Speaker 1: Hey, this is Sanny and Samantha. I'm welcome to Stephan never told your protection of iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: And welcome to another feminist movie Friday. If you're listening to it on a Friday. If not just a feminist movie, you're welcome. And today we are featuring a long overdue movie. Should we should have been talked about this one before. It is waiting to exhale. And I actually didn't realize that it's a great New Year's classic. So if you need more New Year's movies, here you go put that in your list. I will say before I started watching it, because I have never actually seen it. Nineteen ninety five, I would have been fifteen, so I didn't watch a lot of like I don't think these along these lines. But adult romance, by the way, I mean, like a serious adult on me. That's what I meant. But I keep getting confused with Stella gets her groove back. And I was waiting for Taye Diggs the entire movie, Oh No, and he never showed up. And I was like, what's happening, Leslie?
Speaker 3: Snap never showed up?
Speaker 1: Geez, isn't that what these movies Stella is about?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 3: True?
Speaker 2: But I was just like, wait, where's t Dis? I thought, he wears what? Why aren't they on a beach? On a beach?
Speaker 3: But they do end up on a beach.
Speaker 1: I had never seen this, nor had I seen Stella gets Her Groove Back, but I very much remember the poster of Stella gets Her Groove Back. I don't know why, but I just remember that poster very vividly. So maybe another future.
Speaker 2: I guess we do need to come back. And I'm sure it's because of Angela Bassett herself, but I was just like, wait, what so but it's still an amazing movie even without te Dis. It's okay, And of course it is a classic as it is a powerhouse of a movie with an amazing cast and crew that includes Angela Bassett. As we said, Whitney Houston, Hello, r Ip Loretta Devine, who I was like, Hey, Loretta, I've seen her in so many things, including Supernatural, who was supposed to be an original and she didn't like a regular and she wasn't. Did you know that? Love her though? And I could not think of her name in Supernatural. It's like, what is it?
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 2: I had to look it up. Yeah it was. I kept went through every m state but MISSOURII.
Speaker 1: I've actually very very nerdy, fun fact, I have taken to doing state quizzes lately, just a test that I know where all the states are.
Speaker 2: It's pretty good. You need to do more tests. I think I've forgotten a lot of remedial things.
Speaker 1: Well, because there was like this whole thing going around about the Iowa primaries and everyone was like, you don't know where Iowa is and I was like, oh my god, I think I know where it is, but through what I really And so now I'm just taking state tests like every you should well.
Speaker 2: And I was confused because someone said that they went to Utah to ski, and I know that's a thing, but then I kept the get.
Speaker 3: Wait, Utah, are you tell us not?
Speaker 2: It's not their right and I know people do, but at the same time it started confusing me, and I was like, you do anyway? But a Loretta Devine, yes, who plays Missouri Moses in Supernatural just fun fact, uh, and Leila ra Sean, Gregory Hines, Wesley Snipes, John Carlo Esposito, which barely is not credited in here. Yeah, but we all know him. Hello.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: The script was co written by the actual book author Terry McMillan, directed by Force Whitaker, and I think I knew that once upon a time, but then I was like what I had to come back? And the music by the iconic award winning Kenneth Babyface Edmonds. And if you don't know Babyfaces music, I don't think you were around in the nineties. You just you just don't understand early nineties because this was there were so many awards to this, but they won a lot of awards for their soundtrack, which included Yes, Brandy, Hello Brandy, and Whitney Houston My Loves Anyway. Of course, the release date of this movie was nineteen ninety five, so there are some problematic themes, some problematic scenes within the movie, including homophobic slurs which hit me like slap me in the face. I was like, oh why why Donald, and just in general adult adultery the way it kind of just plays out. But it's still an amazing movie and you do learn a lot of life lessons. We all have to go through some things sometimes. Am I right, It's true and I feel like this is what it's saying, so we're gonna jump into it. We have a group of friends for friends who are going through some hard times in their quests for love, life and happiness. We have Bernardine Harris played by Angela Bassett, Savannah Jackson played by Houston, Gloria Matthews played by Divine, and Robin Stokes played by Rashaan. So we're going to start off with the each character stories because it kind of all unfolds as is and then comes back together. So Bernardine, a master's graduate, stay at home mom and wife, is confronted by her husband at the time with the fact that not only has he been having an affair with his white bookkeeper slash secretary cameo here with Kelly Preston out of Nowhere again, but that he is leaving her and the kids for this woman. After some heated words in exchange and he leaves, she starts to kind of reclaim herself and even her anger. She takes some of her husband's things, placing them in his fancy car and sets that on fire. Love to see it. Sometime after the firefighter comes through, like you know what's happening, She's like, you know what that is trash essentially, so she's like, yeah, you can only burn trash. That's it right there. Soon after, we see her selling off all of her husband's other items, including a car for one ninety nine. I was like, yeah, if only And again she finds out soon after that her husband is trying to leave her with the bare minimum, taking out all of their money, and she confronts him at the office at his office where we witness his mistress getting this hell sleapt out of her, you know, things happen, and him trying to talk to her and asking her to settle for three hundred thousand dollars and everything will be fine, she can have the house. After refusing to do so, she does all the things that she needs to in order to heal, hang with her girls, find no rebound though it really wasn't that great as he was married, and then kind of stalks her. She gets drunk, almost called the mistress on a drink and call. She cares for her kids, and of course she cuts her hair, which looks amazing on her. And soon she meets another man in her Wesley Snipes, which I was like, what where did he come from? Again? I'm still expecting Tay Diggs. Still, I really thought he was gonna come. I thought that was going to be him whose white wife is dying of breast cancer. But then they come together and commiserate. They imply they don't have sex, but connected emotionally together, and as her divorce finally comes to an end, she is awarded one million dollars, two houses, some cars, and some other things, and she's able to leave John, her ex, with a farewell and justice. Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah when I was like they were giving out all the things she was going to get, like jail.
Speaker 2: I also love that Whitney's in the background. Savannahs like yeah, yeah, like the two of them celebrating and they leave love to see it.
Speaker 1: Yes, So speaking of then we have Savannah. Savannah is a successful television producer who is just looking for some love and companionship. So she goes on some failed dates with dudes who eventually she gets tired of, and then she gets a call from her mother who lets her know that the love of her life is trying to find her. Unfortunately, that love is still married with a child, but with a promise that he wants to leave his wife and come back to her, you know, her true love. She starts up the romance again, but soon she sees that he's just making up these empty promises and no longer wants to be with an all like him. And in the relationship, her mother is upset and afraid that she will end up all alone. We've all heard it before, but Savannah reassures her that she is just fine and will continue to be direct.
Speaker 2: Robin, who we have, is a successful, high powered executive who is seeking to have it all, the career, the family, the house. After some failed relationships of her own, she starts to go back with her married ex, who had originally left her to marry another woman got who he got pregnant. Soon she realizes he is not the man she thought she wanted breaks up with him after finding that that she was pregnant again. I think that she had had a pregnancy with him and she had had an abortion because she did. He didn't want it. But she decides she's gonna keep this baby and wants to raise this child on our own and forget him.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: And then we have Gloria our Glow, who is a successful salon owner raising her own son Tooriqu who was played by Donald Fez. There was a lot of times I was like, Wow, you're in this book, in this alone focusing a lot on just raising her son and providing for him has made her really anxious about him leaving the nest, which is sort of in the process. Thinking that maybe her and her ex could come back together. After having a one night stand, she tries to convince him to stay the night, which he then reveals that he is gay. This is John Carlow Yes, So soon she meets her new neighbor, who is a widower, and they hit it off. He gets along with her son as well, and everything looks good until she tries to tell her son not to go abroad for a trip to Spain. Soon she realizes she is being clinging to her son and apologizes to him and the neighbor for getting upset and realized that she is in love with her neighbor and he is in love with her too.
Speaker 2: So the movie ends as it began on New Year's Eve, and this time, as at the first New Year's everything was falling apart for them. This time they've all come together, just the ladies celebrating around a bonfire, enjoying the night in each other's company, laughing and excited about what the future holds. Me Also, there was supposed to be a sequel, which was written by Terry McMillan. Getting Getting to the Happy I believe was the title. But soon after Whitney Houston did pass away, so all the casts pretty much said they would not They did not want to go on without her. The author even said that they wouldn't know what to do without her character and they didn't want to replace her. So I think it's just been kind of sitting in the water keep. It may be one of those things where it keeps coming back up, maybe a revamping or something, because in twenty twenty three there was another article saying that there was going to be a sequel, but I'm not sure. With guest appearances with the original, we've seen that happen many times, so who knows. Who knows what that looks like because to me, most of those women look exactly the same. So if you look at Angela Basker like what, she looks exactly the same. But yeah, so because of that, I'm not really sure if there's going to be a sequel. If y'all know anything different, let us know, because this is a classic. It was It did hit number one in the box office when it was first released. Made over eighty million dollars I think in the first week of it, which is big for nineteen ninety five in a movie like this. They won different awards as well as been nominated through different awards, And obviously it's a classic, and I think it's it's a pretty good, feel good movie when you go through, when you wade through all the mess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's got some shocking moments.
Speaker 2: There was a lot of shocking moments, of course, and they seem to be repeating each other's mistakes. Yeah, and then but they would be ashamed of some things and they come back and talk about it. But the dynamic was beautiful. So yeah, let's get on to the themes. Obviously, I think the number one theme outside of finding love is friendship, which these four have an amazing friendship. The immediately when they found out that Bernie was getting a divorce or that her husband had left her, they call in to check on her and try to find her and try to get to her. Savannah Whitney Houston's character shows up and they have drinks together and they talk about what's going on and like how to move on. We see the big birthday celebration for Gloria that kind of turns into a mess, but then comes back.
Speaker 1: It did really turn into a mess. And you know the thing is, we can all relate even though you could be embarrassed about it. If I've been that friend too, where you had a celebration that's not about you, but you're going through something.
Speaker 2: It comes and it comes, and they all sit there talking about what they don't want to men and they're having that conversation. I think we've all had similar conversations when you realize you've gone through a pile of men or a pile of relationships that just wasn't going to work, but you really thought maybe, and then the hindsight kicks in. Yeah, Yeah, I do love that they all find each other and realize how strong they are together collectively and then separately as well. And they're all on different paths. Obviously, you have the salon owner. You have the housewife who's going to come out with her own business, who she's been discouraged all her life not to do the catering, but now she's about to, you know, throw it in and get into it. And then you have the high power executive, and then you have the producer doing her own thing, which is lovely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think that one of the things I really liked about their dynamic was it they're they're the type of friends that will like have your back.
Speaker 3: But we'll call you out.
Speaker 1: They'll be like, wait, I love to see where Angela Bassi's character comes in. She's like, I want a hair cut, glorious. Like, no, we're not doing it. She's like, no, I want this hair cuts.
Speaker 3: Like fine, she.
Speaker 1: Just starts cutting her hair really halpaardly, and then.
Speaker 2: It turns because they were like, I don't like it.
Speaker 3: But it was such a great seed of like I think you're being idiot.
Speaker 2: Fine, then we'll do it, because uh yeah, Barney is like I'll do it myself, and you're like, oh, I was gonna go real bad. That's gonna go real bad. Don't let her do it. Don't give her banks, don't give her her banks.
Speaker 3: But she looks me.
Speaker 2: Think it's pretty usual. I think she kept that signature hairstuff for the longest time because they liked good on her. Obviously, the friendships go underneath us. But when I say relationships, were going to say like partnerships or whatever, So we're relationships or love interests. That was definitely the theme. We had the good, the bad, the h and the renewal, I will say, but obviously there wasn't much good up until till the end. I think because the good relationship was Gloria and the Neighbor played by Gregory Hines, and I kept saying Gregory Hines. My partner was like, what, like if you don't know who Gregory Hines is and you just don't know the nineties the eighties has tap dancing. He was glorious, but like it really was. All those relationships were so kind of like, oh because none of them or anything that all of them were either married or unemployed or apparently drug dealer as one was. So it's kind of like, okay, pick and choose your fighters everyone, And even with like the Wesley Snipe thing, I'm still kind of like, this is not a good situation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was like I don't know if this would be like emotional cheating. No, I'm not sure it.
Speaker 2: Is emotional cheating, and like I understand mourning your your partner, but we also know most men are the one to leave women and their sicknesses.
Speaker 1: So like, what the yeah, yeah, I feel like every time we watch one of these like quote romantic movies or there's a lot of I guess relationships going on. Not necessarily romantic movies, but there's a lot of relationships in them. I leave thinking men are trash.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean, that does seem like the theme here. Wow, most men are trash liars, all the all them liars, apparently unless they've been widowed.
Speaker 3: Unless they've been widowed. Also like.
Speaker 2: They're chunky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a strange. I couldn't figure out what's going on in that plot line for a minute. Wait a minute, okay, I.
Speaker 2: Mean I thought they would Ultimately, I thought he was going to come back and it was going to be redeemed because he was like, you know you, maybe I'm not your ideal, but I can give you everything you want. I was like, oh, that's really sweet. Also, I can't tell if they're lying, Like I just waited for the shoe to drop, because I swore Wesley Snipe was lying.
Speaker 3: Right, like it was a big grift something right.
Speaker 2: The entire time of course, I think that like even though it's kind of like what is happening, that still kind of was like hope of renewal for Bernie's character to see that there are men out there who do want a treasure the people they love, because she was jealous of the fact that he loved his wife as much as he did, even though his actions did not necessarily prove it to me at that point. But again I digress. But the fact that that that you can have that and you can see that was a thing I think for a Gloria's character. She didn't think she could be loved and said that she was too fat and all these things and just really didn't think she deserved it. And and Gregory Hines's character was like, no, no, no, here you are. I love you, you know, immediately, and they grew together. Not only that, but he was a father figure. When Tarik's father walked away, I guess that was conflicting plot line two of like he abandoned his son absolutely, but he came back around, and when they found out he was gay, they kind of just dismissed him. I couldn't quite figure that part out. I wasn't sure. It was an interesting sideline, I think, But those two so.
Speaker 1: Bad because when I immediately saw him, I was like, oh no, they're kinda stays gay that.
Speaker 3: He was, and I felt horrible about the earring.
Speaker 2: In the nineties, that was their key way of like letting you know, oh, this person is probably gonna be gay. His character is going to be gay because he's got that that that is it in the left ring or left ear ring or something that was going around as a rumor when I was growing up, and I'm like, what what is happening? But yeah, essentially that was so yeah, that was that pot nineteen ninety five, y'all, nineteen ninety five. We have to all remember this because the acting was not great. I think the only person that I was like, yes, getting it was of course Angela Bassett and her her fierce anger you know when Heston did a great job too. But like when you come and see the shining of the all of them. But like, the nineties had a different level of acting skill that we saw, and I say, this is I don't act well, listen to our ads, but you can see the differences. But yeah, I think that all the relationships really did have a ton of like trying to grow, oh and trying to become better. I think Whitney Houston's character really does. They don't highlight it enough that she figures out she's okay, and she says, I'm an assult because I've been with you and excusing these things, and I don't want to be anymore. And that's like that big ending is like yes, yes, here we go. That's the realization.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because again, like this is not unique to this movie or not even to the nineties, but there was so much like you've got to find a man. There is even one line I wanted to write down where it's like wow, or it was like a woman.
Speaker 3: Without a man, what are you even doing with your life?
Speaker 1: And she has this like producer job that she's really good at and she's she loves and she's just got this guy that she keeps waiting, like waiting like he's gonna change, He's gonna change. And she finally has that mom of like he's not gonna change, and because I've been going along with it, I don't feel good about that. And she has a great like public breakup scene yes nope, no more, and it was very it was very vindicating, and her mom had been pressuring her so much like You've got to get a man. This one I like, right, she was like nope. And then they even have like this moment where they have a big fight and then immediately call each other back apologized, which I liked.
Speaker 2: I was like, okay, I also liked it was the rotary or just the connected landlines, so you didn't know. She didn't know if it was her for short, and I didn't either me either.
Speaker 3: I was like, this could be anything, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: Also, what kind of dude mary dude calls the mother of the mistress to talk her into staying with him? What that was a weird sideline too. I was like, what has happened? Why? Why is she why?
Speaker 1: I also like how open they were and that one thing about like bad sex, yes, like wow, okay, yes, you know that's.
Speaker 2: I think that's to me the beginning of like the era of women like, yeah, let's do better than this, let's talk about this, let's do let's do better than this. This is not it, this is not it. And then with the I think, of course, with the beginning of everything falling apart and trying to find themselves, we see the starting over.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Of course Bessett's character obviously going through all the emotions that she has, the pain, the anger, the hurt, the dismissal, essentially the abandonment because she'd been there for him for years, helped build up this business. She was watching the Innerversary video. She made the business for him, quit her job to help him, and he did all these things, which women, if you're in these relationships, watch this movie because she talks about how women get scrolled over because they don't have any property to their names. Nothing was under her name, so he got claims to everything. He could have gotten claims had she not fought. But she's like the epitome is starting over and finding herself and finding what makes her happy and what she wanted to do and remembering what she wanted to do before her life was about her husband.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And I do appreciate her her stories. I felt was very honest in terms of, like, you know, she starts from that really understandably angry place, sets the things on fire, calls her friends, gets a hair cut, it has the messy like drunk thing at her friend's party, her kids, you know, are being weird around her ex husband. But like her, and I do think like at first, I was like, oh, because it felt very like she's blaming the woman, which you know, there's some amount of blame, but then I think she kind of like became more you know what, I don't need that if I get what I need, then you be you do you I'm outside of it. So I liked that it kind of showed all of those kind of messy parts, right of such a painful experience.
Speaker 2: Right. And then also for Gloria starting over with her child leaving, you know, the one thing that she's been focused on for so long, leaving the home and being successful, and she's been worried about him. She caught him with a girlfriend. Uh awkward, and then you know, starting over a relationship where she learns to be loved again, Like it was a beautiful beginning for her as well, like starting all of that, and and the fact that he her child doesn't need to write at the airport, so she just feels so like Stockley alone and so she goes and then realizing she's not alone, which if you were to be fine, then we have yes, uh Robin who her full concentration thinking that life could only start with a man, but it's not. And she gets she's going to start this with a child, and she's happily going forward with this and knowing that she is successful, but she can do this as well. And then we got a Savannah who realizes she can focus on her career and doesn't need the baggage of a married dude. And she calmly tips the drink over. Loved that moment, She's like, drinks her on, you smack.
Speaker 3: A great ending line.
Speaker 2: Great she walks, And Yeah, of course, with all this resilience that no matter the difficulty you go through, the bad men that you have to deal with, the stressful mama, the stressful job of bad divorce, being cheated on, heatedly, being promised empty promises that you can survive it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you've got your friends that are there. Ye, next New Year's they'll be there again. Of course, I'm trying to leave on a happy note.
Speaker 3: You're like.
Speaker 2: When you mase the show or a movie or a book on reality, you start thinking, but what could really happen? What happens later down this road? What happens when Robin does have a child and like she needs it. I'm sure all of her friends are going to be there. But then like you have Gloria and her new relationship, so she's got to foster that. And then you got Savannah who's got this now pretty probably hectic career being a producer and having to like produce new content all the time or better content all the time. And then you have uh Bernie Bernie or Bernice who is trying to start a business and be that girl with her two children. Yeah, and then also maybe the love of your life be maybe a widower now and coming to see you all Whistley Snipes, who knows.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's a lot, but I think good friends, you know, even if you don't see each other that often, that's true, you'll still make time.
Speaker 2: Just as Savannah slash Whitney showed up for Bernie from the beginning. I think they would all show up. It's true. I think they would all show up, or Pete Whitney Houston. But yeah, so I think it was a really good film. It was very uh again still wait no day digs.
Speaker 3: To show up.
Speaker 2: I was still confused.
Speaker 3: I watched too.
Speaker 2: I actually did it while I was I was like, I'm gonna watch this in my bad here we go, Happy Valentine, stay to me. But yeah, like watching that which is available y'all on streaming on Hulu if you're wondering. Uh not a current sponsor have been a sponsor be for but not currently and it is still streaming there if you want to take a moment to watch it. Think it's a good two our movie. This is when the movies were long longer. But it doesn't feel that way to me. Maybe maybe it's me watching all the old technology. Annie, did you enjoy those moments?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: I did? You know? I did.
Speaker 1: I was all the fonts I was documenting, because this kind of laid out like journal entries, probably like Robin and like a colored fonts, and then there's like narration coming in. It reminded me kind of like early sex in the City with the Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it would have been the beginning of it, to be.
Speaker 1: Honest exactly, But yes, I I was eating it up. I was like, look at that old technology.
Speaker 2: The voicemails, the answering machine, the answering machine. I was thinking about you. I was like, oh, I won't know what things on this.
Speaker 1: Yes, that answering machine used to be a big part of that used to be a thing. Oh my gosh, it was stressful. See if you couldn't take it back if you messed it up.
Speaker 2: But also like answer machines, like everyone can hear you so being not an only child and know when you played it and you're like looking around and they're like, oh stop it.
Speaker 3: Mmmm stress.
Speaker 2: I thought about that because you know now that it went to voicemail where they did it online there was service which was like magic.
Speaker 3: M mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Think that my mom now has now has it back on her landline like you play it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my mom does. I hate it.
Speaker 1: When I'm home she doesn't answer the phone because she's like the nicest person ever and doesn't want to like take attention away from me being home. But I'll hear people leaving messages on her answering machine and it freaks me.
Speaker 3: Out a little.
Speaker 2: Technology. But I think we do need to come back and do watch how Stella got her groove back. Now that I'm like where, I'd love to Where's Tayley?
Speaker 1: I could finally put a movie to the poster that I for some reason remember so well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which was in nineteen ninety eight. It looks like it was at night. Oh Whoopie Goldberg, isn't it too? This may be also a Who's who coming into this? This is also a Terry McMillan book, I believe. And then she I'm sure she helped with the screenplay, so we need to come back to that. That's a nineteen ninety eight release. But yes, I know the post you're talking about because I'm looking at it right now. There's Tay though I found Tay.
Speaker 1: I must remember it so well because that was like right around when Star Wars came out episode one, so I must have been in the theater a lot.
Speaker 2: Oh, I see, and you saw the poster or a preview or something. Okay, I was like, what I can Well, it looks like it's also on Hulu, so maybe we will have to come back round. And because this is going to be apparently an Angela Bassett appreciation film ooh pscography type of thing, I think we might need to because yeah, I absolutely adore Women's Center movies. Anyway, we know we need to yeah, be watching more of those. So if any of y'all have any thoughts on that, please get back to us.
Speaker 1: Please, yes, let us know any suggestions, any thoughts, email those to us at stuffandia mom Stuff at iHeartMedia dot com. You can find us on Twitter at most stuff podcast, or on Instagram and TikTok and stuff. I never told you we have a tea public store, and we have a book you can get wherever you get your books. Thanks as always to our super producer Christina or executive producer Maya and our contributor Joey. Thank you, Thanks to you for listening stuff Never told You. Instrection by Heart Radio. For more podcast from my Heart Radio, you can check out the heart Radio app, Apple Podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.