Speaker 1: Hello, Puzzlers. Welcome to the Puzzler Podcast the Purple Mountains Majesty above the Fruited Puzzle Plane. I am your host, AJ Jacobs, and today's guest is the amazing Stephen Domnr. Author, journalist and host of Freakonomics Radio. Welcome Stephen, Thank you Aj very much. And actually, Stephen, I don't know this, even though we are friends, I forget. Are you a puzzle fans, crosswords, Sudoku, any of that?
Speaker 2: I'm well, I like them, but I don't do them.
Speaker 1: You admire them from afar.
Speaker 2: No, I mean I would like to do them, but I feel like life is a series of choices and that you're constantly making and often revising and changing.
Speaker 1: True.
Speaker 2: But when I was when I was a young lad and I learned the notion of opportunity cost, which is kind of one of the essential things, essential concepts in economics, I was really taken with it. It's just, you know, it basically just says it for every you know, hour or dollar or brain cell that you spend on one thing is a dollar, hour, et cetera. You can't spend on something else. And so also there was a maxim taught by either Stella, Stella Adler and or Stanislavsky, with whom Stella Adler studied, And this was in the instruction of acting, and the maxim was your choice is your talent. And I've always been very, very taken with that. And so I waste a lot of time in my life, like everybody does. But one way I've chosen to not quote waste no offense is by doing I do take events, is by doing that kind of entertainment. Although I will say this, I really really, really really like backgammon.
Speaker 1: Which is puzzle adjacent. Yeah. Well, two quick follow ups. One, I wrote a whole book on why puzzles are not a waste of time but are going to save the world.
Speaker 3: I am.
Speaker 2: I am aware of that, and I am aware that I'm challenging the orthodoxy of not only you, but this program, and that is I apologize.
Speaker 1: And secondly, the opportunity cost, I would argue everything when whenever you're not doing a puzzle, then that's the opportunity cost to.
Speaker 2: Life. Is a puzzle, you're saying, and if you're not solving at the moment, you're just wasting your time.
Speaker 1: Exactly, all right. So that said, whether or not you love puzzles. You do love words. You are a fan of words and ideas, and I do too. And one of my favorite types of words or categories are the nims. The ny ms so short for names. So you've got pseudonym. Of course, it's the fictional name. Authors sometimes use eponym, which is when you use a proper noun, like googling or scotch tape. One of my favorites, which I learned recently, was the capital nim. I don't know if you've ever heard of.
Speaker 2: That, I think I do. Well, wait, do you mean not a demonem? I don't know demon it's actually wait, it's actually called capital Wait, capital nim. That's the that's the word.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you mine, and you tell me your mine. Is that you change the case of the letter, and it changes the meaning and pronunciation of the word Polish and Polish. Polish and Polish is the most famous capital nime. Well, what is a demonym?
Speaker 2: I don't a demonem? A deminem is? I believe I could very well be wrong, but I believe it's the word that denotes uh where someone is from. So a New Yorker, a Minnesota, and a Michigander.
Speaker 1: That interesting. Gotcha. Our puzzle is another great nim which is the retronym, which I had not heard of. But this is actually from our chief puzzle officer, Greg Pliska. And I'll give you an example of a retronym. Before the invention of the electric guitar, we never needed the term acoustic guitar because all guitars were acoustic. So the term acoustic guitar is a retronym, a word that you have to form to distinguish it from an already existing thing. So the new version creates a new word for the old version. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Love it? I didn't know there was a word for that level name.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we're going to give you some clues and you will tell us what the retronym is that I am cluing. So, for instance, and this one doesn't count, so low Steaks sell phones and mobile phones, they created the retronym landline that just did not exist.
Speaker 2: Beautiful, all right?
Speaker 1: What about this? This is a retronym that came about after the introduction of two one percent non fat and skim.
Speaker 2: M I know that one. I grew up with cows or a cow, so I know that whole milk was the only milk, although I will say this, when you grow up with the cow and you go get your milk from the cow, you we would milk the cow, you know, into a bucket. Then we poured into these one gallon glass or plastic jars that came from like industrial sized mayonnaise, and then you let it sit and then the cream, as we all know, rises to the top quite literally, and then you would skim off the cream and do other stuff with it, like make whipped cream and maybe butter. So even though it is true that we think of whole milk as like a hole in the adjectival sense, not as whole as you might think that.
Speaker 1: First of all, I knew you grew up on a farm, but that you were out there every morning milking the cow.
Speaker 2: I was not out there every morning. I was the youngest of eight and by the time I was probably seven eight nine years old, we no longer had a cow because most of the other kids had gone off to college and whatnot, and there wasn't as much need to have our own cow. We would go to a nearby person to get milk, so I was never actually a milker.
Speaker 1: Amazing look at that, all right, this retronym. This is actually probably the most famous product retronym, and it came about after the introduction of New Coke. And you might have even done a Freakonomics episode on it. Perhaps not so, I guess you're looking for Classic Coke I am. Indeed, Coca Cola Classic only existed from nineteen eighty five to two thousand and nine during the failed New Coke experiment here And I mean it was hilarious to read about this because for those two young to remember, they introduced a new formula of hoke tho was slightly sweeter that they thought was going to take off, and people got really really pissed, and there were accusations of communist plots all sorts of things. Okay, so this retronym came about after the addition of Alaska and Hawaii. And I will accept several retronyms. There are actually several retronyms. And it's not necessarily a word. It's it could be a phrase, as in the Coca Cola Classic.
Speaker 2: The phrase that comes to mind is probably not the right one. I think of it as like the lower forty eight or the Continental United States.
Speaker 1: Both are accepted.
Speaker 2: You both are accepted but it sounds like there might be even more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, the official term is, according to Wikipedia, the conterminous United States.
Speaker 2: That see, you know, that's what I meant to say.
Speaker 1: But the other other two fun facts, I'll just keep it to two. The lower eight is makes no sense, no, because Hawaii. Most of Hawaii is south of the Florida.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I was never comfortable with lower forty eight. It also felt slightly self flagellating to me.
Speaker 1: Oh last fun fact was that there's also the Continental United States, which includes Alaska, but not Hawaii or any of the territories. That were, all right, I'm gonna throw one. We'll just do one more.
Speaker 2: How's that I would do one hundred more? These are fun? Oh good, well this do you have a hundred?
Speaker 1: I don't have a hundred. This one is also a product not quite as famous as the classic. But this retronym came about after the introduction of peanuts to a certain small round chocolate candy, a certain small multi colored round that is not.
Speaker 2: I guess right, So there must be a word to describe the non pena eminem's Would it be plain eminem?
Speaker 1: It is? You say that like you're guessing, But you learn.
Speaker 2: I didn't want to. I didn't want to say it because again that feels kind of judgy clan.
Speaker 1: It's true, well, it's what they they chose it, so they made their bed. Like it says on the name plane, Eminem's plane is what you're right. Nowadays they wouldn't do it. This was nineteen fifty four.
Speaker 2: I mean I could see original or familiar or you know, like loved ones.
Speaker 1: But plean, Yeah, you're right, you're absolutely right. That was that they didn't know marketing back then. They didn't know what the hell they were doing. All Right, we'll leave it there because you know, we can always return to retronyms at some other time.
Speaker 2: But I said that it's over to agents.
Speaker 1: Will we have other things to tell you, don't worry, but you could still play long because I'm going to give one as okay, as an extra credit for the listeners at home. This retronym came about because of the electronic versions of documents, your PDFs, etc. All right, So with that we will say goodbye about puzzlers. Please don't forget to subscribe or tell your friends, and we will meet you here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles that puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 3: Hello Puzzlers. Chief Puzzle Officer Greg Pliska, here with the extra credit answer from our previous episode. We played Find the Link with Stephen J. Dubner, and I asked you this extra credit question, how many presidential surnames are also legitimate dictionary entries. So here's your answer.
Speaker 4: I think there are four words that are relatively common English words that are also presidential soames. Those would be Grant, ford as to ford, a river, bush, and Trump. You might also include Carter a person who drives a cart, and the two slang terms hoover, another term for vacuum, and Johnson, a slang term for the male genitalia. Two other words do appear in some English dictionaries polk polk to dance a polka, and tyler a person who lays tiles or a freemason's doorkeeper. So if you got all nine of those, give yourself extra credit for the extra credit. Thanks for playing with us, and we'll see you here next time.