Speaker 1: Hey, this is Anny and Samantha and.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Steff. I've never told your production of I Heart Radio.
Speaker 3: And welcome to another edition of Happy Hour. Go ahead and upfront, we are drinking adult beverages. So if you are partaking and whatever you're doing, do so responsibly. Annie, that's to you as well.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Also, currently not sponsored by any of these products.
Speaker 1: Of course, dynamic has changed.
Speaker 3: Maybe they like our episode and they ask us to who knows, No matter what, Currently this is not a sponsorship. Today we did purchase this. I'm gonna get reimbursed this time around. I swear to god, I'm the worst about this. But today we are actually kind of going back to the root of what we were doing doing with the Happy Hour, even though we love what it is, what has become I guess what is bloomed to become. But we are featuring an actual liquor or company led by a group of women, specifically Yola Helminez as well as Leaky Lee, which is the musician as you know of it, and Gina correll Aglietti who has formed this company together very purposefully, all women led. When we'd love to see it. And here is a little bit from them, it says. After spending time abroad, Yola Jimenez was drawn back to the slow pleasures of her native Wahaka, where she inherited her grandfather's farm in two thousand and seven and began debating her relationship to the land and the mescal it produces. Is not coincidence that this moment aligns with the drink's sudden rise in popularity. Yola was one of the movement's earliest pioneers. Along with two friends, she opened one of Mexico City's first mess calarias. She sold small batches of her farm's production to a handful of innovative chefs, laying the groundwork for their current global community of creatives, and they suggested using her name to celebrate its roots as the passion project of a woman and a local. So yes, today we are drinking Yola Mescal. Go ahead and be really transparent. I do not like mescal so as I'm drinking and maybe reviewing it. If you don't hear the passion in my voice, it is because I am not the biggest fan of messcal, not necessarily this distillery, because I'm excited about what they're doing and how they're doing it. But in general, when it comes to like mescals, anything smoky like this and Scotch, all I taste is burnt duct tape and it's really hard for me to get past that. So and did make a cocktail. We're going to talk about what I made in a minute.
Speaker 1: And I still don't.
Speaker 3: Love it, but I can still taste what is quality and what isn't you know what I mean? So I will say that, but yes, complete transparency with that.
Speaker 1: I'm not the biggest fan. But any you love mescal.
Speaker 4: I love mescal. It is one of my favorites. I love Scotch. I love like kind of the in the back of your throat smoky taste. I remember the first time I had mescal and I was like, where have you been my whole life?
Speaker 2: So that's good. We can balance each other out.
Speaker 1: We do.
Speaker 3: And that's the other part to this is just because I don't like it doesn't mean it shouldn't be featured or talked about. So that's just a personal taste for me in general, because I do not enjoy the smoky taste. For me, I like the burning of liquor alcohol. I like that sensation. I don't like the actual taste of it. Again, I don't know if I've been traumatized, and I don't know if I've made up some scenario in my head because I imagine, again this is very specific and trigger warning. If anybody's been in a car wreck, don't listen to this part. But like if there was a car wreck, the car gets set on fire, the leather seats which may have had duct tape on at one point in time.
Speaker 1: I don't know why.
Speaker 3: This is very specific to me, and it burns and then you walk to it that says freshly burned, that's what it tastes like.
Speaker 2: To me, Well, that's very funny.
Speaker 4: And you say that because there is a distillery in Atlanta that has a scotch that is called tire Fire.
Speaker 1: Yes they do. They have that scotch whiskey, and I also hate that one.
Speaker 4: But it's a very specific. It is like a burning smoky taste.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, yes, the smoky that is the best description. And I will and their site continues. I do want to say, like, outside of this what they say, it says it's clear from the start that a women led company from Wahaka should also be women operated. Our mester Mescallera, a role traditionally held by men. Is Guadalupe Batista, who is Javier's daughter, and I are mezcal is distilled and bottled by an all female team on our namesakes farm from the most intimate dinners to a massive music festival. We've produced and hosted dozens of events where women had the tables, chefs, artists, musicians, So you know, we love that and we celebrate that as well. So therefore, of course we have to talk about this and celebrate it as well. I actually did have to order it. I couldn't find any locally. I think there was one in like Alfaretta, Georgia, So if you're from Georgia, you know that's about forty minutes out of Atlanta, so it was a little farther away. So I did get it directly from the company. I think they use a third party system. It came so quickly, too, like so quickly. I was very surprised how quickly it came, because I think I ordered on Wednesday, Tuesday, I told you I was going to do it, and it came Friday, and I was like, wow, okay, then they're ready and the bottle is very cute. My partner is very excited because he also loves Moscow, and I can't stay this so that don't have it because typically I'm much like the statistics. I'm the purchaser in the house, so I don't get it if I don't like it. Kind of same thing with Mayah. I never bought it until I had moved in with my partner who loves me, and I'm like, this is disgusting. So I very rarely get it and I never think about it. But then I'm like, oh, yeah, I guess he does like it. But mescal is also on that list, so very impressive how quickly it came. He's excited. It is very beautiful bottle, very wonderfully done, and you can go on their site and see their whole process. They talk about the distillery, they talk about how they get it done, the agave process, the distilling process, and it's a whole. I mean, just like with any fine liquors, you know, it's a process and it is a craft.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, so.
Speaker 3: In According to one mescal review I believe it's called miscal review dot com, they say, Yolo Mescal is handcrafted using a family recipe, using agaves, harvested on a family farm that was purchased in nineteen seventy one. It is produced in San Juan del Rio. Agaves are roasted in an earthen oven for seventy five hours in the spring and summer and eighty six hours in the fall and winter. The cooked plants are crushed by tahona and then fermented in oak barrels with filtered spring water and captured rainwater. The first distillation takes about ten hours and the second is slower and takes about fifteen hours. The copper pot made at Mescal is distilled to proof and hand bottled on site.
Speaker 1: So very very thorough. Interesting.
Speaker 3: Back to the Yolow Mescal site, it says the tasting notes are opens with striking flavors of peppered citrus that give way to a soothing, smoky finish, and then the Mescal review says the flavors are bright and refreshing, yet complex with earthy mineral flavors. So, Annie, did you actually take a sip of it on its own? What is your flavor profile to this?
Speaker 4: I think that's really accurate because the first when I took a sip, at first, I was like, oh wow, you know, this is a very light. The smokiness isn't really there as strongly as I'm used to with mezcal, but then in the finish it came in. So I think these are these are great descriptions because it does open kind of like you can still taste that smokiness, but it's a bit lighter. But as the as the taste continues and builds, it comes in at the end.
Speaker 2: Am I doing well?
Speaker 1: You were doing such a great job.
Speaker 3: It's been a long time since we've done I will say, while you were doing that, I decided to take a taste on my own because I'm doing it.
Speaker 1: I was like, you know, I'll do it on Mike, just making faces at you.
Speaker 2: I don't mean I was like, oh wow, she thinks I'm a total more.
Speaker 3: I think you did a great job because I need I will depend on you because all I can focus on is this moment. But I will say it does have the beginning. It does have the beginning of a tequila where it has that shot very quickly, very strong, and then it I taste the duct tape at the end. No, just kidding, you know, hell, you know we're talking about when you rip open duct tape and you smelled it hits you, you'll think about it like when you like, oh there's a smell as you rip open duct tape, you're like wow. Anyway, but it does finish with that. But I will say, because it is sweet, it's not the worst. Like I've definitely had.
Speaker 1: Worse alcohols, a lot of worse alcohols.
Speaker 3: With with my flavor tasting on that and it's not so bad that I couldn't but I needed an immediate aftershot because it does stay on my tongue and I could see why people like it.
Speaker 1: This is just not my preference in like what I would have, but it.
Speaker 3: Does very It's sweeter than I anticipated as well as it sits on the tongue. It kind of is a sweetened taste almost as I guess the gave and like you, if you are familiar and use a gave, then you know that that levelsweetness. And it's not overwhelming because it doesn't taste like anything but sweetness to me. Like honey has a very specific sweet taste. This is kind of that level of that difference. So yeah, I can see why it's uh loved by so many. It smells like a sweet or tequila with some smokiness. To me, I guess that's a good way for me to describe it in my reference because I don't drink mescal in general as a thing. So and then I was trying to see if we could find any of their own respaces. Many of their companies have create their own signature cocktails, but I couldn't find it. And it may just been like they have their own separate thing, but that means that meant that I was like, hey, can you do your own cocktail? And he's like, of course, so, any what did you make?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: I don't think this will surprise anyone, but I made the most simple cocktail. I looked up like mescal cocktails and pretty much the only one I had all the ingredients for was called mescal water and oh yeah, yeah, it's just like mezcal, the sparkling water and then a citrus and I use lime, so it is sort of a not quite margarita, but in that realm. Yeah, and it's very lovely and very refreshing.
Speaker 1: I saw that.
Speaker 3: I was like, okay, So I went through different different recipes and I do have a pretty stock bar and I found one in Food and Wine that calls for tart cherry slurry. I guess where you make your own, and I'm not doing that or puree.
Speaker 1: I did not do that.
Speaker 3: I have a tart cherry juice because I have been drinking the Sleepy Time mocktails for those of you who are familiar from TikTok, I've been doing those and tart cherry juices. Now I'm my refrigerator, so I was like, I'll just use that.
Speaker 1: So I made that with a little bit of a gave.
Speaker 3: A lash of orange bitters cointroll because it does call for that, and I like it sparkly, so I added little bit of ginger el, but it was flat.
Speaker 1: Oh no, the tonic water, so that did help.
Speaker 3: So they're calling it a sour cherry margarita, very simple. I want to messcal margarita. I'm gonna call it something else because obviously I did it something odd completely on its own. I'm not really sure what I would call it, so and you'll have to think of help me think of a name. Yeah, but yeah, So I tried it, and because all I could taste was muscal, it's like, oh my gosh, So it tastes like smoky cherry juice to me, but it's actually getting better with some ice in it. It's delicious. Actually, I'm like, okay, I wouldn't drink. I wouldn't choose this drink, right. I did have someone, my partner, who does like messcal.
Speaker 2: He tried it.
Speaker 3: He really liked it, so he's like, oh, oh yeah, I like that. I was like, so, yay, I made a successful cocktail. And I don't know what I'm.
Speaker 1: Going to call it.
Speaker 3: We have time to workshop, we have to workship this cherry cherry smoky cherry smoky cherry bomb. I don't know about it. Cherry bomb. The bomb means that it needs something to it. But I guess if you have it sparkly as I try to intend to do, it would have made it be like a bomb.
Speaker 2: And you had like if you had a cherry, like a whole cherry in it.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: I mean true, there's true. We can work on this.
Speaker 3: We're gonna work on this. But yeah, so that's it. That's the Yola Mezcal, y O l A Mezcal. And again they do have their own site and they do sell it on their site. I'm sure there may be regulations according to whichever state you are in. But if you might want to check and see if your local liquor store or packaging stores as some are called them, or not that weird.
Speaker 2: Don't get me started on weird alcohols.
Speaker 1: The red dot the South Carolina and the red dot that always threw me off.
Speaker 3: Anyway, perhaps you can go and grab a bottle. Support Uh, you know women led distilleries. There's not enough women in the industry. They even talked about how the pandemic did hit them much like many other businesses. So go and support women led businesses like this. And yeah, if you have it, if you like it, send us your cocktail recipe because we've got plenty left over. I know, I guess it's quite a bit home with Annie.
Speaker 4: It was very very nice of you. We got to hang out for the New Year's New Year celebration and you gave me some mescal to go.
Speaker 2: It was a wonderful experience.
Speaker 3: I'm the mama who sends home food with people. But yes, or liquor in this but yeah, so yeah, if you have other women led companies that you think we need a feature, please let us know.
Speaker 1: We would love to do so. We're always going.
Speaker 3: To keep doing this it may be a little more sparse, but we do want to keep recognizing the hard working women and non binary peoples who are doing this hard our work and amazing work, so that we continue to recognize them and uplift their businesses. Yes.
Speaker 4: Yes, and we were loosely at one point planning on doing like a a roundup of Sminty recipes. So if you have any cocktail recipes or just recipes in general, great, we would love to hear them. I think that'd be a great episode. Thank you as always to you Samantha for finding this for gifting me with alcohol.
Speaker 2: Though you should get reimbursed, you should do it this time, I do it.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 2: Okay, good well listeners.
Speaker 4: If you would like the contact as you can, Our email is Stephanie and mom Stuff at iHeartMedia dot com. You can find us on Twitter at mom Stuff podcast, or on Instagram and TikTok at stuff.
Speaker 2: I never told you. We have a tea public store and we have a book you can get wherever you get your books. Thanks as always to our super producer Christina, our executive producer and conjurer Joey, Thank you and thanks to you for listening. Steffan Never Told You is production by heart Radio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, you can check out the heart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or where you listen to your favorite shows,