Speaker 1: Hello, Puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler Podcast, the pickhardy third at the end of your baroque puzzle fugue. I am your host, A J. Jacobs, and today's guest is the amazing Stephen Dubner, author, journalist, host of Freakonomics Radio. Welcome Steven, Thank you, Jim.
Speaker 2: I'm puzzled over a piccardy third.
Speaker 1: This one was from Greg.
Speaker 2: Can you spell all those words? A pickhard?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 2: How many words is that? First of all?
Speaker 1: P I c ar d y third. Greg is a musician, so he likes to throw in some. I write some and Greg writes some, and the others write some. But this one, I'm guessing was a Greg right.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, a picardy third. Oh named after oh yeah, Tiers di Picicardi. Of course. Of course, now it all is coming together.
Speaker 3: Everybody knows old tiersa come on. Well, at the end of some fubes that are in a minor key, when the last chord turns into a major chord, that's party. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like that. I'm all about the positive resolution.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 3: If only the world would stay with you, we'd be happier of a human SUCCESSCT.
Speaker 1: Well this this episode is going to end in the major key. Don't worry, because we have a puzzle, one of my favorite types, which is fine, the hidden Link, and I am going to turn it over to Chief Fuzzle Officer Greg Pliska because he actually researched this hidden link and wrote the clues, So Greg, take it away.
Speaker 3: All right, Thank you, Aja, and welcome back Stephen. Fun to be doing this.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. Greg. I'm excited to hear about this hidden link of yours.
Speaker 3: In its simplest form, we're just giving clues to some words, and we make the clues really hard to start with than they get progressively easier, so we you know, you could struggle a little.
Speaker 2: Bit, so you can break my sc crush.
Speaker 3: You on the last chance we have here. And then each of the words that we have clued in the end will have something in common, so the final question will be what do those answers have in common? But on simplest form, it's just a little you know, just some words identify the word quiz.
Speaker 2: I am I am pro word and if you get them on the first clue, we will all be annoyed. So I should pretend to be stupid, because I'm really good at that.
Speaker 3: Perfect These are intentionally we start with some hard, obscure clues and then we work it, you know, make it easier. So we got so let's try this. Here we go adom see hominy is a current?
Speaker 2: One see hominy. Yes, I'm gonna try to break this down a bit here. O is A is A is a current onesom current one's current?
Speaker 1: Do any of the spelling n O R O D O M s I R O d A M.
Speaker 2: O N I sorry, spell s honomy again?
Speaker 1: You're not You're going down a dead end here. That's not gonna There's nothing in there.
Speaker 2: I think, is it is? Are these should I be trying to spell them backwards? Perhaps?
Speaker 1: I think you can just give up.
Speaker 3: Okay, I suggest we got four clues.
Speaker 2: Let me hang. If it's a current, it's impossible, I'll take I'll take it in this kind of homony is a current, super size ocean going cargo carrier from the Faroe Islands.
Speaker 3: I like this eity of that. You were going to be right until you went to Paraoe Island, and now you're all no. I will say that might be true because I don't know all the cargo carriers from the Pharaoh Islands or anywhere else. But that's not the answer we're looking for. Let me give you your next clue. In French playing cards, these were named David, Charles, Caesar and Alexander Alexandro.
Speaker 2: I would think that would be the king.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go, that one got very easy. King is in fact the answer. So yeah, Norodom, See how many is the king of Cambodia.
Speaker 1: And I shouldn't say it's a possible. There are many people who know.
Speaker 2: That, and he's probably not a big cargo.
Speaker 3: Carrier, probably not, but there might be one named for him. So we want to assume sure nor Adom Cianook was the king or president of Cambodia during the Vietnam War. I believe so. Some scholars of that war might have gotten it there. But then the clues get easier. The piece that was known as the shah in an early form of chess, and finally the royal title given to Lebron James or Elvis Presley, which you know, king would have been the giveaway. So that's your book.
Speaker 1: Didn't even need them all right, So far King is we're number one.
Speaker 3: Here's your next here's your next word. Larval stage of a fish. It comes after the hatchling stage and right before the fingerling stage.
Speaker 2: M A fingerling is that I only knew the potato fingering. I didn't know the fish fingerling. Okay. So it's something between egg and fingerling.
Speaker 3: In a fish, actually between hatchling and fingerling. So we've already gotten out of the egg.
Speaker 2: Stage, hatchling and fingerling. And it's not a guppy. That's not the technical term melsing. Something between Let me think the hatchling and the fingerling I would call. Oh, I know, it's called the squibbeting.
Speaker 3: I don't think we can say that on family radio, can we.
Speaker 1: You said it with such confidence.
Speaker 3: I like it. Okay, let me give you your next globe. The vocal register characterized by creaky sounding speech, by creaky sounding speech.
Speaker 2: Oh, small fry a fish.
Speaker 3: So vocal fry is the correct answer? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is vocal fry a register?
Speaker 3: Yeah? When you try to speak so low that your vocal cords, we can hear those vocals.
Speaker 2: Wow, the stuff you guys know I'm learning today. Thank you?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, So you have king and fry, and those are two words they have something common. And by the way, if you do get it, I love that, but maybe don't even say it out loud. Just tell us how smart is it?
Speaker 2: Charles's Pan Fried Chicken on West seventy second Street and sight of the best fried Chicken on the upper west Side? Is that the answer?
Speaker 3: No, I'm hungry now.
Speaker 1: And yeah, now I want them to be a sponsor.
Speaker 2: Can I just say I have no affiliation with Charles's Pan Fried Chicken, but I can vouch for it.
Speaker 1: Love it.
Speaker 3: You're their best customer. All right? Here's your next one, defining profession for a leader of the Hanseatic League.
Speaker 2: I should know what that is, shouldn't I?
Speaker 1: I don't know if you should. I didn't you know.
Speaker 3: I thought this might be something you'll get.
Speaker 2: On the first one, I read a lot, and I forget more than I have read. Even I'll say diplomat.
Speaker 3: Nice guess, not correct, but well played. Here's your second one. The only profession named in a shakespeare play title.
Speaker 2: Hmm, would it be the merchant of Che's.
Speaker 3: If you close, I'm not sure why it got That's like twist the button? Why not? Yes, it is, in fact merchant merchant of Bennett.
Speaker 2: Okay, so if I'm keeping properly. Oh sorry, j A J. King, fry merchant.
Speaker 1: That's it. That's all I was going to say.
Speaker 2: And I think now we put those together to turn it into like something.
Speaker 1: There's something those all share in common. Those those words share something in common. And yes, there's going to be one more thing.
Speaker 3: One more Okay, here's your last one. It's a word derived from the tamil or sauce or relish for rice.
Speaker 2: A sauce or relish for rice, tamil. I'm guessing it's not chutney, but it could be chutney.
Speaker 1: Sounds a little chutney.
Speaker 3: It's not chutney.
Speaker 2: Is it buttony? Is it cutney? Is it fluttney? Is it umney?
Speaker 3: We know you like R Well, I'll give you the I'll give you the next one, next clue. According to the Smithsonian, the earliest type.
Speaker 2: That they know nothing, Yeah, nothing down there?
Speaker 3: What are our sources here? The earliest types of this date to twenty five hundred BC in India and include ginger, garlic, and turmeric as the ingredients.
Speaker 2: The earliest version of this yeah this include include ginger, garlic.
Speaker 3: And term those are the ingredients. In twenty.
Speaker 2: So it's some kind of sauce. Am I correct?
Speaker 3: In a sauce.
Speaker 2: It's a sauce. It's a non chutney sauce. Is it a Is it a curry?
Speaker 3: It's curry, exactly.
Speaker 2: Like curry, curry in a hurry? Do you guys remember curry in a hurry? Now on twenty eighth Street.
Speaker 3: This is this becomes the Stephen depp Dubner restaurant recommendation.
Speaker 1: You got anything else? Yeah, all right, So now you have king of Fry, merchant, and curry. All of those have something in common, and we are here to give hints. We are here because these are the kinds of things that it sort of snaps into place like a magic eye, or it doesn't.
Speaker 2: So it's definitely not snapping for me magically.
Speaker 1: Well, I will say that we would only be giving this puzzle to you or the co author of your book book for economics, We could give it to him.
Speaker 2: So I'm guessing these are therefore words that coalesce around something that is within freakonomics.
Speaker 3: Is that on the cover on the cover of Freakonomics for sure? Still's was one of the other words we were going to clue here.
Speaker 2: Oh, these are all Stephen, I should know da step Oh. But Steph Curry is not Steve.
Speaker 1: He's a Stephan. He has spelled st he has spelled the.
Speaker 2: Expells it the way I do. But can I tell you for the past, like fifteen years, when I've written my name on something where someone asks you to write your name, I would say eighty five percent of the time. Now, when it's then called out vocally, I'm Stephani.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And for a while I would say, oh, actually it's and then I just realized, like, why what am I Why? So now if I care enough to have it be called out properly, which I don't usually, then I just would write it with a V because I like Steph Curry's kind of the way that language moves. Right, whae changes. He took my name, he made it a new thing. He's way better at almost everything than I am. I think it's good.
Speaker 1: So you are officially now Stephan Dubner.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, if I'm concerned about the future of Stevens, I would much rather them evolve in a Darwinian way as Steph Curry, because he's he's just better than.
Speaker 1: Me, all right, So Stephan Dubner, there it is before we go. We like to give a little extra credit to our puzzlers at home, so I'm not going to give a whole one, but you have one.
Speaker 3: Well, I have a twist on the extra credit. Great, I can do it.
Speaker 2: I love when you two fight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mom, Dad going at it.
Speaker 3: How many US president surnames are also on capitalized dictionary entries? M and I will I think four that are super common, and then there's a couple more that are less common or maybe a little British, and I believe there's two more that are more obscure. So but without looking them up, which are the presidential surnames that are also legitimate lowercase dictionary entry?
Speaker 2: That's a really good one. I have to say. I put McKinley in my stew just this morning.
Speaker 3: So oh really, I think it's much better with Truman.
Speaker 2: Truman's a little spicy for me. I'm be honest with you.
Speaker 1: I will say one last fact because I cannot resist, because I've been researching early America, and when they were deciding what should be the name of the president, they were all sort of, there's his excellency. Then one of the proposals was Washington, so it would be almost like a Cizar is like Caesar his name for Caesar, so it would be like we would have had Washington Obama, Washington Trump, Washington Nixon, so that could have been a lowercase Washington Jacobs Washington Jacobs willan never.
Speaker 3: Have someday some day.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you all for tuning in, and come back tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 3: Hello, puzzlers, this is Greg Pliska up from the Puzzle Lab with the extra credit answer from our previous show. We played a game with Stephen Dubner that we called fact checking, and for the extra credit we gave you two supposed facts, only one of which was true. One of those was that ts Eliot went by TS because he liked that it made his name an anagram of toilets. And the other, which was the true statement, is that King Louis the thirteenth of France employed a professional anagrammer whose entire job was to make anagrams of the royal family. I like to think of I lived back then, that would be what I would be doing today on King Louis the Thirteenth's favorite podcast, The Puzzler