Speaker 1: Late fifteen to ten touched up sucks. What's up?
Speaker 2: Guys?
Speaker 1: Welcome into a brand new episode of Chargers Weekly, as always, joined by Matt Muney Smith. Buddy, We are less than a week away from the NFL Scouting Combine Q and A with the fans today, but I cannot wait for next week. We got a lot of surprises, we do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was kind of going through the questions to prep for today's pod, and I know there was kind of there were a couple in there about the combine, but I'll just kind of knock one out, sorry, Chris real quick, you know, because you said the combine. When are we gonna start hearing from coaches at the combine? I think we'll probably catch up with a couple of the coaches. Position coaches go out to the combine to evaluate the talent they fly in for the day of the drills for their respective position groups that they coach, and so the hope is that we'll catch up with a few of them while we're out there. But I'm excited. Obviously used to cover the Combine for a decade plus with the NFL Network and NFL dot Com. Some of my favorite things, if not my favorite thing I've ever done in sports. When they, you know, before the NFL realized the mistake they had made, they would put us on the field. They would let me just have complete free reign of the field with Bucky dj when he first got started, lanzerline, Ike Taylor, Maurice Jones, Drew, They're about seven or eight of us, and we just had all access. We could go anywhere, stand exactly wherever we wanted. I was maybe ten feet from Justin Herbert during his throwing drills when he came out. I remember the RG three and Andrew luckyar standing at the finish line when they're running their forties, watching Andrew Luck doing the vert and the broad jump, and so the combine has always had a I've always had a very special connection. You know. I really enjoy it. I know some people think it's a bit ridiculous, but just having been in the thick of it for as many years as I was, I do know how important it is and how much can change coming out of the combine. People try to minimize it, but I've seen it firsthand. I've seen Tron Armstead go from someone absolutely nobody knew who he was Arkansas pine Bluff to a mid round pick, and now one of the best should have been a first round pick, but everyone's still like, eh, I don't know about the production, but you could see it on the field, just the way he moved. Things like that end up happening every single year at the Combine, So I'm excited.
Speaker 1: It's my favorite event on the NFL calendar by far. I think the Draft is second. Everybody has hope in March, and there's just so many things happening at the Combine. Money, independent of the workouts and the interviews. I mean, it's a starter free agency, just new coaches especially. I think the last time I was there was the Herbert year pre pandemic. And when you have a top five pick or a top ten pick, or if you have a new coach, new GM, it just makes the event even more magnified. So I can't wait to dig in and talk to some of the position coaches and just look at some of these prospects, because at number five overall, we talked to Joe a couple of weeks ago, and you know, I feel like this is a team that could do so many different things at number five, and a lot of it is just contingent on the quarterbacks. Like the quarterbacks don't affect the Chargers because they don't need one, but they do because if somebody wants one and one's available at number five. Overall, you may get a haul that in years past you wouldn't get because this class is so strong, and I think they're projecting that this class in comparison to next year's class, if you want a quarterback, this is probably the year to get it.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, it's not close as far as just especially at the top. Caleb Williams, Drake May when you're talking about next year at the top, and you know, I guess Quinn Youwers is probably the headliner as it stands right now. I don't know what kind of Carson Beck's going to have at Georgia, but yeah, that's that's probably that's going to be a reason why someone could reach for a And JJ McCarthy is the one I think we're talking about. I don't think Jaden Daniels gets out of the top five. I think he have to weigh in really light at the combine and I would assume we saw it last year with you know, Bryce Young ends up getting over two hundred pounds and you know immediately gets back down into the one high one eighties, you know, one nineties. So we'll see that with Jayden as well. He'll come in over two hundred pounds. I don't know if they want to see him over two ten or what they want him to be, but you can make that happen with water weight. So I suspect those guys will go one, two three, I'd be I'd be really surprised if they didn't. But I think what we're seeing and you saw it in DJ's latest mock draft at NFL dot com. JJ McCarthy at eight to the Falcons and JJ is is going to end up being a very popular quarterback by the time the draft rolls a And I think that's where that number five pick can come into play for a quarterback, because that's when you're really going to get the Hall if if the Vikings, and that's I could see the Falcons or the Vikings and look, a lot of this is going to depend on free agency and Russell. You know, what happens with Russell Wilson, what happens with Justin Fields, what happens with Kirk Cousins. You know, there are some free Jimmy Garoppolo. There are going to be some free agent, you know, free agent. There's going to be some free agent movement that may dictate whether or not all of those teams have filled their their whole or not. But I suspect I'd be very surprised if someone didn't trade up to number five to get McCarthy, if DJ's projecting him at number eight to the Falcons, if he's as popular as we think he is, you know, specifically in light of what brock Purty has done. You know, someone who looks as though they're going to excel and that style of offense, someone who uses the middle of the field, someone who's got that athleticism that is a very quick process or that you know is on time, that is accurate. There's gonna be I think about the Rams, the Vikings are the first two. The Falcons and come to mind, you know, Raheem v and Sean McVay. Yeah, so I think those particular teams are going to be really interested in JJ McCarthy and might want to trade up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we dove into this last week a little bit. Would you trade with the Broncos or Raiders knowing that they would want jj McCarthy. I don't know, if I don't know if the you know, Jim, Jim was talking about him being the number one quarterback in this draft, so knowing that you'd have to play him twice a year, it's probably something you have to think twice about.
Speaker 2: But uh, the with the Broncos to Chris that they're they're low on picks, you know, they don't have a second, so you're talking about the Raiders do, so I think that's kind of to me. That's the more interesting part is if I think you want picks in the top one hundred. So if you're going to trade back that far, you're going to trade back to twelve or thirteen, you're gonna want another one in the top sixty for sure, and you're gonna probably want a third as well. It would be my guess. If that's how far back you're going, you're gonna probably want their two and their three and maybe a conditional for next year or something along those. You know, another three next year like that. That's gonna that's a big drop. You know, when you're going seven eight spots back. It's not like going to eight and you go from five to eight and you grab their two, you know, something like that. So to me, because we talked about it last week, the more I thought about it, I'm like, you know what, I think it just comes down to the package. I think about what Joe said in his introductory press conference about Coppicks and and how this is really it's a top heavy draft, but it's also a deep draft, and I think that that to me would ultimately like whatever, you know what, We're not gonna worry about JJ McCarthy to the Broncos or the Raiders. If they're the ones that are gonnaive us their second and their third and maybe a one next something crazy like that, then yeah, whatever, take them. Well, We're comfortable with Justin Herbert is maybe being the best quarterback you know who can eventually become the best quarterback in the division. You know, all due respect to Patrick Mahomes, but just someone who has the ability to perhaps dethrone him with the right coaching and the right pieces around him.
Speaker 1: The Patriots are the biggest wildcard here because if we believe the Caleb Williams is gonna go to Chicago and the Commanders are going to select their quarterback of the future, the Patriots they have a young roster, do you bring in a veteran and pair them with Marvin Harrison junior? So whatever they do, I think is going to really change the complexion of the draft and what the charges may get at number five too, because let's say the Raiders want Jayden Daniels and they're going to give the Patriots an offer they can't refuse, and they just stack picks. They end up getting JJ McCarthy or bo Nix or Penix later in the first round and have a haul of picks. I mean, I just look at those first three picks. They all need quarterbacks money. It's just depended on I guess what direction they go. Some of these questions that we got, I almost feel like we should save some of them for next week, like with with some of these analysts that we talk to, because you know, we're talking about fifth, sixth, and seventh round a tier aligneman. I think maybe right guys like Lance or DJ or whoever may be better suited to answer those questions in late February. But let's just get right to some of these questions.
Speaker 2: I would say something just real, real quick, Chris, before we before we start with the Q and A you know, and I'm looking at the mock draft, you know, just kind of the draft order off the screen. I think it's also you know, it depends what the Chargers board looks like like. You don't how closely grated out or if it's offensive line, you know, how close is Joe Walt to Vashanu to Fuaga to Latham. Because justin Jefferson's going to make the most money of any player that's not a quarterback. That's what this contract's going to look like. And when you start talking about that and having to pay a wide receiver thirty two to thirty three million dollars a year, you know, if you have you know, if you think Terry and Arnold or Nate Wiggins or Quinyan Mitchell, one of those corners you know, are graded very similarly to what you might get at eight or nine or five brock Boers. If you think he's gonna slide to fifteen or something, one of these teams could trade a Haul to jump up to get a Douneesay, Neighbors or Harrison because of just the economics, I mean the fact that you can lock these guys in for five years in a franchise tag six years wide, receivers were becoming that valuable because of what we're going to see with contracts, you know, when you've got to pay. We saw it with Tennessee. We saw it with Stefon Diggs and Buffalo and you know, getting Jefferson on that rookie contract because they did not want to pay Steffan Diggs. They didn't want to pay A. J. Brown. They thought they were going to replace him with Traylon Burg's with the first round pick. Like, I think there's still potential outside of the quarterback where you could end up picking up two and a four or something along a two and a high three, you know, to go back for one of these teams that may want to jump up, you know, to get at the Colts, the Saints, you know, to get one of those three elite receivers that are gonna end up going in the top eight picks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a great point. And we also don't know what what the charge is gonna do with Mike Williams and Keenan Allen. Like if if if a Doonsay Neighbors and one of those guys that Marvin Harrison, one of those guys will be there at five, and if if the Chargers have a super high blue chip grade on one of those guys and said, hey, this is the best player in the draft, stick and pick right, like like, just start start building Justin's weapons. See if you can get more out of Quentin Johnson. In the year two you got Joshua Palmer, and then we'll see what happens with with Keenan and Mike. But there's just there's just so many really solid options for the Chargers at five, which leads me to this first question by Alex Murray. With a limited amount of funds the Bolts have to spend in the offseason, which positions would you prioritize to a free agent signing. That's a good question. I'll just start off with one position. I think running back is an intriguing position in free agency because you can get guys for maybe a little bit cheaper. I mean running backs, it is what it is. That's the cost of doing business being a running back in the NFL. So I look at the like the Ravens roster. They have a lot of unrestricted free agents that Joe knows, not saying they're going to go to that well the entire time, but you know, there's some guys like Gus Edwards, there's some other I think running backs that could be very intriguing with what Greg Roman and Jim Harball want to.
Speaker 2: Do, probably depend on how they feel about the draft. You would much rather have a running back because you can get them in the middle rounds. You can get them late day two, you can get them early day three, you know, late third round, fourth round, in that range. And now instead of paying them, you know, four and a half million bucks, you're paying them seven hundred and fifty grand. And that goes a long way when you're talking about the cap situation the Chargers are in. But you make a great point, Chris, because you think about what the what the Lions did last year with Montgomery and how important he was to them, and and so you can get these players Jamal Williams going to the Saints on just a tiny deal. You know there are going to be players available. You mentioned Gus Edwards, someone that that Ortiz is certainly very familiar with. So you can get players that seem, you know, that are relative bargains. I just don't know if they're enough of them, if even that is enough of a bargain. The Singletary contract, the you know, the the Montgomery contract, the Jamal Williams contract. I don't even know if that's enough of a bargain to make it worthwhile to attack that position. You know, there's look, they're gonna sign free agents. I don't think there's any doubt about that. What I think, you know, coach Harbaugh and Joe Ortiz are going to be looking for is sort of you know what these this new coaching staff believes they can coach up. You know, hey, there's hidden value here and in these oldlignment. I believe there's hidden value in this center and centers typically. You know, can we can we find value in that position? That's to me, that's and I think you'll probably find some because they need to build depth on the old line. I think you'll see some some of those lower numbered signings at that position. Group linebacker is always interesting because they tend not to make a lot of money. But I think it's important to remember there's premium positions. I think you hit it on the head right, it's not going to be it's probably not going to be wide receiver, defensive end, you know, offensive tackle, corner. You know what you're what you probably could look like is interior line, linebacker, safety, running back is sort of you know, maybe a blocking tight end, which they desperately need. I think it's it's sort of that path that I would be looking for. I don't think is going to be much in terms of a free agent splash. I'd be surprised.
Speaker 1: Yeah, someone had a question about Cody white Hare getting released. The positional versatility is a garden center, I think, if I'm not mistaken, I think the Rams are going to release Brian Allen their center, and you know Zeitler's a free agents so there's there's a lot of potential free agent options to kind of bolster the interior line. I do think center is going to be a priority, trying to get your center of the future as opposed to maybe a guy who you have for a couple of years, and maybe that's something they do in the draft.
Speaker 2: It's also no important, Chris to remember compicks. You know, Joe Ortiz specifically brought it up three or four times. You don't get compicks by signing free agents, especially when the Chargers aren't going to have a whole lot going out. You can't cut a guy that then gets signed as a free agent and get a compic. It's when they leave an unrestricted free agency and because they don't have a lot, there's Kenneth Murray, there's a lowie Gilman. You know, like you're trying to get that. You're trying to get that math to work out in your favor so you get those Coppicks and you're not gonna that. That's not going to happen if you're busy signing a bunch of guys when you don't have a lot of guys going out this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great point. This is from Don provided Mayor Daniels is there at number five and the Chargers are offered a haul for the pick. What's the lowest number they would trade back for and what position would they select? And he put cornerback, right, tackle, center, edge, and why I'll go first, real quick money. I just think free agency is going to dictate a lot of what they do and who they get a free agency, who they're comfortable with on the roster, and how far back they're willing to go is how much the package is. So you know, I think the Chargers have a number of positions that they could attack. You mentioned corner. You know, this is a pretty good corner class, and I would be surprised if they didn't select a corner early in this draft because they just they need to kind of stockpile that position. But what do you think, you know, there's a lot of different well I think the Chargers could use right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's deep at it's really pretty. It's pretty deep at two particular positions. And it happens to be two positions based on what happens with Mike Williams and Keenan Allen that the Chargers you could you could argue have as listed as needs. And that's tackle. It's an incredibly deep tackle class. It's tackle and it's wide receiver. It's a deep you know, I don't know where Brian Thomas is going to go, but you know, if he's you know, I had the most touchdowns in football and obviously was overshadowed by Milike Nahbors at LSU. But like you're you're talking about a deep you could end up having seven, six, seven, maybe eight wide receivers go in the first round. You're probably gonna end up having seven tackles go in the first round. So just think about that. You know, if you've got a first round grade, let's say there's a first round grade on four receivers. You've got a first round grade on let's say three tackles, Wiggins, Mitchell, and Arnold. That's now seven, you've got a first round grade on probably I would guess five tackles Altaishano, Fuaga, Latham, and probably Shoot, it's escaping me the name out of Washington. You got those those five guys you've got, so, I mean, that's a lot if you're talking about four quarterbacks. Now now you're talking about maybe going down as far as sixteen, because like here's and look, this might just be my philosophy, but I would assume it's it's subscribed to by most gms. To me, the first round draft, a premium position draft, to tackle draft, the defensive end draft, a corner draft, a wide receiver draft, the quarterback. You know, that's to me, that's important because they're just you tend to be able to find the other positions late. It's something the Rams have been really good at. They have not had those first picks, and when you look at all of their selections, when they have these twos and threes and fours, they're linebackers, safeties, tight ends, guards. You can really stock your roster and build some depth in those later rounds. So when I think about four corners, the five wide receivers, brock Bowers like, there's enough there where you could trade back to the to the late teams, maybe the mid to late teens, and still feel really good about the player are going to get. Now I'm gonna make this even longer. There's also the idea, like you said earlier, Chris about the blue chip do we wanna do we really want to get out of the range of neighbors a Doonzay Harrison, Junior alt Fashanu Bowers to do we want to remove ourselves from those six players? Would also be the conversation or Terry and Arnold if he's in there, Quinian Mitchell if he's you know what I mean like that to that's the secondary conversation. How big of a drop is it from what we have listed? Is this top heavy, really really talented at the top draft and where we want to find ourselves.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you can go past fifteen, but I just do you subscribe to this though? Money like because you have justin Herbert and we've seen what he's done with guys like Geiden and t Billy. You can get away with getting an extra second or a future first and draft a guy like Brian Thomas and then have an extra pick to restock your secondary or to get another edge player, to get another interior lineman or offensive lineman. Like I think those are the conversations in terms of roster building and team building that you probably have to have. Is yes, Roman Donza and Neighbors and Marvin Harrison. Yeah, those are like slam dunk Blue Chippers. But if you can get a couple extra picks in this draft and you really like some of these position groups, is it worth getting the fourth or fifth best receiver in this draft or maybe brock Bauers drops a little bit because of just some of the needs at the top of the draft, and then you get an extra corner or you gets your future center in the second round. I mean, I think those are the conversations that you have to have, right.
Speaker 2: Certainly, and just the team needs depth, and I think that's where it really comes in is and to me, once you for me, once you get out of those to me, Thomas is going to work his way into that that conversation of being probably top half of the first round again just because of the economics. So I think once you get outside of that, yeah, wait, it's there's seventeen. Yeah, I think DJ's got or maybe it was Dan Brugley I heard say he's got seventeen receivers in his top one hundred, So you know, you can wait, that's where I would then.
Speaker 1: Let's get that.
Speaker 2: Let's try to get a high second rounder and just stack the O line, get the center, get the tackle, and now you have depth. Now you have depth with Pipkins, you have depth with Solur you can you can maybe find a starting center out there, you know, or another center to create some depth on your offensive line. We know how Jim Harbaugh wants to play. How did he beat Ohio State three years in a row. How did he win a national championship? Physical line play, dominating at the lines, taking a team we say it all the time, into the deep end in the fourth quarter and and pulling him under. That's the way he plays football. It's way he's always played football, so to me, and it's it's Fatanu out of Washington and Marius Mims. I forgot about it. Was just an absolute mammoth human being out of Georgia. Like you're talking about six tackles, so you could trade back and feel real good. And now if you know you're looking at again, if you're if you're looking at centers, because clearly the way they restructured Corey Lindsley's contract, it appears as though he's gonna retire in you know, start a June, and this was just some cap math to help them out. But if you look at centers, now you can get both. Now you can get your tackle, and who knows, maybe you decide tackles really deep and you just love Jackson Powers Johnson, because that guy's gonna go in the top twenty, and you have him rated just considerably higher than Zach Fraser, who's a name that we've talked about here, and I know DJ likes the guy on a do quite a bit, who's technically a guard but very well could end up transitioning or I think he was a tackle, but he's projected as a guard.
Speaker 1: Yes him, he's the top guy too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So it's one of those where you're now doing the math. We need to get deep. We need a lot of picks and that's a long answer.
Speaker 1: But great segue though into our next question money from David Thompson. You can only double dip on one position group in the draft. Which do you choose and why? For me, it's interior or offensive line and in defensive line. I know the defensive line class isn't really heavy. It's not great, Uh, but you need to build that the way that Harball wants to play. You gotta build your lines. So I think you know, double dip on the on the lines offensive line, defensive line.
Speaker 2: At one hundred percent agree, I would. I would go corner. I just feel it's the thinnest group. Mike Davis is a free agent. Jac Jackson did not work out. He's going to kunt of twenty million bucks against the cap. Gotta sante. They need corners. You got Patrick Mahomes in the division, you got Joe Burrow and the conference, Josh Allen and the Conference. You you you got Tyreek Hill and Jayden and Jaylen Waddle down in Miami. You need corners desperately so and they're great. What did Brandon Staley always tell us favorite special teams players were corners? Was always going to populate the roster with corners, especially with those late round picks, because he believes they're the best special teams player and we saw that with Dean Leonard and jaw and those guys on special teams. So you get that double dip there great special teamers along with the position that's probably the thinnest outside of running back because of the free agents with Austin and Joshua Kelly. So that would be the one that I would love to see attacked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it just speaks to the fact that you need depth, and this team needs depth at a lot of key positions. You know some of the questions, and you know, it makes sense a lot of a lot of fans want to talk about the running back and the wide receiver and the tight end, but it's just it's not a seven on seventeen, right, Like you really have to build your team through the draft, and it may not be sexy to talk about the offensive line, the defensive line, and maybe some of the quarter positions, but this team really needs to identify how they're going to play football, how they're gonna protect Justin Herbert and obviously get him weapons too. So it's it's so fun to talk about I remember last year we talked about John Robinson and Zave Flowers and all these different wide receivers and running backs that could be potential toys for Justin Herbert. But uh, it goes a little bit deeper than that too. Let's see, umm, flock with me, what's a position to two that you both think the draft can't answer for us that we would need to find in free agency or via trade. That's a good question.
Speaker 2: Well, so much of it is like we don't know what they're gonna do with with these players, Like we what if what if they go to Mike and say we're I let you go and you're coming off in a cl and and Mike's camp says I on another crack at it, just look at it as a free agent year. Let's let's reset this. Let's make it a one year prove it deal. I feel really good about this coaching staff and what I have to contribute. And and now you're keeping everyone, and now you've got Mike and Keenan and Josh Palmer and and Q. So now you're deep there. And same thing with Bosa. No I want to play for Jesse Minner, I know, so I would much rather do that than be traded some So I think that's such a big part of it because to me that that's the one concern is that, Okay, if you're gonna if you're gonna trade away Joey and Khalil and you only have two lee what and it's not a real deep edge class, how are you going to find that second pass rusher? And is it Matta bk Like, are you willing to invest a bunch of money there? Because now you've cut all this money out because Mike and Joey and Khalil are all gone and Keenan's restructured, and and now you've got forty fifty million dollars in money to spend, So so much can change based on how they want to approach those four contracts. It's safety is not a real deal. There aren't great safeties and they need a safety. Aloe is a free agent. So is there a safety out there that they can go get that they think fits the system that jesse Minner is going to be playing. You know, in terms of just position groups that aren't deep, tight end is not deep. So outside of brock Bauers, you've got a pretty big drop off. It's there there isn't really an elite running back in this in this draft. You talked about that earlier. So yeah, there are some position groups that you may have to to fill via free agency, and the good news is they're not typically high priced no position guys like.
Speaker 1: Hunter, Henry, Dalton Schultz. Uh, those are some of the tight ends that are out there, you know, and.
Speaker 2: With Hunter, yeah, you know if you tell me you've got to pass on Bowers, but you're gonna get Hunter Henry and a team friendly number along with now your draft and a tackle and a center or a blue chip wide receiver and in an interior alignment like in a corner, great one hundred percent. I would We know how much Justin loved having Hunter around, and we know that he's a full service tight end, so that that's great. Point like that would be an ideal free agent signing to bring him back.
Speaker 1: Bottom line is you know, like you said, between Mike, Keenan, Joey and Khalil, all that needs to be hashed out before we can even kind of see the plan come into place with free agency and then the draft. And we're going to have so many different Thursdays where we have different iterations of this podcast and what they may do based on what's happened in free agency. Yeah, great, Kim, I know this guy. If you were a draft project, what day of the combine would you prefer to do your drills money Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
Speaker 2: So interesting about the combine. Every player isn't there at the same time. They fly the groups in based on what day they work out, So it's not like everybody gets to the combine on Monday, then you're weight in. If you're a corner, you got to sit around till Sunday. Now you fly in on Friday if you're the corner and you get all your medical done and then Saturday you're doing your interviews. Sunday you're doing your drills, and you're out. So they stack it where the guys aren't there at the same time. The one day I wouldn't want to be is Sunday because for the most part, a lot of the GMS and and Team you know, Team Brass are gone. They leave on Saturday. Sunday is a ghost town. So that's just the one day I wouldn't I if i feel like I've got something to prove at the combine and this is gonna help my stock. I would want to do it in front of the head coach in the GM. As much as I appreciate the DC and the and the and the secondary coaches being there who can go back and report, I'd like to have that head coach and that GM be wowed by what I did out there. So that would that would probably be the one day that I would not want to be there because it's interesting. I don't know how to explain it, because the corners are typically the best athletes there and they do put on a show and it's and it's the most fun drill. They do the Gauntlet drill, you know, on Sunday, and it's a lot of fun and it's just kind of this back and they do the gauntlet drill for the wide receivers, but they do these games with the corners and it ends up being a lot of fun. But that'd be the one day just because a lot of people are already gone and they're just they're over it. They're they're ready to get the heck out of there. Haven't been there since Monday. They want to get out of town.
Speaker 1: Yeah, give me, just give me day one. I want to be the first first in make a good impression. Uh, here we go. What kind of answered this one? Thoughts on trading down and trying to get Powers Johnson, Listen, anything's a possibility there reasonable.
Speaker 2: Now you trade down and get a blue chip that's what you want. Yeah, trade down, but don't trade down so far that you lose out on what you have a first a first round grade on and someone you know is going to be able to help you. That's why Powers Johnson's so interesting. It's not the sexiest position, but people are really freaking out over how good of a center he is.
Speaker 1: How would you guys feel if the Chargers walked away with Brock Bowers, Xavier Lyget from South Carolina, who I've had some nice highlights and the Notre Dame running.
Speaker 2: Back fine for me? Whoever. I just I have so much confidence in this front office I do. I feel like the coaching and the and the front office folks are are in sync. That Greg Roman is is going to dial up this run offense. He's going to tell you what he needs. That there's so many people that have been so successful everywhere they've been that I'm just whichever direction they go, I can see it. Making sense. I can I can see brock Bauers making a ton of sense. I can see Joe Alt or Fuago or Forshanu. I could see Terry and Arnold or Dallas Turner. And now you've got your two edges with tu Lean Turner set for for a while, you know, Byron Murphy, because you need someone on the interior line, like there's so many need I don't know what it says about the team. It just feels like there's so many directions they can go that make a ton of sense.
Speaker 1: The only issue I would have with that is that it's all skill position guys. When right, we've also talked about building the offensive line of defensive line, and those guys all to be you know, first, second, third round picks.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's a likely path. If you go receiver first, you're going to see some line in the And that's why the trade down makes so much. I'm sure I would imagine that that Geordie's and Jim Harbar are doing everything they can to pump up JJ McCarthy and how this guy is it? And you're gonna want to come up to get because they want to trade down. Ultimately, that's what they want. They know they need to stock restock this team, and so they're looking for two extra picks and if they can somehow figure out a way to trade down twice, Let's say they can trade from five to six.
Speaker 1: What if what if.
Speaker 2: You know, what if Malik Neighbors and Marvin Harrison are both taken. What if that's the move? And now the Giants are like, hey, we want a Duneesay, we'll give you a third if you just let us move up one spot. Great, Now you're at six. And now someone's like, we want Jayden Daniels and now you can trade back to eight, and like, that's what they want to do. They want to amass more than their three picks in the top one hundred. They want to try to get six or seven in the top one hundred like Arizona has.
Speaker 1: That's what the Ravens do too. Man, Like you talked about Kyle Hamilton a couple years ago, glowingly like like this is the dude, and the Ravens end up with them at like thirteen. You know, it's they find ways to win the draft always. So you know, Joe's been a lot of those war rooms. Jake Nelson asks a two parter, could you guys explain how compensatory picks are acquired how fast the Chargers could start accumulating them? And then number two, any veterans slash role players you see taking a leap this year due to the mint Roman scheme changes the compensatory pick, So it looks like that's gonna be announced soon, and based on over the cap, it seems like the Chargers may just get one because it's.
Speaker 2: Your seventh rounder. Yeah, they got a seventh rounder coming, that's it. So the way they work is it's what goes out versus what comes in, and there's different rules that go into that formula of how you are dinged, what level of free agency you you know, what type of players you sign. If you sign someone another player's cut, it's different than an unrestricted free agent if basically, it's how many of your players that are unrestricted free agents that end up being particularly coming off their rookie contract, that that get signed by other teams versus how many you've signed to join your team. Determine what the compensatory pick awards are and how good is that player versus you know, however good that player happens to be will determine is it a seventh, six, fifth, fourth, or third rounder where you get your compensatory Think about Baltimore CJ. Moseley gets signed by the Jets, that's a third round compensatory pick. You mentioned Drew Trank, Will Chargers let him go. They sign Eric Kendricks, but Trank will goes out like that's a seventh round pick because he had a better year than you know, And Kendricks doesn't count against that anyway, because he's, you know, a vested vet. So that's kind of what we're talking about, is how and how soon? Not soon, because they're not going to have a lot of those top tier free agents that are going to be signed away, So it's gonna happen to you guys.
Speaker 1: You think this your money, Like Kenneth Murray, potentially.
Speaker 2: Kenneth Murray Belowie Gilman Austin, Yeah, I think that's kind of what you're looking at. Like Kenneth Murray would probably be the biggest one just because of his draft status and because he's got potential to be an impact player, So Murray would probably be the one. Then you got a lowie Gilman, but they don't have a lot like there's not going to be and there's and remember like other teams are playing the same game, so they're going to follow the same rules. You don't want to sign that player in the first wave of free agency. That's a loss in the compensatory formula. You want to signm in the second wave. And that's how you can play this game and end up building that war chest. So but the second part of that, when can it happen? Not soon, which is why they have to manipulate the draft to try to acquire more picks in order to fill the void of lack of compensatory picks. What was the second part of that question?
Speaker 1: Second part was a veteran slash role players that could take a leap due to the mentor Roman scheme. Quickly, I'll just I'll add, you know, I think Touley's just going to take a leap in general and in this scheme and is going to be great. I think Henley's another guy. And you know, somebody in the interior, like you look at just the history of the Michigan defensive lines and just the good interior play, someone like Tito Abonia could could maybe take a leap and then offensively, real quickly. For me. Quintin Johnston, I think he can only go up. And if you you talked about these TCU specials, if they can get him in a groove, catching the football and and just having a specific role on this football team. Uh, I hope big things for Quinton and here two.
Speaker 2: So he already had a great year, but he need Jesse Minner needs to Lee to be great because it's all about edge pressure. They need that edge pressure. So that's that's one you already said, Henley, He's got an opportunity. You think about those you know, those linebackers and what they're able to do at Michigan. Derwin is an obvious one. Yeah, Derwin didn't have the best of year last year and and so I would expect him to have a huge bounce back year.
Speaker 1: But how do you feel about the defensive line right now?
Speaker 2: Money you help, there's a ton I mean, they're all gone, you know, Sebastian Joseph Day obviously was cut. Austin Johnson's a free agent. Love Scott Matt Loocke, love Tito and hopefully they'll they'll be able to provide some death. But they need players on the interior line. No doubt they need it, and whatever they decide to do with Joey and Khalil will determine if they need edge. So it's there's a lot of work to do defensively, a lot of work to do defensively offensively. If I were to pick one Zion Johnson, I think Zion had a rough goal last year, and with Devlin and Nick Hardwick, I feel like he's got all the tools to be a great interior lineman and just needs better coaching and I would suspect that he'll get that from those two guys.
Speaker 1: So last year, the big name was Bijeon Robinson. I feel like we got a Bjeon Robinson question every time we did this. I can't tell you how many brock Bauers questions there are. Yeah, I love that we have an early pick. Do you think he's worth a fifth pick? There are many options. That's from Eddie Roberto. How do you guys feel about Bowers? I feel like he's the the missing elite tight end the Chargers haven't had our boy Brian Rick has. Has Bowers fully healed from his injury? Will that affect his draft value in your opinion? To where we could possibly trade back a few spots and still grab him. Brock Bowers is on the minds of Chargers fans.
Speaker 2: Money, it'd be great. He's an exceptional player. The thing about look Bowers is a mismatch. He's so good, he's got incredible hands, he's fast, he's very long, so he's not a big dude. And everybody saw that photo that was circulating from Super Bowl of him standing next to Gronk, and it's like, whoa Gronk is? A is a freak. He's the ultimate outlier because he was that big and that athletic like.
Speaker 1: Angles and photos made you just I don't know if he's that SMA smaller.
Speaker 2: He's pretty small. Like Bowers in terms of tight ends, is not the biggest guy. He's listed at six ' four. He's probably six ' three and change. Maybe he's listed at two forty, probably more like two thirty, so he's not big. But he's got really long arms, and he's incredibly strong, and he's just so sudden and so quick as a tight end, and he has explosiveness so once the ball's in his hand, you know, tight ends tend to be steam routes. And I'm gonna get to the middle of fil I'm able to shay, I'm gonna I'm faster than your line if you're the elite ones, I'm faster than your linebacker. I'm stronger than your safety. Bowers has elite athleticism. He's like he is shaking guys off off the line of scrimmage, and he's quick into his cuts. He snatches the ball. Think about the stuff we were talking about with Quinton that he struggled with gathering body catcher, that he had to work on to to continue to evolve his game. Bowers does not break stride. Man. He is snatching that thing out in front of him, and he is in a dead ass run and if you've got a linebacker on him, you're dead to rights. And if you watch the Georgia tape games, if you watch the Bowers tape, so much of it are just flares and smoke and screens and just passes to the flat and you just watch him explode and he's got the angle like they can't catch up to him because he's that fast. So he's just a different type of player now. And the thing with the size, why it's such a big deal. As you talk about is why is he a full service tight end? It appears to be strong enough. He's not going to be elite in that category, but he's good enough where I don't think he's getting app where he's a waist inside. So it's he certainly seems like a Jim Harbaugh player. I mean he is tough as nails. And look how important was Sam Laporta to the Lions offense this year?
Speaker 1: I mean gigantic.
Speaker 2: You could argue he was the most important pass catcher, even ahead of a Monro because of what he meant in the red zone on third down, critical downs, he was the guy. So, like, just think of it that way. Think of had the Chargers taken Sam Laporta last year in the first round. What we beat talking about right now? Just how good and he's he's really a receiving tight end. He's more in that Travis Kelsey mode. Where So, just would you use a first round pick on Sam Laporta? Of course you would, knowing now what you know, So to me, bowers make sense. So here's the flip side of it.
Speaker 1: Would you take him at five? Right?
Speaker 2: That's the flip side. Probably not, because you're talking about position. You can't take brock Bauers at five if Roma Dunsay, Malik Neighbors, or Marvin Harrison Junior are there. Why because the second you take brock Bauers, he becomes one of the five highest paid players at his position. So immediately, immediately and by the time he's on his fifth year option, will be the third or second highest paid tight end. So that's the thing. When you get a Doonsay or Harrison or a tackle like alt think about the contract Rashon Slea going to sign and this offseason it's Larimie Tunzel's making twenty five to twenty eight million bucks a year, so Travis Kelcey's making thirteen. Like that's why you can't take the tight end that high, or why it's it's hard to take him that high, because if Justin Jefferson's going to make thirty three million bucks a year, I want to take Roma Doonzay or Malik Neighbors so I don't have to pay a receiver thirty three million dollars. I've got a top ten receiver in the league for six million bucks in his fourth year. That's which you don't you have a tight end in his fourth year for six million bucks. Congratulations, you got one of the fifth highest paid tight ends in the league. So that's where that the economics of it come into play and why it's so hard to draft someone like that that high.
Speaker 1: Yep, excellent, point a couple more, and you know, we we have so many. We'll get to some of these next week too. We'll ask some of our over yes, some of these questions. But our boys from Thunder down Under. A lot of FAI online seemed to hate the idea of the Bolts sticking at five and picking an offensive tackle, which was floated in DJ's mock. How would you both feel about it? First of all, DJ has so many iterations of this thing he's got. He's he's on two point zero I think right now, so he's gonna have like five or six more. But it fills a need, that's it. It fills a need. Uh, And the Chargers have a lot of them. So I don't have a problem with Joe Alt going at number five. If if fourte's in company, think that that's the guy.
Speaker 2: Look again, I'll go back to the Lions. How do you feel about having pinas Soul and Taylor Decker? Like, how do you feel about having that offensive line. Do you think the Lions got to where they were because of as good as Jamior Gibbs was, or a mon Ross Saint Brown is, or we already talked about Sam Laporte. No, they got there because of their line. It's the best blocking line in football, and they have time to operate. Jared Goff does not operate well in a muddy pocket. Pocket was clean for them most part on their march to the NFC Championship game. So lines are important. And guess what if you take all and he's as good as we think he is, and we know Slater is an all pro level tackle. On the other side, you know how much better Keenan Allen, Josh Palmer and Quentin Johnson are going to be because he's got time now, They've got time.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Keenan's got time to break his guy down because he's the best route runner in the league. Quentin's got time to get that foot in the ground and start to get that inside leverage on those slants. Mike Williams has got time to get a fifty to fifty ball down there. Josh Palmer, Like that's a tackle is the foundation of an offensive play. If protection holds up, there's so much more you can do. Think about how miserable the run game was and has been really for seven years. Alt is a massive human being, a giant of a human being. And when if you move Zion back to that side, you're talking about two of the biggest players at their position that are now on the right side your run are typically your run heavy side of the line. Now your running games working well. Guess what now? Play action is now in play again. Whereas before nobody bet on play action whatever run it, we don't care, so win for us. So all of that stuff comes into play and is upgraded because of your line. It's not just picking Joe Alt, it's picking Joealt keep the pocket clean. It's picking Joealt because now a tackle guard tandem can connect and build a wall on that side of the ball.
Speaker 1: I think DJ also referenced money that the Ravens selected Jonathan Ogden and had him as a guard his first his first year. Yeah, so you get the best guy and you figure it out. And when you have elite players, they can play different positions, and an Alt slater one two punch is pretty good in an AFC West. That's loaded and you need to beat the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: When you have justin Herbert's arm. It's not just the receiver, it's the time for the route to develop. Like when you have that kind of talent that can push the ball sixty yards in the air, keep the pocket clean and guess what it's gonna be able to push the ball downfield more?
Speaker 1: Excuse me, last one? What is the projected split between eleven twelve personnel going to be with Roman and Harball calling the shots? How important is having three wide receivers on the field compared to extremely potent two tight end sets. Most teams these days are running around sixty five seventy five percent eleven personnel. The days of Mike keenan Quinton or another capable wide receiver will likely change greatly. It's a great question, and I think what they decide to do will dictate the personnel and the decisions they have to make, especially at the wide receiver position.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's one of the things about what Stanford did when Jim Harbach showed up, is when he was run in with six offensive linemen two tight ends because the Pac twelve didn't have the personnel to deal with it. It was a quarterback passing conference, and so he just did the math. He's like, okay, well everybody is running eleven personnel and everyone's trying to get enough corners to keep up with it. Now they've got enough corners because that's what they've populated their roster with. All their linebackers are lighting the ass. So because they've got to keep up with all of these pass catchers running all over the place, well guess what we're going to go out there with. And I called a ton of these Stanford games. The splits were so tight, it was the craw I just remember watching it, going, my god, this is so different than everything else we're watching. They've got six offensive linemen and two tight ends, and I mean you couldn't put a credit card between those bodies and they would snap the ball and just wreck shop. So I think it's all math, and it's what what do we do to think about what Greg Roman did in Baltimore when they got Lamar Jackson. They're like, you know what, we're gonna run a ton of twelve. We're gonna run a bunch of thirteen, and you know, and we're gonna run three tight ends and we're gonna run and Lamar is going to be the ultimate X factor because they started doing that, they were doing you know, and Patrick Riccard is whatever. He is a full back, an extra offensive lineman. Guy's three hundred and five pounds like, So that to me is is it's whatever they think the math is. If they feel like they want to play ball like they did in Baltimore, and they want to play ball like they did at Stanford, then yeah, you're gonna see a lot more twelve. You're gonna see a sixth offensive lineman. You're gonna see some thirteen, and you're gonna see you know, Greg Roman's a run guy. He is, he is all. He is the best. He is one of, if not the best. Look, there's Kyle Shanahan who is incredible with the run, no doubt about it. That is what that offense is. It is predicated on the success of the run. Same with Sean McVay. So I can't call him the best in terms of offensive run calling, but he's up there like he's really good at it. So yeah, there's probably going to be a lot of twelve. But if you again, let's just say Mike Williams wants to come back. You don't want Mike Keenan Josh Clinton like, you don't want three of those guys on the field at the same time. If if that's your advantage, it's whatever. It's whatever you think you have an advantage at is what you're going to do. It's not just Roman saying, hey, we got to play in twelve, got to play with two tight ends every snap. That's not how it works. It's what's our advantage. How do we how do we gain an advantage with our numbers, And that's what it'll come down to.
Speaker 1: The best. The best coaches look at their personnel first and then cater their system around the personnel that they have. Right justin Herbert's a different quarterback from Lamar Jackson, and you know, you go down the line of the history of Greg Roman, he's had different guys, but he's been effective at running the football, which should be music to charges fans. Ears after what we've seen the last few years running the ball, you have to be able to run the foot for some money.
Speaker 2: It's been so strange with Baltimore, and we saw it firsthand in twenty whatever it was twenty eighteen. They come out and they just start throwing the ball all over and it's like thank you, because remember Chargers are playing with Adrian Phillips is their only linebacker. Yeah, and they start throwing the ball after two weeks prior on a Saturday night, they ran it down the Charger's throats. It's the weirdest thing ever. So I think that's it's important to it's important to just remember it's it's not about philosophy. It's about personnel and opponent and advantage, and that's what will dictate how you play.
Speaker 1: Yep. By the way, I think Helio would did interviews with Roman Mentor and Ficken which was coming to Charge soon, and get a little more insight on their philosophies and how they want to play ball in Los Angeles. That's gonna do it for us money, anything else before we pack our bags go to Indy. We got a lot of fun stuff next week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just keep an eye because it's not gonna be the Thursday pod. We're gonna probably post two, maybe three of these things. And I know we already have Lancer Line, whose dad one of the great offensive line coaches ever, and nobody knows more about offensive line in the draft than Lance he's gonna join us. I know Nate Tice also dad, one of the great offensive line coaches in the NFL of all time, and Nate is great at breaking it down for the athletic He's gonna join us. And we're gonna get a lot of people. We've got a lot of friends out there. We're gonna we're gonna wrangle them, throw them in the chair and have a chance to catch up with them and get some of that outside perspective about what they think the Chargers need and what they're gonna do. It's gonna be a lot of fun. And just please keep keep tabs because it's not just gonna be a Thursday pod. You're gonna see a lot more than that. Maybe it'll be short you videos at Chargers dot com or you know videos at Chargers dot com of those one offs, or it'll be multiple pods, maybe even every day Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, something along those lines.
Speaker 1: Yeah, keep keep tabs on the subscription. And man, I think I say it every time, but just I we appreciate the questions, so many good ones, a ton of them this this time around, and we'll use some of these questions that you guys have for our guests next week too, to get another opinion, an outside opinion on this Chargers team and the draft moving forward. So that'll do it for money. I'm Chris. We will see you in Indie next week