Speaker 1: Hello, Puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler podcast, The Satisfying Swish after your Puzzle jump Shot. I am your host, AJ Jacobs, and today we have the wonderful Stephen Jay Dubner, host of Freakonomics Radio. Welcome Stephen, Thank you.
Speaker 2: AJM delighted to be in on the Swishing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely well. One of my favorite jobs ever in my journalism career was.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, Wait a minute of one of your favorite jobs?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, I also wrote the Advertiser of the Week column for the North Beach News, and that's hard to be because it was just pure sucking up to the advertisers. So I always love that there's no wall, but I mean advertising and editorial. But yes, after that, this was my favorite job. I was the live on air fact checker for a Freakonomics trivia show called tell Me Something I Don't Know, which is a hilarious show and you can go back and listen to it, and contestants would tell crazy facts and then judges would judge them, and I would very stressful job have to live google and see if they were telling the truth. So in honor of that, we have a fact checking themed game. Ours is slightly different. It's it's fifty percent as factual as tell me something I don't know. So I'm going to give you two facts, one is real and one is fake, and you are going to tell us which one you think is true.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love it. So my chances of being corrector at least fifty percent a nice way to start.
Speaker 1: There. You go in life exactly since his It's like being.
Speaker 2: Born with one really great parent and one that's TBD.
Speaker 1: I like that analogy.
Speaker 3: I got suddenly dark in a way.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: That voice, by the way, is Greg Pliska, who is our chief puzzle officer and who is going to be joining us because this is a fact checking show about puzzle information, so he's gonna come in with additional insights.
Speaker 3: It's like it's like I'm the TBD parent and.
Speaker 2: Greg, we will be the judge of that. Okay, very good.
Speaker 3: I also will say I just I mean, the only reason I'm allowed on for this episode is because I'm a former fact checker as well. I was used to be a fact checker who wants to be a millionaire for.
Speaker 1: Who wants to be a millionaire?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's almost as successful as tell me something I don't know. I understand.
Speaker 3: It's because you gave out the same size prize.
Speaker 2: That's interesting though. Thanks for I feel like I learned a lot talking to you guys. This is good.
Speaker 1: Well you're about to learn one real and one fake fact about puzzles. Okay, Where's Waldo has consistently appeared on the American Library Association's Most Banned Books because in one beach scene there is a sunbather and you can see her side boob, and some readers were offended. Or so that's fact one or fact two. Where's Waldo creator later admitted that he named Waldo after Waldo Grant and a famous American serial killer.
Speaker 2: Hmm, wow, those are both fantastic.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 2: I would like I would like them both to be true. You know, I have to say I know I know what what I know what Where's Waldo is a little bit. I know almost nothing else about it. I don't know about the creator, et cetera, et cetera. In terms of banning, I will say this as some who's written books before who have been banned in surprising places. It is always interesting how in your question about the banning, was there any context for where or when it was banned or for how long or how widely, or it just said banned.
Speaker 1: Yes, I didn't give you any more information.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go I want the serial killer to be true. Uh deeply, I'm gonna go with the sideboob ban.
Speaker 1: You are correct, you are one for one. I learned it when I was researching the puzzler that some woman and I forget whether it was Michigan or New Jersey, got very offended. You couldn't even see you can really see anything, because I mean you.
Speaker 2: Can barely see waldo, how are you going to see a sideboob? Let's be honest.
Speaker 1: But she was looking very hard and she found it. All right, are you ready for number two? I am the creator of the Rubik's Cube was actually color blind. The original design had textured sides. That's fact one or fact two. It took the creator of the Rubik's Cube an entire month to solve his own cube.
Speaker 2: Very nice. I want them both to be true. I want everything to be true. I like that about it because these are interesting, fact like things. I mean, it wouldn't shock me if, first of all, was the creator of the Rubik's Cube named Rubik a hungarian or something nicely done that just sounds hungarian. It is take a month to solve it, you know. I'm trying to think about how you would create the puzzle and then build the puzzle, and I could see it taking a month for sure. That but somehow that fact seems well, is that true or that that's the less interesting version. The more interesting version is that it wasn't color based. It was texture based, and I want that to be true, and I'm guessing because I want that to be true, it's not true. So I'm going to go with the month as the true.
Speaker 1: You got it, you got it. We don't give you what you want. That is here at the post.
Speaker 2: You know, I think the moral of the story is life is really interesting, but sometimes you want it to be even more interesting, but it can't.
Speaker 1: That is true. I will say, though, the fact that it took him a month is very inspiring to people like me who it took a long time, probably a little more than a month, but that now you can watch a YouTube video and do it a day.
Speaker 2: But still can I ask you, though, aj, I do like your texture idea.
Speaker 1: That was Greg, because Greg's I asked people that wrote fake facts and Greg came up with a texture.
Speaker 2: Well, so, Greg, I love that idea. Now I wonder, now that you've had the idea, is that worth doing for real?
Speaker 3: I'm I would be so right, So it hasn't already been. I would think there must be.
Speaker 1: I mean, there has been so many rub excuse there's monochromatic, you rub excubes. There's rub excubes the change color while you twist them, just to mess with you.
Speaker 3: Color monochromatic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's that one.
Speaker 3: That's easier to solve. For sure.
Speaker 1: That is easier to solve that one. I could do. All right, one more? Are you ready for your last one? Uh? Fact number one, a crossword puzzle maker during World War Two was arrested because his puzzles coincidentally contained secret code words about D Day, and the British Secret Service thought he was a spy trying to transmit the words.
Speaker 2: Okay, if that's not true, I really like whoever made that up?
Speaker 1: All right? Fair enough? Okay? And then the second but.
Speaker 2: You said coincidentally contained.
Speaker 1: I did say coincidentally?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, got it?
Speaker 1: So that could be true. It could be not. Second fact quote unquote, the CIA used hard very difficult crosswords as a recruitment tool, but they were too difficult and had to be discontinued. So fact one or fact two.
Speaker 2: Once again, one of the facts is more quote interesting to me, which would be the first one. But when I pushed back against it, I think, you know, maybe it's a little too good to be true. But then I also think, I mean, this is I'm sure I'm wrong here, But I think of all the things that changed during the Second World War because it was so intense and bad and vast, et cetera, et cetera. Like you know, I happen to be a a what do you call it football fan? NFL football, I'm as a Pittsburgh Steelers fan, and during the Second World War, briefly because they could field so few people to play and because everything was so diminished on the home front, they actually the Pittsburgh Steelers combined their operations with the Philadelphia Eagles and became the Steegels for did they really call it? They did? They really did. Yeah, it was a or didn't want to be the Eler the Eelers. Yeah. So when I think about the first potential fact, I think were there was there still a puzzle trade during the war, because I would think that, you know, if you had a good enough brain to make crossroad puzzles, that maybe somebody wanted your brain put to work on something slightly more more worthy. And so I'm going to go with the slightly more boring but still interesting. CIA fact is the one that is factually factual.
Speaker 1: Your logic was flawless and completely wrong. We got you, We got you that. Yeah, to be fair, that is semi trip in fact.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the British Secret Service did use cryptics as a as a screening tool for all the folks that worked on Park exactly. So that's based on some trueness just the different countries.
Speaker 1: But the first one is true, so sometimes the truth is more interesting. So your dreams come true. And yeah, this it was a British crossword maker and he used words such as utah Omaha, Mulberry overlord, which was the name of the whole D Day operation. So that freaked out the British Secret Service and they actually arrested this poor guy, and he claims it was accidental. There are conspiracy theories who say no, that he was transmitting information somehow, but there you have it. There, you'd had two out of three not bad.
Speaker 2: I'm really happy to know that fact and that it's real it is, and that he didn't do it on purpose allegedly I spent Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where can people hear more of the facts that are true on your show?
Speaker 2: Right in their headphones? And they can get their Freakonomics Radio we You know, if you listen to podcasts, which plainly you do if you're listening to the Puzzler, Freakonomics Radio is available on all the podcast places. But also if you listen to the radio, which a lot of people do. We're on a few hundred NPR stations across the country, and we're on Serious XM. We have a believe it or not, we have a twenty four to seven Freakonomics Radio Network channel on the SERIOUSXM app. I don't know what number it is, but if you happen to use the Serious XM app, not the one on your phone, not the satellite based car one, yeah, you can listen to twenty four non stop Freakonomics Radio Network.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm going to listen for the next forty eight hours.
Speaker 2: You are not you are.
Speaker 1: I am going to write that that is not a cheer a but I will say this because we always like to have extra credit for our listeners. Here are two facts one is not a fact one. King Louis the thirteenth of France employed a professional anagrammatist whose entire job was to make anagrams of the royal family. That's back one or fact two. Ts Elliott chose the initials ts instead of his full name because he liked that it made his name an anagram of toilets. So is it toilets or is it professional anagrammer? Thank you, Steven. Before we wrap up, thank you for listening. Please subscribe and we will meet you here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 3: Hello puzzlers, this is your chief puzzle Officer, Greg Pliska here with the extra credit answer from our previous show.
Speaker 2: We played a game we called ants in France with Stephen J. D.
Speaker 3: And each answer includes a word plus.
Speaker 2: Another word that has fr appended to it, the way that you get freakonomics from economics.
Speaker 3: So the clue we gave you was if the artist whose name starts with MC and is famous for his never ending staircase, if he wakes up from a nap, you might have a blank who is blank, and that would be an Escher who is fresher. Thanks so much for playing with us, Keep playing tomorrow.