Speaker 1: Has a league fifteen to ten touched up, Sucker.
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 3: Guys? Welcome into a brand new episode of Chargers Weeklies, as always, joined by Matt Buddy Smith.
Speaker 2: The super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Is in the books. We'll talk about the Chiefs repeating his champs. Obviously give us some draft stuff, But Buddy, I figured we'd start with just the staff coming together. Jim Harball is one thing, but to put together an elite staff is another.
Speaker 2: And he's certainly done that over the last couple.
Speaker 1: Of weeks, no doubt. You know when he was hired and when when Joe Artiez was hired, they said, first thing is staff. That that they got to get moving and get this staff put together. That way you can dig into the roster and figure out, you know what this roster is going to look like. We have a lot of free agent situations surrounding individual players. You have contracts that'll need to be restructured. And as much as Jim Harbaugh is going to be that the prime force in figuring out you know how he wants all of that to work. You want to bring in that staff, you know, and just as I'm looking at it, you know, if Greg Roman, Greg nobody's better at doing run game than you. How do you feel about Austin ECKLERG do we need to figure this out? What about Joshua Kelly? What about Isaiah Spiller? And that of course is going to figure out whether or not you're going to be looking at Blake corm or Jonathan Brooks in the draft. So when you start to bring you know, Mike Elson on the defensive line, all right, you know, and so many of these guys are with them at Michigan, so you know there's going to be continuity, right, There's really not a lot of variety or you know, adjustment that's going to be that's going to be made. Greg Roman with him forever in San Francisco and Stanford they bringing Marcus Brady as their passing game coordinator. You know Sanjay y'all lile, the wide receivers coach who of course did an incredible job up in Seattle with DK Metcalf And you think about how raw he was and what was taught and why he slipped, you know, turning him into an all pro. So that's what we're talking about, Like he's going to now have these conversation and I just bring up those two specifically Elston and obviously Jesseman or the DC Roman, Marcus Brady, the passing game and coordinator with Sanjay to talk about Mike Williams, Keenan Allen, Joey Boson, and Khalil Mack. And now that you have, you know, all of those those pieces in place, you can have this group conversation with Joe Hortiz. Okay, we know you need to put this puzzle together. You've got to make the money work, You've got to make the contracts work. These are the draft picks we have. Here's the coaches. They're going to be coaching these guys up positionally where we at. So that's that's why it's important. And I know a lot of the names probably aren't familiar to a lot of the folks listening or to the casual Chargers fans. But do some digging, you know, do yourself a favor and dig around, because you're going to find out. They put together one of the most impressive staffs of any team in the NFL.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they also added Mark Trestman, a former head coach, to help on the offensive side. And I want to dig into Greg Roman a little bit because historically his offenses have been very run heavy. I think that's a good thing when you bring in somebody who's going to establish an identity of running the football, because one thing that the Charges have not been able to do since Justin Herbert's been under centers run the football.
Speaker 2: I mean, they've been among the worst in the NFL.
Speaker 3: And I don't think Great Roman has had a player quite like Justin Herbert.
Speaker 1: So you know, hold on, Chris, I'll hold you there. Andrew Luck. Think about how run dominant those Stanford teams were with Toby Gerhart.
Speaker 2: And I was talking at NFL. I was talking to NFL, right, yeah, yeah, But I mean.
Speaker 1: Like that's I want people to visualize that. Like, think about Andrew Luck should have won the Heisman Trophy. He didn't because he went to Stanford and Stanford just doesn't care and so they didn't, you know, push him like the other Power five schools push their football players. But go back and watch those Toby Gearhart Andrew Luck teams to see Toby should have won the Heisman, that Toby is dominating on the ground, and then you've got Andrew Luck, who is just is the best quarterback in college football. So I think that's like, that's the first thing I thought of when we thought about fixing the run game and giving an elite quarterback, you know, weapons and a run game to work with and what that can look like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a great point, and you bring it to the pro level, you know. I just I think this running game is gonna look like nothing we've seen here before, and that's just gonna help Justin, especially on early downs. I do think having Greg Roman as the offensive coordinator is really going to just make Justin Herbert a better quarterback, someone who has more options and doesn't have to feel like he has to be superman on every down.
Speaker 1: No, one hundred percent. And you know, I think the other thing to recognize is, you know, with everyone as Mike Devlin comes in as as the offensive line coach, and we could not be more excited about our old friend Nick Hardwick com and he's someone who had the great pleasure of calling games with him and watching him analyze plays and then talk to him in between plays and when we're in break. He's a brilliant He's just he's a brilliant guy. I mean, he he really sees it and knows it and coaches it. And he was so close to so many of the coaches, you know, that year, that twenty seventeen year that he was here. You know, I can just remember being fortunate to be the fly on the wall like I am now with DJ as he has all these conversations and just listen to him break it all down. But you know, Shane and Nick, Shane Steike and Nick Sirianni both head coaches now and Nick would all sit together on the bus on the way to the games, and I would sit right there with them and just listening to them talk offense was a blast. Nick Harwick is going to be a head coach in this league, am I am one hundred percent convinced of that. He is. He is that good, He is that much of a motivator of a communicator. And remember this is someone that has a very unique background on his path to becoming, you know, one of the best centers in the game. He didn't playhigh school football. He's a wrestler, you know, and that's so important on the offensive line. We see that so often that you know, Powers Johnson think about the number one center in the in the league or in the draft coming up. He's a wrestler, you know, and so that's those are things that translate. There's a reason why Joe Tailer came and plucked Nick from the wrestling team and said you're going to be an offensive lineman. And those are things that Nick can coach. You know how your and I keep moving my hands because you know, as someone who wrestled in the seventy pounds and under ham and City League back in the day when I was in sixth grade, nobody, nobody owned the seventy pounds in under league like the weight class like I did. That's what it's all about. That's the thing that wrestling brings is hand strength, hand positioning, leverage, and that's why those players tend, those wrestlers tend to do so well. So I think to bring that into what Devlin's done for years now with Baltimore is and I bring that up because look, that's that's what this team's going to be. This team is going to be line specific, defensive line, offensive line. So when you're talking about Elston coming from Michigan to join Jesse Minner, so cool that his dad has been hired as well. That's got to be incredible for those two guys. To be able to do this together with the Chargers at the professional level. And then when you go to the offensive line and you get Devlin, who obviously has an incredible, you know, resume coming from Baltimore and how good they've been on the offensive line to pair with Nick Hardwick. I just think those two specific position groups talk about nailing your hires. I mean that this is going to be and now I'm anxious to see what it looks like how they're going to populate it, right, Like what are these players going to be that end up coming in to form these two position groups as that's the foundation.
Speaker 3: What I love about what Jim Harball's doing too, is I mean, you nailed it with Dick Hardwick about his communication skills and his his acumen. So you're bringing that in because he's that good, but also he's a Charger, right Like he's a Charger, and Jim I think recognizes that. I also love when the other US side of the ball, you're bringing in a former player Navarro Bowman to coach the linebackers. I mean, somebody that that you know, played under Hardball who can maybe develop Henley and you know, we'll see what happens with Kendricks and Murray, but just the the uniqueness of the staff when we talk about guys who have pro experienced college experience, playing experience, just all different forms of forms of thinking and and opinions on how to play the game.
Speaker 2: I just think it's a nice melt.
Speaker 1: No doubt. And and look, that's that's what those Stansford teams were built on. That's what those San Francisco forty nine er teams were built on. And you bet your ass that's what the Michigan team was built on. They just won the national championship. And remember, look, Michigan, they draft that. They they recruited incredible players, but they were not you know, Alabama, they were not Ohio State, they were not usc When you looked at the recruiting rankings, they were typically somewhere between ten and fifteen. They were not Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State. That is not what it looked like. So they develop, they develop players, just like coach Harbad did at Stanford. I'm going to develop these guys into becoming NFL players. And that's what he did at Michigan. And and you see it on both sides. I mean, look if Chris Jenkins ends up in that second round and he's sitting there when when the Chargers are picking, and you know, we know what, you got to figure out the interior line. I mean, granted, he's got incredible pedigree of course with his father, but like that's the sort of stuff we're talking about because he was undersized. He look, he was a big recruit, but he is someone that developed through the Michigan program and turned into you don't see a lot of three six foot two, three hundred and five pound run stuffing defensive lineman. The interior linemen, right, these are the three hundred and sixty six foot five massive mountains of human beings. But they wreckon ignized the skill set, they developed it. And he's one of the strongest players. I can't wait to see him. It sounds stupid, but that dude's going to climb under two twenty five and he's going to throw it up like six hundred times. Like he's so incredibly strong. He is just an ox of a human being. And that's that's the stuff that we saw at Stanford. Oh, Richard Sherman's a wide receiver. Now you're not your corner, and that's the sort of thing that that Jim Harbaugh and his staff have been so good at in developing, recognizing strengths, developing individuals to maximize their abilities and to realize their dreams and make it to the NFL and then become successful player, make it to Division one college football, becomes successful players and win a national championship and then be able to move on to the NFL and so many of those and it's look, all right, it just brought over a bunch of guys from Michigan. Yeah, look what they did. They took him bunch of three stars and turn him into the national champs, knocked off Alabama and ended up, you know, going to back to back playoffs and dominating Ohio State. When you look at the recruiting rankings, Ohio State laps the field, let alone Michigan, and they beat them three times in a row. So please bring me cling Scale, bring me Elston, bring me Jesse Minner, bring me Ben Herbert, bring me all those guys because of what they were able to do.
Speaker 2: You know, last or a week before the Rose Bowl. It's just another example of this.
Speaker 3: I interviewed Mason Graham, who went to survey it's here defensive lineman from Michigan and he's a sophomore, and you talk about developing players, and he was most outstanding player of the Rose Bowl, Like he dominated the end of that game.
Speaker 2: To beat Alabama.
Speaker 3: And it's just another example of what you were saying, Like, you know, you bring these guys, they're not necessarily five stars, but you get the most out of them. And I look at the roster and we've discussed, you know, what does this mean for Quentin Johnson. You mentioned we have a wide receivers coach coming from Seattle who's developed DK Metcalf and worked with Lockett and Smith and Jigba, Like you know, like there's a lot of guys on this staff that I think can get the most out of the current players on the roster, which leads me to the draft and where we're gonna go in terms of free agency. You mentioned Hortiz has a lot of decisions to make, But I just look at five overall, and I think as we get into February and approach to Combine, there's going to be a lot of talk about the quarterbacks and a lot of talk about some of these wide receivers in the top five. Who's willing to come up for a quarterback? You know, right now the names are the names that are hot, or Williams, Jaydon Daniels, Drake May. You know, Jim thinks j. J. McCarthy should be number one overall. You know Michael Pennix, I think impressing people at the Senior Bowl, just his interviews, and you know what he was able to do in his body of work at Washington. So like, who's gonna come up? Minnesota needs quarterback, Atlanta needs a quarterback? Does Pittsburgh need a quarterback? You know, like Vegas does, Denver does. They're not going to trade with the Chargers, but I think it just goes to show that at number five overall, a quarterback maybe on the board for a lot of teams, and maybe that leads the Charges to get multiple picks in the first round, a future first, a couple extra picks in the second. I mean, there's a lot of possibilities at number five overall.
Speaker 1: Sure, And I think when you look into positional value, there are so many tackles in that people have projected as first round level tackles. So if that's the path you're going to go, and not right now is the line season we have entered it, and you're hearing about the Patriots may be interested in trading for Justin Fields or Russell Wilson or bringing in Kirk Cousins and drafting Marvin Harrison at number three, which to me signals if you want Drake may or Jaden Daniels, we're open for business. There's some people saying that maybe Marvin Harrison isn't going to be the number one receiver, that Romadonsay is starting to make some and that they're hearing that any of these three receivers could go as the first receiver off the board. And now you're sitting at five, and you know, and Marvin Harrison Junior is there. There's so many things that there's so many iterations of what the top five look like. But I bring up the tackles and the depth and the depth at corner. You think about the Chargers definitely need to draft a corner. And when you're talking Terry and Arnold, where can you get him? Can you trade back multiple times? If McCarthy is as impressive as Jim Harbaugh thinks he is, and it appears as though he is now that number four quarterback that he has jumped Bonnicks, he has jumped Michael Pennix. He's number four, so many of these there's a reason why the mock drafts now have him firmly in the top fifteen. Feels like people are impressed with him, and they are he is going to be a first round talent, and once he gets to that point, now it's a race. Now it's a race to get McCarthy. If that many teams that are in that range, Broncos, the Raiders, the Vikings, the Falcons, that all of those teams now have to worry about the other jumping them to get their guy. If they really really like JJ McCarthy and think he is a franchise quarterback. So that's where the trade down really could come into play. I do not believe for a second that Jayden Daniels, Drake May or Caleb Williams are going to make it to five. It's it's not gonna happen. I cannot envision any world where two wide receivers or a wide receiver and an offensive lineman get taken at three and four to force one of those three down. Drake is too good. Like they're they're trying to poo poo Drake May is getting dragged through the dirt right now. It's gonna change once people stand next to him and they realize what he looks like, and when he gets to the combine and he shows off his athleticism, they're going to realize, Okay, this is this is a franchise level quarterback that's worth taking a swing. And not to mention the interviews when you hear about what an incredible brain he's got, how his presence, the leadership, all of that stuff, those guys are going to go one, two three. I firmly believe that whether or not it's picked in the order, Caleb's going first. And whether or not the Commanders take Jaden Daniels or Drake May and the Patriots take Jaden Daniels or Drake May or perhaps that's the one where you could get a wrinkle. I could see maybe let's just say the Patriots love Jaden Daniels and they're not crazy about Drake May, and they know they have options outside of the dread. That's the one that I could see moving out of there. If if that's the way it breaks, and then who knows that that could end up being the you know, if a doonsay is what Daniel Jeremiah thinks he is. Larry Fitzgerald, Yeah, he's top three pick. And if Marvin Harrison Junior is a wide receiver when it comes to side speeds and size, speed and production that we haven't seen in a long time, than okay, maybe maybe they do catch a break. Maybe one of those guys does slip to five, and now you can get that haul that Joe Ortiez is looking for because he wants more picks. He wants more picks, he wants to start that comp pick cycle. So I would be floored if there isn't a reasonable trade offer made that gives them multiple picks in the top one hundred in this draft that he wouldn't accept.
Speaker 3: That's why the combine is going to be so important, because because you're right about the top three. Like it's also because the Bears, Commanders, and Patriots all need quarterbacks. It's not like they would want to veer and get a Marvin Harrison or a Duneza in the top three. It's not gonna happen. Like Chicago, they either need to make a decision on fields or take Caleb Williams. And it seems like that's Caleb Waives is probably gonna be the answer there. The Commanders are starting from scratch with a new coach, new GM. They're going to draft a quarterback, and the Patriots in a quarterback too. They know that it gets interesting at four and five because if that's the case, Chargers are gonna have a Doonsay or Marvin Harrison Jr.
Speaker 2: In their lap.
Speaker 3: If they wont like that, that's gonna happen. And it just depends on Okay, do we would we rather pair Justin Herbert and Marvin Harrison Junior for the next decade or is it more conducive to just trading out getting multiple picks, building back this defense, getting an offensive lineman, getting a wide receiver later in the first or second round that we think can compare with either Keenan or Quintin and go on that route. It's it's a good position to be in for Joe Ortiz. Frankly, I mean, you're either gonna get a blue chipper or you're gonna get multiple picks and maybe future picks.
Speaker 1: Right, They're going to be in a position to draft either the top tackle or a wide receiver that on many boards is the number one wide receiver, the number one corner that the number one defensive end Dallas Turner like, they're going to have their choice of premy players at their position, which.
Speaker 2: I hate it.
Speaker 3: Rupt but you you had an interview with Ryan Leaf and you asked him who would you rather have?
Speaker 2: Would you rather have a stud receiver or offensive lineman?
Speaker 1: And he said what he said, give me the old lineman.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But but remember and and I tend to agree with that. I think just the way that Jim Harbaugh wants to play, your lines have to be two of the two of the best position groups on your team with the way they want to play. And we know the line they have right now at this moment has struggled to run block. It's just reality. They have not been able to open up those holes. So something needs to be done there. Whatever it is, it needs to change. Maybe it's a center, maybe it's an interior linement that you can now get in the second and third round. And they feel like, if we can just improve our interior line play and we can make it work with the tackles, whether that's Trey Pipkins or kick Jamari back out there, we feel like we can make this work so that's that's up to Devlen and Nick Hardwick to figure out how close are we with this group versus changing. And so as I'm going, I'm looking at the PFF mock draft right now, which I love. We've done this before. It's great. You know, whether we get Dana on or who's coming on to talk about this, so pretty much in every one of the scenarios, the you know, the that's what's in front of them. And so they do this great The PFF box draft does this great thing where they then have trades available and it's the number of teams that are willing to make a trade for your pick, and you can go in and you can select the picks that you would want and how far back you would go, and it's really a fun exercise to kind of figure out, Okay, how many different ways can this break and what would be available to them if X number of plays are there. But I kind of strayed there because I was getting excited to kind of look at all of this. But what I'm getting at is I think if they're going to build it in the image of the people they've hired, you know what Ryan Leif said and what Jim Harbaugh has said, and what Joe Ortiz has said, I think we would be incredibly surprised if they did not build it through the offensive line. But you said it, Chris. The combine can change that when you see these players for the first time, when you're standing next to them, when they're in that room with you, when you're able to compare them. And I know it's just running drills, but you can see it when they're when they're running next to each other and hey, l m n oh, neighbors a doon, say they're going to be in the same group, and you're going to see them right next to each other alphabetically, numerically, those guys are probably going to be right next to each other on the field in all of those drills, and you are going to be able to do and apples to apples, compare Garrison, and it's gonna be fun. And that's the sort of thing that can change, can change draft order, can change this, and that's one of the reasons why Justin Herbert, who took a lot of incoming prior to the combine, when that dude stepped on that field at the combine and kind of settled down after those first couple throws, he just he lit it up and everybody walked out going, Okay, we do have three first round quarterbacks and it's not even close that these three guys are going to be drafted immediately to Herbert and Joe Burrow. And and that was something that I felt happened at the combine. You could just you could see it. The guy's arm was incredible, and his stature was incredible. When he was standing out there. You could see him standing next to the other quarterbacks and just dwarfing them in terms of his his his height, and his and his weight. So these things can change. But I don't even know where I started. Oh, but it's so yeah, this is where I'm going. Sorry, I'm a lot of my train of thought. To Ryan Lee's point, we just had this. We just had this conversation four years ago with the Bengals. What do they do? Do you take Penny Seool and protect Joe Burrow or do you take the weapon and Jamar Chase and that protects Joe Burrow. What's the best way to go about it? And I think if you had an opportunity to ask the Bengals for a do over, knowing that Penny Seol has become an All Pro tackle. Would you do it any differently? I don't think they would. I think they got Super Bowl. Yeah, we're good. We're good taking the weapon. So it's important to remember that that that that this team, which had an abomination of an offensive line, had a chance to take an all Pro tackle projected to be an all Pro tackle, and they opted to go playmaker and it worked out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't I don't think there's a wrong end. I mean, and for the case of the Lions, right, they got they got their all pro lockdown tackle and went to an NFC Championship game. They're all the way back now, their Super Bowl contenders here, probably for the next few years and maybe beyond that. One of the things that I think Michael Lombardi said about a month or two ago that stuck with me was, you know, we see all these mock drafts in like late December, early January, and it's amazing how quickly they change once we get to the combine, because actually that's when NFL evaluators are actually doing the evaluations, and they hear things and then some of the guys that you think are top five picks are really like top fifteen picks and some of the quarterbacks that you don't think our first rounders could be top ten or top twelve picks based on some of the evaluations. And maybe that's something that we're seeing with JJ McCarthy. Maybe that's something that you know, like the medical for Michael Panics is going to be paramount at the combine.
Speaker 2: Bow Nix has a lot of starts under his belt in college football.
Speaker 3: Is that enough for a team to say, Hey, I think that this guy could be a starting quarterback in the NFL? So like I also I bring this point to to the AFC West and the Broncos and the Raiders, Like I feel like one of those teams or maybe both of those teams are going to try to trade up now. I especially past years, I think we've seen like teams within their own division make trades with each other, which is very rare, Like I think the Giants and Eagles were making trades and stuff like do you trade with a division arrival?
Speaker 2: Does it matter? Or you know you know why they're moving up? Right?
Speaker 3: Like so I guess I guess all that factors in if there's another team, maybe an NFC team that wants wants the trade, but maybe the package is and it's fruitful.
Speaker 2: Do you take it? Because it's an NFC team, I mean, there's a lot of little factors here.
Speaker 1: I would assume it's it's independent, completely independent of the team. Now, if they're coming up to get JJ McCarthy and Jim Harbos like absolutely not, Ye do not trust me. This guy is going to be a franchise quarterback. You are not trading him to You are not trading with the Broncos and the Raiders, then I could see that certainly. But if they're saying, well, the Raiders are giving us a one, a two, next year's one and a fool, Okay, let's go get it. We need the picks, and we we have seventeen first round grades on seventeen players, and at thirteen we're gonna be able to get one of our first round graded players, so we're good. And on top of that, now we've got two twos. Maybe it's a three as well. You know what, you know, the Broncos don't have a two, so that to me, that takes them out of the mix. I would assume the Chargers would be more interested in trying to get this thing stocked this year as opposed to taking their twenty twenty five to one, twenty twenty five to three and a three this something like that. I would suspect they would prefer if they're trading back that far. If they're going from five to twelve or thirteen, you're getting a one next year first year, and I would guess they'd want a two this year as well, so you get the one, the two this year, and probably a four something along those lines. I don't have the Jimmy Johnson Shart in front of me to equate it what the five is worth, but it would lead me to believe you're getting a one next year and probably a two or a three this year, so you'd want that extra top one hunter pick, And to me, I don't. I think it would completely depend because it's going to be McCarthy. That's who we're talking about. That's what makes it interesting is it's just does does Jim Harball really put his money where his mouth is and say no, you are not trading in the division. And to me, if that's the case, if he has thought, if the two teams are willing to come up to get him, then you're probably going to have a similar evaluation from the Vikings and the Falcons and the Giants and those other teams that very well could be looking as well. And I would imagine you might be able to trade back a little bit closer to where the blue chip players are still get Terry and Arnold, you know, Fuaga, something along those lines, Vashanu like that that sort of tackle corner something brock Bowers, if you can, you know that that's where it ends up at thirteen or something. And now it makes sense that's maybe you know what you're talking what you're speaking to, Chris.
Speaker 2: You know what else is interesting?
Speaker 3: Like so Antonio appears he was on the Pivot, the podcast with the Ryan Clark and he said something to the effect of everybody has a price, you know. Like Jayden Daniels, for instance, was with him at Arizona State. He's a Sam Bernardino kid. Like, we don't know the mindset of the commanders in the Patriots. We know that they need quarterbacks, but we know that Adam Peters probably wants as many picks as possible to rebuild that roster. We know New England probably wants as many picks as possible in addition to a quarterback, so they could blow the Commanders or the Patriots away with a deal that's like, okay, well, shoot, we cannot pass this up because we're gonna get multiple first and you know, the Commanders.
Speaker 2: Already have five picks on the top one hundred.
Speaker 3: If they can get two or three more, it's like, oh God, we're going to set up our franchise for success for a long time. So you just wonder about the wild cards there, Like, I know that the Commanders and Patriots need a quarterback. In the top three are going to be quarterbacks. But who's to say some team doesn't come out of nowhere like the Raiders and say this is the missing piece to our team. We're gonna be tough, we're gonna be physical, but we need a quarterback. We know that Tom Telesco has had a history of drafting quarterbacks. I don't know how much ammunition is needed for the ability to move to two or three, but I just I look at it from just the AFC West perspective. With Mahomes and Herbert already in the division, I think the Raiders and the Broncos realize that they can't compete unless they have a franchise guy.
Speaker 1: So the thing that's important for this exercise is that you have to look to the next year. We knew last year was not going to be a good quarterback draft. That's what it was thought to be. Now CJ. Stroud turned out to be incredible, but it was not thought to be a good quarterback draft. And it wasn't year before not a good quarterback draft. Everybody pointed to this year. This year is going to be a good you can get your elite Caleb Williams, Drake May. Now Jaden Daniels worked himself into that conversation with what he did this past season. He wasn't thought to be in that commerce. It was May Williams and then there was a gap. But everybody felt good about bo Nicks, about Penix with the medical if it checked out, Okay, about JJ McCarthy. Those guys were already being mentioned as Okay, let's see how this season goes for them, because they could work their way. I am not hearing any of that for next year. So that's the trick is if you are sitting there at number two and you're staring at Drake May and Jade Daniels three at Drake may or. Jaden Daniels, I think you're probably gonna stick and pick now with Jayden. And I talked to one of his former coaches during the season and he said, Combine's going to be interesting because people are going to stand next to him and they're going to be like, whoa he is? He is a string being he and that's what you need to be worried about. And that's so that's going to be interesting is when people get next to Jadeen Daniels and recognize how thin he is and he I think. I think I read somewhere that he was going to come in over two hundred and five pounds, and I was like, I want to see that that that'll be interesting because I don't know that's gonna get put together. So that's that's something they can change. They can change things, But to me, he's incredible. Go back and watch Jaydon daniels highlights and it's it's something to watch. And remember he took a beating in the SEC, so that's where it balances out. He's thin, that's a little bit of a concern, but he was not afraid to run. He was not afraid to take on contact, and he bounced right back up after getting absolutely blown off the frame because some giant SEC defender was the one making the tackle. So that's the reason why I'd be very, very surprised if those three teams did not draft quarterbacks. It just makes these these guys are too good, They are way too good and too promising of prospects to not want it to not want to take one of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you if you have convision, you got to take.
Speaker 3: I mean they brought in Cliff Kingsbury for a reason, right, like right, he has a relationship with Caleb Williams. I think Jayden Daniels would would be able to run his system through a t I think he has a connection to Drake May too. So it's like all three of those guys, you know, if you draft one of them, that could be your franchise guy.
Speaker 1: And they already passed on Justin Herbert to take Chase Young. They can't afford to do it again. They they've they've got to get their core. They have not had a quarterback in decades, like they've got to her since Robert Griffin before he got hurt. And obviously Kirk Cousins was a pleasant surprise. The way he emerged. But think about the electricity in that city on that team when Griffin at number two turned out to be everything he thought he was going to be, Like they they need to get that back. And Jayden Daniels to me, seems to be the perfect person. Or Drake May because he's from the you know, because he's he's from that general area as well. It's also incredibly exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 3: I was at the first Robert Griffin the thirds first game in New Orleans and you know, he's he was from New Orleans and just it was like a video game the way that Kyle Shanahan and Mike Shanahan used him and really started like the zone read.
Speaker 2: That's when the zone read started. And then Russell Wilson.
Speaker 3: Was at Draft Plass and Colin Kaepernick started doing it, and you know with Jim Marball, you know, so you know, there you go. I like, I just love the possibilities of the offense with Justin too. If we're bringing it back to the Chargers, like you know, the good thing is, man the charge, you can take a breath, like you've got a franchise guy, Like that's that's the most important thing here. So it's just a matter of you know, do you get justin a weapon, do you get on a right tackle? Do you beef up the defense? And I think there's a lot of possibilities their money.
Speaker 1: For me, it's and it's something that we talked about last year going into the draft. Offense offense, offense, offense, offense, offense, because you just you've got to make sure you continue to support develop And yes, Herbert's still developing. He's oh he's twenty five, twenty six, like they're still room to grow. Oh, you've got to do everything you've popp And here's the other thing, and I know they've they've said we expect to compete every year. And I understand that the amount of money you're spending on this coaching staff, the amount of money you're going to spend on the roster, on the facility. Yeah, you want to win. You don't want to be a seven and ten team because you've got to restructure and rebuild it. No, you want to be a ten and seven team, or an eleven and six team, or a twelve and five team, and you want to punch your ticket to the tournament. But to me, I've got this new head coach got all this excitement. What's what's more exciting than Justin Herbert in offense? Like, I get it. You want to you want to grind it out, and you want to draft a bunch of defensive players. And look, we fix the run d and now we're we're keeping opponents. We're not dead last and all these different categories. Okay, that's that's cool. I'm glad you fixed the DAL or fix the old line. Justin Herbert's back to throwing for forty seven hundred yards and thirty five touchdowns and we've got these explosive playmakers. And check out this new running back week in the second round. And you know what I mean, Like, what what's gonna move the needle? What's gonna get people excited more? And I know you don't do it for the fans, but I'm simply saying, if presented with two options, it's it's not even it's at the scales tips so heavily in favor of the offense because of what it means to the brand, what it means to your superstar, what it means to the fans that want to believe. Okay, here we go. Justin Herbert is gonna have the same offensive system now because the head coach is offensive minded and we're not gonna lose offensive coordinators. And and finally some continuity for like, that's the thing about people taking shots at at Herbert and why is he not? Is is Jordan Love now surpassing justin Herbert? Jordan Love had a great season, no doubt about it. He's been sitting and watching for four years and and he's it's the same system. It's Matt LeFleur who's calling the plays. Patrick Malmes has had Andy Reid his entire career, and he is he had an opportunity to sit for a year and watch and learn from Alex Smith. Like it hasn't changed. It's just the two of them doing the exact same thing for six years. So it should look like that Joe Burrow Zach Taylor have been doing the same and Brian Callahan the exact same thing for four years. So you finally are going to get this continuity for Herbert, And to me, I would want to do everything. However, the whatever the approach is, if it's tackle in the first round, center in the second round, tight end in the third round, that's fine. If you want to just fix the line, and you feel like with Quinton and Josh Palmer and Keenan Allen, you've got enough. To me, that's enough. I'm fine with that. If those are the receivers you're going into the season with, and you can get those three and then maybe find somebody with some serious speed in the third or the fourth something like that that you can develop. Great, that's like to me that that works, totally works, And that's probably as opposed to you need a corner, You need interior Lignement, Terry and Arnold in the one, Chris Jenkins in the second round, Like, Okay, I get it too, but that doesn't get me as excited now I would love it, because god knows, we haven't drafted a corner since I've been here. They have not drafted a corner in the top two three rounds. A second round for a sante in the second round was the only one like.
Speaker 2: Was Verrett, Like it was Tom's first pick was Verrett right.
Speaker 1: Ten years ago? Like that, you need every single draft, Like if I were running a draft, every single draft, I am taking a corner and an offensive lineman with my first three picks. First three picks. One of those three I am taking an offensive lineman or a corner you just you have to. They're so expensive, they're so hard to find, they're so important. Like that's that's something that that I would like to see moving forward, is you've got to make sure those positions are constantly stacked because they're just so darn important in the NFL.
Speaker 3: Right now, Yeah, I'm confident. Just let Joe do his thing, right, he's he's he's seen it, he's done it. He's got a lot to work with, and whatever he decides to do with that fifth pick, I think will be obviously in the best interest of the Chargers. So let Joe cook, right, that should be we should get out on a T shirt. You know, another thing that I didn't mentioned about the coaching staff that you mentioned continuity. Just getting Shane Day back I think is big, you know. Yeah, for Justin, I think that that's a you know, because he's had so much change and turn over year after year after year, that getting somebody who he had a good relationship with and is familiar with get him back in the building. Like, I just think that that's another thing that shouldn't be overstated. You know, we mentioned all these guys. But getting Shane Day back in the mix, especially the year that he had in Houston with CJ. Stroud and what they were able to do offensively. You know, she's coming off a pretty big off season.
Speaker 1: He and Justin Thicke as thieves, loved each other. We'd see him together all the time. I love Shane because he's a flip flops guy. And maybe maybe he and I together can lobby coach and say, listen, flip flops on the plane, just asking, just asking. There was only one line Brandon Staley's travel itinerary when it came to what you could and couldn't wear. That was it one. No flip flops. And for Shane, for me, somebody who wears pretty much only flip flops.
Speaker 2: Or side, you could only wear flip flops.
Speaker 1: Whatever you want to wear, you can wear. I'm just saying, and look, you want me, if you want me to put socks on, socks and sandals, I'll get some slides and I'll put a pair of socks on. That's fine. Yeah, I got my feet. It's all I wear. So they've spread out. They like flip flops, they like slides. That would be just heaven for me. But Shane and Justin hit it off. They were a it was a it was a great partnership. And certainly to have somebody that you have unwavering and implicit trust in in the quarterback room, especially because we don't know what the future is going to be for Easton and how important that partnership was for those two salary caps tricky, and believe it or not, when you start talking about veterans and two million dollars, three million dollars, that becomes a bit of an issue moving forward. So that'll be an interesting one. So to get Shane back, I think is very It's a great point, Chris. It's very important for for Justin's comfort as he transitions to another new offensive system, his fourth in five years.
Speaker 3: Money final thing, Let's let's talk about the super Bowl. Excuse your thoughts on the game.
Speaker 1: Hold on, Let's do a little Let's do one of these real quick. You're ready, Yes, let's do what you want? Do you want to do two round or three? Run? Do three round? Yeah? Three three round? Pff. Let's see draft for needs, we'll do a little bit more care for positional value.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that that Hortt's is probably a positional value. Guys talked about draft and defensive line and offensive line.
Speaker 2: So we should do this at the end of every podcast until the drafts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Moving forward, we'll do three rounds. So here we go and we're off. So as we figured, the three quarterbacks went one, two through or actually no, look at that, so it went Caleb, Drake, Malik, and Marvin. So Jayden Daniels is still on, which is why we have six trades available to us.
Speaker 2: Here we go, Here we go.
Speaker 1: We have Atlanta, the Raiders, the Colts, the Texans, the Panthers, and the Patriots all willing to trade up with us. The Falcons are at eight, which I'm comfortable with, so let's take We'll give them five. We'll take eight, we'll take forty three, we'll take one two, and then we'll go next year's Let's go next year's three, since we're getting their second, their fifth, the number eight overall, to go back three and we'll take a three.
Speaker 2: L what's Carolina thinking, what's Indianapolis thinking?
Speaker 1: Well, no, it's I don't was it Carolina? I said, no, it was Indianapolis. They probably want to jump up to get I don't know it doesn't make any sense to me. But let's just see if we can get this trade to be accepted. And yes, it is all right. So now we got eight forty three. What we got four picks three this year for number five. Now move back to eight and see this thing's too random. We still have a Douonsay on the board. We still have Bowers on the board. So we have Bowers a Donsay fuaga. If we want to take the tackle out of Oregon State, how about we go with Donsay. Let's go with all right, Donsay's our guy. We get him at number eight. Now we get to the second and we got two picks thirty seven and forty three. We do have two trade offers. We've got the Giants that are at thirty nine. We'd only move back two spots, so we'll absolutely take that. We'll give them thirty seven and we'll go ahead and take pick let's say we'll take there. What can we do, We'll take their one hundred and eight, we'll move back to we'll take pick thirty seven, and then we'll take pick oneh eight and we yep, and it's accepted. Bang, we've added another pick. Here we go now we're thirty nine.
Speaker 2: And watching.
Speaker 1: Listen, this is gonna this is work. This thing's ridiculous, by the way, there's no way it works out this way, but whatever, let's enjoy it. So I'm looking at Zach Frasier Center from West Virginia. Yeah, probably probably second best center, or Chris Jenkins is there. So but here's the good news. We still have pick forty three because of our first trade down. So we've got do we take.
Speaker 2: Who's he's more likely to go off the board?
Speaker 1: I would think I would think that Jenkins is more likely to go off the board. I think there's a little bit more of a premium on defensive and interior lineman than a center. Need Wise, I'd probably prefer to take Fraser, but I'm guessing Jenkins won't be there at forty three. Fraser very well could be. Okay, what do you think. I'm leaving it up to you.
Speaker 2: Let's throw the Michigan bias in there.
Speaker 1: In right and get him. We'll take Jenkins and Fraser still there. Here we go. So now we got Fraser, and now we are back at pick number sixty nine, and here's our Michigan bias again. Chris we got Junior Colson sitting there. Somehow he's slid. One of the best linebackers in the draft, the defensive captain, the straw that stirred the defensive drink on the Wolverines. He's sitting there. We already got our wide receiver in Roma. Dounon say, so we're good there, Jalen Wright. The running back is there, korm is gone, Brooks is gone in terms of running back. So do you take another Michigan guy and Junior Colson? To me, it makes sense pair him with Henley and my gosh, talk about athletic linebackers.
Speaker 3: Knows knows the system. A rookie that comes in knows the system. You get to two defensive guys who know Jesse Minner. You already have a potential starting center. You have a playmaker and a Duneza to pair with Keenan and Quintin or Mike or whoever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why not?
Speaker 1: All right, Junior Colson it is.
Speaker 2: And so that's that's a nice company.
Speaker 1: I mean, like, talk about it. And here we go. We got ourselves an A from the PFF A dunsay a plus at number seven. We got a B for our trade with the Giants. Getting the one hundred and eighth pick and the thirty ninth pick to go with pick number eight. Jenkins, we get a B plus. Fraser, they give us a B minus. Colson, they give us an A minus overall grade. Bang A what a hall? That would be no chance of that happening. But and this is fairytale walking out of the first one hundred picks with a Dounzay, Jenkins, Frasier and Colson. Home run, freaking home run.
Speaker 3: You know what, We're gonna see Joe at the combine and you just, hey, Joe, you know what I did this pff mock exercise.
Speaker 2: Just want to run by you?
Speaker 1: So you know what, We'll run one really with a stick and pick. No Trasier, So let's just do it a quick stick and pick because that was stupid. So let's uh, here we go, stick and pick and number five we got a shot at Joe alt Well, alt Adunza, Bowers, Fishanu Fuaga, all of those are available to us.
Speaker 2: So let's hey, did you see bowersticks to Gronk in that picture?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is not like people don't realize that Bowers is not built like Gronk. He is a smaller guy. He's just incredibly strong, incredibly athletic. You know that he's he's a really just dense, muscled, incredibly strong human being. But that's yeah, that's a little bit of a concern if you're thinking about, okay, can my tight end block a defense of well, look, no tight en should have be able to block a defenseman. But so that's so to me, let's let's take all let's go with the tackle here.
Speaker 2: I think all it's good.
Speaker 1: And see now we get to the pick thirty seven and same to me, same situation. Right, We've got oh, well, look at that Tyler Guiden is there. He slipped the Oklahoma tackle, but you don't need him Freight. I think we're looking at the same situation, right, Fraser or Jenkins? Which one makes more sense? Do you just completely revamp the offensive line and now you're set with Slater, Zion Frasier, you have Jamari inside or maybe you're looking for a guard a little bit later, and you have alt as your tackle, and now Pipkins can be your swing tackle or Jamari can be your swing you know, you.
Speaker 3: Know, I'm okay with Cohen unsexy here, right, just like get getting center, I think is vital right.
Speaker 2: We saw how important Corey Linsley was of this team.
Speaker 3: Man, I think I think not messing around with that position starting in twenty twenty four is probably the good way go.
Speaker 1: There we go. So then you get Fraser and now very similar, very similar situation where you've got Junior Colson sitting there at sixty nine. Who else is there is? You know what? I do like Jayleen McMillan the wide receiver out of Washington, Brennan Rice explosive receiver out of sc So there's all. You know what, Austin Booker the edge out of Kansas. He's going to have a really good combine. You're going to see him climb, so you could go defensive end there, pair him with Tuley.
Speaker 3: I want to see Jerry Rice around so far, so give me Brendan all right, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Just want to I want to see I want Jerry in the mix.
Speaker 3: I want Jerry Gates lt All on the field before the game bringing a Trojan B minus.
Speaker 1: We got a B plus for the Joe altpick a C minus. They don't like Fraser. I don't know if that's because of the medical but by all accounts it sounds like he's already over the broken leg, so I don't know why that's getting such a bad a grade. There C minus and then B plus for Brennan, So yeah, there we go take it. Yeah, it's a blast. It is an absolute blast doing this. It's it's hilarious. I guys ended up wasting like forty five minutes before the pod this morning, screwing.
Speaker 2: Around replying the comments.
Speaker 3: If you think me and money should have a role in personnel, it's twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Let us know you pick of our picks.
Speaker 3: Really just a couple of minutes on the Super Bowl, like Mahomes did it again, Kelsey did it again.
Speaker 2: They're running everybody back. Uh, but I love it.
Speaker 3: I think that this is the this is going to be a division where you know, everybody's just going to crown the Chiefs, and you know deservedly so. And it's it's just going to be musty football with with Peyton Harborne reading the division. Man.
Speaker 1: So I want to make sure I say I frame this the right way. Totally understand why you take Zion. You've got Herbert, you want to protect him at all costs. Tom came from Indianapolis, where Andrew Luck got his head beat in because they did not have a good offensive line. But this is where you hear the term positional value. And I know where you're going because we talked about it. Trent McDuffie is one of the best corners I had seen in college football in a long, long time. And that's what we were talking about, Like, you know, you got a chance to take McDuffie here, and you want to talk about an elite human being, elite corner and he's turned into the best slot corner in the league. And you saw what he did in that game. He dominated that game absolutely, And that's you draft interior lineman you can draft in the second and the third and the fourth round. Corners you got to draft in the first round. Tackles you have to draft in the first round. Like that's quarterbacks you have to draft in the third. There's certain positions defensive ends in the first round for the most part. Like that's something to keep in mind. And that's why when you're sitting at I think it was picked seventeen, right, isn't that what Zion was. I think it was seventeen. Yeah, you see, and you're in too. From what I understand, that's what the big debate was, do we take the corner, Do we take the the number one guard, or do we take this corner that's slid because there's some size concerns. Will he be able to play outside? Listen, he can play wherever the hell he wants. I got tackles. He's I know that he's not ideal size, but man, he's incredible. So that's every time I watched him make a play, I'm just like man Bosco kid, just sitting right there.
Speaker 3: Wait, you know, I remember how much he talked about him leading up to the third and four where he was the free rusher.
Speaker 1: That right, that was the game, man, game, that's the game.
Speaker 3: In fact, Noolo like he doesn't get enough credit for for what he does, especially in crunch time and what he was able to do to the Niners in that game. But you're right, man, seeing McDuffie, you're you're envious of a of a player like that and you hate it you have to face him twice a year.
Speaker 1: Undred percent. And I think that game also was a reminder of execution that the Chiefs were gettable all year. They just execute at such a premium compared to other teams. That's how they win these games. Their execution is they're never gonna let you pull away, whether they're trading punches with you offensively or their defense is trading punches. And that's what that game was. It was the defense playing against two elite defenses, going head to head and just giving Mahomes an opportunity. And that's something that I would love to see develop where we saw many an occasion where either the offense gave the defense an opportunity or the defense gave the Chargers offense and opportunity and they weren't able to take advantage of it. And that's what the Chiefs did. They were getting they were getting just destroyed. Their offense was doing nothing, they had nothing going on, but the defense was able to keep them in it, creating a turnover, holding them to field goals. And then here we go. Here's our bit of Chief's luck like we always get because to some degree you make your own luck because you keep the game close. And here's the muff punt bounces off somebody's leg. Next play, touchdown. Now our offense is back in sync and we're getting back after this. And that's that's my takeaway is just execution is going to be so important, and you saw that in this game, an elite defense, elite offense being able to take advantage of opportunity.
Speaker 3: It was the best defense that Patrick Mahomes has had since he became a Kansas City chief.
Speaker 1: It's going to have it next year too, he will.
Speaker 3: And it also just reminds me too that if you have a quarterback, you always have a chance, and when you have an elite quarterback, you're always going to.
Speaker 2: Be in games.
Speaker 3: And that that's why I think charges Fins should be encouraged to justin Herbers under center, and hopefully with the coaching of Jim Rball and the staff and just having the complimentary pieces around him, we'll start to see that luck kind of change in the favor of.
Speaker 2: The Chargers here over the next couple of years.
Speaker 1: But yeah, like.
Speaker 2: What Mahomes can do when it counts.
Speaker 3: I mean, listen, Steve Wolks got fired and he had he shut them down for a majority of the game.
Speaker 1: You know, it was odd, right, right, it was. It was a bit odd. But I think when you looked at the close of the season, the two playoff games, their run defense was not great and they had.
Speaker 3: The game in Minnesota too, where they did it like a zero blitz and he moved out from the Yeah.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, the only reason you make that move is because there's somebody else out there that you like more to me, So I'll be interested to see who he hires, because that's why. Why would you get rid of a guy that that held Patrick Mahomes to nineteen points and you couldn't beat them? You tell me, you tell me, that's what did I'm trying to think of what did Gus used to say. Gus used to say. I remember, he used to say, hey, with this guy, and this is when they had Tyreek Hill, remember, and so he used to say, as far as I'm concerned, seven a quarter, If we can hold them to seven a quarter, we got a shot. And that's when the offense was playing at a high level, and he's like, we're going to have to beat the Chiefs twenty nine to twenty eight, thirty one, twenty eight. That's just reality. That's how high octane this offense is. And you go into a game and you say to your defensive coordinator can you hold them to less than three touchdowns? And he says, yes, I can give me that guy all day. I'll take that guy all day long. Less than three touchdowns in regulation and you should have won.
Speaker 3: Well, the Chiefs they found something with a lot of the key pieces that they got on defense, and then they rubbed that defense a lot this year.
Speaker 2: You know you don't.
Speaker 3: You didn't have that vertical passing game and you had a lot of guys. So much was made about the drops from the wide receivers and when it counted. But cool Hartman makes the makes the game winning play in the Super Bowl. But I I do think that outside of mahomes Van, you tip your head to Steve Spagnola in that defense, and the Chargers are gonna have to face them twice a year.
Speaker 1: They're pretty good, no doubt, and they're they're not going anywhere. Chris Jones will be back. They'll resign him. Carl Loftus is on a rookie deal. Dana Panell, those guys they've drafted so well you go to the next level. They're linebackers. Nick Bolton, Willie Gay. We know our old friend Drew Trank will maybe bring him back as a free agent. Say sorry about that, wasn't us previous coaching regime love to have you back. Obviously, the secondary with Snead and McDuffie, like they're they're incredible. Reid played at a very high level, signed as a free agent, so that's that's a load. And and Spagnola is an incredible coordinator and and calls a heck of a game. So it's gonna be tough to knock them off. But I got faith. I got faith in this coaching staff and and the way they're gonna rebuild this and the players they're going to keep around to figure out a way. Yep.
Speaker 3: Well, guys, we're gonna be the Combine in a couple of weeks, and we're gonna have a bunch of episodes for you, just a ton of interviews.
Speaker 2: So maybe next week we do a Q and a.
Speaker 3: Get get some fan questions, talk about the draft, talk about the coaching staff and anything that may come up ahead of the Combine, answer some questions, and then get to Indy for.
Speaker 1: Sure looking forward to Its gonna be a lot. It's the best time. Man, It's so much fun right now with just team building, restocking, reshaping, all the stuff. Now that they have their staff that's going to come into play over the next two months. Is going to be very exciting and we're gonna be all over it for the next every single week. And like you said, when we go to the Combine a week from today, we're doing this on Thursday to fifteenth, so we'll go a week from Monday is when we'll head out, and we'll be there Monday through Friday, talking to all our old friends, some new friends. Obviously the pressers with with coach Harbaugh and general manager Joe Ortiz, and hopefully we'll get both of them on if we can get a little window there and knock it out. So be sure to pay attention because that week it's gonna be more more than just a single pod. There's gonna be a lot that that we're gonna throw your way.
Speaker 3: Charges Weekly is chargers week long. Charge charges week long is where we're gonna call it through the copy at all right, all right, guys, So for buddy, I'm Chris.
Speaker 2: This has been Charges Weekly. We'll see you next week.