Speaker 1: Welcome to Money Making Conversations.
Speaker 2: It's the show that she has the secrets of success experience firsthand by marketing and Brandon expert Rashan McDonald. I will know he's giving me advice on many occasions. And in case you didn't notice, I'm not broke. You know he'll be interviewing celebrity CEOs, entrepreneurs and industry decision make because it's what he likes to do, it's what he likes to share. Now it's time to hear from my man, Rashan McDonald money Making Conversations.
Speaker 1: Here we go.
Speaker 3: First of all, thank y'all for listening to my show. Thank you guys for supporting the show. Following the show on Moneymakingconversation dot com. That's the website you can go to if you trying to find any of their past episodes or any of the episodes that you want to share with other people. I really appreciate it. I can't get here without you, guys, acknowledging and calling in and requesting certain guests that I reach out to and bring on the show so we can continue this road to success. The road success is about time to information. Information that I want to give to everybody. And that's what money Making Conversation master Class. It used to be called just money Making Conversation. Then when I realized what I was doing and I was mentoring people and providing information, I added masterclass to it. So let's get this roll in with my first instructor of the of this hour. My guess is a passion It's very passionate about bringing people together. Kimberly's dedication to fostering community led her to create the HBCU Social mobile app. Please welcome to Money Making Conversation master Class, Kimberler Kissinger. How are you doing, Kimberly?
Speaker 4: I am great, I am fantastic. How are you pretty good?
Speaker 1: HBCU we talk about HBU.
Speaker 3: Giv me your HBCU background so we can get all this all this out with hbc you one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go on.
Speaker 4: I am the proud graduate of the illustrious Clark and Lanta University Class of nineteen ninety five Bachelors of Mass Media Arts, Radio, TV Films. So that is my HBCU history.
Speaker 3: Well, why did you go to an hbc what did you have other options? And you just said this the school.
Speaker 4: I wanted to attend YEP, great question. So throughout my entire elementary school, middle school, and high school, I went to predominantly white colleges and high school and school, and so I wanted to go to a college where everybody looked like me. So I can't completely give that complete credit. I also have to give credit to school days as well as different world. And then my sister she went to Hampton University, so I was able to go visit her at Hampton. So from there I was like, oh, I have to go to the hbc.
Speaker 3: Well know when we're talking about social but before we get there, when you think about HBCUs, of course, you always think about halftime, the bands, the marching bands, and we think about sports, especially football and right and then, but we tend to forget about the academics. I think when you're talking about what is an HBCU, we go to the marching bands, to the halftime show. Some type of people call it the fifth quarter of a football game. It's called a halftime show. I remember when ESPN when they started airing the HBCU games on ESPN platform, they weren't showing the halftime. They would go to halftime highlights and it was such a complaint that they now have to show the halftime on another channel because there's so many complaints for not seeing the halftime show at HBCU games, And that's how powerful these halftime show performances are with these marching bands. Do you feel we do enough job promoting the academics of HBCUs.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 4: I think there's always room for improvement. I think yeah. I mean that's part of the mystique of going to an HBC school. It's the homecoming games, the halftime shows, and that's always the entertainment portion of it all. But I think yes, I think we can do a better job of letting the world know that we're not just a party school. It's not party time. We're also about our books. We have to remember that HBCUs have the historically played a crucial role in providing access to higher education for African American students. I mean, particularly during the time when you have segregation and discrimination barred us from attending the predominant white institution. So today attending the HBC is very vital and crucial to our students because they're on these underrepresented backgrounds to pursue higher education. I mean, you have some great programs and social work, STEM programs, you know, even in entertainment, mathematics, history, math, media, arts to radio, TV, film, and so there's a lot of great opportunities at HBC schools. And then in some of these institutions you have graduate programs, and so we can't we can't forget about that. So I think, yeah, I think we could do a better job of making sure that we talk about those areas as well.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 3: Kivira Leman heavy out with numbers, some facts. Okay, you know, the black teachers come from Hbcusvent Dennis and medical doctors come from HBCUs who are black. Forty percent of the members of Congress who are black come from HBCUs. The STEM graduates who are black come from HBCUs. These are numbers that you know, the legal profession, same thing, dominant amount of blacks who in that area come from HBCUs. And so but if you don't tell that story, then the predominant white institution, I guess, can take credit because nobody knows right.
Speaker 4: Exactly exactly, You're absolutely right, and those numbers like, yeah, that's that's great data, but who else knows about that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the reason I bringing that up because recently the richest man in the world, Elon Musk, you know, was talking about co signing a claim that black students who attend HBCUs have low IQs, and I was all started about that. Not United Airlines started this pilot program and they had chose three HBCUs and they start looking at SAT scores and they started people tend.
Speaker 1: To tie hbc used to IQ's.
Speaker 3: It's just a test because I my SAT score was so bad it was ridiculous. I only got into college because I had good academic training. I won't even reveal that score on this radio show. That's how bad it was. Okay, so please don't tell me that you know sad scores mean you're really smart and that I'm living proof the smartness drifted past that test score when it came to ra Sean mcnonal. Okay, now, But but people use these test scores and use this propaganda, especial in social media, to bar opportunities of people who may be considering hbc US.
Speaker 1: That's all.
Speaker 3: I'm just talking about fighting that negative, that the mantra that can be out there that's being politicized, and that's really the backbone of what you're doing with this app?
Speaker 1: Correct?
Speaker 4: Yes, exactly correct?
Speaker 1: Background and inspiration why.
Speaker 4: So it really all came from having a conversation. That's why you don't underestimate the power for conversation, right, and ouration with a college one of my best friends from college and her daughter was attending an hbc school and she was complaining about the lack of dating options at her school. And you know, she and I were talking. We're like, you know, what wouldn't it be? I was like, wouldn't it be amazing if we had like some type of an app where students can connect with other students at other university HBCU colleges and universities, not just for dating purposes, but also for networking, for sharing their work if they're working on a project, but not just for students, but also for alums. And there's nothing out there like that. But more important, we also hear that from some of these corporations, Oh, we can't seem to find a talent or we don't know where to look for them. You know. So now it's like, okay, this could also be a conduit for job listings, internships, and events, so we can tackle behole HBCU community so that's where the idea came from, is that you know, there isn't out anything out there like that. Yeah, how we have Facebook, Yeah we have Instagram, we have Twitter. So essentially those could be my competitors. But at the same time, it's not really tailored to just the HBCU community. This is for us by us stealing Fulu's line. But that's basically what it is now, Kener, this.
Speaker 3: Is money making conversations that you called inn on. Okay, Now, HBCUs that's a community. Then you have predominant white institutions. Now it seems to me in a money making conversation that it can be expansive if you decided to just go universal. So why did you strictly focus on the HBCU conversation. I'm talking from a money making conversation.
Speaker 4: Money making standpoint. Listen, I hear you. I think that. Yeah, I when I pitched this idea to certain investors and different people, it was brought to my tension, even from a black person, right right, right, great idea. I think it can make a lot of money, but I feel like you can make more money if you expand it to the white community. And my question was which is why I tell people, you know, don't give up on your passion and your dream and what you know within your heart to do. And yeah, I could have done that, but I'm not just in this for the money. But just like I can make money opening up to predominant whites, I can also make money within our own community. We keep forgetting we can tap into our own community. But again, what is your motivation. My motivation was not necessarily to just make money. My motivation was to bring the community together to give opportunity for networking experiences across all the ABCU schools as well as all the different alum as well as corporations. Now won't have excuses they can't tap into our network because now there's going to be a conduit for them to tap into. And yeah, if I can make some money off of that, at the same time, of course I want to do that, but that's not my sole motivation. So no, I don't want to open up to them because they already have it. Facebook, Instagram, all of those were made by white men. This is something that was designed by an African American woman who attended an AHBCU school, and this is for us by us, as I said earlier.
Speaker 3: Cool, I'm talking to Kimberly Kissinger. She's built out and HBCU's social mobile app. Let me ask you this. So this is technology. You know, apps are huge. I noticed that my podcast, ninety five percent of the people use them cell phone. Nobody goes to the desktop to listen to my podcast. That's generally that's why such a younger group of people use the mobile apps, because everybody's really living their lives through their cell phones. So are you talking in the parents? Are you trying to reach the parents? Are usually trying to reach the young people. What's your audience?
Speaker 4: So the audience is the entire ahpC community. So that's the lums, that's that's undergrads, that's Divine nine members, that's ABCU supporters like yourself. It's basically our entire community. When you get down into internships or events or jobs listings and things of that nature, they may be specific to like internships are for the undergrads. You want to go ahead, and there could be different types of events that are gonna be tailored to the collegiate community. So anything that affects us, that's what's gonna be in the app. So it's for everyone. We didn't just want to just make it to the for the young folks. Because here's the thing now again, we also this is money making conversation. So of course I designed the app, so total motivation was not money, but I do want to make some money off of it. Young people they're gonna pay, but maybe they won't. But we know that older people are gonna have no problem paying. Right. Usually young folks may have the ass commission, Hey can I pay a dollar? So you know, I'm not saying they won't do it because they pay for everything else. But you got to open it up a little bit wider within that, within that field of people so that you can make money, so that you continue building out the app and making it better.
Speaker 3: Really, it's really about can we break down because when you sit around thinking about the things that you're trying to do with the app, because, like you said, originally thought the dating side, no parents gonna pay for a dating app for their Well, now you know the academic opportunities, the job opportunities, then turn opportunities, internship opportunities. Parents will look at that because that's all we're trying to do, you know, all I try to do for my daughter was giving her a leg up. And I feel when you when the whole creation of this is that there are bills to be paid. Let's got nobody can just dumb an app. Okay, you can say what you want. You know, they say social media is free, you know, but then they still want you to boost ads and boost posts, you know, to you know, to further your reach within our world, you know. So they are They're always gimmicks, and I shouldn't call them gimmicks. Is marketing strategy. You can either come online here and I'm gonna let you sign up for free, but if you really want to reach people, go cost five dollars, maybe fifty dollars and one hundred dollars if depends on how many people you're trying to reach.
Speaker 1: So everybody has a strategy.
Speaker 3: Your strategy up front is that it allows you to come on and and and meet these these relationships, whether there are job opportunities or to internship opportunities. How did you how did you find the internship or the job opportunity that you are making available on your app?
Speaker 4: Yeah, good question. So right now, everyone, it's a one woman show over here at HBC Social.
Speaker 1: You need Miam. You need myam Kimber, I am you.
Speaker 4: I care And so the app just got dropped in October. Okay, this is the labor of love for two years. And as you mentioned earlier, you know after expensive and basically I put in a lot of my sweat and tears and my own money equity equity, and also had the benefit and just the blessing of having someone who really believed in me and gave me a lot of the money to actually fund the app, might you know, get the app done myself because I'm not a techie, so I had to hire app development company to help build. I came up with the concept and the idea, but I don't know how to code and so, and I wanted the app done to be the right way. So going back to your question about where do I find the job listens and internships and events. One, I'm very well connected with different people in various industries. I also get I have friends who helped me out send me information from LinkedIn. I'm very active on social media, so some of the different sites I see on Instagram and Facebook, you know that I go get it. I'm also connected with other partnerships with other organizations and I pull from there or whatever. So I just try to find it wherever I can until I'm in a position where I can get some additional help. And so that's that's what I do. I try to make sure I'm in tuned to what is going on, the pulse of what's going on and what internships are out there.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 3: When we come back, we're going to listen to how we can help out Kimberly because she's raising our head on Monday and Conversation master Class. It's about the community and also people outside of HBC community community can also help build out this app. You know, basically an HBCU indeed basically what she's trying to offer from an employment standpoint, be right back for more Money Making Conversation master Class.
Speaker 5: We'll be right back with more Money Making Conversations Masterclass with rough Shan McDonald.
Speaker 1: Kimberly.
Speaker 3: As we just letting everybody know the app really connects students, alumni, faculty, Divine nine members, which I'm I'm a member of Megasi five fraternity, so you connected me and supporters do a purpose, purposeful and engaging mobile app. When you say engaging, what does that mean when you said, I got purpose full, But what does engaging mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So engaging is you have to keep it relevant and interesting for people who want to stay in the app, to share the apps who want to use it, and right now, you have to do it in phases, right because as we said earlier, you know it costs money to build it on an app. So the first phase was to get people in there to create their profile. They create their profile, they can choose how what kind of connection they want to have, if they want to friendship, social networking, they want to professional engagement, they can put that there as well. You put where you live. You know, there's even a place for you to say if you're just an HPC supporter, HBC supporter. So everybody can put in what they're looking for and what basically describes them. And in addition to that, you have a chat feature, so you can chat with the people that you make connections with. Even with the chat feature, you can filter, Like let's say you have fifty friends and you're like, no, what, I just want to know who all is going to be in Indianapolis this weekend? Who's from Indianapolis? So I'll filter everybody that's from Indianapolis. You can filter people that you know and then so right now, that's the most engaging part. People can engage with each other. And then through having the different events and job listings and job postings, you know, that's keeping it fresh for them. So I try to make sure it's fresh. We are going to be adding two different phases to that. So the next phase is going to be very similar to what you can do on Facebook. You're gonna be able to say, you know, basically, what is how's your day or what are you thinking. You're gonna be able to actually post something. You're gonna be able to if you want to post your own events or what's happening, so it's not just me or my future staff. You can post an event or something that you have going on as well, and I'll prove it. You can post it inside the app, you can add video and all of that. Additionally, we're gonna be adding forms, so there might be some some forms that are questions on our mind, like hey, what did you guys think of the Super Bowl? Do you like Usher's performance? You know, you can actually add forms, So we're gonna make it to the point where it is very I would say, similar to Facebook in terms of being able to interact a lot more. But right now it's just the first stage of getting a profile created. You're gonna be able to look at all the different people that are in there. You can request to be friends and connect with them, you can filter, and you can chat with them. And so that's how we got it. We got to keep it first. That's why I'm continuously trying to add different functionality quicker quickly so that it can be exactly where I wanted to be.
Speaker 3: Wow, I guess I got a quick text, you know, or someone asked me, what is Divine nine. I'm a member of megasci Fhi fraternity, and so are you a remember ariority Kimberly.
Speaker 4: Uh No, but my parents are okay cool.
Speaker 3: Delta Sigma, Theta Alpha, Kappa Alpha, Omega Sci Fi CAPA Alpha, PSI, Alphai Alpha. Those are organizations black organizations that are a member of the Divine Divine nine. So I wanted to make sure. Sometimes we get to talking and just looped into our own conversation, and a lot of people enjoying the show don't know what we're talking about. So I wanted to take time to really you know, put the word out about you know, it's an organization. Omega sci Fi changed my life, you know, because of the fact it put me in a position. It gave me a group of young men that had the same similar thought and focused me. And I was wandering around in college and I four and a half years I didn't. I graduated in seventy years. So four and a half years I was wandering around. I pledged in two and a half years. I graduated because I got focused. So I look at these things that you're bringing people in that can help people become focused and help people see the light in this case socially, academically and professionally. That's important. But what I noted the most is this is a pretty complicated app that you are developing. How did you start with the idea? And a lot of people had to tell you, girl, you've lost your mind.
Speaker 4: Oh man, listen. A lot of people were like, well, first I thought I lost my mind. I was like, first of all, how much is it going to cost? I don't have fifty thousand dollars to start a to have Where am I get that from? But it was for me. I am very spiritual and I have a very great relationship with God, and God gave me that idea and he was like, girl, you have been wanting to I'm very entrepreneurial spirit. I've had a podcast, a video podcast, I have my own show, I've written two books. Like so, I'm always trying to up with something and so I wanted to come up with something that really tackled an issue that can make money in my sleep. And so when this idea came about through the conversation, I was like, forget it. I can't do this, and God was like, what are you talking about, Yes you can, And so immediately I did benchmarking. I did research. So I looked at Facebook, I looked at dating apps because I kind of wanted that swipe feature, but not really a swhite feature. We had like a skipped feature, a slight feature. So I looked at the different apps that were very similar to what I wanted to do and kind of said, okay, if LinkedIn Facebook, Instagram, Twitter all came together, what would it look like? And so that's what I came up with. So I came up with a pitch to the app development team and they really loved it. One of the reasons why they loved the idea because they said, it's not just like a dating app, it's more to it than that. And so from there, I just kept kept coming up with ideas and how I wanted it to be designed, and they made it happen. And yeah, it took it took some money, but I'm very glad that I took the risk. And the other thing is, you know, this is money making conversations. You got to give yourself time and give yourself grace. It's not going to happen overnight. The other thing is the adoption rate might be slow at first because people aren't sure, like I don't know. And when it first launched, Oh, we had some glitches, which is technology, right, and you have to work through the glitches. I mean, because I didn't have a support team, I have to handle like, hey, well let me call you, let me show you how to work this. Okay, you know, I'm handling all of that. But at the end of the day, we got all the glitches done and so now we're on the next level and we just want to keep making it better because again there's somebody else out there that's probably on my tail, like, okay, I can do it, and I can do it even better, and that's time because there's enough out there for everyone. You have McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger Kam, they all got hamburgers, but everybody's different, so there's enough out there. So that's why you have to stay on top of things, and you have to be fresh, and you have to ask them, Okay, what else do you want to see in this app? And that's why I asked those questions, and that's why I'm making some additional functionality improvements.
Speaker 1: Cool, you know?
Speaker 3: Okay, Now you have Android that's the number one platform out there, and then you have an Apple or is the Apple available on those platforms?
Speaker 4: Yes? It is.
Speaker 3: Now what did it get? Did you put it on Apple first or Android first? Or you launched them simultaneously?
Speaker 4: They did it simultaneously.
Speaker 1: Awesome?
Speaker 3: Now now, and the whole process of that, what was the one glitch that really made you mad that you said, why does this keep messing up? That you eventually got fixed, of course, but you didn't see it happening because when you lay out these great plans, you know, you think they're just going to happen correctly, but you overcame. Because I want people to hear these things. Not not be frustrated by the process. Not let a glitch or something that didn't go according to plan to run you down the lane.
Speaker 1: I quit.
Speaker 3: This is not ever going to work because I know you had those moments, you know, and who do you turn to when you have those moments?
Speaker 4: Kimberly, So I would say, there are a couple of glitches that were frustrating. The biggest one was the filtering option, because that was one of the main things with it was filtering. Like I would filter and I wouldn't get back what I filtered. I didn't understand it. And so luckily the app company actually is in Atlanta, So like I would write down all of the different glitches that I would found, I would do research, I would try to figure out, and then I would go into the office and sit down with the actual developers and we would go through step by step and we'd work it out. And so yeah, as there were times where I'm like I paid this amount of money, like this should be working, Like I don't understand, like you've had you know, but you can't get mad because it's technology, and it's new technology and so meaning new technology to the system. So you have to give it time, but you got to stay on it. They there really were, you know, really kind of like impressed with me, because they're like, do you know how mean people like that we've built apps for that don't come in and sit down with us, or either they just let like a whole year go by and they don't make any updates. They don't even think about it. And I'm like, well, that's not gonna be me because I put my blood, sweat and tears in this and money, and so I'm gonna see it through. And so when I would get frustrated, I remember calling my mom like I just don't understand what's happening, you know, and she was like, tell me about different inventors and people that it didn't take. You know, it took more than one time for things to happen. You have to give it time. And really this just helps me tell the story. It's part of my testimony. And so you know, I know that God gave me this, and I know he didn't say, Okay, I'm gonna give you this and it's gonna be smooth sailing. He gave it to me. But everything's worked the way it's supposed to work, but it hasn't always been smooth, but it doesn't mean it's not gonna work. Like right now, I think my first payment because when you go into the app, it's only it's free for thirty days, and then it's a dollar ninety nine every month, and then of course when you get paid, it's like a month behind. So I here, I got my first payment of like ten dollars the other day, and I started laughing, but I also was like, you know what, that's okay because today it's ten dollars. Tomorrow it's gonna be you know, one hundred, and it's gonna be one thousand, it's gonna be ten thousand, and so you just have to laugh at that, but also understand that it's coming right, and if it wasn't supposed to happen, it wouldn't happen.
Speaker 3: Well, I appreciate the honesty because a lot of people don't understand that. You know, people start businesses and they think that I'm opening this doughnut shop and they think there's going to be a line of people out the door, and it's not always the case. I remember when I opened my comedy club. I opened it and it was like fifteen people in the audience.
Speaker 1: And I had to.
Speaker 3: I had to, and I rank commercials on the radio. I put out flyers, drop all the local barbershops, fifteen people on opening night. And then I realized that this is a process, a marketing process. I gotta stay at it, I gotta believe it. And I started creating different plans of action, and I started creating specialty nights.
Speaker 1: I'm just talking about. That's what I had to do. You know.
Speaker 3: I started creating an amateur night on Thursday, which became the most popular night in my comedy club. And so when I let when I allow individuals like you, Kimber to come on my show and honestly talk to people. You know, we all want to be millionaires, we all want to be Elon Musk. But Elon Musk had some rough times getting started too. That electric car didn't just jump off the page. There was States didn't want his electric cars. They want Texas name one of them. See, they're never have an electric car in the state of Texas. Now they got more electric cars than anybody. Because of the fact that times change, and so times changing people people will have to deal with the changes, and so you're dealing with a community now, and we're talking about HPCU community and tapping into the mobility the apps that are popular and people could click of a button.
Speaker 1: You can just tap into the HPCU community. That's awesome.
Speaker 4: Yes, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Cool kimber Las. We to wrap up the call.
Speaker 3: Anyway we can reach you or any other than going to the Android and the Apple formats.
Speaker 1: We're good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can go to I have a website, it's hpcsocial dot Next. You can also follow me on Instagram, the real HBC Social and then you can also follow me on Instagram. I think Kim Kimberly Kiss or Kim kim be Kiss, but really go to the real.
Speaker 3: You're about to confuse me. You're about to confuse me HPCU Social mobile app Kimberly Kissinger. Hey, thank you for coming on Money Making Conversation master Class. I appreciate you.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Where's a financial day? Don't go nowhere?
Speaker 3: We have your best financial life, save smart now for the future you want.
Speaker 1: Her name is Ann Lester. Don't go nowhere.
Speaker 3: She has a lot to say to young people and people like me that we can steal save money and live a great life. And Lester is coming right up.
Speaker 5: Don't go nowhere, We'll be right back with more money making conversations. Master Last with through Shawn McDonald