Speaker 1: Hi, Hello, welcome. This is Let's talk about miss Baby and I am that host of yours, she who loves a good chat about nerdy shit live. Now you might be thinking, why is this episode out on a Thursday instead of a Friday? Or now you're thinking, I don't know what you're talking about. It's Sunday Live, Like it doesn't matter anyway. Either way, Today's episode is coming early to make room for a very special project that's gonna drop tomorrow. Today. I am joined by returning guest doctor Jeremy Swist, who knows all things about the Emperor Julian. That's right, Rome, but kind of not never heard of Julian. Yeah, I hadn't really either, because he comes after Constantine and in my head, that's the time when I stopped caring because Christianity. I'm sorry, but I'm not actually, but no. It turns out Julian was the one emperor who wasn't keen on old Jesus and tried to bring the empire back to its pagan roots. Needless to say, that didn't work, but we still have some of his work and he's interesting. Today's episode looks at what this work of Julian is all about this specific work, the Symposium of the Caesars, sometimes called the Handful of Other Things. We will get to that, and Jeremy has put together a full cast recording of his new translation of that work, which is what's coming tomorrow, a full cast dramatic reading of this work by Julian. It is so fun, and if you listened to Tuesday's episode you got an idea of what that is. I put in like about a minute. I think it is of this recording because it is just so much fun and I want to get you all pumped. But today's episode is a conversation looking at what this work of Julian is all about. But as a sneak peak, just to get you intrigued, I will just say now that it is a conversation amongst dead leaders of the ancient world and Greek gods, and things get heated and weird. It's incredibly fun. But Jeremy and I today talk about translating that work, and then the project itself, the casting and intention behind it. It's a long standing idea and project that is finally being realized, and I am lucky enough to be bringing it all to you tomorrow. Jeremy and I had a great time talking about this and the piece itself. Oh it's just so fun and different, like you were going to love it. So here's my conversation with Jeremy, and you can find the Symposium of the Caesars a full cast dramatic reading in your podcast feeds. Tomorrow Conversations a bunch of rulers sit down for a chat Julian's Symposium with doctor Jeremy Swist. So yeah, like let's just dive right in. Like we talked about this last year over Chinese food in Victoria when we first met in person, which was just so fun, and then now it exists, so I love, Like I just I'm gonna tell the listeners a reminder of like you literally were like, so, I have this idea about recording my own translation of something, and I was like, I love. I love when people translate something and then give it to me to use because I can't just like use any translation and that's always my hurdle. So you you were just like gave me such a thrill of information. But then also I knew absolutely nothing about this myth source, Like I mean, it's I mean, I was about to like make some claims as if I understand. But basically what I do know is that julian is not only Roman, but so late in antiquity that he's so far beyond my usual interest realm that I just had no idea. And then you told me all these things, and I was like, well, this sounds incredible, So why don't you give us maybe start with like, who the hell Julian is?
Speaker 2: Right? Well, Julianne was a Roman emperor who reigned only a very short time, as you know full soul Augustus about twenty months from three sixty one to three sixty three CE, though he had also been a junior emperor, subordinate emperor called a caesar since three point fifty five, kind of subordinate to his cousin Constantious the Second, who in turn was the son of the emperor Constantine the First, who reigned a much longer and before that, and who was known as the first emperor to promote Christianity as as a favored religion of the empire, and so and his son's Constantius the Second, especially who succeeded him, also took part in that project of favoring Christianity, promoting Christianity at the expense of traditional Roman pagan religion. And what happens is that when Julian succeeds Constantiosis second as emperor, Julian in fact kind of comes out and says, oh, by the way, I am no longer Christian. You know, at some point when he was in his probably his early twenties, he encountered in his education a number of neo Platonic philosophers and a specific school of Platonism that was that actually rejected and was saw itself as incompatible with Christianity, and saw that Christianity was actually a threat to the essentially the fabric of the cosmos, because they saw traditional Greek and Roman religion as actually a way of making sure that society functions, you know, with kind of order and peace, and people become become virtuous through the piety toward the gods, and in return, the gods will you know, grant victory to the Romans, will make sure that, you know, the crops grow peace and there's peace and prosperity. And they saw Christianity as not a traditional religion. It was, you know, this kind of newcoming religion that they didn't even worship gods. They worshiped some man who died, you know, and they saw there was just just said, no connection to kind of the traditional religions and rituals that the gods themselves had, you know, prescribed through oracles and other forms of revelation, you know, way back in furthest antiquity, and so Julian undertakes a program of trying to kind of dial things back, to bring back and restore and favor the cults of Greece and Rome and other you know, native traditions throughout the Empire, which he saw as all essentially compatible under one sort of grander philosophical view, and he saw Christianity as not something that was actually could be compatible with that.
Speaker 1: Okay, sorry, I want to I just I want to hear everything, but I also just have to step back and be like one, this is like all I knew about him was that he was like pagan amongst Christianity and thus interesting to me. But also I just have to say that describing Christianity as a as a threat to the cosmos is like so relevant, Like I mean, there's it's not irrelevant even today, I would argue, and I love it so thank you. That's why Julian is certainly interesting, so I do want to hear about what he did like other than that, but I'm very much more interested in the whole like saying no to Christianity and apparently failing at it, But I love that he tried.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know, there's lots of questions about you know, whether his program of you know, read the restoration of traditional religion you know, would have been successful. The thing is is that he died in battle against the Persians, you know, twenty months into his reign, and happened to be succeeded by emperors who are Christian. And so the Christian emperors that succeeded him just kind of picked up where you know, Julian's predecessors left off and went toward, you know, further Christianizing and favoring Christianity in the empire till it became more or less the tradition the official religion later on. And it's it seems that Julian's kind of programs, you know, did have support while he was alive. You just needed an emperor, you know, in power who would continue to sustain it. Because even when he was emperor, you know, the majority of people in the Empire were not Christian, So who.
Speaker 1: Knows, we could have had a different life.
Speaker 2: It's one of those one. It's the history that I am not you know that we scholars are not quality do not address because that's science fiction. But you know, it's it's just he just ranged too short for us to be able to say whether his policies would have failed or not. You know, he also had various military uh you know shortcomings that you know, got things into some problems as well. And the whole fact that he kind of initiated this war against Persia, you know, could have been seen as sort of symptomatic of you know, some of his shortcomings. You know, he didn't necessarily have to, you know, fight against Persia, though part of the logic was to kind of prove that, you know, if we worship the traditional gods, they will give us victory. And so if he did come back alive from Persia victorious, uh, you know, that would have kind of validated, you know, his whole program. But he happened to die, you know, in a skirmish in fact, while they were kind of going back from Persia. So it's just that's just kind of a chance of them But anyway, Julian was much more than just you know, a as I said, a very religiously minded person who had this religious policy. That's what a lot of people tend to focus on when they think about him or study him, and I that's very important, but I'm also very interested in many other sides of him. He's a very multi faceted, complex figure. And you know, in addition to a religious thinker and a philosophical thinker, he was also a very literary minded person. He saw himself as a scholar and someone who was very interested in not only reading various works of literature, poetry, prose, history, oratory satire. He also saw himself as you know, a very a representative of what they call pidea, which was you know, not only the education that was based on reading the Greek classics like Homer, the play Rights, Demosthenes, Thucidities, et cetera. Hey, but also one who produces that kind of literature themselves. So we actually still have from Julian a number of all sorts of works of Greek literature. We have plenty of speeches that he wrote. We also have lots of letters he wrote, and you know, letter writing even was its own sort of art form back then, and we also have, you know, hymns to the gods that he wrote. He apparently wrote a bunch of poetry that we no longer have, and he also wrote some what has been called satires. One of probably the more well known one is called the Misopagon because which is literally means the beard hater, because Julian was known for growing the beard, which was contrary to what the other emperors in his dynasty had done since Constantine. Constantine, you know, represent and himself as clean shaven. He wanted to look kind of like Apollo, like the emperor Augustus, and Julian, you know, he grew a beard in order to show that he is associated with you know, traditional Greek philosophy and intellectualism, but also, you know, you could also say that he wants to identify with with the rank and file soldiers as well. So he's sort of like Hadrian where he's kind of playing it both ways with you know, he has a very soldierly profile as well as a very scholarly profile as well. You know, he wanted to be everything to everyone for the most part, and so the Mesopicon was essentially a kind of this big screed that he wrote making fun of himself, but also making fun of the people of the city of Antioch that he just with whom he just didn't get along. He kind of went to the city of Antioch toward the end of his reign as kind of a jumping off point to go fight the Persians, and he brought his army in, and he was really trying to undertake all of these you know, pro pagan reforms. And the thing is the city was majority Christian and so there's a lot of resistance to that there was, and so he basically just wrote this big speech, you know, just you know, it's it's an example of I think an emperor who you know, he didn't want to like retaliate against all of these citizens who made fun of him, like in any violent way. He was just like, Okay, if you're gonna insult me, I'll just insult you back, right, So it's all good fun.
Speaker 1: I love the idea though, of just like not getting along with a city. There are very few people I think you can be like, yeah, you know, I just I just really didn't get along with this city. I'm going to write about.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and you know, this is not an uncommon thing when an emperor visits a city, you know, I mean, yeah, the emperor.
Speaker 1: Like their emperor was so big. How do you yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: You know you're there. You got all your army there, the whole administration, and you're dealing with people all the time. It's like imagine like you know, like when Taylor Swift comes to town, or like when the super Bowl is in your city, or the Olympics or like the or the World Cup final or whatever. You know, a lot of the people living there are gonna be annoyed by all of this stuff going on. It's kind of a disruption of your everyday life. And so and the city of Antioch especially was notorious for, you know, not getting along with emperors who would visit there. You know, it wasn't just Julian. But anyway, he also wrote another satire, or at least it's called a sat tire, probably during the same time that he was in Antioch. And it is what you would call a dialogue, at least initially, and because it starts off as a two way kind of conversation between Julian and an unnamed companion, a Hetairos in Greek, and the title of this dialogue satire, whatever you want to call it, is actually a matter of debate, because in the manuscripts that we get from the late Byzantine period we have the title saying that this was either called the Sympausion right or the Chronia, and the Chronia Tachronia is Greek, the Greek equivalent of the festival of the Saturnalia, okay, the festival of Cronus Chronia right, Saturnalia saturn right. And so it was thought that this was and the beginning of the dialogue makes this clear that the occasion for the composition and maybe even delivery of this of this work was mid December, during the Saturnalia festival. And it's uncertain whether it would have been in three point sixty two when he was anoch or at the very beginning of his reign in Constantinople, A where he entered the city shortly after his predecessor passed away. More likely he probably wrote it in three sixty two in Antioch. But I won't get into that.
Speaker 1: So I just have to reveal a moment where I realized that I am so ill prepared for like Christian times of the Roman Empire, that I forgot that Constantinople would have even been a place where they would have reigned, or I'm like, oh right, you can just tell where my my historical tendencies lie. I mean, they don't even go to Rome at all, So I'm not surprised. But I love this. I love I mean, I especially love when these things come up that are like so far beyond my usual interest. But I'm like, oh right, like Constantinople existed, It's almost like obviously if someone came after Constantine like that, it would happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the fun thing is is that, you know, it was Julian's uncle. Constantine said he founded Constantinople. But what he really did was there was the city of Byzantium. It was an ancient Greek city going all the way back to the Archaic period. It was there all through classical times, and it was it was, you know, a major port city all through you know, the Greek and Roman period. And just what Constanty did is he sort of embellished it and re established it as a new imperial capital named after himself that he planned to be you know, a second Rome, a new Rome of sorts and it's during this time and during kind of constantious the Second's reign, that Constantinople really starts to rise in status to be almost a rival to Rome. And the irony is is that Julian was technically the first Roman emperor to be born in Constantinople, because Constantinople was officially quote unquote refounded in three thirty three. Julian was born in three point thirty one. Wow.
Speaker 1: Well, and here I'm thinking first like, oh, Antioch is so far from Rome, Like there's no wonder they don't like them. And I'm like, oh, wait, Antioch is not not that far from continent Nople, though comparatively.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a bit closer. Yeah. But the thing is that even though Rome is not a place where emperors tend to visit much, it's still a very important city. Is still seen as the actual capital and spiritual center of the empire. And that's what Julian is doing in his reign is if you read his writings, he actually says a lot of nice things about Rome, and he thinks that he's very committed to the idea that the city of Rome is the true capital and that the Romans themselves are destined by the gods to rule the world. And what happened was is that before the Romans came, the gods themselves prepare the world for Roman rule by sending out Greek colonies through the Oracle of Apollo. Right, you go to the oracle, not just to get your prophecy about you know, you know that Oedipus got in what But a big function of the oracles was, Hey, we need to go found a colony somewhere. Where's a good place, And so the oracle will say, oh, there's this nice territory, you know, in southern France or something you can go to. And so, as a result of the Greeks colonizing, you know, the the Oikumene, the inhabited world as they conceived of it, that was a spread of Greek civilization, of Greek culture, of Greek, of Greek values, and so that when the Romans came along to establish law in order, these places were already ready to receive Roman rule. And so Julian talks about that a lot. Just getting back to the topic at hand. So this was called in the manuscripts the symposium or the Cronia. However, we have sources from centuries earlier that refer to this work as the Kaisades, right as the Caesars. And so it's uncertain whether what title Julian gave it, if he gave it a title at all. And so what I decided to do when I approached this work to translate it, I'm just like, let's just have it both ways. Let's call it the Symposium of the Caesars. The reason I start with that, and I start with this conversation between an anonymous Tyros companion is that's exactly how the Symposium of Plato begins, right. It starts with this guy named a Polodorus talking to an anonymous Atyros about eight about what Aristodemus told him about a party that happened at Agathon's house after they won a tragic poetry competition and Socrates showed up, and they had a They essentially had a contest of you know who's going to give the best speech defining arrows to the god love. Right, Well, it seems that Julian is cuing us to say that that Plato's Symposium should be a model for kind of the plot of the Caesars or the Symposium or the symposium of the Caesars, because what ends up happening is this is Julian telling his companion about a banquet of the gods, a symposium of the gods up up in kind of the heavenly Olympus, in which there is a series of speeches in a contest seemingly over you know, who was the best ruler, who is the best emperor?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And the thing is is that, whereas you know Aristodemus tells a Tola Pollodorus about Agathon's party, it is actually the god Hermes himself who tells Julian about.
Speaker 1: This about only I love it, right.
Speaker 2: And the interesting thing is is that, you know, you can understand that in various ways. So Hermes is the god of literature.
Speaker 1: So to clarify first, so he's is he using Greek? He's using the Greek gods.
Speaker 2: Right. So Julian was actually born in the Greek speaking part of the Empire, right around Thrace and Bethnia, around Constantinople, right, And he was raised primarily as a Greek speaker. He learned Latin later, especially when he got into being emperor and stuff, but primarily the language of his literary production is Greek that the fact that Hermes, or at least he represents Hermes as telling him this myth. You know, Hermes is the god of literature, prose literature especially, and also so Hermis is, you know, represents sort of a conduit between the wisdom of the gods and humanity communicated through literature, right, and well, how what is inspiring Julian to write this myth? Well, Julian is reading a lot of Roman history and a lot of other literature in order to inform him about, you know, the participants in this banquet of the gods at which the souls of the of the dearly departed Roman emperors actually come up and they dine with the gods, and then that's the con and then they have this contest. So when he when Julian is telling his companion that Hermes is his source for this information, he actually says, well, Hermis says that I'm not sure whether Hermes, you know, was telling me the truth or he was making things up, or there's some mixture of truth and fiction in what he told me. And how I see that is, well, that sounds a lot like what he see it says at the beginning of the theogony right where he's like, you know, the Muses. You know, I was on helicon the Muses showed up and said, we're going to tell you lots of cool stuff. We can tell lies, we can tell truth, and I guess it's up to you to tell to determine what it is, uh. And so that's sort of what we're working with here. And I think another reason he is mentioning that is when he when Julian is telling a myth, you know, part of it is invented, right, This is not He's not retelling a myth that was received from the tradition like you know, you know the playwrights of Athens would have done, or Home or the Homeric bards would have done right or Pindar or whatever. He is making up a myth from whole cloth, just like Plato did, right. And that's why at the beginning of the conversation with his companion they talk about how Plato himself told myths. He invented myths, but he told myths that nevertheless had truth or something, you know, some kind of lesson within them. And so I think what Julian's doing, he says, he's saying I made up this myth. However, it contains a lot that is true, and it's up to the audience to decide, right, how should we interpret this? In other words, this is an allegory. And Julian and this is not the only part place in Julian's surviving works of literature where he talks about, you know, the production of myths. He makes up myths and tells about how to read them as allegories. What is the myth about.
Speaker 1: As I?
Speaker 2: As I mentioned before, there is a banquet of the gods on Olympus, though when he says Olympus, he also means like up in the heavens. There's that whole thing of like is it's not the actual mountain, but they're up in the sky because these gods are being identified with the planets, and so they're all up in the sky where where they're they're planetary. You know, manifestations are right. And the occasion for throwing this party is it is the Saturnalia. It is a party in honor of Cronus, right, and the and the master of ceremonies for this is Romulus, the mythical founder of Rome. And he is there as some form of god in his own right, because, according to Roman mythology, Romulus, after he was born of Mars and founded Rome and had this illustrious career as the first king of Rome, he then, according to some accounts, mysteriously disappeared and then later appeared to a guy named Proculus, saying, by the way, I have reascended to the gods from which I descended as a god, and so I'm going to be should worship me now as the god Queriness. And in fact, after that initial introduction, he is referred to as Queerness for the rest of the dialogue. And so Queriness decides. Romulus Queriness, however you want to call him, decides in honor of this party, we are going to invite all of the Roman emperors, such a fun whoever lived right, And what he means by the Roman emperors is all of the souls of the emperors who had died. So they come in one by one, starting with Julius Caesar. Okay, he calls them the Caesars, so that you can count Julius Caesar as well. So starting with Julius Caesar, Hey, Octavian, Tiberius, Caligula, Claudius, Nero, et cetera. They all come in one by one in chronological order of when they reigned, right, And some of the emperors that come in or attempt to come in, don't actually make it all the way too into the to where they're having the breed because they were bad emperors. So, for instance, Coligula and Nero and Commitists and all of these and Amission and all of these others, the notoriously you know, tyrannical emperors actually get thrown out. A lot of them get thrown into the underworld to Tartarus to be among those like who are tortured and punished in the deepest pit of the underworld.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: But the emperors that do make it into the party happen to also be the emperors that the Roman Senate had deified, had actually voted on saying, okay, this was a good emperor, so let's establish a hero cult for them and worship them as a god. Right. So one of the themes of the Symposium of the Caesars is deification and what does it take to you know, become a good enough emperor to earn you know, deification, Like what is true you know, godhood or how does one become properly, like the gods. Do you imitate the gods in the proper way that you can eventually earn, you know, a cent to communion with them? Right, And so some of these bad emperors that come in, they are trying to imitate the gods in the wrong way. So, for instance, Nero comes in and you know, somebody remarks, hey, hey, Apollo, here's here's somebody who who's who's who's trying to imitate you? And Apollo is like, yeah, he's trying to imitate me. But he's doing that, he's doing it completely badly, right, and so he throws him into Tartarus. So what's also interesting is that is that Augustus comes in and he is also trying to imitate Apollo and Helius and the sun god. However, Apollo actually intervenes also for for Octavian Augustus and sends a philosopher named Zeno of Kitty, the founder of Stoic philosophy, to go in and actually transmute and transform Octavian into gold. So, which is symbolic of philosophy saving Octavian from you know, the fate of being thrown into Tartarus for being a tyrant and he becomes, you know, a sensible and good ruler.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because like I like that there's there is there's criticism of Octavian, but like not fully obviously, like you know, but it's interesting to have that explicit kind of criticism of him.
Speaker 2: So I won't go through all of the emperors that come in, but basically all the emperors up through Julian's immediate predecessors, Constantine, Constantius, the Second, et cetera, come in, right, So all the emperors are there, and then the gods decide, okay, we need to put these folks to the test. We need to see them prove that they are worthy of being in our presence. And coincidentally, Romulus slash Queriness actually was begging the gods saying, could we take one of these emperors, one of these descendants of mine and bring them up to dine with us? Because the emperors are actually at a lower level in kind of the celestial hierarchy. They are not true gods, right, and so they need to do something. They need to do something extra to be able to be worthy of actually ascending to where the gods are. And so I tend to think of this and This is an analogy that I write about. You're at a family gathering, and it's a very large family gathering, and it's one of those where there's the adults table and then there's the kids table. The gods are sitting at the adult's table, their emperors, they're sitting at the kids Tablenromulus is the old grandfather who invites one of the kids at the kids table to come to the adults table as an honorary adult. So they hold this contest to decide, okay, which of these kids is worthy of joining us at the big kids at the big kids table the adults table as an honorary adult, as an honorary god for a day, right, as it were, right? Who gets to earn that triumph of dining with Jupiter in the on the capitol?
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: So the god's decide, okay, let's let's hold a contest. And then the gods decide, oh, we're not just gonna like have every single emperor compete. We're only going to like have the limited set of contestants among those who are already have the reputation for being the best emperors. And so they bring in Julius Caesar, Augustus and Trajan, as well as Marcus Aurelius and Constantine, and at this point Heracles, who is essentially Romulus's Greek equivalent of kind of a hero who you know, became a god. Right, uh, says well, why are we having a contest over the best ruler if the best ruler isn't even here. Where's Alexander the Great, my my descendant? Right? And so they decide, Okay, let's just bring Alexander in to this contest. Try to see to try to see if any of these, if any of these romans you know, can is a match for this one Greek.
Speaker 1: Poor Alexander. This is how he finds out that his legacy is like not as good as he wanted it to be.
Speaker 2: Oh, certainly, there's a lot of discussion of that, right, Another thing to mention before they actually have the contest itself. While the emperors are coming in. Among the gods, there is one of the most somebody who has the most lines of this dialogue, if you will, is the satyr Silinus, and he's kind of the Socrates figure in this. He he's also kind of the comic relief. He's kind of the court gesture of this whole entertainment because all the emperors are coming in and Silinus is like making fun of them.
Speaker 1: Right, I can only picture that like bust of Socrates where his nose is just like he's just got this cut, little button nose, and for some reason that like just yeah, it was like oh Silinus, and then Socrates immediately was like, oh no, I can see it. Yeah I got that.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah yeah. So he's just this kind of like buffoonish guy who's just taken all these cheap shots at these emperor's coming in. And the thing is one of the reasons that he is doing this is he's trying to make Dionysus laugh because Dionysus basically Silenus is in love with Dionysus right. In fact, Silenus is represented as kind of an erastes, you know, an older person, the older member of a pederastic relationship, of which Dionysus is the romanos, he's the beloved, right, And then there's some thought that, you know, this is like the pretty young Agathon at Plato Symposium that Socrates is you know, trying to impress.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say, you can't have a cannabi symposium without a little arrests Romenos.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly, and so Silenus is basically trying to you know, to entertain and impress his beloved. So they finally are ready to have the contest, and so one by one, each of the candidates of the contestants gives a speech to argue why they were the best ruler, and Julius Caesar speaks first. He talks about his great military record, though in the process Julius Caesar is just as much kind of playing up his military achievements and how powerful he was, but at the same time he is also dunking on Alexander. He's like, you know, oh, Alexander, you know, he wasn't all that great. I did things that were much more impressive.
Speaker 1: I got stabbed in the back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So for example, Julius Caesar was like, was like, you know, I was, I showed pardon to all of my enemies, right, I pardoned them. You know, eventually I got stabbed in the back for it. But at least I was a merciful, you know, just ruler. Right. Look at alexand he didn't even spare his friends. Alexander comes in next and basically Alexander is fucking pissed, right, he is just like little twerp. Yeah, thinks he was a match for me, when in fact, Julius Caesar was. You know, he doesn't even mention Caesar's dave, right, Uh, Julius Caesar was modeled himself on Alexander. Right, It's like, how are you like, you know, you're taking your own idols and you're dragging them through the mud. Its like. And he goes on this whole thing about like, you know, you defeated Pompey, but Pompey wasn't all that great for all of these reasons. And so because you because pomp because the your main rival wasn't all that great, doesn't mean it means that you weren't all that great. So there's a lot of this kind of military kind of show up one upmanship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who do they call Magalos? Not Julius Caesar?
Speaker 2: Right right? Octavian comes in next. Before Octavian can speak, Poseidon kind of intervenes and says, hey, wait a minute. Octavian gets a penalty for how much time he's allowed to speak, because they're using a water clock. When the water runs out, you're done, And so the Sidon says, I'm going to pour out less water for you because but now I get it all right, right, exactly exactly. And the reason for that is Sidon was still mad at Octavian h for a remark he made that we actually read in Suetonius where, uh, you know, Octavian was fighting against one of his rivals, Sextus Pompey, a son of Pompey and the civil wars, uh, and he experienced various setbacks because he was trying to fight all these naval battles against Sextus, and Sextus was you know very much. You know, he was kind of a pirate.
Speaker 1: I was going to say he was a pirate guy, right, And so.
Speaker 2: At what at one point, Octavian says, you know, I will defeat Sextus in spite of Neptune. Neptune remembers that, and so Octavian decides, Okay, that was my bad. I have to I have to I have to give a speech that is short and to the point. And so he's like, I'm not going to bother bashing these other people like the other people just did to each other. I'm just going to talk about my own achievements. Next comes Trajan. Silena specifically makes fun of him for having a drinking problem, but also for uh you know, having ah, he's a bit too fond of young boys at in fact. Yeah, so it's very interesting because during late antiquity, like Trajan is thought of as like the optimist print cupts, like the best emperor. Yeah. However, if you look at just some of the Greek sources, there's there's a little bit of discussion about, well, he also drank a lot and he seemed a bit too fond of young boys. Julian picks up on that and he runs with it to the point where Tree when he first comes in to the party silent and You're gonna love this. Silenus uh says, looks at Zeus and says, look out, Zeus, don't let your precious Gana Neede leave your side, because he knows that Trajan is uh you know, might you know has an eye for for that demographic does it work?
Speaker 1: Trajan was Hadrian's heir too, right other way around. Oh okay, so still somebody learned from somebody else.
Speaker 2: I'm just yeah, Julian actually seems very opposed to, you know, emperors who have any reputation for sexual scandal, so he makes fun of Trajan for for his pederaste, and then when Hadrian comes in, he also makes fun of him for that. So Silenus's remark against Trajan is, you know, why is this guy, you know, gazing at the heavens? Is he looking for Antinous? And probably and the and the illusion here is that Hadrian deified his boyfriend, right, and he was expecting to find him up in the heavens when he himself was you know, dying and joined the party, but he wasn't there.
Speaker 1: No, well, you know what, Antenus probably took that chance. He was like, get the fuck away from me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've heard Antinous was happy that he didn't have to spend eternity with, you know, trapped in that relationship, as a lot of people sort of have have seen it. So who's next.
Speaker 1: Marcus Aurelius one of the only ones that for some reason I can recognize. I was in Rome recently, and I was very proud about the fact that I could pull him out of a lineup.
Speaker 2: He's got the beard, he's got he's very curly. Yeah, so a lot of people recognize that Marcus Aralius because he was very much interested in the law that he was seen as sort of somebody that Julian highly admired. He certainly did, though I wouldn't say that Julian absolutely idolizes Marcus Aurelius either, you know, he calls out some of Marcus's faults because the point of I think one of the points Julian is making this dialogue is that here's all these emperors, including emperors that are traditionally seen as ideal models, like Trajan, like Marcus Aurelius, and even these ideal models have their shortcomings, right, and the true models that we should take to be not just good rulers but being good people is the gods themselves, right, and Marcus Aurelius also recognizes this, right. And the thing is and one reason this is seen as kind of an allegory and everything is in late antiquity among especially kind of the philosophically educated Pagans, people who believed in the traditional gods, but also you know, had kind of different conceptions of how the gods were really like through their you know, consumption of philosophy. They believed that the shrew Olympian gods were actually you know, much more idealized. They were actually you know, all powerful beings, all knowing beings, and perfectly morally good beings. Right. But of course, how do you account for all of this literature, within all of this mythology that represents the Olympians as as very much not that right as you know, committing all of these scandalous acts of being anthropomorphic in a sense, right, having all these all too human limitations, you know, all the things that you that your listeners are, your listeners are quite familiar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the reason I have my show.
Speaker 2: Right exactly right. So what people like Julian and people who engage with kind of these forms of really platonic philosophy at the time is they say that, and the Stoics were doing this and others as well. They would say that the literature of people like Homer, Anhesiod and others was not meant to be read literally. These were allegories, right, so they are meant to be interpreted as representing some deeper truth.
Speaker 1: Just thinking of the weirdest myths and being like, okay.
Speaker 2: So, for example, the idea that Athena was born out of Zeus's skull and it got cracked open, right, that is an allegory for the fact that is that Athena represents the forethought of Zeus, and Zeus himself is the cosmic intelligence, right that pervades the right the gods were not corporeal beings, They were beings purely of spirit and pure intelligence, right, And that the myths were essentially a way of using images as ways of kind of making sense of all of these kind of more abstract kind of processes.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: And so when Julian is presenting this myth where he's representing the gods dining at a banquet, right, he is understanding this as and representing this very much as an allegory. When it's time for Marcusraelius to give a speech, Marcus looks at the gods and he's like, what is the point of all of this? Why am I? Why do we have to sit here give speeches to tell the gods things they already know? Because Marcus knows that the gods, as you know, the beings of pure minds, already know everything about him, and so he doesn't see it necessary that he has to compete in this contest because he knows that whoever's going to win is going to win, right, the conclusion is already destined right in the in the in the plant, in the great plan of the gods. Right, and so he basically says, you know, just judge me as you see fit, you know, whether I was a good ruler or not. And the gods responded well to that. Actually, uh, you know, they thought, you know, that's actually a good point. Okay, finally it's Constantine's turn. Now. The only reason Constantine is one of these elite in the contest is because when the gods were making the selections, you know, who would be the competitors. Dionysus actually turned in and said, well, we have warriors, we have a philosopher, but we gods need completeness. We have perfection here. We need the whole picture, right, and so why don't we invite a lover of pleasure, right, a hedonist adam to the mix to kind of complete the picture of like all the various options for the type of ruler that we can evaluate here. Right. And so Julian very much does not like Constantine.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: He believes that Constantine's introduction of Christianity basically completely threw every value right and every tradition on its head, right, and he believed that Christianity was not a pious religion that encouraged morality, but quite the opposite. It was a religion that allowed you to be able to just indulge in all of your carnal pleasures, and then all you had to do was go to confession and confess your sins and and do the holy water thing, and then you were and then you were and then you were fine. Right, And he makes fun of that thing towards the very end, and so well, Constantine isn't even like interested in competing because he saw what all these other emperors said about themselves, and he's like, I can't compete that up with that. I'm sorry. Like, so he tries to say a few things for himself, like, oh, I overthrew some some usurpers and civil war, right, you know, I had a pretty decent military record, but you know, it doesn't really stick. That's the end of the speeches. That's not the end of the contest, though, because the gods recognize that, you know, rhetoric and giving the speech and making yourself, you know, you know, look good and presenting your record is all well and good, but that's not really what we're what we really need to do to evaluate these people. And so they decide, Okay, we're gonna have a Q and A session. We're gonna have a question and answer around and we're going to ask them all the same question. And that question is essentially I phrase it kind of like Conan the Barbarian, what is best in life? Right? In other words, what was kind of their core value that motivated them to do what they did? But anyway, I won't spoil the ending. Let's leave it, let's do it that. Yeah, okay, so there's there is an ending. There's a couple of surprise endings as to kind of what the result of the contest is and sort of where kind of people end up after that, But I won't spoil it. You'll see we.
Speaker 1: Have a whole production of it. It's so fun.
Speaker 2: We have a whole production of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I love that you just wanted to translate it. But then also like it lends itself so well to a whole production piece, So that's why I was so thrilled when you had the idea. But yeah, like I mean maybe just like the thought process behind like translating it, but then also yeah, like why you wanted to make it a whole production other than it's just like great and interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I have an there's a number of reasons. First off, I saw in this work there's really something for everybody, right, if you're interested in Greek mythology, if you're interested in Roman history, if you're interested in in in ancient philosophy, rhetoric, ethics, like what does it mean to be a good ruler? A good person? Right? What does it mean to become a god? There's all of those questions are in there, and I think Julian's really kind of tying together a lot of different kind of strands of his thought because he himself is a Roman emperor, right, and he's using this work as kind of a meditation on you know, what does it mean to be a good ruler? Good person? Like? Where do I see myself, you know, in relation to all my predecessors as emperor? Like what were some things that they accomplished that were admirable? But what were some of their shortcomings that I can try to avoid? Right? What is the relationship between a proper ruler and the gods? Right? So I think you know there's something that it's also very entertaining you know, it's very funny, right, but it also there's a lot of I think, good lessons as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there's something to be said too that it's so interesting to have a work that is like, you know, so ancient to us, but is also intentionally interacting with something that is so ancient to it. You know, like he's so intentionally creating this piece that is like not a mirror but like clearly inspired very heavily by Plato's Symposium and you know, and then I think, just to remind my listener, is it like there's a good seven hundred or so years in between Plato and Julian And like, I just I love to emphasize that kind of thing when we're talking about like the broad space of time that we have for antiquity, Like, you know, this is such an ancient work, but it is also interacting and navigating with an even more ancient work so intentionally, and like what does it say you know that there's that seven hundred years in between? And I just I love, yeah, thinking that aspect as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's definitely you know, a form of reception of Greek mythology, of philosophy of history. You know, just as much as you know a modern adaptation, you know. So there was that and I thought, okay, you know, I'd love to translate this, you know, in a way that makes it accessible to an audience, because I think a lot of people would be entertained by this, would have a lot to gain from it. How do I present that? Well, I could just write a translation and try to get it published to be read, and I still have some ideas of maybe doing that as like maybe a school text for instance. But anyway, I thought, well, this is also a dialogue, right, you know, this could actually and there is some thought that maybe it was actually performed as a dialogue when Julian composed it. Was this something that people just read or was did they actually have like did they actually like dramatize this in some way? And one theory is that perhaps he produced it as a dramatic reading. Okay, in other words, we're not talking about a full production like Greek drama. We're doing something that some people say the tragedies of Seneca were presented as where it kind of people with the different parts would sit there and kind of recite read or recite their parts. But there isn't really any spectacle or anything. And the thing is is that this is a thing that is done in my own experience. And the model for this, for kind of dramatic readings of ancient dialogues was something that I experienced and then took part in as an undergraduate at the University of Maine. My first reading quote unquote of Plato Symposium. But I didn't actually read it. It was actually presented to me by various faculty members of the University of Maine Honors Program playing different parts of characters in Plato Symposium as what they called a reader's theater production. And so like the Ancient Philosophy professor Michael Howard played Soccrates for instance, or the guy who was the head of the drama the theater department played Aristophanes, right, so it's just we just see it was perfect. So that was kind of my model, and I thought, well, I don't want to just do this like in person. But now that we've had the pandemic and all of the things where a lot of these types of productions were then put online, so reading Greek tragedy online at the Center for Lennox Studies did or the Oedipus project, right that they had during the pandemic, where you essentially that was you had, you know, people who were performing Greek tragedy, but they were sitting there, you know, behind a zoom camera. Right. So that's another model that I had, and so I decided, okay, let's do it this way. I will translate this in order to be accessible to you know, a contemporary audience. And what I'm going to do is I'm going to record each character, you know, as cast as somebody, right, and then I'm going to eventually put all those recordings together and have it produced, you know, through a podcast. And that's why I came to you live in the Chinese restaurant in Koria to pitch this to you because I thought, you know, this is very much something that I think, I hope your audience will enjoy. And so that's the audience that I had in mind when I did the translation. Okay, the translation itself is not a word for word literal translation. I take a lot of creative liberties, you know, with kind of rearranging sentences grammatically for instance, so it's not that kind of word for word literal translation. However, I try my best to be faithful to the sense of what it says in Greek. I do provide, I do, you know, get to try to get. I do push things a bit with some anachronisms and everything, but again it's in English, so of course it's going to be anachronistic anyway. I also turn this into a true dialogue. So if you read Plato Symposium, you read Julian's Caesar's, you'll see that most of it is Julian reporting what other people say, right. And so what I did was I just made this a true diegue, where you know, every time somebody says something, that's what there's that's the actual character saying it, rather than Julian saying that they said it right. And in fact, there are parts in the Greek where you have what's called reported or indirect speech, where Julian says, you know, Zeus said that something, and I just I just made Zeus say it right, just to get more people than Julian talking, because Julian is still the narrator and he still says a lot, but whenever somebody has direct speech, they're the ones speaking. What I also did was is I threw in a lot more proper names than the than the than the original Greek state, partly just so the audience can better follow along, but also just because I think there's a lot of elusive allusion to like certain people, like for instance, you know, when Caligula comes in, briefly, Caligula is not named, right, you know, demnatio memoria, if you will, introduced, as you know, in an evil monster. And I was just like, and in came an evil monster guius Caligula, right, just you know, yeah, just to get that satisfaction, I guess. So stuff like that, do we.
Speaker 1: Need to remind my listeners that means little Boots.
Speaker 2: Yeah here, And of course Julian didn't even say his name, so you wouldn't have said.
Speaker 1: Anything about that, but I like, I'd like, I think it adds something to say an evil monster guyas little Boots.
Speaker 2: And so this is one thing where I'm departing from kind of what Julian's doing is Julian wrote for an audience that he expected to be familiar with a lot of this stuff, and so he's a lot more illusion rather than stating explicitly, oh, this is Caligula I'm talking about he you know, you know, I want to make this more accessible to an audience, and honestly, you know, I know a lot of people might have gotten the reference already, but you know, well.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of Greek myth where so often you're you're hearing like an epithet or like a you know, one of that one of the names that's based on who their father is, and like if you know, you know, great, but like they expect you to know, and sometimes it is very unclear if you're not familiar. So it's helpful to have that extra.
Speaker 2: Detail exactly, you know, like trans so like I like if I'm assigning translations for a class, where like they're referring to Zeus as Crony d crona D's or the son of Cronus, and it's not we actually explained who that is, right, Yeah, Like.
Speaker 1: It's unhelpful for most normal people who don't spend their entire lives in this.
Speaker 2: Stuff exactly exactly. So so there's that, Priori. My one of my favorite things about this whole project was deciding whom to cast, and because what I actually did was I did a lot of the casting before I even finished the translation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you had a whole plan when we were talking, Remember you had, like goal casting, I imagine a lot of it pans yeah, right.
Speaker 2: And the reason that is I wanted to do the translate the dialogue with that's not only that character in mind, but that specific person that I cast, right, people who I would kind of familiar with how they would have naturally sounded right, And I think that really helped doing it in that order. What decisions went into casting, Well, these were people who had some association either with the character or somebody who was familiar with who works on Julian as an academic and was especially familiar with this particular writing of Julian. Right. So this is an opportunity for both scholars of Julian to kind of get their name out and to do something connected to things that they're interested in, just as I'm interested. But also I wanted to other folks who actually have been on this podcast who have a connection to some of the mythological characters. So, for instance, you have talked you've spoken with Ammopolli about Dionysus, Emma Polli plays Diane is of course they do, right. You have spoken to Meg Finlayson about Alexander me Finleson plays Alexander, right, So and so forth right U. And then of course I also have people who have worked on Julian, uh, you know, come in. So, for instance, Trajan is played by a leaden fellow Leyden Tikar scholar named Alberto Quiroga Puertas. He is from Spain, so is Trajan, and so I present Trajan in this translation as someone who has a Spanish accent, right, and he and when he uses proper names, he actually uses the Spanish version. So when he refers to Alexander, he says aund amazing. And I did the same thing with Leah Nikolai, who is from Italy, and she also she just recently put out a book on Julian which is really good. She plays Julius Caesar, okay, because I wanted an Italian to play Julius Caesar, because Julius Caesar speech is very much you know, Rome is the best, right, and so it worked very I think that worked really well. And then finally I was like, we can't do this without someone who's that we I can't have someone who isn't Greek the part of this. And so my good friend Marios Kutsukos right, who is also a scholar of late antiquity, neo Patonic philosophy, et cetera. He plays Zeus, yeah and so and so he's he does Zeus justice, I think, and speaking of justice, you know, I've I also reached out to some other people in the Classics podcast community. So there are a couple of minor characters, but Romulus himself as well as there's actually a couple lines by d K by Lady Justice because she kind of comes in and she kind of you know, uh, sorts out who get which emperors get to stay, which to go? I got the partialist story, I was, I.
Speaker 1: Was waiting for them.
Speaker 2: I love it right.
Speaker 1: So, so Australian in there.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, doctor doctor, so doctor g plays uh, uh plays queerness and uh doctor Rad plays Justice, yeah and so and then finally one of the stars, one of the big stars is Silinus, who has the most lines other than Julian the narrator, whom I myself played of course. Uh. And Silenus is played by Chris Poult. He is a scholar of Roman comedy, Roman poetry, and he's very he's a good actor, right, and he was especially so he's he especially nailed Silinus with the comic relief as you'll see. So I selected all these people, you know, partly because they're just my connections in sort of through classics, twitter or classics acts, whatever you want to call it, right and just and just thought this would be a fun kind of project for us all to be involved in. And I think they all they all took to it really well because again, these were characters that I think they had special connections with. So another example is my good friend an iron pen Dragon has a special connection to Hermes there that's sort of their their patron god, and so they play Hermes amazing and the and the reason for this is, you know, I wrote, I wrote this dialogue, you know, with these people in mind, with this character in mind. But I also wanted their interpretation of the lines to be influenced by how they themselves kind of thought, is this, how would Alexander would have sounded right? How would Hermi sound? How would have Dionysus sound? How would Silina sound? And they all had their own unique interpretations that I think that that really that really made this made this work. So yeah, I spent basically last year kind of trying to get a lot of these recordings in person myself for instance. You know, Chris Poult was running a Roman comedy workshop last summer and that's what brought Emma Polly, and that's what brought Tofe Marshall, who plays Apollo in So that was convenience.
Speaker 1: Very recent guest on the show, I love it right.
Speaker 2: I went up to Maine to meet with my old undergraduate mentor, Jay Regman, to play Cronus. Also, I went to the UK last summer and that's where I recorded with Leah for Caesar. That's where I recorded with an Iron for for Hermes. And that's also where I've recorded with my good friend Charlotte Naylor Davis, who plays Constantine. And the reason I selected her as Constantine is because Charlotte is from the North of England and Constantine, even though he is from like modern day sirr be A. Constantine is known for being an emperor who he became emperor in York right, and there's that statue of him, you know, sitting with the with the sword, you know, outside of Yorkminster. That's very famous. And I thought, okay, I'm just gonna I'm gonna make Constantine be a woman with a with a Yorkshire accent. That would be fitting to kind of the character that Julian is trying to portray here. And she did a great job, Charlie great. I knew exactly what to do. Whereas Meg who plays Alexander, is from the south of England. Uh, and they put on a very kind of posh, posh like London, you know, southern southern English accent, because Alexander is very brady in this, you know, very entitled, right uh. And so it is like, how damh this how dah he you know, compare his achievements to mine? Right, It's it's you know, it just works so well. And megne exactly what to do. It was great. Last, but not least who had so many who was cast as theros as Julian's anonymous companion at the start of the dialogue, Well all that had to be Live Albert, because that's what the what is the Symposium of the Caesars if not bringing Julian on to the Miss Davey Kant podcast to talk about a myth that he learned from Hermes. Right, of course, somebody interested in myth is going to want to hear about that, right, And so it just made sense.
Speaker 1: Here to remind people that the that the masculine version of Htyros is always translated as companion and the feminine version is always translated as prostitute. So I'm just I'm here for for it being that word specifically to right.
Speaker 2: I think companion is definitely much more accurate, even in the feminine right ext you know, it's patriarchy anyway, exactly. That's uh. You know, you can have Rebecca Kennedy on to talk about that if you want, right, so once ahead all the recordings. I also had the privilege of being the cousin of a wonderful human being named Christopher Swiss. And my cousin, Chris is a music professor. He's currently at Trinity College in Connecticut. Uh, and he is also a an audio engineer. He built a recording studio at his home in New Hampshire, and his his father, my uncle Larry, was also an audio engineer. Uh you know who taught him, you know, everything there is to know about that stuff. And so you know this partly this broadcast production is in memory of of of my uncle Larry, his father, So you know, we'll do that old dedication anyway. Chris was more more than happy to volunteer to mix and edit and master and work his magic to put all the recordings together and make it all sound, you know, doing all the things that I think, you know, you're you're used to doing as a as a podcaster with these recordings, being.
Speaker 1: Very kind to how much editing I put into this show, but yeah, sure I'm doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I just I just lined up all the recordings in a row, gave him the script and he was able to put it all together into a single file, and you know, we had a lot of fun. I went up to his place this past winter in New Hampshire to kind of listen to some of the final edits and you know, change a few things around. So, for instance, there's a towards the beginning of the recording, there's a couple of places where Julian quotes Homer. Uh, and when he quotes Homer, we actually add a lot of reverb right right. And actually the inspiration for that is there was an audiobook of Stanley Lombardo's Iliad that I listened to from audible several years ago. And what happens is whenever you have a simile in that recording, and Lebardo himself is the narrator. They add a bunch of reverb. Right.
Speaker 1: That's so helpful because the similes are out of control and also so necessary but like sometimes you have trouble keeping track. I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and so h so that so that that worked really well. And so now we have the recording and h it's ready to be released, and I'm really I'm really excited for for people to hear it. This was just a pet project of mine that I really wanted to get out of my system. It was kind of a creative piece to a book that I have been writing on Julian, in which I talk a lot about this particular work. They have a whole chapter devoted to uh an interpretation of it uh And if you read the chapter along with the translation, you'll see kind of how how those go together. But you know, that book will probably come out about a year from now through through Oxford University Pressing. So that's I'm very happy about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, congraduations on that one, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's going to be called Julian or Julian Augustus Colin h Platonism myth and the Refounding of Rome. And so there's a lot of discussion of how Julian approaches myth uses myth interprets myth, particularly Roman mythology. Right. How does he look at, you know, myths of the founding and the founders of Rome, like Romulus, right?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: And how does he connect that to kind of his own identity as a Roman emperor, you know, but who is also somebody who is a scholar of philosophy, right? And how does how do those two things combine? Right?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm I'm I'm really excited about this production and also just like the story being told itself, and like, yeah, I cannot wait, I cannot wait to listen to it. And Eric on the show, I'm so excited for this though. Thank you so much for like wanting to have it put on my podcast and like giving me this content. But also just like it means a lot that I get thought of for stuff like this, and I'm just so thrilled to like, you know, be able to help you put it out into the world. I think people are gonna really like it. It's such an interesting thing that like kind of goes under the radar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you, And I'll just thank you for doing your part in this and supporting this that creative energy. I just wanted to get out of my system, especially like you know, after having this very serious academic monograph. I do hope your listeners enjoy it, because I had tons of fun, you know, translating it, casting it, recording it, putting it all together, talking about it here with you, and so I hope you folks will enjoy it as well.
Speaker 1: I'm sure the fun is going to come across. I've been wanting to do like some kind of production and for so long, but like I can't ever put the time in just because of how much time I have on the podcast. So I love that you were able to basically do it all and then wanted it on my show, Like I think, yeah, they both win. It's great. Yep, yeah, okay, well I mean yeah, thank you so much for doing this, and uh yeah, I'm so thrilled my pleasure man who knew late antiquity and even the Christian period could be interesting. Not me, but I am sure glad to know more about Julian now. Thanks so much to Jarren me for coming on the show to talk about his favorite guy, but also this supremely fun translation and project that he has let me be a part of I can't wait for you all to listen to this reading, this dramatic full cast recording. The casting is so well done and it's just like a seriously fun concept. This conversation of gods and flawed men. What a time. So stay tuned for tomorrow's episode, which will be the reading of the Symposium of the Caesars. Let's talk about Myths Baby is written and produced by Me Live. Albert MICHAELA. Smith is the Hermes to my Olympians, better known as the assistant producer. Laura Smith is now the production assistant and audio engineer. The podcast is part of the iHeart Podcast Network. Listen on Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. Help me continue bringing you the world of Greek mythology and the ancient Mediterranean by becoming a patron, where you will get bonus episodes and more. Visit patreon dot com slash myths Baby, or click the link in this episode's description. I am live and I love this shit.