Speaker 1: Hey everyone, Thanks for tuning in. This is Jonah and welcome to this bonus content from How Did We Get Weird. This month, we're revisiting the podcast in different ways, and today we're really proud to present our very first guest episode with Saturday Night Live cast member Beck Bennett.
Speaker 2: Beck is one of my favorite people in the world, and he just makes me laugh so much, and it is so perfect that the topic he wanted to talk about was lean pockets because there's something so specific and like just so hilarious about that, which is, you know, that's beck sense of humor. Beck and I used to have so much fun in SNL together, Like every time I see him still, I get so excited and I just love him, So I'm really excited that we're reairing this episode.
Speaker 1: We also gotten the origins of our dad, Todd Behar's status is the original Todd, and kind of learned about how that whole phenomenon came about, which comes up a lot on the podcast. Thanks to everyone for tuning in, and keep an eye up for next Monday for our regularly scheduled episod of How Did We Get Weird?
Speaker 2: And be sure to rate and subscribe to the podcast because that's good for us and.
Speaker 3: It's good for you, and we all love each other so very much.
Speaker 4: Hi.
Speaker 3: I'm Vanessa Bayer and this is my brother Jonah.
Speaker 1: We're two siblings who love to talk about our childhood in nostalgia and how it shaped us into the people we are today.
Speaker 3: Which are pretty red if I do say so myself.
Speaker 1: Welcome to How Did We Get Weird?
Speaker 3: So I want to.
Speaker 2: Talk to you about this kind of interesting thing about our dad, which is that, as you know, Jonah, our dad has told us since we were little, that he is the first Todd, meaning the first person ever to have Todd as their first name. He maintains that before he was named Todd, it was a last name, like Carson or something, and that his parents were the first ones to decide to use it as a first name, and that anybody who's older than him who goes by the name Todd is probably really named Theodore or something, but they just started calling themselves Todd after he was born.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm very familiar with this. I feel like we've done some research over the years. Todd Rundgren famous Todd is younger than our dad. Yes, so that checks out yeah, James Earl Jones is real. First name I think is Todd, but he doesn't count.
Speaker 2: I think it's not his first name though. I think there's a Todd in James Earl Jones's name, but.
Speaker 1: That probably wouldn't count because he doesn't go by Todd anyways, Right, right, right, And then there's a few different kind of sub rules to I feel like our dad's belief.
Speaker 3: First of all, do you believe it?
Speaker 1: I didn't believe it at first, but it reminds me of like a lot of stuff our Dada told us over the years. They didn't believe it first that ended up being true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like Esperanto. We'll get into that another day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can talk about another day. But yeah, our dad told us there was a universal language and we didn't believe it and it turned out to be true. So I mean, someone has to be the first Todd. So I think it's yeah, I've never met a Todd older than our day. I think it's possible. It sounds made up, but someone has to it has to be someone.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, I just want to say that.
Speaker 2: I don't know how much you reference it in daily life, but I did A think particular leader in college where whenever I would meet people named Todd, I would go, did you know you're named after my dad?
Speaker 3: And it didn't always go great.
Speaker 1: I have to say people were confused a little.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well your production company is named what is it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's named the first Todd.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just so, so whether or not I believe it, and and the truth is, I do think our grandparents had an independent thought to name him Todd. I will defend it forever because it's it's so important to him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he's a first Todd. I think, I mean, I think someone if someone like someone's listening to this and they wanted to do some research and maybe they could find something. But it's also like leave it alone, like yeah.
Speaker 2: Also be cool, don't do that research, Like, just act like a cool person.
Speaker 5: Yeah, go outside or something, you know, betiful, it's some fresh air jerk exactly. Well, speaking of jerks, I'm kidding. I'm fully kidding. This is one of the best people in the world. This is one of my Okay, I'm introducing our guests. By the way, John, I didn't know if you knew that, Yeah, I knew it. With a great segue. Okay, we have today. We are so lucky to have one of my close friends.
Speaker 2: He's an actor, he's a writer, he's called singer. He's just a true talent and such a joy. Please welcome my friend and yours, Beck Bennett.
Speaker 4: Hello. Hello, I'm a singer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're a singer.
Speaker 4: I can't help it. Guys, it's so great to be on the pod. As they say, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 3: Thank you for being here.
Speaker 4: Beck. I love that discussion about the first time. I immediately you guys were just criticizing people for researching. When you were talking about I immediately looked up like as if this was going to do something where the hot Toddy came from, as if that was going to give me some insight into the name Todd. But it has nothing to do with the name Todd.
Speaker 3: What where did it come from?
Speaker 4: Tad Taddy? I think it's t a D d Y like something about SAP or something like that. So it's not the name Todd. But I was that person who immediately started researching.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I but you were doing it from a peer of heartway, like I feel like people were telling people who are doing it out of a like I'm going to you know, ruin their dad's dreams of being the first time, Like, those are the people that we want to avoid.
Speaker 4: I was actually doing it in support of your dream. Yeah, I wanted him to be the first Todd. I love that. I love that idea that he's the first.
Speaker 3: Hop do you believe it? It's okay, you can be honest with us.
Speaker 4: I actually, you know, it's I don't know if it's like a belief in truth. But when I hear this, and I don't know if it's just because I'm biased because I love you guys, but I'm like, I think he could be. It sounds like it sounds right. Yeah, maybe it was a name, but yeah, he was the first one to be with the first with the first name talk. Yeah for that to be yeah, yeah, nobody.
Speaker 3: Else is saying it, so yeah, nobody else is really claiming it.
Speaker 4: So it's like and also, yeah, if you do this here, if you put it out there enough, you might get a Todd, another Todd to come forward or somebody else to come forward and be like my dad was the first Todd. And then you can you can talk to them about right, and you can maybe figure this out, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Right, right, right right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, like a bit of a Todd bubble with just our Daddy.
Speaker 4: And you gotta you gotta pop that Todd bubble.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just our dad and anyone who I told was named after him who immediately got offended.
Speaker 4: You guys, I gotta say, this is immediate. I not not that I've done a bunch of podcasts, but this is immediately the sweetest podcast I've ever been on. I feel I feel very comfortable to be here.
Speaker 3: Well, Beck, we are so happy that you're here. It's just so fun.
Speaker 2: Jonah brought something up to me earlier this week about your name and we we have. Did things change for you significantly when Beck became a popular musician?
Speaker 4: It it did? I remember I think in seventh grade huge loser, huge, and it didn't. That didn't do bad things for me. People didn't go around calling me a loser. Good am I saying the songs on my face, which is great. That could have been bad. He gave me a cassette like the tape of it for my birthday when it came out, and then I fell in love with it, and I don't I think, I mean, I do love his music, yeah, but I can't tell how much of that was, Like there's another back he's like a rock star and I love his music because of that, So I became part of my identity that I.
Speaker 1: Liked back wall who gave you the tape?
Speaker 4: Josh By Bruin? Wow? I s real middle name? Or if that's like his nickname that he like said, what's his middle name? But he went by Joshua Bruin. I still don't know if it's his.
Speaker 3: Actual name is well, who knows.
Speaker 1: It's just he could be the first person with the middle name.
Speaker 4: Yeah, is a good name. Boo yah? Wait, what does that mean? Like the slang boo yah? Does that mean like hell yeah boo yah?
Speaker 3: It's kind of it's kind of an yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like yeah, it means like hell yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: That's what's upo yeah.
Speaker 3: It's like hell yeah, but you mean it so much. It's like hell yeah.
Speaker 2: To the like times ten is boo yeah, hell yeah, it's boom yeah.
Speaker 1: So were you a fan? Did you follow his career kind of throughout?
Speaker 4: I did? I did, and like I got a book, not that that's a big deal. It was like a book about like how he changed as an artist from record to record and I loved that about him too. I like saw him as an artist as like not just a musician. And then I think around I want to say, maybe Sea Change was the last album that made an impact on me. I think it was like up through high school and then after that I sort of fall off a little bit.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I was the same. I was the same. I kind of stopped it for that, although you know I did when he played SNL. I went because father Jem Misty was in his backing band for that TA Yeah, which was cool, and I got to meet him during the rehearsals. I was excited about that. But yeah, I haven't really followed his music as much since Sea Change.
Speaker 3: I think I took a picture of you with him back at SNL.
Speaker 4: He was like one of the few people like I went to. You know, I've watched like a lot of rehearsals on Thursday, but watched him on Thursday and was like, I think I was crying because it was like my second year maybe or like I think it was maybe my first. It was early on and I was like, I can't believe, like he was like one of the he was like the first musician I loved so to see him, and he was playing like really like deep emotional slow songs and I was standing back there and being like I can't believe this is happening, and I like cried them like night and then yeah, and then somebody introduced me to him. I forget who. Maybe you was it you? Probably you, you're kind of a music head.
Speaker 2: I remember as being by the page desk where all that happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 4: It was maybe you. I don't know. Somebody was like, Beck, this is Beck. He's a big fan. And we talked for a little bit and then the yeah, that was it, but it was so it was a really moment.
Speaker 3: That's so nice. And is that the only other person you've ever met who's named Beck?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 4: So and also he's Beck Hanson. That was his first name, right, official official first name. My middle name is Beck. It's my mom's maiden name, right. And my first name is Christopher, and they just never called me Christopher.
Speaker 2: I always forget that your first name is Christopher because you seem so much more like a Beck than a Christopher.
Speaker 4: I grew into my name.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and his first name is Beck, I think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so maybe he's the first Beck which what an honor for you to be named after him, which I know you people technically weren't, but as according to the logic that I've given people, anyone who's born even six months after you is named after you after first Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was named after him, and it's an absolute honor. I feel like I just had another sset bunny snl story of something else, but it escapes me.
Speaker 3: Now we had a lot, We had a lot of fun there, and we.
Speaker 4: Had so much fun there. How many years did we overlap? Five?
Speaker 3: We overlapped four?
Speaker 2: Four years, I think, because did you just finish your eighth season?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Wow, crazy, right.
Speaker 3: You've outlasted I was going to say the Master.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I out lasted the Master. That's a bear. I was there for seven, you were there for seven. Now I'm more important than you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now you're more important.
Speaker 4: It's like when I hire status.
Speaker 2: It's like when we were little, Jonah said, because he was two years older than me, mom and our mom and dad had two more things of love for him.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, two more things things I didn't have, actual unit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, things you didn't have that I don't have. The logic made sense to me at the time, yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I like things. Yeah sure, Yeah, I have one more thing of SNL than you. I have one more thing of Lauren's love than you. Yeah, that's tru. That's how I look By.
Speaker 1: The way, speaking of like seventh grade, when you discover back, I mean and SNL, like, it seems like you, you and Kyle play so many of these like adolescent boy kind of characters. I mean, do you find I think, like Vanessa too like and me like find that period of life so funny? I mean is that fun for you? Like what kind of draws you to like that period of growing up? I guess, well, like I.
Speaker 4: Guess I'm trying to think of like some of the characters, some of the nostalgia stuff. It's like, I mean there's well there's like initially, like we've done a lot of like sitcomy sort of sketches and that comes from like definitely TGIF and like sort of those types of things and old kids movies. I mean, I think there's a lot there that we would watch and just find that the bad acting and like the kids trying to like express ideas or feelings that they clearly don't understand our own, And it's like that disconnect is really funny. I also think that like that whatever age, it is like that pure excitement and this is like, you know, it's a different thing, but kids being like yeah, it's just like so just like like sugar high stuff, like kids spazzing out and just being like.
Speaker 3: This is awesome.
Speaker 4: Yes, Oh my god, this is so cool, like that sort of stuff, or like getting so upset and throwing temper tantrums and like losing control of their bodies and minds. I mean, both of those are like my immediate attractions to that like time period and playing characters like that, And so they're kind of two different things. One is like fully you know, a kid being in their body and being so emotional and so excited or so upset, and the other one is like kids like trying to be adults and not understanding it but saying it anyway, you know what I mean. It's like one is very connected to the emotional experience and one is fully separated. So those are kind of like my immediate connections to making fun of that that period.
Speaker 3: I think that's so great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And with the sitcoms, like I feel like all the audience noise, like the laugh tracks oohs and ahs. Is so that also sounds so weird today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well yeah, because we don't have shows with laugh tracks anymore.
Speaker 3: Not really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And also like the like that interstitial like music where it's like so jarring, it's like it's like electric guitar, like so loud, and you're like, well, where.
Speaker 4: What was that shot? You go back and watch and it's like, Okay, I gonna just add something more generic. It doesn't need to take that thing. We don't need to be commenting on the interlude music and how great it was, and it doesn't need to be upstaging the characters in the story. But yeah, it does feel I think that's one of the things we like to do with those sketches. It just feels so surreal to watch those old shows and hear the gasps and like the laughter, and it's like what is this world that they're in? It just feels like a dream, And like back then it was so natural to hear all those sounds, you know, back then it would be I think even now to see like a full soundstage set and seeing those characters interacting with silence would probably be even more surreal, you know, with nothing totally, which is something I feel like we never never really did, but that would be funny to experiment with and just like take the laugh track out of the things that we did.
Speaker 1: What were some of your favorites.
Speaker 4: Of those like types of those sitcoms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like from that era kind of shows.
Speaker 4: I mean the first one we did with Andrew Garfield, it was called Wing, and I really like that one. I think like the because we would a lot of the sitcom sketches that I did with Kyle and Dave, and Kyle, Kyle was like he was He's really obsessed with this period and it would kind of come from his brain and how much he would watch, uh, these sketches and he would share them with us and we would like come up with, you know, stuff for them. But I really liked Wing because I think it really worked really well, and that was a little different. It wasn't on a sound stage. It shot more like an internet video or something, but it had all the audience sounds. And then the one I like after that would probably be the one let's see we did with Chris Pratt. And then like, sorry, now I'm like naming half of them Ryan Gosling, the Ryan Goslin want to I love that one. The reason I think I hesitated. I think that was like a sort of like everything coming together, like the sets, the looks, like everything really like elevated it. It's almost like we did a couple of them and they were like they gave us more money to pull off our idea how we like really wanted to and then we like we were laughing so much. We love the edit. And then it went to dress and it died.
Speaker 2: Do you want to explain to the audience because it was sort of a dark premise if I remember.
Speaker 4: Okay, so yeah, it's Kyle. Wait, I haven't like even thought about it a long time, but like Kyle, Kyle wants to be cool. He's Dougie and he it's it's based on this Family Matters episode where oh where you know, where Erkle becomes Stefan, right, you know, So he goes in this cool machine and yeah, Kyle does, and he comes out and I think he turns in from Dougie to do Gay. Wait, no, wait what it's it's do Gay. No, they're gay. I think it's do Gay instead of Dougie. Anyway, it's been a long time. And then but then I'm now I forgetting that. But there's like a drunk car.
Speaker 2: Crash right, and doesn't Ryan Gossling's character die. I think he died, and you guys come back in and you're like, he died.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah. It's like let's party and there's like a scene where yeah, like Kyle becomes the cool guy at the party and Ryan Gosling's like, whoa cool man? And there's like a dance where the whole where everybody.
Speaker 3: Dances like kind of the same.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, anyway, it was was that was a video where like Lauren came to set and it was like everything going good and it was like, yep, everything's great, and then at dress rehearsal people were just not responding to it. There was like no laughter and then it's still it still went online and I love it, But.
Speaker 3: Did it not make it to air? It just went online.
Speaker 4: It just went online. Yeah it didn't make it to air. Wow yeah wow Yeah. I think for me the wing, I mean there, I like those first three a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Hello, this is the first Todd debatable but not really And you're listening to how did We Get Weird? With Joan and Vanessa Bayer. Now a word from our sponsors and we're back.
Speaker 4: Nice. That would so smooth. That was like, it seems like you guys have been doing this for forever. Like the back and forth is just I mean what you guys grew up together.
Speaker 1: So we are up together. But for me, because you too are obviously such kind of high energy performers, so rude from.
Speaker 2: Some of the world some of the country's greatest punk bands in America's Jonah Bayer.
Speaker 4: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: And I laughed because I was telling that.
Speaker 2: I laughed for fun, enjoying the moment, not because I was kidding.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I'll take it. I appreciate that. Thank you.
Speaker 4: I know what you're talking about. I understand what's happening now, Beck.
Speaker 3: You were seeing something very sweet during the commercial press who was like one of your favorite people to see at your wedding.
Speaker 4: Oh oh, that's interesting that you bring that up, because I have said that one of the best guests was you.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's why I brought for the.
Speaker 4: Listeners and for Joanah. I don't know if you've heard this. Vanessa was a fantastic guest this Oh really so she like she showed up in a fun way. She like showed up in a car and like me and my brothers were there on the parking lot of this venue in like the Redwoods in northern California, and she was like hanging out with us right away. She was like she always had a smile on. So because as as somebody who's getting married, you like this. You like to look out at your guests and see them enjoying themselves. So a lot of people would just be like humhm. For people can't see that's not a smile. It's like a I don't know what to do, I don't know who to talk to, and you're like, oh, no, I hope they're having fun. Every time I looked at Vanessa, it was like she's having fun, She's talking to people. She was like present. I think also the other thing is that a lot of people are like, oh, it's your wedding.
Speaker 7: I want to get out of your way.
Speaker 4: I don't want to talk to you. And it's great you want people around you, because it can feel like you can feel so separated from all these people that you want to be interacting with, and I think they like are trying to be respectful and give you space and not talk to you, which is like not what you want, which is something I've done weddings too. But you know, but you are a fantastic guest.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I kind of I kind of fed you.
Speaker 4: You fed it to me, but I was thinking I was going to say it. That's why I came out here. I want to tell people. And also I have so many photos to show you. You're in so many like you're like, you're just like talking to people and you'll be like expressions like this, like what Beck.
Speaker 2: Is doing right now, just so you know, is he's mid talking with his hands up, which I do gesture a lot, and like halfway through a blank like yeah, a blank, very flattering.
Speaker 4: Well, okay, yeah, next topic.
Speaker 3: Differently, I took us a little off.
Speaker 2: I took us a little off, which I'm happy I did, because I wanted everyone to know what a good guest I was at your wedding.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it's important. Absolutely, But also you.
Speaker 2: Know, obviously our podcast is about nostalgia, so we asked you to come in with kind of an idea of something nostalgic that you wanted to talk about, and you gave us just you know, maybe gave us an amazing list of commercials and toys and products, And the one that we settled on that we were really impressed that you had thought of was lean pockets.
Speaker 4: Really impressed that to me is like you are impressed that I thought of that, but it's almost like, wow, we're really impressed that you thought of that for nostalgia. Nostalgia nostalgia because it's like that isn't necessarily a nostalgic thing. It's something that exists now. It's not like something from I mean a lot of those things from our childhood still exist, right, But I don't know if somebody would be like, oh, remember lean pockets.
Speaker 1: I have a couple. I mean, why lean pockets over hot pockets seems like the obvious choice.
Speaker 4: Of course that is, that's like, yeah, that's what everybody gets excited about. Lean pockets are kind of but that's what we were allowed to have in our house. My mom was a health nut. We had like the healthy choice reduced fat stuff, you know, non fat all that, which was like a huge which that is because that was a huge crazy yes snack wells. Yeah, that was the thing that people all these diet foods and and so we were allowed to have lean pockets, and I like that was like the best healthy, healthy snack that we were allowed to have in the house. So like after school having a lean pocket was was amazing because like that was about as far as I could get in the house, you know, like closest to what I wanted, which was like fake cheese and like like basically you know, a little pizza. I think we had the ham and.
Speaker 3: Cheese ones got it, got it.
Speaker 4: And not I mean not the pepperoni, although sometimes we did. And like it was just I just remember those little the pockets that they the microwave sleep eve. Yeah, you would put it in, like put it in for two and a half minutes, and I would take that hop that lean pocket and like watch some TV after school, and that was that that gooey, that gooey little pocket of cheese was like really, I don't know, it was just the the height of after school snacking for me, you know, and like which which combines with like the TV shows and like, yeah, it's like that seventh grade, eighth grade because it's also kind of an adultish snack. You know, it's not cheese and crackers, I.
Speaker 3: Guess, right, right, right, So it's like.
Speaker 4: The sophisticated version of the healthy snacks that we were allowed in the house when I was a kid.
Speaker 1: What makes it healthier than a hot pocket? Do you know?
Speaker 4: That's a good question. And I did want to do a little bit of research on the lean pockets before I came in here, but I didn't. I came in here blind.
Speaker 2: I think they're just lower in calories, Like I think it's just what they put in them, is they They're just like there are certain there and there's I look this up, there's seven grams of fat in them, which remember in the nineties, like we didn't really think about I don't even know, honestly, I don't know if they're lowering calories. I just know they're lowering fat. And that was the thing in the nineties was like you could you could have as many calories and as much sugar and stuff as you wanted, but you just couldn't have grams of fat in it, right, Which is.
Speaker 4: So which is so wrong, Which is the opposite of what people say now, which is like, yeah, fat as healthy, Yeah there's good fats, and yeah they help you, and yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, Beck, we have some bad news, bad news, oh god, and that is that lean pockets were discontinued in twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Oh shit.
Speaker 2: Now if you're mad, oh god, if you're upset back, you are not alone. If you go on the Hot Pockets Facebook or Twitter, people are furious.
Speaker 3: People are so mad.
Speaker 4: They should be. Yeah, like, what did they Is there a reason out there for why they discontinued.
Speaker 1: I guess they weren't. They were not bringing in enough sales about hot pockets apparently went up a lot during the pandemic. People were loving them, but I just, yeah, it didn't work.
Speaker 4: Wow, that is so sad for all those people who still depended on lean pockets for their healthy snack. Yeah, that is I mean it makes sense because that whole I feel like in the past couple of years, the health trend of healthy fats or whatever is like, you know, maybe they just don't make sense anymore, and people just aren't buying those things to like, if they're trying to stay in shape or something, they're not buying lean pockets to stay in shape anymore.
Speaker 2: Our producer Doug just said it's number three on the list of best products discontinued, which must be a pretty recent list because they were just discontinued. I wonder, Doug, who made this list.
Speaker 1: You know, I also have a bit of a conspiracy theory because Lean Pockets and Hot Pockets are owned by Nessley. Yesty also owns a Li Cuisine who makes Lin Cuisine pizzas. I don't know, seems a little.
Speaker 2: Bit, but what is the conspiracy theory that they own all three?
Speaker 1: No, maybe they wanted to push these Lin Cuisine pizzas, so they were like, we don't need to compete with ourselves.
Speaker 3: Right right, right, right right.
Speaker 4: Maybe they're maybe like the way that they're making the lean Lin Cuisine pizzas, the profit margin is higher, so they're like, discontinue these pockets, we want the regular pizzas exactly.
Speaker 2: I think like it's I read something where like in twenty eleven or something, they realized like they weren't selling as well, so they cut out the kinds of certain Lean pockets got discontinued because they're dope. There's like more dough in them, so they're more maybe it was like the cal zones or something. There's more dough in them, so they're more expensive to make, which that dough doesn't seem super high end.
Speaker 4: No, no, you have by expensive, they're like this thing costs five cents to make and it's too much. We can't afford it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's also there was a Philly cheese steak lean pocket, like, Yeah, did you ever try that one back?
Speaker 4: Yes? I did, I remember that one? Yeah you do? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Was it good?
Speaker 4: It was? It was all right. It wasn't my favorite. I like the I like the cheese and ham, yeah, because that was a big, like a big thing that I still like and loved as a kid. And I didn't put this on the list because I loved fake cheese like I loved like American cheese. And we were definitely not allowed to have that in the.
Speaker 3: House really, even the Craft singles.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, absolutely not your mom. So ahead of the game, end of the game. Everyone was just eating crap back then, and no one.
Speaker 2: Knew well to sar Jonah and I don't want to throw our mom under the but she was very healthy too.
Speaker 3: We mostly had healthy food in our.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had a lot of pizza rollso and like and that's okay.
Speaker 4: That's okay. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess I didn't even notice it because Jonah was the only one who ate that stuff.
Speaker 3: I guess in our dad was the.
Speaker 4: Only one who ate that crap.
Speaker 1: Do you remember at what point our dad was going to buy a gyro company. Yes, like like like euro some people say gyro. I don't know, I don't know what the right pronunciation is. But he was going to buy this company that made them. So he got tons of thick the bread and the sauce and the meat in this freezer we kept in the garage and like a year's worth, and I would just make them all the time.
Speaker 4: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: We had read so much and I remember I tried to stay away from them because they seemed unhealthy. And I remember once making it and just the bread alone, like the quote unquote Peta was like so it was like so oily. It was just like this big thing, like it was so gray. We did we had like a year.
Speaker 1: So I mean, you do you eat one of those who washed it down with the peach snapple and you're good.
Speaker 4: To go, Oh my gosh, that is so cool, like just like to be the kid in whatever grade you are to be like, yeah, we got year's fly on the fridge. You want like that is? You are so cool?
Speaker 3: With Jonna, we never really talked about how crazy that was. We had so much of it.
Speaker 2: We had another thing that our dad almost did, and I remember telling I remember telling ingrid Olson about it on the bus. Is he almost at one point, this is very brief, he almost bought like a franchise, like a regional franchise of I think it was Baskin Robbins.
Speaker 1: Or Dunkin Donuts.
Speaker 3: Dunkin Donuts, yeah, Dunkin Donuts.
Speaker 2: And I remember being on the bus with Ingerdolson and I was like, I was like, this is a secret, but my dad might buy.
Speaker 3: Duncan donuts and she was like, was like yeah, because I thought I thought he was.
Speaker 2: He was going to buy all of Duncan, Like I thought we were gonna be like phoning Duncan donuts.
Speaker 1: Well, he was gonna have to go this donut university. You have to go for like three weeks or something to learn how to actually make the donuts, like the whole You have to get up at like two am, like hents, Yeah, you have to go away.
Speaker 3: He was gonna have to go every year, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something like that. But you know what's so crazy is the Duncannots he was going to buy was in this town called soul in, Ohio. And I hung out at the Dunkin Donuts When I was like fifteen sixteen with all these punk kids, we would like hang out outside and this is how long ago people used to smoke cigarettes inside And it was like a bunch of teenagers wow. And they banned indoor smoking because smoke was getting into the donuts and we thought, kids were like, this is fascism. You can't tell us about to smoke inside of a restaurant. This is insane, Like it was such a foreign concept to not be able to smoke inside of like a restaurant.
Speaker 4: Right where they are making, yeah, where they're making, just filling it with smoke.
Speaker 2: It's also so funny because my friends would all go to this place called Coffee and Creations. It was like hat like cappuccinos and latches and stuff, and that was like, I feel like so dorky to you, but you guys were going to Dunkin Donuts, which feels like kind of yeah.
Speaker 4: It sounds like cuter like thet because it's like that is that is a bakery, that's right, cute pastry shop. Like my friends would go to uh like a cap like a big cafe and get like fries and grilled cheese and coffee and smoked cigarettes and like a booth. Right, Like that's like, yeah, I never did that. I was a smoker.
Speaker 3: But where did you go?
Speaker 4: I don't know, Like honestly, I think in high school I was so and I don't I haven't fully unpacked this, but like, I was always busy after school. It was always like play rehearsal or practice for like a sport. I was fine.
Speaker 3: Did you go to college for theater?
Speaker 4: Did you to? I did. I got my Bachelor of Fine Arts a BFAH in acting at USC.
Speaker 3: I don't think I knew that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wow, I'm a trained actor, trained dramatic actor whoa drama. I went to London for one semester.
Speaker 1: Shakespeare, Yes, you went to the Globe.
Speaker 4: I went to the Globe.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 4: And I studied there by myself, no teachers, okay, just I found I found plays and I just spoke them in the streets of London, like Shakespeare of old.
Speaker 2: You are such a good actor back, and it makes sense that you were classically trained in London.
Speaker 4: Lodge in that, right, chat man, some of us.
Speaker 3: Can do accents and didn't get to do it. Almost show very much.
Speaker 4: You do great accents.
Speaker 1: Come on that was so.
Speaker 4: Great, right.
Speaker 3: Then going from the thing.
Speaker 2: But to go back to your high school slash middle school place you hung it sounds like, you know, Jonah was at Dunkey Donuts.
Speaker 3: I was at coffee and Creations. You were at home having a lean pocket.
Speaker 4: I was at home having a lean pocket in like seventh and eighth grade. And then usually after that, like high school was like never home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you were never Oh right, you were never home. That's right, that's right.
Speaker 4: I don't think I had a Yeah, if anything, it would be like Friday in front of the school. Yeah, like maybe hanging out and seeing where people were going. Yeah, I don't know, like I would just yeah, and then going to somebody's house. You know.
Speaker 2: Jonah used to when we would get home from school. We had two TV's in our house. We had one in our living room and one upstairs in my parents' room. Cool, and Jonah would and I would want to be in the living room going on that. We had a treadmill in the living room, and so Jonah would be like watching TV in the living room, and I'd be like, Jonah, can you go upstairs and watch TV in mom and Dad's room so that I can run on the treadmill and like I would watch like music videos like I basically it would be and he would be like he would be like he would be like, only if you make me a snack. So I'd have to like make him like if we had lean pockets at that time, it would have been so much easier. So I'd have to like make him a sandwich and like a whole thing. Oh, to get him to go upstairs.
Speaker 4: I mean that's that's actually like that's really sort of decent sibling behaviors, Like, yeah, you know, I will do this for you, but you got to give me something, not like no, I'm not going to go do what the it is.
Speaker 1: The TV upstairs is a lot smaller. In my defense, Yeah, I'm not saying I'm not saying that was the right way to handle it, but I mean it wasn't like, you know, it was different. It's different viewing experience.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think that's that's decent. It's like I'm gonna I'm gonna sacrifice my viewing experience for you. Let's make it a little bit better. I'll get a snap to go with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you're really Jonah's coming off pretty great.
Speaker 1: In this.
Speaker 4: Nice guy, What kind of snack would you make for him? Like, what was a classic snack? Just a sandwich?
Speaker 3: I think it was usually a sandwich, right, Jonah.
Speaker 1: I don't. I actually don't really remember this, but it doesn't say I totally believe that this is what happened.
Speaker 2: I bet there was some kind of a hot pocket or maybe pizza rolls or something.
Speaker 1: I like those red barre and pizzas. You remember those? Oh yeah, yeah, those are really good?
Speaker 3: Those still exist?
Speaker 1: Does still exist?
Speaker 4: I like then? Was my favorite kind of pizza frozen pizza?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh, speaking of which I mean obviously the Djorno commercials are very very well.
Speaker 4: Iconic.
Speaker 2: Is it's they're basically like, it's the same as delivery.
Speaker 4: It's not delivery, is it?
Speaker 2: But we Jonah and I were looking at the lean pockets commercials and the premise of them is all the same, which I don't know if you remember it, which is basically that there's a guy eating a lean pocket and then his wife or partner who's a woman, says, honey, did you see my lean pockets? And then the guy is shocked that what he's eating is actually a lean pocket and not a hot pocket. But he's enjoying it so much that he hides from the woman and acts like he's never seen it.
Speaker 1: And he's always doing something very masculine, like fixing the pipe.
Speaker 3: You know, the logic is not it's so illogical.
Speaker 2: I was saying to Jona earlier today, like the idea that this guy doesn't know he's at first is shocked to hear that he's eating a lean pocket when he had to open the box that says lean pockets. Look at the instruction, see how long he's supposed to microwave it for eat it, and he's surprised.
Speaker 3: Like was he closing his eye? And also the idea that like it's.
Speaker 2: Just so Jonah was pointing out, it's just so like it's so weirdly like gender that it's like only it's the woman's lean pocket and the guy's like eating it by accident, but he's enjoying it so much that he has to hide from her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, guys, it's like, okay, guys, to eat a pocket, you could still be a.
Speaker 4: Man, right. And it's also like it's saying like this is for women, like it's it's still like going towards women, being like this is this is for you women, but also like guys, pretty cool too, win win for both of you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly exactly.
Speaker 4: Look at that cheese and me coming out of that pastry dough puff thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, So see she's looking for it, she can't find it. He's under and he's the he's fixing the thing. He's under the sink eating a lean pocket, which just like do one then do the other have your snack after you fix the sink. So he's under there and he's like, I can't believe it's a lean pocket, right, and then it's a commercial for a lean pocket, and he's like trying to eat it really quickly, and he's pretending he hasn't seen it. Oh, she's looking through the drain. She sees him. She's like knows what he's up to.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: There's another one where the woman for the meatballs in Mozzarella, where she's looking all over the kitchen. He's sitting in front of the TV.
Speaker 3: And also it's like.
Speaker 2: He can't Also she's like shaking the box. She's like, what happened to lean pocket? It's like, well, there's one other human in your house.
Speaker 4: And it's like there's almost kind of two things having is why is he hiding it because he doesn't want to get caught. But that doesn't have anything to do with He's not like, oh, I'm not a chick. I don't want to be caught, right. That's like not, that's not what is being insinuated.
Speaker 2: It's like these are her lean pockets, like she bought them, the one for her, and.
Speaker 4: The lean pockets are for the woman and for the guy to be a little sneaky, little bastard and take them away from her.
Speaker 1: Like the guy's not just like, oh yeah, this is actually pretty good, like I was hungry, you know. He's just like nope, haven't seen him around, Like I'm just gonna lie, just gonna lie to your face.
Speaker 4: It's like it's like the women are like like I could see women being like, look, I bought the fucking lean pockets for myself, and the ads are telling husbands it's okay, they don't buy them. He's too embarrassed to check out with the lean pockets, so I have to buy the lean pockets because I want them, and then he eats them. They're really setting up a problem here for American couple. Couple trying to cohabitate.
Speaker 2: My biggest issue, though, is the fact that the guy acts like he didn't know they were lean poets, Like he's genuinely surprised when she says, like, where are my lean pockets?
Speaker 3: And it's like, how did you not know you made them?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there should be something else in there commenting on how dumb the guy is, like another thing, like really like nailing it home, like a little button.
Speaker 1: Like like like I ate the box or something yes, or like yeah, yeah, yeah, I hate the box like I love Yeah, that would be good.
Speaker 2: I also want to do a shout out to my fans about the Totino's commercials, which obviously there's some overlap.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely some overlap. And I'm in those commercials' and.
Speaker 3: You're in those commercials.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but those are those are kind of making fun of the gender thing of those snacks, But those are those are the pizza rolls. I don't know if pizza rolls, if Totinos ever came out with like a diet pizza rolls.
Speaker 3: And sorry that I said. I wanted to do a shout out to my fans.
Speaker 2: I was saying it as a bit, but then I didn't follow it with like a strong enough like thing for it to seem funny.
Speaker 3: So it seems like I was saying that seriously.
Speaker 4: And you should be able to hit this podcast. You should always be able to say shout out to my fans and something that you've done or been in. Yeah, right, type of thing, and you never have to explain it. That should be like, yeah, you're welcome. Yeah, I give that to you.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're going to take a quick commercial breaker.
Speaker 3: We rive back with the favorite of all time back Bennett.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, welcome back back now.
Speaker 3: Are you ready to come? And Jonah, how are you doing? Just want to check in.
Speaker 1: I'm doing great. I'm really excited for this next segment you're about to introduce.
Speaker 4: Yeah, me too. I don't even know what it is. Let's go, let's do it.
Speaker 3: Okay, here's what we're gonna do. We're gonna play a game with you called nostalgia.
Speaker 7: No no, no, no, no, no, no, no no, no nostalgia or nostalgia y'all stall ja okay, And we're going to bring up nostalgic products, shows, et cetera that are kind of making a comeback now and if you're into them, you're going to give them.
Speaker 3: A y'all, stall jaw and if you're not into them, you're going to give them a no.
Speaker 4: Nostalgia Okay, wait, no, wait, how do you say nostalgia? Stall?
Speaker 3: I Saystalgia, but you can say Stalgia if you want.
Speaker 4: That's my Chicago coming up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're from Cleveland, so we love you know, we love a Midwestern accent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sharpe a shock?
Speaker 5: Is that what it is?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Like Colorado or like I guess those are o's.
Speaker 2: All I remember is that when this this one woman was selling our house. I can't remember her name, but she she was selling our house and she left this she left this message or on our voicemail of my parents' house that had such a strong Midwestern accent that we saved it and we do it all the time because she was like she would say stuff like my blabia and she'd be like, yeah, I think the house is gonna like I can't even do the whole thing, but it was so funny that we saved it.
Speaker 4: We played it over and over, so fun I missed that about like voice machine answering machine.
Speaker 2: I know you could just save someone's message and listen to it and laugh. I think our parents still have one anyway. Okay, so the first thing that is making a comeback is dunk a Ruse. Dunk a Ruse, the small cookies with the miniature tubs of dippable frosting. Our backyestalgia, yes, algia.
Speaker 4: R yes algia. I love dunk Ruse, love them. They were hard to find. The dipping area for the dunk a roo is so deep. You have frosting left.
Speaker 3: Over after all, right, it is really deep.
Speaker 4: It's deep like versus the ritz which I loved with the little little red, little spreadable knife that came in it. Oh yeah yeah, yes, crackers, the cheese dip. I could have used more cheese.
Speaker 2: Dip, yeah, Dunker Ruse did. It was a really deep well of frosting. And you know they're bringing back the same exact ingredients. They're not changing anything. Great, So same cookie, same frosting. They went away in twenty twelve, which you may or may not know. They disappeared in twenty twelve, so they've been They stayed around for a long time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, around for a while. I knew that they disappeared.
Speaker 3: They disappeared into that now they disappeared from Canada in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 4: Why you asked yeah, why what happened?
Speaker 2: Well, because I guess the US, the US part of General Mills was really pushing healthier snacks, so they were like, this is but apparently this has been in the works for a while because people have been furious, I mean, assuming that it's going to be the same with lean pockets. It's like if people give you enough guff about your snack going away.
Speaker 4: And now people have a voice with the Internet, they can rally together, get a get a petition going change dot org. Yeah, get on there and make yeah, and get their snacks back and.
Speaker 3: Get their snacks back.
Speaker 2: And apparently there was a tweet that Kim Kardashian did a couple of years ago where she is like, I missed Dunkaruz so much, and they use that to like when they were saying they were coming back, which that's you know, if you want to have a great company and a great and do a great job, you got to have that marketing element.
Speaker 3: You got to be now and.
Speaker 2: Bring back something from the nineties. That's great, we miss it, but make it now. But use Kim Kardashian any everybody's.
Speaker 4: Happen, Yeah, put her on there. All you need is a tweet from Ki Kardashian she gets you get any snack back she wants just say I want this snack bag. Way take it.
Speaker 3: Smart move by Kim Gardashian.
Speaker 2: Now she's probably got her Probably her home is full of She's probably got a year supply of free dunkar rooz.
Speaker 7: Oh my.
Speaker 4: Yeah. When I see that show, Jesse will watch it and like Jesse, my wife, the glass containers that they have with oreos stecked up? Do you see? I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't watch it regular.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like so many bags of oreos in there. It's crazy, and it's like you don't eat those cookies. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, well maybe it'll be so many things of dunker Ruse, but we won't know because the show's ending, and so that really stinks for everybody.
Speaker 4: It really stinks for the dunker Ruse resurgence.
Speaker 3: Jonah. And how do you feel about it, Johannah?
Speaker 1: Are you? I never really ate them, but I feel like I think it's Yeah, I mean why not. I like the fact that they're not changing them. I like the fact they're just bringing it back. They're not trying to add like Keen want. Yeah, I like I like to bring it back. Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's I think that's right. You're less of a sweets person, so I think it never was like a huge snack for you.
Speaker 1: But I like that. I like, you know what's interesting though, I've gotten more into sweets as an adult, like of like, yeah, you have to. I never really cared about it in my twenties and and now I feel like I'm always one with my wife, like we should get ice cream or like we should you know, like I'm now shocking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love like a little pastry with my coffee, like I like a little dirt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jonah, way to catch up to the rest of the Bayers. Because we've been eating desserts for years. You'd always be like Joana would always be like, I don't want dessert, and we'd be like, is he from this family?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: And he'd be like like maybe at the restaurant. You'd be like, go sit over there with another family, get out of here, you go get to have dessert wherever a dessert family.
Speaker 1: We'd be out in New York when I visited when I was living in New York, and we'd go to like a like a store by like by m Yu or something that's jany. Do you want all these cookies? You want four cookies for you? You really want to I'd be like, yeah, this is what I want.
Speaker 4: I don't know how use like this.
Speaker 2: My first few years on SNL, I lived in this building that was really like basically on NYU's campus, and so I would go buy snacks at this bodega that was all students, and Jonah be like, We'd be like, oh man, we have to go study.
Speaker 4: This sucks.
Speaker 2: And I'd be like, Tony, you want to buy all these cookies for studying? And I was like, okay, if it helps you with your homework, and then we buy all these cookies the whole time the room.
Speaker 3: I just did a similar I just I just did a similar thing.
Speaker 1: I do. I still do it. I was, I was.
Speaker 2: I had my first Livene cookies in New York and and I I was, I was there briefly back I didn't see you there because I needed to you there here?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And.
Speaker 2: And I was with our you know America do you know America? America were there and I was like, America, which cookies do you want?
Speaker 3: You want three? And I was like, God, just for me.
Speaker 4: Right there, she's dancing you want three and she's like no, It's like, okay, I'll get you.
Speaker 3: She was like, yes, Vanessa, I want that. And I was like, and Marika, do you want this flavor too?
Speaker 1: And she was like, yeah, I do.
Speaker 3: I've been really lucky.
Speaker 2: Because all my friends and family who've done this with me have really played along.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a really good move. I'm gonna try that in the future, the Vanessa the Vanessa dessert hack exactly.
Speaker 1: But I do feel that the the NYU thing we would. I felt like, if we're in this space, we had to pretend we're students even though we're so much older and everyone needs your brain food and we'd be like, I got this final exand tomorrow it's gonna be so hard, and we talked super loud, these guys are up to something.
Speaker 2: What I thought you were going to say is I remember I would order in insomnia cookies and I didn't which were like these delivery cookies that you'd get like in a pizza box, and I didn't want people to know it was me in case they recognize my name, so I would order them to Jonah Bayer at my apartment, so it would always so if anyone was like suspicious, they'd be like if they ever took the time to think through it, which I think it was just all Stoners who worked there, but they would.
Speaker 3: Be like, oh, Jonah Beyer's ordering.
Speaker 4: Her brother was there ordering them. If it was like a full pseudonym, like a fake name, they'd be like, she's embarrassed about the cookie ordering and she's ordering on a fake name. But yeah, this, yeah, this is better.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So what about Evan Essay? Yeah that's a nostalgi Yes.
Speaker 3: I love junk a Ruse. You know I love Dunker Ruse, love them.
Speaker 1: All right, great, so next one we got this is an interesting piece of news, a little punk tie in. Actually, uh, horror fan a fiicionado, Rob Zombie is directing a Monster's reboot. He announced this on Instagram. He wrote, attention boils and Ghouls. The rumors are true. My next film project would be the one I've been chasing for twenty years. The Monsters stay tuned for exciting these as things progress. And then I made this joke that looks like he's been chasing something called shampoo for the last twenty years as well.
Speaker 3: Good one, Johanna, thank you.
Speaker 1: Although, to be honest, I was a huge white Zombie fan in the nineties. I did see them Jesus Co headline tour with the Ramones, and I really, I actually really do like white zombies, So I feel kind of bad about that joke. I think he actually has a pretty cool look, so I made him was jealous that he has so much more hair than me.
Speaker 3: I know there's legal rules around using songs, but did he sing the song thoughing like this more human than human? More human than human?
Speaker 1: Probably? I think that is so far from what the song sounds like that we could definitely use that. Yeah, yeah, so yeah, that's more human than human. They had that Thunderciss sixty five song that didn't and they had a bunch of big songs in that era there were they were actually were a very cool band. And then he's had a huge solo career. But Beck, what do you think of And he's also directed a ton of horror movies.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Trust the list of horror movies, and now I'm not a horror movie person. I don't I don't see them, although back I think I saw Get Out with You really, yeah, I think we.
Speaker 3: Saw in theaters together.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's right, and that was one of the that's one of the scariest movies I've ever seen. Because I really highly avoid scary movies.
Speaker 3: I did like it a lot. I thought it was great.
Speaker 4: I like movies like Get Out, Cabin in the Woods, Drag Me to Hell, Like I like.
Speaker 3: I just made a face.
Speaker 4: They're like they're like they're horror movies, but they're not. They don't rely on gore. Yeah, some of them might have a little bit, but it's like they're creative and they're you know, they're like their genre e more than horror, I would say sometimes. But yeah, I walked. I was like in a movie theater. I missed the movies, remember the movies, and I like, I was there earlier something you know, walked into uh think the Something Rejects, Hell's Rejects. Yeah, and I watched some of it and I was like, maybe me so uncomfortable. It's kind of like Texas Chainsaw Massacre style.
Speaker 1: And I was like, yeah, so his vibe is more like I think, like the really gory kind of classic yeah part of movies. So, so, Beck, would you did you ever watch the Monsters? Growing up?
Speaker 4: Never watched the Monsters, and so that's a it's I gotta say, it's a nostalgia for me, mm hmm, because it doesn't it just doesn't. It doesn't do anything for me. You know, I might like it, but it does. It's a nostalgia for me because I didn't watch the Monsters, don't really know what they are.
Speaker 2: I realized, I really, I mean, and they were saying there's going to be an Adams Family reboot from Tim Burton, right, yeah too, So I always confuse the Monsters. I always assume they're the Adams Family, and then I realized that they're not.
Speaker 3: And what a great story, what a.
Speaker 4: Great story to have to like bring up to the pod. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I think think that's a good point because apparently the Monsters and the Adams Family the Munsters only aired for two years, but the Munster and the n Family aired at the exact same time. Oh so they almost had like the same premise at the exact same time. So it's understandable why you'd confused those. But I think that Adams familer is a lot more kind of popular as far as I impact on pop culture.
Speaker 2: Although when I was really excited when I looked up the Monsters that the Herman Monster, the dad was played by Fred Gwynn, who was the judge in My Cousin Vinnie.
Speaker 1: Oh, who was so good.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you guys remember that, but he was so good in My Cousin Vinnie and so what a storied career.
Speaker 3: And I but truly truly, but but yeah, I don't think. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know that there's like a real appetite for the monsters, especially like if an Adam's family read. But it is coming out, but I wonder if it will be similar to like Rob Zombie stuff in general, where it's like he has his following of people who like, Yeah, and is.
Speaker 4: It a TV show or is it a movie?
Speaker 3: It's a movie, I think.
Speaker 2: But it's going to be on they think it will be on Peacock because of it's owned by like something some studio by Universal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I'll have to tone it down so maybe it'll be yeah, easier for like mass consumption. I guess. I think his movies are a little like I know, he's a movie house of a thousand corpses. I think his movies are a little more fringy. But I think his fans, and I think it fits his whole aesthetic.
Speaker 4: Yeah. You know, we're talking about two kooky, spooky families, and I feel like with Rob he might go more spooky than kooky. Yeah. Yes, but you know what makes it work is the balance and that the family dynamics.
Speaker 1: So yeah, spooky.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I also wonder what took twenty years for him to be able to do it.
Speaker 4: He's a question. I would love to see you ask him like that. I wonder what took twenty years for you to do this?
Speaker 3: I wonder if it's a licensing thing.
Speaker 1: I don't know. We should have wrapped down the on the show for sure.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that'd be great. Yeah, talk about it. That would be a scary episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I worked with him. I didn't work directly with him. I worked on an award show that he was a part of, but I didn't get to meet him. But I got to work with the singer Slipknod, who gave him an award.
Speaker 4: Okay, cool, nice it was.
Speaker 1: Corey, the singer for Slipnod. He's just very nice. He's very kind of He's written a bunch of books too. He's a he's a pretty pretty Yeah. He's like just kind of a mild manner, kind of regular guy.
Speaker 4: You never know, a lot of punk people are right metal people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: You know Jonah's friend Jeff Rosenstock, who's who's a musician. His sister Kim, who's a friend of mine, always says like Jeff is like one of the nicest people in the world because he gets a lot of his like any of his like aggression or whatever he gets out in his ka, which Jonah could say the same thing about you. Who could be a more gentle soul than my brother Jonah?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, thank you, thank you?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. Jeff and Jeff's newest record, No Dream, is it a great record as an aside, and he just put out a SKA version of his record called sty Dream where he recorded all the songs sky versions.
Speaker 4: Wow. Yeah, nineties nineties music is coming back, Yeah for sure. Big.
Speaker 1: So just just to recap about this, this, yes, nostalgia. So we got a nostalgia from back.
Speaker 3: A nostalgia from me, Johanah, what do you think.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna This is kind of hard for me because I know, I said I am a fan of Rob Zombie. I'm not a huge Monsters fan, but I'm curious what he would do. I'm going to go with the nostalgia. I think I would probably, I think I would check this out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: Now, our last and final thing that's making a comeback is micro Machines. One of the most popular toy car lines from the nineteen eighties and nineties, Micro Machines is making a comeback. The line of toy cars and sets is returning for the first time in twelve years back.
Speaker 4: I'm going to say, for that's a nostalgia. I can't believe I'm saying. You know, I want to say yes to nostalgia. Nostalgia, But for me, I'm like, first of all, I ain't going to be playing with no cars.
Speaker 2: It seems like it seems like we're I don't know that we're asking if it's like for you personally, but go ahead.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And I also think that like when I was a kid, I remember there was like one like wait, wait, hot wheels are minimals, minimals micro Wait what are we talking about.
Speaker 2: We're talking about micro machines. So they were competitive, they were competitive with hot wheels and all that stuff. And did they transform No, I don't believe they did so, so you're so for like two years, micro machines were more successful than like hot wheels and all the other ones, and micro machines were the tiny ones. And this guy, John Machida Junior Machete did the voiceover who spoke really fast.
Speaker 3: And actually and actually we looked at the picture of him today, he looks a lot like our dad really, yeah, the original And also he won.
Speaker 2: Again his Book of World Records for like fastest Talker and then his record was beat in nineteen ninety and nineteen ninety five. And he has said, like I think on the record, he's on the record. He's said that he doesn't believe. He thinks there's like he's not sure.
Speaker 1: That he questions the legitimacy.
Speaker 2: He questions the legitimate legitimacy, which is very like our dad when he questions the legitimacy of people saying that they were named Todd before. Oh yeah, so there's like a lot of parallels with our guy. But those are the tiny ones, and actually they tried to bring them back for like different movie releases and stuff, and people only like them when they're like the classic cars.
Speaker 3: That's like what makes them the most.
Speaker 4: Oh, okay, and do they do they have like a little track that they fly on or are they going solo?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's the big thing with them is that like they have this set, they have this world called sorry that I wasn't a big dork growing up, so I don't know that.
Speaker 1: I'm just kidding.
Speaker 4: They have this world called I'm looking at him.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 4: Oh, you know what, that's a nostalgia for me. Wow, I take it back. I like little things. I mean we all like little things. Right, there's a show right now, the show that's on TV about like little sets and stuff. I think, yeah, I would be into this, Oh, micromachines, Supervan City place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Supervan City that's the name of it. Supervan City. People were really into and so they're bringing it back. That's part of the reason I think people love micro machines is because they came with these sets.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think I think I'm into that. That's a yes. I mean, like my first thought is that, like I for that sort of thing. I would I would rather play with legos, I think as a kid, and I still like legos, but I think micro machines are a nostalgia for me. I think that's fine. I like little worlds and the big the big sets like the micro machine or not micro machines or hot wheels whatever, those sets, I don't know, doesn't do it for me. I think that they're too they're too big to really have fun with them. When something's small, though.
Speaker 2: It's cute to it's so cute, and that guy talking so fast, I really associate him with micro machines.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, what about you, guys, are you yes or nostalgia?
Speaker 2: I'm a nostalgia, but I don't I don't have kids. Yeah, at the moment that I know of, just kidding, that's not a joke that would give me.
Speaker 4: Somewhere. But I think I think it's definitely a funnier show guys making that joke.
Speaker 2: In some ways, it's very similar to the thing in the in the Lean Pockets commercial where the guys like these are lean pockets.
Speaker 3: It's like, yeah, you made them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you would have to. You would have to know if you had a child, you would know I would make them.
Speaker 2: Anyways, I would think the only thing that I would say about micro machines is I don't really know exactly how small they are, but I would be worried about them being lightly a choking hazard for it, like they might be kind of a little bit of an issue with small kids.
Speaker 4: See, and I worry about them being also a hazard for the parents of the children stepping on them all over the house because they got wheels and they're moving around. Yeah. Yeah, so there's that, you know, there's that.
Speaker 2: But I think overall, I would say nostalgia because they are very cute. And look, that guy is still around, and I'm sure he'd.
Speaker 3: Love to prove like our dad, he'd like to prove that he can still talk really fast.
Speaker 4: But what if he doesn't have it anymore? He does he does, I would see him come back more than anything. I want to see that guy that voiceover I was come back.
Speaker 3: I think he's doing great. And he looks so much like our dad.
Speaker 4: And he looks so much like your dad, which I guess he.
Speaker 2: Always in some ways did, but he's really grown in to have a similar look. Now our dad will hear this and look him up, and maybe I don't know what our Dad's reaction will be.
Speaker 3: Jonah, what do you think.
Speaker 1: I mean? He's basically like a guy without a lot of hair with the mustaches, is basically what I look like also, so I feel like we can just fast forward maybe forty years. It's a similar it's a similar kind.
Speaker 4: Of look, Joe, I really hope your dad looks exactly like you. I'd be honest, but.
Speaker 1: I would say I'll give it a nostalgia. I mean, I don't. I don't feel super super strongly about it either way, but sure, why not?
Speaker 4: This kind of feels like a medium stylega maybe yeah, sure, that's how I feel for all of us.
Speaker 1: I think like this is going to make me sound maybe kind of judgmental, but I think at least it's like an actual thing kids will play with versus like a screen or something like. At least you're doing sort moving around using your imagination, you know, not having technology do all the work for you.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And what I would like, which I feel like, is never really like all those like I was looking for, like hot wheels, toys for my nephew and stuff, and I feel like they always have like a very specific track. But what I think would be cool is if they could have a track sort of like Legos, where you could build a track and like have this whole set and like put a car at the top and see it go through the whole course. I think that would be really fun. So if they're listening, I don't know, that could be a really good idea.
Speaker 3: I do think that super Van's world or whatever whatever. I don't know.
Speaker 4: You were in a door crowd up.
Speaker 3: So it's a thing where I.
Speaker 2: Do think it is a cool thing where like you open it up and it's almost like, you know, like when you get those like cards where it's like you open up the greeting card and it's like three D.
Speaker 3: It's like I think they have like, yeah, that's what it is. It's called bump.
Speaker 2: I think they have sort of pop up worlds in a cool way. Now I don't quote me on that, like when you're flying, because I.
Speaker 1: Might be wrong.
Speaker 4: Vanessa Beyer I have a quote from her that says that these pop up and they are all sorts of different worlds.
Speaker 3: Well, guys, that's why I said not to do.
Speaker 4: But also she's not sure because she wasn't a huge door grown up. Do you guys have that stuff that's gonna happen and you're gonna get in trouble on the internet.
Speaker 3: They're gonna come out, you know, and I you know what it's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: I'll probably get free micro machines because I said the nostalgia.
Speaker 4: Yes, and you're gonna become a microhead. Oh man, oh brother, oh sister.
Speaker 3: Well we should say at the end of yeah, yeah, you should.
Speaker 2: Say brother, brother, oh sister.
Speaker 3: That sounded that sounded like too much like quakery.
Speaker 4: I agree, I agree.
Speaker 3: Great, we'll pack. This has been just just a delight.
Speaker 4: Well, Vanini, I have had so much fun, Jonah, Janini, Uh, this is was an absolute pleasure. You guys are sweet, smart, funny, warm little hugs.
Speaker 2: Hey, Beck, we're a rubber, you're glue. Whatever you say bounces off of us, and Land's right square on you works for me.
Speaker 4: Well, thanks for having me you guys as well.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Thanks so much for being here.
Speaker 3: Thank you to everyone who listened. Thank you to Beck.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're welcome now.
Speaker 2: Everybody, please keep a lookout for next week's episode of How Did We Get Weird, where we'll discuss more stories from childhood and Jonah, is there anything you want to say about Lean Pockets?
Speaker 1: Yeah, rip Lean Pockets.
Speaker 4: We're going to miss you, Rip Lean Pockets. Thank you for all that you did for me and my childhood. Thank thank you.
Speaker 2: We don't rest
Speaker 1: Time A very