Speaker 1: Oh, hi, hello, and welcome to another episode of Let's Talk About Met's Baby, the show that examines how utterly garbage some men of the ancient world were. I'm your host, liv she who is bound to hear not all men at least once. After this episode airs, we'll see maybe I'll keep it tally well. As if that didn't set it up well enough, I am here with a conversation with Imogen Brisco, a PhD student stud Ovid's quote unquote love poetry, most of which is I mean, we we'll get into it, but a couple of years ago, maybe it was like only last year. I don't even remember. Anyway, I covered some of Ovid's ours amatoria on the show because it is absolutely batshit, fucking bananas. It is misogyny in a text. It is literally the original handbook to modern pickup artistry. It is wild. And so when I heard from Imagen pitching this has a topic for a conversation, I nearly lost my mind with excitement. We recorded it a while ago, as you will hear for reasons, and I was just so thrilled the area around Valentine's Day, because apparently I'm fun for Valentine's Day.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: It's exactly as good as I expected it to this conversation. Plus I got ranty, so it's long enough without me dragging out the introduction. Just know, well like big trigger warnings because for real, it's gross and entertaining, but gross. There's talk about how many can best convince women to have sex with them or worse, you know, force them, and it's it's so it's much more in that realm than the former. Yeah, so it is. It is very dark. It is pick up artistry from the ancient world. But I do promise we have fun with it, because it's the only way to speak about something like this without devolving into a pit of sadness that humanity has not come far at all in the intervening two thousand years. Like for real, it's a little it's a little too on the nose, but just beware conversations. When Avid invented pick up artistry, the r z amatoria with image in Brisco, I am I'm so excited to talk about this because I just the ours imatoria is is so utterly wild. So as soon as I saw you know, those those words next to your name in my little form. I was like, oh shit, no, I'm so keen. Yeah. So, I mean I don't even totally know where to begin, but maybe like what drew you to be studying this baffling and also so deeply entertaining work, Like what do you love about it? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, that's it's a really interesting question. I think I kind of started with the Amoores and then worked my way through to the ars Amatoria. I mean I did the Amores as like translation at school, so the slightly less racy parts of it, they kind of set you the nicer passages, and then yeah, I think it was. It wasn't until like my third of my undergrad that I really looked at the ars Amatoria properly. And I remember being set this question of as like a seminar prep of like can you think of any modern things that this reminds you of? Like you're going to read the whole ars Amatoria, what can you think of? And I remember doing like a short forum post about the Denist system from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and talking about his kind of pick up artist systems and how ovid is, you know, essentially doing the same thing, and I think that's kind of where it all came from, was this idea that like we can see such a continuation from the ancient all the way through to the modern. And that's really what I look at now in my research. So my thesis at the moment, I mean, I'm kind of coming to the end of my first year, starting my second year, so I'm sure it will have changed by the time this podcast comes out let alone, you know, in a couple of years, But at the moment, my focus is really on masculinity in of its amateur work, so the amrees os Amatoria and the remedia Morris as well, so like the Cures for Love and Yeah, this this idea of like the links with pickup artists in the modern day, I find really interesting and something that I think hasn't been touched on as much yet, which is what I'm hoping to do, is the way that Ovid has been I'd like to say co opted, but I don't think he has necessarily been co opted. I think he's been taken at his word by modern in cell groups as well. So there's a lot of relevance to the modern day, and I think that's what keeps me coming back to Ovid constantly, is this idea that he's always relevant somehow, no matter what's going on. There's just something about him that I, you know, you can keep relating to the modern day. But also that's just I can't figure him out as a person, like you said of like the Ovid of it all. He's completely baffling.
Speaker 1: He really is. And like so I joke about this a lot on the show, like uh Rome is not my favorite. I'm all about Greece all the time, except that I love Avid because, like one, most of what I've read is Metamorphoses, which is just a beautiful, you know, way of capturing primarily Greek myths. Hence why I'm able to love it. But what is so interesting to me about the Metamorphoses it is like in complete contrast to the rs which is that, like in the Metamorphoses, he seems to have a real sympathy for the plight of women who are assaulted by gods. That is what makes him quite unique amongst mythological sourcing is that like he cares, he says, it's assault. He has empathy for the plight of these women. And you know other people as well who are who are facing down the gods in this way? And then he goes and writes the rs Inmatorium, which is like nasty in the most entertaining way. Yeah, and yeah, Like when I was reading it, I also just kept being like, wait, like what am I reading? Like It's like when you know Ofvid, you read it and you just think, okay, like, are is this tongue in cheek? Are you playing with us? Is this serious? I think that it It has such elements of both that I can only imagine that it would just be yeah, like a wealth of information for you to peace through in your study, because like it's really baffling, Like what do you think about how like what his intentions might have been with it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think, I mean in terms of like my own writing, I try not to go down I'm sure you've heard this before. I think even with like you know, other people from exter doing of it who've come on and you know, we talk about author real intention is difficult, and I try not to go too far into it in my actual work because you know that way lies madness essentially. But I like to think about of it as a person and about whether he's genuine or not. I think it's a fun for exercise whether or not we can actually put it into our scholarship.
Speaker 1: And yeah, we'll never have the answer, but like the theorizing can be there.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, I mean, yeah, I know you shouldn't meet your heroes, but I would love to meet him because I almost want it confirmed that he's an arsehole. I know he is, but how much is he poking fun at the fact that he is or does he just not know? And I think that he's clever and he's self conscious. I think those are the two things that you can say from what we've got. Definitely is that I don't think he ever does anything kind of yeah accidentally. I think that throughout his work he's putting forward you know, arguably different narratorial personas, but that he's always making conscious decisions. I mean, something that I find really interesting in the ars Amaturia is that he talks about, you know, this work being based on experience in the opening lines of book one, and then you see little episode of like almost he goes into this semi ortobiographical mode that points in the urs where it links up with episodes from the Amoors, and that's something that I've always found really fascinating. He has this, I mean, it's getting into the kind of dark underbelly of it straight away, but he talks about one time I pulled my girl's hair, and essentially he tells about a physical assault on his girlfriend, which he also covers and I cannot remember which poem it is in the Amoros, but he talks about upsetting his girlfriend by kind of lashing out at her and pulling her hair. But in the hours he basically says, like the moral of the story is, if you're going to attack your girlfriend, try not to rip her clothes because this ended up costing me loads of money, which is just absolutely insane. And yeah, just on like the Metamorphoses. I think it's so interesting talking to people who come out of it from the met almost because I've done it the other way around, so I mean talking to other people who study of it as well, and people are just interested in him. And if you read the met and then you come straight into the Urs, you're going to be absolutely baffled. It made more of like a natural progression the way that I read his works and kind of did bits and pops of the Metamorphoses. But never really read it cover to cover until much later, and now, you know, as part of my teaching, I'm covering the metamorphosies with first and second year undergrads and hearing their thoughts on it, and like you said, talking about this sympathy that Ovid shows to women, you know, I'm really quite convinced by this idea that like some part of him is really interested in like the lived female experience. And then I kind of struggle to reconcile what I'm talking to them about, and then I come back into my own work and I'm like this, there's a dick.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I mean that. Yeah, it's just it's it's fascinating, and I love that. It reminds me of what I love about mythology so much, which is that like it's all a contradiction. Every bit of it is a contra addiction. Mostly in that case, it's because we've got like a thousand years worth of sources and regionality and everything in there. So it's like, well that makes sense, like that that is rational, like why that everything is a contradiction. And when it comes to Greek myth but often it's like, no, it's just one guy, Like how can just one guy be so contradictory and that is sort of like a different level of interesting, Like, yeah, what is he doing that? He wrote the met and then he wrote the Ours, and I wonder if it's like this notion of mythological women being better or not better, like in his mind that they are they are more deserving of sympathy because he hasn't encountered them, and like because yeah, I mean there's a major in cel narrative running through the RS that makes you think that like, Okay, maybe he's got a thing against real women, but he likes fictional like it maybe like a good equivalent would be like women in video games versus real life women, you know, like this idea of a false woman, like the guys who got angry when they made Larercraft have smaller boobs, you know, Like it makes me think of that, Like, Okay, he can love the mythological but he can't stand real Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and almost, I mean, you know in the Met's we have that with pig Melion. Yeah, aligns himself with pig Melion quite quite well, which is I mean, he does it with a lot of the artist figures in the Metamorphoses, anyway. But yeah, pig Melion, he seems to have quite a lot of sympathy for his you know, disgust at women and then his crafting of a perfect woman. And I guess that'd be a really yeah, like a kind of almost depressing view of like why Ovid has this fascination with women is he's able to write them in a particular way that suits him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, like that idea. And Pygmalion is like so deeply one of the grossest stories in the Men and yeah, yeah that feels right. Yeah, it's so interesting. So, I mean, I'm just trying to think back on having read the RS because like it's so I mean, I guess just to remind my listeners that I will have also done that in the introduction, but like it really is I mean, it's called the Art of Love, but it really is like a sort of step by step instructions on how to get a woman, only they're all horrifying.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, so it's kind of semi didactic written in ellergic couplets. So in terms of I mean ancient genre, it's disputed what the ars amatoria is. It is, yeah, written as if it's elegy which leads some kind of meta purists to believe that it must be leergy. But it's got a lot of didactic elements, and it clearly takes inspiration from other didactic poems, like you know, Virgil's didactic works and stuff like that. Yeah, it's kind of It definitely is didactic in tone, whether or not. You know, we look at the meter and Ovid paints himself as the Prikeptora Morris, the teacher of love, and he does that straight away, like in line sixteen of the first book. I'm pretty sure he's like, I am the Prikectora Morris, and he it's probably the clearest persona he ever gives himself, and he maintains that all the way through. He also ends book two and book three with the words like Naso magistair errat, I can't remember exactly the Latin, and Naso is like his middle name. So it's Ovid was my teacher. Ovid was my instructor, and that's what he wants his kind of students to go out into the world and say. And obviously we've got this this cheekiness of Ovid running through it. You know, how much of this is him actually wanting people to be walking adverts for his seductions. We don't know. Yeah, it's it's three books, and book one and two are directed at men, and book three is aimed at women, which is, you know, part of what makes this as a group of three so interesting is that he kind of dedicates Book one is how to find a woman, you know, to aim your affections at, which he covers pretty quickly, and then how to get that woman, and then book two is about how to keep the woman, and he kind of delineates quite quite clearly the points where he's changing tac with the with the male centered books. And then book three it's, yeah, it's kind of all in. It feels a bit more rushed. I guess it's it's the same pretty much the same length as the other two. And yeah, his advice to women is really interesting. A lot of it aligns pretty clearly with the first two books. You get the equivalents, but there is this pretty convey and saying argument that book three isn't really directed at women. It's you know, it's it's for entertainment purposes, and that obviously his male audience are going to be reading it too. We get this kind of idea, especially in certain scholarship, of the men are kind of kind of just off stage right essentially, and of it's making little kind of winks and nudges towards them throughout book three. And even if you're not convinced by that, and you take him at his word that he is talking to women in book three, his advice is a lot more focused on looks. You know, how to how to not be disgusting seems to be a large thing. You know, he uses words like disgusting quite a lot. I mean, i'd be interested in, you know, the actual split between the books. And then yeah, at the end of book three has this kind of catalog of sexual positions that women should consider based off of how they look. So it's like it's like, if you've got stretch marks, you're better viewed from behind, like things like that. It's really quite rude in terms of you know, explicit for Ofvid he's not normally that explicit, but also quite nasty talking about you know, so petite women should ride horse, women with longer legs should have them over their shoulders. It's it's really quite full on, and he's kind of aiming this at women. As if he's saying, like, I'm interested in your pleasure, but what she's saying is here's how to look best for your male sexual partner. Yes, but we've still got a hugely, a huge kind of interest in appeasing his male audience throughout the third book, so I'm not hugely convinced that it's actually aimed at women. And even if it is, the advice lines up pretty well with keeping the men happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, yeah, it's really for women. Yeah, yeah, I just yeah, I mean my biggest memory of reading that for the first time was just purely like, what on earth am I reading?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What is happening here? In the most enjoyable way, because I think that's the only way that's like, well, it's you know, the way to stay sane is to read something like that and laugh at it because it's utterly absurd. But that's how I feel about you know, modern pickup artists and stuff too, Like, obviously they are also inherently dangerous, but you still, like, I think, have to laugh at a lot of the nonsense that that men are being led to believe, is like how to get a woman. I'm trying to think of the name of that guy. I think he's British American and he started that like enormous YouTube channel of like how to get women and also get rich. I listened to a podcast episode about him. Do you know who I'm talking about? Me like Eastern Europe to Escape, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, yeah yeah yeah. So he's he's a big one at the moment, especially with the kind of insul cells as well, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like it just screams all of his work from what I know, which is just listening to like Behind the Bastards podcast, I'd like never heard of him before, and I was like, oh my god, I can't stop listening to this. It's horrifying. Yeah, but yeah, yeah, this idea that, like, I mean, it's just the the idea that even two thousand years ago, there were people being like, so you just have to nag a woman, like tell her she's ugly. That's that's gonna turn her to your you know, advances, Like I just yeah, I mean, it's it's incredible and the amount that does line up with the modern ideas. So I didn't originally intend to like jump straight into that, but you you look at that too, right, Like this the stuff that lines up, Like, I would love to hear more about that, because it's wild that two thousand years past and it's still just as absurd.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I think the main thing to say about that is we kind of I don't know. I feel like, especially people who study of it, there's this inclination to try and like almost offend the people that you're studying, and I think I try really hard not to do that because I think he probably was, you know, like I say, just a bit of a bad person, even if he was funny and a bit emotional and interesting. I think he's still you know, a product of his time. Whether at the time he would be considered a bad person or not. We have to remember that for all his kind of posturing and his posing as you know, a victim of his girlfriend and a slave to love, he was a you know, a Roman man of the equestrian class who was educated in rhetoric and you know, turned down the chance to be a lawyer essentially, So he's pretty he's doing pretty well for himself. Also able to able to write poetry as a career, which isn't something that's usually open to other people. As much as he likes the whole you know, tortured poor artists.
Speaker 1: He's got some privilege.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, definitely. Yeah. I think we really just like to say that certain people have they haven't read him properly, and that's why they've you know, adopted him or co opted him, or however you want to praise him. I think what we're defining is reading properly is something that I'm quite interested in, because I'm like, the words are there, yeah, whether you know, we can't say that they're not for everyone. I would encourage people who want to read of it to take him with a picture of salt and to try and get a bit more context and read the whole hours rather than just the passages where you know, he endorses rape and says all these other horrible things. But certain people have almost cherry picked quotes from of its work that they use to push their own, particularly masculinist agendas. So yeah, the pick up artist link is relatively well established, and I think Donna Zuckerberg is the main scholar who's really worked on this. Muck's like a Bud's sister kind of unfortunately, but yeah, she she did a really good book called Not All Dead White Men.
Speaker 1: I have that. I've never read it.
Speaker 2: I need to, Yeah, I have to be honest, haven't read the whole text, but the chapter on of it is really instructive for looking at pickup artists. That's from twenty eighteen, it's only five years ago. Yeah, and she talks about a particular pickup artist. I know his surname is Strauss. I believe he's called Neil Strauss, and he's the guy who wrote the game, like the big pickup artist that made it into the mainstream. And he literally calls of it like the father of modern pickup artistry?
Speaker 1: Does he really?
Speaker 2: So there are people endorsing of it as someone to look back to and saying like, look are what we're doing is right because it has a precedent of you know, two thousand years people have been doing this, and they do really use him to push that. Yeah, and yeah, I think I think with the pick up artist that there's a couple of people. But yeah, Donna Zuckerberg's chapter on it is brilliant and very informative. And then with the in cells, I feel like it's something that hasn't been as touched on. And the thing that kind of clued me onto the direct link rather than me just reading through and thinking this seems a bit in Celly.
Speaker 1: Screams in Zell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a blog post on the Pharos doing justice to the Classics website. It only came out this year, and it was about of it, well, the presence of ancient authors on the in cell wiki. So from what I can gather that in cells had their own Wikipedia page, but we're getting frustrated with Wikipedia's like rules for what you could post and the moderation, and so they created their own Wikipedia, which is terrifying. Like I've been on it, and I'm quite scared that the university is going to take away my computer access at some point because my history is just not looking great at the moment. Actually, just like clicking through the in cell which he very happily, well obviously not happily. It's just awful. But yeah, they you and it functions in the same way as Wikipedia, where like you hover over a hyperlink and it brings up the start of the article about that personal thing, but it will be an entry that they've written. So they have a list of what they call proto cells, so people who weren't who were around before in cells were like a thing, you know, a recognized group, and they claim they claim people like Charles Bakowski as a proto cell, they claim Jesus Christ as a proto cell. Like it's just insane. They just have this list of people that they've decided were in cells. But if you then click on the hyperlink, it takes you to a page that they have written about.
Speaker 1: That person, right about how how exactly that person?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's where like the OVID things come come in. They use of it on their in cell wiki page. Yeah, they have a page called Timeless Quotes about Women and they have about five quotes from OVID on there and no referencing, no links to the translation that they've used, not even which book it's from. One of them just says the Art of Love. But yeah, it's it's stuff about women being gold diggers, women enjoying forceful sex, like they've really picked what they want, yea. And that that was where I got that like the real interest in it from, because I realized that not only are is there like this sense of in Sellish line of thought throughout of its work, well at least in places, but they are using his work to further their.
Speaker 1: Ideology see that I wouldn't have get I guess I should have, but the idea that they're actually directly using him in that way just feels I think it's just because I have such a poor opinion of them obviously, where I'm like, you don't read somebody like of it, you're ridiculous, not at least because I just have to say, like, the more we like, I don't. I don't think about in cels often, thankfully, but even just like talking about them this much, it just makes me want to Like, I mean, I know that, like, obviously you can't expect them to make sense, but I like, if you are building your entire personality around this concept and building an entire Wikipedia page or Wikipedia like concept around this, like, can't you also recognize that the term involuntary then no longer applies, Like this is clearly very fucking voluntary, Like you just call yourself an involuntary celibate when you've dedicated your life to being this guy. Yeah, yeah, it's now voluntary. Yeah anyway, it's just like it's truly truly wild. Yeah uh but yeah, oh my god, the idea of like, because I mean, the thing about even like you know, like you're saying, like he's you know, it seems likely maybe he was a bit of an asshole amongst being also very talented. That's fine, you know, people can be talented and also misogynoust assholes. But like reading the reading the RS too, like there is so much that is seemingly intentionally comedic as well, Like do you think that that was also the point, Like a lot of these things seem to be like so ridiculous as to be intentionally comedic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think I think he's he can be quite like yeah, just just overblown in the way that he talks, and he's very conscious about as well, kind of picking his audience. I think he's aware of his context and that, especially in the book Towards Women, he kind of says like, you know, only certain women should read my texts, and then kind of midway through or just past the middle point of book three, he starts saying like, I wasn't going to talk about how to evade your husband, because you know, it's not right to encourage adultery, But anyway, here's a list of things that you can do. So obviously there's there's deliberate humor in here, because he knows what he's doing, and he knows that it's silly and subversive, and you know, I think that that's something that makes it kind of fun and enjoyable to read. And also it's what makes these episodes that are quite troubling all the more shocking is that it's kind of within this what seems quite a lighthearted text, you know, this idea of like the art of love or I mean, there's there's debate about how to translate ours amatoria as well, because ours is more like skill interesting, so it's it's more to do with it is it is pretty much a manual. It's like the skill of the lover as well. Amatoria is more it's the person the a martyr. So yes, it's like the skill of the lover, and obviously Ovid is the lover supreme. And I'm really fond of this idea that although he delineates his persona in the Ours as the procepto amoris, which we don't really he is never explicit in the Amors. I like this idea that it is the same we're meant to read it as the same guy, but just a bit more grown up, because it was I think well, I'm not you know, confident on the dating in terms of, you know, how we do the dating, and it's not something that really comes up in my research that much. But I know that there's at least kind of ten or fifteen years between the Amoras and the ours. So we do get this idea that the Amoras is the kind of almost like just like the horny nonsense of like a twenty year old guy. Yeah, and then when he's a bit more you know, a bit older and a bit more mature, he's kind of like, right, I've learned my lessons and I'm ready to share that with everyone else. I quite like this idea and for continuation between the two, because we do we always put them together into one volume of translation pretty much, you know. But one I've got is like it's just called the Erotic Poems, and it includes all of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and even the Amoros.
Speaker 2: Some of them are very off the topic of love.
Speaker 1: I haven't got them.
Speaker 2: There were the read there weren't the reading. I mean Book two in particular is the main one I've studied, and in that you have a couple of like diptychs and pairs of poems where there's one where he's saying to his mistress, you know, I swear on my life and on all the gods that I haven't cheated on you with your hairdresser who would have been a slave woman. And then the next poem is him being directed to the slave woman being like, how could you give it away? You're idiot, like really laying into her, and you know it's just utter silliness. But then once you actually read it, you know, again and again. He then goes into quite he like explicitly threatens her at the end, and there's this underlying awareness of his higher status. As much as he kind of pretends that he's at the mercy of these two women, he's actually, you know, by the end of those two poems, he's got them both kind of under his thumb. In the middle of yeah, in the middle of book two of the Amora's we have another diptych where his mistress Corinna has an abortion and he gets really angry at her because of how ill it makes her. And then we get the sense in the second poem that she's feeling a bit better now and he's ready to go on a moral tirade at her about how it's unnatural. She's deprived the world of the potential for more Ofvid is actually a large part. So yeah, we call them love poems, and I mean straightforward, but yeah, it's anything to do with relationship poems basically. Yeah, that is just like, you know, typical love poetry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we need to remove the word love.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that that's that's horrifying. Don't make me hate you completely, of my God, No, it's that's that's fascinating and dark. Having really primarily read the MET, I just think it's so interesting to see because I really I do love the MET and so I really have notoriously talked about loving Avid, And I think even probably when I read the RS, I was just like, I don't know, I kind of have to trust and hope that he's being tongue in cheek and being satirical. But hearing about theomoras, I feel like, maybe maybe it's pretty legit. See it's like kind of how he thinks.
Speaker 2: I mean obviously, like and it is worth you know, you note that I'm picking out the oh yeah, fun or inflammatory ones. He does have some nice stuff in there as well.
Speaker 1: For sure, but yeah, it's still about.
Speaker 2: The horror ball stuff as well. Yeah, yeah, and does it? Does it? You know the fact that large parts of it are more straightforward and nice love poetry. Does that actually kind of forgive of the bits where he's talking about beating his girlfriend or cheating on her with her slave girl and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the thing. It does not, So it's really okay to cherry pick the bad stuff for a conversation like this, but also because like, yeah, I mean, I think I think there's a very strong mindset from certain groups of people that might suggest that, like, oh, you can't judge somebody by only like one section of their work or whatever. But it's like, and that's fine too, but you also can't pretend that they didn't say that.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he still said all of this, So here we are.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And you know, it's part of what makes him kind of such an interesting guy to look at, such a you know, an interesting writer and an interesting historical figure. Is trying to work out. Like you said, I do believe that the Ours reads largely as kind of tongue in cheek, and that's the way that, like, like you said, I'd like to read it. Yeah, I kind of I always want these more hopeful readings of these things. And that's why I have really enjoyed turning back to the met this term whilst teaching it, is because I'm able to see of it in a nicer light than what I normally do, and remember that, like, not only is he one of the most talented, you know, writers in the Latin language, he also has some inexplicable understanding of lived like female experience, lived experience of victims, and of people kind of in the Metamorphoses, the figures whose gender is kind of confused by the narrative or who kind of either change their gender or have it changed for them. It's you know, he's got some really interesting insight into these things. I'd love to know what was going on there. Equally, there's an argument that he's just a bit of a deviant and just wants to talk about anything to do with sex, and that's kind of what we get through his love poetry, I guess, yea. And yeah, that's something that I was thinking about, is do we call it love poetry, because I mean the ars amatoria, I would argue, is more sex poetry. It's about how to attain kind of casual affairs for the most part. I mean, he talks about keeping a lover in book two, but largely it's based off of, you know, maintaining access to the girl, keeping her interested, you know, leading her on a bit with false promises, promising her gift but never actually delivering them, because once you've given her the gift, she can just run off with it. So you have to keep stringing her along equally, you know, let her know that she's got potential rivals, that you're wanted around town, but not don't ever let her catch you in the act. You know. He kind of prescribes this very walking of a very fine line, which I just don't believe is the way that you would treat someone that you were like actually courting. I guess, yeah, yeah, or you'd like to think again.
Speaker 1: No, and I think that that's yeah again. What's what, like screams modern pickup artist. You know, is that like it's not about finding affection and like a relationship, it is about like I don't want to say tricking, but it is, you know, ultimately a lot of it is like tricking a woman's but it's also just that like it's about control, right, Like it is about it's about a man having control over not only a woman, but like the situation entirely. Like yeah, I mean it's misogynistic and it's like core right, it's about subjugating women, but like specifically for sex.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Yeah, there's there's a really interesting kind of string of argument in scholarship that that they oars amaturia isn't so much about finding a girlfriend. It's about being able to have sex with prostitutes without paying.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which again, you know, some of these arguments are more illustrative of the wide range of things we've got. I'm not sure how convinced I am by it, but yeah, does kind of make sense. He has he has a lot of focus on money. He talks a lot about gifts and exchange of kind of sex for goods, sex for money. Don't ever meet up with your girlfriend on her birthday because you'll end up having to buy her a present like stuff like that. He's really fixated on this idea of kind of exchange, I guess, yeah, which is just yeah, absolutely fascinating.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's yeah, oh my god, it really Yeah. It's screams not even just modern pick up artists, but like a very large subset of modern dating, like just dating, and like, I think you know that rightfully says how dark it can be to date in the twenty first century. But yeah, it really just kind of generally screams sort of a certain type of man, and like the way they might just talk to their friends, just that that really specific thing of not seeing a girl on.
Speaker 2: Her birthday, like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, bending over backwards to like not do one tiny nice thing, Like it's what a mentality it's failed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he lists he lists a few a few days when, yeah, where you shouldn't see her, and it's various feasts and festivals as well where you would be expected to spend money. And then he suggests, in particular, taking her on a walk through town or the market on like the Sabbath where a lot of the shops will be closed and things like that. He's really Piggy's I think you know, whether you buy into the idea that this is actually about how to exploit prostitutes, which is a much more serious reading, or whether you think it is more just about you know, women in general. I think that the crux of it is it's about how to get as much by giving as little, and that is the kind of overarching theme throughout the arts Amatoria, which, interestingly I'm a struggle to find as such a strain in book three aimed at the women, I guess interestingly but unsurprisingly his yeah, his advice to women seems to be a lot more kind of surface level, whereas for the men there's a lot more i don't know, deception involved, but then also a lot of talking about women as deceptive.
Speaker 1: Right, so it's there, it's their fault, yeah, yeah, yeah, of course, obviously, obviously it's women's fault. Yeah. I mean it just makes me think of like even just the number of TV shows that I mean, I think, probably not so much recently, but I'm old enough to remember the nineties and the two thousands, and like the early two thousands were a very dark time, and you know, like the number of TV shows that would just make a joke about like oh, well, like it's too close to Valentine's Day to get a girlfriend, Like you've got to wait until after. And it's like, if you really break that down, it's like why, like okay, you're you just if you like a girl, you really want that badly? Not to like buy her something like I just it's utterly wild to me, and yeah, just screams this idea that like, we've just really been dealing with this for so long and it's so absurd. It's just blown away. The world continues to exist in the way that it does. How are we still here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it's it's just one of those texts that I mean, I almost hope that that one day we won't relate to it as much, but that there's something something about the way that Ovid writes as well, whether he's being you know, in text where he's more serious and where he is and you know, this one, I do kind of see the argument that this is a bit of a parody of more serious didactic poetry and that he is kind of just poking fun. He's like, well, if I'm going to write a didactic poem, I'm going to do it in allergic meter because that's what I'm comfortable in. And I'm going to you know, talk about love because that's what I'm comfortable talking about. And either way, I think Ovid as a as a writer throughout all of his work just there's something very human about him, which is what I think, and I know it's probably just a bit like wishy boshy, but like that's what I think gives him such an during influence. I guess why we keep coming back to him, and people are interested in all the different types of his poetry and interested in him for completely different reasons. And yeah, mine just happened to be I guess, kind of a dark fascination with whatever's going on in his strange little brain.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, I'm equally interested. It's like it's one of those things that I would much more, I would enjoy much more fully if it, you know, wasn't so relevant. Like I would love to look back and be like, oh wow, like man, people used to think that way. That's crazy. I'd love to readac about it. And instead I'm like, oh my god, people still think this way. Holy shit, And like doesn't change how interesting it is from the OVID perspective, but it makes it a lot more frustrating.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I would love to know more about part three, like three when he's like directing stuff to women, because I mean, what little you've said is wild, So yeah, i'd love I'd love to hear more about what wow things he tells us to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so, I mean he he opens it by kind of saying, I've armed say it talks about the Amazons. I think it's I've armed Greeks against Amazons, and now it's time to arm you against Penthsa. I think I've said that right. So again, love is love is warfare, love is a game. You know this is These are really common things. I mean, lover's war is common all the way throughout. I'm just finding it. Yeah, I've armed Greeks against Amazons. Now I must fashion weapons for panh Saya and her girls. A well matched fight is best with victually granted through the favor of kind Venus and Venus Venus's earth girdling son. So he's basically saying it's it's not fair for women to go into this battle unarmed. So you know he's going to do them the favor of giving them some.
Speaker 1: Tips nice of hair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's just loved. He kind of immediately talks about like he then suggests that there's this kind of aside or interruption of like, why would you do that either from I think it's from the other men. Yeah, yeah, I hear you are, So why basically why betray a fold of sheep to the she wolf. I hear you ask, like, you know a lot of hunter and hunted prey and analogies. Yeah, yeah, And he's basically saying like, don't don't base your judgment of all women on certain women. And he gives the example of people like Clytemnestra and then basically does like maybe a few lines, like less than a dozen lines on good women like Penelope. Then goes, you know, men are more often deceivers than women, but here's a list of women who put deceivers, and then just goes off on this kind of tangent. So talks about Madeia and people like that. So yeah, it's it's pretty clear right from the start that I mean, to me, I believe that the men are either the intended audience secretly or that they're meant to be there listening as well. You know. Yeah, And so he does he talk about he largely keeps on with these kind of lovers war and lovers a game metaphors, and that he is making it fair by doing this, thanks very much of it. The main thing that I've drawn out through just like skimming back through the books in preparation for this is that the amount of focus on how to present yourself is astounding in book three compared to book one. In book two, I mean, I think it's in book one where he has maybe like ten or twenty lines about like, don't over preen yourself. This directed at the men. He talks about, don't pum miss your legs until they're smooth, don't curl your hair. Do you think that theseus would have done that? You know, just just all of this stuff about like no one wants a man who's overpruned. But equally, make sure that you don't have nose hairs and bad breath, and like these are literally the things that he lists with kind of and he talks about a male stench, which I just think is hilarious. And that's kind of the extent of the advice towards men about how to present themselves. He has a lot bit about, yeah, make sure your shoes fit in your toga fits, you know, so you don't look like a slop. Equally, don't overdo it. So yeah, do the basics, be hygienic, wear clothes that fit you. And that's about it for blokes. And then yeah, we look at the women and it's just it's just constant. Yeah. Yeah. He has a lot of kind of nature metaphors as well, about women are plants or not women are plant. But you know, he says about taking care of yourself and says that you get the best vintage from wellcare for grapes and things like that, just like take care of yourself and you're going to produce the best, you know, appearance or the best sex. What is he children, Yeah, yeah, exactly. So, yeah, he talks a lot about specifies hair, makeup, clothes, and also not to let a man seeing you see you kind of in the process of getting ready, you can give away the deception exactly. Yeah. Yeah, And he says like one time he made the mistake of going into a girl's bedroom while she was putting her wig on and she had it on backwards because she'd rushed and you know, couldn't ever look at her the same way. Things like that. He talks about certain things that girls should train themselves to do well, so singing and dancing are all very charming. Talks about things to avoid, so yeah, it's his kind of overarching advice to women is know yourself. But that's kind of meant in the sense of know your faults and avoids showing them, you know, things like if you've got big teeth, don't laugh really wide and just like really nasty stuff like that. I'm trying to find the other bits horrifying.
Speaker 1: It's like, yeah, yeah, I also love him using the idea the example of theseus as like the correct manly man like of all the heroes, Like I think you did something really specific by selecting that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And so towards the end of book three he goes on he has like a short kind of mythological I guess aside where he tells the story of procress and carefully, and then he's finished that, he then goes into the list of the sex positions. So it's all a bit like it's sometimes in the hours, it feels like he's just either trying to meet like a word count or really wanting to show what he can do. You know, here's here's a story as I would tell it in the Metamorphoses, but this time it's in ellergietics, and he'll just do a hundred lines of like a mythological disgust. Basically, I mean, there's some quite convincing arguments that they're not actually like meant to be read as bits outside of the text, that they are actually informative to the text. They are important, but kind of for the purposes of something like this, it's easy to just skip over them. And then yeah, after he's done kind of telling their story, which the moral is to him is to try not to fall too quickly into distrust of your male partners.
Speaker 4: Oh, Chris, yes, yeah, yeah, of course, yeah, And then it just yeah, goes straight into how many lines do we have here, like thirty lines of if you look this way, you're better viewed this way during sex, if you if you look this way, you're better doing this. Give some mythological examples, which is always helpful. You know, he imagines andromache and people like that in bed.
Speaker 2: And then ends it by saying, after the pleasures of sex, like, don't kind of rush too quickly to ask for a gift because it will just scare him off. And then equally, don't open the bedroom bedroom windows. Much of your body is better left unseen. And that's how he kind of ends it. So, I mean, there's this constant I think we don't get like really any advice to neg women in book one and book two, it's all about how to take women's faults and turn them into something really, Like it says something about like if she's skeletal, call her spelt. If she's a bit chubby, call her like I don't know, it said like bouncing or something like that, like use use nice synonyms essentially. But then in book three, which you know, what would a female reader make of this? And what do we as modern female readers make of this that, like he's kind of just saying, like, your body's not great, here's how to do the best with it. Do we think that book three is actually designed to further his kind of erotic project of book one and book two, Which is the reading that I kind of subscribe to, is that whilst I don't believe it's exclusively aimed at women, I believe that he wanted women to read this, and that actually he's making them more susceptible to the kind of tricks of the trade. Yeah, he's advising to men in books one and book two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it almost sounds like he's also you know, he wants them both to read it, but he also wants the women who are reading it because they should to know that the men are reading it too, Like it's clear that it's not like it's it's not just for you, because you know, the men are obviously more important in this scenario, So like you should know that I'm not telling you any secrets that they are not allowed to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because I mean within the first few lines of this book, he's got that you know, why are you why are you giving them secrets? And you ask, like, who's this you? It's clearly not the women. They who He directs the first couple of books and like, just go back to the start of book one. He opens it in quite an interesting way. It's like, if there's anyone in Rome who is not like adept in love, let him read my book, and like results are guaranteed. And I just find that really interesting. This this kind of I guess, the difference in the way that he directs it towards the men and the women. But two, we don't get it as much because it's seen as quite a continuation of book one. He's kind of like, right now onto the next topic, just picks up where he left off. But yeah, book three he has to refigure it and it's very clear that the men are there. He's not hiding the fact that his male audience is still present.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, it's important that the women know the men know, because I mean it's just yeah, it adds to the level of gross where it's like, Okay, well I'm telling you to do this stuff, but the men know that I've told you this, which means you are at fault if you know, you look a certain way and you don't position yourself in that ascribed way because they know that I've told you. Yeah, so it's like, yeah, like this extra level of horror of just like no, no, like you best listen to me because the men are watching, like yeah, yeah, yes.
Speaker 2: Do as you're told. Essentially, Yeah, it's really interesting because yeah, he frames it with the you know, with all these kind of war metaphors at the start, is like almost empowering the women. He's giving them equal arms as the men. But I mean, arguably they've got like half as many lines dedicated to them, nowhere near as in depth. It's it's a lot more about how to kind of present yourself in kind of a sexy way, in an attractive, desirable way, and how not to be gross. Whereas for the men, it's it's a lot more specific. And there are a couple of points in the first couple of books that I wanted to draw on because we're kind of I feel like we've like talked about the grossness of the first couple of books, but yeah, if it's okay, I wanted to get into just a couple of those episodes just to really like make it clear what we're talking about when we're saying that it's it's gross and it's horrible. So, I mean, the first one that I picked up on is very quick in book one, and it's probably the most like commonly known bit of grossness in the ars Amatoria is he starts to talk about where to find a girl, so how to find a girl that suits your fancy and he's like, you won't know, be remiss in Rome, there's plenty of girls. Talks about all the different ages and types of girls that you can find in Rome, and then says, here are some places you can meet girls, and his main place that he prescribes as the theater, and his example of why the theater is a great place to pick up women is the rape of the sabine women. Where Romulus put on this like fake well like a spectacle two. I think that the kind of I don't know that the surface level idea of it was to get the Sabines down to Rome and create some kind of peace with them, but obviously there was this secret plan that they would kill the Sabine men and rape all the Sabine women and take them as wives, because you know, they'd set up this wonderful city of Rome, but they didn't have any women, or not enough women, so they decided to just steal some from the neighboring tribes. And I think that the backstory is that they'd had like they tried to create some kind of marriage treaty and the Sabines had turned it down, and so they were like, oh, okay, as recompense, come along to these games that we're going to put on. And yeah, Ovid just then he says, the theater is a great place to meet women. And you know, Romulus set this precedent when he gave the secret signal and then describes he just goes into this kind of yeah, this is not even the side. He goes through quite an almost metamorphosis esque description of the rape of the sabine women. Wow. Talks about, you know, all of the different ways that they showed their panic and their fear, and he's very aware of their fear, the same way that he is in the metalphes. Yeah. But and he then talks about how many of them managed to make panic like sexy. He thinks he discusses having like some of them went pale, some of them blush, some of them ripped their hair and it went all frenzied and that was really attractive. So he's kind of touching on the real severity in the horror of the rape of the same by women. Yeah, but then being like, and that's why the theater is a great place to meet women, and then he just moves on. It's insane. Yeah, I just I.
Speaker 1: Mean, one, I know if this is a podcast, but I need everyone to know that my face looks I just like. For one, it never ceases to amaze me that Rome wrote that into their founding mythology, and I think, yeah, as a as a lover of Greece, I think it says a lot like for all theseus was a piece of shit. They did not write a story like that into their mythology. But aside from that, like that is wild. That is especially compared to the men. Yeah, we feel for the women in that, yeah, not so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. And it's just it's just a baffling kind of like editorial choice to be like, you know, because he doesn't give many examples for the others. He doesn't give historical precedents for the other places that he says are great for meeting women, you know, the promenades, and he specifies like a few different like landmarks that are great places to pick up women, and they're all landmarks dedicated to Augustus's family, so people read that as a bit of a dig, you know, or meet them at like like it's like Octavia's colonnade or whatever, and that's kind of it. And then he does the theater goes off on this like fifty paid fifty you know, excursus about the rape of the safe by'e women in extreme detail, and then he goes, don't forget the races. The races are also a great place to pick up women. But with the races, he talks about how the seating is really confined and this is what they can't escape.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, oh, you know it facilitates physical contact, and you think, like, okay, if you left it there, arguably a bit creepy, but maybe okay. And he's like, because she can't get away, and it's just yeah, but you're not helping yourself of it.
Speaker 1: No, okay, this I meant to ask this earlier, but you've really set it up now with the Augustus reference. Where does this fall in his exile? Because he was exiled by Augustus, right, and so there's I know, there's a lot of debate about like whether even the Met is written kind of as a dig to Augustus and like kind of how he felt about him. So do you know where where these poems like fall into that timeline?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so, I mean it's it's definitely pre exile. The dating is it's around like zero between like two BC and two CE essentially from what I know. Yes, so we've got that before his exile. I think the Met is usually dated to round like eight CE, so this kind of predates that. Although that's not to say that he wasn't working on the Met at the same time, because it's I mean, it's fifteen books long. It probably took him a very long time and you know, arguably you could see like the the beginnings of the met here with these mythological excurses that he goes on. So yeah, the big thing about Ovid's exile in the Tristia, I believe, or ex pont it is one of his pieces of exile poetry, he claims that he was exiled for what he calls carmen et error, so a poem and a mistake, and people take the Carmen usually to be the l's amatoria. They believe that, you know, with Augustus's moral laws about adultery and the protection of the family of it, kind of prescribing casual sex, promoting adultery, all of this stuff is it just doesn't sit well with what Augustus is trying to put forward, you know, really trying to protect the Roman family and ensure that the elites were reproducing at the right rate of it is essentially sticking his fingers up to that, whether on purpose or not. So yeah, I think, like you say, it's very debated what he was exiled for. We don't know what the error was either the mistake. There's a suggestion which I find quite convincing, that he got himself involved with someone in the Julian family and you know, maybe was involved in some kind of adultery within the imperial family. So that would be a pretty good reason to exile him. But as far as I know, his wife goes with him to exile as well, So who knows not to say that he wouldn't chreat on his wife. You know from his poetry he would yeah, yeah, yeah. That's kind of the general consensus, if we can call it a consensus, is that usually it's argued that if there is a carmen a poem which was responsible for his exile, it's got to be the ars Amatoria, And if there was a mistake, it's likely to be something that would be a personal slight to Augustus. You know, how much truth there is in that we don't know? And again it comes from of its own kind of autobiographical in inverted commas writing, So how much he would yeah, exaggerate or try and you know, it would be a really good self promotion technique to say yeah, because it maybe he just made a mistake and then was like, I'm going to say it was one of my poems as well, and then people are going to be fixated on it for two thousand years, because he is the type of a poet who thought forward and you know, the metamorphases. He's like, I've sealed myself into the literary cannon now, And obviously.
Speaker 1: He's not wrong.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's lucky that, you know, his work got preserved in manuscripts.
Speaker 2: I mean, we've lost his Madeia, which is really tragic, but most of his.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say, like, just even hearing you reference Madeia earlier, I mean, I've always been fascinated by the fact that he had a madea that we don't have, and like, what was that like? But you know, from my love of the met I've always been drawn towards the idea that his Medea could be, you know, in the vein of I mean, of the others, right, the ones that do survive, because both Euripides and Seneca tend to be fairly sympathetic to her plate. Yeah, and now I wonder, Now, I wonder if it would just be like this like massive pro jason like Creos I didn't deserve it, kind of like I'm so curious.
Speaker 2: I know, it's it's such a travesty. It's one of those things that you hope will just show up one day in one of these you know, rubbish dumps where they just discover stuff. But yeah, yeah, I mean again, I'd like to think that, yeah, that he would you know, be part of the like Justice for madea Team. Yeah, I think that. Yeah, the the poetry like that where arguably he's taking it more seriously, so you know, that would be I guess a play sorts or even if he was telling it in the same way as the met I do believe that he has a more serious tone in those, even though he's still himself and he's still a bit jovial and he has always, you know, got a bit of tongue in cheek. I think that he's capable of being a serious writer, and I like to think that in Maday he probably would do that. I think that The Ards is the example, the biggest example we have of this just absolute absurdity. I feel like I keep calling it silliness, which is quite reductive. It's just the word that comes to mind, but yeah, it's it's absolutely absurd. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It is kind of comforting to call it silly though too, because we have to, like I think, we have to be reductive, because that's like, I think that's actually almost important because it shouldn't be taken seriously at all. It is silly, Like that's I think a good thing to emphasize. But yeah, like what you're saying, like he can be very serious in The Met. I mean, particularly in the madeia episodes of The Met, he's quite serious. Makes me think of Procne and Philamella, where he is incredibly serious, like that is a traumatic story and he tells it like a horror show. So it is so interesting then to turn to this work and see sort of this other side, because yeah, I mean he was he was very capable of serious poetry and serious storytelling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting you bring up, yeah, Propney and Philomena, because it's it's one that I've been doing in these lessons with about the Met and well about kind of women in ancient literature. And the example from The Met that we've used is that story and teaching that is really interesting. But people come at it from completely different angles as well, Like some people read it as purely just horrific, and that's because he's a man and he's taking pleasure and showing this horrible event, and others see him as really really sympathetic towards Philomela. And you know, I mean through this, it's not the type of poem or kind of episode that I think I would have revisited of my own accord. Really and actually going back through it and really thinking about her, I think that she is such an interesting character and of its portrayal of hers really interesting because she kind of maintains her femininity throughout everything that happens to her. A lot of his especially his rape victims, will barely any of them get revenge at all. Most of them are metamorphosed as part of like a way of saving them in inverted commerce. And yeah, the fact that she gets remain revenge but arguably isn't really masculinized in her strength. She still maintains this real femininity, and that was something that a lot of people are like, you know, talking about it, that they've resonated with is like, rarely do you get ancient women who are strong without also being kind of masculine. If you think of like Atalanta and figures like that who are like, I'm going to remain virginal in a way where I compete with men so that they can't like win me over Yeah, she's she's a really interesting character, and it's it's so difficult to yeah, to reconcile OVID in episodes like that, and Ovid the OVID that's written this this piece where yeah, he's talking about the Sabine rape and saying like, that's why you should go to the theater, and you know, this is funny, and I mean you can see the same kind of seriousness and understanding of the horror of these assaults in that short passage about the Sabine rape, but the context that he sits it in is completely just it's just, yeah, a huge juxtaposition, and he does, yeah that I think Book one is the most rife with this kind of stuff. So a bit later on he says, it's all right to use force. Force of that sort goes down well with the girls. They love to yield. What what they'd love to yield, they'd often rather have stolen. So this is one of the quotes that again, you know, we talk about him being kind of absurd and that as kind of I guess I don't want to draw too much of a distinction between like learned readers and like layman readers, because I believe that everyone should be able to access this poetry and understand it. But like, surely you have to have some kind of deliberate blinkers on to read that and be like, cool, I'm going to apply that to my life now. But that's what's happening. And that's why these texts are so important to keep going back to, is because someone has read that and gone right, so forceful sex is okay, especially to the point where it's basically rape. Although I don't believe he uses the word rape, the translation I have says, yeah, the audacity of near rape is a compliment.
Speaker 1: Well, that sounds like he is picking. I don't even know what the word I want, but he is, yeah, picking and choosing what he's calling rape. Because literally, if you, I mean, you've just described rape, you can't just then call it near rape. And I didn't. I didn't say rape, Like, well, if you describe non consensual sex, I'm sorry to tell you that's what it is. It reminds me of like, obviously, the point of my podcast is to talk about how most of Greek mythology involves assault, and we've not been taught that it is assault for like the last hundreds of years, but the number of times that I have been told that, Like, you know, because say the story of you know what, I'll say the story of of say your ropa, right, like, like, I don't think that one's I think I know it is often described as the rape of Europa, you know, like these these stories that we we call that, we call it the rape of a woman. But that obviously that terminology, you know, has been used for hundreds of years, and so people will come to me and they'll say like, oh no, no, that's just an old word that meant abduction. And I just look at like, I mean, I never look at the people. It's always online, but I just want to look them dead in the eye and be like, why do you think that is? Why do you think that the word for abduction used to be rape? Is it because that was the intention of the abduction? Like get a grip? Yeah, that's the whole point. Like you can't just say it wasn't rape just because you wanted to not be described it? Would you described it as a rape? What can I tell you?
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: Oh that's so yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I think yeah. That the only other point I had on this type of stuff that I just really wanted to draw out is a bit away from that side of things, still in a similar vein, but not as explicitly about raping women.
Speaker 6: I guess something that he kind of preaches throughout is this idea of like I guess, like a meritocracy of like, work hard enough at your pick up artistry, and you know, oh, work hard enough your seduction whatever we.
Speaker 2: Want to call it. You know, it's essentially the same stuff that is in modern pickup artistry. Yeah, work hard enough and you will be able to win over any woman. And I think that that is like a really I think this is actually almost the crux of the issue is that that is such a dangerous precedent that Ofvid is saying any woman can be won over. And this is what's dangerous about pick up artistry and how it links into in cells is people feel like they have a right and that this is you know that the being told no means try again later, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but no means try harder, Like yeah, yeah, this is what.
Speaker 2: It is they're saying. Like he literally is like, be persistent. If she says no, just try again another time, or keep keep persisting, And he literally does prescribe, just work harder, work hard enough, and you can have any woman. And he talks about women's bidos being much stronger than men's, which is a very interesting thing that I think has persisted quite a lot through history, and especially like female medicine as well. It's quite dangerous this idea that like women are really lust full. So yeah, he talks about the female libido being strong, then talks about it being like equivalent to a kind of minad style frenzy, and talks about his examples of female lust are all examples of incest and best reality. So he talks about like episodes from the Met, which is why I'm like really hesitant to talk about the dating because it's it's just something that I'm not sure of, and I feel like he's either written part of the met at this point or is like published bits of it. I really don't know on that side of things, But yeah, he's he's talking about Mirror and her wanting to sleep with her father. He has another of incest. He talks about pass looking at the bull and being just overwhelmed with lust, and like he describes female lust, it perpetuates this idea which you still see today of like not only it's kind of this use of like kind of feminism against itself, where they're like, women have sexual agency, but they're told not to talk about it by the patriarchy, and that's bad. So what we have to do is decide for them what they want. And that's the level that's kind of been reached today. And actually it's interesting to see this with others that he has a similar thing, but obviously just not quite as conscious of itself. I guess where he's saying, Yeah, women are inherently lustful and sex crazed, and therefore they will go for you if you try hard enough. Like, of course they will no idea about exclusively lesbian women. I mean, I know that homosexuality wasn't conceived of in the same way in the ancient world, but like, yeah, there would have been women who only wanted to sleep with women, there would have been a sexual women. Yeah, there's just this, yeah, this concept that like they must want you somehow, And I think that's like, I guess, like the main point that I wanted to make about the kind of the dangers here. It's not all just cherry picking certain aspects of the text and putting it into this modern context, which is a huge issue. It's also there is this rhetoric here which I believe has been continued. I don't believe that all of these people are using OVID as a direct source. I think that it's a continuation over you know, thousands of years of this idea that, yeah, if you work hard enough, you'll be able to get what you want. And there's yeah, no kind of concept of a woman's right to say no, and a woman's just the idea that women might not want to sleep with you, which is why men get these disillusioned men who believe that they are involuntarily celibate because they're like and try just assholes.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and still be an assholes. That's the number one solution for in cells, be not gross like God. It reminds me of so much rhetoric from today, where you know that these people aren't reading AVID in most cases. It's just that this persists, like the idea of you know, the guy who's mad because he's a nice guy and the girl keeps going for someone else, and it's like, hey, dude, maybe you're not the fucking nice guy, Like you're not the arbiter of that, and then also this idea that like now it makes me like I watch a lot of like tiktoks from like women who are happily proclaiming that they're single and child free because that is what I am and it's nice to like not be alone, and and like the number of times that they'll reply to a man's comment where it's like, oh, you're gonna end up an old cat lady, and the women are like, great, do you think that's a threat? Like if they if the decision is between and it's I realized I didn't even register the fact that I'm sitting here with my cat on my lape that sentence, yeah, pausing that sentence to deal with the fact that that cat won't leave me alone. But but like yeah, like this it's like, okay, if I have to choose between a shitty man who who is just going to make my life more difficult, or the complete freedom of living on my own with a loving little cat, like oh, I'm so sorry, Like yeah, I'm gonna be sad for the rest of my life because I don't have you at this asshole like in my life. Like it's this this bizarre mentality that that all women must like or just for sure, like all straight women. Let's even just go that far. Yeah, like all straight women must want a man. That's the ultimate goal. And eventually they will get so tired of being single that they'll settle for a piece of shit. And it's like, I don't know how to tell you that being single is like pretty great, Mike. I don't answer to anybody, and I do not need that to change unless the guy is amazing. Yeah yeah, and guess what they're mostly not.
Speaker 2: That's time too, you know, it really reminds me of It was literally something I saw today. There's you know, around this time of year in particular. I don't know if they do it in like, you know, North America as well, but in the UK we have these reclaim the Night marches where especially as it starts to get darker because of like daylight savings, women will all gather and just walk through the town and it's about, you know, we should feel safe walking at.
Speaker 1: Night, and I wish we had that is that we don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, there's one happening in Extra at the end of this month, which is why it's kind of fresh in my mind. And they shared this It was just a Twitter exchange, and it was this guy saying reasons why women are single. They walk too fast, they have their headphones on, they're rude when I try and talk to them, And it was like someone had replied to it, basically saying, like, the three main ways that women present like protect themselves from unwanted attention is by walking fast, and wearing headphones and being a bra.
Speaker 1: So sorry, we're doing that on purpose. Yeah, that is intentional because we do not want to talk to you. I don't know how to tell you, like that's not an accident. Yeah, but I really think that that's such a it's such a good like way of understanding their mentality, like a lot of the time, like obviously we're generalizing obviously, but like but again, like I mean, if there's a if there's a dude listening to my show of all shows who thinks that when I say this, I mean him specifically, then you know what probably I do because the good ones realize that I'm talking about the shitty ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but not all men in the comments.
Speaker 1: Fine, fine, that's like my entire show. Like that's fine, this is not new, but like, yeah, this this mentality that like we must want a man, and it is because like the reasons why we're single or stuff like that, walking to pass with headphones like, oh, you must you need to stop doing that because you want a man. It's like that, Yeah, they can't fathom that that's on purpose. They're like, yeah, that's the whole point. Yeah, I walk with headphones on so no one talks to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yes yeah. And also just like I mean safety, yes, absolutely, it's safety. Like you know, I think it's so important that we like are so open about all the different things that women do to protect ourselves from men. But like, in addition too, it's also that you know, nine times out of ten, if a dude talks to you on the street, he's being a creep. So even if I'm not feeling like explicitly unsafe, you know, like it's it's light out, I'm in a crowd of people, whatever, Like I still want to avoid a creepy dude talking to me, you know, like that's still the point. Like I think, you know, one of the last times that that I had a guy try to like, you know, I'm walking around with my headphones in and and like you know, they like make a motion to you know, take them out or whatever. And it's like for me, which is not visible on this call, but like for me, one of the things that men do most is to like they think they're complimenting, like I'm covered in tattoos, and they just like think they're complimenting it, and they're always fucking weird, and it's like it's such as it's a kind of similar mindset specifically tied to I think women with tattoos that like the idea that that I got them and I and I want men to talk to me about them, and like that's why I got tattoos. And I'm like, I can't assure you enough that like these are not for you. I don't want to talk to you about them. I don't want you to compliment my ink, Like you're always going to sound like a dumb ass. And it's always dudes who aren't tattooed, because dudes who are tattooed get it. And you're like, I just yeah, I find it. It's so entertaining to kind of navigate.
Speaker 2: You didn't go through hours of needles stabbing your skin and pay you know, hundreds of potentially thousands of dollars to get this stuff on you for a guy to stop you in the street and.
Speaker 1: Be like hm, cool ink, like honestly, And there was just a word tat more than anything horrible anyway. Yeah, just the ways that this is just still so relevant is I mean, I knew, but it's still my god, it's horrib.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean just to like, I guess bring it back into a little bit. There's it's you know, if we're talking about women out on the street, and how much of that you know will end up on the on the cutting room floor. But the idea of like being able to walk around and not be bothered. He he does talk about in his advice about you know, how to how to get a woman approach her when she's out in her litter, so like her little walking group with her kind of companions, that little guards like keeping us safe. Make sure that you bury her pace so that sometimes you're ahead of her, sometimes you're behind her. Make sure that like whenever you can, you brush your hand against hers. And and that just readss like stalker ish and and he says like literally follow her down the promise if she goes for walks, make sure you know where her walking spots are like stuff like this. It's just like it's it's literally follow women but also rub up against them as much as possible without seeing if they actually want that. Like I think, as a woman reading these texts, you're kind of just like, that really isn't good advice because I mean, not to give him credit, but I guess like certain bits of it are just interesting or seem to be about forming good relationships. It's, you know, it is like, take care of her when she's ill, and then he'll finish that off with the seeds that you've sown will reap you a big reward in the future.
Speaker 1: So she can't even be nice about this one nice thing.
Speaker 2: I was trying to give an example of him being nice, and I just backed I just realized that wasn't a good example. But there are bits and pieces where he gives advice that would actually be relatively useful. And obviously those are ones that I haven't touched because they're not as fun as well, and there's interesting and just inflammatory, you know. But I would never advise anyone to read this book and actually take any of it as advice because there is this under current all the way through of just just persist and get access to the women at any any cost. Essentially.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's true of all, like of modern pickup artistry too, where it's like this is not going to work. You have been conned into thinking that this will work. Yeah, and that's simply not the case. It's horrific advice. What are you doing?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And with modern pickup artistry as well, there's this kind of even clearer idea to bring it back to like the meritocracy and like if you work hard enough, you get what you want. Not only is that in of its work, it's more just like a dangerous precedent to set. But in modern pickup artistry, they will make them keep paying to come back. It's not only exploitative of the women that they approach, it's exploitative of the men who take part in these things. There's a really good piece by it's kind of a sociological text by Rachel O'Neill called Seduction, and she basically immersed herself in pick up artists cultures in or like kind of seduction groups in London. So this book came out I think in twenty eighteen, so it was like for a couple of years before that, and she talks about like the money side of it, that like they just keep paying to come back, and a lot of them end up really disillusioned by the end of it. And I think that that's where like pick up artistry on its own is pretty dangerous and creepy and weird. But once you then get these disillusioned guys who have had their heads filled with ideas about what they deserve because they've worked so hard and paid so much money, that's where I think that the real danger lies in all of this, and that yeah, that they can take an ancient text that certainly does have these elements in it and just present snippets of it as evidence. It really gives people the idea that what they're doing is right as well, which is why I think it's it's so important to talk about these poems, especially as people who are reading them in a wider context, understanding the context that they were written in, and you know, knowing that Ovid is rarely serious in his love poetry, and that you know, whether you whether you you know, buy into him just being like a fun little prankster or not. I think there's this idea that people who aren't familiar with the context, are just taking it for their own means, And yeah, that's that's why I think it's really important that we keep talking about them. There's this suggestion that, like, should we teach the arts amatoria, so like, absolutely, we need to content waring loads of it, but I think it's really important that we are talking about it and understanding where these thought processes come from.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, yeah, no, I mean it makes me think of like the number of times that I have been told that, like I need to just stick to the mythology and not talk about the treatment of women, And I'm like, that's literally what I'm doing. It's that the mythology treats women like shit. And if we keep, yeah, like if we keep only taking in these these versions that have been retold to wash over all of that and pretend as though all these women actually loved Zeus even when he was the fucking swan, Like yeah, like that's what's ridiculous. Like what I'm doing is literally talking about the ancient sources exactly as they exist. Ye, I'm sorry if that makes you uncomfortable, Like that's how it is, and yeah, I mean it is very applicable to Avid, and yeah, I mean for all that, Like, yeah, I think it's pretty safe to say that he recognizes the absurdity in a lot of the hours, like he is still saying it. It does still exist, Like we can absolutely still talk about it, and it's the same. You know, like a lot of people hear me and they think that they're like, why do you talk about this if you hate mythology, And I'm like, I fucking love mythology. I just am still going to talk about how it was awful to women. And it's like I'll still love Avid and has met and like be fascinated by him and register that the ours is gross and dangerous, especially today, but like, yeah, I mean we can have both.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, yeah, Yeah, And like we don't know what he was like as a person, and you know, I mean I feel like it's kind of echoing what I know. You had Freddy Kimpton come on here, and something that he said really kind of resonated with me, because I mean we've studied together and we talk about OVID quite a lot, and we come at of it's work from completely opposite points of view as well, in terms of he's focusing on different poems to me. And I think the thing that Freddie said that's really just important for the ours as well, is like all we have is the words, So you know, in terms of if we are to just reduce it to what we have written down, what we have written down is difficult and worth talking about. And that's kind of the crux of it, I guess, is just that no matter whether we read it is meant to be kind of tongue in cheek, meant to be taken seriously, these words still have effect, and it's you know, a different reader could interpret them differently, And there are readers out there who are taking this at face value and going out into the world and behaving in the way that OVID says to behave, which just, yeah, isn't the type of world that I kind of feel safe in, I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Well, and what you said earlier, you know about how like one, yeah, like modern pickup artistry is uh full, like they're scam artists in the exact same breath that they are misogynist assholes, Like yeah, well they're doing dangerous for women, but it is also scamming men, like they are talented in their just generally being horrific, but also like, yeah, the mentality that it that imbus that it that it that men think they deserve women and sex, Like that's that's the danger. And yeah, like you know, if if if examining and talking about this ancient work can and also like you know, draw light on on that that's still happening, that that these you know, ideas still exist and they're still disgusting and we you know, still can like break down kind of what what is going on there or or just like enlighten people who who aren't like that, you know, about these works and and like allow them to kind of see it for what it is both absurd and you know and dark and twisted, and you know, like I mean, yeah, it's still it's absolutely still valid. Also to study problematic works. Yeah, yeah, like as long as you recognize that they're problematic, like exactly, I mean, like this isn't entirely the same, but I fucking love madea Like I'm fine when she kills her children because it's sectional and it's and it's twenty five hundred years old, and like I can just still enjoy it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I don't know, it's interesting when whenever any kind of ancient work comes under fire like that, or think about it in the opposite respect where where like the right wing conservatives are like they're trying to cancel Homer, and you're like, oh my god, get a fucking grip. Like the closest thing to ever even remotely attempting to like stop studying something would be something that is outright dangerous, like the ours, and even still like I think we should still study it. People like, I mean, got the idea that anyone's trying to cancel Home or get a grip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, oh it's it's ridiculous, I think, yeah, with the whole You know, if if we were never to study texts that were problematic, classics and ancient history as a discipline would be dead.
Speaker 1: It would be literature. Yeah yeah, I have an English degree to the double major. I can tell you that studying English lid is just as problematic studying classics.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, you find out, you know that the guys that were writing all of these amazing pieces of literature just absolutely dicks in their personal life.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, oh it's just yeah, oh my god, this I knew this conversation would be good, but it's just it's fucking fascinating. It's so gross. Like I do love, though, to laugh at it in this way and to point out the absurdity. I do think, like you're saying, like it is so beneficial but also deeply enjoyable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you. It's really really fun to just like, yeah, to have a bit of time to talk about it in this way, because it's it's difficult when you're studying something like the ARS to get across this kind of I mean, you know, I feel like in terms of scholarly views, I have sat very much on the fence throughout this whole thing, and that is where I am at the moment, is like I'm not sure whether I read of it as sincere or tongue in cheek. And that's the really good kind of thing about I guess this format is that I don't need to know. I haven't really written all that much about the URS because I just struggle with it too much. I'm like, I'm going to disagree with myself in two years time, So yeah, it's really just have the opportunity to just to just chat about it and talk about how absolutely fucking insane it is anti.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I mean no matter which side you fall on of that question, it's still fucking absurd. So this conversation is just as valid regardless of what opinion you might form or than change two years later or whatever, because, like you said, or like Freddy said on my that past episode, like, the words are what we have and the words are absurd and silly in that way where I think it is kind of nice to be reductive because it is so just over the top ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Yeh.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean, regardless of what Avid did or did not mean, of whether he was a cool guy or a piece of shit or somewhere in the middle, Like, regardless of any of that, he wrote this and here we are. So this is very fine. Yeah, no, absolutely, yeah, it's just I love it, but clearly, like we can talk about it forever, but we won't. But is there do you want to share anything with my listeners in terms of reading more from you or following you anywhere? It's also fine if that's not something you want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, absolutely so, I relatively active on I was gonna say Twitter x twitter, whatever you want to call it. Yeah, I feel like, yeah, it's like a form of protesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, speaking of the men who are pieces of ship. We're just going to keep calling you Twitter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, yeah, so I have yeah, like public Twitter and Instagram both are image and underscore risco. I mean, I'm not massively active on either in terms of posting, but I repost things that to do with my work, so that's helpful. And I co edit a magazine which is free to access online. It's currently on a free version of WordPress. We're hoping we might be able to get some money together to you know, make it ad free eventually. But yeah, it's called Ecclesia Magazine. The kind of the idea behind it is it's something that myself and its well, one of my friends from my MA came up with this idea kind of because he was out of classics and missed it so much that he wanted to still be writing about it and still be involved in that world.
Speaker 1: I know that feeling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. The whole ethos of it is like accessibility, So it's always going to be free to access, even if that means that it's on a bit of a you know, an ad wridden platform at the moment. Also, we accept submissions from anyone regardless of level of you know, academic achievement. We're not looking for exclusively you know, doctors, PhDs, things like that. We've got a couple on there, just because obviously that's my kind of work circle. But yeah, we publish on anything to do with the ancient world. So I've written a couple of pieces for that. I've written one on a poet from Devon called Fiona Benson, who's done a book. It's it's a lovely poetry anthology, but really hard hitting in places where she kind of refit a lot of stories from the Met and she recasts Zeus as like a modern rapist. So in places, I mean it's called Zeus obviously is Jupiter in the met but a lot of her sources are taken from the Mets, so she has a kind of a Daphne episode and Iron and she kind of it's kind of timeless, but like recontextualizes it a bit more modern. So basically the premises that Zeus is on trial and we're seeing different pieces of evidence against him. It's a brilliant, brilliant piece of work.
Speaker 1: I don't know how I haven't heard of this. Yeah, this is like everything I want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we've actually got two pieces published on that one piece of work because a couple of us are just absolutely obsessed with it. So yeah, I wrote something about kind of this idea of timelessness in victimhood and mainly focusing on Fion events, and but I think that that idea is really applicable to the met as well. So yeah, that's the main thing to push is you know, Ecclesia Magazine. We work very hard on it. We've only been doing it for like seven months, so it's still a bit of a baby, but any readership is brilliant for us. And then yeah, we're always looking for secondary editors, people to write for us stuff like that. So let me just double check what because our handles are different on Instagram and Twitter at the moment. Yeah, Ecclesia Underscore Magazine. So Acclesia is in the Greek word for like a gathering, not ecclesiastical churches. Great, yeah, and then yeah, on on Twitter it's Ecclesia Underscore mag just mag rather creavaccine. Yeah, that's the main thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, I'm so glad you have heard about that. I will yeah, I'll link to everything in the episodes of descriptions people can find it, but I'm also just going to go and follow. Yeah, I will. This is exciting. I love learning about new things too, but I'm also always happy to promote that stuff.
Speaker 2: So yeah, thank you so much. That's really lovely.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh I love that that exists. That's so great. Well, thank you so much for doing this. This was ridiculous amounts of fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you so much for having me. Like I said, it's just so nice to be able to, Yeah, just just talk about the absolute absurdity of this text and not in a kind of a lower pressure context. I'm not having to come to any big conclusions. It's lovely.
Speaker 1: It's my favorite thing about this show. We're just gonna rant and ramble about the world and like, and everyone loves to listen, so it's perfect.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah, haha, nerds, thank you so much for listening, as always, enormous thanks to Imagine for having this conversation.
Speaker 1: Like, not only is it a topic I so wanted to talk about more, but we just had so much fun, which is hard when you're talking about something utterly horrifying, But we did great together and I appreciate it. I can't tell you enough, how horrifying some of the ours Amatoria is not least because of the ways it has inspired modern dangerous men. Uh huh. But fortunately, when something is so utterly absurd, it's also seriously fun to make fun of, just like the entire in cell mentality. Maybe just don't be an asshole? Have you ever thought of that? Anyway, this episode was long enough, so I will just leave you by saying that you can find links to image and social media that she mentioned in the episode's description, as well as the Ecclesia magazine, which seems very wonderful and cool. The more accessible ancient content the better, so find links to everything in the description there. Let's talk about Myth's Baby is written and produced by me Leah Albert. MICHAELA. Smith is the Hermes to my Olympians, better known as the assistant producer. Laura Smith is the production assistant and audio engineer. The podcast is part of the iHeart podcast Network. Listen on Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. Help me continue bringing you the world of Greek mythology and the ancient Mediterranean by become a patron, where you will get bonus episodes and more and Kurt patrons, I promise you will hear from me soon. It's been a time. Visit patreon dot com slash miss baby, or click the link in this episode description. A reminder what my patreon. It is primarily considered to be helping me with the free podcast. You do not get a lot of bonus content, and I will not pretend otherwise. I do not have the time I am. I am perpetually drowning, but there is a lot of backed up bonus content and if you want to help, you would be just helping me produce, you know, two free episodes a week. I am live and I love this shit.