Speaker 1: Welcome the Guys We Fu.
Speaker 2: Me Anti Slutshamings podcast that I'm Christina hating. I'm for in fister and I'm so we're up to flooding, your warning and your shame.
Speaker 1: Hey it was what?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okayout, hello fuckers, how you doing you? Okay, Welcome to another episode of Guys We Fucked.
Speaker 1: Wait guys, we don't have a lights on? Oh wow, you're right? Can you do it? Because I just I can, but it doesn't.
Speaker 5: Then I didn't even notice. Doesn't look really that bad.
Speaker 1: This is me.
Speaker 2: I like how I was just talking about camera set up and then I get yeah, we literally have what.
Speaker 1: Can I say? Yeah, you do have.
Speaker 2: That's so funny that you said that, because I was actually thinking in my head how you have such a cases of senior?
Speaker 1: Do you know what senior riis is?
Speaker 2: I mean, I definite like an old fuck No, it's not senior. It means senior, like senior in high school.
Speaker 1: So right before you.
Speaker 2: Guys like, I'm out already, Yeah, you're you're out the door. It's a very Jersey say. That's why I didn't know if it happened in Pennsylvania. Did it's did?
Speaker 4: Yeah, senior writers, we'd skip class a lot like I already got accepted to college exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, okay, yum, okay, good Mike.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hey, guys, how you doing you good?
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Welcome to another episode of Guys We Fucked. It's the anti slut shaming podcast. I'm Coaren Fisher, I'm Christina Hutchinson. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: Do you want to email us?
Speaker 4: Well, you're in luck. We have an email address. Sorry about last night show at gmail dot com. Today's subject line how to break the breadcrumbing cycle when there's a proximity issue. Hey, Karin and Christina and new guy Eric. He's not here, Yes, he's gonna leave at one point. Yeah, I've been participating in some dumbery.
Speaker 2: I figured I turned it to my guiding lights to get help get me out of it.
Speaker 1: Some backstory on me.
Speaker 4: I'm twenty seven, female Brooklyn acting actor, working at a restaurant and never been in a relationship.
Speaker 1: A real catch, Yeah, but also good for you. Probably got a lot done.
Speaker 4: I used to be incredibly self conscious, but after getting treatment for an eating disorder and doing a lot of self work, I have been feeling free and confident for a couple of years now, been dating a lot, super casually, just enjoying being single and not tied down to anyone. I used to feel super sad that I was alone, and now I revel in it. However, recently I started to feel that perhaps I'm ready to share my life with someone else.
Speaker 1: All downhill from there.
Speaker 4: It's almost a selfish want, because I want to keep growing and improving, and I don't want to miss out on the experience of being in a romantic partnership at least once in my life. Perhaps I'm meant to be single, but hey, don't knock it until you try it, right.
Speaker 2: So dramatic for twenty seven Perhaps I'm meant to be alone forever.
Speaker 1: Cut to a few months ago.
Speaker 4: I work at a restaurant in Brooklyn and there's a bar across the street we sometimes go to after work. The bartender there and I have been flirting for almost a year now.
Speaker 1: Ooh, I love a long term.
Speaker 4: Flirt, but also bar under's flirt with everybody. You can't trust them, Yeah, they get good tips. In November we finally hooked up and it was really good. There were things were moving along kind of naturally. I would see him for drinks outside of work. He would come in for coffee at my spot, and I would go see him at his job for drinks, stepping out on his brakes, sharing cigarettes, and smooching a bit outside. Oh, how French and romantic. Beginning of January he left for a trip for about ten days to visit another girl he met bartending. Yeah, and when he came back, I just didn't hear from him. M hmmm, like borderline crickets.
Speaker 2: I mean bartender to me out of all the worse than musician as far as like untrustworthy mass Oh yeah, yeah, yes, it's the worst.
Speaker 4: He comes in for coffee like usual, about once a week, but other than that, no text, no contact, no attempt to hang out. I know this means he doesn't want to see me. I mean it means that he's seen somebody else. I hate this multiple other people probably. I hate this phrase, but it applies here. If he wanted to, he would. Yes, you're correct, so I'm trying to be smart about it.
Speaker 1: Move on.
Speaker 4: The problem lies with the proximity of our workplaces. When he comes in, he acts like nothing is weird and we chat as if it's all normal. I try to be cold and not really care, but we fall into old patterns of chats. He then texted me a couple days ago when when he hadn't seen me for a bit and asked me out for drinks.
Speaker 1: I gave him sort of a I might have plans, but maybe answer.
Speaker 2: The day came, I said, let's go here, and he bailed that night, and you fell for a trick. He just wanted to see that he still could get you if you wanted to. And you pretend, You've pretended that he could in for a second, but then't do a very good job of it.
Speaker 1: And then you caved.
Speaker 2: And then he goes, oh, that's all I wanted to know. I didn't really want to hang out with you. I just wanted to know that I could if I wanted to.
Speaker 1: Oh it hurts. I am very aware that I have to get over this situation.
Speaker 4: But the problem is that I don't often have feelings for people often, so the fact that I'm even thinking about him is frustrating but rare.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but yeah, I think he was. He literally works a block away from you.
Speaker 4: Like you don't have feelings for people often, you conveniently have feelings for somebody worked to block away from you, there's Brooklyn is big girl, but he has a very large brow and there's.
Speaker 1: A lot of hot eyes in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she has feelings for him because he's fucking yeah. That's why, like people like this know how to manipulate your mind to keep you thinking about them.
Speaker 1: He's playing games with you.
Speaker 2: It's not that you don't actually feel for him, It's that he's He's created a manipulation and a challenge for you, so you're thinking about it the way you would think about sudoku, not in a rotlantic way.
Speaker 1: How many women do you think he saw in that tendation? Oh, probably a couple eight, not.
Speaker 4: To mention the fact that I can literally see his face while we are both at our respective places of work. I've gone on other dates since meeting him good, I've tried dating apps. I go out with friends often and have definitely been having fun. But he keeps giving me little nuggets of attention, and I start to put my clown nose.
Speaker 2: Right back on lock him exactly, and then when he comes in, I mean, just don't just don't look at him. Any advice on how to move on and or how to tell him my boundaries.
Speaker 1: He doesn't give a shit about your boundaries.
Speaker 4: Girl that I'm not really interested in these stupid games. Yeah, but that's gonna care. If you actually tell him that he's he's gonna go.
Speaker 1: I got her. Yeah, he doesn't care.
Speaker 2: You don't need you don't need these proclamations of boundaries. You don't need to announce the boundary. You said it exactly, forget it, because you know what, I announced boundaries a lot, I allow people to cross them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I feel like it's like every time I go to quit smoking and I announce it, I don't the quitting stops eventually. It's like you kind of got to do things without telling anybody because you're yeah, it's miss.
Speaker 1: Here's a little secret.
Speaker 2: Nothing lets someone who is testing boundaries know that your boundaries are weakest ship more than announcing your boundaries only only only the week announced their boundaries because they have they're like convincing themselves that they're actually setting them. And then someone who knows how to break down boundaries said this fucking weak gass bitch, and they go and then the boundary is done.
Speaker 4: Yeah, think of a guy coming into your work going, I just want you to know that My boundary is that I'm not going to be playing these games.
Speaker 1: When you text me, you're gonna go, You're gonna go got them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're gonna skip home and you're going to masturbate to how you got them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I think that's a good idea.
Speaker 2: Anytime as a woman you're trying to do something, role play doing it as a man, and see how much of a pussy ass bitch.
Speaker 1: You look like and then you still look like that as a woman.
Speaker 2: Okay, you soon do. It's just socially acceptable. Just you know the thing, the thing that's so bothersome for you writer. Oh yeah, you said some attach your picks. Oh yeah, you work at this restaurant.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I remember. I'm sorry if I was awkward when you came in Christina, I've been a fail. You a nice restaurant. Yeah, amazing restaurant. You were lovely and sweet? Fuck I lost it. What was I gonna say? I forget? I don't know. You try to do is remember, like I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: You were just a notch on his bedpost, and it sucks to be a notch on our bed post.
Speaker 1: And we all like the thing, we're a song like above that, and like, I know we're not.
Speaker 2: We've all been a notch on someone's bedpost, and it's fine.
Speaker 1: This is what I was getting at.
Speaker 4: There is something that a guy, a guy, or a woman or a non binary person can hook you the bread crumbing thing.
Speaker 1: It's like even a dude.
Speaker 2: You don't even fucking like that much can sometimes manage to hook you.
Speaker 1: With that move.
Speaker 2: And you're like, I don't even like, like, have you ever been like like ghosted by a guy that you're like, I didn't even fucking like you. But you realize you look back and you're like, oh, you're playing mind games and I wanted to win. Oh yeah, that's like the guy guy you lets you who literally interrupted my life. I go, I was zero percent interested in you. You went out of your way to work on the relationship and then I mean I solved that puzzle, but like yeah, fuck you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's like, yeah, you can.
Speaker 4: You can certain I don't think you were actually into this guy as much as he was just playing you and you don't, like, no one wants to be played and he's being sexy and like an elusive but like but also it's like you're kind of like I think you're you're mourning what could have been in your mind, but like when you actually look at what what really went down between you, there's not a lot of substance there. You went out for drinks a couple of times, like you didn't have a relationship nothing. He was just like you were there. Yeah, there's nothing really happened.
Speaker 2: A lot, a lot, I think a lot of you filled in a lot extra in your mind and listen, we all do that, but this relationship really didn't have much substance. Okay, so you're thinking like what could have been or like what or what you like what happened after the ellipses in your mind, but like none of that went down.
Speaker 1: He doesn't. You don't mean anything to this guy. I know. That's it. What could have been? In hope, they're so addict. Just stop answering him, Stop answering him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so every time, the only solution, every time you feel the poll, you have to do the work to mentally like wrangle yourself back in by reminding yourself that this guy's a dime a doz and he does this to everybody. He's not really doing anything wrong. It's just like you don't want this guy. Yeah, you don't want this guy.
Speaker 2: And I also like, you don't need to be a bit to him when he comes in. Literally, just yeah, that's gonna be wee, that's gonna come off. And don't be cold, just be yeah, exactly, be regular and stop responding. Yeah, serve him whatever he you know, his coffee or whatever, and then that's it. That's the only relationship that you have. There are so many hot guys in Brooklyn. It's stupid. Okay, they're so hot. Go go go out, go out with your.
Speaker 4: Girlfriends, show you titties or whatever you feel comfortable doing, and you'll get another one.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, I promise guys.
Speaker 4: March seventh, that is our next residency show at the MasterCard Midnight Theater for guys we fuck. That is also the very first live events that we will be joined by our new guy, our.
Speaker 1: New younger guy.
Speaker 2: He's not my younger man, someone different, Eric Freddy, Eric Freddy, everybody. Yeah, sprightly, he's you know, light on his feet, and I got a fun idea planned for us to open the show.
Speaker 4: So make sure you get your tickets. The link to those tickets on his feet.
Speaker 2: I just feel like it I feel like young people are like lighter on their feet, you know, because they're like, we're never going to die.
Speaker 1: Mike didn't like, Oh wow, you know you didn't that okay was vicious. I'm sorry. It wasn't a fat joke, Mike. Oh no, it wasn't it. No, it wasn't a fat joke. I just it means like older people are slower. That's better. Yeah, that's all. That's all I meant. I like that Mic was more comfortable with the older people are slower. That was sash. I really couldn't tell you, guys relaxed.
Speaker 2: I'm the oldest person in the room, so everyone relaxed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you're you look the youngest, so doesn't count. Okay.
Speaker 4: Also, uh, I have a stand up comedy album. Out's my Davy stand up comedy album, Good Girl Bar. But you could stream it on Spotify. You can listen to it on iTunes. It's pretty sick. And I have a patreot on page where once a week I do group Zoom sherapy.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: And I got to say I had I had a session over the weekend. I usually do them on Tuesdays and then one weekend and it was the theme was depression with a little dash of abortion.
Speaker 2: And I know, and I know I attract people that have issues with their parents, that have severe mental problems. Yeah, because I have, because I'm honest about mine. And I love watching a Christina audience. A lot of just sad girls in card against It. Hell yeah girl sweet. But I got to say, I'm really because I'm in such a good place. I am able to talk to other people about their severe suicidal depression and I'm able to make them laugh and it's pretty joyful.
Speaker 1: I got to say, because I've been there and I know what it's like, and i know it's not cute.
Speaker 2: Or fun, but it's a good I think this group, the group thing that I'm doing, it's just really good.
Speaker 1: It's really special and lovely. And you could sign up.
Speaker 4: If you sign up for just five bucks a month, you can listen to these recordings of all these zooms and you have a long list of you know, singable zoom episode So Patreon dot com slash Christina Hutchinson.
Speaker 2: It's a really cool space. I'm just envisioning someone writing their suicide. No, like, Christina, you did all you did well.
Speaker 1: You know, if you're gonna do it. You're gonna do it. I can't. I'm not there, but like you should do that. That's you should be your merch.
Speaker 6: We'll do it.
Speaker 1: You're gonna do it. But what Nike symbol that's so funny? No, because I'll get sued for by people's parents. Do this, do this Nike symbol the other way? You know, it's down the mirror upside down. You're gonna do it, You're gonna do.
Speaker 2: I do have merch that says congrats on a skeleton hand thumbs up.
Speaker 1: Uh, And I do mean it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, there's something about like being feeling like I feel like it's common for a lot of people with mental health issues to want to die, and there's a difference between wanting to die.
Speaker 1: And actually formulating a plan.
Speaker 4: There's all kinds of various stages of being suicidal. But you know, living in a world of you know, I want to escape this feeling I have let me go online, or let me jerk off, or let me smoke weed or you know, there's so many options we have to escape our feelings. And I'm like, why don't we just lean in and then make fun of ourselves? And it's I gotta say, it's potent. It's very healing, and it's very potent.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: And then March twenty second and twenty third, Springfield, Missouri.
Speaker 1: I'm headlining the Blue Room. Thank you, Oh the Voices in Our Heads.
Speaker 4: My podcast solo podcast on Big Mikey d Dong Dicky's network Slip Back Studios. When he when he exits Guys, we fucked, he is still a second mic on my solo show, so and he sALS, he makes a lot of noises and.
Speaker 1: It's really fun going on. Yeah every Monday, baby, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: And then for me, if you want to listen to my podcast that makes people so mad when I post clips about it online without a country, because they just don't know what's what is going on.
Speaker 1: It's it's real. It really actually tickles me just people.
Speaker 2: I just let people have huge fights in the comments with themselves, and then I chuckle a little bit as I as I read them, because I'm like, you just really don't I don't know what we're like, what we're talking about. I mean, it's really a long form podcast, but since you have to make a clip for everything these days, it's just very funny. So anyway, without a Country Podcast, very fun episode this weekend. I mean when I say fun, I mean like in the context of the news, it's not really light or fine. But we talked about you know, a Culton Kenya that you probably don't know about, where you know, a lot of the kids end up dead. It's just like my point was, because like, there's a lot of horrific, horrific things happening in the world, but really we really only concentrate on things that affect us in America.
Speaker 1: So I just think that's interesting.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then we also talked about.
Speaker 2: Michael Rubin, the CEO of Fanatics, destroying the baseball card industry.
Speaker 1: That was very interesting to me.
Speaker 2: And then of course we're getting heavy into what looks like it's going to be Biden versus Trump twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: And I gotta give you.
Speaker 2: The Kennedy ad in the Super Bowl, the independent ad Kennedy yet yeah, yeah, yeah, yes, yes, yes, well independent. And I also got to give props to who's ever handling Joe Biden's social media because they posted the most hilarious picture with the Joe Biden's eyes glowing, and it was just like, what was the actual problem?
Speaker 1: I knew the chief just the way we planned the chiefs.
Speaker 2: And I love that because I think really one thing the Democratic Party is missing is a sense of humor.
Speaker 1: They're just not as funny as Republicans.
Speaker 2: Because and this leans into what I always say on the podcast about comedians, the funniest comedians we know the worst people like the soul wise, So that's why Republicans are so funny, because they don't they.
Speaker 1: Don't have no compass.
Speaker 2: And I don't want to say that as a wide sweeping statement. My show Without a Country is actually about the fact that I think the two political parties are actually equally soulless. It's just that Liberals are performatively household.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so I thought that was.
Speaker 2: Really funny, and I'm kind of I'm just like, you know what, I've just accepted the fact that it's Trump first versus Biden, and now it's like, let's booking go.
Speaker 1: There's just fucking goshing old guy versus old guy. Let's go, let's do it so goddamn energetic? Is he on roids or something? I mean like just like there's different versions of people in their you know, seventies fast food. Isn't that so do I.
Speaker 2: I have lots of energy, yeah, but still you still eat that? Hell yeah, that's crazy. I talk about like once a week. Wow, yeah, no problem, that's me. Guys just doesn't slow them down.
Speaker 1: You just like got you gotta learn what your body can handle, you know. So yeah, listen to Without a Country.
Speaker 2: It's comes out Wednesday nights, and again I recommend watching on YouTube because there's a lot of visual elements.
Speaker 1: But do whatever the hell you want. Washington, d C.
Speaker 2: I'm coming to see you, uh, February twenty ninth through March second five shows at the DC Comedy Loft, and I will be accompanied by Chloe Lebrain answer. You heard a couple episodes ago. It's gonna be such a fun show. Have lots of new material that you haven't heard yet. I mean unless you've been following me around and watching all my shows then you say it. But not like yet released online. So that's gonna be sick as fuck. Definitely grab a ticket to that all right now? Oh, yes, this is what we did this week. So we Christina and I this week we both watch the new Netflix. Uh call me a TV series, but that's a film.
Speaker 1: No, it's a documentary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm like, well, I don't know why it's listed as a TV series, but it's yeah, it's a it's a single documentary and it's called lover Stalker Killer, and the synopsis is a mechanic tries online dating for the first time and meets a woman who takes romantic obsession to a deadly extreme.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Women, So this popped up on.
Speaker 4: What was it?
Speaker 2: I guess it was Friday, Like it was like Friday night maybe for me Fridayaturday night.
Speaker 1: I popped up and me and Alfred watched it. Alfred big TV dog was riveted the whole time. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you guys have if your dog's watch TV. Mine my whole life, I've never had a dog that watched TV. My childhood dog's never watched TV. My dog watches watches Like if you go like this, he'll go like to get around like he is watching the TV. He's you see his eyes following the characters. When if there's like a fight or he goes like he goes like this, He'll bark when a bad guy round it on stage.
Speaker 1: He's riveted. Wow.
Speaker 2: So it's like it's so funny too, because my dream was to have a dog to watch TV with and like he dreams watches it. So anyway, we we got really into this and uh, this this to me so what I wanted? When did you solve it? How long did it temp you to solve it? When they revealed, I mean, we're okay, soil if you want to watch this fast forward, it's still.
Speaker 4: Riveting though to find out I didn't know the storyline, and it's riveting. But even if you know the storyline, it's still like, damn when they I mean, as they revealed it, are you serious coming?
Speaker 1: Christina?
Speaker 2: Three minutes in I knew that Liz was Liz had had murdered Carrie and was pretending to be her. Three minutes in the minute she shows up to the date because she left something in the apartment.
Speaker 1: I fucking well, that was weird.
Speaker 2: I knew, but that was I knew the whole thing because she showed up to the other woman's house, Carrie's house. Okay, so what's gonna happen? Yeah, So what's happening is what's the mechanics name?
Speaker 1: Again? Just call him Bob. I don't know, all right, No, it's not Michael. Wait, let me let me look it up love Me Lovers Kitler. This guy I feel like this.
Speaker 4: Guy felt so like secretly was like damn all these Well, the thing is he he was a nice guy, but he also.
Speaker 1: Looks like he could have been like an extra member in smash Mouth. The way she dresses. He was a good guy. Like this is like in fucking Omaha, Nebraska. He's like the toast to the town.
Speaker 2: And it didn't make me realize, Wow, if we were dating in Omenhall, Nebraska would be the hottest commodities.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean you don't even have for Christina. Just go to Atlantic City, New Jersey. Oh, his name is Dave work Yeah.
Speaker 2: So so the mechanics guy name is Dave Right And so him and his ex wife Amy Uh they share cussy of their kids. He ends up moving to He moves to Nebraska to because he wants to be a hands on dad and like him and his ex wife are on good terms, but they're not no longer romantically involved. So he starts sets up a whole new life because she wants to His ex wife wants to move home to Nebraska.
Speaker 1: A man moving for a woman, I mean in it's actually lovely. He seems like a.
Speaker 2: Really nice guy. Yeah, he does, and so he doesn't want anything serious. He's, you know, thirty five restarting dating. He goes online dating early guys of you know, early Days of Earth, Early Dies, Freudian.
Speaker 1: He goes the early days.
Speaker 2: Of online dating, and he meets this woman named Liz, and they both talk about how they want really casual relationship. Liz seems fun or like party girl, like they're fucking, they're going to bars.
Speaker 1: She wants something casual. He's like, perfect, me too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well it's so funny because in retrospect it's like he presented that he wanted something casual and she's.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, me too. And then of course yeah and I can yeah.
Speaker 2: And then he's a mechanic and then one day he's at the shop and this woman, Carrie, stops by to get her car fixed or something.
Speaker 1: He's like who's that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then but he's like being professional, he's the manager of the mechanic shop. He doesn't make any moves. They but then they find each other on a dating website. They match on a dating website and they're like I know you, and she's like I know you. And then they set up a date right, I guess it is weird. How would Liz know where that chick lives?
Speaker 1: Well, no, it was at his house.
Speaker 2: Oh it was.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So then they have their first they have their first day, like the first time, they go home to Dave's house. As soon as they start getting hot and heavy, Carrie and Dave the second woman, there's a buzz on Dave's apartment and it's Liz, the first casual woman, And I just want to be cash too, And she says, oh, I left something at your apartment, Like, first of all, if it's casual, what the fuck are you leaving that you need in the middle of the night at his apartment?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I didn't say what it was, No, and write her sanity.
Speaker 2: And right when that happens, I go, Liz is about to kill Carrie and pretend to be Carrie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, possumously. See, I was you know what I mean? I thought Liz.
Speaker 4: Really likes Dave and she's pretending to forget something totally something else.
Speaker 2: Oh she doesn't really like Dave, but yea than that different way. Well, and then I started getting worried about my mental health. I go, I wanted to see how long it took you to solve it, because I think it was a testament to how fucking nuts I can be if I need to be that I was able to solve the fact that Liz was gonna murder Carrie and pretend to her for years before they discovered Carrie's body, Like I knew, one hundred percent amazing, that's the fucking move I knew.
Speaker 4: Actually when Carrie's mom was like her house, she didn't pack up her bags. Why would she say she's documentary right, Like, why would she say she's moving to start a new job somewhere in another state. And then you look at her house and it's just like she just left real quick to go to the store. And I'm like Lane and thanking, yeah I was.
Speaker 2: And they make Carrie that when they thought it was Carrie all this crazy shit to Dave and his ex wife and kids. I was like Carrie, and they were, you know, saying, well, she's bipolar. I'm like, I don't think bi polar people do that. Bipolar people, I think more often hurt themselves, yeah, other than others. I mean, this suicide rate very high if you have bipolar disorder that you're not managing properly and you know, obviously if you have biopolar disorder, you know, lay off the drugs at alcohol number one, number one thing to do. But yeah, so I was number one concerned about how quickly I saw that, and then like it takes so long for the police officers to solve it too. I'm like, you guys, like, I know, it's maybe not as crazy murders happening, and like the first time you have to tackle a mystery like this, there's usually only one case like this in a in a in your police officer's entire career and an investigator's career. But it's like, come on, I mean, the guy you don't think outside the box a little bit that someone could be pretending, but you're you're not an investigator by profession.
Speaker 1: I was like, howl investigators not thinking. They seem very sane people.
Speaker 2: The two guys, and when the one guy was like, I they should buy a woman on yeah, when he was diagnosed with a brain tumor and he was like, hey, would it affect my ability to like do this case because I really need to find proof so we could get this lady in jail, And they were like, yeah, what affect your ability is like, okay, hold on the brain tumors thing real quick, I'm gonna solve this case.
Speaker 1: I'm like, god, damn, they're really into it. Oh I wanted to fuck that guy so bad. Yeah, me too. He's really he had something going on for himself, autism. Yeah, I liked it. Yeah, he was on this fast room.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, the way they.
Speaker 4: Found the pictures on the deleted SIM card, I was like, fuck, good job you guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was genuinely shocked. The murder yeah, basically on yeah, on the deleted SIM card.
Speaker 2: So just so you guys know, if you're planning a murder, even if you delete a SIM card, the FED still have a way to go back, Like you need to actually like permanently destroy it, like light it on fire or whatever. Because So what happens is that, you know, the first time Dave goes to work, and uh, after he goes to work, the after spending a couple of nights with Carrie. Uh, they've been dating for like two weeks at this point, Liz shows up and murders Carrie. But what happens is Carrie like sends a tech Carrie in quotes, yeah, sends a text message to Dave, that's like, hey, we should move in together, literally two weeks after they started dating, and he's like, no, I thought we talked about this.
Speaker 1: And then the fake carry you're ruining my lips out. She's like, you're ruining my life.
Speaker 2: And then she disappears, you know, He and and and he doesn't see her again, but she he starts hearing from her, and she's like harassing him. He's she's harassing. The kids say, harassing Liz. She's harassing, harassing the ex wife. But the whole time, it's original girl Liz posing as Carrie and going as far as to harass herself and the.
Speaker 1: Bit shooting herself the biggot in the fucking foot. She she does. Liz does shoot herself.
Speaker 2: But the biggest power move is Liz sets her own house on fire and kills her pet owned pets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's how committed she is to being a fucking psychopath and framing dead Carrie.
Speaker 4: Dude, when they were questioning her and it was very clear that we were doing it, I'm like, you are on another planet, girlfriend.
Speaker 2: I know, and Dave seems so normal, and then when you see Liz being interviewed, you're like this woman is really unwell, not even hot.
Speaker 1: Nope, not even hot. She's probably good in bed though, because she's yeah, I mean not even I mean she and I guess, you know, as the time goes on.
Speaker 2: Well, the way they that one of the way that they catch her is they trace back the IP address, and she was using a lot of VPNs. Good to a smart lady, she was using a lot of VPNs, but the savvy bang ground.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They finally trace it back, and they trace it.
Speaker 2: Back to another IT guy who works in the same space as the IT investigator, and they're like, Yo, this is my our fucking colleague so and so. And then then all of a sudden you start thinking like, oh my god, it did a man kill her? And then you find out that Liz started dating this IT colleague guy and has been using his IP address to send fake emails as Carrie, send fake test text messages as Carrie. And then they go back because they had had uh who carries car like, they found it eventually and it was just uh, they had what's the word when you just had been abandoned and they had looked at they did the spray thing for blood and they find nothing on the surface.
Speaker 1: This is another thing if you're going to commit a murder. To keith this in mind.
Speaker 2: So she had sat, she had cleaned the inside of the car really well so that nothing was showing up under the black light. But then what they did was they slit off the leather seats and looked at the cushion in between.
Speaker 1: The leather, and there was the blood.
Speaker 2: Steeds blood because it leaks through the little air holes in the seats, and so even if you clean the surface, a good investigator knows to slice the seat seats open. I was actually surprised it took them so long to slice the seats, So, yeah, that was weird. But she she really did try to cover her track for years.
Speaker 1: She was dumping around.
Speaker 4: I'm writing this bit a bit about this, but it reminded me of this idea of like, you know, everyone thinks serial killing and murdering is a man's game, but I think that's because men are the only ones who get fucking caught.
Speaker 1: Like women are much more sneaky. Think, oh bad men are at cheating.
Speaker 2: Now, they're so bad at it, and then all the murder, like they don't even try to fucking cover shit up.
Speaker 1: Uh, the way that a woman, Well, I think their rage clouds their ability to clean.
Speaker 4: Oh right, because you're thinking, brain is offline, yeah, thinking ahead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but women women just aren't inherently as violent.
Speaker 2: But I think you are a woman who has the ability to actually murder someone, your ability to cover it up, Yes, I agree, would very much better.
Speaker 1: Also, we're just better at cleaning, you know, so much better at cleaning. Oh what a perk? Yeah, I mean that.
Speaker 2: So it was it was crazy, but yeah, I was just so alarmed by how quickly I knew exactly what was happening, and I wanted like I wanted to So if you watched it, how long did it take you to figure out exactly what was happening? Because I think it really is a good test of how fucking apeeshit crazy you are.
Speaker 1: I didn't know. I didn't know it out of my mind.
Speaker 4: I had a And then when they revealed like nothing was packed in Carrie's house, I was like, huh, that's weird. Yeah, maybe something weird's going on, but I didn't think it was Lizo's Carrie not Yeah, I thought something was weird.
Speaker 2: At that point when her house set on fire, I go, damn, this bitch set her own house on fire.
Speaker 1: Pets.
Speaker 2: No, well, the thing she's she's obviously. I was surprising me, like she's in jail for life now. But I was surprised they didn't. I mean, I guess that's why they didn't go into the case a ton and I wouldn't. I didn't look into it, uh further, but uh it seems like if I was defending her, I would be like plead insanity because she killed your own pets, So I would believe it. Yeah yeah, yeah, me too, Like there has to be something deeply wrong. I mean, like you're like like like she's like a sociopath or did they say she had a.
Speaker 1: History of doing this kind of ship or no? No, Dave's got that that good day d Yeah that that dick to bomb. Yeah, like Liz has it has.
Speaker 2: Kids and ship too, Oh right, yeah she does. Yeah, lizend, Liz kids, Carrie has son, they all had kids. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, Well, because that was like they pointed that out.
Speaker 2: They were like Liz's kids weren't home when the apartments fire, but her pets were.
Speaker 1: Right right right right right her poor kids. Oh Jesus Christ, that's terrible. Well, women are capable of murder too.
Speaker 4: I'm always more interested in hearing about a woman murder just because you don't hear about him as often. And then I'm always humored by how much better they are at covering it up.
Speaker 1: You get caught too, but just not as much well.
Speaker 2: And then, like, what was interesting to me also was that the part of the film where Dave, you know, is really thinks Carrie set Liz's house on fire, and then that you know, in the sadness, like Liz and Dave get back together for a second, they run into each other's arms, So at that point you would think Liz like, we got god, you want stop the craziness, right, But then she moves away, saying that she's scared that Carrie's gonna do something else to her. So it's all about the attention for her, gets another boyfriend and doesn't talk to Dave.
Speaker 1: For a while. So it's like, do you want the Like It's like, yeah, you don't even specifically want David cy.
Speaker 4: She just wants chaos and she wants people to feel like scared, right, which is sociopathic.
Speaker 1: I mean yeah, because I'm like that's the weird part. I'm like, oh, you got him back.
Speaker 2: And also initially when Carrie, when fake Carrie says like, hey, do you want to move in together? And Dave immediately says no. Shouldn't that have made Liz feel happy? Right? But he didn't want to move in with the other chick, right, And she just wanted to fuck with him for fucking with him sake, Yeah, because that wasn't her goal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a psychological torture. Yeah, really really crazy shit. Hey, women could be pieces of shit.
Speaker 2: One of the crazier cases I've seen, because I've at this point, I've seen so much true crime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is very interesting. I'm always so fascinated by human behavior.
Speaker 4: And I think one of the reasons why everybody loves crime stuff, and it's not just women, men love it too, is because look, if one person is capable of it, we're all capable of it, you know, you know what I mean, Like I good and bad. So I don't know that we are, though I believe we are capable of it, but we would stop ourselves.
Speaker 1: We would never get it. Like you think that we're I'm not capable that.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: I think it's within all of us. I think I didn't agree with everybody.
Speaker 2: No see Ever, ever since I went to Bodies the experiment and I and I uh the exhibition, sorry, and I saw the brains, I don't believe that we're all keeping I I do think there are certain levels of crimes, mostly in the serial killing sphere, that there is actually a difference in brain structure that everyone is not capable. I can tell you right now, I am not capable of setting my own house on fire and killing my animal.
Speaker 1: I am not capable. I'm zero percent capable of that.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess more of It's like, it's very intriguing that a human is capable of doing such things.
Speaker 1: It's just very fascinating.
Speaker 2: There are some people on this planet that I hate so much. I could not kill them. Yeah, I couldn't.
Speaker 1: I just I don't have it in me.
Speaker 2: And it's actually bad because it puts me at risk. Right, what if they were trying to kill you? No, I know, and I fear that I, even under those conditions that I couldn't.
Speaker 1: I don't know. If I could self defense, I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe in the moment, if they're like literally running at me, maybe, right, That's what I'm thinking about. I just well, you know, if you're gonna stab or shoot or whatever in self defense, you get them in the legs or something or the hand so that.
Speaker 1: They can think stab someone. And that's another thing.
Speaker 2: Liz stab Carry to death, and even her mom it's not it's not funny at all.
Speaker 1: But even her mom.
Speaker 2: Points out, like she basically is like, man, why'd you have to stab my daughter? Like she's kind of like, couldn't you just like done something else? Yeah, And I'm like her one, dude, I hear you. Oh, and I thought the most interesting part for you was that, so Carrie's mom is interest is interviewed a lot throughout this and that's also how you know Carrie is dead the whole time, because it's like when they're not showing the po the part where.
Speaker 4: Her deceased husband was like, hey, Nance carries with me, and that's why we can use mediumship to solve crimes.
Speaker 1: Motherfuckers. They could also hear people's grief and it's the new future.
Speaker 2: Well, the problem the medium mediumship is there's so many Charlatans in this space. But like the thing was so her Carrie's dad had been dying of cancer right around the same time, Oh Harry went missing, and so at one point, Carrie's mom says, I had a really really vivid dream where my husband came to me and said, don't worry, carries with me and she's safe and I and the mom was like, oh fuck, and that brought them up. Well. I think that brought the mom peace though, because I think when you have a child missing for so long, you kind of know they're dead, and then it's like the living in that limbo is very difficult, even when you're waiting for someone to die, like with my when I was waiting for It feels weird to say that, but like, you know he's dying, and it's like that limbo is the the my I was. I damaged my teeth. I had so much anxiety during that time because I was clenching so much. Like my I showed up to the dentist and my dentist is like, what the fuck happened to your mouth? And I go, sorry, my dad was dying for the past year and so I was clenching my job. But yeah, that that that state of limbo is even more unpleasant than knowing that your daughter was murdered. I think you just don't know what the fuck is going on, and you just feel so lost and so helpless.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was fascinating. Yeah she said that, and I was like, oh fuck, oh that you know what. That was the moment where I was like, that was the moment where I was like, all right, she's definitely dead. Then oh yeah, like not without a doubt, like that's true. It was so clear it just doesn't happen. Yeah, I was like, that's one hundred.
Speaker 2: But that's like when my childhood best friend came to me and or I guess maybe it was like my dad coming to me and be like check on I don't want to say check on so and so, and then I was like yeah, I mean like that was a fucking message. I wasn't fully asleep, but it was like right at the early morning, right at the early morning, it was like woke me up, and I'm like, I totally believe in that stuff. Yeah yeah, yeah, damn, oh damn, crazy crazy, crazyzy shit.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, now it's time for more crazy shit. Yeah, let's get into it.
Speaker 4: Her personal essays, they've appeared in a lot of places like The Cut, Time magazine and Rompert. She is the author of the book More a Memoir of an Open Marriage. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome to the show. Molly wrote in Winter.
Speaker 3: Kay.
Speaker 6: The world.
Speaker 1: Ffecle see.
Speaker 6: Ooh bospacy for something at Travi Library more who innophe ratrabili si long saven cares o man.
Speaker 4: Okay, guys, we are here with author Molly Rode in Winter. You have a book out right now called me More Mammore of an Open Marriage. I was reading the inside cover the Little Flat, and I was like, this is fucking juicy. It feels like a graphic Sorry, graphic novels about to happen. Can you go over a little bit for us, like uh the uh being in an open marriage, being polyamorous? Like how that came about?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well it was kind of a long journey to get there. So I didn't use that term open marriage. I didn't even I mean, I certainly didn't use the term polyamorous because one of my initial rules was no falling in love.
Speaker 1: That was never my goal.
Speaker 5: In fact, I thought loving more than one person was to be avoided at all costs.
Speaker 1: Me too. Why did you think that I thought that?
Speaker 5: Because I thought that that meant that there would be not enough love for me. If he loved somebody else, or if I loved somebody else, then I would want to leave him right and I'd blow up my life. Yeah yeah, yeah, So either me loving somebody or him loving somebody both seemed really dangerous possibilities. Yeah, So Polly was never like my goal, and I thought of that as kind of a you know, fringe, kind of crazy thing that some people were able to do and I never would. So, like, my initial title for the book was actually the Experiment, because that's the way it kind of felt at first, like we were embarking on a sort of dangerous experiment.
Speaker 1: Which makes that's fun, keeps you on your toes.
Speaker 2: That's also how we described this podcast enough when we started it, like for real, we kind of described it as a social experiment because back in the day we were actually interviewing guys, we had fucked guys, we had relationships with the origin and you know, and asking like ten years later, you know, yeah, so that's very interesting that for the for you to be sitting here now saying.
Speaker 1: That experiments are good, they're important conclusions.
Speaker 5: Exactly right, It's all very scientific. Yeah, I didn't really have like a control group per se, But I say, like the rest of society might be considered the control group. See how monogamy is going and by comparison is good. Yeah, that's kind of my feeling.
Speaker 4: So, so, you were on you were at a you were out, and you were asked out by a guy, and you were at this point, you were in a closed marriage, you were monogamous with your husband, you had kids right at the time, and a guy asks you out. You come home and tell your husband, and your husband is like, go do it. I beat my heart sank when I read that, cause I'm like, fucking go do it. Well, you don't love me, But I know that's the immature response. I'm curious what you felt when you heard the room first.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I mean it wasn't coming out of nowhere. There was some precedent that was kind of like deeply buried in my memories of our before times, like before we got married, before I had two kids, and so when we first started dating, I had had like very very few partners, and my husband had had like fuck the city, yes very much. So yeah, yeah, and five of his ex girlfriends were at our wedding, which I thought was actually like a pretty good testament to like people still wanted to hang out with him, you know, and he always said to me like, there's no way you're going to be okay with only sleeping with me for the rest of your life. I was also five years younger, and I was like, I was like, all, well, you know, what do you mean, mister, Yeah, I love.
Speaker 3: You, you know.
Speaker 5: But by the time he was like go for it, I was like, yep, that's what I want to do, okay, But I didn't really I hadn't admitted it to myself. So we had been married at that point for nine years, together for almost twelve, I had kids that were three and six, you know what I mean. It's like we had gotten to a place where I was not feeling my best, to put it mildly, way, I was not I didn't feel like a whole person. I felt like I was this I was the role of mother more than anything else. And so it shocked me. Actually in that moment when I when I felt desire, it wasn't just that a guy asked me out. It was that I flirted all night with a guy and was like really experiencing desire for the first time in a long time.
Speaker 1: So electrifying. Yeah, desire, desire.
Speaker 5: Especially because like for a lot of moms, they think that is done for ever.
Speaker 1: Oh that a death sentence. Isn't that that terrible? I know really they just kind of go, well, I guess it's it.
Speaker 5: Well, I'll tell you. I mean, I feel like this this podcast, this episode could be called like reasons to never have children, but like, oh yeah, well a lot of.
Speaker 2: People where a lot of people say that about about what we talk about, but we we like to frame it as this is other options available to women podcasts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I think it's super important because I'm here to spread the gospel that you can be a mother and a whole fucking person.
Speaker 1: And I feel like that that is not.
Speaker 5: Something that is even imagined by a lot of women because I don't ever want to lose my relationship with my sexuality.
Speaker 1: And I know that in twenty years I might think.
Speaker 2: Differently, but right now, like I never want to see like seeing myself as a sexual being is not all of who I am, but I would never want to put that on a shelf, nor should you, Nor should you One of the things that we've talked about. I mean, here's just an example, but like you know, Kim Kardashian still posting a pictures of herself in a bikini. When you look at the comments on Twitter about she should stop doing that because she's a mom, it drives me over the edge. Nothing will make me angrier. And I really loved I heard you your interview on the New York Times Book Review podcast, and when you were speaking about the concept of children being important for them to see their parents as whole people. I thought, now that's the thing I'd like to talk about for an hour. I think that's really really important, and society just doesn't get it. Like, once you're a mom, you're a mom, and you have to somehow be a different person. You have to be this angelic version. It's almost like we're going back to the purity that you experience as a young woman. And it's really repulsive, I think as societally it's Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, we could talk about it from so many different angles and it would be the same message that women are being asked to and not asked to, forced to make themselves smaller and less and until we fully you know embody our whole selves all the time, right, not just for a few years. Not just when we're like out with our friends at the bar, but like all the time, society as a whole is going to suffer because my belief is that it's feminine energy that's gonna save us, and we are being slowly strangled.
Speaker 1: I agree with that. Oh fuck, that's heavy, but that's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's I had this. I was trying to make this a joke a while ago on my step. But like when women are horny, everyone's happy.
Speaker 2: Like when women have a healthy sexual desire and a healthy sex life, when their sex life is going the way that they wanted to go, which if they're a sexual they don't want it to go, but like however they wanted to go.
Speaker 1: If it's going, well the world is peaceful. Yeah, it's true. When only men are horny, no one's happy. Yeah, that's for sure.
Speaker 5: I mean that is just you know, it's a great rule of thumb to live by.
Speaker 4: Well, there's something so powerful about a woman that really like make sure that every area of her life is taken care of, because you don't see it that often.
Speaker 5: I have to say, if you haven't read it yet, read Eliselanan's on Our Best Behavior and her chapter on lust. She interviewed me at my reading in LA and I was reading her book and finished it on the plane on the way home, and it's freaking amazing. It's all about like the Gospel of Mary Magdalene got buried, Like Mary Magdalene.
Speaker 1: Actually was not a whore. She was, Like I wasn't.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not surprised podcast maybe she was, but that was a good thing. What I mean, like, maybe I love Mary Maglin.
Speaker 5: Because she was a who I like, I don't want to.
Speaker 1: I don't want to, Jesus.
Speaker 5: But my point is that women's sexuality has been revered for millennia, and it's it's just, you know, quite recently in human history that it's been demonized, and I think it's time to like set the record straight across the board. Yeah, me too, and mothers. You know, it's an easy target. It's like it's like part of the reason that you don't feel very sexual after you have a baby is because you just had a human ripped out of your vagina.
Speaker 1: Body trauma, right, Yeah, you need a second And it's not like it's.
Speaker 5: All medicalized and it's all you know, there's there's a lot we could say about the birthing process. I'm not really I'm all for all the drugs and all the interventions because I'm not like so into pain your body, your choice exactly. I like the interventions, but I also feel like I was at my it was kind of this weird thing. This is the other thing I want to say, though, I feel like motherhood. Another thing we don't talk about is like I was at I was extremely horning when I was pregnant.
Speaker 1: Ooh that's fun. See that makes me want to have a baby.
Speaker 5: And this, I mean, thank god, my kids will never listen to this podcast. But like I was like close to our gasmic from breastfeeding. Oh cool, really breast weird. But I know it's super super super weird.
Speaker 2: And now you ask for obiguan about that, like if they told what if they told me it was like bad, Like no, I was pretty sure it was nature's way of making sure it didn't starve my babies.
Speaker 5: Like I was like, oh, it felt amazing why.
Speaker 2: Some people could have orgasms from their nipples being touched. I can wait, sorry, okay, yeah, yeah, no, it's amazing.
Speaker 1: That's so, but you always know.
Speaker 5: That it's actually it's become more recent actually that it's that I've let it happen again, and I never let it happen when my babies were little, right, you know, when I was nursing, it felt wrong, but it also felt.
Speaker 1: It felt weird.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, you're not sexualizing the baby. It's just like, oh, when the baby does this thing, why am I really aroused?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 5: Of course, just because you're supposed to feed your baby, right, and you're supposed to want to feed your baby. That's why sex feels good. I make a baby, right, we forget we forget that sex feels good and nursing it's.
Speaker 2: Incentive from the lor thanks, go wow, why don't I want to come one waiting? It makes well you know what though, because the one thing I so every week on the show, I want a kid, and then the next week I don't want a baby for various reasons.
Speaker 5: Fair, No, I feel that way, you know the times. Yeah.
Speaker 4: One of the reasons why I'm like, I don't think I want a baby this week is because you gotta get up in the middle of the fucking night to feed it. I'm really cranky and I can't think. But I'm like, that's interesting if breastfeeding caused some sort of arousal. I can understand. I've not been in I don't have a baby, but like you wouldn't sexualize the baby. It's just a feeling that comes with the thing, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it would make me get up.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: There's this thing you know where that you can like once you figure it out, where you can like lie in the bed and they can just like nurse all nightline. It's just it's just nice. Yeah, it's actually it was just like it's just pleasant. It's very pleasant.
Speaker 2: That's good because I hear I feel some people have a lot of experience a lot of pain while breast.
Speaker 1: And you're not supposed to.
Speaker 5: So that means that they are not like getting the wisdom they need from the women that they need to get it from.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, that's.
Speaker 4: Gonna be interesting to feel like an arousal type of feeling. Well, also, like the power of how beautiful it is to watch the baby that was just inside you get life force food from your body, Like.
Speaker 1: That's so cool.
Speaker 5: It's super freaking cool. And it's really hard because we make it hard in our culture, you know what I mean. It's not like there's space for women to do that or like or like maternity leave even though I was a teacher, you know, not paid.
Speaker 1: No, oh nine, teachers are so abused. I mean maybe two weeks.
Speaker 5: But like, yeah, when my mother, my mother was a teacher, and when she had my sister, No, and when she had me, she only got maternity leave for the weeks she had the flu. She had the flu when she had me. Oh, so she got paid because she had the flu, not because she had a baby.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, this country.
Speaker 5: Anyway, we digress a whole different episode I industry.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I want to go I want to kind of go back.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of interesting parts to this, but I think go back to the part in earlier in the conversation where you said, when you set out on this open marriage, the number one rule was not to fall in love.
Speaker 1: That was your cardinal rule.
Speaker 2: Even hearing someone say that, whether or not how I know, I know how it turns out ultimately, But even if I didn't know how it turned it out ultimately, to me, it's like, immediately I'm thinking, well, that's an impossible rule to set. Anyone who's ever been in love knows that you really don't have control over it. You can try, you can not act on it, but you can't make your stop stop feeling the love. So did you did you truly think that you could not could that you could like not have any like not have your husband fall in love, and that you could not have you fall in love?
Speaker 6: Did you?
Speaker 1: How are you going to go about that?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 5: So you're I mean, it doesn't sound real smart, No, And like, looking back, part of the reason I wrote the book in present tense was so that I was really like forcing myself to write from that place. And like, I'm sure it was wishful thinking, but all the other rules we had, I think were just designed to prevent me from falling in love right like, or to prevent him from so like no dating the same person twice in one week, or no sleepovers or no you know what I mean. It was like designed to kind of minimize all the contact that existed, the anxiety intimacy.
Speaker 2: Such a you really got to contend with your own ego when you're like, am I my husband's favorite person?
Speaker 1: Because I fucking better be like what.
Speaker 2: I want to be your favorite? Even if you saw a love of other people, I'm your favorite. And if that ever changes, we're not together, but don't you have a little bit of an interest? Like for me, like I like to leave it on the table. I go yeah, I like to be like, yeah, try and fall in love with somebody else because I don't I don't mind if that is there for them, because I want to feel so certain that I'm their favorite person that even if they come into contact with other people that they really like, that I still will like rather than like hiding the you know, hiding my husband or my partner from the world.
Speaker 1: Well for sure, but I know the way men are when you get a crush.
Speaker 4: When you get a crush, it's so electrifying, it's all consuming. I couldn't imagine paying attention to my husband while also being in love with somebody else. I'd be like, you don't exist to me right now, husband, because I want to get into.
Speaker 5: That that is short lived though, like think like, of course, in polyamory, they always have terms for everything, and in the Ethical Slush which I was reading, and I you know, not at the beginning, but you know, during my journey, there's something called new relationship energy. And it doesn't make it any easier to know that, but it's like duh of course there's new relationship energy, like, yeah, all the good things and none of the bad.
Speaker 1: Thing you don't know their flaws yet.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and once you run, you've like I've rode that wave so many times now with my husband and he has with me that like it's still lovely to feel it, but I don't feel I think what you're describing CRANT is like very healthy self esteem.
Speaker 1: Actually it's like, wow, you nailed it the only time, everybody everything, it's.
Speaker 5: A pretty freaking big one.
Speaker 1: Well done where I can.
Speaker 5: Wow, you don't even have like an inflated sense of self. You know that you can't sing, I can't say you're the.
Speaker 1: First guest to come on and really get current, right, Yeah, you don't even know that's awesome?
Speaker 5: All right, well done, well done, unless you're mocking no, no, no, you're just saying that no, no, no.
Speaker 1: Good self esteem. It goes a long way.
Speaker 5: I did not have such self esteem, and I thought, oh no, he's not going to love me enough, and that's going to love somebody else. But that was what my journey really ended up being a discovery that oh I can't outsource love. I can't outsource my self esteem. I can't outsource my happiness. If I can't give these things to myself, I will never have them. They'll be sleeping no matter no matter who I think is giving them to me or should be giving them to me. So that's really, you know, spoiler alert, that's kind of where I landed, and it's I had to show in the book how that happened because it kind of felt like magic. I was, like, felt counterintuitive, like how did that happen? And part of my wanting to write the book was also my wanting to trace how the hell did I get from there to hear?
Speaker 2: You know, I wasn't sure what Another interesting part is that your parents had an open marriage that you learn about after the birth of your oldest child.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I learned about it a year before he was but I didn't talk to my mother about it until after he was born because I just held on to it because my aunt told me that she had had an affair, and my mother used the word affair too. They also didn't use the term open marriage. They felt like they were inventing something new.
Speaker 2: Right, It feels more illicit when they talk about it like that, whereas no, this was something they discussed, they planned, they knew about nominogamy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, But I also think my mother is still struggling with self esteem issues.
Speaker 1: I think she'd be one of the first to admit.
Speaker 2: It, like she because because of the March dynemic, or because she grew up in a world where women were treated like way more trash than we are now.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, very likely and truly go home and clean. What are you doing with those dreams?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, for real.
Speaker 5: I mean she didn't start therapy until I told her she had to after she got diagnosed with Parkinson's. I don't know, maybe ten years.
Speaker 1: Your parents are really evolved. They are your mom specifically, My mom is very evolved.
Speaker 5: She's also she she is such a big fan of the you know, she's simultaneously terrified or was terrified. She's getting a lot better with it, it's only been out for a month, but terrified about my writing the book, and also so proud of me and excited for me that I am able to do this.
Speaker 2: Is she projecting her own fears based on having lived a similar life.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I mean she's afraid of what people think, and she doesn't understand that about herself. We have a lot of conversations about like little self big self, Like your little self is afraid, your big self feels like pride and certainty in your choices, and you know has like a beautiful worldview. But it's like it's I think it's this constant battle that you know, it's a human thing, not just a female thing. But maybe females get it a little harder, this battle between little self big self.
Speaker 1: It's it's a conversation.
Speaker 5: We have a lot.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's so cool. Do you do you think?
Speaker 2: I mean, was there something in the air in the household you grew up in? Is there kids be genetically? I just find it fascinating that you kind of it's for you to want to be in an open marriage and your parents to be in an open marriage. It feels like almost like a nature versus nurture conversation, even though I don't.
Speaker 1: Think that it is.
Speaker 2: But was there looking back now on how you were raised, the converse stations that were happening in your household, is there any signs of why why you might have chosen this?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've thought about it. I mean, my sister definitely no, like my parents. My mother told my sister when I was going to when the book was going to come out, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean.
Speaker 5: I was like, you've got to tell my sister, you know, because they never talked about it, so it was not sex, was not a conversation. The one thing I will say is that I knew that my mother had a special friendship with a man and a guy.
Speaker 1: Special friend right, and it's a lady named Cindy.
Speaker 5: But I feel like there was something about that friendship that that I did kind of aspire to, you know what I mean, there was something freer about you noticed too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was just going to say, maybe you notice your mom was a little happier when when the special friend came around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I like this new mom.
Speaker 5: It was especially I have a scene in the book where she's on the phone with him like a back like she would laugh in a very specific way with him, and he cracked her up like nobody else, and it was like landline days. So she'd be like sitting at the phone table just like unable to breathe because she was laughing so Hardhe Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Know they still have the phone table.
Speaker 5: I have one of my house I grew up in very more even though it's like they still have the cordless but but they still stand right next to it. It's create all because they're in their eighties, but anyway, but it's like it's there's a sweetness to that. And and my father also, although he doesn't tell me much, I did, you know, learn a little more in the last few months about his past relationships. And they both have people in their lives that they were once intimate with that are friends now. And I think there's something about that. And I think there that's another thing that I've been I think this you know, kind of influx infusion of talking about polyamory has made people talk about lots of other kinds of intimacy, like like friendships that are not saying you know what I mean, like the idea that oh, men and women can still be friends with each other too onlike Mike pen saying like yeah, I could never.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's like that's damaging to our society too. Like I know, right, I was saying on this show, no girl, man wants to be your friend. I want to clean about but it's when in doubt, no girl. It's more of that that speaks more to not that men can and women can't be friends more that a lot of straight men can't be trusted to not just want sex.
Speaker 5: They don't know how, they don't know how to like do the emotion.
Speaker 2: The straight guys female friend wanted to fuck them, he'd probably say yes if it was on the table.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's also understood, also understood. But I also think that, like my husband has gotten he's always had female friends. Like I said, there are five ex girlfriends at our wedding, but like that was one of his selling points to me actually, and the fact that he has more women in his life now, Like I think of them now very differently than I used to.
Speaker 1: I used to think of this.
Speaker 5: As like a threat, but now they're like I'm like, uh, just you know, ask Kiewe what she thinks so that I'm sure she'll set you straight. Like I'm tired, I don't want to tell you. I don't want to tell you the same thing nine million times, and you're like sister wives.
Speaker 1: Now we're all on the say it, like what was it?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 2: I'm curious what it was like when you first had sex with somebody outside of your marriage, But I'm more curious about what was it.
Speaker 1: Like when you started falling in love with somebody. Yeah, like were you annoyed that your husband was there?
Speaker 2: I feel like i'd be so I'd be so one track minded of like all I give ish is being this person that I'm falling in love with, because that's so exciting at this time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, there's like the thing that I still it's like this is so deeply ingrained in us. It's more about my kids that I felt like that's healthy. I didn't want to think about. I didn't want to like if I into the playground or whatever, like you start going into autopilot at a certain point anyway, you know what I mean. Like now I walk past a playground, I'm like, oh, I remember the sandbox, And then I have to slap myself and be like, well, you fucking hated the sandbox. It was awful stop like z yeah, yeah, like romanticizing like I remember and like, yeah, I loved when they were little, but I love now that they're older, and like I can go out with my oldest and like split a bottle of wine and like talk about real shit. Like that's nice too, But I feel like I felt this guilt more that like I was thinking about like another man when I should be giving my full attention to my kids. But at the same time, so it was like this battle inside of me, but at the same time it was it wasn't doing them any favors. When I was walking around kind of a walking migrain, as you know, I think I was for several years there because I was just pent up to such a degree, pens up from what exactly, pent up from trying to be perfect, pent from I mean, I live in park Slope, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I read that. I'm like, God, that's all images, like, I know, what kind of stroller.
Speaker 2: Do you have?
Speaker 1: Like the new egg stroller?
Speaker 5: And I kind of prided myself and I like making friends with people who were also kind of anti park Slope, even though there we were.
Speaker 1: The best is to be anti parkslope. In parks.
Speaker 5: It's like, let's go into the tree lined street and talk about how stupid everybody's like a point of pride that I never joined the food co op and I went Parkslope parents once and then I was like this is stupid. Yeah, But I was also like, yeah, I just felt so hemmed into this role that I was like, and I have such a kind of perfectionist, you know, tendency in me anyway, which is very common I think for a lot of women that I just didn't I didn't recognize what was happening because I also love my you know, it's like the thing you're supposed to say, but it's also true. I love my kids.
Speaker 1: My kids are awesome.
Speaker 5: They were also really it was really difficult having two kids and having like trying to be a person at the same time, because I didn't you know, they.
Speaker 2: Always want something from you. They always sometimes you don't want to fucking want anybody to want.
Speaker 1: Something from you for a second.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they want something from you all the time. And it's always the mom yep, like the dad thing. It's like, yeah, let's go get nat shows and play in the arcade.
Speaker 1: Yeah cool. I wish my Like I feel like if I was the brother, why don't you want that from me? I want to do fun shit. I don't want to just pack your lunch.
Speaker 5: Yeah. They want you to like wipe their butt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's like a lot of I mean it's like years of ass wiping, yeah, right, years. Well, and there's a so there's a book that kind of talks about this, well, a part of it. There's a book called Getting to Idea that we've talked about many times on this show. It's primarily about masculine and feminine energy and how you can use that to me, you know, meet a person. But part of what the author talks about in the beginning is that a mom really should only be prioritizing the kid. I believe she said two to three years at the top of it, and then you should put self first again. And many mothers make the mistake of not going back to the place where they put self first again.
Speaker 1: And so the kid is like.
Speaker 2: Eighteen years old, do you remember when you made the switch to put self first?
Speaker 1: Has that happened?
Speaker 5: Like I think it was the moment that I met Matt in the book, because my little one was three, you know what I mean. Yeah, and my youngest love him, love him, love him sweety. But he was like he had like special like he needed therapies when he was a little kid. Like he's fine now he was extra doing great, Yeah, anymore a lot, and so he would it be the first two minute. That's partly why he is the coolest person you are now.
Speaker 4: Usually they grow up to be like pretty chill, awesome people when he's always fascinating the best.
Speaker 5: So I would never turn back time or have any it any other way. But like he was, he was also a needy little guy. Yeah, and so you know, then you have your first, and when your first turns three, then you have your second in my case, and then you've got another three years. So there's the six years right there, even if you prioritize, even if you try. But I love that advice. I think it's brilliant. I think that's what I did, but I think I harbored a lot of guilt about it. I think I started putting myself. Yeah, I think I started putting myself in that moment because I felt like if I don't, I'm going to implode or it's I felt it something deep inside me that it wasn't wasn't serving my Not only was it not serving myself. The only way I could kind of like give myself permission was to also be like, this isn't because it's not good for me, it's not good for my kids, like the old oxygen.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, you know, but like I.
Speaker 5: Could tell there was something in me that needed this and I and I couldn't stop following that kind of good fall the polls. Yeah, I felt following the poll Yeah.
Speaker 2: Because we've all I think we've all met someone and some of us have this person as my mom. I don't, but like the person who's one hundred percent momming from the day that she was a mom, and like, it's not a good energy.
Speaker 1: It's because then much on the TI, yes, you're so wrapped up. The kid doesn't it's not going to grow up to be kind of fucked up in some little way.
Speaker 4: And then but then the mom's gonna take everything the kid does personally because it's like, well, you are an extension of me.
Speaker 1: It's like, no, girl, you should have you should have separated yourself.
Speaker 5: A while back, No, I wrote an essay called leave your children before they leave you because because I have this moment I love ye dropping my Youngesttaff at college, Like I cried for a minute, but now I'm having a pretty good time. But then then he like didn't call for a few days. So I just talked to him today and I was like, oh, you know what I mean, Like.
Speaker 1: I have to hear from this guy.
Speaker 6: Nice to miss you.
Speaker 5: It's nice to miss you. I'm I'm glad you don't need to call me for five days. That means you're happy. Wow, sure, mom, God look, I have my own life, I know.
Speaker 3: God.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think part of it, like I have a I don't talk to my mom anymore.
Speaker 4: But we have such a tumultuous relationship with my dad too, And I think part of it is because they don't have their own fucking lives.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, if you just got a hobby that you were.
Speaker 2: Excited about, that you were passionate about, you wouldn't be criticizing me all damn day.
Speaker 1: And it's like, it's better for all of us if you got a hobby. Yeah, sometimes the hobby's fucking someone else.
Speaker 5: That is, you know, it's a rather time consuming.
Speaker 1: Sure hobby, and but that's great. It also worked out for me.
Speaker 4: Did you still and I hope this is a question is appropriate to ask, but like, were you still sleeping with your husband when you were sleeping with other people?
Speaker 5: No, that is a great question to ask because I think a lot of people assume that, like, oh, she's just you know, they have like a sexless marriage. No, we were definitely having sex and we still have great, great, Oh, that's so exciting. But I think, and I honestly think one of the big benefits, there are a few benefits to our sex life and it's not the only reason to do this. At first, he was like, he gets a little turned on by me being with other people.
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 2: Not.
Speaker 1: It's way convenient when you are, though, because you're like, I believe you, this is awesome. I believe you.
Speaker 5: And I'm just starting to like, like, I'm so, I don't know. Sometimes like the older I get, the more gen xy I feel, and I talk to younger women.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, wow, there are females.
Speaker 5: Who are like you know what I mean, Like I was, so, I so drank the kool aid of what women are like, you know. I feel like I discover something that I'm like, oh, you guys already know, like it's so cool. But my husband is that way.
Speaker 1: So that was fun.
Speaker 5: That was like, But but part of what happened at the beginning was that's not the way I am. And I started to want my sexual relationships outside the marriage.
Speaker 1: To be mine right and not be like I don't want yeah, how I am.
Speaker 2: I love things just for me and they feel like they have less value when other people know about them, which is why it was a terrible idea.
Speaker 5: You're like, my whole life has been drained of its meaning because I'm talking about that.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love because I'm not doing anything wrong, just because it feels so it just feels so sad.
Speaker 5: Another indication that you're like a really healthy human.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, just no things to yourself. Yeah, just love things to myself. It's very hard to be to grow well, it's very hard to be in the entertainment business when you've decided that the thing you value most is keeping things to yourself.
Speaker 1: But I might how I make my money is by not keeping it.
Speaker 5: There's a thing that my therapists talked to me about once called sponda. It's like I allegedly, I don't I haven't checked this out that it's like the it's Sanskrit and it's the root of the word spontaneous.
Speaker 1: Okay, But it's about.
Speaker 5: Keeping something within until it is ready to burst forth in some creative form.
Speaker 4: Oh maybe, And you might not even be exposing the thing with the creative form.
Speaker 1: It might be just be like an offshoot of the thing. Yeah, which is great.
Speaker 5: Transit it like kind of goes through its own metamorphosis.
Speaker 1: You're like a cocoon.
Speaker 5: You're just like, yeah, holding the things, letting bond and letting them become something creative. And maybe that's why you do what you do and your bonda is spontaneously combusting all over the place.
Speaker 1: I do sit with things for a long time, make sure they're ready. Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: If you can find out more information, please tell me. But I would think that there's some really important things about the sex between me and my husband. So one is, yeah, he gets off on it, but then I decided that's also for me. That was an important learning. The other thing is sometimes I learned through doing something with somebody else what I like, because we sometimes get two little nuts in our marriages, right, but not always do I want to do that thing with.
Speaker 1: Them, right, because different vibe.
Speaker 2: Every person you're sexually is a snow Every sexual pairing is a snowflake. I agree you're because somebody could bring something out of you that the guy doesn't bring that out of me or that out of them, but they bring it out of you, and I'm like, that's beautiful.
Speaker 5: But you can tell when they love it and the other person does it. It's partly the how much they love it.
Speaker 4: I love but yeah, you're like, oh, I love it because seeing a guy super super super aroused is so hot and it's kind of beautiful, like different things arouse different men.
Speaker 1: It's such a beautiful exactly all of us.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And then the third thing that I thought was a huge surprise was like he has like because we have different tastes, I no longer feel pressure to give him everything he wants.
Speaker 1: You have a joke about that. Oh, let's hear it.
Speaker 4: But the word don't you don't you talk about like the blow or no, you said that on the podcast, Like if I'm dating a guy and some girl wants to give him blow job, like yeah, please, I don't want.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I did a lot of comedians, so like they're on the road, and I always say, I'm a great I go. You can go on fucking the road and get as many blowjobs from as many women after shows as you want.
Speaker 1: And I don't think of it as a threat. I think of it as yeah, exactly not. It's for real, it's women helping women.
Speaker 5: Like my husband's into like shouting like you know, obscenities during sex yeah, it does, and some women get off on it and I do not right, it makes me like like it makes me cry, and that is a buzz kill like that. I like that, you know what I mean? Either, And he can tell him about to cry and I'm like, are you mad at me?
Speaker 3: He's like no, I'm not, come on, I know, and I'm like, oh, it's so funny. It's so sad, but like no, for a years, it's true, like you said to that's okay.
Speaker 1: He likes doing that. That's okay.
Speaker 5: And so now if he does it like we we like we can like it's okay now. But I don't have to feel bad. I don't have to change my boundary and I don't have to feel bad because he can do that to whatever else he wants. And I'm psyched about it. I'm like, yeah, we call her aunt.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you know what I mean. I must follow up to this. I love that. Actually up that is not far from the actual next book I read. I'm not going what it's gonna be about. Like, there's a term.
Speaker 5: There's a term for her metamores. Metamors. Your metamoor is your partner's partner.
Speaker 1: And I have never heard that one.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like a polyamory thing. And so your metamoor is your partner's partner. So I have a I have a whole story about what happened between when this book, from the moment, from about a month after this book ends through the end of twenty twenty that involve my boyfriend at the time's wife and my husband's girlfriend. And the thing is, and I mean I was. I was in a bad place with jealousy with my husband's girlfriend at that time, but I ended up learning and changing and evolving in ways I never would have imagined because of these two women. Wait, tell me more, Well, they're your greatest teachers. Who you think is your greatest enemy? Is your greatest teacher?
Speaker 1: Yes Buddhist?
Speaker 2: Yeah about your Yeah, you're like, you're grappling with jealous I get jealous, but I'm also a bit jealous.
Speaker 1: But yeah, mine's a little bad. Well it's not good.
Speaker 5: How bad?
Speaker 1: Well, because but I also do you mixed with your temper?
Speaker 4: I know, I know I've pushed a girl before, and I'm not proud of it because she's flirting with my boyfriend at.
Speaker 1: The time, and I was like, get what the fuck?
Speaker 4: But then I also masturbate, Like now I masturbate to my boyfriend having sex with other people.
Speaker 5: Oh so what interesting? Yeah, but I read a lot of rich terrain for you to explore.
Speaker 1: So I read a lot of Pema children.
Speaker 4: She reads a lot of books, and she talks about the things that fire you up, don't run away, don't lean in and breathe.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, one day, but I think the cuckolding thing is that.
Speaker 5: Yep, I think you're right because it's so hot.
Speaker 1: To think about. God damn. But if somebody tried to talk to my man, like, what the fuck? What are you doing? Interesting?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: People are weird.
Speaker 5: Yeah, people are weird. That's like, that's a great conclusion to draw, you know what I mean? It is true and I love it.
Speaker 1: So how do you do this? Go through this metamorphosis with your partners?
Speaker 5: Not very gracefully? So I was like, yeah, I was terrified of not being loved enough, you know what I mean? And so the story of More is really my discovery that I could love myself right fully and therefore not like require constant kind of reassurance that I was lovable.
Speaker 1: Oh shit together?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, But also I know, get you put a lot of things together. When this, it's kind of like you just kind of like enter the eye of the storm, Like you know what I mean, It's like, how many, how many tough relationships can I wheeld, you know, simultaneously and figure myself out.
Speaker 1: That's kind of the way it felt.
Speaker 5: But like the other thing I think I discovered once I fell in love with somebody else and I realized it did not make me love take away, I was like, what it made me love him more?
Speaker 2: Right, because he's allowing he wants you to feel love and you want him to feel love.
Speaker 1: And that's so close. What a bond that is?
Speaker 5: And yes, yes, And it was also like I was getting everything I needed.
Speaker 1: It made it.
Speaker 5: It put a it put a spotlight on the things that my husband gives me, you know what I mean, love this And I was getting the things that maybe I thought maybe he didn't do enough for me. I was either giving them to myself or getting them from someone else.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: And so all of a sudden, and then I was seeing also how his relationships were positively impacting me at the end of the day, Like the fact that there's a scene in the book when like he goes away with his girlfriend for the first time and she makes him fucking help her cook, and he was like, man, I realized, like I haven't been a very good like helper.
Speaker 1: Other women training him to be a better man. Yeah, yes, And I'm like okay.
Speaker 5: And he's also he's like fifty six years old, so yeah, and his girlfriend is like fourteen years younger.
Speaker 1: So that was like really helpful, interesting, really.
Speaker 5: Helpful because she was like, I'm not taking this shit, whereas I grew up with my dad doing that same stuff, so I needed like a And I was looking at the threat because she's younger, and I'm like, oh no, this younger woman. And I'm like, bring on the younger women because they are gonna they will.
Speaker 1: Not put shit.
Speaker 5: Yeah you know what I mean, And they will be a chorus telling you all the ways in which you need to change.
Speaker 1: It's great, this is totally changed my Okay. So I had this thought.
Speaker 4: I was at a party the other day talking to a good friend from high school and she has always wanted to have a baby with a non romantic person, either a friend or a gay guy.
Speaker 1: And I was great, that's always been my plan for a long time.
Speaker 2: I wanted a baby with a gay guy because we can both date other people and be super super happy for each other.
Speaker 1: There's never gonna be jealousy. I don't care. And we both love the kid so much. And my brother has a nephew has a son.
Speaker 4: So my nephew him and his baby mama are separated and they have other partners and they he gets his son half of the week.
Speaker 1: He's so excited to see the kid when he gets them.
Speaker 2: And then he gets a little break at it. And I'm like, Okay, that I think is the right plan. But if but this seems like it's more viable, Like it feels like it's more it is viable.
Speaker 1: Right right, I just didn't be done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we just got to open up these this idea of what a family is exactly. The nuclear family is crumbling, and I think that's a really good thing.
Speaker 5: I think we are seeing this everywhere. I think this is the next frontier and we're not. And it's not something to mourn the loss of. It's okay, it's just change. It's change, and it doesn't make me like and if you still want a little nuclear family, I still have one. Yeah, I have my husband and my sons and they are the people that like we. But I kind of joke sometimes it's like he is the only one who I will torture by bringing home for Christmas.
Speaker 1: You know what I like.
Speaker 5: So if I meet a guy like, I don't care what your mother is like because I might never meet.
Speaker 1: Meet her, And that's amazing, that's really good night.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But I also like my mother in law gave me this when she was dying and I and I yeah, and so like I wear this too because like we get to we get to still have those familial bonds, but we don't have to limit ourselves. It's like, yeah, the whole the whole thing just opens up with possibility if we just do things consciously instead of just a fault.
Speaker 4: And you and you stay with yourself through the uncomfortable feelings instead of just running away and reacting to them or whatever, like going off of those feelings of the uncomfortability of the feeling and just breathing through it and realizing, like, what's on the other side of that is something incredible.
Speaker 5: And that's what I had my mother telling me, and nobody that I know has had that, Like being second generation open, I think it.
Speaker 1: Was less about you don't really hear that much. Yeah, right.
Speaker 5: It was less about something genetic or in the water or whatever. I think it was a little bit about her friendship, but it was also about me calling her when I was going through a breakup or feeling horribly jealous and feeling like I think I'm scared, you know, I'm scared that I'm gonna blow up my marriage or I'm scared that something bad's gonna happen, and my mom saying like, oh, sweetheart, it's fine, Like wow, you know she understood. Oh yeah, your father and I would stay up all night talking.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: I remember all those you know, crying and I remember that feeling but like it'll be okay. It was her line, there will be more, there will be more, And I think I don't think she realized how much more she was telling me there would be. But that's my feeling. And when I when I came up with this title, I was like, Oh, that's it, and the book was already written. The word more is all throughout it. And it's often me remembering my mother saying that. But I feel like when we have models in our lives of someone who has gone through the ship and arrived at the other side, and she's still got my you know, she and my dad have been married for almost sixty years and they still have these beautiful relationships with other people. Really yes, I mean no, not not sexual anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they still like keep in touch. Yeah, they have like friendships.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Then that guy that I heard my mom laughing with, you know, was that my reading.
Speaker 1: There's this like myth I think we've been sold. When you're with somebody, you possess them or they belong to you. Yeah, this is not true.
Speaker 5: No, and it's and and we're we're trying, I think now to just stretch our our understanding of what's possible, you know. And the best way to stretch it is to is to look at other models and compare yourself. But oh, I know what you were saying about, like pushing through bad feelings. People say to me, this is a question I get on a lot of podcasts, like but if it was so hard, why did you keep going? And it's a good question, but it's like your gut, And we don't say that about anything else in life. We don't say it's hard. Kids are hard, like why didn't you give them?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: What I mean, right right, Well, I mean I said that, but I didn't have a kid after I said it, before I had a kid. And I think that's a question that's like a discussion that you know, we have a lot on this show, and I think people get down on us, you know, like we're anti kid and I'm like, no, it's just not a discussion that you really heard people having like twenty years ago, like you know, you were just like gonna have a kid. And I think it's really important to constantly talk about it up until.
Speaker 1: No asolutely have to.
Speaker 5: I also agree that like monogamy is hard, kids are hard. Right, Therefore, these are great reasons, great reasons to never get married and never have a kid because it's a specific kind of hard you might not want. But for some reason we think that these are still the right choices even though they're hard.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: But then, you know, you look at something that is non conventional and hard, and then suddenly it becomes don't do it.
Speaker 1: Don't do it if it's hard.
Speaker 5: Life is hard, human is hard, and if we don't like find a way to do the you know, the work around the hard feelings, you know, it's the goal.
Speaker 1: Might not be better for you.
Speaker 5: Yeah. The goal is not to avoid bad feelings at all costs, right, right, We have to in fact be evaluate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think well, because my question, yeah, my question when when you start talking about that, was was my next question was going to be, do you think it's harder to have an open marriage than a monogamous one? Because again I think we always we always hear these challenges of you know, ethical non monogamy, open marriage, et cetera, and we think, wow, this sounds difficult. But also as an unmarried person, when I hear about monogamous marriages, they also sound really difficult.
Speaker 1: Marriage is hard, I think, right, Yeah, relationships are.
Speaker 5: It's all hard, right, So I think, now my marriage feels so easy, breezy. There is There is so little that's hard with us now. But that's also you know, you earned it. Yeah, and we're healthy, you know what I mean. I also see my mother is Parkinson's and my dad takes care of her. That's hard, you know what I mean. But that's that's a different kind of hard.
Speaker 1: So you just don't know what's kind of hard. You're coming up with your third, fourth, fifth.
Speaker 5: Say I love it, I love it, but I do think that we have to be honest about the things that are hard in all of these all these different paths, because what I was seeing before I wrote this book, partly why I wrote it, was people saying, either, it's so it's impossible. You know, we tried it for like a month, you know. I like people were doing like experiments on like you know, like like a journalist being like, I tried non monogamy. This is why it didn't work, you know what I mean that kind of show was a guy yeah yeah, yeah. Or people were saying I think I was just born polyamorous and that wasn't my experience either.
Speaker 2: Those people, Yes, those people are really hard to take, really hard to take because they're full of shit and they don't know it yet.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, I'm just waiting for you to see it, dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I feel like, but you know what, I'll be honest, Like I won't name names, but like, I have been interviewed by some folks who are Polly who said who I had heard them say talking about just the great parts of polyamory, and then when we were talking about my book, they're like, so much of your experience spoke to me it's so hard, but I think there's pressure when you're doing something unconventional, like this is perfect and nothing's wrong with it, and I'm so happy because otherwise people are going to do what they've been saying to me, which is like, look at her, like she's just miserable. She was gas lit, and she was manipulated and she was you know. But I'm like, none of that is actually true. The whole truth is complicated, and so yeah, I wanted to tell my most honest, complicated version of what happened and why I'm still doing it, you know what I mean, But not as a manifesto, not as a how to, just like the story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're you're being constantly hubbled and grounded throughout the whole process.
Speaker 1: I'm also curious.
Speaker 2: This doesn't matter, but I'm just curious the kind of park slope mom that's.
Speaker 1: Like, do you have an egg skinner or something? Were they like that's a thing? Did you hear about Molly? Yeah, she's fucking around like did you was that a thing of gossip Girl? Yeah? So that's how I think.
Speaker 4: I mean, not that it matters, but I'm like, if that did happen, I wonder if they were like secretly jealous that you were getting d on the side and your husband was like, yes.
Speaker 5: Girl, yeah, I mean I had friends who were worried about me, you know what I mean, and they were yeah, they weren't wrong, like you got religay. Yeah, I mean some of it was worried that was grounded and some was not, you know what I mean. So some was like, are you like vetting.
Speaker 1: These guys before you got with them? And I was like, what do you mean?
Speaker 3: You know what?
Speaker 5: But I also don't spend a lot of time worried of being worried about like getting hit by a bus. I'm just like, you know what I mean, it's want to enjoy your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I I do think that over time I became like an experiment people watch, like I didn't get lasik surgery till my husband got it and didn't go blind, you know what I mean. And so partly I think, you know, if if my life had crashed and burned, I would be a cautionary tale, yes, But instead I feel like I'm giving a realistic view on like this, this is how things could go, you know what I mean, This is how hard it is, and this is you know, my EXPERI maybe it'll not go this way for you, but I feel like as people saw, oh she actually seems pretty happy, and like, oh I think they are still happily married too, and oh her kids aren't actually.
Speaker 1: Fucked up, Like oh, this is probably okay.
Speaker 5: But it took like they had to like see the fifteen year trajectory, you know, of like everybody's okay, right to believe me that it was gonna be okay.
Speaker 1: The truth doesn't mind being questioned, even for fifteen years.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Oh that's a good line.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 1: I love the Ah. So one of the self help books I read, I picked it up and I'm like, well, I'm never letting that one go. No, you should. People are super defensive. I'm like, truth doesn't mind being questioned.
Speaker 2: Ah, so good.
Speaker 1: Then they shut up, right, you caught him in a light, didn't even know. Yeah, silence, beautiful silence.
Speaker 5: Oh I'm gonna say that.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: People are like, is there anything we shouldn't talk about? I'll be like, truth doesn't mind being questioned.
Speaker 1: Oh I love it.
Speaker 5: It's like you can ask me anything, but I might not answer if it's somebody else's business.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's kind of where Drummond line totally, and I guess that we have one I can have time for one more. The last question I wanted to ask is is it do you Is there like a standout moment in your mind for the for your most like jealous moments.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love that question.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm specifically really fascinated by the feeling of jealousy.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's I think it's one of the toughest feelings to feel as a human and one that we often don't handle gracefully.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, nope.
Speaker 5: Well, it was like like the first time I had given my husband permission to sleep with someone else, I had already slept with someone else within our marriage or outside our marriage.
Speaker 1: That feel good, you get it first win when yeah, I'm on top, but then going on, yeah, you can do it too.
Speaker 5: And then the moment it was oh I see yeah, the moment that he like confirmed that it had happened.
Speaker 1: That was a really bad feeling. Did you ask?
Speaker 5: I did, yeah, because I was like, because he asked if he could, and I was like yes, And then I wanted to know if he did, And then I like, like, I practically like blacked out from like, Yeah, I mean it's I wrote about it in the book as best I could, like my memory of what that felt like. Sure it was Actually that part was cited in an Institute for Family Studies article, along with Reddit posts were being cited as reasons why non monogamy is a bad She's like even Molly rot in Winter wrote in her memoir that this is the way she felt when her like.
Speaker 1: Why people pair so much? What you're doing in your own marriage?
Speaker 5: And I'm like, how does an academic study citing a memoir and reddit you know, moment and.
Speaker 4: People get jealous when they're monogamous? Yes, probably a little bit more, Yes, that's wild.
Speaker 1: But did you ask for a photo of the woman?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: My god, I m at two times.
Speaker 5: I mean I've met I mean even you know, even when I've met women somewhat recently. It's kind of embarrassing to say, like, I still get these moments of like because the older I get this sounds terrible. It's not like his girlfriends are like younger, and he has one main one who's quite a bit younger, but his but like, I love her.
Speaker 2: But she like helps me, right, she says, I don't want to yeah, quite a bit younger is just so funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's funny.
Speaker 4: Well that's that's the other thing, Like if I if I open my relationship up and then he's just fucking dating a twenty one year old.
Speaker 1: Like what the fuck is this? I don't like that. Then moment you could.
Speaker 5: Date someone else who's also exactly thirty eight, somebody who's older. Though he has all he's like very equal opportunity. He dates for older women too, and I'm always like, that's a good joint. Yeah, he doesn't have like those I don't date guys by the way, who put on there if they go ten years younger on.
Speaker 1: Their like app, Yeah, can you tell very stranger?
Speaker 5: Look yeah they say it off an okay Cupid, it's a looking for Okay, he is only when I've used that's.
Speaker 1: A good one. Looking for eighteen to twenty two?
Speaker 5: Yeah, like that kind of shit. I'm like, oh no, even if you include your own age, but don't go up by the same amount you went down your most limature, I get grossed out by.
Speaker 1: That's what I mean.
Speaker 5: Max, Yeah, right, I guess you could be my age yet not a year younger. But if you're twelve years younger. Great, you know, like this is something underneath.
Speaker 1: It's a type that I don't like. You gotta go at least five years above your own age.
Speaker 5: Yea, at least yeah, at least I think unless you're like twenty, then that's not okay.
Speaker 1: Have you dated younger guy?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Is it all the rage that everybody says it is not too much younger?
Speaker 5: You know? I mean I think it also depends on the person this is gonna say. I think it's like I have this weird calculus that like younger plus not American is fine.
Speaker 1: I'm interesting. I see what you say. It It's like there's a windsdrem languages.
Speaker 5: If you're like a younger American and you're probably like.
Speaker 2: Right, well you and how you're the guy with the which is the largest young age gap fourteen years.
Speaker 5: Younger was the youngest tokay, and he was American and he was Yeah, it's like it's a that's but like, yeah, I updated very happily dated up to ten eleven years younger actually, but one and and you know what, there's one it's nine years younger who is American?
Speaker 1: Great? Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: So I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm as I'm talking to you, I'm realizing, like you know, my insecurities that I expressed that I would possibly feel if I were doing this. It is all.
Speaker 1: It all circles back to your own sense of self esteem.
Speaker 4: Yeah you know, yeah, because not being even worried about that is like a good a good indicator of good self esteem.
Speaker 1: But not to say that you should stop if you have like it's like what doot you'll be worried about?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Like they like, I'm not your favorite person. Oh oh oh, I thought you specifically with something.
Speaker 1: With a younger guy.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, but I think like I had a lot like we in America in particular, but maybe in the whole world think that aging women are less sexy, and we think that men are like like, oh, George Clooney is hot or whatever. If you're a gen xer, maybe yeah, you guys are I'm not but very handsome, okay, But like I, I then look at women who are not like like I. I I to dye my hair and I feel a little self conscious about it, but I will never get botox. But I'm like, why is it that I feel like I can't have gray hair? And I'm like, I don't know, I just look better. I don't know, just like yeah, but like why do we let men like we're so.
Speaker 1: Shitty male gaze?
Speaker 5: But I will say men that are like worth dating are super into older women in my experience, maybe just because like I'm an older woman to some of these men I'm dating, but they're like they're like, you know, almost like reverential in a way that's problematic, you know.
Speaker 1: Whoa like like they can't.
Speaker 5: Believe they're good luck, And I'm like, it's true, you know what I mean. However, I also need you to have you know. But it's like there's a range there are I I have loosened up a little bit on how I feel about my husband being with women that are younger. I don't feel as threatened by it because I'm starting to understand the value of age too, and that you get different things from different people. Yeah, right, And there are some great things about being with someone younger, and there are some great things about being with someone older.
Speaker 1: It's just different. Yeah, Wow, yeah, you're really doing it doing it.
Speaker 4: I'm trying thanks an honest account of a of a lifestyle that has a bad rep This is giving speaking truth to the ups and downs of it, I think is legitimizing it.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 2: I think it's also I think what what makes this more I don't want to say more interesting, but or like more real to me is like, you know you started this what two tho. The book starts with two thousand and eight, so it's like it's starting before there was like bistacles on BuzzFeed about like twenty two signs you're poly. Don't know exactly right, I just it's just so many people use Polly so loosely, and I'm like, this is an extremely complex lifestyle, and I just feel like you're using it very loosely when really it's a commitment for you have to put a lot of time.
Speaker 1: I'm like, you haven't even kind of mastered your girlfriend back. Yeah, yeah, right, they're right.
Speaker 5: There are people who are like e n M because they aren't good at any relationship, right, and then there are people who are n M because they're awesome at relationship.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And we always had this theory too, and dance outage that's the same thing.
Speaker 4: It's like, if you're gonna have like a beautiful, long term like poly relationship with somebody, it's also wise like be closed first, and like you and your husband have a foundation.
Speaker 1: That's like, I mean, that's that's you can't fuck with that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there are I Like I am dating someone now who has always been non monogamous and led with that like before he met his wife, and so that's worked for them.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly.
Speaker 5: So I'm always like all the rules I've had in my whole life, whether I get talked about them in the book or not, they always get shattered eventually.
Speaker 1: Rules are first, so we feel safe.
Speaker 5: But my one thing is like, this is just like truth. Everything's an opportunity to learn about yourself. So do whatever you're gonna do and just pay attention and try to learn something about yourself.
Speaker 1: Amazing, beautiful. I love it.
Speaker 5: Oh Wowause do you always applaud.
Speaker 1: I'm so flattered.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Well, pick up this book.
Speaker 2: We have it right here at the Beautiful Orange. More and More of Open Marriage by Molly Roden Winster. Guys, thank you so much for being on the show today. This has been Guys We Fucked, the anti slut cheaming podcast. We'll talk to you next Friday. Guys We Fucked is presented by Luminary created and hosted by Karn Fisher and Christina Hutchinson.
Speaker 1: Editing and music coordination by Mike Coscarelli. Theme song by Rob Patterson and Jake Cozen suck my wet ass pussy. Christina said to cut that before, but now it's in the air. Yeah, let's keep it. Who cares.
Speaker 2: That I can think about that?
Speaker 5: Cut out
Speaker 1: The color and much pre