Speaker 1: Wake that answer up in the morning. Breakfast Club, yep's the most dangerous morning show to Breakfast Club, Charlamagne and God.
Speaker 2: Just hilarious.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the hell envy is at. But we got a special guest. Man. He's got a new show coming out on Netflix called The Vince Staples Show. Vince Staples is hell.
Speaker 2: I'm doing. I'm going good.
Speaker 1: How y'all doing healthy? Man?
Speaker 2: Hey man, I'm trying to stay that way, but I'm getting old.
Speaker 1: So, you know, with vegan or something.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, sound it like.
Speaker 1: You used to look bad or something.
Speaker 2: It was a little different. It was a little different, a little grinder.
Speaker 1: I guess, how are you though?
Speaker 2: I'm good, bro, I'm grateful, I'm blessed all the good ship. So I'm good.
Speaker 1: You know you're not. You're tired as hell. It's early in the morning.
Speaker 2: I'm tired, so I'll be up early though. So it's really not that crazy just to run around, you know, the press circuit type situation or so.
Speaker 1: What did the Vince Staple Show about? Man?
Speaker 2: I mean, pretty much, as you know, day to day life and our human experience. I feel like a lot of the times, it's a lot of nuance in a lot of people's lives that we might kind of ignore. You know, we all had those days that we tell people, you know, you wouln't believe shit that happened even today. So just trying to find ways to utilize that and that format, so to say, and kind of attack deeper issues as far as you know, classicism, socialism, violence, our relationships with those things, our relationships with fame, money, things of that nature, and kind of taking a light of approach to kind of the stuff that we deal with day to day that people wouldn't believe because especially when you scape the black community, right, you can tell people the stuff that you see that you might deem is normal, and when you get these other rooms, they don't see it as normal necessarily. So just trying to find a way to shed light on it while keeping it lighthearted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, after that question, because we were watching it and that's what just what is this show about?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was saying, like what because you know, it's not like your typical show.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. It's, like like.
Speaker 3: You said, day to day, and which can one day it could be crazy and then the next day it can be just chill. Like the first episode with like stood out to me, I didn't expect for Homi to die, Like I don't know, I'm kind of oh. The second one but like that was like I go from laughing something like damn, that's that's just how that gon be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's that's life, like you got to think about. So that episode was at leince we're talking about that, right. You know, we've all had different levels of financial gain, and when you have these levels of financial gain, you're getting these other rooms where you realize you don't really got what you think that you have. And a lot of the times us kind of having the door closed in our face. You know, black people are entertaining. It's people that come from a different world. We find solace in the things that we understand, no matter where they come from. So, you know, your friends robbing the bank, which is a negative situation, but you feel comfortable to be in that environment. That could be alcoholism, that can be drugs, that can be streach, that can be the violence, anything that we can kind of connect to when another door is closed. So that kind of represents the bigger statement of that. And also niggas just die sometimes, Yeah, Yeah, so you know, you might you might, you might be this close to opportunity, you might be this close to a situation which will be kind of receiving that loan and starting that business. And it's some traumatic happens, and a response to it is how our responses is when anybody get killed by the police. You know, you put your hands up and stand still. So it's a lot of deeper meaning and a lot of the things we just wanted to show nuanced with.
Speaker 1: It even before that though, because I won't give too much away, which I normally do when I want to. Yes, but but you when you had the opportunity to leave, you realize, even though you was innocent and didn't do nothing, stepping outside that door with the police might have led to you getting killed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean exactly. And it's like a lot of the stuff that brings us trauma and a lot of the stuff that kind of forces uncomfortable conversations for us, other people honestly don't even know about. I didn't have my managers for a long time, and he would I would just tell him certain stuff like I remember, uh, we was on we had a call and I was like, oh yeah, man, like hold on, I gotta go. Like the baby shower got raided and he was like what And then coming back, he was like, what you muther? I was at the homisome baby shower and it got raided, Like dude, they kicked the door and he was like they not supposed to do shit like that, or like we got a meet and then oh man, you gotta build me out real quick. Like I didn't really look at it like it was that crazy until I got older and you realize your circumstances are within the bubble. So I really kind of wanted to think about the thought process of that bubble and how when you're in it, you don't notice what's going on until you leave. So you got to subtle nuance in every episode where it's situations that we deal with specifically in the black community, pacifically kind of an urban background. But when you escape that, that shit makes zero sense. Bro, And now that we kind of further moved and were able to put it on screen, it does feel awkward. It feels uncomfortable a little bit because we don't expect to see these things in these environments, and.
Speaker 1: It's a fair concept just because something is the norm doesn't mean it's normal, not exactly. And I think a lot of our stuff is our norm, but it ain't normal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I took a lot of approach trum mom, you know, Corn Brothers type films, David Lanch, things that the algh history, things that are meant to make you feel uncomfortable, and trying to use it within the guys of comedy. But that was the main, I guess image with what I was trying to convey was contract that's within a composition, because as black people we have contrasts, you know, we have to be all these different things that once our relationship with money, family, fame, is fortune, all that shit is like, it's not really prevalent in other people's communities. So I wanted to make sure I got a chance to kind of show a little bit of that on camera.
Speaker 1: What I love about the second episode too, is you show how most brothers in the hood, even though they may choose a life of crime, they really are intelligent for sure, and they're just doing things to survive. And if it wasn't just for a couple of different circumstances or opportunities between you and them, you could have been them or they could have been.
Speaker 2: You exactly, and I think that's that's understated. Like, also, the relationship with fame within that episode is important because you have, you know, whatever level of success you have, especially work in the musity, you understand the fit on nature of the business and how it's not necessarily what it may seem. But to the world around you, you got everything. You got, every opportunity, you got the other thelimited amount of resource you have. Everything and that pride that they carry don't really translate into the rest of the world because you know, you can go in certain areas where Charlamagne and or might be, you know, the biggest thing that we got in our communities, but once you step out and you try to kind of trail blaze and pave away, they don't give a fuck who we are. And dealing with that is like it's more common in the people that covet us within.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look what you know, I'm a comedian, so the funniest But to me, what's Homie in jail singing?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: That is so funny?
Speaker 3: I wanted to know, though, did you write that or did you let him?
Speaker 2: I wrote it, I wrote it, but it's hilarious. His timing is amazing, like his his his context to kind of know where the joke is is amazing. And as you know, on comedy, like with film, and I feel like within stand ups specifically, it's so much more freedom. It's so much more I guess execution is a lot more important because it ain't it ain't no cutting and you gotta yeah exactly. So within I think film and television, a lot of people might not know where the joke is at, and it's harder to tell the story or convey kind of the mostly trying to convey versus being in a stand up. So it was hard at certain moments to try to figure out how to edit this correctly, how to make sure that it didn't fall flat, but also how to make sure it didn't look like he was kind of cooling. Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It was. It was perfect.
Speaker 2: It was funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah the song, and I'm glad dude just wanted to square up because nowadays you got to have a little bit of that. It seemed like in every program it ain't gonna pitch boosy off, it ain't gonna pitch boosy off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, busy can watch this man with the whole family. It's gonna be good. All the kids can watch bulls. Watch this with the kids. Man, it's not it's not you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: If you was locked, U, would you really act like that with other inmates?
Speaker 2: Bro? So that that episode who we had I mean with we had a mean.
Speaker 1: We had a mean about that episode.
Speaker 2: No, we had a meeting and we had a meaning. I had a mishap traffic ticket. So I had a traffic ticket in jail. Yeah, and it was this dude. It was an important mean so I can't remember who was. It was somebody important and the dude next to me he just kept singing, bro like he wouldn't stop. You know, you're in the tank sound like all or whatever. I feel he could get a two MANU sholdever because I like the nigga ain't gonna beil me out. They take too long, so we's sleep. I'm like, Bro, I'm like, hey, bro, you gotta get him. Not like that. But I was like, hey, bro, like you get the top bunk Like he's like, oh no, I'm not tripping, Bro, Like, ain't nothing like you know, he was cool something already cool. I'm thinking, you know, sometimes niggas be trying to be tough and stuff. So I'm sleep bro. Bro just start humming and like Mike, he got no idea who I am. It ain't like because I ain't like super popping like that. So he just like he just this. He would have done it some matter who was in the cell, which make it worse. And then Bro just like his arm like fall under the thing. He just starts snapping like while he's singing. It's like two o'clock in the morning. He would not stop. Broke, and then Bro leaned out. I was so man. He just leaned over the bunk. He was like, that's all right. I was like, yeah, Bro, that's good, that's good.
Speaker 1: You remember what it was?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll tell you later.
Speaker 1: It was crazy.
Speaker 2: It was crazy, and I'm just like, Bro, like it's two o'clock in the morning. I had a show. I had a lot of looser, so I was like, I got all this stuff and my mom's trying to build like a lot of clues. I got to had a meeting that I missed. I'm a little crazy that I miss I don't even think it came to fruition because of that, But that's kind of when I was still doing a lot at the same time, and the people that you like, I don't know how he had explained them or whatever. I don't I know he didn't tell them what really happened, but he can't know what he's doing. But just like, oh man, what happened? Like yeah, bro, like ship my bad, I missed a meeting, like I had had an engagement. Oh man, what happened? Telling the hommies I was supposed to be in the studio, I was like, yeah, bro, I got I got locked up. And then this dude kept singing to me about the casino. He was like what I'm like, He's like, you're lying. That's what my engineer was like, you lying. He's like brother, He's like, brother, tell me what happened, Like I promise you. My sister was at working subway, I had to go pick up with my mam bad to go give my car. It's like, I'm not supposed to be still living like this at that moment, but it was a very important turning point in my life, and it's kind of a life lesson. So I try to kind of recreate some of these life lessons that were honestly like a little traumatic and be able to kind of poke fun at yourself based on the decisions you make sure to.
Speaker 3: Say, So, your mom is played by Vaness. About Callowie, how is it working with her?
Speaker 2: I love her? She's great.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: She's when you usually work with somebody of that magnitude, you don't expect any extras. You get what I'm saying. But she auditioned for the role because she wanted to, which was crazy, Like I've seen that. I was like, what the fuck? Yeah, So her audition for the role was like just unheard of for a show of my caliber, somebody with my reputation as far as never doing this before. So I was extremely grateful of that. I was grateful that she worked with us on every fastit as far as you know, hair and makeup, all those things is very very intricate, and she kind of led us in a way that she wanted to be able to do how she wanted to be able to do it. The research that she applied, sitting with me asking questions about, you know, my mother's disposition and her thought process and how I will want to play what's important to me. I don't want to do this. I don't know if this is true. If this is true as far like to the character itself, and just over and over and over again, just giving me insight on how this thing worked. Use She's been doing it for extremely long time. So I was extremely grateful for her for the opportunity to have her in my show. And just even to this day, like she always hit me up, give me a vice, shars, make sure I know what's going on. I really really appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like a mother figure for real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and especially like she don't got to do none of that. She can go to work and go home, and she made sure to kind of make sure I know what I was doing, especially being the first time I had never acted, never written, never produced, never done nothing before. So just having her kind of teach me how you should be treated and what you should demand. Like her and Kenya were extremely important and kind of giving the information. And Kenya is different because it's her it's his job. Excuse me, it's not her job do that at all. So I really really appreciate it. And just seeing how good she is, like of course you know she's good, but on set, like her her being able to like change I guess her direction and also kind of helping direct our camera department, helping her because we had a really really really small team, so kind of her feeling and the void when she didn't have to, Like, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: How close is she to your mom in real life?
Speaker 2: Ah, my mom, My mom a little bit more turned up on camera. Yeah, but mom she cool though, My mom cool? But my mom is my MoMA interested.
Speaker 1: Man, does your mom really like jail?
Speaker 2: No, but my mom has said that before. MoMA ain't nothing wrong with it. That's my mama said. My mama's one of the people right where you have your circumstances. Like we talk about our triggers, it's in our kind of our environment and how it changes us. So my mom is the type of person that, no matter what, everybody that came with us stay right until we get to the house. Right. So my mom has an understanding point of view on everything, but she also holds you accountable for the things that you do. We was kids, She's like, no, I ain't picking all up second time. Like you get one free one, you get a free one. I'm gonna get you after that. It's on you. This happens, my mom, My mom done walk in the room before all my homies in living room and then somebody's telling jokbox start laughing. My mama just say he gonna tell dang, he told too. It was a little crazy that a liar.
Speaker 1: He was told.
Speaker 2: Man. But my mom, her experience is kind of mirror ours. And I think it's weird growing up with a mother who understands like kind of the nuance or the situation when you're younger, but as you get older, you go to appreciate it. And I think it's a lot of the times we have a point of view. I guess the women in these communities, especially when thinking about film and just art that takes place in southern California, Like it's always the mom crying over the dead body and no, baby, don't do it. That's not how any of my homies mothers are. Because you got to think about the black community. I was born in nine ninety three, so just kind of the state that California was in at that point in time to state that the streets was in the states for our community, drugs, alcoholism, I guess, homelessness, lack of jobs, lack of resources.
Speaker 1: They couldn't be soft exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think kind of having a mother figure in the show that held the characters responsible was extremely important because my mom she not giving you no passes, but she not gonna, you know, shy away from loving you. But you don't get those passes.
Speaker 1: What do you think, niggas hate more reading our accountability?
Speaker 2: Reading? Reading for sure? For sure think reading.
Speaker 1: You think that you think we hold ourselves accountable enough.
Speaker 2: Ourselves are each other, both.
Speaker 1: Yourself as an individual and each other as a community.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you think about as far as the things we prioritize, those can be better. But I think accountability is important. But we like to point finger and I think a lot of that has to do with, you know, trauma, lack of opportunity, lack of people hearing you out, like see it's not me, it's here, it's not me as y'all. It's the thing we have. I feel like we just kind of got to get our our viewpoints right because we see a lot of the wrong things and I guess the right situation because we have a lot to look forward to, we got a lot to live up to, and we're not holding ourselves accountable based on our own metrics, our own communities, the things that we have. You know, we're looking at what everybody else got it, where everybody else is, and then we judging ourselves based on that. But I think the reading aspect of it is extremely important. But like, what is there to read? If you do in the hood who don't know much, or a ladyhood that don't know much, they're gonna tell you, oh, you gotta read are the war forty Laws of Power?
Speaker 1: Great read?
Speaker 2: I read that's some books. I'm into the fall our books. But it's like, all right, I get I get the mental warfare aspect of it, but who you fighting? So you're gonna read for their laws of power or the word to go using on anohing needs. I'm not into that and especially comes from that like like I'm I'm I personally think like it's more like, say, if you watch films all day, right, if you read the method, if you pick up some scene books, if you read anything about how these things are created on writing by Stephen King, like, get into that because these are your passions, these are your pastimes. Get into something that is, you know, download the vocabulary app, get your worder today, you know things of that nature. But I feel like, are the spaces we look for information are limited based on who we are and the nuance we have as a people. And I feel like we have a lot of self esteem issues when it comes to like reading. I remember when I was a kid, I used to hate read and I never got bad grades or nothing, but I stuttered real bad. I used to like kind of talk relatively slow. Was letting me talking too fast trying to not stutter? And also vision who got time for a sweet service? Who got Eige insurance? You know what I mean? So a lot of those things kind of hinder us from even wanting to read in the first place. So now as we get older and we're assessing information, now what do we know? Like what are we looking to look? So I feel like we will hold each other accountable. We can get our parodies right now, our understanding who we are right, and that comes from our field of reading aspect that you talked about it when you say reading, I'm thinking more broad and sits like garnering knowledge and trying to learn.
Speaker 1: That's why the nation is almost so important Because first book my dad gave me it was autobiograph and Malcolm X. Then that led me to read the Message to the Black Man. Then I read from Niggas to God's by a Kill. Those books right there instill all of that stuff we're talking about right now. It instills accountability, It gives you a sense of responsibility, and it just broadens your mind to something that can better you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I feel like one and first the other, so we can just kind of access more information. That really helped because I, like I said, you know, when I came up, and I didn't grow up listening to music and going I'm gonna be real bro. Like I was ignorant to a point that I didn't even understand the concept of like a concert or like a show. I had never, once in my life ever knew when the concert was, where it was, how they worked. I didn't understand records deals. I'd never really been in know record stores like that. Like, I didn't really understand what music was at the research and to find it out. And that's a very humbling situation. I make it feel vulnerable. So when it comes to film, television, learn about that. When it comes to just life learning in general, it's really hard for us to kind of gain information without being without feeling like we're out of place, so we can kind of fix that and can fix a lot of our problems.
Speaker 1: We don't want to feel dumb.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we don't want to feel dumb. But you gotta figure out what feeds you. Basically, like what he said, if you're doing film, you watch film and it whatever caters to you or makes you feel good. But if you don't even know where to start with that, I could see how that could be a challenge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and now you think about, like from your manage point, stand up comedians, every stand up comedian, I speak to it as comedian general that does stand up. They talk about barbing or you know, figuring out a set and how hard it is at the beginning, and how you have to make mistakes. Within that community, it's embraced, Like you hear people talk about it. You hear people talk about their woes and help each other out. I feel like within these other communities, we kind of got to apply that same sort of grace to each other. Give people the opportunity to fall on the ass and learn a little bit.
Speaker 3: And it's okay if you do that. I mean, I never did that, but I know a lot of people.
Speaker 1: They know what I don't know. I mean no, never.
Speaker 3: In the most humble way, I'm gonna say that I never have. But it's not to be like, oh that makes me so much better than everybody else, because I haven't. It's just how I grew up a gripping Baltimore City. So I mean, this is not about me, real quick, Like, I just grew up in Baltimore City and with all male cousins around my brother's friends.
Speaker 2: I ain't really have a lot of homegirls.
Speaker 1: So then I grew up.
Speaker 3: Hearing them crack on me and crack on my brother and crack on friends. So I was real you know, just real quick with impriv anyway, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Say you have the information based on your experiences.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and that's what fed me being funny and being social and being able to just just be tough, have tough skin, you know, so.
Speaker 1: And having a social media Pollum, so by the time you got on stage, people kind of already knew you anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but this was before social media.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, growing up.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean, Just I just always been funny. I'd be funny at a funeral, you know what I'm saying, Like, just just because that's just what it is. So I definitely to your point. I understand that, like whatever feeds you or whatever. I wasn't big on reading it, but I'm still not. I hate when we bring people up back of the who that somebody wrote a book. Okay, you know what I mean and what it is. I gotta see it.
Speaker 2: Like I wrote, I've read this book.
Speaker 1: Yo, this is the hardest thing, harder thing.
Speaker 3: That's so we got vits.
Speaker 1: Can't you write the book? I gotta watch the show. Yeah, the show and listens and I read you used to send scripts and run show ideas by Quinna Brunt.
Speaker 2: I said, I said, uh, I sent one of the scripts and she was like, yeah, I'm gonna lie be nervous, you know, needs be sending the scripts. But she kind of because, like I said, I've never done it before, so you know, you kind of get to be around these people. I was lucky enough to be a part of her show, and it we kind of forged your relationship. We had done the show previously with those animations, so we didn't really communicate that much. But she been a really really big help. Her talent and her professionalism and just the way that she runs that operation. You know, for that big company, it's understated, like she does an amazing job. I don't know if I ran across somebody who does it as good as she does in the manner that she does it. So I was just really grateful that she was able to even look at it and also let you know that, like you know what you're doing, because especially not having information, not having access a certain thing. You know, these people that done went to college for this stuff, like I value their opinion, and yeah, it was a good opportunity to be able to share with her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why is it only five episodes?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man, that's what they're doing right now. These these show orders, they're not really going past eight. It's a lot of things are like six eight pretty much just streaming, you know what I mean, not being able to separate. The episode was on a weekly kind of basis. Is kind of change a lot of things. People digesting and change a lot of things. The budgets changed after the striking, but previous to that, the budgets got a little bit weird during COVID. So I feel like, you know, they always gonna throw stuff at us as far as just creative people. So working through it, but.
Speaker 3: That's still in a way that's still good though, because if it's it's too long, it's like all people exactly probably, but it's like now we want more.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And also being the first time creative, like it's a bunch of stuff on it, there was like, no, we can't do this, we can't do that, we can't do that. So just working through that system, you learn the system the first time, and I'm happy I was able to learn it. And I guess it's short setting because I didn't have to try to figure out how to do ten or twelve episodes while having a kind of not fight budget struggle through the pitfall exactly. Yeah, And you gotta every episode, you gotta cut. You gotta cut stuff, especially shooting on location. You cutting pages, you cutting you cutting time, You miss some shots, some come up like to start raining, uh clouds, Like it's little stuff that you don't even think it's gonna affect your day, and they really do.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna ask you some questions. They random was They're gonna be random to the people who haven't seen the show yet, but they're not gonna be random to you.
Speaker 2: I got you.
Speaker 1: What did the music do to Michael Jackson.
Speaker 2: Man, look at it everything, bro take his childhood ship. That case is music. Music can be tumultuous, bro like, and I think that a lot of the time were so busy focusing on the music and what it gives to us, we don't ever look at the like, look at the bro look at bro. Like when I was a kid and I seen Michael Jackson, I didn't know of the Michael Jackson. I'm only thirty, so my whole life I was like this nigga look crazy. My whole life. It's like I never looked at Michael Jackson, was like, oh, man, that's a cool fly nigga, Michael. And then you get older and then you see I remember my first time seeing it was like, uh, the movie that the made for TV movie they had with you after rating and shit and uh American Jackson, American fan.
Speaker 1: Oh the one Jason Weaver played. Wait, I was gonna say, flex Washington, No, that was.
Speaker 2: Not that. Yeah, Jason, I was like this this ain't cool. Nigga, Like yeah, like this what happened? Is this? That's what happened? Bro? Y'all like, y'all let this happen. Like everybody like, oh, that's Mike, Like, now, this nigga like terrible.
Speaker 1: You know the interesting thing about Mike, You know how they say the whole you know, Bill Cobby was trying to buy a NBC thing. Mike really owned half of the music industry is published. Yeah, no, black man supposed to have that kind of power in the music injury. But nobody ever said it was a conspiracy to bring Michael Jackson that.
Speaker 2: Look, man, That's all I'm saying. I'm saying the nigga looked like he was into some freaky shit. Man, we talked about that.
Speaker 1: Oh man, Mike was innocent.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm not saying he wasn't. I'm not saying he was. I'm saying that if he had anything going on, I wouldn't be surprised. All I'm saying is a nigga life looked a little rough.
Speaker 1: He got investigated by the FBI was seventeen years.
Speaker 2: I'm not even talking about that. I'm talking about that wig bro. You talking about these kids. I'm saying, regardless, see how you see how you see how we trying kind of trying to sidetrack it with the accomplishment instead of being like they fuck this nigga life up. What I'm saying is, no matter what happened, look at that nigga.
Speaker 1: Well, then the music got the money in the fame. He was the most famous man on earth, probably the most famous person ever that walked the faith of the show.
Speaker 2: And look at the nigga. Damn, it's not true, trauma. No, it's not true. Man, that weave with that nose. They fucked Mike up. Man, they need to we need to say, we need a sorry Mike Day, like My Bad Michael. That shit fucked up.
Speaker 1: I liked him, My Bad MJ. We're gonna do that on his birthday.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: You started doing this show on YouTube right about five years ago. Man.
Speaker 2: So originally, when I first started on music, I never been like the biggest artist. So when started new music, people will kind of gravitate toward certain things. We like music, videos, we like this, we like that. And I never been like ignorant of the world around you me. You know what I mean. I know what I'm good at, I know what I'm not good at. So I always thought, okay, what's the limits that we can push probably visual medium, same thing with interviews and stuff of that nature. So we had a bunch of meanings had to be like seven, eight, nine years ago and going everybody, we want to do a show, and it was nah, oh maybe later were working on this, you got some music for that. It wasn't panning out, so I just kind of did more work out of a bunch of voiceover stuff. I did some smaller roles on other films, Dope being one of the first, and then we did the YouTube thing for a couple episodes and that's kind of how we got their chops up and kind of learned how to do it. And then I think a year or two after that is when we got the opportunity to kind of go through Netflix. We'll go with Kenya. We had Kenya and a couple other people. Kenya, to me, it was the most honest and he was the most understanding that I was trying to make something and it wasn't I need you to make this for me type situation. And so we got the situation with him and Netflix and covid hit. So we had to sit that out and then when covid happened to back up, thankfully, now we're here.
Speaker 1: How did it go? How did it feel taken it from YouTube to TV?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What changed? About that format as opposed to the format you use for television.
Speaker 2: Everything bad that the YouTube stuff was all in prov It was just a set up and I just did I just improved and like had you know, good people that have been a lot of stuff. Frim Givvens, who also was in is in an episode of this, was also in that series. But it was just simple. We got one set up, we do one things. Of course, playing with the idea theatrics, so we have angers on every episode. But with the YouTube series, just like, okay, how do we create something that feels like Scott pil conversetore or how we recreate something that feels like you know, old kung fu movie type moment and kind of building around that one moment for a scene versus having an episode of scenes that also has act Greggs. It also has transition, also has some sort of narrative engine that can drive through an episode. So you gotta basically blow out the fucking four to five minute piece, make it a forty minute piece for that to be cut to twenty minutes. So it's just really learning the format was the hardest part for me. Crazy and also having a lot of hands in the pot like this ain't gonna work, this single work. You can't do this. Okay, Now you can do this because something just came out that makes this okay. Now you know what I mean. So just dealing with a lot of the politics and a lot of the red tape is the most difficult part, especially used to doing shit by yourself, because the music you can do whatever fuck you want, right and with that it's like, nah, there's certain certain things that have to be done.
Speaker 1: You keep saying you wasn't that known as a rapper. Why you're saying keep on saying that now you like you like top five rapper from Long Beach, which means something bruh.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I get what you're saying. But what I'm saying is as far as like a day to day basis right, and like the way you can move through this business. If you don't got the bottom line to support any of these endeavors you're trying to do, it don't matter how creative it is. So I got I do well, I got multiply them songs, I got go songs. I got certain things that certain people never get. But it ain't Drake so the door No. But I'm saying, the doors that might open for Drake, the doors of open for the people, aren't necessarily open for me. So I gotta work half white. No, I get just me. But but but it's benefits of doing all them things.
Speaker 1: You pull out the meat, but he wouldn't have to pull out his meat, clown, you know.
Speaker 3: What I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm saying it's certain things that just wasn't for me, so based on where I was at and what I wanted to create, Like, it's certain things, all right, So like come on, bring you know me? You don't know me, You're like all right, So everybody, No, I can lean way more into like to tell shit, I can lean way more into like the negative ship. I personally don't believe in that based on that that the ramifications that had on my life and the people around me, But that would make my music make more sense. So if I make this kind of music and I lean into these elements of music, and it's seeing a certain way, the videos look a certain way, the friend group look a certain way. To eventually go to look a certain way. Now it's okay, we understand it as an artist, and it's certain things I just didn't do or didn't relate to it just didn't work for me as an artist. So that kind of dictated where I'm at. No, I'm not saying it to diminists that I've done the music, because I'm extremely grateful for it, But I'm just saying I'm realistic about what it is. If people are saying, hey, bro, we like your interviews, are you funny? We like your videos, I'm not gonna be like I'm I'm making no more videos because y'all not paying a signish of the thing I want you to pay attention to. You got to be aware of what people like from you and take it from there. That's really where my standpoint is. I don't got I got songs that I've been on the radio, and I've got one or two songs that have done very well on the radio. Pibly released sixty songs. But every time I might do an interview, every time I might come up here, people is in the comments having more engagement than they would even as far as how the album go. So taking that kind of I guess information and trying to see how you gonna suspect this shit out because all right, I'm thirty right now, Bro, who can do this when they sixty who can do this when they forty forty five? And I take care of my family and things of that nature life. I keep it pretty simple. I don't really got aspirations to be the most you know, I'm not looking for a billion dollars bro, That's just not how I am. So I enjoy the privilege of creativity and being able to do things that I never thought I would be able to do as a child. So I always took the way that people view my music and the way that people digest anything I did as a positive no matter what it is. If people say they don't like something I do, that's still positive because they're mostly invested in a finit And that just kind of led me down this path just being aware of who you are and how the world feel about you.
Speaker 1: Our hip hop artists is just limited to music now. So nowadays, when I see a hip hop artist, I'm not thinking this person is just going to be a rapple only because of everything that we've seen from the jay Z's and Donald Glovers, all these people that have done so many other different things. Yeah, I mean to put JD and Donald Glove in the same.
Speaker 2: I feel, and I agree because I felt that way my whole life. I've been lucky enough to grow when I grew up, But when I was a kid, Tonlok was on TV. Ice Cube was already ice Cube. As far as film television, Queen of Tifa, Missy Ellie had to Show, Eve had a show, Will Smith was Will Smith. So I think that it's been really really good groundwork laid just for black people in general, but specifically for hip hop artists in the past twenty to thirty years. I can just it makes it It's limitless. Honestly, the things that we get to especially if we trust each other and utilize each other these our infrastructure and kind of support each other, would be good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you're doing that now in your own lead thirty Yeah, I feel right. Oh, but like you, I mean, you know from your past experiences what you said. You're like, Yo, what I say?
Speaker 1: You said, you're watching the show you're comedian? Tell him? What what? Yo? What did you say? What I said? He look like what I said? What who? He said? He looked like Tammy Campbell? Yeah, I got No, you don't look like exactly Cambell.
Speaker 3: No, I said, you look like the dad from sister sisters.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, Ray yet Ray.
Speaker 3: But then a little boy too, like you look older, but you look younger.
Speaker 2: Little boy what was his name? Uh? I done got the dad. I ain't got I ain't got the I got the boy before. I right, man, shout out the right.
Speaker 3: I don't know who like young you look like, but I'm just saying, look young and older.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got man going on. I've seen this nigga, Professor Ogilvy in the in the airport yesday. Yeah, he's still getting red.
Speaker 1: He had the whole.
Speaker 2: He had the whole. It could have been downtown of late ship. He got the whole evin Tion set up.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: He's in there by hisself for like a He had a scarf, phone and a sweater and it was like eighty five degrees. You know, he did his ship. Man. I've seen Mace. I've seen Mace on the airplane the other day with a scarf and a button up with like like two orders of roscos.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm talking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like nah man, nah, I just seen it. I just I just seen his nigga. Don't even know ma, he's no lame, but I just seen this nigga and he was like in front of the plane. He came on late and all that, this nigga Mace man keeping it black.
Speaker 1: So slow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I fucked with Mace. He walked in. It's just good to see no entertainers, you know, still thriving, doing good.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: He sat next to the white man. The white man try to say some funny ship to him, like that smells good. He was like, yeah it is, you bitch ass nigga, you know what I mean. I appreciated that, man. So I feel like I feel like it's been good. It's been good. Kind of steps taken to kind of make it possible for people like me.
Speaker 1: Is it challenging t to take your natural humor and wit and put it into a scripted, fictional format.
Speaker 2: Nah, bro, because I don't even be joke like that. Bro, Like I'll be I'll be chilling, you know, niggas.
Speaker 3: You know I can tell you he's so serious. I'm like, why you're gonna bring up what I said?
Speaker 1: Even the way walked in here? Like what's up? Bro?
Speaker 3: I'm like, Nah, don't tell them nothing.
Speaker 2: Not saying.
Speaker 1: People.
Speaker 2: I don't be tripping. Fuck Uh. The writing is the easy part, bro, Like that that's not I think that's probably the part I gravitated to the most. And I think a thing about making the show, especially when you have some sort of notoriety, is that the perception can be off right. People was thinking of it's Vince Stables show. So like when you're kind of doing the scripts, it's like, I'm not necessarily the main character in any of these episodes. The environment is the main character, but it's the show because like it's my perspective when hobby of the world and how I feel black people interact with each other. It's not really ever about me in the show at all. And I think that's why the writing is really important because when you think about the Bank episode, right, the Bank episode to me is tackling a lot of things like, all right, you just seen today JP Morgan. I've seen a clip of the JP Morgan do apologizing for being institutional slavery, but that's part of the episode that we have, you know what I mean. So it's like being able to tackle those things are important because I be in place and I'd be like, y'all just gonna let these white folks like like do this ship in our face, like and we all love him so much and not just like she don't know white people, like I know, I got like I got like, I got like one white friend, like probably wanted a half type ship, so it's like one and a half. Yeah yeah, well he like shix far six eight you know what I mean, I got it. I probably say three. I got another six foot white boy that he my engineer, so he cound, I guess, but shout out tired that what's up?
Speaker 1: Bro? But uh yeah, I one, would you now what you No?
Speaker 2: Wait, I'm not his friend, but no, I don't know she white. But my thinking I'm just talking about like and I'm talking about I'm talking about I'm talking about like day to day life stuff. But it's like we we bro. The writing of it is important because it's so much ship that I think kind of goes unsaid. So I like translating into writing it is easier because if I just start saying some of the should I be feeling, then I'm gonna look crazy.
Speaker 1: No, trust me, you got some of that in here, Like when the dude walks away from the family and he's like, why are we black?
Speaker 2: But all right, so that's a true story. I got an uncle name went for shot, I'll go in with that nigga call man, and he got drunk whe and he was asking that question. My mom was like, shut the fuck up. But I felt bro because I'm like, what does that even mean? Like if we really like get in deep.
Speaker 1: I don't think you're black if you never asked that question, not saying that you don't want to be black when you think about all the things black people have had to deal with in this country?
Speaker 2: Why are we black?
Speaker 1: But why are we going through this? That's what I think he was trying to say, bro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because was my family is helography, so we had like a family type thing and it's like, you know sometimes black people like get fake CHURCHI yeah, so my family, everybody in my family had a fake like come to Jesus moment and it always get way worse when it was done. So this was the end of somebody like say, of your moment. So my uncle Wifford niggas argue, I just got a question. He'said, I just don't understand just why is we black? And everybody was like, nigga, shut the fuck up, like you drunk, But his feelings was really hurt because, like you niggas arguing in my house. I don't understand what's going on. It's like if you just say that, if I just walked up here and said that, I'm a little crazy on the internet. So being able to write it and give it context and show the things that happened kind of make it a little bit easier.
Speaker 1: But he was drunk.
Speaker 3: He was thinking he was your uncle probably been through so much and then seeing so much, and it's.
Speaker 2: Like, man, why we gotta And I be feeling bad for people from that generation. That's my grandy sister has. My grandy sister just died. My grannyme and my grandsister just died. They was getting old or whatnot. So I'm we at the funeral and I'm like, what's up. I gonna going for you good. He's like, yeah, you know, Vergie dead, so you know I'm gonna just be at the house, like come on down. It's like, damn, nigga, Like you don't think that sounds crazy? He's like, what you mean? I'm like, your whole life has just been sorrow Like niggas talking like a sharecroppery from Arkansas, nigga live in Colming. Like it's like he still see horses every day, he probably don't see no translation. Yeah, So the stuff that we deal with as people, it is real interesting, man, and you just gotta kind of tread on it lightly just to be I don't even trade lightly because when you we making stuff us, we understand it. But you want to be I guess sensitive to the stuff that we deal with every day, and I make it seem like you poking fun at ourselves because what we don't want to do is we don't want to kind of go to these people's platforms and poke fund at ourselves and kind of be slapstickish almost, you know what I'm saying, because with my thing like, oh man, it's just dry, this is that hour. But it worked for Wilfred, it worked for Lewis your work for Curve to work for all these other people. So I can do a show like this, Well, we can't start the show like this if the perspective ship is gonna be all. But if we utilize this lens and then we do a slow panel, then we can still showcase the environment while showing emotion of the characters and we start talking like that, then they gotta just let you do what you want to do, which while the information is important and riding is important, just making sure that you are able to articulate to someone who don't understand because they looking at it, it's math because with them, they got the world. So they don't got to worry about the stuff that they say or the stuff that they do because and I'm not saying this in a the meaning way, but just like all right, ostensibly just the same stuff that we kind of champion Jim carry for, we ship on Tyler Perry for. But it's based on the way that the circumstances in the community, and you know how people view these things, you call them if he was black, you know what I'm saying. So it's like you gotta be mindful of the fact that people do feel that way when you create these things.
Speaker 1: And they have mass representation exactly. Yeah, yeah, yeah, So why are we black ship man?
Speaker 2: Because we're lucky? You know what I'm saying. Look at it, you know what I mean? I like it. I wouldn't want to be the mother thing, you know what, the mother thing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that. Man says being black is dangerous but it's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where your seatbelt? Man? You be at I love it right, what's.
Speaker 1: More important to you properly representing Vince Staples in this show or properly representing Long Beach.
Speaker 2: I would say probably represent Long Beach to community in general, because like I'm I'm mean, you feel me like, don't. You don't really know how the world look at you in vide you, But I feel like when I was younger and I was making music and even just kind of getting into the space, and I used to not want my homies to come to like videos. I used to want my homies and not because I didn't want nobody treating them like they weren't adequate. Like I remember I shot a video. I shot a video on the hood and we was doing like it's a mural on the on the side of a store, on side of a market that's on sixty four, and my homies was driving by, and then like a couple people drive by the honey coming, Oh, I know you're shooting a video, niggas, ain't. I was rapping like that at the time. Then all of a sudden, it was like fifty people across the street just like hanging cause like my homies is cool, and I was just happy that they would treat it well. But I was so nervous just for somebody to just say something disrespectful or be demeaning, or just treat us like our experiences don't matter, because it's like we human, we all got interest, we all got we all got things that we love, we all got things that we want to say and share with the world. And a lot of the times, if you not someone that they deem is an acceptable version of a negro, you don't get the opportunity to be showcased. And I got homies that's like like like the bank robber, like the prison to like underwater welder, to you know, union craftsmen, pipeline is real. And I got homies who done sat down talking fifteen twenty years as building factories and they have pride in that and they feel like they're not greedy and they feel like they want to help other people. So putting that in appropriate context was important to me because I can have a homie that can sit down and talk to you about anything, but then by yeah, out of there fifteen is for murder? Are there fifteen for robbing the bank? Then everything that y'all just talked about go out of the go out the windows. You don't understand that we don't get the opportunity to change our lives. You don't get the opportunity to become better people. So I don't like seeing that stuff. And it's not that we put it in our art or we kind of promoted because I don't want it to come across like I'm saying that we do it to ourselves. I'm saying the way the world views us is not necessarily fair. So I kind of just wanted to showcase context that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about Long Beach Mixed Snoop, the most marketable family friendly rapper ever, he a whole crip doing Corona commercials.
Speaker 2: I would probably say diversity. It's an extremely diverse place. You know, the population a long which is actually surprising to me even when we started. One of my homies is actually the mayor now shoutout rerections and he doing a lot of good things for the city, trying to kind of uplift the north side that hasn't really got that much attention, but he kind of gave us some numbers. He's like, you know, you think this. He's like, we was talking about the area and he's trying to develop. But I was like, yeah, like it's it's cool right there, but just make sure y'all know they don't displace nobody. He was like it's impossible. I was like, now, you sound like one of them. And he was like, with eighty percent of the people that live in on the North have two parent households, seventy percent make over double the double the whatever salary was like, its like one hundred thousand dollars most people on their homes. Most people this, most people have that even though black people are only like twenty thirty thousand of damn near a couple hundred thousand, I means that we're doing pretty relatively well in the city. So I think growing up in a place like that, growing up in a place where you can see the highs and lows of everyone, where it's white people, black people, of Southeast Asian people, Hispanic people, it makes you kind of well around it because we all live on top of each other. Bro. And also with Snoop music, like from maybe from my vantage point, because I know how it is his music was it was burnt out a little bit, but the hits, the things that the world knows Snoop for, It's it's fun loving like Jenn and Juice, you know, Dre d It's not like just like I'm a right around And of course music wasn't like that at that time.
Speaker 1: It was great record.
Speaker 2: You don't think like listening to that core progression dred a. Yeah, man, it's really not that getting raped. Oh what's mad?
Speaker 1: I mean if you go back and listen to the song, it was actually assaulting the men as vengeance.
Speaker 2: Yes, well I'm not talking about I'm talking I'm not talking about I'm talking about Jules Snoop Doggy Dog. Yeah, Dre was gap teeth, Okay.
Speaker 1: The video people getting bent over, Yeah, that was a lot.
Speaker 2: That was a lot. But in his defense, that was Dre song and them niggas from content and them niggas is crazy over there my mom and from the Yeah, get what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It's a lot, but nothing but they were fun. The videos is dancing and.
Speaker 2: All that, and I think that's why people digested Snoop differently regardless of his back like Nigga, I don't have to burn with the hockey jersey and ship like it just it just looked and felt different.
Speaker 1: Have you ever really tried to get a loan from a bank, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Mortgages and what have you?
Speaker 1: Did it end up like that?
Speaker 2: Nah, I got lucky. I got lucky, But I got a homie who has no criminal record, even New Jersey, no criminal record, no nothing, trying to open up alone, to open up a second locase of already successful business. And they're like, I don't know, you don't have this, you don't have that, you don't have that. But I have had meetings. This wasn't in the bank setting where they was like, yeah, we just not having a few, and they're like, you need this, you need that, you need that. I mean some of that was kind of the process of what this show was like, kind of taking those meanings and realizing the way that people view entertainers and I guess the fickle nature of this business and how you know it's unforgiven and they're not wrong, but it's a hard thing to swallow as far as being an artist and hearing that in the financial realm, the thing that you've probably dreamed of all your life doing ain't even really the thing. Yeah, and especially for them, so it's like that was a hard thing to kind of grasp. I just kind of wanted to show it in the show.
Speaker 1: Were gonna get out of here minue because you know, we just start to get quiet like this. That means you're ready to.
Speaker 2: Go first of all. But why you get off her head and why I don't understand.
Speaker 3: I don't know been up here in two weeks.
Speaker 1: I want to go.
Speaker 3: I want to leave right.
Speaker 2: I want to put into you need a vacation.
Speaker 1: I do thank you to leave them. How do you know when you're pushing boundaries for the sake of shock value versus pushing boundaries to provoke like honest thought and discussion.
Speaker 2: For me personal bro, Like I'm never really trying to do too much, but I'm kind of always doing too much. So I would get a call from him or King King. They'd be like, Nigga, like what's going on, bro, And I'll be like, no, I was trying to oj ship and ship away on that. I was trying to ship because I feel like it's it's just like a sad story, like when we think about how it ended up. Of course he he wiled out or whatever. Yeah, and like his mind is gone obviously, Like when you look at the nigga, talgets something wrong with.
Speaker 1: Him, but he be saying to normal on cam and make sure to me, but.
Speaker 2: Bro listen to the speed in which he speaks, the way his eyes look. People's always look dilated. Yeah, that's what I'm That's what I'm saying. I'm not here, That's what I'm saying. I'm like, but you think about his background and like really look into his background as far as like his father and his upbringing where he's from. Like, it's a sad story. But when you the man and you got that football, everything matters and you can do whatever you want.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nobody pays attention to exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: So they had to make some calls like you can't. I had some shit in there that was probably a little bit too far, but they was like, man, yeah, you can't do this, you can't do that. So if I get some call call from Kenya or him are like eight o'clock in the morning, seven o'clock in the morning, they just had a meeting and I was doing too much.
Speaker 1: Those calls are pissed me off, though, because how do we know I can't do it? If the networks that I can't do no, let's not let us stop.
Speaker 2: Well, no, the thing is because if they wouldn't, if they didn't fill hm a little bit. They wouldn't call got you got you got? Okay, that's what I'm saying. They call me the net because they probably got a call every day. That ain't my problem, but when they called it like, hey, this might be a little too much so and I think it's off perception that most for you, I say, ninety seven ninety eight percent of the time, but sometime I think it's the perception of things like it's never like a you trip and it's I get what you how to do. It's not gonna work that way, which is important to me because I want things to translate correctly.
Speaker 1: Random question from the show, would you really want a digital consciousness?
Speaker 2: Hell? Nah, I do that, bro. I don't even want no smartphone. Bro, I get it. I'm cold man. And they whooped us with the cars because now you know what I mean. You got all the all the connectivity type situations. But I'm over it.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 2: Every time somebody face timed me, I get hot. Yeah, I don't want to look at you. Don't just throw your face like in my life irritate me. I'm I'm cool.
Speaker 1: So you really you don't really be on social media that much? You got a flip phone.
Speaker 2: I used to when I first got a dial. I look crazy in the meanings though, I look crazy and in me knowing nobody gonna give me no deal life to step it up, go to the Apple store. But yeah, I was, I was. I was slumming it for a minute.
Speaker 1: They really thought he was older than you. Put it on the flip phone.
Speaker 2: And I had and I had no cut cut and like my shit little lopsided, So like I was there with the other mafro with the cut, like, what's up you doing?
Speaker 3: A crooked afro with a flip phone and the mustache.
Speaker 2: He had a he had coming, like nigga start wearing basketball shirts and hitties and ship to these means. I'm like, I was at the house like it was grimy.
Speaker 1: Have you really never fell in love with hip hop?
Speaker 2: What I meant by that was like, what's that moment? Like if when do you fall in love with your mama? You feel me? When do you fall in love with your father? Like people be I wasn't trying to be fucked up, but when people not black, they got different experiences. Nigga weird? And when do you discover hip hop? If you were born in nineteen ninety three in the ghetto. When do you walk into a place and they're like, hey, nigga, this is hip hop that shit don't fucking like, what the fuck do we be talking about my nigga like that? That's to ask me when I fell in love with like char Cooterie or like some stupid white people shit like hip hop is a part of I'm black. It's just there as it's been there, Like, I don't know, Like that's a that's crazy easy to think about. Bro. It's like a niggas when they met Jesus, like, nigga, what I'm black? Should we just do it?
Speaker 1: This is my last question, Jesse, do anything? Okay? Then my last question. Me and Glasses of Alone was having a conversation right and Glasses was saying, how if you're not from like like hip hop in order to be hip hop has to be from the hood and have a street aesthetic and be on I always say you wanted to be on some gangster shit. He says, No, that's not what he's saying to me. You hip hop. Kendrick is hip hop, Cole is hip hop. Y'all don't have to do no criminal shit to be considered hip hop? Do you think you have to do because you said that earlier, you talk about could show my my environment, right, I can create better music.
Speaker 2: Then Glasses be saying half of what he's trying to say, that's my dog, So I know he be bushing. And as you ask, do you I feel like the important sentence is for it to be accepted fully because the way that we viewed certain things, that's a very big part of hip hop. That's a very big part of black hole, which're a very big part of being a black male. To be honest, that's a big part of manhod in the general, especially for a black man. So if you're making hip hop and you're saying you come from all these things, but it feels different. It feels like it's not how they view us, because let's let's be real, bro, we thirteen forty percent is this fucking population We got to sell things to people that's not us. So for it to translate, oh, I know what that is. You know what I'm saying, sports, god, jerseys, bro just is what it is like. So I feel like for it to fully translate and kind of rease certain heights based on how people perceive it most of the time. It does have to be that, but that don't make it right, damn.
Speaker 1: So you think you got to have the street elements and the hood elements.
Speaker 2: I think for their understanding and digestion of it. But what is the street element of it? And what is the hood element? It struggle, It's poverty, it's lack of resources, it's lack of family, it's lack of all these things. And that's just the Black experience based on how the world sees it. So it's not just violence. Violence is just the biggest part of it as far as how we speak about it, read like think about I know they exist, but it's way more mother records than it is father records. You get what I'm saying. It's just how our community looks and how kind of we view it, you know what I mean. So I feel like like I get older and I'm like I feel bad, like kind of for my father, Like the relationship that we have home. It's like, all right, you got incarceration issue, you got substance issues, Like it ain't like you. It's just like, yeah, I ain't coming home, won't fuck with these kids. But based on the perception of how we were taught to view ourselves from the world around us. Everybody said, we ain't got no dady, instead of understanding the circumstances, you know what I mean. So I feel like it's kind of that with hip hop, is just understanding the circumstances a little bit better. But whenever they had these conversations about hip hop, especially in California, I feel like we overlook a lot of successful things just because they not viewed as gangster shit like we Ain't. Ain't nobody talking about the far Side or souls of menishit for all these other hybrid successful things. Don't nobody even bring up mc hammer, you know, ain't nobody bringing up too Short like that? And they have street elements to music that was from the hood, but it wasn't viewed like at RBO posse Like it's a lot of stuff. So I feel like it just depends on what you look at.
Speaker 1: Why are we black Man? Vince Table Show is out now on Netflix. Thank you for coming, Vince.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Appreciate you brother. It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Wake that hands up in the morning. The Breakfast Club