Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, thanks for tuning in. This is Jonah and welcome to this bonus content from How Do We Get Weird? This month, we're doing some extra episodes revisiting the podcast in different ways, and today we're really excited to present an old episode with our friend Taren Killham, who actually does all of the sound effects for the show, right, Vanessa, Yes.
Speaker 2: Tarin is basically an honorary member of the How Did We Get Weird? Family because he does do all these sound effects, and also because we just absolutely love him. He's been with us since the beginning and we did such a fun episode with him about birthdays. So please enjoy that episode from a few years back, and please keep an eye out for our regularly scheduled episodes on Monday, and be sure to rate and subscribe to the podcast so you know when these bonus episodes come out.
Speaker 1: Great.
Speaker 3: Thanks. Hi. I'm Vanessa Bayer and this is my brother Jonah.
Speaker 1: We're two siblings who love to talk about our childhood and nostalgia and how it shaped it into the people we are.
Speaker 2: Today, who are extremely elegant if I do say so myself.
Speaker 1: Welcome to How Did We Get Weird?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: Jonah, I think I would like to call today the birthday episode. Yeah, because my fortieth birthday is coming up, which is wild.
Speaker 3: I can't believe it.
Speaker 2: But I'm also feeling really just so grateful, you know that I get to do this incredible podcast with you, and it feels very like apropos that like we you know, get to talk about our childhood and nostalgia every week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally happy early birthday. I know it's coming up in November fourteenth. I spent my fortieth birthday finishing up chemotherapy, so not the funnest.
Speaker 3: Birthday, right, that's right? And how are you doing, Jonah.
Speaker 1: I'm doing great. I'm doing really great, doing fine out.
Speaker 2: And not to brag to the listeners, but both of the Bear kids have had one form or another of leukemia.
Speaker 3: But don't really know we're going to.
Speaker 1: Start, Yeah, a little bit of a down or way to start it, but I figured we take it down a little and then we kind of right right up. Yeah, to talk about how awesome year fortieth birthday is going to be.
Speaker 2: Well, I just wanted to say that one of the most thrilling things about doing this podcast with you, Jonah, is hearing you know that anybody at all is listening to it, but especially that people are listening to it who we actually grew up with, who are enjoying it, and who have gotten in touch, you know, after we've done certain episodes to kind of give updates on things that we've discussed, and so I wanted to give some updates that I've heard that have really thrilled me about things that we've talked about. The first thing being I think I mentioned a few episodes ago that James Kung was the only person in my fourth grade class who didn't sign the smoke Free Class of two thousand certificate that he would never smoke. And you know, I was always curious if if he ever tried smoking or not. And I found out that he actually did try smoking in college and he hated now. But he was so glad that he never signed the certificate because he would have broken it. And I found that out because he heard it through the Orange High School grape mind. I guess Spencer Lappin heard the podcast. He told Josh Fallenbaum about it. Josh tull cham so really exciting update there, you know.
Speaker 1: Cool, Yeah, that's very exciting.
Speaker 2: I also spoke to Christy's atroc and she was telling me about some of her favorite things from the podcast, and one of them, Jonah was she was really one of her favorite things was was you talking about the price gouging of slices of pizza in middle school?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's something I have carried with me. Actually, a dollar fifty for a slice of Domino's. You know, the school isn't even making the pizza, they're just reselling it. And a dollar fifty doesn't sound like a lot for a slice of pizza now, but in the nineties, yeah, feels like five bus for a slice of pizza.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, because you were two grades above us.
Speaker 2: Just think about, like, I hope you don't think your work was for not because it's like we were coming into the school and you were already fighting that important battle the pizza.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, it didn't get much further than me saying this is too expensive in them saying then don't you don't have to buy it?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: That was basically the whole thing. I didn't I could you.
Speaker 3: Kind of put the idea in the air, you know that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I kind of put it out there, like just because we're kids were not going to you know, pay whatever you say for Domino's pizza just just because it's there. Yes, exactly, probably I would. I mean, yeah, I also think it was weird that we couldn't leave campus because I felt that were limited our options.
Speaker 3: Well, when we were in middle school, though, that would have been.
Speaker 1: Kind of this was I'm pretty sure it was in high school. I'm pretty sure this was in high school.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, I think it happened in both schools.
Speaker 1: Maybe both schools. Okay, another I think I got more into the activism of it in high school. Oh got it?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, either way, you were two years ahead, so you were kind of plowing your your kind of charting the course and putting it in the air that we were getting ripped off. And then I also wanted to talk about, you know, a few episodes ago, I to talked about how when I was a camp counselor one of my campers they named an American Girl Doll after they saw her at the Chicago American Girl Doll store and they said, we like your style, we like your attitude.
Speaker 3: What's your name?
Speaker 2: And my true favorite camper of all times, Susan Brighton Back got in touch with me and said that that camper's name was Kit, so the camper.
Speaker 3: So if anyone buys a.
Speaker 2: Kit American girl doll, that doll is named after my camper. Now, is she only my camper? No, she was a lot of people's camper and she's also her own person.
Speaker 3: Kit. I thought that was pretty fun.
Speaker 1: What are the chances maybe this camper just saw an American girl don't name Kit and was like, this one's.
Speaker 4: Made after me.
Speaker 2: I know that there are chances that that's true, but I'm just I'm What I want to tell you is that this was like a very honest, sweet camper. I don't believe she would have made it up. Okay, And to believe me, they weren't all like that my camper. Most of them were.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't really have as many updates. Unfortunately, I'm not is in touch with the Orange High School crew, although I do talk to our friend Mikey Daniels sometimes. He sent me a text saying he's enjoying the podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, Mikey Daniels has for many years been kind of your main source of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he kind of gives me updates. I think he goes with Michael Now.
Speaker 3: Well, I think We'll always call him Mikey.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so I get some update. He's like my one friend from high school who will say, you know, this person is doing this, or this person's doing this other weird thing, or.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or this person's in prison or whatever it is, but right, usually good things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so yeah, but I don't have as much. I feel like you're much more kind of connected to the yeral.
Speaker 2: Well, I've got a lot of friends who kind of keep me updated, you know, main shout out to Andy Green, but a lot of people.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well, I'm sure they're all going to be wishing you a happy fortieth birthday.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. Speaking of a happy fortieth birthday, how happy am I to have our next guest in my life? Our guest today is a very close friend and one of my favorite people in the world.
Speaker 3: You may know him from the many.
Speaker 2: Years we spent together on Saturday Night Live if you're a millennial or generation whatever.
Speaker 3: Comes after that.
Speaker 2: You may know him from starring in the Disney Channel original movie Stuck in the Suburbs, and which he gave me a copy of for my thirtieth birthday. You may know him from starring in shows like Single Parents, or more recently, as in FX's impeachment, or from his film work, for example the film Killing Gunther, which he wrote and directed. And how about when he starred in Hamilton on Broadway as King George. And I saw it at least three times and I cried every time. Please welcome this unbelievably talented and unbelievably kind. He's my friend and my work husband. Please welcome Teraren Killem.
Speaker 4: Wow. I can't ask for a better intro than that. And for the listeners, well, first of all, let me just say such an honor to be on the podcast. I am a huge friend, friend and fan friend. From the intro, from listening, I've heard every episode, so those those updates I sincerely appreciate, and I'm such a fan. I believe that this is at least the second time that Jonahs probably confused a middle school and high school experience like he did with Battle of the Bands.
Speaker 1: That is true. It all kind of blends together for me.
Speaker 4: You're right, You're right, and I and Kit is a very famous American girl, doll kit Is. That's the one they did the movie after really Yeah, starring Abigail Breslin, I'm near certain.
Speaker 2: Wow, I wonder if I could get in touch somehow with this camper through my camper Susan or something like this. By the way, these are all like full adults now and I keep calling them my campers. But I wonder if I could get in touch and like get more information on this, because I.
Speaker 4: Really be a real scoop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I really think it's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, Kit was pretty big with tern with night Rider, right, wasn't that the car's name.
Speaker 4: Kit was the name? Yeah, it was the the acronym for the name of the car K T T. But I believe that kid from American Girl Doll is just Kit. Gotcha and Vanessa thank you for that intro because I did take notes because obviously a lot of our mutual friends have been on the podcast already publicly. Yes, Beck got all time favorite Bobby, he got best in the.
Speaker 3: Biz okay, okay again.
Speaker 4: Matt Rogers' electrifying new.
Speaker 3: Star okay okay.
Speaker 4: And then Fred Armison honestly an icon. So but I will say I I don't disagree with any of those, and I'm very flattered and satisfied with that intro. So thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm so happy because you did before we started recording. You did say the intros that you've been giving have been pretty flattering.
Speaker 1: Well, Vanessa did say you're one of her favorite people in the world. That's pretty good.
Speaker 4: Like literally no complaints, like if any thing. You pulled the rug out from under me in my bit to like be like to gripe about hey, but it was like, no, oh, she's that's right. She's one of my best friends. And she was very nice to me in the intro. And I can't wait to celebrate her fortieth birthday party in a week that's themed kids Incorporated.
Speaker 2: Now, Tarin, that's a great segue because we were going to talk to you today about Kids Incorporated. But then we thought, because my birthday's coming up and that kind of takes precedence over honestly everything, we would make this kind of like the birthday episode. I love it, and so you know, I just to start, do you remember like a favorite birthday party from when you were growing up?
Speaker 4: I had a lot. There was There's like one very informative one, which I think was my sixth birthday party, which was at our house down in Redondo Beach, and like it was just like it was just sort of you've seen the movie Parenthood, right, of.
Speaker 3: Course, I've seen I've seen the original one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the one I'm referencing. And there's a big birthday party there. It it felt like that kind of party, tons of kids, pinata, snacks, games, competition, prizes and and so that was that was a really happy one and that and I was I've kind of been chasing that dragon ever since, to the point where in my for my eighteenth birthday party, I got my parents to rent a bounce house and they and we we had a bounce house and like and we rented a dance floor with all like music from my childhood and then we played like games like bobbing for apples and pin the Talent donkey and stuff like that, and it was like the energy was like, isn't this ironic and dumb and hilarious and stupid? But really in my heart I was, I was like chasing my my boyhood it down.
Speaker 2: Well, it does seem like you were really doing a lot of I don't mean this in a negative way, but like juvenile.
Speaker 4: Hesitating so much it feels like it's gonna come out that way.
Speaker 2: I just like with the bouncy hat, like how many adults can even go in one of those without.
Speaker 4: We got eight easy. We did not. We did not adhere to like the waiver policy that we don't okay.
Speaker 3: But did it feel scarier because like your bodies are bigger?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I think we got it tipped on its side once and that felt like, yeah.
Speaker 1: I like a win.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, So you guys were just you didn't care. You weren't You weren't there to be safe, you were there to have fun.
Speaker 4: We were freaking red, you know, teenage young adult freaking punks. Ryan Jonah, totally.
Speaker 1: I'm super punk.
Speaker 4: You freaking pushed that Bounce House on its side.
Speaker 2: The music you were listening to, was it like Raffi or was it just like music that was popular when you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, not like childlike. It was like, yeah, the popular hits from like you know, Michael Jackson and the Thriller album. You know, it was a different time up to like I was a very big Boy Band fan, but then I was also a very big Sublime fan. And then I also like had two older sisters who are eight and ten years older than me, and they love like hair metal bands, So it was like, right, right right run in the gamut.
Speaker 2: You know something that I always say about you, Tarn is that you could have so easily been in a boy band.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. And as you know, I think I've shared with you.
Speaker 3: I think you've told me this, but I'd love to hear it again.
Speaker 4: It would have been my dream. And part of the reason that I pitched Kids Incorporated is because I feel like that show and we'll just cover it briefly and I'll move on that that show like launched this desire to be part of like a performing troupe, all that Kids Incorporated or even Mickey Mouse Club, and then certainly like boy bands took over late middle school or high school. And I think I was in middle school when my mom somehow secured an auditioned for a Generic Record executive, Like I literally don't even know what his role was. He was just like a guy that worked at Capital. He honestly could have been the accountant. But my mom arranged for me to quote unquote audition for him, which was just me and him and my mom in his office and me singing Cyndi Lauper's True Colors to him.
Speaker 3: Because it's my birthday's coming up. We you sing a little minute.
Speaker 5: Teren, come on, I seo choo color shine and through U ceo two colors. And that's why I love you.
Speaker 4: So don't be afraid.
Speaker 5: To let him show yo Cheo color cheo.
Speaker 6: Coers are bodif like wat boo.
Speaker 1: Wow, Karen, that was amazing put me in a boy band.
Speaker 2: I feel like, yeah, you would be such a natural for a boy You're so sweet.
Speaker 4: Being that my fortieth is not far behind years, I feel like that ship has sailed just in, just in sort of the defining adjective of boy band. But it was definitely a missed opportunity. And I think all the times Timberlake hosted when we were on SNL, he could sense it. Yeah, he could sense it. He could sense it. Oh, this was a kindred This was a kindred slash possible threat.
Speaker 3: Totally.
Speaker 2: You guys really had an energy between you of like you guys really got along, I would say, But also there was like a boundary of like don't try get into my territory. Okay, don't try and get into my territory. You know.
Speaker 4: It's like he's an all time host, right, like he's a five timer. He's he's one of the best SNL hosts ever, and and it was I will go as far as to say mutual appreciation because I did grow up like en Sync was probably the favorite of the boy bands, okay, and justified in all his solo stuff. I'm all about, but there were moments where I'd have to be like, I think this would be funnier. And then in versely he helped with some music things where I was like, could it be like this? And I really watch I got to see sort of them, the master part of him go that's not how it goes and it's gonna sound better here, and that was a really cool exchange, I bet. And maybe you know I love karaoke. It's one of my favoritest things. Well, you were the.
Speaker 3: King of karaoke at SNL.
Speaker 4: And like my favorite after after is were me hosting at Boho Karaoke on West Fourth shout Out, and we'd go to literally four or five in the morning. And but one of like the best karaoke experiences was me rapping Coolio's part of Gangster's Paradise while Timberlake sang the hook for me in that Wow.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what I remember doing karaoke with him and always being like, because was he always the musical guest when he would host?
Speaker 4: Not always always, not always, but he could do it.
Speaker 3: He could do it, for sure.
Speaker 2: But I feel like sometimes he would host and you'd like, have such a fun week whatever, and then like we would do karaoke with him, and I remember being like, oh my god, I forgot how good he is. Yeah sing, yeah, you know, he's a singer.
Speaker 4: He's a freaking singer. And he's forty already.
Speaker 1: I'm forty two, so we're probably around the same age.
Speaker 3: And you guys are so similar, so.
Speaker 1: Similar, so similar. Turn. I have to say, one of my favorite musical things you did and the show was your eminem impression.
Speaker 4: Thanks dude.
Speaker 1: That was fantas that.
Speaker 4: I feel like that was me and Jay in our first season maybe, and like it was a very interesting process because it was definitely the first time I performed like my piece and felt it do very well, you know what I mean. Like, I feel like there's terminology behind the scenes. It's like, you know, you're always trying to chase, You're always trying to kill, you really want to kill in front of the audience. And I remember that that update ended up feeling like, oh, this is what everybody's talking about, which was like a great feeling, but also then made you feel like everything you'd done before, it's like like it just put it into perspective. It calibrated it. But I had I had been assigned an M and M impression before, and like it was just like giving me in somebody else's piece. And Andy Samberg after the piece was like, nice, try buddy, nobody can do an eminem or something like that. It was like some sort of challenge of like, man, and maybe that's not even fair. Maybe it was more like it's really hard to do eminem or something like that. And me and my spiteful way was like, oh, I show you. And also I shared a dressing room with Jay Farrow, who's whose ringer on his phone was the Lil Wayne eminem mashup like what is love that you know? And and it would be like it would just every time he would ring and be like come in a minute, and so like I started doing that but with Jay, and it was good, and we wrote the update and went okay at the table and then we did it at at at camera blocking and the update people came up and they said, listen, we uh, we wanted to cut this. We were gonna cut it because we just don't think it's working. And Lauren said, you guys should try it just so that you should see what it's like for things to.
Speaker 7: Kind of so, okay, that's an insane thing to see you it was crazy and it was like okay, and and that again wrote lit another fire where Jay and I from camera blocking to rehearsal went back into our dressing room and kind of like.
Speaker 4: Rerote it like like like changed like five jokes and then just really kind of shortened it so we're like, if anything, it'll be short and sweet, and then addressed. It did very well and it live air too, So thank you. Jonah. Yeah, let's go to commercial garbage dot com. Click on garbage one click, they come and get your garbage. I listened to the podcast.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, Tertern, do you want to throw a commercial? And you did?
Speaker 4: Wow, kids will learn from you, dad. How does an airplane work?
Speaker 6: Dad?
Speaker 4: How do you drive a car?
Speaker 6: Dad?
Speaker 4: What's this? We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: I wanted to talk a little bit more birthday parties because this is the birthday episode and I'm not gonna let anyone forget it, Jonah. One of my favorite birthday parties of yours, And I don't know if you remember this was we all went to see the movie Singles. You took about five of your friends, mom and dad, and I went with you. We weren't allowed to sit in the same row as you. We had to sit like five rows behind you, and we all saw the movie Singles.
Speaker 3: Do you remember that vaguely?
Speaker 1: I feel like I remember it more, uh, because I've talked about it, because you've talked about it. But it sounds like something I would do. I mean, I think that that movie came out probably early to mid nineties. Ellison Chains was in it, that Chris Cornell, Eddie Vedder, all those guys were in it. Great film, amazing soundtrack too.
Speaker 2: What would you say, Jonah, was your favorite birthday? Is there one that you remember liking more than the Singles birthday party?
Speaker 1: I remember one birthday going to like a baseball card show with like a bunch of my friends, right right. I was really into baseball cards, so that was really exciting.
Speaker 4: I felt like that.
Speaker 1: And they think, I like, they gave everyone like five bucks or something to spend a baseball card just probably seemed like a lot of money. I don't really have a strong connection with my childhood birthday party. I feel you're better remembering this stuff.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, I had some really incredible birthday parties. I'm not saying that you didn't, Jonah, sure, but but I but I just remember being I think I was really invested in them too. You know, I was trying to do like kind of a cocky bit about birthdays. And I don't mean, I'm sure we both had wonderful birthday parties, but I would have a lot of I was very a huge fan of sleepover parties. My friends and I loved having sleepover parties. So most of my birthday parties were sleepover parties. And there would be some kind of an art project that we would all do, whether it be making beaded necklaces or one time we got these really big wooden bracelets front and wooden shapes from like you know, a craft store, and you would paint the bracelets and paint the shapes and then like glue them together and basically like I had this huge bracelet that I made. The bracelets they were like big wooden Bengal bracelet they.
Speaker 4: Saund the bracelets of a fifty five year old woman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they do have.
Speaker 2: I you know, I had pretty involved birthday party were like we would make art, we would have fun. We would stay up late and all of my friends. Basically sleepover parties were where it was at. We would watch that movie April Fools.
Speaker 3: Sometimes. Have you guys ever seen that movie. It's like a scary movie.
Speaker 1: I've known now. It's like a.
Speaker 2: Scary movie, but at the end spoiler alert, it's all in April Fools joke. So all the people that like get killed and stuff were just doing an April Fools joke. But it was about as scary of a movie as my friends and I could handle. I mean, I guess we had sleepovers all the time, like but they I guess they weren't always birthday parties, but it was usually like five or so of us and we would watch April Fools and then we would watch the incredible Mister Limpets so that we would not be scared when we went to sleep.
Speaker 4: The don Knot's animated fish Joint.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean I particularly remember doing this.
Speaker 3: This is Steph Brew's house. We stay.
Speaker 2: We would watch April Fools again like a scary movie. But honestly, the ending of it should have been you know enough to like make us be not scared, because again it was all on April Fool's joke.
Speaker 3: And then we would watch mister what were.
Speaker 4: The goodie bags? Like just medicaid cards, dental dental health kits and just a reminder to call your loved ones.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, we.
Speaker 2: Would have a blast, Darren, I gotta say we would have We would absolutely have a blast. And and you know I would always I would always get a cookie cake.
Speaker 3: That's my favorite kind of cake is cookie cake.
Speaker 2: Still to this to this day, every year, almost without fail, I get my best friend Gwen, who you know who you know, well, she always brings me a cookie cake. And now she lives in Santa Barbara and I live in LA and so we're about two hours apart, and she, you know, bless her. She always finds a way to get me a cookie cake on my birthday. And our Missus Field's cakes the same as the original Cookie Company, which was the which was the cookie cake that was in our mall that then I think got bought up by Missus Fields. They're a little different, but I still love them, and to me, that's the best cake turn.
Speaker 1: What's your take on cookie cake? What do you think?
Speaker 4: I'm I'm all about a cookie cake. I think I think ideally i'd like a little ice cream with it, uh huh. I think that there can be a tendency for a cookie cake to be a little dry.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: You know, there was a lot of cookie cakes at SNL because it was it was Missus Fields down in the basement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's where when I was on SNL, Gwen would usually get me cookie cakes from there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I dig them. I love you know, I love an ice cream cake. I'm not a traditional cake guy myself, and I really love sweets, like I'm crazy for sweets, but like cake and icing does not do it for me. If it's an icing, I need a cream cheese icing.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: And then a cake. I love a pound cake, Okay, I don't love like a traditional chocolate vanilla birthday.
Speaker 3: Talk about geriatric and what's in a pound the pound cake? Do you like having that with your you know, with your.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry I can't hear you over the rattle of your large wooden bracelets. What are you saying?
Speaker 1: What's that kind of cake. Everyone makes fun of the get for Christmas.
Speaker 4: It's like a fruitcake.
Speaker 3: I don't know that I've ever had fruitcake? Is it good?
Speaker 4: I don't know that I've ever had like a memorable fruitcake. I think I've seen them. I don't know. I would be curious to know like the origins of that, Like maybe it's a German thing or something. But they have dates in it. They have like a lot of like dried, big chunks of fruit, and I don't remember it being pleasurable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a question for you two about candy, now that we're sort of on this subject. Walking my dog with my wife this morning, found a piece of Halloween candy on the floor, still in the cellophane, like like a sour patch thing or something, and I was like, oh, great, I can eat this. My wife said, it's been outside. It's uh, we're throwing it away, and I felt like I could have eaten it. It's packaged. But what are your thoughts?
Speaker 4: My answer is probably gonna disappoint you, okay, because my immediate reaction was to agree with you, yeah, it's wrapped. However, as a parent, my mind goes to an even darker place of like if you don't know the source of where it came from, like candy tampering, Like it's so not realistic, But that would be more my concern than like germs or bacteria of like, I get a little too paranoid because candy is such a precious commodity for someone to have just left it out randomly. I go, okare, what's the backstory here? But I agree that things individually wrapped like that's saved are good. If it had been smushed and the wrap, like say we're dealing with a Snickers, like a mini fun sized Snickers and it's smushed but it's still sealed, I probably wouldn't eat it because now the story of it being pressed down by a foot or something is in my head as I consume it. I don't know if that helps you.
Speaker 1: No, that does help. I think that's thing.
Speaker 4: My final answer is, could be poisoned.
Speaker 2: You know, it was just Halloween not too long ago. And something that I always really wondered about was, you know, when you're a kid and everyone's like you have to be careful and check all your candy.
Speaker 3: For razor blades.
Speaker 2: Now, how does even logistically, First of all, what are you going to put a razor blade in eminem how are you going to find a small enough razor blade?
Speaker 3: Second of all, just the packaging itself, I mean.
Speaker 4: Like unseiling through heat, I guess, and then like rubber cementing, like the effort. But that is such a common like urban legend because I grew up here in California and that absolutely was like the number one concern of Halloween is razor blades in the candy.
Speaker 2: I mean that was a huge thing when we grew up in Ohio too. It's just so like, I don't know, it just seems like that would be so much work. And now you mentioned possible poisoning of the candy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that.
Speaker 3: Also seems like what would you inject?
Speaker 2: You would have to still deal with the seal of the package, of the wrapper totally.
Speaker 4: I think maybe that once you're going from like the placement of a razor blade requires full wide mouth packaging. Yeah, using chemical based poisons can be applied via syringe with perhaps a small enough puncture hole naked to the human.
Speaker 3: Eye, right right right.
Speaker 4: Again, not not a realistic concern and not practical. And again, Jonah, my first instinct was to be like, eat that candy, but also think about poison, razor blades.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah I didn't. I actually didn't think about either of those things.
Speaker 4: Shame on you.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about what a bummer it was though, when you went trick or treating and then someone had those like miniboxes of this raisins and you're like, yeah, this isn't candy.
Speaker 2: We had someone remember who used to give out like pennies or apples or something on our street.
Speaker 3: Yeah, even we're such a bummer.
Speaker 2: It was like, don't try and teach us a lesson on Halloween, like get over yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something really patronizing about that.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was a very very grateful kid. Like and this ties back into the.
Speaker 3: Theme of this episode against type at all.
Speaker 4: I like, we have videos, We have many many videos of me opening birthday presents and my reaction. It's so disingenuous, but I think it's I think the intention is sweet. Like I didn't want anybody to feel bad about giving something, Like if someone gives you something, I didn't want them to feel bad. So I there's the most famous one in our family is me in our house in big Bear opening flash pajamas from my grandmother Claire. Now, my grandmother Claire was a little kooky. She was everybody's favorite character, but she's a little out of touch in ways, and she always gifted you things that were like three or four years younger than you should have had it. And and the worst version when she was when for my fifteenth birthday she gave me the book Everybody Boops. But we have video of me at like eleven or twelve opening up pajamas that have flash on them because I like comic bookie superhero stuff, but they're literally pajamas for a five year old child, and I open them up and my reaction is just like, oh my, oh my god, flash. Oh it's loud. These are so cool. Oh these are so cool, grandma. Thank you. Oh I love this. I'm wearing these tonight. I'm wearing these tonight. Oh I love it. Thank you, grandma, thank you so much. It's so sweet. That's so sweet. So my point being like apples or pennies, I'd be like, Okay, they're thinking out of the box. That's not like, oh, raisins are yummy. These are great because you almost don't you almost don't want to what candy?
Speaker 3: That is so sweet?
Speaker 2: I can like actually really envision what that looked like, because I don't know, Jonah, you might. You probably don't know this, but Tarn was in these commercials for the Ringling, Barnum and Bailey Circus when he was.
Speaker 1: Like I did not know that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, probably probably around that age eleven eleven ish or so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's really excited in those commercials, and you can find them online. I'm sure we could find them. But he's really like, he's like whoa, Like he gets sucked into the circus or something.
Speaker 4: Is that pretty much pretty much?
Speaker 2: Yeah, But it's so thrilling to see like a young taryan really great actor already just like so enthusiastic about the circus.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he could. He couldn't believe it. It was like a lot of early blue screen stuff. So I go like yeo, and then they like zoom my body up in this wide void room and I go catch this and my morphs into like a tiger and then I'm in the cage of the motorcycle. Cage in my head is spinning three hundred and sixty degrees and then they shoot me out of a can and I'm like whoa, and I grab onto a trapeez and it's like it's it's it probably sounds maybe cooler than it actually looks, because it's so like cheaply made, but it aired all the time. It aired. It like they they used that commercial for honestly a decade. Every time Wringling Brothers went into town. We had you know, friends and family all over the country. They'd be like, Oh, the circus is coming back to town.
Speaker 2: I mean, it is a very I would say, I didn't know it was cheaply made. It looks very cool, and especially for that time, I feel like it looks really incredible. And I again, as I said at the beginning of this podcast, I'm feeling really grateful as my fortieth birthday comes up. And this is just another example of this that like one of the greatest things truly from my time at SNL is like how it connected me to certain people that I would have never met otherwise.
Speaker 3: And Tarn and I like the.
Speaker 2: Fact that like Taren was like doing these commercials.
Speaker 3: He's from California. He's a cool dude.
Speaker 2: That like, you had such a more like showbiz background, and even when we got to SNL, it was like, you know, you you had already been on so many shows, and you just like you kind of like understood the biz so well, and you just like.
Speaker 3: Knew what was going on, and I fully didn't.
Speaker 2: And I just remember us both waiting outside of Lauren's office to be like interviewed.
Speaker 3: Kind of by him, to talk to him, and like.
Speaker 2: It was just like you were you like looked so at ease, and you were just like, you know.
Speaker 4: That's a nice Vanessa. That's I mean, I've I've heard you say the thing about like thank goodness for SNL for many reasons, but but particularly for these relationships that otherwise might not have occurred. But I always, I always chalked that up to geography more than like, yeah, more than where you're where we were at professionally or personally or whatever, because I would say, like personally even bleeding into like professional interests. I think the reason you and I connected so quickly is such a shared sensibility, shared sense of humor, you know, like I don't know, I felt very bonded to you very quickly. It's very nice that have you to say that I was at ease. I mean by the time we met there in the talent office, I'd auditioned three times, right, and like you know, and so I don't know the ease that I would describe it as ease, but it was it was maybe surrendered a little bit like listen, listen. It's you're you're either gonna like it or you're not. And and there was sort of a nice bookend process to my SNL audition, where like the very first audition was like Charlie in a chocolate factory. I want a golden ticket. I get to there flying me to New York. I get to be in that space my favorite show with my favorite comedian of all time, and I'm just going to soak in every aspect of it. And then and then each audition after that, like kind of leading up to it, each time they called me back was like I don't know, somehow became more real or there felt more pressure of like, oh, they're really considering me, where the first one was like, Eh, they're considering a bunch of people, and but I get to be one of them. Then it was like, oh, maybe there's more of a microscope on me, and I know that that's my own thing. But then by the time we met at like sort of the Lorne meeting, I was very much like soak it in because it's cool that you got to be considered this much right right, right and then and then who knew that the best present birthday or otherwise of all was my friendship with you.
Speaker 3: That's how I feel. I really do me too. And the two of us just shot right into.
Speaker 1: The podcast sphere now doing a podcast, and.
Speaker 3: We're doing a podcast and.
Speaker 1: Now no one else's doing that.
Speaker 4: Do you mean in between writing your own show for showtime?
Speaker 1: Miss good point? Good point?
Speaker 2: And also I want to say something else about Terran now that we're on this topic, is like I feel like a lot of times Terreen makes me laugh so much like I'm a little kid, Like I feel like not that you're my dad, but but like like one time Taren did we were talking about Game of Thrones and Tarreen did impressions of everybody on Game of Thrones, like he was talking about the episode and he just like got through like every he could do, every he could do every character. Our producer Hans is daring Taren to do them.
Speaker 4: So like impressions. Wise, my strength is not necessary necessarily the audio of it. There's there's always a video, a visual proponent, you know, a face or a pose or.
Speaker 3: A thing right right, right, right right, And I.
Speaker 4: Can't remember like Game of Thrones was our show because you were at our house, Kobe and Ice House out here for the Red Wedding episode.
Speaker 1: And yes, I would stay like you was a.
Speaker 4: Freaking gut punch god doing all the Game of Thrones I remember, like the one I liked to do, But this was more like trying to get on the show. Was every episode of Breaking Bad? I tried to Yeah, yeah, and every episode of Break Bad? Is this, Jesse Jesse, please just listen to me. If we focus, we can get out of us.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, cause I'm such a such a dumb ass failure bitch. Right, no, no, no, listen, okay, okay, Jesse Jesse, I swear all right, listen to me.
Speaker 4: I can I can save us? Oh yeah, and then oh just god and mess it up?
Speaker 6: Mister?
Speaker 4: Why is that right? Well, I'm out chess that they never got picked.
Speaker 1: That is criminal, tarn that that is insane, that you know.
Speaker 4: I also wanted to do it where the hair and makeup had to do like half and half, Like the right half of my body was was Brian Cranston and the left half was Aaron Paul so that I could like turn and do it. And I thought that that would be really dumb and funny, but.
Speaker 3: It would have been incredible.
Speaker 4: It's a friget, it's a it's a it's a competitive place, y'all.
Speaker 3: It's hard to get that stuff fun.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: One of my other favorite things, which this is purely visual so you don't have to do it, is you know my favorite thing that Taren would do, is you would do and a visual impression of he's doing it right now of Ian Summer Holder and.
Speaker 4: Paths with Summer Holder?
Speaker 3: Did I?
Speaker 4: I thought you guys did watch What Happens Live together? Or did you see him on?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: I saw him on Watch what Happens Live, and this is this story. But I was going to tell that story right now, which is that he was on Watch what Happens Live or something like that, but I think it was Watch what Happens Live with Neve from from capt Fit. I know, and I at that time was like Terreen's Ian Summerholder has to get on because it's such a fun It's just like him making this face where he just looks exactly like Ian Summerholder does when he's on like a red carpet, and it was like it truly like the to me, like it still is like one of my favorite things that Tarreen does and what I truly think one of the funniest things. So at that time I was just really hoping that would get on. And then Neve and Ian Summerholder were on Watch What Happens Live and we had just on SNL done some kind of catfish parody and it got brought up on Watch What Happens Live, and Ian Summerholder kept like turning to Neve and being like, Wow, they parodied you on ES and OW, that's so cool, that's awesome. That's like really like you could tell that Ian Summerholder so wanted to be parodied, and I was so like wanting to, like, you know, jump into the TV screen and say, Ian Summerholder, Terreen does an incredible impression of you.
Speaker 3: We just haven't been able to figure you.
Speaker 2: Know, we haven't gotten it on, but like if only you knew that you are impersonated and he probably listens to this podcast, yeah definitely, so he will hear that.
Speaker 4: I thought the citizens of Orange Hai will somehow channel their way to Ian summer.
Speaker 2: Holder exactly exactly, but it truly is like nobody makes me laugh more than this guy, than this little.
Speaker 4: Guy right back at you and Jonah, you we love you too.
Speaker 1: Thanks darn, Yeah, I mean I wanted to say I wanted to thank you.
Speaker 6: Know.
Speaker 1: Tarn has been really supportive of me as well. He put one of my band's songs in Killing Gunther his movie, So you know, we have a song and like an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie, like a fight scene. I mean, how cool is that?
Speaker 4: The Bear family. They're the friggin' they're the best.
Speaker 2: Come on, come on, is there something you'd like to do.
Speaker 4: Let's go to a commercial.
Speaker 2: And we're back now, Taren, We're about to play a game with you, and I don't think that we have properly kind of thanked you for the fact that for both of the games we've been playing, Yes, Stalgia and Nostalgia and back to the present is you.
Speaker 4: I'm the soundclip, Yeah, I'm the soundclip guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And Vanessa and and Jonah. Maybe you feel this. This is like a this is like a guilty confession. I don't know if you have this, but this speaks to like my own vanity and ego. Yes, at any time I listen to any podcast, any podcast with someone I know like very well or i've worked with part of me has some dumb expectation to be like, they're probably gonna talk about me now I know, I know, And then when they don't, I go, that's fine, No, that's fine. No, it was an organic conversation. It just didn't get there. But they but they it was similar but different where like the first episode here, I was like, I know what they're gonna say, or someone's gonna recognize it, and then I was like, oh no, they're playing it in post. But Bobby did listen to it, and Bobby reached out and he knew it was me well. Also speaking of high professional sound clips on the show, the Interest song, as soon as I heard, I said, Jonah must have done this, And Jonah, here's my question for you. Sure is it at all inspired by the theme song from Beverly Hills nine O two one? Oh?
Speaker 1: I think so. I think. I worked on it with our producer Doug, and he came up with the drums and the bass, and then I recorded the guitar melody and I think we're referencing, like say, by the Bell maybe nine two and oh a lot of those like really melodic, kind of over the top guitar bends and yeah, yeah it's great, thank you.
Speaker 3: It does sound very nine to two one O.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I actually really I actually, just like before we had it totally figured out, I just basically just sat with that guitar tone and just played guitar for like a half hour and just send it to Doug. I was like, maybe you can find something here. So he was a very good sport about that. But it was really it was really fun making the song. So I'm glad you like it.
Speaker 4: It sounds great, thank you.
Speaker 3: I like the ending where it goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was taken out of probably an hour of me doing stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Wow, what a talented family.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Thank you, my god.
Speaker 4: Todd somewhere busting buttons. I know that the first Todd his button. It's bursting, not the first button, I bet.
Speaker 1: Oh you know what, I actually have some first Todd news really quick, Okay. Todd Runggren was recently inducted into the Rock and Hall of Fame like last week, and he was he didn't go, but Patty Smith accepted for him, and I thought maybe he was scared to go to Cleveland, like maybe he didn't want to show his face in Cleveland because he knew about the original Todd and I almost actually reposted that article and wrote like Todd Ruglan's coward. And then I was like, maybe people aren't really going to understand this. It's just gonna make it look like insane.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's so funny because we had said when we were recorded, when we were in Cleveland over the summer, our dad had said like, maybe if I go to the rock and roll like Induction or whatever, I can meet him. And you know, Todd Rungrim probably had the same thought of like, God, if I go to Cleveland, maybe I'll meet Tom Bayer.
Speaker 1: And he said something like like he didn't go because I can't find the quote, but he said something like he doesn't believe like rock music is like a popularity contest. He said he was like sort of like opposed to it ideologically, which to me seems like a little bit of a cover.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that seems he's got something to hide, and I think it's that he's his name isn't really taught yeah.
Speaker 1: Talk about yeah, yeah, like yeah, he just he was like Cleveland yeah, I can't do it.
Speaker 3: Wow is huge?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is huge.
Speaker 3: Well, Tarin, Now we're going to play this game that we call yes or nostalgia.
Speaker 1: You obviously know what I like the sound of it.
Speaker 2: And if you like something that we bring up that's coming back from the past, you give it a nostalgia a stall Jah.
Speaker 3: You don't like, you give it a nostal.
Speaker 4: Time nostall job and we.
Speaker 2: Will do the same. Jonah, would you like to introduce this first?
Speaker 1: Sure, I can kick things off. So the first thing on our nostalgia nostalgia and tern here's the thing about this too. We know, like you know, you're in the biz, your wife's in the biz. But you just got to be totally honest about this. You can't think about how it's going to impact your career or anything like that. That's fair, all right, Okay, So first one is that seventy show spin off, that ninety show the little background we all know. The seventy show ran for eight seasons on Fox from ninety eight to two thousand and six. Ashton Launch a Careers or Ashton Kutcher, Mila Kunis Teford Grace people. It's coming back, as it was announced earlier this month as that ninety show. Like its predecessor, it will take place in Wisconsin, set in nineteen ninety five. Yeah, they have an announced who the cast is and uh yeah, Taran, what are your thoughts on that ninety show. We don't know when it's coming out, but it's it's gonna happen for me.
Speaker 4: For me, it's astalgia, okay, for this reason, mostly I love multiicams and I feel that that seventy show was a very good multiicam. And Ted and Ted and Terry Oh what's their last name? They're SNL writers that created that seventies show. They're former SNL writers. I don't know why I'm blanking on their names. Now. Here's my asterisk for it, okay, is that they did try a that eighties show, right, Yes, that was not as successful and not it didn't. It didn't catch as much. And I do have a theory about it. And here's why I'm a nostalgia Bonnie and Terry Turner, thank you, is that the eighties it as a as a decade, as a definable satired and and a parody decade. It was so distinct that there wasn't anything novel to doing that like I feel like in nineteen ninety one or ninety two they're already doing like throwback references to like Flock of Seagulls, haircuts and hair metal bit. There's such a distinct eighties vibe that it didn't feel fresh. I don't feel that anybody has masterfully captured the essence of the nineties, which does have its own very defining qualities and styles, but are a bit more subdued. I found that the eighties are quite broad and in your face and bright and big, and the nineties was more subdued in coffee house and grunge and soft and big and pillowy. But I do feel that now, being what thirty years out from it, like it's the right time.
Speaker 3: Can I also, will you clarify for our listeners what multikam is.
Speaker 4: Certainly so, a multiicam half hour comedy is like Your Friends or Your Seinfeld or How I Met Your Mother, and it's and it's the comedies that kind of face cheat out to the fourth wall. It looks more like theater as opposed to a single cam like thirty rocks your offices, your parks and rec which is shot through coverage through tights singles double. So it's called multicam because they have you shoot it on a sound stage and you have four big multi You've have four big cameras that are shooting at the same time, and it's rehearsed like a theater production, like a play, and it's blocked that way, and then you perform it. And SNL is arguably shot in the multiicam format.
Speaker 1: So like a show you were on, like Scrubs, what is that? That's a single camera? Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and usually there are laugh tracks. Laugh tracks are mostly on multiicams correct well.
Speaker 4: And the reason that is is because like I Love Lucy, which is technically like the first multiicam sitcom, situational comedy, and they say that Lucille Ball was like instrumental in coming up with the concept of using four cameras, which is interesting. I don't know any specifics beyond that, but I do love it. It's like I want to get out of here bringing three more cameras and let's just shoot. Let's shoot it in one. But those multiicam shows frequently have a live audience have the rights there, right, and so early on the laughter you're hearing is the laughter of the people who are watching the show as if it were a play. Now more and more they use canned laughter, and certainly in the last two year. Did you guys hear about the pandemic? Okay, I heard something about it, so yeah, because of that thing, obviously, people haven't been gathering to watch anything until until recently.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you for that explanation.
Speaker 2: So you're giving it a yes, Stalgia, yes, and Jonah, what about you?
Speaker 1: I'm kind of torn. I mean, this is not really the show's fault. It just makes me feel incredibly old that this exists, so that that I don't like. I do think to Terrence point, I do think the nineties are sort of the last definable like decade where there's like a definable style. I feel like it would be really hard to make a show about like the two thousands or the twenty tens or something. Even I know we're closer to them, but it just feels like they're just like a hodgepodge of these other things from the past, like the eight seventies, sixties, seventies, eighties, nineties, those feel more distinctive, So I think it makes sense. I can't see myself actually ever watching this show. But I can also see, you know, maybe people liking it. I guess I'll say, I'm just totally ambivalent about it. I'll give it a nostalgia just because I'm like a super nice guy, but I don't feel a strong, strong connection to it.
Speaker 4: It's a pitys it's a pity.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's a pity. Yes, yeah, Vanessa, what about you?
Speaker 2: Well, I will say I'm very influenced by Terren's opinions on media because he has usually strong opinions. So I'm I'm convinced because Terren gives it a gestalgia, I give it a gestalgia.
Speaker 4: Okay, Wow, It'll all come down to casting, you know. But I just love the multiicam format. I love live performance. It's one of the things I loved most about being on Saturday Night Live is you're performing for a crowd.
Speaker 2: You know, yes, totally. Now tear in this next topic, the thing that's coming back. I'm I'm curious what you'll think of this. Cream Savers is our returning to shelves after ten years.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: If you're a candy lover, you may remember cream Savers. They used to come in many different fruit, tropical and dessert flavors before they were discontinued in twenty eleven. But now they are bringing back the two most popular flavors, strawberries and cream and orange and cream, and they'll only be available at Big Lots stores. I guess that that started in September, so about a month months ago.
Speaker 3: Cream Savers? Do you remember?
Speaker 2: Cream Savers were like they were like were There's Original candies? Kind of They were kind of like were There's Originals hard candies, except they were like a circle and they had like one flavor of fruit and cream like in a swirl.
Speaker 4: Cream Savers? Why don't they just call them abstinence candies?
Speaker 3: Okay? Do you not remember them?
Speaker 4: I genuinely don't, and just I've heard nothing since you first said cream Savers and it's a real hard nostalgia for me.
Speaker 1: Wo Okay, Well, what if we read a statement from their parent company that could.
Speaker 4: Change my mind?
Speaker 3: Okay, let's hear.
Speaker 1: It, Iconic Candy LLC. This long anticipated revival comes during a time when consumers yearn for return to simpler and happier times, and.
Speaker 4: I don't yearn for your cream, Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: The newly returned cream Savers candies are ready to fulfill that dream, that irresistible.
Speaker 4: Fulfill my yearning with your cream in candy form.
Speaker 1: The irresistible mix of fresh fruits, swelled and rich cream has always been and will always be uniquely Cream Savers Candies.
Speaker 4: Oh, no nostalgia, although I will say, like, I do love a Big Lots. When I grew up, they used to be called Pick and Saves, and I loved it because if you did chores and you save money, you could buy a toy chest of toys there. Like it was always a great place to get like little plastic army men and stuff at Pick and Save. Now Big Lots, I love those places, but I will not be shopping there for any cream Shovers.
Speaker 1: I This Tress release really made me think about the negotiations happening between I looked up for the Big Lots CEO as Bruce Thorn and thinking like, okay, Bruce, we got Cream Savers on the line. They want to do an exclusive with Big Lots, Like how can we nail this? Like and just like it just seems so insane to me that like that was a whole like we got exclusivity adiation.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, well hey listen, I can I can push some cream shavers saverers. Listen, big lots can push creamsavers, but I don't want to be competing with any other marquete names. Who's gonna stop them from going to a thrifties or rouse for Creamsaver. I want them coming to big lots only if you're diluting my cream saver supply you give me no leg to standpo Ah, brustol.
Speaker 3: Now, I will say, so, Jonah, this seems is this a yes or a no?
Speaker 4: Style?
Speaker 1: This seems like I know, I'm pretty sure Olivia really likes these candies. I don't really remember them super well. I mean, maybe if I found one on the ground that was already wrapped up, I would probably try it. But would I go to Biggles no puncture holes? But would I drive to a Big Lots to get an orange flavored cream Saver? Probably? I'm gonna get a nostalgia on this one, unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Okay, I will say I'm torn on this one because I do remember them from the ninety they're so I mean, I know that they were discontinued in twenty eleven, but to me, I really associate them with like being in high school, like they were so popular. But It was the kind of thing where like you would want like a Werthers or something, and then you would get a cream saver and you'd be like okay, and you'd like eat it and it's kind of fine. But they're not something that i'd ever like seek out. And again, I know our producer Olivia really loves them, but I feel about them, and I hope this isn't I don't. I don't mean to burn this band too badly, but I feel about them like the same way that I would feel about like Sugar Ray, where like if Sugar Ray was on the radio, I'd be like, Okay, I'll listen to it, but I'd never be like, did you have the newest Sugar Ray album?
Speaker 3: Like you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Like, so again, I didn't mean to just bring in a band and you know, talk talk crap about them, But the point is I would never go like, mom.
Speaker 4: Make sure difference. Yes, Sugar Ray is spelled s U g A r r a y okay. Cream Savers is spelled c r E m e are crem Savers. Don't go fancy on me at big lots. You're not don't You're not pulling that wool over this wolf's size.
Speaker 1: I could see Bruce Thorn being like, we got to get the exclusive new Sugar Ray album only, and I could see Sugar Ray being like at this point, like sure, you know, whatever it takes.
Speaker 2: There could be some kind of cross promotion where it's like like sugar check out Sugar Ray and Cream Savers exclusively a big ones.
Speaker 4: Hey, if I know anything about Sugar Ray, they are not Cream Savers.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm gonna give it a nostalgia now because.
Speaker 4: Another thing that you haven't done yet, Vanessa, which has kind of become your catchphrase on this show, which I find hilariously ironic, is very cool. Very cool. Has become your catchphrase on this show, like very cool and it's hilarious because you did Miley Ray cyrus on Esa l which was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: It's pretty cool, Yeah, pretty cool, very cool. I guess I'd become a parody of myself.
Speaker 1: It happens to us all at some point, Vanessa. So our last nostalgian nostalgia is this is what Vanessa found, which I'm the same for the first time. So may Vanessa you can do this one.
Speaker 2: This is nineties scented Plato for adults now. Plato for Adults came out, you know, a little while back, about a year ago, and it sold out on Amazon in twenty four hours.
Speaker 3: Plato for Adults Look.
Speaker 2: Greg Lombardo, has Bro's VP of Global brand Strategy, pointed to Plato's appeal beyond kids when he said, we use it in meetings all the time. We put out a few cans, and it helps with the process of creation. I don't know if people really grow out of Plato, said from a true you know, guy who wants to sell Plato.
Speaker 1: But yeah, no, no, no ulterior motive there. Yeah, because selling it.
Speaker 2: But what's coming out is nineties scented nineties scented Plato. And so this is this think the nineties are over, Like as if the product description reads, We've totally brought back the best of the decade and this hilariously giftable six pack of scented adult Plato compound. Now inside you'll find riffs on nineties favorites, and these are the flavors that they have o to boy Band, VHS, Rental and Chill, Pump Up the Jams, Jamsuzy at the end of Jams, Dial Up Delight, Small Food Court, and Flannel Fresh which Hasbro says, we'll bring back some of your favorite nineties memories.
Speaker 3: What do you think.
Speaker 4: I'm intrigued, but I would have to try it first. Cauz like, I like, I like the ambition of it, and I like, it's not at all what I thought it was. From the name. I thought it was like we did orange grape lemon from the nineties and we're bringing that back.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then my second guess was like, is it ninety flavors? And it wasn't that it was, but it's literally like concepts of the nineties in flavor form, which is kind of a cool, bold thing, Like oh wow, I don't how'd you think of that? But I think it'd be a very quick nostalgia if I lift it up and just go, oh, that's just vanilla right right, you know what I mean? Like, yeah, so is there a a nasstaalgia maystalgia? I don't know. I think in concept, I think to give it just from giving it a trade a chance, I'll go, yestalgia.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, yeah, so what about you?
Speaker 3: Well, I've I've said this before.
Speaker 2: The only the only scent that brings me back to the nineties is c K one because I were it to every barn butt MIT's ven in seventh grade, and so I don't know that I would Vanilla is actually a very nineties cent, like it really does because ever and like white musk from the body shop, that's what everybody would get. So I guess there are certain things, but I just don't know that there's like universal nineties cents that would really remind me of the nineties.
Speaker 3: I would have to smell them.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to give it a maybe nostalgia too, because I just I don't know if they can pull it off in a way that would actually remind me of the nineties, that would be incredible. Yeah, But also I have so much stuff in my house, Like where am I gonna put it? I'm gonna have Plato now.
Speaker 4: But the VCR one, I was like, oh, yeah, there is a smell to a VCR tape, like a metallic kind of chemically.
Speaker 3: Yeah they can.
Speaker 4: If they can master that, that's pretty cool, and I guess.
Speaker 3: Very cool and pretty goal.
Speaker 2: I guess that, like this point of these isn't necessarily for them to be pleasant smells. It's just for them to be smells that bring you back to the nineties, Right, Yeah, I don't know, what do you think.
Speaker 1: I have a kind of like more thoughts on this than I thought I would. I mean, I feel like, you know, obviously, like I'm thinking of this more from like a business perspective, I guess, but I'm like, okay, uh plato, adult plato, Okay, Like, what's what's cool? What's cool? Nostalgia? The nineties are back?
Speaker 4: What do we do?
Speaker 1: Okay, we make like nineties nostalgia play dough and then that Greg Lombardo comes in, you know, this hot shot of Hasbro and you know he's a to me, it just it feels like hypocritical, being like nostalgia's trendy when we're doing basically a nostalgia podcast. I feel like I can't be too critical of that, right, but I feel like this thing of him like saying like we use this in meetings, I don't think will grow out like this is so cool. It's like there's no way that these Hasbro executives are sitting around meetings being like can you pass that plato? Like these guys are probably talking about their stock options, they're talking about you know, like me, there's something very disingenuine about this whole like this whole vibe of this thing. It seems like what's popular? How do we get our product in there? And then like let's make up some stuff about how it's relevant. I don't know, what do you guys think about my take on it?
Speaker 3: I think you've got a good take on it. Off that guy like the idea of Greg.
Speaker 2: I keep seeing the idea of Greg Lombardo, like going into a conference room and like throwing a thing of Plato to like another person sitting at the commerce table and being like, we need to get sales up, spart think fast and they throw throwing plade out and just like be and like you know, and like let's let's uh, you guys, we got we gotta think on this, and then like throwing the Plato around to like whoever talks.
Speaker 4: More like what's the situation where it works?
Speaker 6: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Like like Heather, Heather, who's like a junior exec and trying to work her way up, just like needing some purple Plato in the corner, and she's like, guys, guys, hold on a second, look at what this looks like. Doesn't this look like a VCR? What if we could get this purple plato to smell like a VCR.
Speaker 3: And then they're like and they.
Speaker 4: Lose their mind. They just go like there there there, there, Hea there, and then Greg Lombardo goes, well, I guess Hasro's got a new hotshot.
Speaker 3: And he goes, Heather, why don't you, why don't you take that office in the corner.
Speaker 1: It's yours.
Speaker 4: Now, let all.
Speaker 3: Go, and you don't have to call me by that name. Call me by my first name, and I'll fetch my own coffee.
Speaker 4: We're referencing working girl.
Speaker 1: Wow, Terren.
Speaker 3: Jonah, what were your maybe, Stalgia.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm saying nostalgia just based on Gregg's whole attitude and just.
Speaker 4: Too much Greg that.
Speaker 3: I want.
Speaker 2: I liked the song and Terran, thank you so much for being on the Is there anything that we where can people find you that want to find you?
Speaker 4: I will be at Vanessa Bayer's fortieth birthday party next weekend. Come check it out. I'll be at my own fortieth birthday party up in Sandy, NZ April twenty fifth, twenty six. Come check that too. Invites to come shortly. I did a thing on Crime Story that was very fun and it was nice of them to let me be on that. And I'm going to be in the Holiday special episode of Mister Mayor, starring fan and friend of How Do We Get Weird Podcast Bobby moynihan.
Speaker 3: Wow, oh my gosh, everyone is going to be.
Speaker 1: Tune in for that.
Speaker 3: Tune in for that.
Speaker 1: Well, that was really fun, Vanessa and Terarran. Thank you so much Darren for coming by. If you enjoyed that as a listener, please subscribe to podcast and keep an eye out for next week's episode of How Do We Get Weird? We would discuss more stories from our childhood and cultural milestones like our childhood, birthday parties.
Speaker 3: And all those things.
Speaker 1: Just come back every week.
Speaker 4: I love you guys, I'll hang with you anytime.
Speaker 3: We look forward to having you back as soon as an accustomedly can.
Speaker 4: Even though technically the first guess you ever had, I would love to be the first official gu
Speaker 3: Yes, sorry, we can use you this podcast, but this one's betting better.