Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 2: The Breakfast Club Morning, Everybody's DJ M V Jess hilarious, Charlamagne the guy. We are the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: We got a special guest in the building. Yes, indeed, be on Crocket. Welcome back. It's been a long time too, not that long, but long enough. You're here for a good reason though, a hip hop story. Come on, brother, come Friday. Independent. You know what I'm saying. Independently, a hip hop story. And I wanted to really emphasize because people are like when they see a movie, right, they always assume why it ain't playing near me? How come it ain't at the theater right by my house? Well, because there's no big studio behind it, you know what I mean. This is me and my boy Domain. We just put this thing out. But it just thank you, brother, it just happens to look great and it has a great message, and it's it's for the culture, by the culture.
Speaker 3: It's amazing that Domain looks so tall in person as opposed to how he looks.
Speaker 1: In the in the movie. Right because he plays the frowayre a freewayway for you.
Speaker 3: I hope you'll them put in the call to let him know it's all fun and games.
Speaker 1: Now. We spoke to him on Live theother day. Freeway is our brother. Man. He loves, he loves the energy around it, and he's amazing if you need to love the energy around it before you. But he's seen us do the impersonations before, man, so it's all love and it's all love. Charlamagne, you're trying to start ship.
Speaker 3: I was just like, I was like, why free Way, why Freeway getting all these shots?
Speaker 1: Because he saves the days, the hero. What are you talking about? He got to go through a few trials and tribulations and jokes. It's a comedy. We gotta we gotta make fun of people. We all get some strays.
Speaker 4: And when you said this is independent, it's completely independent. Shout out to you for writing and producing it too, Like, ma'am, that's amazing. I love saying it because I love seeing us do things like that.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 4: I want just to figure back what you said off of, like how he's trying to start stuff with the impersonations and people getting people to play them. Has anybody ever like been offended by you like doing impersonations.
Speaker 1: Or just nah, I'm the I'm the guy that they I'm friends with all of these people first of all, and then you know I'm the guy that I'm the hip hop weird al where I've become the guy that they know. I'm showing love to them, and it's like a it's like I'm giving they know I'm giving them flowers, you know what I'm saying. And so it's almost like a badge of honor. Like NAS asked me, man, why you ain't never did an impression to me? So when I when I hear a god MC asking me to do an impression, that means I mean something to the culture. So this is a love letter to everybody in the culture, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: When when I was watching the movie, the thing I kept thinking about was this is the only vehicle Avion could showcase all of these skills that in one.
Speaker 1: Play and placause you've been doing all these characters forever.
Speaker 3: But it's like, I don't know, Hollywood, wuldver understand exactly what it is you do, Like you would have to do this on your own.
Speaker 1: Well, that's it's funny you picked up on that, because that's why I originally wrote it. I wrote this back in two thousand and eight. So when I did it, that was at the time me and Domaine was doing all of the the YouTube parodies and everybody every time I go, someone, yo, do jay Z, do this? Do that? And I was like, I'm tired of doing these goddamn impressions. Why don't I just put them all in one project, So y'all can have all the impressions in one one sitting, and I'm done with them. That's how I thought at the time, But now it's just like, all right, it's I'm gonna use all my tools and to my advantage. You know, how many do you do in the movie?
Speaker 2: How many impersonations?
Speaker 1: I still haven't counted, but it's probably twelve.
Speaker 5: Russell, Jay, Jas, Luda Cornell, Web, Drakez, Joe, Joe Budden h did we say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Drake Ship, Will Smith Fresh Prince, Oh yeah. And I'm doing Biggie's voice for Cedric on the rat. Yeah. It's a lot. It's a lot, man, Dang we cooking. But when I say it's independent, I mean I literally paid for this movie with stand up tour money, right. He demand had all the cameras in the film. Know how we both know how to edit, we both know how to produce, so this was really uh an effort. So to see that when I dropped that trailer, to see it spread around the Internet as fast as it did within a day, and to see all the culture from Snoop to Exhibit to Cedric to deon Cole Russell Simmons, like everybody was posting this joint and just rallying behind it, you know what I'm saying. So I'm just thankful to the culture for seeing it for what it is. I don't think it was real at first. Yeah, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: You played so many games sometimes that I was like.
Speaker 1: What do you mean, I don't think it was real. I was like, me, it's a funny trailer. Thought it was like a sketch trailer. I did. I can see that because you always playing rightfully, so I do play a lot. But you know, I'm also very serious.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize it was a real movie about two weeks ago. I saw the trailer and I was like, that's a funny trailer. But then if I saw people like Charlie Mack and everybody keep posting it, and I saw the post I'm like oh this is really a movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh yeah, because everybody used to his parodies like nah, but you see certain people posting it's.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, I gotta be all the time. So yeah, you seeing Snoop. Snoop is one of the biggest fans man. He's like really championing the movie right now too. But again, this is my love letter to the culture. But we put some production value into it too, Like it ain't. It ain't like some bootleg kind of cheesy movie. We got lighting, we got cameras, we got the whole situation, and it's a it's a great story.
Speaker 3: We gave you the idea of him because you said you started in two thousand and eight, but it feels so timely because last year it was the fiftieth year.
Speaker 1: Yeah hip ho. Yeah. So I wrote it in two thousand and eight, and because I incorporated so much of hip hop history and the nostalgia that doesn't change, right, So the only thing I had to change reference wise was some of the some of the newer references, like in the original scripts when they were trying to go around and get the message of hip hop back out to the culture. We went to places like one O six in Park and Tavis Smiley Show. So I just swapped that out for you know what I mean, like Funk Flex and Joe Budden and all that. So you know what I mean. Did you ever consider not playing all those roles in the movie?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 1: Not, the ones that I knew that I could play. I never considered like switching them out. The only one that I wasn't supposed to play was ghost the ghost Face character. But you know, we had a we had a situation and I had to step in at the last minute and to do do what I had to do. But no, I always wanted to showcase myself and my friends, like the main place three characters, Puff Freeway, who else? Mo D? Yeah, oh my god, bodies D in the in the flashback scene that we showcase some really historic moments. So the battle between Kumo D and Busy B, which was the time when lyricism was now like the showcase, you know, even though we had Graham Astercas and those guys doing it, that was the battle that made people say, Okay, I want to go away from party MC into lyricism. And so we wanted to just showcase real moments in hip hop history interlaced with comedy.
Speaker 2: How much homework did you have to do? A lot of this stuff you grew up on and you knew already.
Speaker 1: I knew a lot of it. A lot of it was already living in my brain. What I did do was research on like dates, times, people's ages so it could be realistic to our portrayals of them. You know what I mean. Theaters whit theaters. Yeah, we have a deal with AMC. We have a close friend over there that was like presented the idea to us, and I'm like, the streaming game is amazing, but a movie like this you need to see in theaters. It's a difference between looking at or listening to an album on your phone versus listening to it in the studio or in your car. Like this is a hip hop movie. It's a musical, right, so the beats in the in the rhymes, if you listen to it in the theater, Like when we had our premieeres the two screens that we've had, you see people in the theater like doing this. They nodding their head and they rocking and they're cheering. After the finale song. I won't say what it is, but after that finale song, they are cheering in the theater, so we wanted to have that movie going experience, and because we have a connection over there with AMC, it just felt like a good look for us. You know, most movies have a thousand to four thousand, those big budget movies, those superhero movies, they have four thousand locations. We were like, all right, give us one hundred and fifty and let us just work with that. And that's plenty for us because again, we don't have big marketing dollars behind us. It's my stand up money, you understand me, So call you called in a lot of favors to this. Of course, man, this game is all about relationship absolutely. I mean even me being here with y'all, Like I just put out the call Eddie, and you know, y'all show love to me all the time. So I was like, yeah, I want to promote this indie movie and that's why I'm here. So same with the movie. I called Cedric Little Real. It was all text messages. Charlie Max, he put in calls little Mama, came out, she played the m C light boy. But everybody was perfectly cast. It was it was everyone that I had in my mind that I wanted to play these roles. They all showed up for me.
Speaker 6: Give us the sense of the budget, Nope, five million like mine your own, god damn business.
Speaker 1: The sense of the budget is minya got damn Who may want to do the whole independent film?
Speaker 5: Nah?
Speaker 1: The ball park range. They be shooting on their phone. You keep shooting on their phone. We got other things we're doing over here. Charlemagne, I'm gonna come to you next time. You're gonna invest He got it?
Speaker 4: Oh, we got it, got we got you got them to be in it, Jackson.
Speaker 1: Fuck that charlam is gonna be an actor. I'm gonna turn him into a Morpheus. Nigga. You get talk with the perfect eyebrows, already got those.
Speaker 2: That's not you get tired of doing impersonations?
Speaker 1: Is it one of the things?
Speaker 2: Like it's like I'm tired of doing a goddamn pressice time.
Speaker 1: When I when I wrote the movie, that's when I was tired of it because I was like, I want the world to see me for whatever. Now, I don't give a shit. Love me for how you love me, you know what I'm saying. However, you recognize me, have you whatever you you take on if you just know me from an Instagram post, it's all.
Speaker 2: What's your favorite one to do?
Speaker 1: I don't have a favorite impression to do. I just I just do them. But my my favorite new one, because it's been so well received in these screenings, is Cornell West. I didn't I've never seen you do. I never seen anybody hilarious. I've seen a couple of people do it, but I just did my own take on them. But that was my first time doing them. I didn't even know I could really do it. So I just told my makeup artist, I said, just give me the wig, give me the gap and the teeth, And once I had the whole garb on, Charlie Mack almost passed out laughing. He just couldn't contain himself. It was just so funny to him. So that's when I knew the look was right on. And then when the cameras game was, you know, I want to get down here into the breakfast cloud, even though they don't have no eggs, bakers, our vocado toad.
Speaker 7: You see you see Charla Madney, Yeah, Charla Madney understands what the eyebrows mean to the black people.
Speaker 1: You see, you see y see Now, why do they have Jet sitting in a gender you see? I don't know, because she's the queen of the gender people. You see.
Speaker 3: It's just immortalized those characters forever. Like, do you even do off? You do jay Z anymore? Do you do Russell anymore?
Speaker 1: After that? Yeah? Okay, yeah you have to. I mean the two that you just named, Jay and Russell, they're fans of my impression of them. Rus love it. So it's like, uh, and this movie is one of those movies that's gonna live on forever, even though we set out to do it with our our hopes and you know, let's see what it does. Let's let's see we can make a movie. Now that we have it done and you can see it, it's gonna live on forever. What is hip hop culchy to you?
Speaker 3: Because I always thought about this because even back in the day when y'all used to do the sketches you and Nick, it always kind of felt like y'all was making fun of down South music.
Speaker 1: Nah, what we made fun of is lazy music, okay, because that's that's the distinction. In the movie, the barbershop scene shows you that this conversation between old heads and young heads and old music versus young It's always been a conversation. You know, that Barbershops scene was about blues versus soul. So that's me pointing out saying, look, as old heads, we gotta stop saying that the young generation is trash or that they we just don't understand them. Were older. We're not supposed to understand them. But all of them are. Some of them are great. The same way, there's some garbage old niggas. Everybody in the nineties was not fire, you know what I mean, So we can't sit back and be like your hip hop always been fired. There's some garbage niggas in the eighties and the nineties, right, So there's some lazy young rappers. And then we got Simba, and we got l Russell. We got some dope, dope guys out here. UZI Vert is a bee boy, you know what I mean. He chooses to do songs like I just want to rock, and that's him having fun. He has the creative artistic freedom to do that. But that dude's really a bee boy. He will win mill on your ass, he will do some flares, he will top rock on you. So you can't say he's not of the culture. So it's just to point out to say, look, we gotta stop bickering. We use the young people as a device to get the backpack character, Jay Bum to have something to be like, Yo, man, hip hop is fucked up. And when he goes to the Rosco Russell character, that gives him the incentive to point Russell around to say hip hop is fucked up. But as we start going down the journey, black culture starts to be put on the spotlight and the elites of the black culture start to be you know, so we all are responsible for where we are as a culture.
Speaker 3: Because it wasn't about, you know, just hip hop being bad. It was what the negative impact is having on people.
Speaker 1: More so about that, yeah, more so about you know, the deaths and you know, the drug overdoses. It's been a lot more of that in the last fifteen years than we've ever seen in hip hop. Chris Rock, that's another character, you play, Craig, and he did the whole hell, but god, they do a whole, a whole I wanted to do a whole stand up special in the movie of Chris Rock just talking about hip hop. In the Brilliant way that he breaks down everything. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I see you comedians are crazy in these rappers right now.
Speaker 1: You know I used to always say this in inter of your other man comedians, we're not rappers, man, let's let's not be let's not let's not beef with each other and do all that. But it's it's really there now get worse. Why though, I don't know. I have nothing to do with it. I've never been the guy that that brings his personal beefs into the public. If I say anything about somebody that's gonna be positive. I have positive things to say about all these guys. But you know that that's not a popular message. You know what I'm saying. So I just stay out of it. Has nothing to do with me. I don't I don't ever get involved in that kind of stuff. If I got a problem with you, me and you could talk about it. It's as simple as that. Like we've grown as fuck. Like why why am I on a microphone talking about anybody. I'm gonna just call you and if we could work it out, we can work it out. If not, I just don't mess with you.
Speaker 4: Do you feel like it hurts or helps comedy.
Speaker 1: I think it divides the audience. It makes the audience have to choose. And we're in such a we're in a Dick riding society, so people who want to choose, uh, they want to rally behind whoever they think is whatever. And so yeah, it definitely can divide the audience. And I think we're more We're just more of a beautiful creative people that that ship. We don't.
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 1: It's not me, you don't not me.
Speaker 3: I agree with the Dick riding society and the best Dick changes from moment to moment.
Speaker 1: Running back.
Speaker 4: But over there, over there that you can't even impersonate.
Speaker 1: Why that that's a new movie.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm trying to say, is whoever people think trying to say that whoever said people think is hot, they hot from Dick based on the moment whoa look.
Speaker 1: Like it was in January then there was more nique, you know what I'm saying. So it looks like when I said it's a Dick riding society, we could have left the analogy we understood it Dick that was that was something different. You could have came through with your own addition to the same problem would be a consistent dick ride, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, God, Yo, you want to talk about who Dick?
Speaker 1: Wow? He just went with it. Was got weird. How involved with Charlie Mack into making of this? You're gonna go from follow them dick? Don't make Charlie following them dicks? How dare you? Charla Mane can come up with another question? Charlie his first out di limo, first out, the first out, the port on, no matter where you go after that. So you can leave now? Can we got done with all? Right? We're done with done with Dick. We delivered. But look, look I have a Dick. It's all good, Charlie. Charlie's big bro's he's hip hop, He's the connector. There's not a call that he will not make. You know what I'm saying. The first person that saw this movie in full was Will Smith. Because of Charlie Mack, Me and Charlie went to Will's theater and screened it for him. Will gave me forty five minutes of filmmaking gems after that, just wisdom, and he loved the movie. And we saw him at the fiftiest celebration of hip hop where he the first time he performed again and he was telling people back said, yo yo Apion has this movie. Hey it plays like forty people right, great, but yeah, that's first. I was just trying to move away from the dicks.
Speaker 3: Did you ever think about having the real characters in because there's a moment where Fredro's in there.
Speaker 1: We wanted to have a mix of that just to make it grounded, to make it feel valid, to make it really feel like they were sitting next to a rustle, and then when you see Jay, you really want to feel like it's Jay. So yeah, we did purposely sprinkle in some real ogs just to yeah, give it that real hip hop, grounded feeling.
Speaker 2: Is there any character that you tried to catch that you just couldn't catch? It was like I tried, but it's just it's not fitting.
Speaker 1: Right impression wise. No, everything that we that was on the page the movie is pretty much what was on the page, So we were able to cast it or play the roles that we wanted. Shout out to my boy Jevin smith Man, Jevin smith he played fifty or forty five cent two short e forty that dude man. We all been rocking together for like twenty years YouTube doing all of the spoofs. But yeah, he's one of those guys that transforms also. You know, there's a lot of people that do impersonations, but to be able to transform your face enough to where it looks like you really believe that that's the person, you know, he one of them dudes.
Speaker 3: So that one scene when it's a is you playing Cornell and Joe Budden at the same time? Is that difficult to pull off? So my body double is my security. Carlos, this is my god. We just happened to be the same size. He's more muscles than me.
Speaker 1: But the for the characters that we were playing, he was able to play the Roscoe when I needed him to. He was the second Joe Budden when I'm Cornell. So it just all blended the right way.
Speaker 3: Were you concerned about portraying Russell because of like the controversy surrounding him.
Speaker 1: I wrote it in two thousand and eight, so you know what I mean, before all of that stuff happened. I just I made the movie about the culture, you know what I mean? I was it wasn't a thing to emphasize anybody's cases. I don't. I'm not in that world, so I don't know. So I just made it funny enough and universal enough to where it's about the culture and we're just telling a story about hip hop.
Speaker 3: And if you tell a story about hip hop, you can't tell it without talking about fact.
Speaker 1: I mean, he can't tell it aout talking about did you have to? He contributed? And then we also wanted to do characters that we could convincingly portray. You know what I'm saying. He's somebody that I've been doing impressions of for so long. And then the whole yoga thing, like me and my my tidy whities. I just thought it was a funny device to use, and then to have a narration of him with the lisp the whole movie why not.
Speaker 4: Moment?
Speaker 1: Do you think you want to offend the lip list community? You mean like yourself? Yes? Did you? Were you sharp? Were you offended? Watching the movie? No? Listeners like the listeners all over the place protesting he goes to the club, He'd be like, am I on the list?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 1: Where where where can we find this movie? Off?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: AMC No, it's very lim that it's only one hundred and fifty nine okay, one hundred fifty nine. Go to AMC Theaters dot com search a hip hop story and just see where it pops up in your area. It's one hundred and fifty nine locations. And uh yeah, the people, the people will determine how successful this movie is in theaters, and then we'll we'll figure out the streaming deal or the streaming platform that we want to go to after that. But right now, if you want to enjoy the movie, you'll see it this weekend.
Speaker 3: What's considered the success, like, well, you need to like make your money back some profit.
Speaker 1: This is a bird going back to the budget situation, eighty million, eighty to one hundred million, that'd be fantastic. That would be great period. That'd be a big eighty million Charlamagne. Bob Marley just did seventy. We love that worldwide salute to the Marley film man. For sure.
Speaker 2: I'm about to ask to what you do is sketch it so early? Did you get your yea necessary I should say profit or check from YouTube because you were doing it before it was cool man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I wasn't. I wasn't. They didn't even have the partner program when I was doing it, you know what I mean, the only thing that I got at the time. We would get like some brands that'd be like, hey, man, we'll give you a couple of dollars to throw this brand in here or whatever. But for the most part, no, we just got cloud props. And I learned the social media game before a lot of people were on it, which is what makes me still relevant to this day because I'm not the old head. I was never the old head that was like, man, fuck these young niggas, fu fuck, just hilarious. She using her phone, that's cheating. I embraced it from day one because I if you can use any platform, why wouldn't you use it? Why would you be that nigga? I always say, like, that's as dumb as when they put power windows in cars. You the old niggas. I'm man, I need to roll that shit down. I don't want to push no buttons. I roll shit down. It made me more comfortable with how I feel about things. You not a real nigga. If you're not rolling it down, you ain't real. Right what use every platform and just adjust to the times. Old niggas.
Speaker 3: Other than stand up sketches, the hardest comedy to me, though, why it.
Speaker 1: Is very good. I don't think miny artis. I don't think many people are. In the history of comedy. I don't think there's been too many people who are funny at sketch where there's a difference between skits and sketches. Oh okay, Online is where you see a lot of skits and a lot of it is, you know, rehashed. People are borrowing from this person that person, and it's all good. Like there's nothing new under the sun, so somebody's gonna think about the same idea. Right, But long form sketch. That's why In Living Color was so impactful. Absolutely, That's why Saturday Night Live is an institution. Chappelle Right, Chappelle Show, long form listen. Chappelle was so unorthodox with sketch he did. He broke the mold right some episodes he did traditional sketch three minutes, let's go to commercial break, then come back to another whole new sketch. The Rick James and the Prince of Charlie Murphy story was the entire episode. So he broke the mot He told a long form sketch in thirty minutes, and it was funny. Every time they came back and it just kept upping the ante. So sketch is a whole different art form and you have to know how to write. You have to understand story, and it takes you to a different level. Skits that's that's what people do on the internet, and it's great, like it's making them money. But if you want to entertain people and be able to hold their attention and do a film or long form sketch, you have to know how to write. You have to know some old school principles. I never thought about the different struct that makes Well.
Speaker 3: Why do you think you know early on you didn't take off which sketch the way you should have. I think, how do you remember I remember Short Circuit back in the day that was like what seven?
Speaker 1: That was before? Yeah, I don't know. I think I think at some point there were sketch was oversaturated, you know what I mean, and networks didn't want to take the chance on it. I mean, Fox gave me a chance to do it, but they put me with all the wrong executives. When I had to explain to them who Manny Pacil and Drake were at the time, I was just like, Wow, this is the journey that we're on. Nah, So you know, it's just the wrong people doing this. So that's why I went to YouTube and just started doing my own ideas, because it's like, why am I waiting around for somebody to give me anything. We've always been like, let's just do it, let's just go shoot it. So you know, I feel like sketch has gotten me everywhere. You know what I mean, how you might judge it because you missed the numbers and want to no budgets. It might be a different.
Speaker 3: You've always been one of the best doing sketch, But that just shows me that, you know, Hollywood don't know what the they be talking about.
Speaker 1: All. That's why we do our own independent movies because you know, you can't audition for the same casting directors all the time because they want to A lot of them like to hire their friends and you know it's that thing too, But uh, when you show them what it is you want to do, it changes the conversation for you, you know what I mean. It's the same thing that Ryan Cooler Michael b did with fruit Vale Station. Like they made a movie about a very serious, real life event, but they presented themselves as no, we are those guys. We really know how to make these stories come to life. And that's what me and Demaine did with a hip hop story.
Speaker 3: And you've been building that based online for so long that those same people will show up just Friday.
Speaker 1: That's right, man, Come on, say it again, Charlemagne, I forgot what I said now.
Speaker 3: People, Yes, you've been building your based online for so long that those same people are gonna.
Speaker 1: Show up this Friday. There you go, right, you got a real base, yes day.
Speaker 2: The hip Hop Story is out this Friday, and we appreciate you for joining us.
Speaker 1: Brother, appreciate are you trying Tomaine for bringing up Dix Dix budgets, Dix Budgets.
Speaker 4: It's the Breakfast Club wakes up in the morning, The Breakfast Club