Speaker 1: Welcome to Money Making Conversations.
Speaker 2: It's the show that she is the secrets of success experience firsthand by Marketing and Brandon expert Rashan McDonald. I will know he's giving me advice on many occasions. And in case you didn't notice, I'm not broke. You know he'll be interviewing celebrity CEOs, entrepreneurs and industry decision make because it's what he likes to do, it's what he likes to share. Now it's time to hear from my man, Rashan McDonald money Making Conversations.
Speaker 1: Here we go, McDonald welcoing backing money Making Conversation master Class. As you know, the interviews and information that this show provides are for everyone. It's time to start reading other people's success stories and start living your own. My guest is the director of Small Business Success at Constant Contact. He's also a speaker, host and podcast obsessed with helping small business owners find time for online marketing since two thousand and six. Please welcome to Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Dave Shahrast how.
Speaker 3: Are you doing, sir? I am doing great, Rashaan, thank you so much for having me with you tonight.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I, you know, I would like to believe I'm a marketing and branding expert. You know, I people tell me that. I tell myself that to build my own confidence and as part of my resume. What exactly in your version is marketing when you when you're looking at a product and and how and what is defined? Why do you define marketing? I should ask you that question, sir.
Speaker 3: All right, that's a great question. I think you know, and in simplest terms, and you know, I'm typically talking to small business owners, and I say it like this because of that, because I think oftentimes, you know, small business owners are business owners first marketers by necessity, right, So these aren't folks necessarily with the business degree or the marketing degree and all of that. And so I just described it like this. Marketing is really all about communicating with the people that have an interest in what it is that you do and what you offer, right, And that's that in its simplest terms, it's that, right, And so it's really thinking about how do you communicate on a regular basis build those relationships because we know people do business with people they know like and trust, and how do you do that on a consistent basis, so that your business is top of mind and people think about you when they're looking for what it is that you offer, or when somebody says to them, hey, do you know somebody that does such and such or has this type of thing, and they're going to think of you first as well. So at the simplest level, it's really about that, just communicating your.
Speaker 1: Network up and that's doing it constantly correct Dave, not just doing it every once in a while, because a lot of people miss that boat too. They don't realize that marketing and I always tell people if you drove by a store like Target, and then if you drove by the seven days a week and four days a week the sign never came on at night, you would go you would you would think there's a problem over they're going or Target has issues. It has to be that sign has to be consistently on at that time at night so people can get a rhythm and eventually go in. Because everybody doesn't go in when they drive by, they will go in when they feel the need to go in there or sell. Balking tool is putting in place to invite them into the business. Are the experience correct?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Absolutely. That's a great point. And I think a mistake we often see people make a lot of the times is that, I mean, you've probably experienced somebody listening has gone through this where you're like, oh, I've got this thing going, I'm going to talk to somebody about it. I'm gonna say something about it. But then you're not there any other time, and then you're like, oh, well, there wasn't much of a response to that, right, And it's often because you haven't been consistent, you haven't been showing up, and you haven't been there keeping your business top of mind, starting to build those relationships. And it's through that. It's that consistency that then when you ask for something, when you're providing value, right, you're doing these things, and you ask for something because you've been there, that's what makes that thing work better.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: And oftentimes, I mean you see this when people, you know, people often talk about like an overnight success or something like that. Right, What we don't see is all the years of consistent effort that somebody put in to get to that point. We just see the success part, right, right. And so there's really it's the same thing with marketing, right, It's a consistency. It's showing up, it's being there, and at a certain point that you really start to see that take hold because then people are really kind of noticing and you're showing up there all the time, and the reality is, you know, unfortunately you have to say that, like, not everybody is thinking about your business as much as you are. And you know, right.
Speaker 1: Right, that's important people say that. You know, just because you love that hamburger, don't mean everybody gonna love that hamburger, you know, because some people might say, I prefer Turkey burgers or I prefer you know, Phish burgers, and so it's important that you understand that there's a percentage of the public is not going to buy your product or don't see value in your product. So that means that you have to target your product to that audience consistently. And that's where I think a lot of people either get frustrated or they don't understand how marketing actually work or how you know, you know they acting. I would love when you open the door of your first day of your business that is a live waight outside we were all. That's the dream of every entrepreneur, no matter what you do but it doesn't happen that way. What does happen is consistent marketing. And that's why I was excited to bring you on the show because of the fact that you work for a company will use a small business director of success at Constant Contact. What exactly is constant contact?
Speaker 3: So constant Contact. We're a business that really we're driven by this mission of helping small santal and we do that by providing online marketing tools that are designed specifically for small business owners. You know I mentioned earlier business owners first market to buy necessity. You don't need a degree or you don't need to hire a team to figure out how to use our tools that are designed to be easy to use, something that you can do and if you need to, you can actually pick up the phone and talk to somebody and will help you with something if you need that guidance as well, because we know time is of the utmost importance for small business owner is wearing many hats and sometimes you just got to get something done and you don't have the time to go, you know, search and figure out how to do it if you don't know how to do it, and so we try to provide that for pre bill as well. And so really the idea is in the name Constant Contact. Right, we were talking about consistency and marketing all the time. It's about how do you stay in touch with those most important people for your business and you know, again keep your business top of mind, how do you communicate it and build those relationships? And that's we provide the tools to help people do that.
Speaker 1: Cool. I'm talking to Dave. He's the director of Small Business Success at Contest Constant Contact. One of the thing that I really enjoyed when I was looking at your bio was that your background is social media marketing because emails and social media marketing, you know, those are two levels. Because you know, there's television out there, there is radio out there. Sometimes your budget can't hit those lanes. They can't hit you like those lanes, but when it comes to emails and social media, that can fall in your budget. Now, when you look at Constant Contact, is that an email based platform.
Speaker 3: Or what is it? Yeah? So I think the core of our platform is about email. I think if you think of any digital or online marketing strategy, really email is the core of that. Right, That's the thing that kind of drives everything that you do. You know, you bring up social media. I think that's a great channel for engagement and reaching new people. But the issue with it, of course is that you're kind of playing on rented land, right. So whatever channel you decide to spend or focus your energy, you know, it's all these days really driven by algorithms, right, and so or if a site goes down or something happens, like you have no control over that. And what we often recommend is, yes, like use those channels, but always do that with an eye towards bringing people closer to your business and into a space where you own that contact, right, And so that means either an email address or an SMS number a text number that gives you the ability to then say, okay, I want to contact people at this time, and it allows you to reach the customer directly in a place where they've invited you, like giving you that contact information. So you're going to have a better relationship there as well, just from the start, and it allows you to do that on your terms, and you own that list as as the phrase goes, right, the money is in the list. It's those people that you can contact on a consistent basis that are going to be more beneficial to you at the end of the day. And it's really about using each of these tools in unison together to again keep your business top of mind.
Speaker 1: You know, it's really important that because we're talking about marketing now, Dave, and when I was managing Steve Harvey we created the Steve Harvard Morning Show. We had an email database of about about eight hundred thousand emails and uh and and then we then then social media exploded. Everybody got gotta get Twitter, you gotta get a Facebook, gotta get it, Instagram, gotta get all that. And what I discovered this is Rishid McDonald. I'm just saying, I'm an authority, is that somebody might like you, follow you because of a hamburger, a dress, a movie that you posted. There's so many reasons why people can like you or follow you. What I've discovered, and you can really validate this if it's true. When someone makes a conscious effort to put in their name and an email address, that's a different type of person than a person who likes something or follows something on social media. That's a much more I think investment that they're making in the email, and that's much more valuable, I think asset than a social media person.
Speaker 3: Am I wrong when I say that?
Speaker 1: Or can you correct?
Speaker 3: You know, you're one hundred percent correct. I'm over here shaking my head, which plays really well on the radio. But yeah, like that's it exactly right. Like it's it's that act of somebody raising their hand and then opting in to receive messages for you. It's almost like like, think of it like this. It's somebody walking into your store and saying, hey, I want to buy something, right or I want to learn more about what it is that you have here. And that's a lot different from somebody if we use social media. As you know, the litnus here is like somebody just driving by the store and like looking in the window. They've actually stopped the car and they've come into the store, right, somewhat similar to that, and so that's why that's so much more powerful. And you know, you mentioned some big numbers here, you know, in terms of eight hundred thousand, which again i'd love to talk about, like what are some of the things that you've seen with that, But I think it's also important to recognize that you don't need to have eight hundred thousand right, depending on your business, particularly if you're a local business, a small business owner, you know a couple one hundred people, you know, you know some a thousand people. Sure, the more you have, the better you're going to do it in a certain pace. But sometimes you know, one hundred people on your list can be very valuable to your business, depending on the nature of your business.
Speaker 1: And that's what I want to talk to about, because see, people get caught up in the you know, the celebrity numbers, the million you know I call the blinding body Kardashian members. You know, you think you got to have all those type of numbers to be successful, all the tremendous engagement of views, of shares and all that. Because Antoia, that's what I said. I that's why I was excited, because I know I was going to talk to someone who had invested knowledge of what social media is and also has a clear understanding of the email relationship in creating the business relationship that happens because of the fact that when you send that email out and I'm just this is my recommendation to small businesses in general, is that I threw out the number eight hundred thousand. I just threw that number. This is Steve Harvey. Okay, he's on the radio five days a week. He can get a number like that. But you don't need a number like that. You can need a but you need to start start developing it. And like you said, when I was as a stand up comic years ago, I would go into cities and I put my little cards down and ask people to fill out their names. And then when I came back into town, I was sitting out mailing lists and letting people know I would come and they would show up. And so really the bare bone basis is the relationship that emails can create for a growing business, and as the business grows, it allows you to market it consistently based on the product of the type of business that you've created.
Speaker 3: Correct. So I love what you're saying here, right, And if you think about just the dynamic of it, right, where someone has given you their information and you're able to reach them in a place where right, it's like our inbox, right, and it's kind of like a more personal space. Right, It's like where we typically get messages that are kind of one to one and you can really start to make those connections with people and it sounds like this is what you're doing right, like yeah, and you can organize people in a way where you're saying like, Okay, I met these people in this town. I met these people in this town, and then you know, you can let start to let them know like, hey, I'm going to be in your town at this time, and they feel like you're talking to them in many ways. And that's why people, you know, show up because you're able to again reach them where they are in that inbox, in a place that's personal. You're able to kind of you know, segment, you know, make a smaller list of people that you want to talk too, specifically so you can target them. But it's really about at the end of the day, building that relationship. You know. And again, as I mentioned earlier, we do business with people we know, like and trust. Come to your show, they start to feel like they know you, they like what you've done, like it just adds to all of that, which again makes it it easier over time.
Speaker 1: Tool No, don't go anywhere invited. When we come back, we're going to ask Dave about what's driving the current spike in the small business. What are the percentages the open rate percentages that you should be shooting for when you have an email mailing list. Also recommendations on launching your business and top marketing tips for entrepreneurs. So a lot of information. When you come back from this break, I am talking to the director of Small Business Success at Constant Contact. I call them Dave.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back with more money Making Conversations Masterclass with Rashawn McDonald. Welcome back to the Money Making Conversations Masterclass hosted by Rashaan McDonald. Money Making Conversations Masterclass continues online at Moneymakingconversations dot com and follow money Making Conversations Masterclass on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Speaker 1: As we start these small businesses, and because the big business has got the money, they got the budget, they got the manpower. But as we start an idea and idea has to have a plan tied to it. And you always hear people talking about their friends, family and church members. You know, the great thing about a mailing list is that those church members can be part of your mailing list. Your friends can be part of your mailing list. Your friends can add their friends to your mailing list, which means that expands your network, which means that you have value your tentacles, I like to call it. And so when I talk to you Dave in regards to and Dave is the director of Small Business Success at Constant Contact, the driving what is having a current spike in new small businesses currently?
Speaker 3: You know, I think there are a few things going on, and I think if you look at the I think the US Census Buro is looking at about like five point five million new business applications in twenty twenty three. And then as we kick into the new year here you're seeing things happening right now because there's typically a seasonal spike in January, right, But there are a few things that I think are at play here that new year. As I mentioned, I think we're also seeing some places, you know, bigger businesses have some layoffs and things like that, and people are kind of in this position where, you know, if the events of twenty twenty have taught us anything, it's it's there's just really this realization that really nothing is guaranteed, right, Jobs aren't guaranteed, what's going on in the world isn't guaranteed. And I think that's a wake up call for a lot of people where they're feeling like, hey, you know, this is a this is an opportunity for me to do something for myself, right And if there's then that inkling, this is something where I have control, I'm not, you know, when I'm putting in the hours, I'm doing them for a purpose that's not to serve someone else, but to serve myself and to serve my family. And I think there's something in that attitude and that determination and grit of people that you know, take that step to start a business that's just coming to the forefront here. And I think we're just seeing that in terms of the numbers.
Speaker 1: You know, the numbers. We all play a numbers game. And the magic word that keeps popping up in the world that we live in that is ai AI. You know how is that? How is that playing a role into our Because I'll tell you this. When I started my mailing list back in the day with Steve Harvey and I, we had to have your first and last name. We'd ask for your birthdate, we asked for your your phone number, we asked for your address, we asked for your male or female. We've asked for your level of education, we asked for your income, and I also asked you. You know, of course, if you gave me your address, I found out I knew what city and state you live in. Is an AI basically all you need is just a person email address. Correct.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I think we're getting to those places where AI can help kind of fill in some of the blanks for sure. But I think what's really interesting, and you mentioned all of those things that used to collect, and I think those are still, you know, really good things to gather, because I think there are a few ways AI really comes into help here. I think, you know, again, it's it's always like a time thing, right, and so you're able to create content faster. I think about some of the ways we apply it at Constant Contact, and so you know, it can help you create, you know, an email about a promotion that you're having at your restaurant or at your store, or whatever the case may be. It also allows you if you think about using like the AI components and some automation, so like email automation together it really helps you kind of send more timely content and then really get recommendations and ideas for things that you may want to try next to help you even get better results. But I think you know to your point about collecting all that information. As you start to collect information and have more data, that's where AI really comes in. I think the most interesting part is because it's able to process a lot of data in ways that you know, humanly like you get you just don't have the ability to process it that fast and then make predictions as to things that you should do or what would be the next best message to send somebody. And that gets really interesting again depending on the nature of your business. So this is I'm thinking more along the lines of like e commerce at this point. Right, So if you're selling physical products or those types of things where you know, like, let me give you an example here. Let's say like you sell coffee, right, and you have one customer that drinks one cup like me, I'm laying with coffee. But then you got another customer that that that you know, drinks five cups a day. There's going to be a vast difference in how soon someone is going to need to replenish their cop be supplied, right, And so AI can start to process data like that and start to say like, hey, it looks like John is going to need coffee before Dave is going to need coffee, and so I'm going to send messages to keep Dave kind of like you know, helpful educational messages, things to keep them engaged, that type of thing. And I'm going to send you know, the buy now or time to replenish type of thing email a little later than John, who I'm going to send that you know, three weeks from now, because that's based on his drinking patterns, this is when he's probably going to need to buy more. Right, So you can really start to because like there's this promise in email marketing that marketers talk about all the time, right, is this idea of sending the right message to the right person at the right time, like that whole thing. And and oftentimes we do that still kind of to a whole group of people. But when you start thinking about what AI can allow you to do, it's using that automation as well. You can really start to live into that and do that on an individual basis where you're you know, you're really sending the right messages to individual people. And I think that's really where it's most interesting.
Speaker 1: Right, you know it's really interesting is that you know the open rate, that's that's the tailtale sign and the value of a mailing list is that opening rate? What is what is a good open rate? And what? And then because you have bouces and bouce means that's a bad email and you know you should remove it from your stack or so if you have depending on the brand or the setup you have, sometimes it's automatically removed. But what is a good open rate that we should be shooting for? And how often should someone sent out of the email blast a week?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: I love those I love those questions. All right, these are great questions. So a couple of things to think about here. I think you know, on average, across all industries, I think a constant contact we're seeing with our customers open rates to be around thirty six percent. Typically in the industry that has been around twenty percent. And there's like some inflation in there, I think primarily because of there are things going on with like Apple devices and things like that where they're opening emails but not necessarily it's not actually a person opening the emails, so there's like some inflation there. So I think what you should do is and you can actually if you search constant contact open rates, you'll find you can find across all industries, or you can look at a specific industry and see where those averages are. Now, I want to say this with a caveat those averages are good to be trying to give you a gauge on hey, how am I doing. But the goal should be to work your own averages and try to beat those right, And I think that's what's important. I think we can. You know, to your point earlier, when you're thinking about social media and seeing all of these large numbers of followpers, it's easy to get distracted by those things when that's actually that's somebody else. You need to really refocused on yourself. So I think that's one thing. So if you're in there, that's a good game. You mentioned we were talking about open rates when we're talking about how often a cent, So I think this is another thing where it depends on a number of factors. At the very least, and use these as a gauge as well, because you want to kind of try different things to see what works best for you and your audience. But at the very least, we try to say to people you know, at least send once a month. That's probably we're used to email now it's a little bit different from back in the day when this first kind of started. But what you're trying to do is so you can probably send a little bit more frequently, but what you're trying to do is to find that right path of being consistent. Most people that I've talked to and have seen a high level of success try to send on a weekly basis. But if you can't do that, maybe every other week or maybe it is once a month, Right, you get a weigh that with what you can actually do based on what your other responsibilities are. But again, the idea is to have something that's consistent because it's that consistency again that is going to keep you top of mind and showing up. And we've seen this play out so many times with people. I can share a story with you here if if there's some time here. But this is a real estate agent who he's been sending a weekly email since two thousand and seven, and in that email he shares his expertise and his analysis of the housing market, all of that kind of stuff, and since twenty seventeen he closes one hundred deals a year and he doesn't do any prospecting. Why because he shows up in people's and bucks every week consistently and offers them advice on what's going on in the market, lets them know, and then whenever they want to buy or sell something, who's the first person they think of?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Right, So, and we've seen this across.
Speaker 1: It becomes like a family member, a friend, an advisor, a confidant because that name's familiar, you know. It's like it's like going to your favorite coffee shop, your favorite restaurant. You go in because you feel comfortable.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly, And it's just knowing it's it's there. It's being that you're looking forward to it at a certain point. Right. And it's the same with people listening to your show. Right, It's like people know the show is on at a consistent time and time, so they come and they listen to it. It's the same kind of thing. And so it's that consistency I think is the number one factor that helps you determine. But you got to weigh it with what can you do and commit to so that you can show up consistently.
Speaker 1: They let me tell you I usually take phone calls. This segment was so engaging. I didn't take any phone call, which means if you are comfortable, I want to invite you back on my show next month because I think we've only just scratched the surface of what I'm trying to educate my audience about marketing and especially this constant mark, because we haven't even gotten into Yes, now you have the open rate, it's open, but they have toge again, engage into your what you've sent. We haven't even gotten into that portion because there's another click that has to happen. They can open it, but they also have to click which you sent them. I'll become engaged with what you sent there. So I just know that we need to talk more and I want to. I want to appreciate you calling in. This the first time we've communicated, and I mean, I'm just overjoyed that the information that my audience is getting from this relationship that I've created with you. And if you have time, please come back next month.
Speaker 3: I would love that. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Cook. This is Dave. He's the director of small business Success at Constant Contact. We'll be back with more money making conversation. This is it. I gotta say goodbye, thank everybody for listening to the show, and I'll be back next week. This is Rushan McDonald. Keep listening and we will keep giving you great advice. Again. Thank you, Thank you Dave for coming on the show. Bye bye, thank.
Speaker 4: You for joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations Master Class. Money Making Conversations Masterclass with rough Shan McDonald is produced by thirty eight to fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight to fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight fifteen media dot com. And always remember to lead with your gifts.