Speaker 1: Hello puzzlers, and welcome to the Puzzler podcast The Missing Nickel in your daily puzzle count Questions. I'm your host, AJ Jacobs, and I'm here with our guest, Andy Borrowitz, creator of The Borrowitz Report and best selling author of Profiles and Ignorance. Welcome Andy, Thanks for having me, Aj and Andy. Greg Pliska, our chief puzzle officer, has written a special puzzle just for you. Mike, I'm gonna turn it over to Greg.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for letting me out of the basement once again, just this one. It's great to meet you. Andy.
Speaker 3: I'm not worthy. I'm not worthy.
Speaker 2: Now, you're probably not familiar with the playwright William Snakespear, are you.
Speaker 3: I'm not.
Speaker 4: It's it rings a bell vaguely, but I don't think I've read any of his Did he write Rodeo and Juliette?
Speaker 3: Was that hisse?
Speaker 2: So you're actually gonna write today's puzzle, aren't you. You've got the idea right there. William Snakespear wrote a number of works that are just one letter different from those of the better known Williams right on about a bit okay, and so one example certainly could be Rodeo and Juliette. Another is the one about the Prince of Denmark and his new low cost airline that's staffed entirely by bad actors, which, of course is the play Hamjet Hamjet exactly just one letter different from the better known Hamlet. Well you understand how this works, so we'll just dive right in. I'll give you a description of the snake Spear play, and you see if you can come up with the title. Okay, all right, here's your first one. This rom com has dos Daemona revealing her love for sports agent Jerry Maguire with the line you had me.
Speaker 4: Well you had me at hello, so would it be oh hello?
Speaker 2: Oh it's actually at hello Hello?
Speaker 4: Is just one very close because I actually said that in my in my setup, and then I got the answer Rocket Party'll give you credits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you actually said the words, as long.
Speaker 4: As you several correct answer before didn't identify them correctly that I did.
Speaker 1: At Hello a play on othello.
Speaker 3: That's a very clever one. That's very clever.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, here's another one. A young Montague boy attempts to woo the daughter of the rival Capulate family. He's captured and thrown into the Illinois State Penitentiary, made famous by the movie The Blues Brothers.
Speaker 4: Well, he wasn't in a rodeo, that he was, but he was in Joliet. It was Romeo in Joliet.
Speaker 2: Romeo and Joliette. Exactly, yeah, exactly, very good. I almost cut that one because you you know, you got Rodeo and Juliet is all so very good.
Speaker 4: Well, maybe that's his he had some rodeo based in fraction.
Speaker 3: Exactly right. That's that sort of changes your role. Then you're misspelling two words, so that's a little time.
Speaker 2: No, she's left behind at the rodeo, right, that's where he goes to brit.
Speaker 3: And he says, this isn't my first rodeo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right. Here's another one, another famous snake spear play. In a cursed Scottish castle. A lady stands over the tub, attempting again and again to wash the blood off of her Apple computer.
Speaker 3: I love that. Oh that's very clever. She's in another words, giving it a mac bath.
Speaker 2: Mac bath is exactly the image of this woman with all the computers in the bathtub.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's not very good for the mac. I would say it's not maybe with I think if she used the like the purell a little, it might work, but.
Speaker 2: It could exactly much cleaner. All right, I got one more for you before we wrap up. This play is a sequel to an animated DreamWorks film, and it finds Queen Fiona challenged by Petruchio to get her ogresh husband under control.
Speaker 4: Oh gosh, so it will be. I think it'll be Taming of the Shrack, right, the Taming of the Shrack. Yeah, I almost I almost lost my credibility as an English.
Speaker 3: Nature by saying Petruchio patruch one? Was he in? You know? It's like it's been a while, well understood.
Speaker 2: You got to drop a hint in there for the folks who might not have any idea about Shrek. But at least no, Petruchio isn't taming.
Speaker 4: That was a very clever one. These are all really great. I think I'd like mac bath.
Speaker 2: It's good fun, isn't it. I love Thank you, Thank you. Well. As always, we have an extra credit to to give the listeners at home. You'll know the answer, so don't call it out. Well, I'll just share this one for our listeners. Although he had great success as the architect of the victories of King George Bush, the second of Navarre. This political advisor's work is all for naught when King Trump comes to power years later.
Speaker 1: Hmm, okay, that's good.
Speaker 3: That's a tough one.
Speaker 1: That is a tough one.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 1: Well, they've got a whole day to do it, or more. They can do it whenever they want.
Speaker 2: No, no, If they don't get it in by the next podcast, they can't listen anymore.
Speaker 1: Well, they can take a break to just savor it. Well, thank you Greg, and thank you Andy. That was delightful and educational, So everyone's a winner. Remember, don't forget to subscribe to the Puzzler podcast and we will see you here tomorrow for some more puddling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 5: Hello, Puzzlers. Day after Valentine's Day, this is Greg Kliska, your chief puzzle officer. Here were the extra credit from her Valentine's Day special. I played a game with aj where I gave him clues to words or phrases that appear on the candy hearts that people give out at Valentine's Day. These are sort of punny charade cryptic sorts of clues, and the two extra credits I gave you were these. The first one was reddish brown, body of water or howl at the moon, and the answer, of course was bee bay is the answer.
Speaker 2: To each of those clues. Bee is a reddish brown color, a body of water, or a verb meaning howl at the moon. But Bee Bae also appears on candy hearts. The second one I gave you was a young woman who loves Venezuelan politician Chavez, and that would be Hugo Chavez, and of course a young woman who loves him is a Hugo girl, giving you the confectionery heart phrase you go girl. That's one of the more encouraging candy hearts. So we encourage you to come back and listen to the Puzzler again tomorrow and the day after that, and the day after that, until we see you here a year from now for Valentine's Day. Once again, thanks for listening.