Speaker 1: Welcome to Money Making Conversations.
Speaker 2: It's the show that she is the secrets of success experience firsthand by Marketing and Brandon expert Rashan McDonald. I will know he's giving me advice on many occasions. And in case you didn't notice, I'm not broke. You know he'll be interviewing celebrity CEOs, entrepreneurs and industry.
Speaker 1: Decision make because it's what he likes to do. It's what he likes to share.
Speaker 2: Now it's time to hear from my man, Rashan McDonald money Making Conversations.
Speaker 1: Here we go. Welcome back. I am Rashan McDonald, our host the weekly Money Making Conversation master Class show. The interviews and information is this that this show provides. I always says for everyone it's time to start reading other people's success stories and start living your own. My guests went from corporate sales to starting a pancake company called Ballows Pancake Mix in her kitchen. That's right in her kitchen. Please welco with the Money money Making Conversation master Class. The one and only Tiffany Neil. How are you doing, Tiffany?
Speaker 3: Hey, Rashan, I'm doing well. Thank you so much for having me?
Speaker 4: How are you pretty good?
Speaker 1: Am I exaggerating the whole concept? This old idea started in your kitchen at your home.
Speaker 3: Correct, it did, and we forgot to add the biscuits and the waffles in there, But I guess we'll get to that.
Speaker 1: We can get to that. You always want to jump on here? Can you just let it be my show, Tiffery. I know you have to successful with the pancake and now you're doing syrup, but can we just start with the kitchen. You started with a pancake. You just start with no biscuits, you start with noo waffles. You started with a pancake. Now tell us how I started?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that is correct. So it started in my kitchen in twenty twenty's when we initially started selling. The idea of the company came from me just always playing with ingredients, playing in the kitchen, using cleaner, better for you ingredients, which I just was under the impression that everybody was using the organic, unbleached this met right fully sourced, and I just I've always loved to cook. I made breakfast for a friend. They loved the pancakes for Brant and Raven, and I just thought that I was on to something at that point, and then I had this product that was great. I started getting feedback, just literally going outside selling the product, sending.
Speaker 1: For really blowing past some really key information. Somebody in your kitchen saw you making pancakes. It was just one person that inspired you, or a series of people when girl, these pancakes are good, you need to sell those. What really triggered that?
Speaker 3: What had wanted for some time to start a food company for whatever reason, it just was heavy on my heart that I wanted to do something in food. I've always had a passion for cooking, and it was just in that moment a light bulb went off when I made that breakfast and it just lit something in me. I got super obsessed with the idea. And then that was when I started putting the samples together and putting mock products together, setting them out to friends, family, knocking on doors in the neighborhood, going to markets wherever I could, just to start getting feedback to see if there was even something there. So once I got that feedback to your point, right, once other folks started to chime in, I knew that I had something. But then I didn't have a name for it.
Speaker 1: Now. Now this is this is the first time we spoken on my show. Two years ago. You came on my show and it was the early early stages of the start. Because where I found this was created. This relationship with Tiffany and Barlow's Pancake Mix was an ad. I just saw an ad on social media. I clicked it and found out she was an African American who entrepreneur who's based in Atlanta. I said, okay, let me give her a shot, and I ordered her product and that's how our relationship started, and it was pancake Mix. Now, how does one who has an idea because you were doing corporate sales, like you said, you didn't go to culinary school that you did you go to colon their school.
Speaker 3: I am not a professionally trained chef.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, Well, just letting everybody know that you can live your dreams and not have to be an award winning chef now have to appear on the Food Network or go to cold in their school. If you meet the right people and you set up correctly, how did you go about, you know, getting the ingredients into a packaging because the name of the company is Barlows. How did you come up with the name Barlows?
Speaker 3: So Barlow is my grandfather on my mom's side. So his name was Arthur Barlow Harris, and he was big into farming and agriculture for as long as I can remember. And we come from a family where there's ever been much that was passed down. He never passed on any of the legacy of the skill set of farming or any financial benefits. So it just clicked for me. You know, we were using better for you ingredient, organic and bleached flower, Himalayan salt, locally sourced ingredients when possible, and it just tied into a story that was bigger than just a mix, bigger than just another food product. And I thought having him tied to it would really be a differentiator, but also give us some type of legacy and something that we can continue and carry on in the family.
Speaker 1: So you really now that's what I'm saying. It went from you have a product, and then you went to branding named marketing. In the product development in your mind, you said, look, I got this great product. Let me find an angle, and then also I can market the angle. So if people interview you, you have this great story which is an authentic story to tell about what motivated you to do the pay cake, because there's a lot of competition out there, So your story separates you and makes you feel original, I'm assuming.
Speaker 3: Okay, correct, Absolutely, yeah, And there is a ton of competition in the food space in general. And when I think about it growing up, right, I remember going to cousin's homes or friends' homes and they loved their mom's cook in or they loved the family and I'm like, I don't want.
Speaker 4: To eat it.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, not only is there a lot of competition from a product standpoint, but tape buds are all over the place, right, Like, people have all different types of dietary restrictions or different palettes. So the fact that we've been able to create something that has gotten just great reviews across the board from so many different types of folks, from different backgrounds and demographics has been awesome.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it's really a This is the nervous part of the relationship, you know, because you put one hundred percent. You decided you're a very successful corporate salesperson, and you decided to invest in something that I'm sure a lot of people went you know, some Tiffany, this is good, but I think you've lost your mind because they just go in stores and they see the competition and they're trying to figure out how you can even compete. How did you overcome people doubting your dream?
Speaker 3: Well, you're correct, right, there are the folks that say you're going to do what? So a lot of this was done and it was just done right. So I'm a big believer a being private to where it's not to a detriment, right, you want to make sure that you get the feedback that you need. But the feedback that I really wanted was potential customers. Right, who's my target market? That's the feedback and the build are the surveys that I want it as far as you know, just opinions, I think that sometimes you have to kind of just show folks, you know, this is what I'm doing. And once we started to get traction and people were reporting on the product, we've won several awards for Products of the year, best tasting. Once we started to get features and feedback, I think any naysayers that that pretty much was turning folks around or making people see us in a different light.
Speaker 1: You know, it's really interesting when you have a dream, you know, because of the fact they just started with a dream. Actually it started just in the kitchen, just making food and in this pancake mix which is now a three in one mix. It is called ball those pancake mixed three and one correct, which is biscuits, pancakes and waffle where you can make with this same mix, which is I think is rather incredible. Now when you look at the whole product that you're putting out there two years ago and now what has amazed you the most? Because we all dream because we know two years from now I have you back on the shore, it's going to be a different story. But is it been the hard work? Has it been the frustration? Has it been levels of like, ah, I'm just done, this is not gonna work. What has what has motivated you to keep you going the two years since I've last.
Speaker 3: Interviewed you, I would say, d all the above. Look, all those folks ever said it wasn't going to work. Now I have to prove them wrong. But no, seriously, it's just I believe in alignment. I don't believe in coincidences, and I think that we are where we're supposed to be. I think that there is a need, there's a shift that's happening, and there it's a growing space amongst black leaders in the CpG or consumer packaged food industry, and I just think this is the time to do it. I'm also motivated by leaving something behind, right I mentioned before, not being able to have the skill sets or any financial benefit or asset passed on from those that came before me. So just being able to have, you know, something that's tangible that can be passed on, that can inspire others after me to go for whatever it is that they believe in would be my primary motivators. You know. I just I believe that I want an assignment to make this thing work. So that's what motivates me the most.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's get really serious about being an entrepreneur. You know how many hours a day do you give to your business on a daily basis?
Speaker 3: Forty five? Listen, it doesn't stop, like, it does not.
Speaker 1: They're only twenty four hours now, you say forty five? Your two days and an hour a day?
Speaker 3: No, seriously, no, Like we're looking at twelve hour days some days.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: I don't think that it's talked about enough that it is hard work, very very hard work. I was fortunate enough to come from a career previously where I was probably working just about if not that right, So there was definitely a purpose in training there. But it's difficult. And I think that with social media and with entrepreneurship, there's a lot of glitz and glam that's shown. And I wish folks to start telling the truth more because there are days where I mean you're literally rolling in the days. Sometimes you don't know what day it is, you don't know what time it is. It is a lot of work, but it's all worth it, we.
Speaker 1: Know, because one of the things that when I you know, setting yourself up with success, when you transitioning into becoming a business owner, now you like you said, you're a forty hour person. I just want people to hear this, and I appreciate you honesty, because a lot of people come on here they kind of skip stem and then people think, oh, it's that easy. No, no, no, I'm not saying it's hard, but there are things that you're going to do. You're going to cry in this process. You're going to be frustrated, you're gonna look at your dream and go, Okay, this is not going to work, and you're gonna turn for help and nobody's gonna be there to help you. And because they don't understand, they don't understand a dream and it is your dream. And so when you have dealing with your dream, you have to give beyond forty five hours a day. You have to give beyond. You know, I'm tired. You have to give beyond. You have to figure out that some days you won't even have the money to buy your dream, and you know it's be on prayer. And so when you made that transition and you're saying that, hey, this is going to work and you're on QVC, because in that little two year span you've been on QVC, did you think that was a defining moment? Girl, I'm on QVC. I'm going to make it.
Speaker 3: You know idea QUBC was a It was great, right, I mean, you were there, you've been You've been on this journey with me and so grateful for that. So QBC was huge. Definitely thought it was a notch right if anything, But I mean it gets so tough and you and I have talked about this and you have to have a balance, you know, I think some folks they don't believe in like passion projects. They think you just need to be in business to make money, and I think you know you do not think. I know, you need to be in business and you need to be making money, but you have to have something that is more, that's bigger than you, right, that's bigger than money, because if the money is not coming in, if your employees aren't coming in, right, if you're having supply chain issues, because things are going to happen, there has to be something more concrete that's going to keep you focused and keep you in the game. But because if you're just in it for money, right, or you're just in it for for the QCs or the press, it's going to be really easy to drop out because to your point, there are going to be tough times. This has definitely been a roller poster, but again all worth it. But I just you know, I wish that there was more more realistic stories being told about what we really go through as business owners.
Speaker 1: Cool, let's talk about where is your product available in the state of Georgia to buy.
Speaker 3: So, of course you can buy Barlows on Barlowsfoods dot Com and we ship all over the US and we are available. So when I came on your show, what was that about a little over two years ago, we were just starting out and we weren't about maybe like ten stores, I want to say a handful of stores, if y'all are in Georgia and Atlanta, for how A Farmer's Market was one of the biggest grocery stores that we were in at the time, and since then we've grown to two hundred stores, to two hundred locations where you can buy the product. So go to our website Barlowsfoods dot com and you can just go to the findest button or drop down and you can see a list of locations. And I am super excited to announce. This is my first time announcing this. But as of now today, well it's getting kind of late, right, but this week we are now available in fresh Market, which is a huge regional reteller in Georgia and the State of Georgia, so our products are on the shelves. Super excited about that, and it's just been a dream come true and a wonderful partnership that we're just looking to continue to build that relationship.
Speaker 1: Fresh Market in the State of Georgia that's where the pancake product called Barlows can be available. When we come back and speak more with Tiffany Neil, We're going to find out how did you get on the chef, you know, because I want to break down each one of her journey moment because they are important, because I think that this is kind of like Annie's conversation about you can be successful, but there are some steps that a lot of people don't see.
Speaker 3: The end.
Speaker 1: It's almost saying, you know, you see people win the Oscar, but you don't understand how they got to win the oscar. You're gonna you're hearing basically, she's in fresh Market right now. That's kind of like an emy. Right now. She still want to get the Oscar, the Golden Globe to Tony. She wants to get the Egott, which means that she wants to be everywhere, but right now fresh Market. We come back, we'll hear the journey about getting into that store. Also, how does she go from pancake to waffle to biscuits with the same mix. Be right back with more Money Making Conversation Masterclass.
Speaker 5: We'll be right back with more Money Making Conversations Masterclass with Rashaan McDonald. Welcome back to the Money Making Conversations Masterclass hosted by Rashaan McDonald. Money Making Conversations Masterclass continues online at Moneymakingconversations dot com and follow money Making Conversations Class on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Speaker 1: Hi there, welcome back to Money Making Conversation mastic class because we are talking money Making Conversations with Tiffany Neil. It's just a product called Ballows Pancake Mix. It's a three to one product, a mix where you can do pancakes with that same mix, you can do biscuits with the same mix, and you can do waffles. When you say that to people, how do they react?
Speaker 3: People really aren't surprised. It's been a game changer. So as you know, when we initially launched, we launched it as a pancake mix, but you can do so many different things with it. And when we tell that to folks, they get really excited about it. Nowadays, people want the most bang for their boats, So the fact that they have one package where they can do multiple different things for breakfast but also breakfast, lunch, and dinner. People are super excited about it.
Speaker 1: So you said multiple things, Please tell us some of the things that outside of pancaked waffles and biscuits that you can do with this mix.
Speaker 3: So cly data collaboration where we did some chicken and dumplings, right, So a lot of good Southern staples. If you're into frying food, I don't fry that often, but if you wanted to use it as a batter to do like your fried chicken, fried green tomatoes, you can definitely do things of that nature. Anything across the board. Write pastrys. I've done Vignet's with the mix. I've done cookies with the mix. So a lot of different things that you can make with the product, and you can find a ton of recipes on our website at Barlowsfoods dot com.
Speaker 1: Cool we have James here. James, he's calling in. I want to ask a question. Welcome to Money Making Conversation master Class. You're speaking to the host, Rasha McDonald's Wells, the owner of Borlows Pancake Mixed, Tiffaniniel. What's your question?
Speaker 4: Hey two for me? How you doing?
Speaker 3: Hey, James, I'm doing well. How are you? Thanks for calling? Good? Good?
Speaker 4: I was wondering when you're going to have another customer appreciation gathering. I was at my wife and I were at your event, what maybe two years ago, and when you're going to do that again, thank.
Speaker 3: You so much, Thank you for supporting. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: So before you get started, what is a customer appreciation gathering? Help me out with that. Educate me now, because James, James is calling in he wants another one. It must be some free food being given out.
Speaker 4: Man, you can imagined everybody there was a customer who has had the mix right, the pancake mix right, and it was like it was you know, you know, post COVID, and everybody was I mean all creeds and all colors, every people from all aspects of life, and we were all there to celebrate Barno's mix. It was incredible.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you so much. And see, James, this is what it's about, right, Like it may seem simple on the surface it's a pancake mix or it's a product or syrup, but this is what it's about, bringing people together and creating memories. So I really love that and thank you so much for your support. But I literally was thinking about gathering today. So typically we do those late summer, early fall and hopefully we'll be doing that this year, you know, if everything is open and we're able, you know, to access things freely. So definitely, if you are not on our email listening here.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you something. I'm saying you leave, James, I gonna be a problem. Okay. What you cannot do is come back on my show. James. Here this He's had a gathering and you know nothing about it.
Speaker 3: James, you're definitely invited.
Speaker 1: Well, well, can you just tell us exactly what goes on at the event, because because that's important because of the fact that you are you know, you're still trying to get there, but you still take the time to say thank you to the people who are supporting you along the way. That's what James trying to let everybody know about you, because there's an appreciation you give and have for people who are supporting you. That it's about the money, but it's not all about but it's even more about the thank you, And that's what you do to the customers who support you. Tell us about the event, had lays out and what's all available as far as food options.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely so it varies food options. However, the last one that we had We had a brunch, so it was all of our customers direct to business as well as our direct to consumer customers. They were invited out. We just got to have We had a card table, we had a photo booth, we had music, just a lot of fun. It was hosted at a winery downtown in Atlanta. So any way that we can say thank you, because literally there are so many options out there and for folks to take the time or their money to spend it with Barlows, we're forever grateful and we just want to make sure that our customers steel appreciated because seriously, without y'all, you know, I literally be making pancakes in my kitchen. So I appreciate you so much. James, I can remember that.
Speaker 1: James was themand and I think that you need to hear that because sometimes we do work and you know, you know, sales tell you that you have a product, but guess what, there's never enough sales. Believe me, you always want to you sell five bags, you want ten bags. But you're doing more than pancake mix with the pancake mixed than waffles, biscuits and pancakes. Now you have syrup, which is award winning serruf. How did you get in the syrup business?
Speaker 3: So the power of the pivot. Syrups were never a part of the plan. I tell people that all the time. So when we started, we would do pop ups, and I believe I was doing a pop up over look on the West side of Atlanta and it was kind of last minute. I needed something to sample the pancakes with and there were some peaches on the counter. So I'm like, well, listen, you know I need to get creative really quick. I wasn't going to use, you know, artificial syrup to sample our product or really big on ingredients. So I whipped up what is now known as our Peach Cover syrup, and everyone loved the pancakes, but they kept asking, can't I purchase the syrup, And, you know, an entrepreneur fashion, I said, of course, you can purchase the syrup and figure out how to do.
Speaker 1: But you didn't have the serruf though, you didn't have a serrup, so you oversow yourself. But you found out the demand made you do it correct.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, we were forced into it, and that syrup has been a game changer. It's put us on the map. We were the flavor of Georgia Product of the Year winter last year and just featured in Gardening Gun during the holiday season. Those people love it, and now we I mean, we've always wanted to support local farmers, but now every season we are introducing something new when it comes to syrups. The peaches on the menu moving forward, right, it's always available now because of the large interest in it. But we are doing strawberry blueberry. Those are coming up late spring, early summer, and we just want to keep it rolling it. They've had a great eight, great feedback, so super excited about those.
Speaker 1: You know, it's really great. She's a dreamer. She's a person who's living her dream. She was making pancake in her kitchen. Somebody told hers, oh, there's some great pancake. She didn't just stop there. She heard WHOA just some great pancake a couple more times, then three more times. Thence she probably talked to her mom and a mom goes go for a girl, go for a girl. And then she put it with this concept called ballows, and we made it authentic, haves a brand tied to it, making it health conscious pancake Nix, and now she she's syrup stumbled upon it. Now it's an award winning syrup, peach cobbler syrup. Right are you only do you only have peach cobbler syrup or you have other syrup options?
Speaker 3: We have other options. So we have a line of seven. We have a traditional pure maple syrup that is the only one that we do not make in house because we import it from Canada. So we believe in real, true ingredients, no fake stuff, no additives, low sugar, so the maples imported. We also have a blueberry lemon, a strawberry bourbon, wee potato in the fall, in a gingerbread around the holiday season. But everything is made in house from real ingredients, and we sorce and support local farmers whenever we can.
Speaker 1: Well, we know James is a fan, so we got to build more fans. So where now your product? When you came on the show, it was ten in two thousand. Did the QVC thought that was going to blow you up? Now you're two hundred stores. You just made a major announcement that what store are you in now in your state of Georgia?
Speaker 3: Yes, so Barlow's food is now available in the fresh market, So make sure that y'all head over to fresh Market and ask them where is the Barlow because we need to put that in our pantries, we need to put that in the car and we need to get it on the table. So super excited about that.
Speaker 1: Now, if they want to serve, they have to go online for that. Only the pancake mix is available in the store where right now, fresh Market is your biggest and most prominent placement so far, But all other location that you can get it. But the syrup is only available online. What is the what is the name of that website? Again?
Speaker 3: So all items can be found on Barlowsfoods dot com and syrups are available in stores. We'll be rolling those out shortly, so just stay tuned. But we plan to have the full product line available in the fresh Market.
Speaker 1: And your story was amazing and it will continue again. I am an advocate of what you do because you're doing your following your dreams, and congratulations on just continue to grow. I know how hard you work, and thank you for allowing me to tell your story on Money Making Conversations, Magic Lane and good luck, Tiffany Neil.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. I appreciate it and I appreciate you always. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I want to thank everybody who listens to the show every week. This was just two great interviews today that told different stories, but each story is about she gets mentored. The first episode of the show was about mentorship. The second episode was mentship being applied personally. Please enjoy the shows that you hear. You can always hear me at Moneymakingconversation dot com. If you missed it, Thank you.
Speaker 5: Thank you for joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Money Making Conversations Masterclass with rough Shan McDonald is produced by thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight to fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight fifteen media dot com. And always remember to lead with your gifts.