Speaker 1: The breakfast club.
Speaker 2: Breakfast clubs very very very very amed you like hating.
Speaker 3: The entire scene was like where y'all came a long way.
Speaker 4: They might have got the news, but you know they're listening.
Speaker 2: To the back of the brother.
Speaker 5: DJ MFY just hilarious and Charlamagne's a god. Y'all are like a mega rest club.
Speaker 6: That's how we get out this.
Speaker 5: Morning, us saying.
Speaker 7: Yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo.
Speaker 3: Just hilarious.
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 5: I go by the name of CHARLOA.
Speaker 2: Maade.
Speaker 4: The god DJ Envy is not here with us today, but his President's day, we all off, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: We just acting like we here in the moment.
Speaker 4: So actually we recorded this on Friday when then he wasn't here and it's playing back up.
Speaker 5: Are you telling them all that you got like lying to people with the point you used to lie all the time.
Speaker 4: I do, but when I lie, I let them know I'm lying, and I always tell them you should believe me even when I'm lying, because I'm gonna tell you when I'm lying.
Speaker 5: We'll be hyper y'all, it's President's Day. That gonna mean nothing to her.
Speaker 4: The hell you're so excited about that for We're just happy to have the day off for the moment. We'll be back tomorrow, but today we do have a lot of new content for you because us you're checked in with us, yes, you know, to talk about everything that happened at the Super Bowl. Who was supposed to be on stage. He talks to us about his marriage and why he hasn't been up here.
Speaker 8: Yep, and he also dropped some easter eggs that we didn't see, y'all. So y'all gotta go back and watch the halftime show.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 4: So we're gonna talk to Usher later on in the show, and Michael Harriet will be joining us. Michael Harriet is the author of a book called Black af History, The Unwhite Squashed Story of America, which retails American history from the experiences of black people. And he's a South Carolina native and this book is a New York Times bestseller and it's a great read, and I want y'all to read it. So he'll be here this morning. Jess hates when I have authors up him.
Speaker 8: All the time, and no disrespect. But you can write a comic book and he how long we gotta get him on the show.
Speaker 5: What Jesus I like reading?
Speaker 4: Okay, uh, but we'll be here, well, no, we won't be here, but you can listen to that new content that we just talked about it you lie, we'll be here. You know we'll be here them all because I'm so used to hearing everybody else lives. I'm just mimicking what they be doing. It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 7: Ray right, Ray yo, Charla man Nancy?
Speaker 9: What up are we lying?
Speaker 5: This is your time to get it off your chest?
Speaker 7: I got an indoor pool, outdoor pool.
Speaker 5: We want to hear from you on the Breakfast Club. Get on the phone right now here, tell you.
Speaker 2: What it is. We lie?
Speaker 5: Hello, who's this? How you doing this?
Speaker 10: Lamar the boiler that road?
Speaker 6: Lamar, what's up?
Speaker 5: Get off your chest?
Speaker 4: Brother?
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I've been listening to one O five one since I was a kid, y'all.
Speaker 5: I just want to show love to y'all because I've been calling in and I've always.
Speaker 6: Gotten through since at least s Dre since back then.
Speaker 4: I've been getting through Andre and Lisa absolutely, Lisa Gez.
Speaker 10: Yeah, since back then this day might as well throw it up, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I just appreciate y'all.
Speaker 10: You know, and and y'all show a lot of love to the community.
Speaker 11: So I just appreciate y'all.
Speaker 3: Man, I appreciate the radio station.
Speaker 11: I appreciate everything y'all do.
Speaker 5: Thank you, thank you, and.
Speaker 6: Again yes, salute to uh doctor Dre and Ed Lovell. And like I said, growing up in Queens, I would see Ed Level all the time in How Listen and their big inspirations and I always appreciate what they did, man, So salute to that.
Speaker 5: Oh absolutely.
Speaker 4: I mean Ed Lovel was one of the first first radio personalities I saw really getting it because you know, he was hosting your MTV raps to the movie movie man, like those are those are things that you know, I've always aspired to do.
Speaker 5: So salute that Lovel. That's what's up. Actually hosted Asence Festival with him on Hulu. Yeah, amazing.
Speaker 6: He's so funny.
Speaker 10: Hello, good morning guys, Hey, good morning Envy, good morning Jun. How you're doing today and d I want to congratulate you on the job. I wish you nothing but success and I wish you month success success in the future. Oh, and I got a question for drugs and beat y.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, you guys could.
Speaker 10: Acting classes, right, I did.
Speaker 5: I did not know you did.
Speaker 10: Oh because good things. But that's something I want to get into in the future. I'm thirty buckt me thirty two this month, and I feel like my life is going nowhere. I mean, I'm an assistant manager, but I want my life to go better and higher.
Speaker 6: Okay, I mean, I mean there's a lot of acting classes online if you can afford. Some of these colleges actually have it. My wife went to acting class at I can't remember the school in the city, but they had and I went to Tracy Moore Marrable. She was she still I think she still does it. She's a black woman out of New York. She she did Bust the Rhymes, she did me, she did a host of people. She did Yandy, she did a couple of people back in the day, and you know, just it's just you know, doing reps and teaching us the art of acting. So it was pretty cool.
Speaker 8: You actually don't always need acting classes, I would say. Is that something that you've always been interested in?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I've been thinking about it since twenty thirteen. But I'm I'm just honestly, I'm just I'm just scared to feeling that I might fail.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no, don't ever that.
Speaker 8: So what you can do is you can get some monologues and you can practice until you're able to even afford if you can, you know, acting classes, because they do get expensive.
Speaker 5: They are some, there are some that are affordable.
Speaker 8: But just start practicing monologues and then put yourself on camera, put yourself on tape, and then put yourself out there, you know, like to see to get feedback, because that's that's honestly what people do on YouTube and stuff like that, and that's how a lot of people they get discovered just like that.
Speaker 10: Well, I'll live in Massachusets, so I might how much of the class.
Speaker 6: Bro I went to classes fifteen years ago, seventeen years ago, so I'm sure what they were like fifty dollars a class back then, so I don't know what they are now.
Speaker 5: They would not not today.
Speaker 6: I mean, it was a long time ago. But you know, they also have free classes. You just got to google and check there. There's all types of workshops that you can do, and they have that thing that's like I'm trying to think what it is where you could actually go to comedy shows and you could be a part of it.
Speaker 5: It is, but you just got to do your googles, bro. Yeah yeah, and put yourself out there.
Speaker 6: Improv improv shows, have improp shows. We could actually be a part of it and do it weekly that that are usually not expensive for free.
Speaker 10: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 4: I like how fake professional y'all got when he called, like y'all turned on y'all trying to get an apartment voice.
Speaker 2: You know, I literally you.
Speaker 8: Made because you didn't take acting or anything because he didn't say anything to you.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I'm gonna I like the executive produced. I'm not really just and every time every time they put me on, I'm playing myself.
Speaker 5: But y'all really did turn Your voice is changed complete, But because you can't play nobody else, that's what I really.
Speaker 6: Did it Like I thought that's where I was gonna go before when when I was DJ, I was like, I'm going to be an actor. Yeah, I was gonna say, you did nobody ever thought. I swear to god, I'm in a couple of movies I did. I just did East New York last year the.
Speaker 4: Movie Never Thought You was Gonna be Now, I swear I ain't now I did.
Speaker 5: But what's the movie you played a real estate agent.
Speaker 6: I didn't do that movie.
Speaker 5: Oh hey look, charl mate, Blood of a Champion King.
Speaker 2: We're buying.
Speaker 5: In a movie with Bocaneki.
Speaker 8: Oh my god, you're on cmzquarter outside said, what's up with Jesse's great?
Speaker 2: Huh kill it?
Speaker 6: Get it off your chest eight hundred and five eight five one oh five one. If you need to vin, hit us up now it's the breakfast Club.
Speaker 12: Good morning, the breakfast Club. Wait, this is your time to get it off your chest. Eight hundred and five eight five one o five one. We want to hear from you on the breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: Hello, who's this morning?
Speaker 1: Goes?
Speaker 7: We're going Man's blesses?
Speaker 10: Man, Yeah, get it off your chest, man, Man, I.
Speaker 7: Was stuck in the elevator for a whole hour, Man, and the name needs to be done.
Speaker 10: A man needs to really wake up earlier, man, because.
Speaker 7: I felt like my life is over.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 7: I made so much promises for garden.
Speaker 1: Mother, Man like, oh.
Speaker 7: What's your so my worst edity?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 7: No windows so escape I'm thinking about Bruce Willis and died. I'm pressing the buttons, I'm kicking, I'm trying to punch codes, I'm doing everything. I'm like, you know what, let me think you. I ain't gonna lie. I had a little bit, but not too much. I was playing. I was playing. Marvis Sack never would have made it, damn.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 7: The only reason why I got out, The only reason why I got out because of the spams.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 7: He kept pushing the button downstairs, and he kept kicking the door, and then all of a sudden opened but it was a half of the floor. Then it popped up, and then I got out. And let's just tell everybody right now, man, I don't know if I'm gonna get elevated the game. You think it's a lawsuit.
Speaker 5: I don't know if it's a lawsuit.
Speaker 4: But I wouldn't wish that all my words, enemy, because I got a daughter who has a very unhealthy fear of elevators, and she like the walls are clothing.
Speaker 7: Then, like you just feel like every im playing. I was in one of the Titanic several reasons, man, but I thought was up the story.
Speaker 6: But anyway, Booklyn Bronx of Brooklyn you know it's the Bronx.
Speaker 5: Everything broken in the Bronx.
Speaker 7: Damn, he's clean.
Speaker 5: Have a blessing. I'm glad that you got out of that situation. Absolutely. I'm telling you my eight year old is definitely afraid of elevator.
Speaker 4: I don't know what she watched that she saw somebody get stuck on the elevator, but Lord have mercy. She not like elevators at all, in no way shape before Hello, Who's this?
Speaker 9: Hellos?
Speaker 6: Launched from New Jersey, Launch from New Jersey. But bro get it off your chest man, Yo, SI A my.
Speaker 7: Album up?
Speaker 4: Yes, I've been telling y'all that since the album came out. I told y'all he was gonna win rap album, but he had the Grammy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but I didn't know what. I didn't know what album came out.
Speaker 5: That that's your fault, But that's everybody's fault. Everybody.
Speaker 7: Everybody is shocked that he got I got.
Speaker 4: I've been on I've been on his radio saying that for months since he came out.
Speaker 7: Why would he get album? His album?
Speaker 8: So I think what he's trying to say is the promotion wasn't really there for it, Like because.
Speaker 7: I'm not trying to say that. I'm saying I heard the album and it sounds like a bunch of appreciations.
Speaker 11: And I don't like that.
Speaker 4: I don't want to be.
Speaker 7: I want to thank, I want to have some fun. I don't want to hear over that Martin Luther King's stuff.
Speaker 4: It's not full of the Martin Luther King's But listen, what album should have got?
Speaker 5: Rap album? But he is in to you.
Speaker 9: I can't think off my head, but I know, I know that's a lot of rappers out to some young kings out there.
Speaker 7: They should have got Album.
Speaker 2: Of the Years.
Speaker 5: Wow, this nobody take serious.
Speaker 6: He's just following people saying one, yeah, no, I've not heard that.
Speaker 4: I'm not a problem with you never heard the album. You never heard the album, and you don't know any other album that should have got Album of the Year.
Speaker 5: We love to talk about problems but never have solutions.
Speaker 3: But let me ask you a question.
Speaker 7: Yes, why I wasn't a TEBB.
Speaker 4: Now that's a whole different conversation. I see that's a conspiracy we're not talking about. Not only was it not telling me he got arrested.
Speaker 7: Because that's the worst televised people are going who's dead.
Speaker 5: That's not true.
Speaker 7: Listen because my son, my son is thirteen. He was like, who's dead?
Speaker 5: Every time? It's thirteen though that thirteen my son said, who's that too?
Speaker 7: Jamaine bro That son doesn't know Killer mikey, do you.
Speaker 6: Have any white people who performed at the Grammy did? I said, who's that? And I'm grown ass?
Speaker 4: What first?
Speaker 7: Last night?
Speaker 5: Let you do so exactly a lot of them.
Speaker 4: But I tell you want to say, I'll tell you some songs. That Miley Syren song that kept winning, I ain't never heard that song in.
Speaker 2: My last time that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I heard it this morning. I'm like, I've never heard the song.
Speaker 2: Ever in a year.
Speaker 4: A Taylor Swift and Scissor. I ain't here no conversations about no Miley Syris Man. She won so many award last night.
Speaker 6: So the Billy Eila song on the Bobbie soundtrack I never heard.
Speaker 5: So congrats to Killer Mike.
Speaker 6: Yes, absolutely, get it off your chest eight hundred five eight five one oh five one. If you need to vent, hit us up now with the Breakfast Club. Good Morning, the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 4: Yep, Charlamagne the God just hilarious. Dj V had to step out for a second. But we got some special guests, doctor leandrews La Bird and Twer Robinson. Leandre is the director of CDC's Office of Health Equity, and Tara is the founder and CEO of the Black Heart Association, And since February is Heart Health Month, we had to have them up here today.
Speaker 5: How are you?
Speaker 2: Good morning, good running.
Speaker 11: Glad to be able to talk about black women's heart health.
Speaker 5: Today with you. Absolutely share a little bit of data.
Speaker 11: Data's not new, but we really are here to talk more about what black women can do and how our whole community can support Black women in having healthier hearts and healthier lives.
Speaker 4: Well, what is the CDC Foundations Lived to the Beat campaign For those that don't know.
Speaker 11: Yeah, so, the Live to the Beat campaign is a web based campaign that really targets African Americans with things that we can do in order to protect our health and our heart health. It has lots of resources, lots of videos, it's very culture really based, very much the things that we can relate to in our own communities and so it's been around for three years. We just invite all of your your listeners and your viewers to go to Live to theb dot Org forward slash Heart to Heart. We're gonna talk today a lot about the Heart to Heart Challenge, Lee.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So the Heart to Heart.
Speaker 11: Challenge focuses on particularly Black women. Even though heart disease is the leading cause of death for all black people, and heart disease is the leading cause of death.
Speaker 2: For all women.
Speaker 11: It kills more women than all forms of cancer combined. And so what we want to be able to do is to encourage black women to get involved with the campaign and the challenge follows simple steps and really start to just be more empowered to take care of themselves. Yeah, and to prioritize self care. That's a big theme. So we say that self care is healthcare.
Speaker 8: One of y'all survived three heart attacks. Power it was you girl, that has to be well, it's amazing that you're still here in front of me. But like, did you know something was wrong before I hit them?
Speaker 11: I didn't.
Speaker 13: My symptoms started in twenty thirteen, my left arm with numb and my neck, And you would think based on those two symptoms that I would say, oh, it's my heart, But no, I'm always in touch with the healthcare system, you know, going to the doctor when I'm supposed to. And so me and my husband said, well, maybe I just sleep on this side too much, you know, to start self diagnosing, and so I did that, and then so I said, well, I'll wait till January to follow up with my primary care and think I had time, not knowing then that someone was dying every eighty seconds from a heart attack. And so I went to my doctor and I said, hey, you know, these things are happening to me. My left arms going on, my feet are darker, tired, my neck. And she said, well, maybe you're just stressed, your doctor. My doctor said that yes, and so I said, well maybe I am. Because I'm a mother, I'm a wife. I were all these many hats, as many women do. And so I left there thinking I was just stressed. She made no connection to my heart being a possible issue. So God kept me from January to April. April tenth, I woke up at two o'clock in the morning, I still had all those symptoms times ten, and then went to the er. By the time I arrived that I felt much better. Was dismissed and told them to follow my primary care. And then the next day in my classroom, had another one. Then I'm going back and forth with the cardiovascular doctor that I should stay because they wasn't finding anything on their test. But then I was released at eleven at four o'clock the next day going back having a massive heart attack. So were they not doing the right test?
Speaker 5: They weren't.
Speaker 13: I believe that they were doing the test that they know to do. That's what I have to believe to be okay. But I think as data shows that most women don't show like men, present like men that with heart attacks. But for me, I have to textbook symptoms. And so we know as black women, we face other issues with healthcare as far as bias and racism. So I face those two things that's going through my ordeals. So we have to know where we stand and we have to know what our risk factors are. And that's why this campaign is so important.
Speaker 4: I've done like a million different I've done every single heart test that you can possibly do right. So even when they did I don't know the technical term for, but when they put the ink inside of you and they can look inside your arteries, no, I did discress tests. But this is when they put the like the dye in it and it makes you warm and then they can look inside your heart vibes and see if there's any blockage and like you will make it.
Speaker 5: They didn't do that for you.
Speaker 13: Through the calf lab during my massive heart attack. They didn't do that before because I guess maybe they were coming back to back and I feel like they didn't do enough. I'm sure it was other things they could have done, but I didn't have that done until I went through Well, I didn't do that part, but I went through the calf lab and then that's when I went into sudden depth. I ended up dying that day, losing my life on to heaven coming back here, and so none of that happened because at that point it was too late. This I'm in crisis at this moment. And so they did the basic test, your EKG, your CAT scan, your heart and ZIME tests. That's what was done when I went through ER, not the more that you would see at a cardiovascular doctors SORR.
Speaker 4: I forgive me, I'm stupid. I just realized I thought you had three separate heart attacks. It was all at one time.
Speaker 13: No, I had one April tenth April, eleventh April until.
Speaker 2: The next day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Hey, yeah, and you said you died and went to heaven. Yeah, yeah, you saw heaven.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 5: Please elaborate if you.
Speaker 13: Don't lease, I don't want to take the interview from Liz to the v. But so what happened was I thank god it was a sister in there that may help me be very comfortable. So it's important, No in the emergency, in the I'm glad you. So the nurse I remember her because you're up during the entire procedure, and so she was like, he's gonna tamper with your heart. You're gonna feel a little discomfort, but it's gonna be okay. She was from New Orleans, so she had that thick accent. But it made me feel very comfortable. And when she said that, I was just gone. And so how I knew where I was. I could see myself and it was a perfect day if you could think of the perfect day with the perfect green garass, perfect temperature, perfect, you know, and so vibrant everything. And I could see myself like walking, and I had this peace. And that's how I knew where I was because my mind was white clear. I wasn't worried about my children here and my husband. Nothing here was a factor for me, and so I could hear my name being called. It was called three times, and it was the nurse, and then I was I knew where I was because I was on my way. I could feel that like a knowing. And then I was back here after she called my name and I didn't realize. She was like, oh, you fell asleep on us for a second. And then when the doctor came in and said you had ninety nine percent block as you're known as the widowmaker, he said, but when you died on us, I stopped and prayed for you. And so I was lucky enough to have a doctor at that moment that.
Speaker 4: Wow, doctor Delandris, what's the sign that something maybe wrong with our hearts?
Speaker 11: Well, terror you know, she certainly shared some of the classic symptoms, but the other things we need to always be aware of is our numbers. What is our blood pressure level, what is our cholesterol level, what are our blood sugars. I would even say, you know, what's our weight? And we need to check in with our physician regularly around these things.
Speaker 13: For women, it's totally different from men. You know, I was lucky enough to have the textbook symptoms, which only twenty percent of women show up at the er with the textbook symptoms, So imagine what happens to the rest of us who don't have those and see what I got with them. With men, you usually have the textbook symptoms, but with women it can be a belly ache. You hear women complaining of both either arm being numb, You can hear fatigue, you can hear no symptoms at all. And the danger with heart disease is that it doesn't have a look, you know, and no shot to my counselor survivors, sisters, but heart disease is dangerous because it looks okay, it looks like me and you dressed up in makeup, it looks like us in clothes, and that we have to, you know, change that narrative so in order to save our lives. And that's why these campaigns are lived to the beat is important because when we talk about small steps, small steps is looking at your plate and saying what can I do to better manage my health because yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: My doctors told me that I'm just fighting against genetics because he's like, my arteries just are aging faster or aging faster than I am, but heart did these runs in my family, Like my dad had.
Speaker 5: Whatever's after four.
Speaker 4: Quadrubules four so whatever after that quintumple, he had that bypass surgery and my uncle's had like three or four different bypass surgery.
Speaker 11: So yeah, and a black heart.
Speaker 13: We do genetic to what we do of licoprotein A, so we can tell our community if their risk of ever having a heart attack or stroke. So we do a lot of things on that bus and we're trying to be national with it so we can take this We take this campaign to our community as well, encouraging them to take those small steps.
Speaker 4: Well, how can people reach out to y'all for you know, more questions, you know if they got more oh for questions and more info.
Speaker 11: So certainly go to the website Live to Thebeat dot org forward slash Heart to Heart. That's where you can get more and more information about Live to the Beat and all of the many more strategies than we've been able to cover today. And and also you can reach us through through that website. Someone will follow up. I'm with you, yeah for sure.
Speaker 5: What about Black Heart Association?
Speaker 13: So we're Black Heart Association dot org and we're about to get two more buses, one in Houston, one of San Antonio and hopefully we'll be in nationals.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 5: Thank you, doctor Leandrews Libert. Did I pronounce that right? No, it's not fine. You can't be messing. That's going, that's going to contribute to the heart.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Tyl Robinson, thank you for joining us this morning. It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: You're checking out the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's the world most Dangerous Morning short to Breakfast Club Charlamagne, just hilarious.
Speaker 5: Yes, we're here and well we're really not. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's President's Day, but you know we have some new content for you because us. You're checked in with us to talk about all things super Bowl and his marriage, his new tour, and we're going to get into that conversation right now on the World's most thing. Just morning to the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: ARSA.
Speaker 3: That wild man over there, what's going on?
Speaker 4: I know that domestic terrorists ain't calling nobody a wild man. Jessea Larius is here to us, and you know she's the new official third co host of the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: What's Upgests with all the mess? How you doing?
Speaker 8: I just got this job and you ain't even come in here. You ain't been here since twenty seventeen.
Speaker 3: I know, man, I need to come up there to here here, to be more and endures.
Speaker 4: Congratulations on everything, No, my brother, an amazing super Bowl performance, a new album is out right now, and you are a domestic terrorist.
Speaker 5: You did it again.
Speaker 4: You're a minister society. Why were you so handsy? Why are you so handy with miss Alicia Keys? Sir?
Speaker 1: No, listen, it's not anyway in any shape, form or fashion that Unfortunately you gave me the handle.
Speaker 3: But nah, man, it's a celebration. Man. We had an amazing time at the super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Most watched super Bowl all time time, Yeah, of all time, with more people.
Speaker 3: Watch that than the Apollo eleven Landa Man, I'm like blown away.
Speaker 1: Since nineteen ninety, nineteen sixty nine, you know, there's not been a greater viewing than what happened on Super Bowl Sunday.
Speaker 3: So I'm really happy about.
Speaker 2: That, man.
Speaker 4: And you've been a superstar for a long long time. So what does something like the super Bowl do for you when you perform in front of that many people on that stage?
Speaker 5: Is there another level?
Speaker 1: I don't know, it's pretty hard to beat that one, and it's going to be pretty hard to beat that number. So man, I'm just I'm just really happy, blessed. You know, I worked really hard in Las Vegas to tell a story about my culture where I come from, and being able to share that with the rest of the world, you know, was really a monumental moment in my career, in my life. You know, I've said many times, you know, I turned Vegas to Atlanta, where I was able to introduce the entire world to what Atlanta is, to turn the world to Atlanta for that moment, for those fifteen minutes. So I'm just really happy that everything happened the way that it did. I'm happy that jay Z ANDZ reached out to me to do it. I'm happy that Hamis shot it the way that he did. Happy that Akaman Jones and Hamish worked together and pass people who put all of it together to look like it was.
Speaker 3: I'm happy to out my choreographers.
Speaker 1: And dancers and you know, contortionists and tumblers, little John Ludacris, Alicia Keys Her where I am, everybody came through and was able to be a part of it, you know, because it's a thirty. It's a thirty year plus you know, celebration for me, and it was hard as hell to put all of those thirty years into fifteen minutes, but I did it, and I was able to introduce people to, you know, the culture of the past. You think about everything that Vegas has offered over the last two years to me, but everything that it represented in the past. You noticed the wardrobe and the fact that I kind of took people through what I would consider a past, present and future experience just in time for me to you know, launch my tour. But it was real deliberate, like the wardrobe was selected to make you remember our glamours we were in those times and how you know, going into you know, segregated casinos and being able to not you know, right now as with normal people in those times. It was like a thing of our pride being taken in that time. So that was part of my storytelling, Like Yo, I really wanted to honor all of the people who had had anything to do with us being in Las Vegas from the beginning of what Las Vegas experience was for our black experience. Bringing eight Spiece us into the conversation, Cappus came out step with me, skate culture, all of those things. It was a past present, future conversation now.
Speaker 5: And then you in your night getting married.
Speaker 8: Yeah, congratulations, Oh my god, what made you do it that night?
Speaker 5: What made you get married that night?
Speaker 1: You know, just to put you know, an incredible ending on this chapter of Las Vegas.
Speaker 3: We talked about it.
Speaker 1: We am I proposed to her, uh last year and she been wearing that ring and I ain't want to be that guy who just you know, just continue to hold on forever to the ring. But you know, we talked about the best time to do it. Obviously, around the time we started getting ready for Super Bawl, I was going back to Las Vegas. It's like, damn, I got to play Las Vegas, do these shows, then go get ready for Super Bowl and let's do a wedding.
Speaker 3: I's like, that's just too much pressure. What did we You know?
Speaker 1: We do a drive through just for our kids and our immediate family. Yeah, you know, oh Vegas style. You know how Frank Sinatra and Elvis Preston did it.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So it's like, yo, let's go get officiated by an Elvis impersonator.
Speaker 3: And make it fun. You know, you got all the pressures that come with getting married.
Speaker 1: You gotta, you know, get your down together and make sure everybody's accommodated to get the food, make sure you're spending hundreds of thousands, millions of dollars on on this this moment that really is about the union of two people and the love of your family.
Speaker 3: So I was happy to have her family there, my family there, my kids there, and.
Speaker 11: We did it.
Speaker 3: We did it without any pressure.
Speaker 1: And finishing the Super Bowl was the hardest part, and then getting dressed to get there, but then in time to make it to the after party and we went and you know, kicked it with Snoop and uh and doctor Dre and my flippers party.
Speaker 3: But it was it was cool, man, it was. It was wonderful.
Speaker 4: You know, us are regardless of your reputation. As you know, mister, don't leave your girl around me. You you you're a family man, like you like being married. I'm plural, I'm saying, Terris.
Speaker 5: You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 14: Minutes What was the important people think?
Speaker 3: I guess I'm just plural.
Speaker 4: What was the importance of paying tribute to Michael Jackson and your performance because I don't know if people.
Speaker 5: A lot of people see.
Speaker 1: What you don't realize is that there's so many gyms that you have yet to unlock it. You only called one, you called Michael. Did you catch Marvin? Did you catch the back leg pop for James Brown?
Speaker 3: Did you catch that one?
Speaker 5: I think I called Marvin when you were shirtless?
Speaker 3: No, that that was Teddy P. See you got it?
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, okay, that.
Speaker 1: Was Bob Brown and Teddy P. I gave a little bit of Luther Vandross in there. The piano moment was a ROBERTA. Flack and Donny Hathaway.
Speaker 3: You missed them.
Speaker 5: You got to give up some of these Easter eggs?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 5: What was the delivered in all things that I do?
Speaker 1: When I bring the culture of what I am and what has made me who I am everywhere I go, even right now, you don't even realize it's happening right now.
Speaker 5: Behind look behind.
Speaker 4: Them the picture. I see the picture. So you saw the Michael. What was the Teddy P Bobby Brown tribute?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean coming out of my shirt was obviously Bobby Brown moment.
Speaker 1: Teddy P was the was the the taktop and just you know, just crooning and being able to have at that moment, all of it is.
Speaker 3: Who I am.
Speaker 1: But in what I've done and who I am, I recognize all of the people that have really paved the way. Far too often, man, do we just forget about the people that really made it happen. There was a little bit it was it was it was some Ron Eyesley in there.
Speaker 6: It was it was Gap Band in there.
Speaker 3: It was you didn't catch the Gap Band and earth Fire you didn't get that part? No, man, it's all of them, was there?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: And then Jackson five was there? You heard that one?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I we would.
Speaker 3: You didn't catch the zap one.
Speaker 5: I gotta go back and watch.
Speaker 1: If you go back, it's a it's an entire education that's happening right in front of your eyes.
Speaker 8: I just think it's all blown away from everything. It was like a party and it was like it was it was amazing.
Speaker 2: It was so much.
Speaker 3: It was what we do, baby, Yeah, we get out when we get out.
Speaker 5: We debated about it.
Speaker 4: A lot of people said I was being a prisoner of the moment, but I'm just talking about our first watch. My initial reaction was, that's the best half super Bowl halftime performance I've ever seen. And so then the next day I went through them and even with it, I'm like, I don't see how you you can't say this isn't the best for me? The top five is you, Michael Jackson, Beyonce the first. I think it was the first beyond when she brought Dathane's child out. Yeah, and Doctor Dreams knew.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that game.
Speaker 4: We got more with us. You're coming up, so don't go anywhere. It's the worlds most dangerous morning short of Breakfast Club. Yes, the was more dangerous morning short of Breakfast Club.
Speaker 5: Charlamagne to God.
Speaker 4: Here, Jessa Larius is here, and Usher checked in with us man to talk all things super Bowl and his marriage and all of that good stuff. Is a new album that's right coming home. So let's talk to us right now on the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 5: Why didn't things work out with Justin Biber?
Speaker 3: You know what they did work out with Justin?
Speaker 1: You know, I honored and and and and recognized that my brother. You know, I think that it might have been the fact that he was just you know, wanting to tell a different story right now. And I understand that but we did have a brief conversation, and you know, we're gonna do something else in the future. But they're no love Lost or anything like that. I think that it's a lot of pressure for the super Bowl, obviously for me to put together the show, so I reached out to everybody. Justin wasn't the only person that I actually spoke to about doing the super Bowl, but the moment was maybe for later.
Speaker 3: He's gonna play the super Bowl. I'll go ahead and give you that in the future.
Speaker 1: I profess that over his life and over his time, because he has a career that deserves it.
Speaker 3: But it just didn't happen. But that doesn't mean it's not going to.
Speaker 5: What was Chris Brown?
Speaker 2: Ever?
Speaker 5: For consideration, that was another rumor out that.
Speaker 3: No, I didn't I did not reach out to Chris Brown.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, is there anybody? Is anybody else?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 5: I want to There was always there was a rumor that you and Chris had a little kerk fuffle.
Speaker 1: It's all good, man, you know, it's it's it's actually, you know, always going to be something that you're gonna hear, you know, you know, issues between.
Speaker 3: Me and that man. We're good.
Speaker 5: Okay, if anyone else you wanted on stage with you but things didn't work out.
Speaker 1: I can't hear you all of that I wish, I wish I could. Well, I can't give you that exclusive. If you hear it, by the way, I will confirm it, but I will not. Okay, I'm not going to tell you everybody I reached out to. I reached out to some hitters I was curating. I was curating what would be one of the greatest Super Bowls of all time, and it actually turned into that because of who I reached out to.
Speaker 3: I felt like her.
Speaker 1: She is an amazing artist, but even more amazing guitarist, and I wanted the world to see her as the rock star or rock and soul star she is. And Alicia obviously reached out to because we had, you know, my boot, and I wanted the world to see her as a glamorous start that she was.
Speaker 3: I dak.
Speaker 1: I dreamt her vision and I always started flowing huge dress that would go over the entire stadium. It's like I just got this this very I'm just real specific about handling, handling our icons the way that they need to be handled, and we need to do that more often we can get into the mess. Yes, and we can absolutely get into the mess to God, you know what I'm saying. But Yo, we got to handle our icons the right way. We got to make certain we lift them up on God, you understand what I'm saying. But the way that Jay reached out home and say, this is the way that Jay reached out because he understood. Yo, this is a moment for the culture. We have to preserve our icons in the same way. Don't let the mess bring our icons down because we don't get them back, and we don't get a chance. Like we all human and we all go through things and we all want to experience things. But we gotta handle higher icons the right way. You know, the rock stars they handle each other the right way.
Speaker 5: You know they do.
Speaker 3: We don't get caught up in the boy and we shouldn't. Let's stop that. Let's let's let's lift our icons up.
Speaker 1: Let's make certain that we keep them preserved high at the highest place in the best wardrobe, on the biggest stage, in the biggest moment being seen, because they'll surely forget about us and if you helped him, and if you helped him, forget about us, sty'll do it quicker.
Speaker 5: So you know, you know, so I just wanted us say I apologize, but you said.
Speaker 4: What I said.
Speaker 8: I apologize for helping out the mess because he talking to him. He's very intentional. He's very intentional about the stuff that he's saying, and he keeps saying that and just and I understand.
Speaker 5: So I apologize. But did you know Jermaine dupri was gona wear that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, y'all didn't keep Jermaine Dupris. In the highest of absolutely, we did know.
Speaker 1: Jermaine knew exactly what he was wearing, and and and you know what he should because that's that's his story, and that's what's dope. Like the reality is the first time we start Michael ling literary socks, we laughed. The first time we start Prince with his cheeks out, we all laughed, and we thought that it.
Speaker 3: Was funny until it became his moment. That's his moment. We're just looking at that.
Speaker 1: True, But it's cool, y'all look at however you want. I see something that's going to continue to grow. It's all about how you look at life, man, It's.
Speaker 3: How you look at it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'll tell you just this.
Speaker 10: Just know that you definitely have the.
Speaker 1: Influence to determine how people choose to look at things, so frankly in the right direction, because our icons matter.
Speaker 4: And that's why I think is an icon who should always be treated in touch. I'm telling me and the dream had this convo, and I don't know why. It just stuck with me that night when the dream said, I'm like, yo, the dream is right. We have to celebrate the legends that we have now. I really think it's because y'all still here.
Speaker 11: It's not just that it.
Speaker 1: Sure as sure as technology becomes obsolete, you know, you could assume that music and the spirituality that's inside of it will too, but it won't.
Speaker 3: It'll always be there. But why not celebrate the people, not just what they made.
Speaker 1: Let's celebrate them and let's make them feel loved because they gave something, They dedicated, they made you feel something, They made you fall in love, they made you happy, they made you smile, they gave you energy, they gave you something thing that you needed into that moment.
Speaker 3: So why not continue to lift them up.
Speaker 1: That's why at every show you see me bringing the artists that I know have been influential.
Speaker 10: To my stage.
Speaker 1: I ain't hiding them. I'm not trying to make them look bad. I'm like, no, let's make them look great. Let's continue to lift our own people up. Let's lift each other up. Let's continue to push each other up. Just you know, I stay on, le yo, do it better?
Speaker 3: Come on, do it better?
Speaker 5: Yes, lift me up.
Speaker 6: There, I got you.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna keep pushing you. I'm gonna make you great.
Speaker 1: I want you to be great. That's it, That's all I want. I want greatness for our people.
Speaker 5: I won't.
Speaker 3: I won't. I want our people to make certain that we know we are great. Absolutely, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: You know, have you seen some of your old moments, like when you was on stage with Nicki Minaj and you was head button or ass Why would you sawing?
Speaker 5: Why would you sawing hinge?
Speaker 1: In that moment, By the way, it was Jamaican culture, see you gotta go to you gotta go to Jamaica.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 10: That was just the moment that was that was fun.
Speaker 1: And by the way, it was me playing my bass, so I would have probably bumped my shoulder on my hand. You know what I'm saying, but I had my base in my hands. I was playing, so I just kind of bopped off a body.
Speaker 3: A little bit.
Speaker 1: If you go back and look at the video, you'll understand because I did it there the first time.
Speaker 3: That was a little bit of Jamaican coaching.
Speaker 1: It was all being I was like, man, I think I think I was reaching a bit when I was factored though I shouldn't expected, but I shouldn't did that.
Speaker 5: See you gotta lift up, man, I was lifting.
Speaker 4: And I always wondered to what was what was your reaction to the Boondocks episode about you, man, because that keeps coming up.
Speaker 5: That's been coming up all week too.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I hate Regiena about that, and then you know they they crazy.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It's funny. But I guess this's that's the truth of the other side of what happens. That's the usher effect.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Most talked, but man, never that is who you are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I appreciate that, but hey, in no way anything that was done there ship have been viewed as bad or in any way perverted or anything like that. No, it was literally about, you know, having having fun because of a song that me and Alisha made many years ago and we celebrated because of the legacy of it and no disrespect to anybody or anything like that.
Speaker 5: Have you in Swiss and Alisha shared a laugh about it.
Speaker 3: All of me absolutely laughed about it. It's crazy how people pick they handle.
Speaker 1: It's all about how you present things, man, but it's all of one of my shout outs, shout out to the Dean Collection. Y'all get out to Brooklyn and check out the check out the Dean Collection.
Speaker 4: This year we got more with us. You're coming up, so don't go anywhere with the world. The Most Dangerous Mornings for the Breakfast Club. Yere Dangerous Morning Short the Breakfast Club. Charlamagnea God here, Jessa Larious is here, and Usher checked in with us man to talk all things super Bowl and his marriage and all of that good stuff. It's a new album that's right coming home. So let's talk to Usher right now on the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 5: Tell us about your Black Love and Atlanta TV.
Speaker 3: Oh it's coming.
Speaker 1: I think that we as artists, there's a price that we all have to pay in entering this industry, and most of the time we either sell off our publishing or either we don't we don't retain it because it's not an option too, or either we don't value it because it doesn't have value in theory. But what the value becomes is something that people have already recognized.
Speaker 3: A story or song.
Speaker 1: Storytelling is something that I've always done. So what I did is I've taken the songs of the masters that I don't own, and I reframed them into now something that is a narrative piece that you'll be able to see. So you already know what the story is, and you know what the crescendo of the story is. But here's just another way of you flipping. You know, a hustler, you know what I'm saying, if you want to call it a hustle. But the reality is I own the idea, but I don't necessarily own the ipiece, So why not go after some other portion of it to use it to storytell?
Speaker 3: How does it make sense?
Speaker 4: It makes How does it feel to have coming home speaking in out of the field, have coming home on your own label?
Speaker 3: That's amazing, you know.
Speaker 1: I'm really hoping that it continues to pave the way and show, you know, artists who have been in this industry for you know, thirty plus years that no matter you know, how long you may be in it, you know, keep going, keep going, keep striving, find great partnerships. Because it's really a result of having an amazing partnership with La and also to Larry Jackson.
Speaker 3: That makes it what it is.
Speaker 1: But you know, thirty years after signing my first deal and having now come back as an independent artist and having the type of reaction to my music, I don't take that lightly.
Speaker 3: I do appreciate the love.
Speaker 1: I do appreciate the fact that people, you know, that gravitating towards the music, that they're interested in it, that it connects with their lives as it has connected to mine.
Speaker 3: And this is just the next chapter in installation of my life.
Speaker 5: Ruin is one of my favorite songs off the album Oh my God.
Speaker 8: You knew I was going to say that because I'm the one to put you on with the song I should anyway, I love Ruined what Feels, and I was going to ask you it is my favor It's one of my favorite songs, but it is the one that I do my makeup to every morning.
Speaker 3: What was that to give you a whole book of youse? I love that I love your eu.
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 3: Who did?
Speaker 5: Who inspired that song? No, he not, He's just Usher, it's Usher. I want to know who inspired Ruined?
Speaker 3: Life inspired Ruined?
Speaker 1: You know the idea that you know we can be in relationships that you know can can change your perspective.
Speaker 3: You know, you can open yourself up, you know, especially for men. You know what I'm saying. It's like, you know how hard it is to get my heart to open, and then when it does, you know, this one it killed me. It pushed me back.
Speaker 1: It made me look at every woman differently until I met my daughter, and then she ruined me in a different way because she's like spoiled and all the things that she should be at her three year old as a three major.
Speaker 3: She she ruined me.
Speaker 1: But you know before that, the song ideally is about when you're in a relationship with somebody who you know, you try to, you try to get it right, and then you just can't, and it's like you just you don't look at it. You don't look at any relationship the same because of that one, until you meet the one who replaces.
Speaker 3: That love in your heart. That's why I shot the.
Speaker 8: Video the way that I did yes, and that is I bet you you can see the video. It's a really really nice visual.
Speaker 14: I really love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The completion of that is is the joy, the joy that my wife gave me and giving me my first daughter. You know, I love my boys, don't get me wrong. But every man who has a daughter, he understands what I'm saying. When I say that daughter's changed.
Speaker 5: You, I got full.
Speaker 3: They replace it, They replace a love that you can't explain.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 4: When you talk about relationships, Ussher and you talk, I saw when you talk about being in toxic relationships throughout your life, can you admit to yourself that you might have been toxic once at some point?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Okay, absolutely, you know, uh and and it's obviously in the music to say so.
Speaker 1: But I think that we all are a product of what experiences we had as kids, and what our idea of love is and what we you know, we perceived to actually be healthy love that might not necessarily be access is something that all you know, people do have. But you know, is it better to have a ton when you really, you know, should really love yourself first? You know, all all of those I mean, there's I was taught to be a player. You know what I'm saying, Hey player from the him Malayas. You know what I'm saying was I was killing them, you know.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying.
Speaker 5: But this man is a minus man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I'm saying, and probably turned down more than I could ever choose to say. But I'm saying, like, to be real, toxic is something that I think we all got to individually work through and I did.
Speaker 3: I did it. You know, in a matter of about five to six years of my life.
Speaker 1: Things changed because I changed because at my forty, my forty at the year, changed my perspective and it made me want something more.
Speaker 3: It made me want to love myself more.
Speaker 1: It made me want to be a better person, hopefully for my children so that they didn't have to be toxic in their lives.
Speaker 3: You know. But I think that all of it is, you know, kind of you know, living and learning.
Speaker 4: That's interesting you say that, because I feel like when you made that change, and we didn't even know you made that change, that's when it seemed like you started to get your flowers in a real way. That's when things started to shift, Like the residency and everything started around that time.
Speaker 5: So that says a lot. You did the work on yourself and came back to you in life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we all can, We all should. And part of it is is wanting to uh that belief and unwavering commitment to what you believe in your mind no matter what life is presenting you or what people may say about you. That doesn't matter. What you feel about you matters. What I say I am is what matters.
Speaker 3: I'm a ruler in my own mind.
Speaker 1: I'm a king and I am building a kingdom in my own mind, and that is all that matters, no matter what may be said, No matter what anyone could choose to say.
Speaker 3: What I say matters. What I say goes in my life, and I am the architect of my own destiny. You know what I'm saying. And that's just something you got to. You gotta remember.
Speaker 10: You got to.
Speaker 3: You gotta remind yourself of that every day, young man.
Speaker 1: Remind yourself of that every day, young lady, that you are as great as you say you are, and if you believe it, it will.
Speaker 5: Be perfect way to end.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: Make sure y'all go get the Coming Home album. Make sure you go check out Rushia when he hitched the roll this year.
Speaker 5: Yes, because I'm definitely going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yes, I see you out there cause you're coming to be more. You're coming to Atlanta. We're playing for in Brooklyn, just so y'all know. So y'all get over there.
Speaker 8: Well, I gotta come to Baltimore, like I really gotta come in in. I gotta You're gonna bring.
Speaker 3: Me DC, Baltimore, Atlanta. I mean you Houston, but I got in Miami, but.
Speaker 5: I'm from Baltimore. I gotta go. I gotta go to the You're gonna bring me on stay so I can say I love you or.
Speaker 1: I got you.
Speaker 4: All right, it's Usher Raymond.
Speaker 5: Y'all, thank you for checking in my brother.
Speaker 3: You're bringing your husband with you?
Speaker 5: I should, am, I am. I'll be right by then. Yes, I'm gonna bring it with me.
Speaker 4: He want to make sure you bring your husband so he can have something extra special, spicy done to that's what that's what you want.
Speaker 5: No, you're gonna lift me up, he said. He's gonna keep pushing me. It's Usher Raymond's the breakfast club, damn. But he ages it's time for donkey as a kid who got the donkey out of the day today.
Speaker 4: Well, Jeff Larian's Donkey today goes to an unidentified grubhub driver and the man who ordered from grubhub named Khalib Woods, and I let the record show I don't believe grubhub was responsible for this.
Speaker 5: In fact, Grubhub.
Speaker 4: Released the statement and said we took commediate action with the driver and ended his contract with us. Were following up with the customer to apologize, and are coaching the representative who was previously in touch with the customer. And now why am I leading with grubhub statement?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I just felt like it would make the story more intriguing. You can't make you wonder what did the driver do? All right?
Speaker 5: Khalid Woods?
Speaker 2: What did he?
Speaker 5: What did the driver do to Khaleib Woods? All right?
Speaker 4: That grubhub would release a statement like this, well, if you want to know.
Speaker 5: Let's go to ABC four for the report police.
Speaker 15: And also we are hearing from a man who claims he ordered a milkshake on grub hub but got a cup full of urine instead. Caleb Wood saying that he ordered a Chick fil A sandwich, fries and a milkshake through grub Hub. Well, when he started eating his meal, he put the straw in his cup and says he took a sip immediately realized he had gotten a cup of warm urine.
Speaker 14: Wow, did you use the cups?
Speaker 5: Because like this is it's half full of me? What going on to say?
Speaker 15: The driver admitted that he works long hours and doesn't take bathroom breaks, so he urinates in a cup. ABC four reached out to grub Hub as well for a response, and in a statement, they responded with saying, in part, this is unacceptable and we have absolutely no tolerance for this or any type of misconduct on grub Hub. We took immediate action with the driver and ended his contract with us.
Speaker 5: So much donepack here? Wow. First of all, let this be a lesson to all of y'all. This is why you must tip.
Speaker 4: Okay, even though it was an honest mistake I believe by the driver, this definitely shows the amount of power these food delivery people have. So y'all should be tipping, all right. You know the model if you're not tipping me, you end up sipping pea. Okay, Now, I've never heard of that mode. If they don't ever drip drip, like don't you never heard your motto? Well, since we don't know this driver's name, you should give him one that's hilarious.
Speaker 5: You're good with this type of stuff. What are you thinking? What's this driver who peed in the cup's name?
Speaker 2: P Diddy?
Speaker 4: Pistol Pete pistol.
Speaker 5: Pete pete popla?
Speaker 11: That was?
Speaker 14: And what should we go with?
Speaker 5: I like all of them?
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, Now, I'm not the highest greed weed in the dispensary, know, am I the strongest avenger? But the reason Khalid has to get some of this heat hard too, is because Khalid, you ordered a milkshake. Now, I'm lactose in tolerance, so I can't enjoy chickpil A milkshakes like I used to. But I've had the cookies and cream milkshake from Chick.
Speaker 5: Fil A, I've had the peach now.
Speaker 4: The one I would risk uncontrollable diarrhea for was that banana pudding milkshake Yellow. I had that one that was on the menu for just a limited time. But look at God, that thing was something serious.
Speaker 2: You hear me.
Speaker 4: Now, I'm saying all this about milkshakes for one reason, and one reason only milkshakes are thicking in kindergarten pencils. Okay, milkshakes are thicker in saucy santana in a skim's body suit.
Speaker 5: There is no reason for you.
Speaker 4: To be sipping a yellowish colored what I would assume warm beverage from Chick fil A. You know you didn't know how to elimonde. So for you to even sip that and think it was a milkshake and not know it was pee, did you not smell it first? Like this uber driver must drink nothing but water. Okay, he must have never had no asparagus in his life. The only other explanation for you mistaken pea for a milkshake was maybe just maybe that wasn't pea. This driver clean used to have to take bathroom bricks, so he just peas and cups, which I think is bs because when you a man in the world, is your tilet we can whip out in p Anywhay, if you looked in that cup and you saw something that was whitish in color and reminded you of a milkshake, then that might have been some cocksknop. Okay, that might have been some high fruit toast porn. If you hit me pearl jam all right, because there ain't no way. I don't even know if this was anymous honest mistake. All right, p Diddy a p d Pablo or Pitts Brown or whatever just called him. He just happened to be peeing in the Chick fil a cup all day?
Speaker 5: Like, don't don't these drivers deliver for more than one restaurant?
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, do right, yes, So you just happened to be peeing in the Chick fil A cup on the same day you was lading in the Chick fil A somebody.
Speaker 5: I don't know if this might have been an honest mistake. It feels pe meditated.
Speaker 4: All right, please give this form of grub Hub driver and Khalieve Woods the sweet sounds of the Hamilton's police.
Speaker 2: You all, oh the day, oh the day.
Speaker 4: Ye Jimmy was disgusted.
Speaker 5: He the color of your They stop it.
Speaker 6: I just got one question that is so rude. I just got one question. How do you know what Saucy Santana looks like?
Speaker 4: Y'all don't have an imagination. I mean, come on, you don't have an imagination you see Saucy Santana. I have a vivid imagination. I was having the things that.
Speaker 5: Were pick now come on now, saucy Satan in the skims bodysuit.
Speaker 8: Yeah yeah, doctor, doctor who why had to be saucy? Why we couldn't say nobody else like Gaby, Like we can't say that. Why we gotta go to the street to saucy.
Speaker 4: I don't like objectifying women, objectified men in my old age.
Speaker 6: All right, well, thank you for that, donkey. Today it's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: Morning everybody.
Speaker 6: It's DJ Envy, Jesse, Larius Charlamage the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. We got a special guest in the building. Yes, indeed, journalist Michael Harriet and author.
Speaker 4: Welcome brother, Nice to meet you, medical commentator, a little bit of everything, Yeah, a little bit of everything on there on his belt.
Speaker 5: Native of South Carolina, of course.
Speaker 4: Of course he's got a phenomenal book out man called a Black af History, The Unwhitewashed Story of America. I started reading it over the holidays when I was on vacation, and it's one of those books that I've gotten a lot through it, but you keep going back because you're gonna have your highlighter.
Speaker 5: And you know what I'm saying. Constantly going through it tell her first of all, telling them what the book is about.
Speaker 9: The book is a look at America through black people's eyes. So we've seen books about black people through black people's eyes, and history books about America through white through the white lens. But this is about America through black people's eyes. And it's funny, you know, because I talk to people talk. I wrote the book like how we talk to each other. So you know, we could be at a funeral and be like, oh God, I can't believe she what that had so and so you know, it uses humor, it uses the way we talk to each other, and it shows and it pulls no punches and unwhite watches the mythology that we always been taught to believe since we got into social studies class.
Speaker 4: You know, I've always followed you on social media a teen writing on the grill, and of course you're very funny. But when you read the book, you realize, damn you had to go through a lot of trauma to get that sense of humor.
Speaker 9: Yeah, man, yeah, I mean I think I think that's how we all got our sense of humor, right, Like it's a it's a coping mechanism in a way man. And that's how a lot of why black people, you know, we relate to each other like that, because we deal with trauma in those ways and it's always been like that, I mean, since like you know, that's kind of how we created. Charlie Kase was the first stand up comedian and I write about it in the book, and his creating a stand up comedy was an effort to like get close to his father, who was.
Speaker 14: An albino man, an albino black man, and his.
Speaker 9: He was a mixed he was a mixed race and his mom, Erace told him that you got to live his wife and he his hero was his father. So that was a way to get close to his father because his father was a performer, and he invented stand up comedy to kind of connect himself to his community after he was removed from it.
Speaker 4: Such an interesting concept, right, because like when you think about black people in America, you know, certain people Jewish people have been able to assimilate by being able to change their last name.
Speaker 5: To read the story about the albino.
Speaker 4: Man who was able to assimilate, I'm like, that's it's an act of survival, Like why wouldn't you in that day and age.
Speaker 9: Yeah, man, that's what I talk a lot about that in the book, because we like when we talk about, for instance, slave revotes, we always like to talk about like how black people.
Speaker 14: Grab machetes and burn out plantation.
Speaker 9: But there were other ways of survival, like I called the chapter is called survival and resistance. So a lot of what we did was just for survival, right, like like for instance, slowing down your work. You might be mad at that slave on it, but you know what's gonna happen if you don't work, so you might just slow down. You might just run away for a few days, knowing you're gonna get caught. But like it was like what we would call it self care now, Like I know I'm going to get caught, but I'm going to die if I stay on this plantation one more date in a row.
Speaker 14: And so that notion of survival is a lot on how we deal with trauma.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 9: Like a lot of times when I see like black people assimilating into like what we call popular culture or like that conservative mindset, I know, like some of some of the time it's a way of survival. Now other times you see people buy all into it. Like I used to think Tim Scott, it was survival taken for Tim Scott. And then I realized, oh nah, he's starting to believe in right like he I mean, there was a shift because because I've talked to him before, right and and it was it was you always got the feeling that he was a conservative, a real conservative who was in the Republican Party. But like lately he just shift to shift it to like Maga Duke, like mag a black dude.
Speaker 5: You said he was embarrassing himself.
Speaker 6: He said, if I think you posted a clip on your Twitter said, if I send you a picture of Tim Scott, that means you're embarrassing yourself.
Speaker 9: Yeah, right right now, I mean, And then like I'm not one to always like perpetuate like what they call a democratic mindset, so I would always point out that Tim Scott, for instance, was the first, the only person for years pushing for police before him, like he heep tried to get Republicans to pass the Tim Scott uh the Walter Scott Notification Act for years and then something happened and then he like he they were on the doorstep passing police reform and Tim Scott sabotaged it because of like the most powerful man in South Carolina, this sheriff called Leon Lott in the police Reform, like one powerful white dude that nobody knows in the police reform and Tim Scott through Tim Scott White and lately he's just like stopped being that old Tim Scott and become Maga dude.
Speaker 5: I wonder about that, right, I agree with everything you just said, but I wonder if that is.
Speaker 4: Him trying to survive in a Republican party that is clearly being taken over by magat.
Speaker 9: But here's the thing that would make sense if Tim Scott was somewhere Like Tim Scott is a senator from South Carolina.
Speaker 5: There is no way he's at the country now.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but he's never going to lose if he keeps running, like ninety eight percent of one thing, people are like eight percent of all senators. When they leave the Senate, they retire. Like it's almost impossible for a sitting, sitting senator to lose. And Tim Scott is in a Republican stronghold. He's never going to be.
Speaker 4: Child if he got future aspirations though, if he has a future political aspiration.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but are there is there a political future after Donald Trump. Like, none of it makes sense, right, because he could be Tim Scott, the same Tim Scott he was before Donald Trump and still have political aspirations, right, Like, he might even be more popular with his party if he wasn't that maga dude. Right, he bought into a specific kind of anti black conservative ideology when he didn't have to, and that like, and you can see the shift, right, he's not even making sense anymore.
Speaker 4: He was a.
Speaker 9: Quiet conservative dude, and now he is a Donald Trump magamuffin, an acolyte of that anti black wing of the Republican Party.
Speaker 4: I agree with you, It just it just feels like if you're a traditional conservative like he was, the maga people make you look almost like you're leaning left. So I don't think he wants to look like he's leaning left in any way, shape or form.
Speaker 14: Yeah, but I don't.
Speaker 9: I don't think that's necessarily true because we you know, we hear that thing about like the traditional Republicans versus the maga Republican in truth right, right, But but that Maga thing, like it's just a little bit more anti black, a little bit more vocally xenophobic. But it's no policy difference, and Tim Scott didn't have to buy into all of that to like Tim Scott threw his granddaddy.
Speaker 14: My grandfather was an illiterate, poor tim daddy.
Speaker 2: And he wasn't.
Speaker 9: It was a lie, right, and and he did that to buy into that Republican not just the Republican ideology, but that Maga anti black version of black people that is necessary to perpetuate the myth of the Maga wing of the party.
Speaker 4: We are more with Michael Harriet talking to his new book, Black af History, which is a New York Times bestseller. We got more with him when we come back as the Breakfast Club, Yester World w Dangerous Morning Show, The Breakfast Charlamagne to God here, Jesse Hilarious is here, dj Vy is.
Speaker 5: Off to day.
Speaker 4: We're actually all off the days President's Day. But we have some conversations that you haven't heard, like this one right here, my man, Michael Harriet. Michael Harriet put out a book called Black af History. It is a New York Times bestseller. It tells the unwhitewashed story of America through the black experience, and he's here to talk about it.
Speaker 5: Michael Harriet.
Speaker 4: You know when I get on these platforms, I've been saying the same thing, like the whole electorate is dissatisfied, right, like you got you know, last yesterday I saw a poel said Biden would lose by I think forty points in a general election to Trump, and the polls are down for him with younger voters and independence and Latinos and Asians and black people.
Speaker 5: Why do you think it's just focused.
Speaker 9: On because you can't talk about like it turns white people off to even say the words white people.
Speaker 14: You can't talk about what white people are gonna do and like.
Speaker 9: And then again you have to realize this goes back to the original premise of the argument is that the Noakes News rules are ninety two to ninety four percent white. Those white people don't that's not a narrative. They don't even see things through that lens. Just like for instance, the New York Times doing that thing on Travis Kelsey's haircut. Right now, we as absurd as in all the jokes were right. What it really was about is that entire chain of command was given was was filtered through a white lens, Like there couldn't have been any black person as an editor in that newsroom, who said, what do you mean popular? Like like this care cult have been popular for a while. You now that lens is it's popular now for white people.
Speaker 6: I can just tell from that that, like we said this oneer, that they don't see us right, Like they don't open their eyes to see that we've had phades for.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but Mike, you make all skinfolk game canfolk right?
Speaker 5: They don't know about that fade but doing.
Speaker 9: But what I'm saying is I don't even care about what the white people in the news black people in the newsroom did, right. It is a white lens to think that something is popular now because white people see it all of this time from a white perspective.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I want to ask you something you was talking about.
Speaker 4: You know, when do you talk about Tim Scott do you think black people period right when it comes to Democrats are Republicans? Is there ever any reason for us to be acting the way he acts over politicians because black democrats. I'll be seeing the way these black Democrats act over the Democratic Party to it it all look the same, It's all the same energy of the I love you, like, do you think there's any reason for black people to be acting like that over any politician regardless of party.
Speaker 9: Nah, No, there isn't because but I think, like what Tim that little dance that Scott. First of all, I've seen black people do that over Democratic politicis. Like, I want to be clear, but the thing about black or I mean about black people in politics general, man, is a lot of times we don't realize, like black people have been through what like twenty elections in the history of black Like we were just able to vote like twenty presidential elections ago, right, Like wet.
Speaker 14: We did this twenty times in the history of black people.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 9: And the other thing is, though that a lot of that criticism is premised on the fact that the black people in the Democratic Party are cool with how the Democratic Party has worked, like we criticize it internally and amongst each other, Like we know that the white Democrats in the Democratic Party are racist too, Like they ain't less racist than the white people in the Republican Party, right, Like we know that and we have the same criticisms. Right, But I don't think you have to shuck and jive. What Tim Scott is doing is shucking in jibing.
Speaker 4: For Tim Scott, I agree with you, but I feel like so many black people have done that too. I'll give you some examples. Bill Clinton the first black president, uncle Joe by Like, God, damn, what have these men done for you that you called him uncle Joe and said that he's the first black president.
Speaker 9: Well, first of all, I think there's a difference, right, I don't I do in this sense, right, even though I kind of agree with you, but calling Bill Clinton the first black president don't do nothing right.
Speaker 6: But think about why they used to call him that, because he played the saxophone, and.
Speaker 4: Because he used to he was he was he used to smoke weeds, to smoke weeds.
Speaker 5: Like he was good with women. It wasn't even nothing positive.
Speaker 9: Well yeah, but I think a part of that was too, like he was a southern poor dude from the from Arkansas too.
Speaker 14: But I agree with you, like I don't.
Speaker 9: I don't think it was good to call him the first black president, but Tim, but Bill Clinton didn't win because black people were calling him the first black president.
Speaker 14: Bill Clinton.
Speaker 9: Joe Biden didn't win because people calling him uncle Joe. Tim Scott is trying to help a xenophobic, racist, anti black man win by dancing.
Speaker 4: He's not gonna win because Tim Scott was dancing them.
Speaker 9: But the attempt is and the fact that he is positioning himself, because Tim Scott really is positioning himself to be the black to be the VP pick I think had a hood but regardless of what it is, right like to be a bigger part of that anti black machine. Right Like the person who said to Bill Clinton is the first black president wasn't part of it. Didn't get a lollipop from the Democratic Party for it. They didn't get become part of the machine. Same thing with Joe Biden. It was just some dumb stuff that people were saying, you know, amongst each other and barbershops and everything. But it was congress people who said this to It was people, yeah, yeah, I mean, and I again, I agree with the premise. But Tim Scott is a single person, right, It's not we're not talking about like an etho. Tim Scott is a single person who is trying to use his blackness as a culture against black people by verifying and validating the most racist political machine in the country.
Speaker 6: Do you think people, do you think black people are politically fatigued, tied, tired of the selling the dreams, tired of the car sales people feel. Do you think that's going to stop a lot of people from going out?
Speaker 14: I think it might.
Speaker 9: Like one of the things that might is that at some point there is going to have to be a uh reckoning with the Democratic Party and saying you have to start giving us, stop giving us lip service, and start doing the stuff that you say. But one of the things that people said, well, we can't do it this year because what if Trump wins?
Speaker 5: They do they do that. That's what I'm tell us now.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 9: The second part of that sentence is that the difference in this time is a lot of black felks are gonna say, I ain't scared. He's already been Yeah, I lived through him once. Right, That's what might attract people to the college because we live through a Trump presidency. I agree that we're going to have to have a reckoning with the Democratic Party too, right, because it ain't nothing we can do. But I think it's wrong to equate the racism of inside the Democratic Party with the points of the Republican Party. Is white supremacy, right, Like, that's the goal is to keep power among white people, and they weaponize it with their policies and who they attract to their coalition.
Speaker 5: We got more with Michael Harriet.
Speaker 4: He's talking to his new book Black af History, which is a New York Times bestseller. We got more with him when we come back. It's the Breakfast Club, The Breakfast Club. Yester through Almost Dangerous Morning showed the Breakfast Club, Charlamagne to God. Here we're talking to Michael Harriet, the author of Black af History, The Unwhitewashed Story of America.
Speaker 5: I agree with you.
Speaker 4: I think that democratic fault though, because you know, they have demonized, they demonized every single Republican candidate every time it's an election. And now that there's an actual, real threat to democrat, real demon, we're like, ah, please, we didn't heard that story before.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 9: And then the other side of that, though, is they might can they might be able to fight that better if they said, hey, you know that demon, we got the answer to kill that demon.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 9: But the policies that we put forth, because it's not like black people have a new agenda. We've been pushing the same agenda for since, like the nineteen seventy nine Indiana Summit, Right, we were pushing the same agenda. Like that's why we kind of dismissed ice Cube, right because we knew that what he was saying was nothing. Why we want to rap a going to plead our case in the White House, Like we don't even want to vote for nobody who would even talk to a rapper versus somebody who would know our agenda policy wise.
Speaker 5: But you wouldn't want vote for somebody who spoke to a rapper.
Speaker 9: No, what I'm saying is, if you are going to make time to address black people's knees and you're going to invite someone to speak to you and see what you might be missing.
Speaker 14: If you invite ice Cube.
Speaker 9: And say like, that's the one who I need to talk to about what black people want, then you probably just a performative person who just trying to get votes and pander to black people.
Speaker 5: Whatever ice Cube got to bring the right people with them.
Speaker 4: I mean, I feel like that's where the entertainment and the experts go hand in hand, right, Like, if I get that invite, take somebody.
Speaker 5: With you who knows what they're talking about.
Speaker 9: Well, but here's the thing, right, if you are an expert who could really talk to ice Cube, wouldn't you have told him that, Hey, this tend already exists, Like they know about this stuff, like it was in the Tavis Smiley wrote about it, it was in the nineteen seventy nine political Black Slimmit. It's the same, like literally the same stuff, like the same bullet points, the same policy.
Speaker 14: Goals, everything.
Speaker 9: And if he had the right people around him, he would have been he would have known like, Oh, I what I'll do is I'll get behind the experts who have already been pushing this agenda then trying to make it about not just about himself but being mad when we didn't recognize the absolute unique genius of ice Cube.
Speaker 5: Right, I think we're saying the same thing though.
Speaker 4: It's just like, yes, these agendas have already been out there, but I think we got we gotta.
Speaker 5: Keep them in these people's facing because these people.
Speaker 9: Have every reason to ignore us, right, Right, But that's what ice why ice Cube should be saying, I am going to get behind these smart black people, right.
Speaker 5: Because instead of saying this is my agenda that I wrote.
Speaker 9: Or not even just saying that it is mine and right, like, just like ice Cube has a lot of capital in Black America, right, he could be uplifting some of the people who have been who are scholars, who are the people who have been doing the work for years and years.
Speaker 14: But Ice Cube said, I want to be in that room, and you need to talk to me.
Speaker 9: Ice Cube, right, And I think there's there's a bit of ego in that that it's to the detriment of black people, because let's say they did invite Ice Cube there, and Ice Cube said all the right things, like, don't just perpetuate the same myth that these stupid rappers and these stupid entertainers and many of them who haven't done the work, but they have good intentions, or the representatives for black people.
Speaker 6: What if Cube actually gets it done, like Kim Kardashian gets things that people say, she gets things done when it comes.
Speaker 5: I just saw something come out right.
Speaker 2: People have said that.
Speaker 6: People have said Donald Trump listened to Kim Gardashi.
Speaker 4: Before he listened to But there's women behind Kim that have actually done the work. But black women behind him. I can't remember since name we had him up here to sorry, two black females, Yeah, lawyer.
Speaker 9: And that is the point, right, Like, if ice Cube can get you into the room, I ain't got no problem with that.
Speaker 14: But when Ice Cube was told, Hey, you can't be in the room.
Speaker 9: He switched up and said, well, I can go talk to Donald Trump, and then he elevated the purveyor of the white genocide, the white replacement theory, Tucker Carta, went on his show when Tucker Castle didn't even have a toe holding media ice Cube helped him get that, help him gain the audience.
Speaker 14: Validated his belief.
Speaker 9: By saying, he gnave me racist because he's sitting here talking to this dude who is pushing an agenda for black people, right, Like that is why you don't want the people who are driven by ego in the room, because if they don't get in the room, right, he switched to.
Speaker 14: The enemy side.
Speaker 6: VILLI, So let me ask you a question. Right, So the Breakfast Club here has had hold.
Speaker 5: On I got to say their names, Brittany kboard Net and me Angel Cody.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 6: Yes, So the Breakfast Club has had politicians up here that necessarily weren't on outside right, Republicans here. So what your thought on that? Because a lot of people have said, why do you give those Republicans the platform?
Speaker 4: And if they don't already have a huge platform, why do you allow them up there?
Speaker 6: And have the MSNBC, Fox all why I'm up here, and have them few things that are not necessarily best for our community.
Speaker 9: So it's two sides of that, right Like, I think if you're going to have those people on, you have to be equipped to counter the narrative that you know they're going to push, right Like a lot of times again because the ego we think that I'm equipped, I'm smart enough to and it ends up being that person promoting the ideology. You're giving a person a platform to promote anti black ideology or anti black narrative. The other thing is that just like you said, they got enough platforms, right, Like, I don't necessarily disagree with the intellectual curiosity or the ability to say, look, I am probably what a lot of people will call progressive, pro black or whatever, and my viewpoint can stand up in the face of somebody like Nikki Haley or Republican, and I'm gonna show you that it can because I'm gonna have them in this space, right I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
Speaker 4: I think in this era, people like confrontation over conversation because what's the point of platform And democrats because when we have democrats up here. It's the same thing, just from a whole other side. It's people that say all they did was lie about this. All they did was lie about that. You didn't challenge them enough on this. You didn't challenge them enough on that. Literally the same thing. If you have Democrats on, you have some people that are mad. You have Republicans on, you will have people that are mad. There's not one politician I've ever seen come on, maybe like maybe one or two that actually made people.
Speaker 9: Be like, h what they said was actually, that's kind of how you know you on the right path if you in media right, like if you if both sides are upset by something you did, then you probably kind of were feir right. Like it's it's that I call it, like by doctor Umar. Thing like doctor Umar don't like me because I've been critical of him.
Speaker 6: Your wife, huh no, I'm sorry.
Speaker 9: But doctor Umar was because was mad at me because I was critical of him, like how he raised money and some of the stuff he said about gay people. And the reason people know that doctor Umar is doctor Umar is because I did the journalism and actually validated his PhD.
Speaker 5: So and people got mad at you for that and people was mad at me.
Speaker 9: The doctor Umar Haters was mad at me because you validating him. And what I'm what I'm trying to do is be fair right, and so if both sides are kind of mad at you, you probably know you.
Speaker 14: Were doing the right thing and you were at least fear.
Speaker 5: We appreciate it.
Speaker 14: I'm on all social media as m I C h A E l h A R R I O T.
Speaker 9: I write weekly, well three times a week for the Grio and have the Greeo Daily Podcast where I talk about the same stuff we're talking about here, not with guests, it's just me explaining stuff. So the Greo Daily Podcast you can find me on social media under my name on all platforms.
Speaker 6: Michael, and gentlemen, it's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, you're checking out the Breakfast Club owning everybody. It's j n V Jess Hilarius Charlamage the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. It's time for positive note.
Speaker 4: What we got I do, Man, I have a positive note, and it's really simple, normalized talking highly about yourself.
Speaker 5: I rate no small talk to self.
Speaker 4: Okay, normalize talking highly about yourself.
Speaker 5: You deserve it. Breakfast Club bites you y'all finished or y'all done.