory throws, easy velocity, flick of the wrist forty five fifty yards down the field. And we're not even talking about his skill set as a rusher. Now, there are certain parts of his game like do I want him out there in the middle of the field taking off and absorbing these massive hits. No, he needs to protect himself better as a rusher duck outside of bounds. You know, if you're gonna go over the middle of the field, slide, please slide because the build and his slider frame. And now, can he gain five to ten pounds at the NFL level in NFL strength program, Yes, I think that's probably gonna happen. But if you're looking at the totality of his skill set, his quarterback play is refreshing man out of all of these guys, when we could bucket these guys. Whether you want to talk about him, we're going to talk about him later. Joe Milton, Spencer Rattler, Bo Nix, Michael pennox A lot of these guys that are first read, quick passing, first read screens, all that type of stuff. Jane Daniels consistent operated in a pro style offense where there are po elements things like that. Sure, but he went through progressions, does it extremely well, and you're seeing there are a ton of reps on film where he's got quiet feet in the pocket. He's getting to his third read consistently. He managed to get to his next read per PFF on fourteen point eight percent of his dropbacks. This is not a quarterback we're gonna talk about it that gets tunnel vision and locked onto his first read, which, again, you talk about panics, you talk about nicks, you can bring up those things. These are the quarterbacks in this class. You can bring that up. You cannot bring that up in the same sentence as Jade Daniels. So we've already talked about the ability with his legs, we talked about the ability with his arm, and he is a truly anticipatory passer. This guy is hitting wide receivers before they cut loose out of the brakes, before the top of their stem. He is the guy that if you're in a timing based offense, you're gonna love Jane Daniels because he's gonna fit into that type of offense. And I want to mention in this last before to kick this to youth or Jane Daniels is a guy that doesn't even need to use his legs to be a first round talent. Right now in this class, you want to talk about just his ability for the pocket. Who he can he could consistently win from the pocket on every single snap. He is a pocket quarterback that also happens to have Sonic the hedgehog type of legs. So does he need that type of rushing utility to be like, oh my lord, look at Jaden Daniels. No, he can win from the pocket. He's profisient from the pocket. He can make every freaking throw that you need, and he is a down field, go ball, deep ball assassin.
Speaker 2: One percent.
Speaker 1: You and I now have the same comp on Jane Daniels, just like we did Aaron McCarthy, except in this case it was because you gave me a comp and I was like, that's perfect, and I hadn't seen that anywhere, and huh, I was struggling with Jane Daniels to comp him. And then you tall this name out and I was like, that's that's it. I immediately stole and told you I was gonna steal. Tell people who you comm Daniels.
Speaker 3: To Randall Cunningham Man as a guy that people talked about the frame. Now in the context of this, does he have the raw armstring that Cunningham had. No, I don't think he's on that level, but he's not far off of a dude.
Speaker 2: Pretty close though, right close, Pretty yeah, pretty close.
Speaker 1: Not only can Daniels get it down there, he has that sort of beautiful rainbow type arc to it. And the way he plays his balls downfield is eye opening. Uh, he can like and you don't want to you don't want to give him, like, you know, encourage this a ton because you know it could get you into bad habits in the NFL if it went too far. But I saw that guy beat double coverage downfield multiple times of just dropping it in, you know, in the bucket or whatever, or fitting it into a window, whatever, and then certainly downfield up to the top of the intermediate sector and different stuff like that. You mentioned how good he is in the pocket, somebody's gotten way better at He was terrible in the pocket at Arizona State. And I've talked about this in other shows and different stuff like this, about how he always had all the tools, but Arizona State the game was moving too fast for him, and the second he would start to get pressure or he would sort of lose his process because of that. It was like this chain reaction where everything it would start to devolve. He would forget his mechanics, he would you know, start thinking about you know, like the plan of attack wouldn't be there as far as the second one, and all of a sudden, you have like a chicken with his head cutting off, running around or whatever, and you would see Aaron throws. You would see some terrible decisions where he'd throw it right into the chest plate of a linebacker, different stuff like that, or he'd take an enormous hit, or he'd you know, get stripped sack from behind when he should have been taken care of it. You don't see like these past couple of years, but especially this last year, you literally don't see that.
Speaker 2: It is not only is at night and day, wouldn't you just wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Recognize the Jade and Daniels from Arizona State against the Jade Danis from LSU because the game has slowed down so much for him that now his physical skill set is allowed to shine right because he doesn't have to think about that stuff, and the other stuff isn't evolving.
Speaker 2: It's just he can take full advantage.
Speaker 1: There's a great anecdote about how this happened where LSU has this simulator that they would put him into and he would get to see all the defense, get to have all the players, see what the coverage would be like whatever, have his whole alignment out there, and then they would run simulated plays and he was supposed to denote the pressure where it's my first read is it there is that guy covered to I have to go to the second one, the third one, whatever.
Speaker 2: You know. He started doing this, Jade and Daniels did when he got to LSU.
Speaker 1: They said by the time he left, they had sped the thing up every single time to either one and a half or even double the speed. He was playing games on fast forward before they started. And so it's no wonder when he goes out there and he slicing in dice in Alabama, slicing and dison ol miss like I mean a procession. He was just burning it down wherever he went or whatever. That's why de bro that one of the things that we talked about when we talked about on the phone the first time, how quiet his feet are in the pocket. He's just so frick so because he knows if he's if it's there, you're gonna kill you. But he can also wait for a bet, right because he knows that acceleration that he has out of the pocket. He squirts right out right like he talks, and then he's out and all of a sudden, he's in the second level before you, you know, the defensive backs have even turned around. And now you've got a problem because you've got a guy who is either low four fours or high four threes in speed my opinion, just just saying.
Speaker 3: One miles an hour and Lsu practices the four to four speed is five real, man.
Speaker 1: I love him when he's in the pocket. I love his game in the pocket. I love his composure in the pocket. Now and the fact that he keeps his base under him. Just a very small thing for him to work on as he goes to the NFL. Is the second Daniels pulls it and I don't have a qualma about when he does. I want to be very clear about this. Even though he's an awesome runner, it's not you know, you hear about this in the past with some super mobile guys of like, oh, you know, the first second of danger, he's out of there.
Speaker 2: That's not Daniels. He will wait in there as long as he can.
Speaker 1: But when he tucks, he's always running. He Daniels doesn't. He uses his legs to beat you down the field, right like as a runner. I would like to see him use his legs a bit more in the pocket, manipulating that resetting so we can buy him some more time because he's such a good thrower. And I also want him to be able to keep the defense off the beat of ascent when he does pull it down, because right now, if that part of his game remained. In NFL scutting reports every week, you're gonna see the defensive coach telling their guys the second you see that ball go down, peel off and start crashing downhill because now we have to corral this guy. I'd just like to see a tad more nuance with that. But as far as the killer as a thrower, as far as being awesome as a scrambler, the quiet feet, the year over year progression or the improvement year over year over year. I mean, now it's like this, this developmental art just shooting up.
Speaker 2: All that different stuff is just aces with him.
Speaker 1: So I will absolutely not put it past him to improve on some of these nuances that we're talking about. He's already he's already mastered a whole bunch of other things that we never thought he was gonna be good at.
Speaker 2: Debra. You have him as the QB one right now.
Speaker 1: I have him as QB two, But I'm not putting it out of the realm of possibility that he will not end as my QB one in this class. I love Jayden Daniels' game. Moving on to the second consensus quarterback on the overall board at this moment is Drake May, a guy that I mentioned before has been QB two basically since the end of the twenty twenty two season, or in the latter stages of it. The second that you move on to that draft class projecting forward, it's like, yeah, it's gonna be KLEB one, then it's gonna be Drake May two. That is still holding serve in terms of the court of public opinion, you might have you might have already sort of tipped off where you're going with this because you some of the other rankings before this.
Speaker 2: But curious how you see that.
Speaker 1: You're someone that covers the NFL is so close during the season, you don't get like dragged into some of these narratives like someone like myself does, who covers college football every single day, and you know whatever. So you come into the tape with fresh eyes on these guys and that sometimes you have you have different takes. Curious what you saw when you broke down Drake May's film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Drake May is my QB four of the class. And this is not to say I don't like Drake May. I like Drake May. I think we just have to understand who Drake May is. I don't see a lot of the rushing utility, uh, translating into the NFL. Heard the same things about Sam Howe. Is he coming out as a prospect and people are like, oh, the rushing, the rushing, Yeah, he didn't see that translated to the NFL, did you. I don't think we're gonna see that for Drake May either as a guy that really is gonna have to make his He's gonna have to cash his paycheck every single week from the pocket. Now, can he offer you some offscript ability, Yeah, that's in that's in his bag. He could do that, he could roll out, he could boot the things about Drake May's game, and the first thing that I want to bring up here is that there's just easy velocity th or like the guy is just a downfield sniper. Like you're looking at a player in Drake May that was over the last two years was eleventh and eighth in a just a completion rate on downfield throws. So that is where I think he's really going to allow himself a ceiling in the NFL is put him into an offense where they're going to stretch the field. That is something he's going to be consistently asked to do because he can do it. Now, can he mitigate pressure? Can he play off script Yes? There are also parts of his game, like you'll see some reps where he'll bail clean pockets. You'll see other reps where he's in scramble mode. And this is something that I wanted to bring up, especially because Drake May's off script ability is going to get talked about a lot in this process. And I'm not saying he doesn't have that ability. But the limiting factor that I saw, at least on some reps for Drake May when he does go off script and where entering scramble mode, is that he'll get locked on to one player in that process and he's like he's rotating towards one side of the field. He's locked onto one receiver. You don't see that on some of these other guys, like especially we want to talk about J McCarthy. JJ McCarthy, whenever he's in off script mode, and he is, he's basically he's he's the painter and now he's gonna sit here and what he's gonna do with the canvas in front of him. Drake May, that canvas is half the size or a third or the fourth of the size of somebody like JJ McCarthy or some of these other quarterbacks. He'll lock onto one wide receiver and either he completes the play and you'll see like Okay, here's a splash play, or he has to chuck it out of bounds. He limits himself in terms of he's now become the painter that decided that I'm going to work with a smaller canvas and not use the entire field. So I like Drake may And he has all the arm talent to make all the throws in the NFL. He's a guy that I think we're going to talk about. The athleticism is going to be a little bit overblown, the rushing of ability is going to be a little bit overblown. But can he win from the pocket? Does he have the arm talent to make all the throws? Yes? So I like Drake Maye. He's a He's a through and through, a first round quarterback talent, a mid to high end first round quarterback talents. I don't want to take anything away from this in my QB four ranking of him versus QB two in consensus.
Speaker 1: So I also have Drake may A's QB four And I also want to give a little bit of context there as far as saying like that might be you know, if like, if it was right now I'm making my big board, he might be number four overall my big board. Just the way that I do it, I mean, like, and I do project him to be a good NFL starter. I just think we got four dudes and this agreed big he's one of yeah and I and I think I speak for you two d bro and saying this, we don't this is going to come across as a scandalist.
Speaker 2: Take both of us ranking.
Speaker 1: I mean, we each got to this conclusion independently, but ranking him QB four or And what I don't want to get lost in there is we both really like Drake May. It's just JJ McCarthy sort of blew both of our socks off, and then you have the two other guys whatever.
Speaker 2: But Drake May is really good.
Speaker 1: And to return to a point I was talking about before, these four quarterbacks are all so different and it for me qualitatively. It's very close there when you're literally with all four of them, and in some cases you might parse the tie breaker as this is my system, like this is this guy is a better fit for my system. I don't know how some of these NFL teams will will end up seeing it, but you know, that's sort of how I see it. As far as Drake May goes, I totally agree with what you're saying. I think his athleticism has been a bit overblown when really people should be talking about McCarthy as that guy. But Drake May, he ended up piling up some rushing yards and you brought up a great piece of context on that in similar way that that Sam Howell didn't, and so he gets some credit for that. Drake may not a be athlete, but that's not a part of his game that you know is going to be crazy dangerous at the next level. He can steal some yards as a runner when he tucks. You can also put him on some design concepts. I'll say, very tough kid, very tough kid. You know he is not the pre He came in as a big time recruit and obviously had success right away, but he's not like he's not a guy that is shying away from contact at all. Drake May, some of my notes, big strapping pocket passer with a huge arm, has enough athleticism to force defenses to account for him.
Speaker 2: As a runner we'll tuck and run and.
Speaker 1: Can be used on design concepts as well when he has his base under him. He is extremely accurate. Particularly appreciate his downfield touch. Numerous instances of testing double coverage winning due to his combination of power and touch, fitting balls into very small spots down the field you want him in the pocket. The deep bre This will go to exactly what you were talking about. He needs that platform under him. Anything the defense can do to affect that increases the odds of an inaccurate throw. Something I noticed on his film his accuracy can be affected by pressure in a couple of different ways. Right when it's in his face, you'll notice that his his base can get a little bit wonky, or he speeds up his process. That's where you start to see the ball dying before it gets there, or the ball going left or right, because it's like the sped up.
Speaker 2: Oh, I gotta get it out. I gotta get it out. And now he's not mind.
Speaker 3: The interior pressure. I want to bring that, bring that up. A lot of those reps are interior pressure when it happens.
Speaker 1: I saw some other instances beyond even that, because that's like the overt like, oh, you know, the guy's about to hit him, so you know, like whatever. The other thing I noticed is like when the pocket was collapsing on him, but the pressure wasn't there quite yet. I also notice a propensity to him to speed up his process and turns of that, and I noticed some errancy there too.
Speaker 3: He'll be wearing in his pockets. He'll he'll leave some of those parts where it's like it's workable and he could step up in the pocket. He'll fail. He'll he'll roll out of those pockets sometimes. Now it's it's not a consistent thing, but it does happen.
Speaker 2: That's a part of his game.
Speaker 1: He needs to get better at, right because you're going to make your living in the NFL from the pocket. The things of the pocket manipulation, the things of like, yeah, kid, the pocket is collapsing, but there's not someone who is about to sack you.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 1: You have about another second. You can set your feet and then square your shoulders and then throw whatever. You don't need to speed it up, like you know whatever, because your accuracy is getting wonky when you do that. Those are a couple of things that he needs to work on. But love the arm. He's athletic enough. The frame is obviously ideal. Everything like that. I understand why people like him. I just have a couple more of the questions, and I think the utility is a little more limited in some of these regards. And for instance, Jaj McCarthy, you're not gonna win outside the pocket. You're Drake May. You can't do some of these different concepts. He can't find some of these answers in the moment when everything's breaking down a him for those reasons that go McCarthy. Drake May as a what would have been his sophomore year. I think he was technically a red shirt freshman, But in twenty twenty two, he started out the year was just destroying worlds. He was absolutely amazing. And in the last two to three games I forgot when the cutoff was. He struggled down the stretch. It was like, once we got to like mid November, the end of his season, it was it was something totally different, and now he was struggling. Well, what was happening was there was a team that he played in mid November. I wish I could remember exactly what team in twenty twenty two this was. But they had a brilliant idea, let's just drop eight every time. Every time he goes back to the rope, we're dropping eight. And Drake May saw the eight guys out there and was like, what the hell do I do? It was like he had landed on the moon and you started to see the same howl things of like I don't know what to do. I don't know what to do, panicking and just I'm talking and running, and so that the passing stats came way down. He obviously wasn't comfortable testing the windows whatever. It was just like all his zones were flooded. Wasn't seeing the receivers open whatnot. That happened down the stretch there in twenty twenty two. And then over the offseason, Phil Longo, who has worked with you know, a bunch of NFL quarterbacks going Matt Corral's guy before that, whatever, Sam Howel. He goes from UNC to Wisconsin and joins Luke Fickl staff. Then they had a new offensive coordinator, a guy who not as well respected in terms of like schematics and stuff like that. And it's like, well, Drake May, if your stud like elevate your game, show that you can win in this other system, more of the stuff not handed you on a platter, like it wasn't that Longo system.
Speaker 2: And I didn't see that.
Speaker 1: I saw a bit of regression from Drake May this year avoids negative play percentile for Drake May forty six percentile under pressure fifty first percentile outside the pocket where we agree he doesn't win that bears out in the stats forty six percentile.
Speaker 2: You know, just just some some different stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Again, these are super nippicky things, but that's that's just what I and I.
Speaker 3: Haven't gonna be as well. That's gonna affect the range of outcomes and his overall ceiling. And we have to bring up And it's not because we're trying we're trying to shave these kids. It's because we're going to talk about like the range of outcomes. Because here's the thing. Not everybody that goes to the freaking NFL is gonna be an all pro. If that's the case, then what are we even talking about here? You know? So we have ranges of outcomes with all of these players. Can they actualize their ceilings? What are the parts of their games? I'm not gonna say where they they're bad or the weaknesses. Where are the areas that they can improve in their games to really actualize that ceiling?
Speaker 1: But we both I don't want to put words in your mouth, but we agree, Drake may overall top eight prospect overall in the class or sex.
Speaker 3: I think you can easily just stack them even though we're the very top, but just put them number one, two, three, four overall on your board. You know that I would not push back against anybody doing that.
Speaker 1: Thousand at last, but not least, moving to the consensus QB one. He has been the knsenses QB one for a long time. Now, USC's Caleb Williams. What did you think about debro and where do you have him ranked?
Speaker 3: I got him at QB three, and I know people are gonna sit here and hate it. I know people are gonna push back about that. And again I'm going to point right back to the point we made earlier in this show. The top four qbs in this class, I look at them as one long tier. So don't get it twisted. Don't talk about oh well, I'm just throwing to throw this out here just for clicks, or I'm trying to do this out here to be hyperbolic. No, when you look at Caleb Williams and the overall totality his game, does he have a wider range of outcomes than say McCarthy and Jaden Daniels. I think he does. Now if you were to say I'm gonna watch all of his twenty two tape, twenty twenty two tape, and I'm not going to care about twenty twenty three. You'd have a very very different conversation thor we'd be talking about, oh well, all of the hiccups and the worries that we have about some of the things that cab what Caleb Williams did in twenty twenty three, those don't exist. So would he be my clear cut, top of the shelf QB one of this class without a without any type of question. Sure, but hey, guess what twenty twenty three did happen? You could try to will it away, you can try to erase it, you can try to pretend like none of it happened, but it did, so we have to discuss it. In twenty twenty three, Caleb Williams lesser skilled players around him and stuff. You didn't see wide receivers getting in and out of their breaks as well getting open as well. So a lot of this, like Caleb Williams gunslinger mentality, this super playmaker and his ability to play off a script, a lot of that turned into I'm gonna play hero ball and so he's bailing some clean pockets. He's also the other part and this is the part where it gets worrisome, is that in that type of system, basically in twenty twenty three what you saw from Caleb Williams, are those bad habits gonna translate to the NFL? Which all three for these teams at the top of the Are we going to talk about any of those teams having illustrious offensive lines? Are we gonna talk about any of those teams or his possible landing spots. Even if we say he goes with Cliff to Washington like we talked about when we discussed betting odds, even if he goes there was the Commander's offensive line just a maller unit last year. Are we so just enamored with how much protection in time Caleb Williams would have in the pocket in Washington, in Chicago, in New England. No, So, these parts of his game and these worries from twenty twenty three have to be discussed in the context of what did twenty twenty three look like and what does that look like projecting the NFL. Are these new bad habits that stay and hang around because of the speed of the game is going to speed up going from college to the NFL. Learning a new system, having new parts and pieces around you, having a new offensive coordinator. If it's not Washington, all of those parts have to get brought up. Does Caleb Williams have special talent yes? Does he have a cannon yes? Can he make ridiculous plays off script? Yes? But some of those things can hurt him as well. Where he's bailing clean pockets, he's missing wide receivers in his progression. He's not throwing to underneath options that are wide open in twenty twenty three where he could have easy completions. Is he forcing double coverage go balls down the freaking field? Yes? So some of these bad habits are they ingrained? Are they part of what we're going to see in the NFL? Can he re acclimate himself and get more of that tempered aggression back from twenty twenty two? It is very possible. And if that is the case, he will be the QB one of this class. He will bury every single person that did not rank him as the QB one of this class. But can I definitively right now say on air to you Thor that I have no questions about Caleb Williams game that I will rank him at QB one because the consensus is going to turn it a volume up to eleven and bury anybody that doesn't do that. No, I have questions about his game and that's why he is not as of right now recording this right now. That is why he is not my QB one. Is he really freaking talented and can he be that? It's possible?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think where where we agree on this prospect is it's there's more risk in the profile I think than has been forwarded out there, because the way that he was depicted is like, oh, this is cam Mis, he's got to be there's you know, it's a no doubter at one and you know he's gonna be the superstar whatever. There's some risk there, you know, not you know, excessive whatever, but there's there is some because you have some of those.
Speaker 2: Bad habits and things that I like about him.
Speaker 1: I think I had a thing in my my he plays with an effortless error, and he he trusts what he's seeing so much right like and and when things are going well, everything's clicking and everything looks natural, right, and that that's where the ceiling comes into play. And it's like, I don't know how you defend this guy, but when it's going the other way sometimes, I mean there was a couple of games last year where he did not play particularly well. When when that stuff isn't going as well, and now it's like, you know, is you trust the eyes and you know, making a mistake with the reeds, different stuff like that forcing the ball like you mentioned twenty twenty two, he was absolutely a says he regressed a little bit in twenty twenty three. I mean, it just is what it is, and I think it's fair context because he lost you know, Jordan Addison for instance, receiving corps wasn't quite as good. But JJ McCarthy didn't have a killer of a receiving corps. I mean JJ McCarthy had Roman Wilson, and then the other guys were.
Speaker 3: Drake May didn't either want to talk about Tas Walker and all those guys there.
Speaker 2: Your boy, don't put that on me.
Speaker 1: But yet with you know, as far as Caleb, so I am still ranking him as QB one. It is closer for me though, like this is not a no doubt or and and I still absolutely might twitch it. But on that upside, you know, when again when you see that those flash play and he had a ton of them over the last couple you know, this year as well. It was just this year the consistency, it just vacillated, and that's the stuff he's gonna have to address, crop out some of those bad habits, whatever. But the ceiling of this prospect, to me, is the highest in the class. That's I'm still going off off the ceiling on this, but I do think that there's a little bit more risk just because of the things that we're talking about. The consistency. Consistency needs to get better with Caleb Williams. And I do wonder Debro about what you're talking about too. You go to the NFL, maybe the supporting cast isn't very good because obviously you're not gonna be You're getting picked by a great franchise right to start. You have to be the impetus of this thing turning around. Then you're wondering last year, you know, just a couple guys leave and all of a sudden, the thing devolves into seven and five. Usc looked listless a lot of weeks, but now he's gonna be going to another franchise.
Speaker 2: It's even way.
Speaker 1: You know, there's worse in the NFL at least are can he be that catalyst to turn the thing around. Certainly has the ability for that, and that's what I'm really excited about. The creative bent to his game. Different stuff like that way he puts defenders into conflict all the time, you know, different stuff like that. I love all that stuff that you know, out of the pocket, he's a says, throwing on the run. He's different stuff like that. I love all that stuff about his game. But yeah, just just needs a little bit more work. I think it's fair to say. You know, Pat Mahomes found his Andy Reid, and I think Pat Mahomes would have succeeded either way. But finding Andy Reid is what took Mahomes to the next level a guy where at speaking of Cliff Kingsbury, you know, Mahomes plays for him at Texas Tech. And the one issue that you had with Mahomes at Texas Tech was he had a ludicrous arm. Yeah, I mean you just didn't see guys with the arm of Pat Mahomes. But it was that, you know, he would do that his own high wire act where it was like I need to win every single game whatever was playing some hero ball because this situation required it. It was Pat Mahomes basically, you know, returning fire against the Baker Mayfield Lhommes Sooner's different stuff like that.
Speaker 2: He needed an NFL coach that would teach him. These are the instances.
Speaker 1: Where you can let yourself off the leash and I want to see that faull thing. I want to see you be Caalisi's dragon breathing fire from this guy. You do what you know whatever, you know whatever with that stuff, but you also need to understand when it's not there. And just to take the short profit. Think about Pat Mahomes when they started doing the two deep safeties on them all the different time and they're like the NFL was like, we're not letting you have the d BA anymore.
Speaker 2: Pat Mahomes like, okay, I'll beat you anyway.
Speaker 3: Right. It was even the thing we were that he had to acclimate to that more. Now like there were old enough to remember, there were parts in the NFL where Patrick Mallonmes people are like, has the NFL figured out Patrick Mahomes? Is he the same Patrick Mahomes. Now we've seen his game evolve as the NFL was evolved and coverages have evolved. Can Caleb do that? I think it's very, very possible. But in my ranking of him, I'm acknowledging where a lot of people are not acknowledging the fact that the range of outcomes is a little bit wider for him than most people are willing to mention.
Speaker 2: So deep, brother.
Speaker 1: Now that we've wrapped up the discussion of the CONCENTSUS top eight and tossed our thing out, let's run through our top ten. So expand the list by two and then and then give people a reminder of where we're at on these guys.
Speaker 2: So we'll start with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So QB ten for me is Joe Milton. I mean, he's got all the talent in the world that you'd want from a quarterback. I mean oozing oozing attributes is just a question of does he ever put it together? And I'm on the lower end of I don't know if that ever happens. QB nine, similar conversation. I got these two guys in the same tier. Jordan Travis out of Florida State. He's got all the intangibles you wanted of a starting quarterback. He can run, he could throw, the big thing for him is inconsistencies in his game and whether that's mechanics, whether that's footwork, whether that's ball placement, big big times on big time on ball placement. The inconsistencies are real. QB eight Michael Pratt. We talked about QB seven bow Nicks. QB six for me is Spencer Rattler, QB five is Michael Pennix, QB four is Drake May, three is Caleb Williams, Mike QB two is JJ McCarthy and Mike TB one of this class right now is Jaden Daniels.
Speaker 1: So me starting at the top from one, Caleb Williams, Jenden Daniels, McCarthy, at three, Drake May, four, Pennix five, Nick six, Rattlers seven, Pratt eight. My nine is Milton. I think there's a there's a big drop after eight. The eight is like you know, I mean, and the latter part of that, you know, after the top four than the next four I think are like the solid backups, and maybe you know you might get more than that, like you know, you have to see, but there's more questions about those guys. You'll get at least a back about it. You get beyond that, and now we're starting to pars guys whatever. I put Milton at the front of the line of that because I think there's only a one in one thousand shot that the light ever goes on for Joe Milton. But if it ever does, watch out. I don't think it's gonna happen. I think he's gonna wash out of the NFL pretty quick. He's like a JaMarcus Russell without the hypeer or whatever has all the MP.
Speaker 3: Was Josh Freeman's I'm with you on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean he could throw the ball a mile. He's super athletic.
Speaker 1: You know, at six five two forty two he can do standing back flips. You talk about a mile per hour runner. When he gets out on the open field, he can start trucking. The accuracy is all over the plays. He has no pocket presence. Even though he's playing in one of the most advantageous offensive systems in college football, the Hennon Hooker Special with Josh Hypel at Tennessee. Even cleaving the field in half for him, he was still badly struggling to make the correct reids. My ten was Jordan Travis, who I think Jordan Travis has a way lower ceiling, but I think he hangs around as the clip board holder guy, a guy that improved quite a bit earlier in his career at Louisville. He really struggled with the accuracy, wasn't a good thrower or whatever. Worked on his game, worked on his game, worked on his game to at least become viable with in the pocket. You mentioned his athleticism. He had that devastating injury against the FCS team in mid November that led to all the playoff discussions that we won't get into with college football, but we want to see, you know what, we'll see it in Indianapolis, the medicals and how that's going and where they project him as far as the recovery timeline. But assuming that is all okay ish, you know, we don't get bad news beyond what we already know with Jordan Travis. I would have him number ten and Debro welcome or goodbye to our very first episode of the Fantasy Pros NFL Draft show.
Speaker 3: That was fun, my friend, oh man, good stuff, man, And we're gonna have more of these prospect talks. We're gonna go through all the running backs. We're gonna talk about pole rising players. We're gonna talk about when we get closer to the combine, about betting on all this stuff. Man, So everybody get subscribed, stay tuned in. It's gonna be freaking fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely subscribe because these episodes will be drafting every single week on the podcast.
Speaker 2: Which day for the people?
Speaker 3: Are they going to be dropping every Wednesday? So he usually will record these on Monday or Tuesday, and this episode will drop Wednesday.
Speaker 2: So they be dropping on Wednesday. Make sure to subscribe to that.
Speaker 1: Like I said, every single episode, we're gonna hit props, different things that came out like that, values that we could see on the board and then run through like we did today, our top eight or top ten by position parts on some of that. And then we have a couple episodes where we get deeper sleeper running backs. We're gonna get way out there in the Wese, sleeper wide receivers, different stuff like that. Super excited for the rest of the spring. Super excited to be with you, de bro and four my colleague Derek Brown, I am Thrownysram. Thanks for joining us. We will see you next time on the Fantasy Pros NFL Draft show.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening to the Fantasy Pros Dynasty Football podcast. If you love the show, the best freeway to support us is by leaving a positive review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify, follow us on x, Instagram, and TikTok at Fantasy Pros A subscribe to our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash Fantasy Pros.