Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the show, Ridiculous Historians. Thank you, as always so much for tuning in. That's our man, the myth, the legend, the one and only super producer, mister Max Williams.
Speaker 3: Who rah rah ray, No, you got it, you got it. Uh.
Speaker 2: They called me Ben Bollen for various reasons. That's the one and only, mister Noel Brown.
Speaker 4: Nol. How's it going, Bet? I got a question. Have you been Bolan before?
Speaker 5: I have never?
Speaker 2: Do you want me to give you like the kind answer? Yes, okay, uh, yes I have. It is the opposite of nominative determinism in my case, Nol. If you are listening to this, if you are ever in the same town as me and you need a little bit of an ego boost, you feel like you need a win, go bowling with me because you will be victorious.
Speaker 5: I am You're You're like, you're like the opposite of a ringer, I am whatever.
Speaker 4: The opposite of a ringer is yes, sabatteur. Perhaps, well, yeah, we have we.
Speaker 2: Have some real ringers today, right Because we were able to hang out with the Luminaries, one of our peer podcasts. Uh, the amazing folks Elizabeth Dutton, Zarreon Burnett, and super producer KG Dave at a Ridiculous Crime.
Speaker 5: It's true and we did something of a new thing for us.
Speaker 6: We've done, you know, our head to heads with our nemesis, the quizt We've done some quiz related to U with our buddy A. J. Jacobs, the Puzzler, but never quite fully a game show scenario.
Speaker 4: This is a little bit new for Ridiculous History.
Speaker 2: And credit where due our pals over Ridiculous Crime said, well, let's not just play historical flexes. Let's make it an actual like you were saying, make it an actual game. And it's a game that we think is going to continues. We're going to hear today, folks, is you're going to hear Nol and Max and Elizabeth and Zarin and Dave and yours truly playing a game called twenty questions question.
Speaker 6: Which is you know, I was familiar with the concept, but it never dipped my toe into the twenty questions pool before. And let me tell you there's some some refreshing waters in that pool. I really enjoyed the game very much and look forward to doing it again.
Speaker 7: But why don't we get right to it without further ado?
Speaker 8: Saren, Elizabeth, Ben, Noel Max. Do you know what's ridiculous? Six hosts, six hosts in a tiny.
Speaker 5: Gonna be some cross talk, y'all, it's gonna be some cross talk.
Speaker 4: We're doing our best. Wait wait, no, no, are we cross talking? No? No, no, just barely. We're not cross talking at all? Are you? Are you being serious? Yes?
Speaker 2: Well, there's it's a it's a it's a conversation, and it's conversation. Uh Noel Max, that that we might be interrupting. I believe producer Dave is setting up a thing.
Speaker 4: It's true. Carry on, sir Dave, were you setting up a thing?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 8: Sorry? Are you guys done?
Speaker 9: It's back.
Speaker 4: And that's what we keep talking. I keep talking over.
Speaker 8: I tell you what is ridiculous. Six hosts in a tiny little box going toe to toe in an attempt to determine which show reigns supreme. This is not ridiculous crime. It still may be a podcast about absurd and outrageous capers. Heis and cons. We'll just have to see. This is also not ridiculous history. Welcome everyone. What we have here is something extra special, as the presence of all these voices will attest. This is a little something we cooked up called twenty Ridiculous Questions. It's kind of I don't know, Ben, if you will allow me, it's the Ridiculous Beast with two backs, the history back and the crime back.
Speaker 4: Ew. I don't know how that third thing some sort of hybrid of all that that's also somehow really sticky.
Speaker 8: Before I continue, let's do introductions. So from Team Ridiculous History we have Ben Bolin, Noel Brown, and Max Williams. Welcome one and all. How are we all doing today?
Speaker 4: Anyway?
Speaker 8: Any want to give any speeches, any last words.
Speaker 2: I'm a big fan of Ridiculous Crime and want to shout out that show in particular, which may be somewhat redundant.
Speaker 4: But I'm not backing down from it fan, all right.
Speaker 8: And from Team Ridiculous Crime we have Zarn Burnett, Elizabeth Dutton, Emmy KG. Hello, what's the what's the KG?
Speaker 4: Dave?
Speaker 8: Oh? That's uh what? Kyle Gass from TENACIOUSD. He always says me, KG.
Speaker 5: It's me KG sucking up on them toes.
Speaker 8: That's you got it?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 9: Doing some push boyfriend? It sucks toes.
Speaker 8: Finally, here's the twenty twenty four now Friends. As far as the game, the game Friends is Pistols at Dawn, Well Ben Ben wanted pistols at dawn. Zaren wanted calculating pie to the most decimal places. That's right, No, I think you wanted Bakara. I don't even know what that is.
Speaker 5: I don't either. You guys know how to play Mancola. That's the one with the love that. Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 9: Used to play strip Mancola.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 6: It's one of those games where I don't fully understand the rules. I just kind of somehow I'm accidentally good at it.
Speaker 8: Zeron, I knew that was you've made.
Speaker 9: Yeah, right, you seen the video a while little while.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: So, out of all these wonderful suggestions, we decided on the game of twenty questions. More specifically, this is going to be a game of twenty questions about historical flexes. Now, keep me honest here. A historical flex is when someone makes like a zag instead of a zig, some kind of a bold move, something that wasn't required in their position, and that maybe it brought on consequences. Is that accurate or.
Speaker 6: Perhaps an absurdly ostentatious display of disgusting wealth.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, yeah, for instance, like when uh, when you are so wealthy that you trat you go on a road trip and you break the economy of countries while you're traveling.
Speaker 9: Right now, Monte Usa style.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, sir, yeah, see cloud outless moments.
Speaker 6: We've actually done this a different version of this with Miles and Jack from the Daily Zeit guys and Jack brought I think one of my favorite historical flexes, which is the little known fact that Charles Darwin ate every animal that he studied, documented good wow dedication.
Speaker 10: That's disgusting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a flex may be not necessarily imbued with some kind of absolute moral right or wrong.
Speaker 4: Right the most you know, exactly God. Also, another fun note about Charles Darwin.
Speaker 11: Is when he discovered the Glopagos tortoise, he looked at it and said, I'm going to try to ride one.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm going to write it. Then I'm going to eat it.
Speaker 6: Darwin also a big foot fetish guy, little little known luke of his day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, indeed, real Maverick.
Speaker 8: Anyone here, a big twenty questions player anyway, like got some to question skills built up.
Speaker 9: Oh, I played it on my phone against friends.
Speaker 5: Yes, I only vaguely understand the concepts.
Speaker 6: I've never participated, so I'm looking forward to hopefully getting to see you guys do it right before I screw it up.
Speaker 2: Most of my friends, President Company excluded, are incredibly sketchy, so every conversation is a bit like twenty questions.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 8: As far as where the game comes from, there's some dispute as to where it originated, but the oldest reference seems to be in eighteen twenty two, which was when a Scottish teacher named William fordce Mavor Mavor Mavor who knows who cares, offered it up as a way to pass the time before TV and electricity and readily available recreational drugs.
Speaker 6: So for Dice like a street name because he carried around for Dice in his pocket.
Speaker 2: It was like his ancestors street normalized into a middle.
Speaker 4: Name, just a name. Yeah, okay, fair enough.
Speaker 8: So then you fast forward like twenty years later, it shows up in the US, and then it took off like wildfire. It even became a very popular quiz show in nineteen forty nine. Unfortunately, so none of you can cheat. Most of the episodes were lost when the studios wipe the tape to use it again for something else, which is outrageous, right, Like, so many beautiful live recordings have just been lost this.
Speaker 10: Way, so many questions.
Speaker 6: Was this the era of the Great Quiz Show scandals where they were all like fixed earlier?
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, forty but that one was like forty nine to mid fifties essentially, so probably, yeah, gets right in there.
Speaker 4: I wonder if A. J. Jacobs is a fan of this game. I'm sure imagine. Yeah, he probably has a book about it. Yeah, probably way better than anything you would write, Dave, Do.
Speaker 10: We have like rules regulations for this or is this just the wild West?
Speaker 8: I am glad you asked them. Before we can rumble. Let's set some ground rules, all right, So the teams are pretty clear, right. This is head to head, ridiculous crime versus the ogs, the goats, ridiculous history, and score will be kept just between those two entities. So ridiculous crime versus ridiculous history. Each of us will take a turn doing what we call being the flexer. And since you can't see in the audience, I'll represent to you that each one of us are doing our best bodybuilding superposed right now, signify flex That person takes a historical flex in mind a person that did something, and then what they did. All three members of the other show's team can question them until either they guess correctly or their twenty questions run out, so they can ask up to twenty questions. The questions can be yes or no questions, and acceptable answers are yes, no, I don't know, maybe, or you're so far off that you should really ask a different kind of question.
Speaker 4: Very generous. Yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 8: So if the team correctly guesses the historical figure who did the flex, we will award them one point. If the team is also able to guess what the flex itself is, then it's at the discretion of the flexor. They can award any amount of points additionally or no points, and at the end of questioning, the flexer will reveal their historical figure and the flex and tell us a little bit about it. So that's how it's going to go.
Speaker 5: Any questions, is there a flexi or just a flex or?
Speaker 10: I think that the questioners are the flexi, yes.
Speaker 5: The question yeah, just getting the term straight. I'm good.
Speaker 2: Is there a time limit for the twenty questions.
Speaker 10: Well, I mean we don't want to be here.
Speaker 9: Yeah, my next birthday next?
Speaker 8: Okay, Zara, what is your next birthday?
Speaker 10: Time?
Speaker 9: August?
Speaker 4: But you know hey same yeah, same shout out.
Speaker 9: Okay, good summer babies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, So then we can we can just feel it out. We can vibe together on that.
Speaker 8: Take the journey with me.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, I want you to live your truth.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you guys will be first. Dave, you want to go be the first flexer?
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's right. So the way this will go is it'll be a round robin. Everybody will get a chance to flex, and when one person's flexing, the three members of the other team will get They all get to ask questions. So, starting with me, we're going to start the invisible clock that doesn't exist. Go ahead and guess the historical flex I have in mind.
Speaker 2: Question one? Is this person alive?
Speaker 4: Now? No? Okay?
Speaker 5: Was this person elected to some political office?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 4: Was this person born in America? United States for America?
Speaker 8: Yes, So that's three.
Speaker 4: That puts us.
Speaker 2: That puts us three questions, three questions. Yeah, keeping count ate along at home as well, think you thank you?
Speaker 4: Eric?
Speaker 2: Okay, uh, did this person have siblings.
Speaker 8: Uh, good question. I am gonna need to check my notes on that.
Speaker 6: Well, I would argue that if you don't know, they probably weren't noteworthy.
Speaker 8: Yeah, no, they do not.
Speaker 5: Was this person known for killing someone?
Speaker 9: Nice? Shorthand? Uh no?
Speaker 5: Why did you have to pause? You think that would be a definitive yes?
Speaker 4: Or no? Alright? Max has got one, Mexic got one. I don't have one. I'm counting the number.
Speaker 9: I got the question. You can think we want your question? I got the number.
Speaker 4: Are we are we allowed to discuss amongst our.
Speaker 8: Conversation?
Speaker 4: That doesn't count as question six.
Speaker 9: Though, No, you get to ask questions.
Speaker 8: That's five more questions.
Speaker 4: Genie rules, y'all for another wish alignment? All right, what you got?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm thinking, okay, so is this person known for a single historic act?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 4: Right, no guice? Sorry?
Speaker 5: Was this person in uh films?
Speaker 4: Yes? Was this person born in the nineteen hundreds?
Speaker 8: The nineteen hundreds?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 8: Okay, I'll even give you the date, nineteen fifteen.
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, Charlie Chaplin, no is that?
Speaker 4: Sorry?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: No, no, they're letting us back because I was thinking the same thing. Okay.
Speaker 12: Uh so.
Speaker 2: Is this person well known today?
Speaker 9: Yes, so we're calling that your ninth question. If that if Knowles was reeled back, Okay, it was really good, Thank you, very gracious.
Speaker 6: Is this person mainly known for being a star of film?
Speaker 8: It's a tough call. I'm gonna say no.
Speaker 4: Oh sho, Okay, is this.
Speaker 2: Uh uh? Keeping a Does this person identify mail?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 8: Did since they were deceased?
Speaker 4: Did since they were dead? Okay? Did the person? Oh?
Speaker 5: Sorry, sorry, Max, you got to give us one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, internal discussion. Is it Howard Hughes?
Speaker 4: So let's see, it's not what well, so it's not filmed.
Speaker 5: They were in film though you said they were in films.
Speaker 11: And it put us and put us somewhere like this. I looked up Humphrey Bogart. That was eighteen hundred and.
Speaker 2: No, but he said it was looking stuff up.
Speaker 4: Where was that? That was? No?
Speaker 5: Phones? Phones, phones faced down?
Speaker 4: We are we are a show built around research. I researched it.
Speaker 6: Was Yeah, but from run Dave said that this person is not known exclusively for being a film stars, so it wouldn't be a Bogart type figure. Howard Hughes type figure is interesting, but he wasn't in films he just directed.
Speaker 9: Yeah, okay, I got which, by the way, I didn't know at all until I watched The Aviator for the first time recently, which is a very good film. Okay, he was an innovator of films, like, he.
Speaker 5: Really did all kinds of crazy stuff, and he was articulously clean.
Speaker 8: For a while, like tissue boxes.
Speaker 9: And a lot of jars.
Speaker 2: Okay, was this male historical figure also active in the world of music?
Speaker 8: Yes, that's question twelve.
Speaker 4: Okay, question twelve, thank you? All right?
Speaker 2: So, yes, so I'm thinking then, was this person someone with ties to organized crime?
Speaker 4: Question thirteen reputedlyted.
Speaker 2: Okay, we got seven questions left you guys, Oh oh yeah, Max, ask.
Speaker 4: Is this person Frank Sinatra? Yes?
Speaker 9: Questions maximum?
Speaker 4: I came is fun y'all? Wow, Okay, we haven't guessed the flex.
Speaker 8: Yes, So for an unnamed amount of additional points, can you guess the flex that I have in mind right now?
Speaker 4: That's how life was kind of a flex. That guy was time super problematic flexes too.
Speaker 6: Let's see, I don't know if I know of one that I would have associate with the idea of what we're talking about.
Speaker 4: Word winging musician street name Old Blue Eyes.
Speaker 6: Is it something to do with with with with like luxury type of situation?
Speaker 8: We're no longer in twenty questions?
Speaker 4: How can we? How can we? Possibly? We just have to know everything about.
Speaker 10: I guess, take a guess.
Speaker 11: It's sort of like, did he have a freakishly large penis that he needed additional space.
Speaker 4: In his pants? So nan, what better guess do y'all have?
Speaker 2: Was he was he involved in some sort of government operation?
Speaker 8: I don't know, but that is not the flex.
Speaker 5: That wouldn't be as.
Speaker 4: We just want to hear it. We don't know. Yeah, what's the flex?
Speaker 8: The flex is Francis Albert Sinatra did his own stunts and Mentorian Candidate, and as a result either broke his hand or his wrist, and then he couldn't play Dirty Harry Harry Callahan in the Dirty Harry movies.
Speaker 6: What, Yeah, I didn't know he was in the Manchurian Candidate. I never think of Sinatra as being an actor at all.
Speaker 9: Really, Yeah, Also a bunch of movies he wanted Academy War actors.
Speaker 4: I have no idea.
Speaker 6: Yeah, isn't it funny how sometimes you can just really have like a blind spot for like certain things. I mean, you know, we we researched and talk about stuff like this all the time, and I just zero awareness that Sinatra was in movies.
Speaker 2: I also propose a port banteau if we're if we're interested, this is a flex had consequences for Old Blue Eyes. So what if we call that a flex sequence?
Speaker 8: Nice, very flexoquent. Yeah, a little bit more color. So if you've seen the movie, Uh, he smashes his hand onto a table, and that was really him smashing his hand onto a table. Nancy Sinatra says he broke his finger. Other sources say he broke his wrist, but they all agree that it never healed right. And so he was actually attached to the first Dirty Harry movie for six months. And he gets in and they show him the three fifty seven magnum and he picks it up.
Speaker 9: A big gun man.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and he says, and Zaren will do a better Old Blue Eye than me, but he's like, I'm afraid it's a little too big for my hands. I did find a quote from Eastwood to confirming this, because I wanted to make sure this wasn't a bunch of bs. Eastwood said, I was in post production on play Misty for me, and they called up and asked, are you still interested in Dirty Harry? Eastwood recalled, I said, what happened to Frank Sinatra? And they said, Frank Sinatra's got some problem with his hand and he can't hold a gun. That sounded like a pretty lame excuse, but it didn't matter to me. I said, I'll do it. But since they had initially talked to me, there had been all these rewrites. I said, I'm only interested in the original script, a.
Speaker 5: Cloud that's a flex in and of itself.
Speaker 6: I actually saw Dirty Harry for the first time recently and again Blind Spot. I had no idea how tied to the Zodiac Killer. Yeah, it's sort of featured in Zodiac in the Fincher movie. They go to like the premiere and then some of the detectives are like, guys, it's over.
Speaker 4: They already made the movie about it.
Speaker 10: Well, And there was some talk in the local, like in the scene, that maybe this would draw him out for more communications because there had been a gap.
Speaker 6: Oh you guys are in Zodiac country.
Speaker 5: Yeah I am.
Speaker 8: And when Sinatra couldn't do it, they're really scrambling and so Yeah. A couple other actors turned it down because it was like all too weird and conservative for them. Like Steve McQueen was also approached for it, and he was like, I already did a detective movie and this is doesn't fit with my with my feels.
Speaker 10: Can you imagine the Steve McQueen dirty Harry movie.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine a Frank Sinatra.
Speaker 2: A part of me is now always going to be a little bit imagining the Steve McQueen.
Speaker 10: Dirty Oh yeah, totally.
Speaker 4: I'm just sharing that now.
Speaker 5: I need to see Bullet. Have you guys seen Ball?
Speaker 10: Yeah, a couple of years ago on the big screen.
Speaker 9: Yes, one of my favorite movies of all time.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it was amazing, the chase scene on a big screen.
Speaker 9: The sound is engine.
Speaker 10: If you ever see it playing like at an art house theater near.
Speaker 9: You go watch it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, really like Drive.
Speaker 5: So I think Drive was highly inspired by Oh yes, oh.
Speaker 9: Yes, pretty much every car chase since nineteen sixty nine has been inspired by Bullet.
Speaker 4: Too true, Too true.
Speaker 2: We also we did not get our wild card point for people playing a log at home. We had check me Yar's eron. It took us fourteen of our twenty questions to yeah to nail Nail Old Blue Eyes aka frank A. Sinatra, for a grand total of if you could get a drum roll one point, Paul.
Speaker 10: I do want to point out that I, you know, was suggested that maybe half a point if you if you guess, and then I was like, I just no rules.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just whatever be rewarded for guessing and fewer questions.
Speaker 10: That just feels, you know, well, we can start where everyone starts with negative twins.
Speaker 9: More emotional badge of pride. It's like you can just collect like, you know, we got ours and fourteen took you guys nine.
Speaker 10: Well maybe the team with the lowest number gets an extra point at the end for that having that that low score, low questions.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's up to your discretion. You could give five hundred points.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can also just m p r p rrit and just you know, sort of like wait, wait, don't tell me, just kind of have a good time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Zaren, will you will you?
Speaker 6: Will you leave an outgoing message on my answering machine.
Speaker 8: I just got a text. It's from sponsors. They want us to take a break.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay, Like as people are as a show just both.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they said, hang it up, this isn't working, so let's do that. And when we get back, we will have been as the next flexer.
Speaker 2: And we have returned. Folks, as always, thank you for joining us. This is this is round two. We're in the Luminaries of Ridiculous Crime. We'll have twenty questions to guess an historical flexer, and perhaps indeed they're flex Now. I'm gonna be honest, there's a weird one because you guys are experts, so I couldn't make it like too too easy. I'll start off by saying it is not carot.
Speaker 8: Top Oh, okay, scratching out for your yeah.
Speaker 9: Oh, let's see for a first question, Elizabeth, you like to the first ones? All right? The first question is is the was this person an American?
Speaker 4: Uh? Yes, lived in America, lived in America.
Speaker 10: Gentle phrasing there.
Speaker 4: Okay, Uh, I'm very mpr with these.
Speaker 10: Was this person alive to see baseball?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 6: Like professional baseball or just like stickball in the alley.
Speaker 2: Some some form of baseball? What about plastic? Give me give me just a second on that one. Let me go back through my notes. That's a good question. I got to learn more about plastic. Uh, I'm going to say, no, not called the grastic the way we know it.
Speaker 9: Okay, yeah, okay too.
Speaker 10: Well, if we're talking about.
Speaker 9: Plastics, are basically World War two, so being yeah, this person is stayed between the eighth nineteen nineteenth century and up to nineteen thirties.
Speaker 10: Well, vaccolate was early that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's the beginning of plastics.
Speaker 8: So we ask about wealth.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, go ahead, Da you got a shot, dave?
Speaker 8: Uh did the I don't want to I don't want to throw away my shot? Was this person part of the elite wealth class?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 9: Okay? Was this person born in Europe?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 10: Born in Europe? American citizen ballpark range of no, pun enchanted? What years?
Speaker 9: What we say we don't have a front end, we'd have a back end. Was this was this person alive before the camera? It was invented in eighteen thirty nine?
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, okay?
Speaker 9: Was this person they lived a long time? If they made it to plastic, right they didn't? Oh so plastic?
Speaker 4: Oh so they did plastic as we know on the other side.
Speaker 10: Oh okay, okay, okay. Was this person famous for their knowledge?
Speaker 4: Could you be more specific.
Speaker 10: Was this person a scientist?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 8: No, Was this person a military leader?
Speaker 4: Also?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 9: Was this person a woman?
Speaker 4: Yes? M so this will be questioned, ted, yes, correct.
Speaker 8: We have nine so far and we have I've got a naw down to two people, so this should be easy.
Speaker 4: Nice.
Speaker 10: Was this person controversial in her day?
Speaker 4: Yes? Yeah, that was a good one.
Speaker 10: Uh zerend have a question?
Speaker 9: Was this was this woman associated with a political movement?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna not really No, no, Noel, Max, Would you guys be comfortable say no on that one? Just to check me here?
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, I would be comfortable. I forgot who who?
Speaker 4: You have? So? Great? Great?
Speaker 10: But whatever it is, sure this is this is a peculiar one.
Speaker 9: We've got nine guesses left.
Speaker 10: Okay, so what with our parameters we're talking about a woman born.
Speaker 9: In Europe becomes an American? Was alive in the nineteenth century?
Speaker 10: Controversial but controversial? Was this person an entertainer?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: No, I mean this is to be clear, this is a bit of a tough one. So one hint I would give you is this is an excellent subject for an episode of something like Ridiculous Crime.
Speaker 4: Slightly deep cut.
Speaker 9: Figure, deep cut figure criminal pop possibly or overlapping with crime.
Speaker 10: I am having a how many questions.
Speaker 4: Have we had so far?
Speaker 9: When we've done twelve questions? Thirteenth question?
Speaker 8: Yeah, what about asking about whether they were convicted of federal charges?
Speaker 9: There you go?
Speaker 10: Or any charges federal or state.
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yes, uh convicted And I'll help you out here because this is a tough one convicted and then ultimately fled the US.
Speaker 9: Hm hmm.
Speaker 10: I'm having a hard time on this one. This is very Was this.
Speaker 9: Person married to a fame anybody famous or that we would know by name?
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: No, she's sort of the protagonist I think of her story.
Speaker 10: Okay, not an entertainer.
Speaker 9: Did this person do any violence in their lifetime? Any like notable violence?
Speaker 4: I would say ordered it? Yes, yes, but not directly perhaps right?
Speaker 5: That should be a decent hint. What kind of figures order of violence?
Speaker 9: So mob boss, crime figure?
Speaker 10: Like?
Speaker 9: You know?
Speaker 10: Well, I'm still I have a guess and one of the questions knocked my guess out, but I'm still it lines up. And do you know if it's someone that we've talked about on Ridiculous Crime?
Speaker 4: Is that a question?
Speaker 2: I looked, I looked, but I'm not sure we can count that.
Speaker 4: We can count that as a procedural.
Speaker 10: One five questions left.
Speaker 2: And also, by the way, already got a half point with mob boss because it's a tough one.
Speaker 3: Oh so mob okay, since I can just give away, you gave you the birth year of Frank Sinatra, so that was helpful.
Speaker 9: Let's see Mob boss women ordered hits and had to leave America.
Speaker 10: So are we guessing Italian, Russian, Cuban?
Speaker 9: Yeah, Colombian said they were born in Europe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but this is that was just a really cool as of r moment.
Speaker 5: I've got the tangles.
Speaker 10: Okay, so I'm thinking, okay, possibly Italian. Yeah, I mean, no offense, not to paint with a broad brush.
Speaker 9: Of course. But then also we have to keep in mind that there were a lot of British and French criminals who would have Mob qualified as mob Yeah.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, mob might be a little broad could Irish?
Speaker 10: British?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Maybe like gang boss gang boss.
Speaker 9: So let's think famous or semi famous gang bosses of the nineteenth century.
Speaker 10: Who were born in You're born in America.
Speaker 9: I went back, God, did this woman have sons?
Speaker 4: Oh? I believe there was some family.
Speaker 9: Like the son's part of her legend, Like the sons are important to who she.
Speaker 4: Was, the sons are not part of Okay, where you're going for left? Yeah?
Speaker 10: Yeah, so she committed, she orders a crime, orders crimes done, and then has to flee back to Europe. And we're talking about the century.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be.
Speaker 9: Russian, like a white Russian who knows, I mean said it was difficult. So yeah, I'm thinking British is my I'm leaning more British than anything.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, not to be a wet blanket, but I would argue that if you can't think of the person now, you might not know the name off the top of your head.
Speaker 4: Question.
Speaker 10: I thought it would be Dave.
Speaker 9: You got any want to we want to pair it down a little bit. We got four questions.
Speaker 8: Let's see. I would say, you know, I don't have good guesses, so it's I'm just like, yeah, it's like parameters, like.
Speaker 10: I hmm, all right.
Speaker 9: The people the person that she allegedly ordered stuff done too? Were they also famous? Would we know them?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: They would often be h some of the uh, some of the better off people in New York.
Speaker 10: Can I take a swing at this?
Speaker 8: Sure?
Speaker 10: Is it Emma Goldman, Oh no, it is not. The Only thing that doesn't.
Speaker 9: Fit is the ordering violence.
Speaker 10: No, she that was her whole thing.
Speaker 4: She ordered violence.
Speaker 10: The only thing that doesn't fit is gang. And I thought, well, if you talk about.
Speaker 9: I mean, she didn't she instructed and urged violence, but I don't think she ordered. She did not directly to me. She didn't tell like, hey, Steve, come over here, hit that persons were like, go to their door, knock.
Speaker 10: On their door. When she had them after the Mill people, she specifically had Okay, all.
Speaker 9: Right, I'll give you that.
Speaker 8: It's the game within a game, you know what.
Speaker 2: You know what I'd like to do if the group is okay with it, I would like to say, Emma Goldman, is such such an astute, wonderful answer. It is not in fact this person, but this person is again a very difficult uh bit of a deep cut.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go ahead and give the full point, just because this one was so tough.
Speaker 4: And your guess is.
Speaker 9: I don't know, we got to guesses.
Speaker 13: Well, all right, mob, but gang gang I think also because I'm a Goldman, I would say it was associated with political movies.
Speaker 9: That's why I asked that question. Yeah, I think like who'd be like union movements that aren't political or like.
Speaker 10: Labor there and everything's political.
Speaker 9: Elephants, right, you know.
Speaker 10: Forty Elephants were totally a gang, but they're not totally and they weren't never in the US.
Speaker 9: I'm saying, but that type of mob boss would be something yea. So we got two guesses. Came in America, probably in New York. They were in New York trying to do violence. So who and who are the New York we got like Queenie, We've got.
Speaker 10: Uh, well, if you're talking about gangs before the twenty and gangs in those times were pretty much relegated to cultural groups, nationality.
Speaker 6: We're almost like a Fagin type figure, you know, background in like textiles, ran the shop from like kind of like a you know, ran the business, the illegal business from.
Speaker 4: All right, I got one?
Speaker 9: Was it Sadie the Goat Faral Sadie Farre Sadi the Goat Farrell.
Speaker 4: I don't know, no, no, but I'm loving it. Question my team.
Speaker 9: I don't know, guys, all right, we got we got one last guest who wants to take it?
Speaker 3: Dave?
Speaker 9: You feeling hot? Elizabeth?
Speaker 8: I got kissed.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I don't have anything for this one.
Speaker 8: Was it Rose? Was her first name Rose?
Speaker 2: No, but I like that shot from half court.
Speaker 9: We can see this one, you.
Speaker 5: Got it is a pretty good old lady name.
Speaker 2: Though half point because this was so tough and because purely, fellow ridiculous listeners at home at half point, purely because of the absolute top notch caliber of questions here. The person we were looking for was someone named marm Mandlebomb. Frederica marm Mandlebomb. I'm doing trivia voice there, sorry, but but so uh Mandelbaum Mandelbaum. It's very interesting that history has largely forgotten this quite successful criminal she.
Speaker 9: Ran.
Speaker 2: She ran one of New York's biggest fencing operations, like from eighteen sixty two to eighteen sixty four. She was also she had other gangs that she was fighting with, but she was helping coordinate things like the Ocean National Bank robbery. She was also she was born in Germany. We don't know too much about her early life because, surprise, surprise.
Speaker 4: She was a little bit sketchy. She made it.
Speaker 2: She made it to the US with her family or with her husband, Wolf Mandelbaum, who he's kind of both as sort of a milk toast in this story. But she gets there. She gets to the US in eighteen fifty and she has a dry goods store, so she has a legitimate operation and as a small business owner, she has the opportunity to turn stuff around. Part of the reason why pow Noel is saying she's a fake and esque character is because she started a school she institutionalized teaching kids how to be ne'er do wells at her pickpocket pocket.
Speaker 8: So no murder.
Speaker 4: Involved with her, she did.
Speaker 2: She dead end up being arrested, uh, because she just got out of hand. She just blew up in the big Apple so much that eventually, you know, the New York District Attorney was like, hey, we got a high the.
Speaker 4: Pinkitons my goodness. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So she gets released on bail after she's arrested with your points Aaron, her son's her son Julius, and then another guy's working for named Herman. Once she gets released on bail, she does exactly what everybody thought she would do. She high tails it out of the United States. She skidaddles with one million dollars in eighteen eighty four and settles in Hamilton, Ontario shout out to your reference about throwing away the shot Dave, where she remains until she passes away ten years later. So I think, as a fan of ridiculous crime, I thought this would be like a great episode.
Speaker 10: Yeah, looking definitely definitely.
Speaker 6: Ben would the would the Flex be the pickpocket School or what would you?
Speaker 2: I mean it's so oh yes, thank you. The Flex is the pickpocket School.
Speaker 9: I love that she started basically an elementary school to teach thieving and street crime. I mean she's like Mother Marshmallow, but instead she just like, come under my dress and I will teach you crime and take care of your children. Let's go, man man.
Speaker 6: She was often referred to as mother, Mandel mom or Marma.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and.
Speaker 10: You guys haven't ever mentioned them on one of yours shows? Mentioned her on your shows?
Speaker 13: Right?
Speaker 2: We had a show called on our another show we do called stuff they Don't Want you to Know. We we explored, we explored her life and we sort of put it under the umbrella of conspiracy. God did conspire to start like oh yeah, crime elementary you.
Speaker 10: Know, wow, wow, wow wow, that's amazing.
Speaker 8: You know what I think this party could use. What's that day some really good ads like oh she got oh yeah, I got some in the oven.
Speaker 4: Excellent flex those ads.
Speaker 10: All right, guys, we're back twenty questions. So what's our score.
Speaker 9: Now is I've got it as two to.
Speaker 10: Half two to half okay.
Speaker 4: Oh I thought I had it as one day.
Speaker 9: Because you beat us.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and that's only one point.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and they got Frank Sinatra, so that's two points.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 8: No, the Frank Sinatra is one. If they guessed his flex that would have been another.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and then we did we did not get their answer, right, so they get one point for that.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Oh, I have it as like you only get points when you're thinking guessing.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, they got they get points for Traditionally, twenty questions, if you stump the person, you get a point. So for stumping us they should get a point. I would say, so it would be two to half.
Speaker 10: According to my we got the pity point five.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that he gave us the pinion.
Speaker 4: It was not a pity point five.
Speaker 9: We're trying to find a way to give it back, but we appreciate it.
Speaker 4: I like how. I also like how we're all out nice in each other. Then try to give you all a full point, and y'all said, no, we're not thinking any sticking point, and then you settle for half that on the record, right, Yeah, I mean if.
Speaker 8: They wanted to profliget with points, sure, absolutely, Like what are my main points?
Speaker 2: Well, we we're all being nice now, but we may encounter we may encounter quite a plot twist and turn, depending on how Max Nol and I do.
Speaker 4: In the next rou Oh yeah, it's going to get ugly.
Speaker 10: All right. So I've got that, I've got this in my head, and I am ready for questions.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm counting questions here. Let's go with this.
Speaker 2: Does this individual identify as male?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 6: Is it George Washington? I'm kidding, it doesn't count that it was just a call back to President what?
Speaker 4: Okay? Was this person a elected official?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, okay. Was this person born in the nineteen hundreds?
Speaker 10: Yes? No, sorry, I'm seeing nineteenth century.
Speaker 2: Now, okay, okay, okay, okay, we know that now, okay. Uh Is this person known for uh scientific breakthroughs?
Speaker 4: No, it's this person a criminal?
Speaker 12: Uh m hmm yeah yeah, okay, okay, okay, I'm going to put yes, but with an audible are you keeping a spreadsheet.
Speaker 10: Then I do want to I do want to just have one.
Speaker 9: Cap ya, please qualify that all.
Speaker 10: Of your questions have made one assumption that is dear, but go ahead.
Speaker 4: One assumption that is incorrect. This is a person? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think that would be because looking back through the rules.
Speaker 9: Is that is that? Is that a question?
Speaker 4: Max?
Speaker 5: What could the assumption be?
Speaker 10: Well, I don't know. I mean, I'm just I'm just telling you is I think the assumption.
Speaker 4: Is that that can they be not a person.
Speaker 9: They could be historical.
Speaker 2: It could be they specifically put creature into the room.
Speaker 10: And there's another assumption. Think you came in, you came in with some implicit biases.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, my mind is running wild.
Speaker 5: Is is this uh figure a famous animal spy?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 13: Damn it?
Speaker 4: I like you to do Okay, I should have just asked if it was an is this figure a human being? Will burn that one just to get a clear Great, there we go.
Speaker 9: So I have you guys had seven questions asked?
Speaker 4: Yes, this will be our eighth question. So does that mean? Okay?
Speaker 5: A criminal though a non human criminal.
Speaker 4: They're like, don't we.
Speaker 11: Have stories that are pasted about like goats and stuff being arrested as like, we had an animal personhood episode, which unfortunately I was also on vacation.
Speaker 4: No help on that episode, just gone on that one.
Speaker 11: But I remember we had that episode about all the animals that committed crimes?
Speaker 2: Was this individual creature? Was this creature of mammal?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 9: Yes, probably?
Speaker 4: Okay? Is this that elephant that got electrocuted? I was thinking that Jumbo.
Speaker 10: No, no, no.
Speaker 9: You mean like by Edison, like when he went to edge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, when he was trying to hype up the Yeah, what a terrible guy that what dude.
Speaker 5: Was how can an animal be a criminal?
Speaker 9: Lots of ways?
Speaker 6: No, yeah, an accomplice perhaps that's one way. Trained like counted this internal convo, this internal discussion, U table, We're welcome. Just feed us some good intel while you're in here.
Speaker 5: Jesus.
Speaker 9: They walk across the set and just stand there. I'm on the Jenkins family.
Speaker 2: Now there's another implicit assumption that we haven't tackled. There's a second when we didn't get you guys, which is, let's see a creatures.
Speaker 4: So we got that aquatic that they actually.
Speaker 8: Mammal it was on earth. I'll give you that hand, Jesus.
Speaker 4: Water water dwelling.
Speaker 10: Oh is that your question? Yeah, it is not a water dwelling.
Speaker 5: Not not a water not.
Speaker 10: A water dweller.
Speaker 6: That's question ted land mammal, So what do we got here? What what kind of land mammals are capable of doing?
Speaker 4: Cron So we have I'll pack the list, name them all.
Speaker 11: She sure, Yeah, we can ask if we could ask it. So this is just amongst us. If it's a New world or an old world monkey.
Speaker 4: The term new world's kind of problem. Yeah, so I can't pay, We won't ask that.
Speaker 6: I'm picturing the murderous ape from that Edgar Allan post or murders in the room wort spoiler alert it was an ape.
Speaker 4: For some reason, I just had I've had a dog in my head this entire time.
Speaker 2: But yeah, oh okay, yeah, let's just let's burn a couple. Getting closer to the type of animal.
Speaker 4: Is it a primate?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 2: No, all right, helpful, it's not a Pepperino elephants?
Speaker 9: Did you say Pepperino? Is that a question?
Speaker 4: Pepperino a dog?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, it is?
Speaker 4: Okay, yes, how many questions?
Speaker 9: We're at? Twelve? Will be you have thirteen? Yeah, thirteenth coming.
Speaker 5: Wasn't there a dead dog that was shot into space?
Speaker 4: Yes, that's way different. Is way different?
Speaker 9: Well, this is eighteen hundreds, and technically that's not across crime was done. It was a victage like it was that was just trespassing in space.
Speaker 11: So it's a dog that did some sort of crime. But we also have an assumption that we are forgetting about that.
Speaker 10: I can't remember an additional assumption that.
Speaker 4: We have not address.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I got it. I got him down on like a fourteen.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's all right, fine, even though we we established it was the eighteen n.
Speaker 5: But there's nothing just screaming to mind right now?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 10: Do you want to hint?
Speaker 8: I think we should get me.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you have mentioned my flexer on your show. Whoa wow, the words have passed your lips.
Speaker 9: So you guys have said this out loud?
Speaker 4: Is this? Uh? Wait?
Speaker 2: No conversation personal? Did we already ask about America?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I think did we?
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm totally down to pull up our comprehensive meta sheet. Right, we're not doing that? Okay, No, I won't tell you that I'm doing it. No, you already don't.
Speaker 5: Don't don't don't be like it's not funny.
Speaker 4: It so much more fun.
Speaker 6: We did notablished it was America European.
Speaker 5: We established that then I feel like we did. We should remember, we don't remember were useless.
Speaker 4: We did not.
Speaker 2: The reason we feel like we established America is because we we had that quick question on George Washington words, yes, picturing.
Speaker 4: A European dog for some reason. Is it a vegetable dog?
Speaker 9: What's vegetable dog?
Speaker 10: Like a dog traumatic brain injury?
Speaker 2: Like so like the it's a it's a terrible practice where they had to where they made dogs live, turning spits to cook meat.
Speaker 9: No, no, no, it's not a vegetable dog.
Speaker 10: No, I'm going to charge you two questions?
Speaker 9: Oh I did I as fourteen questions? You've got six lefts.
Speaker 8: You just walk around with your brain, all right, So what's.
Speaker 9: Your fifteenth guess?
Speaker 4: I am hitting over.
Speaker 11: We had that episode, guys, with that two part episode we did about hero animals.
Speaker 5: But this is a criminal who criminal?
Speaker 9: Why can't a criminal and a hero be the same person? Episodes or hero Robin is a criminal who is a hero? I mean what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, same with Cara Top.
Speaker 11: Unfortunately for that episode all I can remember is the hero cats. So I'm no help here.
Speaker 9: Oh you were really good, but I didn't.
Speaker 10: I didn't answer that question. What I'm saying, Ben.
Speaker 9: You got anything hand up?
Speaker 4: Was this? Was this?
Speaker 13: Uh?
Speaker 2: Was this unfortunate dogg o arrested by political authorities?
Speaker 10: Yes? Although political what do you mean define political authority? Like elected officials or like I would.
Speaker 9: Say, I just go with they were elected, they were arrested by the authority. Yes, in the traditional sense of what we would assume that means. Yeah, I just I have no idea because.
Speaker 4: I was thinking, no, Max, I was thinking, was.
Speaker 2: It ecclesiastical authorities or something like that?
Speaker 9: No, this is not an excommunicated dog.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: Was this like a Joan of archetype dog? Yeah, heretic dog. You know what I mean.
Speaker 11: I'm just gonna say, I'm pretty certain it's one of the animals we talked about in that two part episode.
Speaker 9: Is probably where do you want to ask?
Speaker 10: That is a question.
Speaker 4: This is internal, intermpletely.
Speaker 9: Comfortable.
Speaker 4: We got a chair for you.
Speaker 9: This is sorry, Sorry, what am I doing? So dave me back.
Speaker 11: Unfortunately, I can't remember all the animals we talked about. I remember our whole second part was just about that cat that lived on the boat.
Speaker 4: That I don't know right now. Well, no, I'm talking about the whole episode. Yes, okay, okay.
Speaker 10: Well that's not the episode. Save you some time.
Speaker 4: That is actually very wonderful. Thank you.
Speaker 10: You're very welcome.
Speaker 6: Okay, I got nothing, guys, And also with you more questions, many more questions to week five questions.
Speaker 4: We have five. I'm burned one right now.
Speaker 11: Was I the producer of Ridiculous History when we talked about this animal? Oh, because it would be April twenty one when it became twenty one twenty one.
Speaker 10: Yes, yeah, Max, you were the producer.
Speaker 9: Okay, four questions?
Speaker 4: Okay, that gives us down to three hundred episodes. Wow all the time, barks all right.
Speaker 6: I don't know, guys. I don't want to burn any more questions. I feel like I think dogs.
Speaker 9: Dogs. You guys know dogs. You like dogs that impress you?
Speaker 4: Dogs.
Speaker 9: I like your fear.
Speaker 4: That's a problem. I like every dog.
Speaker 9: Sorry, am I you're not helping. I like every dog. I bet they moved the table this time?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 2: No? Because Noel, you already asked about Spike or trade craft.
Speaker 4: I did. Yeah, never mind, I'm cursing.
Speaker 6: Now, I'm pounding my fists on my desk.
Speaker 4: Very quiet.
Speaker 9: He's going to get another part.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. Guys, do you want to do you want to call it? I feel like our guesses are good.
Speaker 4: Guys. Let's throw some hell.
Speaker 10: Man feel too bad about being obscure, seeing as how you've said it before.
Speaker 5: No, No, that's fair, that's fair.
Speaker 6: Would this dog be considered after the actions that took place some sort of like political symbol?
Speaker 4: That is our question?
Speaker 10: Seventeen kind not really kind of okay, cultural a cultural symbol.
Speaker 11: Did this dog commit crimes against a baby?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 10: I want that on a shirt and.
Speaker 9: I want to know how that could be a hero and a criminal.
Speaker 8: But stop that baby?
Speaker 4: Okay, I know there was a dog that did something wrong to a baby.
Speaker 10: Crimes against a human baby?
Speaker 9: Oh wow?
Speaker 4: Geez?
Speaker 9: All right, you got two more?
Speaker 4: Yeah, two more?
Speaker 2: Was this dog the subject of a widespread cultural panic?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 9: No, I got one. Last one. I'll get I'll give you one hind.
Speaker 10: Question.
Speaker 8: Was this dog in the band widespread panic?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 4: Lies?
Speaker 5: Was this Was there a film made about this dog?
Speaker 4: No, that's a bummer. Think that is? What did you do?
Speaker 10: What did you just say that's what the film made.
Speaker 6: Then your reaction, Oh, I said, that's a bummer. Okay, it feels like this animal clearly deserves it.
Speaker 10: Well, I'm going to tell you the story.
Speaker 4: Okay, Oh, here we go.
Speaker 10: Of Bummer and Lazarus.
Speaker 4: Are you serious?
Speaker 9: Serious?
Speaker 10: So everyone knows the iconic San Francisco skyline. You know, you got the Trans America building and in that area. When we go all the way back to the eighteen sixties, there was a man, Emperor Norton. You guys had an episode about.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, oh yeah, yeah, and then show.
Speaker 10: You mentioned his dogs Bummer, and now is a passage Bummer and Lazarus, and Emperor Norton again declared himself Emperor of the US Protector of Mexico. He was always seen in the company of these two dogs, Bummer and Lazarus. He wasn't their owner, though, because these were stray dogs and they were two of hundreds in the city at the time. And so on a cold day eighteen sixty one, a terrible dog fight broke out on a street in San Francisco. It's vicious big dogs attacking a smaller dog. Big dog takes a bite out of the smaller one's leg. That small one just yells out, yelps out. Another dog comes running in, breaks up the fight, bites the bully dog, drags the injured dog into a doorway and the two of them huddle there. And so the savior dog that's Bummer, Bummer was called Bummer, who's a big black and white Newfoundland mix. Bummer would go around to all the saloons in the Barbary Coast begging for food, and people would feed him and he'd sit there and eat, and then he just known all around town. Well, so Bumber still goes around to the saloons, gets food, but takes it to go. He takes it out to this dog, this injured dog, and they sleep in this doorway for a few weeks while the bite heels. But everyone's like, this dog's not going to recover, but the dog does, and Lazarus was reborn. And then these two become an absolutely paired duo. They go everywhere together all the time. And this is one hundred and sixty years.
Speaker 9: Ago, Doggy life partner.
Speaker 10: So what's their flex? Their flex is that they had a skill that wound up saving their lives. They were so good at ratting that they became in demand pest control in like the filthy streets of San Francisco. So in one instance they get called in to control the rats in a hotel. The dogs enter the building. Twenty minutes later, eighty five rats are dead. And because it is everyone loves them, but there's trouble, there's trouble on the horizon. So stray dogs are totally out of control in San Francisco. There's hundreds and hundreds of them, and so animal control is like taking them in at this exponential rate, and then less than ten percent of the ones they take in or ever claimed. So the Board of Supervisors they pass an ordinance animal control. You got to go out round up as many as possible, any dog without a muzzle or a leash on and if someone claims them, they have to pay five bucks to get them out of pound. If no one claims them, the cops shoot them on site.
Speaker 4: Damn geez rough.
Speaker 10: So immediately people in the area, they're worried about Bummer and Lazarus. You know, they lived on the streets and they liked it that way. They could never be owned. And people were right to be worried, because pretty soon poor Lazarus. He gets caught. Luckily, someone steps in pays the five dollars. But this outraged the people of San Francisco. They petitioned the Board of Supervisors to exempt Bummer and Lazarus from this death order, and so they have a meeting to hear this petition. Bummer and Lazarus go to city Hall and they're gathered in the doorway, just like they did when Lazarus was healing, waiting to hear their fate inside the chambers and the city fathers they listened. They declared Bummer and Lazarus city property, companions to the city itself. So there are big flexes where we you know, we're not going to be killed. We now are belonged to the entire city.
Speaker 9: The whole city's.
Speaker 10: Best because we kill some. And then like a week later, they totally prove their worth because the two of them stopped a runaway horse cart on Busy Clay Street. They one on either side, they run along. Bummer gets out in front, slows the horse, a man jumps on is able to pull the reins back, and there are all these other stories of their companionship and their antics, and then their eventual passing was like city wide morning when each one finally went. But it's a solid canine flex. You kill some rats, you get exempt from the death penalty, and you belong to the City by the Bay and you become legends.
Speaker 4: Well beautiful.
Speaker 2: I also have to say, just in the interest of fairness, rats are very intelligent creatures and they probably have their own stories.
Speaker 10: But oh, I'm sure, but they're also filthy.
Speaker 4: Yes, that is true.
Speaker 2: Existence requires us. It's existent film. But do we get a half point for that half court shot and noll through with Bummer?
Speaker 10: Of course?
Speaker 9: Geez, yeah, totally.
Speaker 4: I have to jump in here so I can get a max with the facts in it. On this episode.
Speaker 9: That sneaking in the phone and peace fallen knowledge just for you. Right now here we come back with the.
Speaker 11: Fact there is actually a dry gin titled Bumber and Lazarus with the dogs on it, and one of the dogs even has a rat.
Speaker 10: In the and apparently they were just terribly ugly, but everyone just loved them to death. And so Bummer and Lazarus, those are my dudes.
Speaker 9: Your phone gets and he drops in the knowledge.
Speaker 13: Just for you.
Speaker 9: So good, there we go.
Speaker 2: Amazing, Elizabeth, amazing like, thank you for And also it looks like if I'm keeping score here, if we're if we're playing log, you'll also get a point for I would suggest that Ridiculous Crime gets a point for stumping us. Yes, and then and then we get a half point because no, man, you won't.
Speaker 9: Okay, So do you want to compare notes? Ben, I got us at two and a half, you two point five, us one point five. So two and a half one and a half.
Speaker 2: That's where I've got us as well as are, which I think means we have to continue this in another episode.
Speaker 4: Let's make a week of it. You know what I mean?
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 9: You'll have idea.
Speaker 4: I can't wait. I can't wait.
Speaker 2: You guys, thank you so much for having us over here on Ridiculous Crime.
Speaker 10: Thank you for joining us, thank you for showing, and thank you for having us on Ridiculous Sisters.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's the secret third thing.
Speaker 9: We found a third place.
Speaker 4: What a time peak.
Speaker 2: Backstage, folks, we were all pretty certain that this was going to be a collection of like a couple of self contained things. But we had so much fun that we are going to keep this going, isn't it right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Well, actually Max and I and also Zarin have our own historical flex figures in mind. So we're gonna record that episode very soon and you'll be hearing it very soon as well. But in the meantime, huge thanks to everyone involved, to Elizabeth to Zaren, to Dave, to super producer Max.
Speaker 4: To Bummer plus you know.
Speaker 11: I guess what a weird piece of old history. Do you remember when we did that crossover with pods yourself a gun?
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 11: We're also Spring criminals. We never did my part and I still have that. We still about that Pocket Baby about Really it was about really stupid criminals, that's right. Basically mine was about these two that they decided that they were going to be I don't like, kind of like Boondock States type of people, like they were going to go and knock off all the mobsters vigilantes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but they were also mobster.
Speaker 11: They were stealing their they were knocking out the big try to knock out the big people to steal their territory and did not end well for them, as you probably guess.
Speaker 2: And speaking of criminals, of course, thank you to Jonathan Strickland aka the Quister, who's been running our complaint Department.
Speaker 4: For lo these many years.
Speaker 2: Uh big big thanks of course Alex Williams who composed this track. Huge thanks to everybody for tuning in. If you have not had the pleasure of checking out Ridiculous Crime, get thee to thy podcast platform of choice. It's a kick butt show.
Speaker 6: Oh you must, get you to a podcast tree. We'll see you next time, folks.
Speaker 5: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.