Speaker 1: Welcome to Money Making Conversations.
Speaker 2: It's the show that she is the secrets of success experience firsthand by Marketing and Brandon expert Rashan McDonald. I will know he's giving me advice on many occasions. And in case you didn't notice, I'm not broke. You know he'll be interviewing celebrity CEOs, entrepreneurs and industry decision make because it's what he likes to do, it's what he likes to share. Now it's time to hear from my man, Rashan McDonald money Making Conversations.
Speaker 3: Here we go.
Speaker 1: Money Making Conversation Master Class is a show that I bring information to you. Is for everyday people and I always tell people, you know, don't let anybody stop you from following your dream. Live your dream, be your dream. Your dream can happen if you want it to happen. That's why I created this show. My next guest is one of the leading people in the financial market. We're going to get into detail about her, but her new book helps younger savers find long term saving success by overcoming their behavioral biases. Please welcome the Money Making Conversation Masterclass and Lester, how are you doing?
Speaker 4: Ann and I'm great. How about you?
Speaker 1: Well? And you know I always tell peop when they come on the show, you know, Toalding all this financial knowledge, I need a little background, need a little history. What makes an so financially smart? Talk to us?
Speaker 4: Oh well, I don't know about smart, but I I guess I managed billions of other people's money for about twenty five years. Did it pretty well according to some folks who gave me some awards for it, morning Star. But the reason I wrote the book Your Best Financial Life is because I made every single mistake you could make. And you know, it took me a while to figure out how to not make all the mistakes I was making. So for me, the book is really kind of combining what I learned after you know, I guess almost thirty your career in asset management with you know, kind of fifteen years of just stupidity and you know, trying to help people not make those same mistakes.
Speaker 1: Right, And the book you're talking about is your Best Financial Life? Say smart? Now? For the future you want, because we're always talking about the future, is there a And I know you have to answer to this, but I just want to hear our public because we always get to a certain point we think we can't save anymore. Is there a lockdown point that people need to just stop talking like that? Because you can save at any age as long as you have a plan. Is that correct?
Speaker 4: I think it is for most people. But you know, I think we have to be honest, like, at some points in your life you just may not you know, you may just be scraping by to make the rent. And you know, I don't want to say that everybody can just dig a little deeper and squeeze a little harder, because there are some folks I'm sure who are listening to this who can't do that. But one of the things I talk about in my book is you may not be able to do it this second, but you certainly can do it in the future. And the way you get there is to make a commitment. You make a promise yourself that the next time your income goes up a little bit, the next time you get a little bit of money, that's what you save, because sometimes you cannot squeeze it out of where you are right now.
Speaker 1: You know, It's really interesting because as you go through as you as you gain financial success, we tend not to you know, like instance, if I if I operated on the lifestyle I had while I was going to college, but then I got a job, then I upgraded the car and upgraded the apartment next to the arm in the house. We keep upgrading, We keep upgrading. And when you talk about ways to hack your brain to make saving easier, is that the hacking part to stop the upgrades? And we tend to invite ourselves to when we get certain levels of financial uplift or how do we is that? Is that what we're talking about when you're hacking the brain?
Speaker 4: That is a big one. Right. Make sure you you know the rule that I give people to save at least half of every raise. And as you say, right, nobody wants to live a life that they were living in college, right or their first job. Right, it's just not very much fun. But if you let yourself take all of your raise and use that on the brand new car, right, you were just talking about Tesla's right, you just want to go buy the fancy Tesla or the fancy whatever, right, And your whole raise goes into that new car payment, you're not getting ahead. And then the next raise you get, you're like, well, I want to remodel the kitchen and there goes that raise again. Right, So what you need to do is get into the habit of not letting yourself use all of that. You know, I call it consumption creep. Right, Your lifestyle just keeps getting better and better and better, and if you don't increase your savings rate at the same time, you're really creating a world of pain for yourself in the future because you will need to have saved more money to maintain that lifestyle when you retire, except that you're not saving anymore.
Speaker 1: Well, you know the interesting thing, Like my daughter you called me the other day. She said, Dad, I want to come sit down with you, because I always talk about you know, honey, if you start saving early and your in twenties, it's going to be a fantastic life in your fifties and sixties. It's something people told me, and I kind of did it, and but I didn't do it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: I saved, and I took some money out. A saved, took some money out, and so I kept beating up the plane. I had the plan, but I kept beating it up, kept pulling that and diverting it. I guess I should use the word diverting it. And now, now when you sit down, when I sit down with my daughter, and what advice should I initially start communicating with her about the future and money.
Speaker 4: So this is the same conversation I had with my son when he graduated from college five years ago, which is, you have to start saving, and if you could only save a teeny tinne little bit, that's fine. And he started working for a startup that didn't offer a four to one K plan and I was like, all right, then you build up your emergency fund first. Make sure you get three to six months of your living expenses saved up in that way, if that startup fold, you know you're not going to be freaking out and moving home if done. But you know he didn't want to. We didn't. You know, nobody would have liked that outcome. But right, but you know, if you start, you know the building blocks, right, So that first building block is an emergency savings fund. And if you can only put in twenty five or fifty bucks a week or a month, like just start right. It builds the habit and then you change the way you look at yourself and you're suddenly a person who is a saver, Right, you're a saver, and you suddenly are like, yeah, I can do this, even if it's not a lot. And then the next time you get that first raise, like he got a raise and I was like, all right, you're saving half of that, and then his emergency savingstone was built up I don't know, not that long because he got kind of a nice raise and so he threw all that news emergency savings fund. And then his company got bought. The company that bought him had a four to one K plan. I'm like, all right, take half of that raise that you just got and start throwing it in your four one K plan. Right, that's how you get going. And if you start in your twenties, you can start really small, like one, two, three percent of your salary, and you know, five years later, suddenly you're saving fifteen or twenty percent of your salary, which is a huge number. But that's really what most people should be targeting out of their paychecks. And you can't do that all at once, like it's just too painful.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool. So the word we keep using this word is savings, and that Yeah, I want to slow that down because we're not talking about the traditional saving account that you hear that has very little interest return. We're talking about investing type savings or that's when we're referencing R one.
Speaker 4: Hundred percent, and I use that as a shorthand. But it's a saving and investing. It's a two step process, right. Number one, You've got to save the money and for something like your emergency savings, you could put it in the traditional bank savings account. Right now, you don't get paid any interest, so that's not great. You should find a high yield savings account for that, but that should be in a place you can access it quickly and that I would not invest that emergency savings at three to six months. I would not invest that in like the stock market. But your retirement money, right, long term savings. If you think you might want to buy a house in ten years, right, if it's if you're saving money for something that's longer than five years away, you should definitely be investing that in a mix of stocks and bonds.
Speaker 1: Now, your book or your best financial life, save smart now for the future you want Now. What I want to also look back on is that you know I'm older, you know and look back on mistakes you can't look back on the spilled milk decisions that you may financially, because that can hurt your decision making in the future. You have to really stay focused on the plan and you put that plan in place. Do you if you're married, do you put the plan in place as as a couple and you present it as an individual presented to your your partner? How does that work?
Speaker 4: I wouldn't do that. I don't think that'll go very well. I think, you know, ideally, this is something you talk about when you're dating. Right, Ideally, you like you have a conversation where you're creating some financial honesty with each other about what debt you might have, right, what kind of lifestyle you like living? You know I talk about in my book, like what kind of spender are you? Like? Are you a saver? Are you a spender? Are you the kind of person? I call them ostriches. It's just like I don't even want to know about it. Don't make me look are you know? Like they're different kinds of behaviors, patterns, personalities, whatever that we all have with money, and that's something that you and your partner should hopefully have a handle on, Like before you tie the knot like before you get married. But I don't think it's ever too late to start having a conversation. The trick is right that money is something that a lot of people feel some shame about, some guilt about. Maybe it's something they never heard, you know, anybody talk about at home without a lot of anger or emotion. So it can get pretty uncomfortable. So, you know, I think it's it's a good idea to try to talk about what you want to talk about and kind of create a roadmap for the conversation and then ideally so to say here's what I think, here's what I feel, here's what's important to me. And you know, if one person thinks it's really really important to always you know, have the newest whatever and make sure you're you know, presenting well, like have new clothes, you know, if that's really important to you, and your partner is like, you know what, I don't actually want to spend my money on that. If we're not doing X or Y, Like that's a negotiation and you've got to figure out how you're going to handle your finances together.
Speaker 1: That's a great Now I'm now I'm going to tap into your mind your financial mind. I'm gonna have ask a series of questions that a lot that I that I want to know about. Here's my first one. Three questions to answer before you tap into your emergency savings that you've been talking about. Three of those what what? What are those questions we should we need to answer?
Speaker 4: So question number one is is is do I have to spend this money? Is it really an emergency? Like, like, is there any way I can avoid dealing with this? Right? And and one of the questions is, you know, is this an unexpected emergency? Is this is this really an emergency?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: Do I have to spend the money? That's the second one? And then do I have to spend the money now? Right? Because there there could be an expense that's not an emergency, Like you can I don't know your phone battery is dying. I talk about this a little bit in the book, Like you need to brand new phone. You can like limp along and like get a little cheap battery pack and like make a last save up a couple months and then buy a new phone. If you drop it down the sewer, like you need a new phone, Like it blows up, you need a new phone right, So so it's kind of like how do you how do you decide what's a real emergency?
Speaker 1: And that kind of happened to me recently, and you know, because it's called that splurging factor because my phone, you know, and I'm just gonna be honest with everybody. I got one of those fold phones, right, and I in the screen cracked, right, and my insurance because they said I dropped it. They said, hey, we're not going to cover that, Okay, so I had to. So this was that emergency talk to you was talking about. So they said, it's going to cost you five hundred and thirty dollars to repair it or two thousand dollars to buy a new phone. That's that decision, Okay, repair new, repair new, And that's the decision that a lot of people come to, going is there guarantee this repair is going to fix the problem. Well, I decided I'm going with the repair saved me roughly fifteen hundred dollars. And that's what you're talking about when you're talking about that emergency savings tapping into is it really an emergency? Is an emergency that you can look at and kind of like look at it on options until you don't tap into it? Is that an example a good example there?
Speaker 4: Maybe? I mean the way another way to think about it is is it unexpected?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Is it unexpected? Right? And you know, is dropping your phone unexpected? Yeah? I guess right, So yeah, is it unexpected? You know? The second question and I'm just going to quote for my book right now, right, am I I don't spend the money?
Speaker 3: M hm?
Speaker 4: You know, maybe like you need a phone, right, like you actually need a phone to function in the world. And then the third question is, am I screwed if I don't spend the money now?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Right? And that's that's like back to that example of the phone with the dying battery, like still works right.
Speaker 1: Well, I tell you my phone with des green was completely going and I'm telling you I couldn't even see numbers no more. It was pretty ugly there. I was pretty ugly that I think.
Speaker 4: I think I counted and then and then you had a decision, right right, And you know, do I how much of this emergency funder like my immediate cash do I want to do I want to spend on this thing? Right? And is it is it going? For the whole brand new phone? Or is it trying to limp along and then maybe knowing all right, I know I'm going to have to replace his phone sooner or later. I better start saving up.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, it's awesome and we're going to go to a break here. I'm talking to and Lester, the author of Your Best Financial Life, Save Smart Now for the future. You want Money Making Conversation Masterclass, We were Shawn McDonald.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back with more money Making Conversations Masterclass with Rushawn McDonald. Welcome back to the Money Making Conversations Masterclass hosted by Rashaan McDonald. Money Making Conversations Masterclass continues online at Moneymakingconversations dot com and follow Money Making Conversations Masterclass on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Speaker 1: Hi, this is Rushan mc You're listening to an interview with Anne Lester. More than thirty years JP Morgan, Asset Management of Retirement Solutions and former Head of Retirement Solutions JP Morgan Assetment Management, Incredible Award winning speaker business person on my shoulder. Data is talk about breaking down money, money that you're spending, money you need to save, and how you deal with that. Recently, you send us a couple of questions, and one of the questions that popped out of my head I really needed you to explain was called subscription detox. Seven ways to take back your finances from online subscriptions. You may not even know you are paying for it. Please explain to me what that is.
Speaker 4: So I talk in my book and you can actually take a quiz about this on my website about spending types. Right, So one of the first ones I talk about, I think the first one in fact, is called the over subscriber. So you might not know that, you may not be, you know, feeling like you're spending a lot of money, you know, wasting it. But you also may not have any idea how many subscriptions you have, right, how many streaming services do you have? How many apps? Did you sign up for something without even knowing it? So I have a whole checklist of things you can think about to start getting your arms around this. So Number one, avoid auto renew, Just avoid it, don't do it. If you can sign up for a service you think you need, if you're allowed to not have it automatically renew, don't do it. That's the easiest one. Another one that I like a lot and I use it myself if you happen to have more than one credit card, and please do not go get a second credit card if you do not already have one. But if you have more than one, when you sign up for a new subscription service, use the credit card that's going to expire sooner, because that way you'll get prompted to update your credit card information. And that's just an automatic break. Right. It's a point where you can ask yourself, do I really need this anymore? How many times did I watch a show like what am I? You know, you may find that you're subscribing to all kinds of stuff like I just went into my theory. If you have an Apple phone, you can go in there and you know, really quickly look at all the things that are that you subscribe to on apps. And sometimes you look at these things and go, I don't even remember signing up for this. I don't use this app. I deleted it from my phone. What you know, what the heck is this bill doing? You can go through your monthly credit card statements and just see what's popping up there and just go, really, like, why am I getting charged this? Think about a subscription in terms of its annual cost when you sign up right. A lot of times they'll say it's only whatever, nine to ninety nine a month at a zero, like multiplying by twelve is a little tricky. If it's nine ninety nine, it's over ninety nine bucks a year, like do you really need to spend that money? It's one hundred and twenty bucks, Like do you really need to spend that money? I think a great one for streaming is rotating your streaming services, so you know, subscribe to one, watch all the shows, cancel it, go on to another one, right anymore, you do not need all of them at the same time. If you really feel like this is the place a lot of your money is going, just try, you know, unsubscribing from one thing a month and see what happens. Like you may not know that you really did it, you may not miss miss having it, and then you know, last but not least, there's some free subscription services out there that can help you get you know, you can link up your credit card statement to it and they'll show you what you're doing and maybe make it more easy for you to cancel those things automatically. It's a way to track your spending and see what you're actually doing. I like that those you know, I don't off the top of my head and see, really, honest, I'm trying not to recommend thing.
Speaker 1: You know, when you peak my veriality, I gotta go there because I'm gonna tell you, honestly, I'm dealing with that. I'm dealing with you know, I'm a guy several credit cards. I'm gonna just tell you, not saying I'm bragging, but you know, you get these credit cards for business, you get the credit cards for personal. I have a daughter, my wife, and the another mistake I made is I may have a subscription on this credit card. I may have a subscription on that credit card, and so I can't track them. I can't hold everything. Like I might have my utility bills on this card. I might have my business utility bills on that card. So and hearing your advice is absolutely correct when I look at it. If I had to do it all over again, I would make sure that if I had any subscriptions, I would only put it on one card. I would make sure onlyn put it on one card. That way I can track it and understand it. But bad habits you're trying to get Apple, or you're trying to get Prime, and you just are Amazon or what any of these companies that require subscriptions. You just give them a card, and that can be a problem because you have to eventually track them down and sometimes you're paying for stuff that you really don't need.
Speaker 4: Are you absolutely? I think I think we all are right. It's really hard to stay on top of that stuff. And you know, sometimes I sign up for the monthly subscription just to make it easier to cancel, even though it's more expensive, because I'm like, I don't know if I really want this, let me try. And they're like, you know, it's cheaper, and I'm like, yeah, but I don't. I'm going to sign up for the annual thing and then I'm going to totally forget about it, and then the bill's going to happen. Then I will have paid it, and then you know, some of the good ones like remind you that it's coming up, but not all of it do.
Speaker 1: And you know, then the big number one trick move is you know, and is like, you know, these subscriptions say free sign up, but they want your credit card information, so it's not really a free sign up because if you forget, then the charge is going to hit your credit card.
Speaker 4: I tell you, what I've just started doing is putting a note in my calendar like calendar entry, cancel this right, Like I I just signed up for one right after the New year, and now I was just like it's I checked the date that the subscription was going to kick it, and I actually put a calendar note three days before. That's saying you got to cancel this because I wasn't sure I needed it, and I didn't need it, so I ended up doing it. But you know, if I hadn't put the calendar entry, and I totally would have forgotten to do it right.
Speaker 1: It was another note that really popped my eye into how student loan payments boost your credit score. I never would have thought that, please help me out.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, credit scores are based on how responsibly you pay your bills. So if you've got a lease and you're paying rent, that can show up on your credit cards. If you are, you know, you have student loans that can show up and actually boost your you know, your credit credit rating. So it actually makes a lot of sense to think about all of the things that you're paying routinely, that can be reported and that absolutely gets tracked. So you know, especially if you're in a financial pinch, you know, it doesn't make sense to start skipping some payments like that because it can really damage everything.
Speaker 1: Well, here's an interesting thing. I know I mentioned your book Your Best Financial Life, Save Smart Now for the future you want? Do you have a website?
Speaker 4: And I certainly do, thank you for asking. It's my name and Leicester dot com, so it's a N N E L E S T E R.
Speaker 1: Now, when you go to your website, what's available on there? Is it financial advice or is it like newsletter information? What's on that website?
Speaker 4: You can sign up for a newsletter. I've actually got a quiz that helps you understand your spending type, and I share some of those hacks. Like you take a little quiz you see are you an oversubscriber? Are you like a crypto bro? Are you a firefly? Are you an ostrich? Then you give you a couple of hacks to uh to figure out how to get get your arms around your saving and spending behavior. And then you can also sign up for my newsletter and then I'll be building out some more resources, and I will in fact be adding some you know, again with no personal recommendation, but just you know, these are some resources out there that you may be able to check out and find useful. So I will be building that in sood wow there today, but it will.
Speaker 1: Be yeah and so oh bottom line writing this book? Why why did you write the book?
Speaker 4: You know, I wrote it honestly for like it's the book I wish I had had when I was in my twenties. I grew up like my dad was a college professor. But you know, there was always enough money. I don't I don't think they had a lot of money. But my parents were born in the early thirties, right, and they just like the thought of like budgeting and talking about like financial habits never occurred to them because you just didn't spend money on stuff, like you just didn't. And so I never grew up with any like allowance or like sense of fixed moneies. I just grew up with like, if my parents thought it was a good thing to spend money on, they spent the money, and if they didn't, they didn't. And I was like, there was never any conversation about you have one hundred dollars, you have to figure out how to spend it on X, Y and Z, like you have to make choices. So and then I got a credit card and it was just terrible. So I made all these mistakes, and I it took me years and years and years to stop beating myself up right and feeling shame and blaming myself for making these decisions. And I just don't. It's so unnecessary, Like people should not feel ashamed of the decisions they made. You said it really well earlier. You know, you just have to accept what happened and move on. So for me, the key is our brains are wired to grab stuff in front of us. Our brains are not wired to help us make rational long term financial decisions, right right if they're wired to help us run away from the saber tooth tiger. So and you know we're hunting. Is we're supposed to grab what's in front of us and ron we're not supposed to say what's the rational choice here? Right? So just knowing that to me help me understand why I kept fighting myself, Right, I know I shouldn't do this, but wow, so and then hack yourself, right? So I wrote it for me. I wrote it for my kids. I wrote it for my kids' friends, like I really want to help people not make these mistakes and they don't have to make them. Love it.
Speaker 1: And thank you for coming on my show. And also I like to believe that I can bring you back because I try to. You know, you know your advice is dead on and I have a lot more questions I could have asked, but time, well you know time is what time is. But I want to thank you for coming on my show and now good luck with your book, and thank you for promoting your website and allowing us to be able to reach out to you in the future. I appreciate you.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that fantastic and thank you everybody for listening to the show money Making Conversation master Class as usual. I'll be back next week and you can listen to my show on Moneymaking Conversation dot com.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you for joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Money Making Conversations Masterclass with rough Shan McDonald is produced by thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight fifteen media dot com, and always remember to lead with your gifts INT