Speaker 1: Pushkin.
Speaker 2: This is talk Easy. I'm stand Fragoso. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: Today.
Speaker 2: I'm joined by actor Kyle McLaughlin. Forty years ago this week, McLaughlin made his on screen debut in Dune. It was an adaptation of the beloved nineteen sixty five sci fi novel written by Frank Herbert and brought to the screen by director David Lynch. The film was a box office bomb, but has since become something of a cult classic. It also, more importantly marked the beginning of a fruitful collaboration between Lynch and McLaughlin, including Blue Velvet and Twin Peaks, both of which we discuss at length in this episode. In recent years, McLaughlin has continued to make inspired and surprising choices, leaning into comedy in shows like Sex and the City and Portlandia, or criminally underseen films like Steven Zoderberg's High Flying Bird and Greg Mottola's Confessed Fletch. His willingness to experiment and to remain curious is one of his great gifts. I think it's a gift that's also on full display in his latest project, Varnum Down. It's not a film, although it probably will be one day, but instead a podcast hosted by McLaughlin and journalist Joshua Davis. I could explain the show, but why don't we let them take it over for a second. Here's a little bit from the trailer of the new show Varnum Down.
Speaker 3: Okay, Kyle, tell me what you know about the connection between Ario Speedwagon, the super band from the seventies and eighties, and Pablo Escobar, the drug kingpin.
Speaker 1: Well, sometime in the early eighties, Ario Speedwagon's airplane made an unannounced middle of the night landing.
Speaker 3: This is my friend Kyle McLaughlin, the star of Twin Peaks, and he's telling me about how he discovered a real life Twin Peaks in rural North Carolina, not far from where he filmed Blue Velvet.
Speaker 1: What was on the plane was copious amounts of drugs coming in from South America. Supposedly, Pablo Escobar went looking for other spots, quiet, out of the way places to bring in his cocaine.
Speaker 3: Okay, hold on, you're saying that a town of three hundred people en mass did a deal with Pablo Escobar.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's what I heard.
Speaker 2: In promoting this new show of his. He's become something of a sudden Internet sensation, taking to Instagram and TikTok, where his team of what I assume are very very young people have immersed them in the worlds of Lord and Lana del Rey, taking part in trends that I definitely don't understand, but that my sister insists are very cool. And so we do discuss this new viral fame towards the end of this conversation, But to start, we talk about this new podcast of his and the small town in North Carolina where Pablo Escobar Brokeer to Deal. I think ultimately this show is born out of Kyle's love of small towns, especially coming of age in Yakoma, Washington, which of course would then later be repurposed in the hit show Twin Peaks. And so with that, I hope you enjoy this very fun, sometimes silly, sometimes serious conversation with actor and now podcaster Kyle McLaughlin. This is kind of a loaded question to ask you, but how's your coffee?
Speaker 1: This coffee? Yeah, it's quite good, actually, is it? Yeah? But my taste level in terms of coffee varies with the situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of a daunting question to ask.
Speaker 1: I am sort of known for my coffee prowess. Yes, I guess yeah.
Speaker 2: I think everyone on the team was nervous about satisfying your highest.
Speaker 1: High Yeah, my high standards not that high. In fact, I got to say, you know, when you when you work on a set, you kind of whatever coffee is there is what you what you go with. Korig was a big one when we were doing the Twin Peaks return. I can't remember what we did in the original what it was, but I can even work with diner coffee in New York.
Speaker 2: When you're out at a place, do people have to ask you how? Oh is it?
Speaker 1: They want to hear me? See it's this is damn fine.
Speaker 2: Now we can start the show. Yeah, good Kyle McGlaughlin, Sam, welcome.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: How are you doing.
Speaker 1: I'm really good. Thank you for asking. I'm very happy to be here.
Speaker 2: It is a joy to have you here. And for the last couple of years you yourself, have been making this new podcast of yours. Yes, and it's now out. It's called Varmintown. I thought we just start here because you'd heard the story that would become this show a few years back. And it's my understanding that you upon hearing the story, called up your future co host Joshua Davis, who's an excellent investigative reporter in his own right, and I'm wondering on that phone call to him, how did you explain the story that would become Varnumtown.
Speaker 1: I gave him the highlights, and josh is, as you said, he's an incredible investigative reporter and he has a terrific sense of story. And he heard eighties Pablo Escobar town and coastal North Carolina. Small town. You couldn't even call it a town of three hundred people a community, really, And I said, what do you think? And he said, I think there's something here. I think this is an interesting story. And I asked, I said, you know, I recognize that, I said, but I don't do what you do. You're an investigative journalist. You go and you know how to ask the questions. You know, you're almost like a like an a prosecuting attorney, you know what I mean. He goes in with a very clear idea of kind of where he's trying to go, and I'm kind of like, hey, so tell me about you know, did you ever do any cocaine when you were in Varnumtown, I would have the I would ask the wrong questions.
Speaker 2: Lead question for our listeners who maybe haven't heard the show yet. Yeah, how would you explain this podcast.
Speaker 1: Josh David, we're speaking about it myself. We decided to create a story within a story. So Varnhumtown, small community, coastal North Carolina.
Speaker 2: This is back in the eighties.
Speaker 1: Back in the eighties was a became one of the top smuggling ports for drugs coming out of South America, specifically drugs coming from the cartel of Pablo Escobar. So Josh and I went down and we decided what we're going to do is do a little interview session with the people that were involved. So we took six days to speak to the people that were there, and we got their stories and we put them together, and then we put together a journey based upon those interviews. So it's Josh and I trying to figure out what really happened based on the interviews that we did.
Speaker 2: So back in the eighties, there was this town of about three hundred people. Like you said, at that point, Escobar and the cartel had been smuggling drugs into ports in Miami.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 2: But soon realized that they were just too heavily trafficked. There were too many cops, and they wanted to find a kind of sleepy Twin Peaks like town, Yes, where they could go sort of more undercover.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was the perfect setting because there was there's no one around. Farnhamtown is very isolated. It sits on a series of waterways right in coastal North Carolina. When you think of a backwater town, this is what it is.
Speaker 2: And the community thought, what of this? You found business fans.
Speaker 1: Well, the central figure in this is a guy named Dale Varnum, and he made the deal and began this process of importing illegally importing these substances, which grew quickly. There are multiple substances, multiple substances. You have marijuana, primarily marijuana, cocaine queludes, who were also a big deal back then, and those were being smuggled in.
Speaker 2: The rest of the base. I don't know that they exist anymore.
Speaker 1: They I don't know what happened.
Speaker 2: Did you ever try those?
Speaker 1: No? No, I'm not much of a you know, I feel like eighties back then, you never I know when the opportunity was right, I know, I didn't really I didn't really.
Speaker 2: I was born in ninety four, so I think they were gone by that.
Speaker 1: You're completely innocent, innocent by birth. Tell me them.
Speaker 2: The main figure is this man named Dale Dale Varnam.
Speaker 1: This is what we had gleaned from our conversations with the person down there who had first broken the story to me. The Dale was kind of the kingpin. As we got through the journey of interviewing everyone, we realized that the story was much more complicated than that, and Dale, while he was an important part of it, was maybe not the central figure that we had thought he was. So soon you had small freighters coming up the coast loaded with contraband that would be offloaded into the port of Varnumtown and then trucked from there across country.
Speaker 2: And did a new sort of more affluent community rise up because of this?
Speaker 1: Not really, It was so out of the way. People weren't They weren't aware of the people of the community were making lots of money very quickly.
Speaker 2: And they were okay with how they made that money.
Speaker 1: There are certainly people that did not agree with what was happening, and we spoke with them and during the interviews, which was an interesting perspective. We spoke with everyone from law enforcement to the smugglers to the people who were opposed, So we covered a pretty good, pretty good range, but there were definitely people who were opposed to what was happening, did not agree with what was happening. But you've got to imagine this depressed community. Shrimping was the main industry that was on hard times. There was no money coming in, no way to make a buck, you know, and here was this huge opportunity and people said, hey, I can support my family, I can you know, I can make my life a little easier, you know by doing this. And you know, was it no harm, no fouls what they were thinking.
Speaker 2: So when you and Josh had the North Carolina to make this podcast, you're knocking door to door and I'm curious, I'm curious about you. You're a pro to that, Like would you go to the door and say, like, hi, you may recognize me as Agent.
Speaker 1: Cooper from such roles as that.
Speaker 2: Was also a show set in a small town much like yours. Yes, what was your pitch in this like journalistic pursuit?
Speaker 1: We were thankfully we didn't have to go door to door necessarily. The woman again who the name is Lynn Betts, was written a book in fact about this. She was in contact with most of the people and had remained in contact because of the book that she written about this with most of the people that we were interested in speaking with. So she was very helpful in setting up the interviews and sort of clearing the way for us. And we sat with the different people, you know, over the course of these five or six days doing you know, our many hours of interviews, which Josh I will say led most of them. I chimed in now and then with the you know, the odd question. But I got to say most of the people that we spoke with were very willing to speak. It wasn't like we were trying to grill them or get something out of them that they didn't want to share. So they were all there to talk about this and was really the questions were really more about the specifics of what we needed to know to move the story forward.
Speaker 2: Now that you've done it and now that the show's coming out, Yeah, what do you make of the story big picture? How have you come to understand it more intimately?
Speaker 1: I think there was a real sense of that there was something that was positive about it in that particularly the character of the role of Dale Dale Varnum. I think he felt like he was really doing the community as service and helping.
Speaker 2: Do you believe that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that was part of his I think there was a genuine need to wanting to help the community.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's also you got to remember this was a depressed community in the eighties, not much excitement if you can imagine going on. So the idea that there was this big smuggling operation coming through, people were involved, lots of money was being dished out. I mean, that's kind of and during the days of Miami Vice, right, so this is you know, they were like, hey, you know, you have an audition for that, were like Miami Vice. I never did. I would have liked to audition for that because it was remember, always the supporting role was always like a real juicy. In fact, it was one of the first shows on television where actors coming from film would do a guest star because it was Yeah.
Speaker 2: In Colombo, Peter Falk, some of the finest.
Speaker 1: I know, when were you born?
Speaker 2: You said, somewhere between nineteen forty four and nineteen ninety four, it.
Speaker 1: Was gonna say, you know, Colombo I'm impressed you're going back.
Speaker 2: Well, we're gonna go back a little bit further. Okay, Okay. You were born in Yakima, Washington, and I think maybe part of the reason this small town in North Carolina and its residents entrusted you with this story is because you yourself came of age in a small town. That was also the reason when you met Thevid Lynch for the first time auditioning for Doune, that he kind of saw something in you and he felt a kinship with you, and in part because of that small town he did. But I want to go back to a little before you audition for.
Speaker 1: Doune, which is that you're going to say before I was born. I have your whole family chart, right, yeah, Oh, dear, Now I'm nervous before you work on Dune and David Lynch and make your debut, I want to stay with North Carolina for a second because I think it's there after your freshman year of college in the summer of nineteen seventy eight at the Flat Rock Playhouse in a production called Look Homeward Angel, that your ideas around acting seem to be kind of transformed.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 1: It's very good research on your part, and you are one hundred percent correct. My journey into acting was not one where I I really knew what I wanted. I knew that I was good at it, but I didn't really know how do you go about it?
Speaker 2: You had done a little bit in high school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, high school, I'd done that. My mom had helped sort of propel me into that. I think she saw that there was a talent in there. I loved doing the high school musicals and plays, but the next step was college, and I was really lost my first year of college and ended up going back home, dropping out my last semester of my first year and working to make some money. And the idea was I was going to go to this Summerstock Really Theater company, and while I was there as an apprentice, I was cast as a lead role in Lacomord Angel, which was the chestnut that they did every year at Flat Rock Playhouse. Thomas Wolfe was the original author. He was born in Asheville, and audiences loved it, so I was cast. I had my first real professional acting experience. I had a wonderful director named Earl Wentz, who pretty much talked me through the whole thing, and that was the summer of seventy eight, and I went back again in the summer of seventy nine did the role again, had a very meaningful relationship, one of my first early relationships with an actress, and it was a magical summer and really set me on my path. And I returned to school with a new direction, with a new desire to really to train as an actor.
Speaker 2: A new sense of purpose. It was you said once, it was like the whole world blew apart. It felt so comfortable. It was like I was gradually learning that it was okay to be imperfect.
Speaker 1: That's a pretty big statement.
Speaker 2: It's a big statement. Sounds like the rat from the eldest son of a family that looked to that son to be close to perfect.
Speaker 1: It was a family where there were expectations, that's for sure, but it was also a family that had a tremendous allowance when you think about it. My dad was a stockbroker, my mom was She studied as a school teacher and then she was in public relations. Then she got back into the educational world for the school system. So this is what they know. They have three sons, all three of us pursued careers in the arts for at least a period of time. So I went into the acting thing pretty early on. My middle brother, Craig, was a musician for a number of years. My youngest brother was also an actor, and then they moved on to other things. But our parents were allowing that to happen, which was pretty special.
Speaker 2: When you go back to college and you finish up your time over there, what about acting made sense to you? What about it excited you enough to say, all right, I think I need to do this.
Speaker 1: You know, I was inspired by some of what I saw that school, and nothing more than the reaction of like, I want to do that. It was a visceral reaction, very visceral. There was a training program at the University of Washington at the time, professional Actors Training, that was very intense, very specialized training, acting training. In fact, you got to do I got to BFA in acting. And these were actors that were trained for repertory theater. So all day was spent doing some aspect of what you might do as an actor, not as a set designer or as a lighting person, but as only acting. I was a horrible student, and what sense I just I couldn't do any of the exercises right. It took a while to sort of tame me and bring me and to understand why these things were important. It was a lot to do with emotions, and those were things that I was not comfortable with.
Speaker 2: And why was that?
Speaker 1: I think it was just maybe expectations you said earlier, you know, as you know perfect the kind of things like that, or that these were not things you necessarily were going to show. It was much more comfortable with funny comedy, you know, fun stuff. Some of the more dark and difficult and emotional experiences or scenes, if you will, or those even those just emotions I was not really comfortable with.
Speaker 2: So then you take your aversion to dark and difficult emotions and decide, you know what I should do is work with David Lynch.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: On my first film, you're a little bit out of college, you're twenty three, twenty four years old. You fly to Los Angeles for an audition and what would become this forty million dollar film in Dune. But I want to hold that day that you audition for a second. You touch down Nelly X in the afternoon, you're taken to the Universal lot and you're told to wait as David Lynch finishes his late lunch of coffee and chocolate milkshakes at Bob's Big Boy across the street. It's where he went to lunch almost every day, always a late lunch, always opting for the coffee and chocolate milkshakes. Have had a heart attack by day three of that experience. As you're sitting there waiting, right, I was wondering what images in this moment first come to mind, Like what do you remember seeing and what do you remember feeling in that moment.
Speaker 1: The backlot Bungalows is where I had been taken was. I didn't know that that's what they were, but this is where they were prepping for Dune. They were small, had a certain kind of smell because they'd been around for a long time.
Speaker 2: What kind of you know?
Speaker 1: It was kind of a musty old smell. You know, you walk into a place. I mean, the carpet was was new and everything, but it was an old, old construction.
Speaker 2: Because it is an audio medium, so you need to need to add description.
Speaker 1: Very good. It was a dark and stormy night. We go now we know you're a podcast, And I sat and I thought to myself, David's coming, and everyone was like, David's coming. I was like, I wonder what he's like, you know, have no idea. Yeah, I'd seen eraser Head and I thought this is an unusual film. I said, I have no idea.
Speaker 2: That's what I thought. That's a well adjusted man.
Speaker 1: Someone you want to spend some time with in a dark room. And I remember seeing they said, oh, he's here, He's here. He comes in and is sort of a hey, how you doing, very friendly, kind of feels like a Midwestern kind of sensibility. Great to see it. Yeah, he has kind of a kind of a little bit of a twang, kind of a nasal thing like this, and sit down and really made me feel comfortable and very personable. And we sat in a room and I remember it was it was not a I mean it was kind of a desk chair, not much going on as you would imagine in a in those because they're temporary, these facilities, and we just sat and we talked, not about Dune. We talked about where you grew up, you know, and what it was like. And we turns out we shared the Pacific Northwest. There's a location for he's from Missoula, grew up in Missoula and some of the other cities around that area. As dad was in the Forest Service. I grew up in Yakama. We you know, we talked about that. I talked about spending time up at Priest Lake when I was a little kid with my grandparents, and he recognized that. He said, ohyeah, knew about that. So we found these common links. And at the end of the conversation, he said, here's the script to Doune. And he handed me a very thick script, my first ever film script that i'd seen. It's like wow, And he said he learned these scenes here and they had been marked up, and we'll screen test, and you know, come back in about four or five days and we'll screen test. And I said, sounds great. So I went back to Seattle and I learned the scenes, came back down five days later and screen tested. Very nervous.
Speaker 2: How did you work through those nerves?
Speaker 1: I think I was ready, you know, I'd graduated, spent three years in training, very intense training, kind of launched into the world. I worked at the Shakespeare Festival right out of school. I was doing a play in Seattle. I'd had some success, and I was on my way and I think there was a sense of confidence that was there that overrode the nerves, and I couldn't believe on nice all the people were that I was surrounded by. You know, they had they had hair and makeup. I never had hair and makeup done. This is something you did in the theater yourself. They had the costume for you, the wardrobe stuff, and I was like, this is amazing. And we were I remember we were working at John Dyster Studio Apage Studio, which is where they had the screen test and had the scenes down cold, and I knew kind of what to do, and he just told me to do you know, stand here, do this kind of like laid it out for me. I'd never got in front of a camera before. I had to do one speech, in particular straight to the camera. That was a tough one. That's where I sort of lost my focus. And David came in and said, you got this. He just said, you know you're gonna be okay. Just you know, take your time, it's all right, You're doing great, you know, just a very simple words of encouragement that I took the heart and finished the scene and I went back to my hotel. The Beverly Garland Holiday Inn, and there was a bottle of wine on my table, and David had sent that bottle over as a gesture of goodwill, thank you, and kind of I think you you know, I hope this works out.
Speaker 2: Your description of the beginning of your career sounds very serene. Yeah, sort of easy going. The making of the movie. Was it as easy going as that?
Speaker 1: Well, it was an adventure, yes, it was an in Mexico. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I guess what I'm trying to get at is like when you're on the set of your first movie and it's this big enterprise and you're the lead of it and Sting is in it.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Interesting choice now that the film is like celebrating its fortieth anniversary this year. Yeah, I'm just wondering, did you know when you were making it that things were not going perhaps as planned.
Speaker 1: I didn't have anything to based on compare.
Speaker 2: It to R Did it seemed normal?
Speaker 1: It seemed normal to me in a weird way. It seemed extravagant and it was spectacular to look at the sets that we were working in were complete rooms. It wasn't like a fake, you know, breakaway.
Speaker 2: Stuff, tons of extras.
Speaker 1: Tons of extras. Costumes were insanely meticulous and beautiful, and some of them were rather uncomfortable. But I just and I love the people I was working with. I got, you know, Patrick Stewart, Everett McGill, Jurgen proc Now, maxwn Sido, Francesca Annis, I mean, Sean Young, on and on people were It was like we were having a great, great time making this. I was having a great time making this.
Speaker 2: So come nineteen eighty four when the film comes out, you're in Washington, d C. For the premiere, Right, you bring your two brothers, your stepsister, and you're two parents, both of whom had remarried I think at that point. Yeah, they also brought their new spouses. Yeah, okay, So this is what I'm trying to understand. I'm trying to imagine. You're sitting in the theater this film comes on. Are you watching your mother's reaction the whole time?
Speaker 1: Part of the time, I was certainly aware of it, but it was me seeing the film too for the first time.
Speaker 2: So what was your family's reaction to the movie? And then how do you remember that night in the crowd's reaction to the film.
Speaker 1: It was surreal, It is a good word to us, I think because it did feel out of and I was definitely out of body. In addition to my family, it also invited a couple of my good friends as well who were there, so I had an entourage, huge entourage. Everyone within my group seemed to really enjoy it, had a good time. I don't know how much they understood. I think they were just kind of overwhelmed, honestly. So the experience that night was wonderful and people had a great time. Everything was and your mom liked it. My mom liked it. I think she was just so proud. My mom was one of those very proud moms, and that she had encouraged me initially to get into the theater and initially to help her out because she was sort of managing this teen theater company, the musical side of the teenage theater group, and she needed people to come. And so we were drafted, my brothers and I were drafted. But I really enjoyed it. I didn't think I was gonna enjoy it. I resisted, but then I said, no, this is actually really fun and socially, socially a good time, you know. So she set it in motion.
Speaker 2: So the seed. She planted kind of camp.
Speaker 1: It did, and suddenly she sees this, what's happening? And I think it was overwhelming for her, and I think she was just so proud.
Speaker 2: When the film opened. You said once that David and I went into a sort of tail spin in nineteen eighty five. What did that look like?
Speaker 1: Well, so Dune premiered in December of eighty four, and I remember we had the premiere and everything was great. I all went back home Christmas at home in Yakama, and shortly after Christmas, the intention was we were going to go shoot Blue Velvet because David had given me the script to Blue Velvet. We were going to start on that in January. Well, I got a call that said the film has been put on hold. Dune. No one really said that. Dune wasn't doing very well. It wasn't doing very well, but I wasn't really paying attention. I was focused on the next thing. I just remember getting the call for some reason in my dad's office. I don't know why they called me there, but I had a manager at that time. They called and said, I think you better come down, and you know, we got to sort of get going here on the next thing, because there was nothing.
Speaker 2: How did you feel on that?
Speaker 1: I was like, okay, I said, sounds like another adventure. I was really up for it. And I said, well, well, so I packed up my stuff, I got into my jeep, and I drove to Los Angeles and found an apartment. I had an agent already, and I had a manager who was working at a lawyer, and so I was like, all right, we'll just we'll figure out this outa I had a whole team in place. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But when you say tail spin, did that look like? Well?
Speaker 1: I think it was because we were trying to do We were going to go shoot Blue Velvet, and they not got canceled and so David David suffered as well. So he had, you know, everything all lined up to go and then suddenly it's not going. So it's like we got to figure this out because Dune got severely damaged by the critics. It was it was not pretty, and so it was really about finding finding the new direction. And we didn't start Blue Velvet until I think August of that year. I think that's what it was. It.
Speaker 2: So my understanding is based on all the interviews you did at that time, and you did a lot. You've described the time as a dark, dark period. The way you're talking about it now doesn't sound that dark, but at the time, that's how you described it. To hear you basically start your career and rapidly ascend and then to quickly descend, what did that feel like? What did that look like?
Speaker 1: I think I just because I know what you're saying, I'm kind of surprised at my response as well. I think part of it was just naivete As I look back on it, I just I knew that I was not aware of the significance of that that that kind of response from the industry is something very difficult to come back from because you were given his golden opportunity and it failed tremendously, and all the hopes and the expectations that you might have, or even from people that are thinking, hey, there's a you know, that's why I had five Dune options and three non Dune options. As Dino says, I'm going to make this get a star and we're going to now we're going to use that you know what I mean, and we're going to put him in all these doing all these things that didn't happen. Thankfully. Actually, at the end of the day, I was lucky.
Speaker 2: Why is that?
Speaker 1: Well, it was just, you know, everything had been negotiated to pre neegotiated, not that it couldn't have been changed, but I didn't have that much choice in what I was going to end up having to do, whatever that was going to be. I was looking forward to doing more Dunes. I mean, I love the book growing up. This is a huge had a huge influence on my life when I was a kid. But Blue Velvet. When I read the script that David gave me while we were filming Dune, I was really enchanted with it. I really there was something about it that I felt connected to somehow, or I understood the journey. It was interesting, was something you could I could really you know, playing Paul the Traydees is a challenge because so much of it is internal. And here was Jeffrey Beaumont going through these experiences and I said, oh, this is kind of something that I can relate to. I understand what might happen with the character.
Speaker 2: Someone having some trouble accessing emotions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But at the same time, it was that was part of the journey for me because he does get to the point where a breaking point. Yeah, and that was a it was it was a breaking point for the character. Was also sort of a breakthrough point for me in an odd way because it required this emotional reactionless response. And David, again coming back to David was very, very generous and helpful, gentle through the process and allowed me the time and space to be able to do that scene. You know, it help help me, help me sort of get through that.
Speaker 2: What were you working for?
Speaker 1: I think it was just the idea of that kind of exposure, that kind of like vulnerability. Honestly, I think in that moment in an environment that is not necessarily you're surrounded by people, the cameras there, there's a clock ticking, there's an expectation this is going to happen at a certain point in time in the scene, and that stuff will make you know, it makes you freeze up. It makes me freeze up, gets me tighten tighten up is a good word. But again, David was generous and kind with the time and the allowance and everything, and I was very I was like.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've rewatched the film recently and what is striking to may in part because of the research Is that why you're making this film. It seems to me that you were grappling with this divorce that your parents had had not that long before, right, and your mother who was very sick at the time. I think she had ovarian cancer, Is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: That seems like a whole lot to hold on top of the charged, unsettling world of Blue Velvet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a lot going on, I mean in terms of the divorce that happened in uh, your senior year of high school, yeah, seventy seven, and it was something.
Speaker 2: We all deal with things, usually in.
Speaker 1: A different way, I know, it's true, and especially if you're if you're young and somewhat self absorbed, as I was. I don't have that young and self absorbed in the research. It's but at the same time, I think my brothers and I recognized that our mom wasn't wasn't working with my dad, and she had found someone that she would felt very to and we were happy for her. At the same time, we know it was difficult from my father of course, and we sort of would try to be there for him as well.
Speaker 2: Well. There's so much more than what meets the eye in both Blue Velvet and Twin Peaks and in your new podcast, obviously there's this tension and turmoil bubbling underneath the surface, with you at the center playing characters that have been described as quote Dudley do rights with dark closets and their souls, decent guys with time shares in the nether world. I like that, and I was wondering, I don't know, like, especially in the aftermath of your mother's passing, because she never got to see this film.
Speaker 1: Bitch, she never saw blue velvet. She never got to see a blue Velvet's probably a blessing. Although I do I give her credit. I think she would have come away understanding what David was trying to do. It's a difficult journey.
Speaker 2: It's a difficult journey and a difficult film even now talking about. But do you think you were especially attuned to these projects, to playing characters with friendly exteriors complicated interiors, because you yourself moved through the world as that eager to please model child, the person that you said was not comfortable with the emotions. Yeah, at Summer Stock.
Speaker 1: Yeah. See. The thing is, I don't feel that I was that different than most of the people that were around me. My peers.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 1: You know, certainly in school, you know, these are things that you wrestled with, and I just chose to not deal with them when I was in school and chose other you know, I would do a left turn on something, was like, oh that's not I'm not going to go in. I'm not going to go there, you know what I mean. I remember one in particular, there was we were meant to do an emotional scene in our voice class where we wrote our own thing, a story of some kind of personal story. And I certainly had a lot that I could have talked with, but I was always worried or concerned or afraid that it would either explode or I was just afraid of what the what might come out. Let's just say that, you know. And I said, I don't want to see that or show that, or have people see that. I was like, I don't think so, so I show. I would always do a comedy thing and you know, sort of dance out of it that way, and the teacher was always like shaking her head, like you did not do the exercise, and I don't know if I can pass you in this course. But I finally did. I finally did what and you.
Speaker 2: Do kind of explode towards the end of Blue Velvet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he has such a journey, that character, and he has the forces that are working on him that both Dennis Opera character Frank and Isabella Rousseolne his Dorothy that it was more about me reacting to what they were doing than anything else.
Speaker 2: After the break, we talked about Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks, the Return, and a whole lot more. That's all coming up next with Kyle McLaughlin in terms of getting back to that that love you felt in North Carolina in summerstock acting for the first time in a real professional setting, going I need to do this. That visceral feeling was Blue Velvet or Twin Peaks the kind of first time you got to feel that on a film set.
Speaker 1: No, you know, I feltated on everything. I think what I love still love is the it's almost an investigative process with a character and that kind of exploration discovery of what this person is and how they fit within the world that they are of the story. That is always something that It's something I think that was what I loved, even though maybe I didn't really understand what it was in the very beginning. It was that process of becoming another person, of creating another reality that I really really liked.
Speaker 2: So what was that process like for Agent Cooper late eighties, early nineties making Twin Peaks? What does that look like?
Speaker 1: It is a lot of joy, a lot of fun, Just great pleasure in exploring some of the things that he relishes as a character, whether it's fir trees or coffee or cherry pie, and kind of embracing the quirkiness of that as well well, just turn a phrase or an observation or you know, something he gets excited about, and finding the letter under the fingernail, you know with the Tweezers, you know, the kind of stuff like that, having a mystery, having a secret, and then also working with David. It was simply that the pleasure of that and the joy of seeing him smile or laugh, you know, that felt to me like we're onto something here.
Speaker 2: When you mentioned those like investigative elements that you were talking about and making the character. Is that process different for each role and for that one in particular? What did that look like to you?
Speaker 1: And it is different, But the journey is the journey is different, but the process is the same. So it's really about using the script as a blueprint and then bringing in your own who I am and my thoughts and feelings about it. And then you have another layer, which is the working component with the other person and what that dynamic is and how that changes and morphs as you go through a scene.
Speaker 2: And did your relationship with David Chang by that point, I know he only did the first couple episodes, but having made Doune then Blue Velvet, Yeah here, yeah, YouTube, both probably changed as artists in that time.
Speaker 1: I think, Yes. I think the impact of the structure of episodic television like that on network television was one that I think we both didn't anticipate having such a strong influence. And well, I think it was. It was creatively not that fulfilling. Honestly, the expectations that were that are in place, that that exists for a reason. You know, you've got to move the story forward, you have to satisfy your your audience. And I don't think that's something that David thinks about. He's creating something that works for him when he does his work, and so I think having to answer to other people something that he just was not into at all that was challenging.
Speaker 2: You've said multiple times that you were frustrated that he made the show and that he left, and then you were kind of there to continue making.
Speaker 1: Trying to yeah, trying to hold it together. But I at the same I mean, from this perspective, I understand this is not who he is as an artist, and twin peaks, I don't know if in their minds it really was meant to be more than what it was. I mean, I think this. I think the idea of a of an ongoing story was really appealing to David. But it was a story that would have had so many branches and variety, and it wasn't really about solving the murder ever. Really it was about that about the journey of these interesting, quirky, eccentric characters.
Speaker 2: You said at some point the show wasn't creatively satisfying to him. Did you also come to a point where it wasn't what you wanted creatively as an artist? As an actor, I felt like.
Speaker 1: That the role of Cooper over the course of time became less and less. I kind of got watered down a little bit. Part of that my own mistakes, and well, when we meet him, you know, he's so identifiable in the black suit and everything, and then there wasn't There was a movement to try to get him to become more localized, so they had different outfits for him. He would become more more part of the community, and it was an interesting idea. I think in hindsight, I think it was a mistake. I think having him in that black suit, as you know, as the outsider, would have been a stronger, stronger choice, different I think, but he was less and less engaged and became more and more about talking about what was happening as opposed to being involved in the actual process.
Speaker 2: When the show doesn't. We've read a few quotes you've had, and there's really one that has stuck with me that I just want to hold because you said, you know, I'm talking about the conditions of making work. I don't do well with manic energy around me, and I used to say that you had to have that to be a good actor. Well, did you learned that before, during, or after you made Showgirls?
Speaker 1: Oh? I remember saying the manic energy part. But I do like a focus and kind of a set that is there's a sense of calm about it. Everyone was working in a different way. There's a sense of fun that people should. You should enjoy being there what you're doing, regardless of how I mean. Sometimes the scenes are not going to be that enjoyable, but you should be able to. It should be an enjoyable experience. I think it should breathe. It's got to breathe.
Speaker 2: But was there a period in your life where you felt like the way to be a good actor is to have a lot of drama around me?
Speaker 1: There is something to be said for the creating the environment. The tone of the tone of the environment that you're shooting is should match the tone of what's happening in the script, you know what I mean? For the story. That's helpful And was that true on Show Girls? Most of my stuff in show World was was were two person scenes. There were some stuff that were or there were two persons focused was me and Elizabeth a lot of the time. Sometimes, Gina, I haven't.
Speaker 2: Seen the film in a long time. I just really watched it.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen it in a long time myself.
Speaker 2: Stuff. I would look at Pools the same light again.
Speaker 1: I know. I thank god they heeded it, because you know, you spend a lot of time in the water after four or five hours. Yeah, I don't care how warm the pool is. Your body is cold and you're starting. Your energy is going. That part which I don't know how the camera guys did. I mean, they're in it for the whole time.
Speaker 2: Was the experience of of the that film's release.
Speaker 1: Similar to the release, it was another huge disaster. They screened the film for me the day before we were meant to do the press work on it, and I was suddenly I got sick for that for the press working cop But sadly, sadly, I came down with something there.
Speaker 2: Coffee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like bad, bad coffee, yeah, pre covid actually, but the film was Yeah, it was pretty much. I think we swept the Razzies that year, I'm sure, or if we didn't, we should have. There's so much camp in it to use that word, and the only way you can really successfully do that is if you're absolutely serious in what you're creating in the moment, what you definitely say it to be, which I was. We were all very committed. So when you see it and it's completely kind of over the top, no one's winking, you know what I mean, We're all like, yes, and we're going all the way, and that's what creates this sort of successful campy movie. That's me.
Speaker 2: Now, did you close your eyes during your own sex scene?
Speaker 1: I was working really hard to try to keep Elizabeth from falling off my lap, to be quite honest. So it was exhausting, and I felt bad for her because she was almost drowning in the sequence. It was not pretty.
Speaker 2: I think that film, whatever the criticisms are, I think you're commitment in that film, and then really and everything else that was to come is maybe your greatest gift as an actor. You are committed. Yes, whether it's Sex and the City right or Portlandia or the Return of Twin Peaks, you are committed. Yeah, through the two thousands and you're making all this work. You've likened your acting process to quote, a pot of simmering water on the stove when you wake up on the morning. When you wake up on the morning and you have to shoot that day, yeah, how do you work yourself into an emotional state?
Speaker 1: Depends on what I need to do for the day, right, But if it's a scene that is it's going to require some release that kind of thing. I think there's a you know, the pot simmering metaphor is sort of you know, you want to keep the at least I do. I want to keep what's happening in me, whatever the if there are memories that I have, or if it's a sense of openness that I resisted so much when I was younger, you're alreadly working on trying to keep the channels open and available.
Speaker 2: When did that change for you? Oh?
Speaker 1: I think as as imateured, I think again started working more. I realized. But that's how to do it, That's how what worked for me, to excavate memories. Yeah, yeah, you know all of all the actors tools, you know, whether it's sense, memory, things you talk about. It gets to the point where imagination plays a big part of it. Music helps even you know, at a certain point in time, just the reality of the scene or the moment of the scene or what's coming off the other actor can also have that kind of impact if you're open to it and allow it.
Speaker 2: Do you believe when actors say that acting can be therapeutic? Do you think that's true or do you think therapy can be therapeutic?
Speaker 1: Yeah, therapies there can be therapeutic. You know, you're you're pulling from yourself. A lot of of what you do the character is written, but you're you're trying to find places where where the connection is. And if I don't have those kind of connections, and I'll look in myself, or I'll try to figure out what is happening with the character and maybe have empathy with something, that would be You've got to find a way to connect with the character. I don't know if it's therapy so much as sort of acknowledgment of something or like, oh, you know, I didn't know that was in me. You know, I didn't know. I didn't know I could I could do that.
Speaker 2: You know. When we began talking today, we went through this small town that's at the heart of your show, Yeah, which many people have described as a real life Twin Peaks in North Carolina, And I was thinking about from nineteen ninety four till about twenty fifteen. Reporters and fans but always ask you, when are you and David Lynch going to work together again? And something you'd say about the role of Agent Cooper is that quote with that character, a really dark ink was used. I think it needs to fade out a little more until we can come back together.
Speaker 1: Well, I sound very poetic. It's fun because some of the quotes are like I'm remember saying that at all. But then you sort of work. The writer did a nice job, right, He made me sound sort of like a writer inside your own house, semi smart. I don't know by the time you and Lynch made twin Peaks of Return, did you think that dark Ink had sufficiently faded? Like what needed to happen right for the two of you to come back together. I mean, I think it was pretty It was pretty simple. I think it was the fans, honestly, that kept reminding us that in the original you had said see you in twenty five years, and so they were like, well, you know, come on, make it happen, make it. So there was that. There was also I think Mark Frost and David Lynch were at a place where working together was a possibility. They both all the projects and things that they've been doing sort of came to bear on this. But I think more than anything, it was the idea. David talks about having the idea, and he needed he needs to have an idea that then grows. I think he had one that was working until something a seed was planted and it started to grow and it kept growing. I know he always had. He always loved Twin Peaks. He loves the world of Twin Peaks, and I think but the only way he would want it to go back is if he could do it in his own way. I was nervous. I mean, I knew that Cooper would emerge, and I said, Cooper is going to be whoever he is who me after twenty five years, So that's going to be. That'll be what it's going to be.
Speaker 2: I said, who were you? Twenty five years later?
Speaker 1: You know he's he still has the enthusiasm. There's a sense of boyishness about him. And this is both both. You know, we don't know when the coffee runs out. And the role of Dougie was was that took a lot of courage because he was so deadpan, and I was like, I don't know if this is going to work. But the challenge, the most challenging was the role of Beav a Cooper or the doppelganger mister C. I said to David, I think at one point, I don't know if I can pull this off. Maybe I didn't say that because I didn't want to make him nervous. But I said, I have to or we don't have a We don't have serious.
Speaker 2: What did you not think you could pull on?
Speaker 1: Well, he's just he's very you know, he's a psychopath, you know what I mean. And he doesn't care. I am fancy myself an empathic person, you know what I mean. It's like, you know, I like to engage like care. I want to know what people are being feeling and want to make sure that they're okay. So someone like you said earlier, if it's not to please necessarily, but it's at least to be available to people. He's not Missussy is not. And I said, okay, I got to go in and find that. And it was really challenging and satisfying in a way, and it was a character that I really enjoyed taking off. At the end of the day when I got out of the suit and stuff, I was like, okay, you know, I can come back. But it was definitely it was definitely a change that low boil you talk about of keeping that energy when I was playing Msischi character. That was definitely there.
Speaker 2: Are you happy with the work?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I am?
Speaker 2: Or is that generally true? Is that that something that's hard for you to like. Is it hard for you to enjoy or think or say, you know, actually, I am proud of this one.
Speaker 1: It is hard for me to say that most of the time, even though I think it. It's like, ah, you know, it's also that perfectionist thing where it's like there was still there's still a room. Don't rest on this, just keep you know, they eld the sun's streaks that it will halt me for the rest of my life.
Speaker 2: Your father was a tough Uh. He was a tough one to play. It wasn't he was critical.
Speaker 1: He was critical. I didn't think that he was that critical until until years after he had passed. And I don't know why I never really discover like a diary entry. No, I guess I ready diary. No, I just remember moments that I would somehow, I mean, they affected me, you know what I mean. But but I wouldn't let them really affect me.
Speaker 2: You're big on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't like to be manipulated or affected, you know, in a way, and which is as an actor not a good things. You have to allow that to happen. And then but he would also I got to say in his defense, he would he was also that was pretty good. He would say that that's a pretty good job there. He was a pretty fair critic, tough critic.
Speaker 2: You learned that year's later, why yeah, well, you.
Speaker 1: Know, I would think back, you know, on things that he would say. I remember my first vintage of my wine, you know, when I in two thousand and five and he came to taste taste it. And he tasted and you know, three months in the barrel or six months, even six months in the barrel is not tasting like wine. It's tasting kind of funky. And he said, you know, we say, are you sure this is going to be any good? You know, it's like, I don't know. That's what the winemaker says it's supposed to be. But he was also very present. He was definitely like engaged as a father, right, which is very cool. And the same thing with my son. If my son comes to me and says, hey, dad, Dad, I'm gonna come out, can you come out and video me skateboarding? I could be in the middle of something and I'm not going to drop what I'm doing. I'm like, let's go. We went surfing the other day and he had his whole plan because he didn't have to be to school till eleven thirty, So we were up at five forty five in the morning. Yeah, off we went, and he surfed a pretty intense, pretty narrowly spot off pch and I was there videoing him and doing it and really really enjoying it, loved it.
Speaker 2: You have been enjoying a whole lot of videos I've seen recently of you on TikTok. Yes, I think your son is the sort of final arborter. I think you called them of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have to check in with him and now and then just to say, hey, listen, am I ruining your riz in school? And he said no, no, no, it's okay, Dad, I'm fine.
Speaker 2: That's how you phrased the question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because that's I speak like that now you do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've completely transformed as an actor.
Speaker 1: Does Yes, you must change, we must roll the punches and change with the times.
Speaker 2: But do you think being a viral TikTok star is the role of a lifetime for it?
Speaker 1: I am sort of enjoying this new notoriety. It will, I'm sure, disappeared just as quickly as it came up, as we all do as we all do. It just seems to I'm working with some very very obviously some very clever people, but I'm enjoying the process too. It's definitely a collaborative experience, and we're having.
Speaker 2: Fun and thinking about your career in a sort of more big picture way.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: People have called up David Lynch many times for profiles of yours as a kind of reference. And I always say, why do you gravitate towards Kyle? Over and over and over again, And he has basically the same quote, some variations, but it's basically the same one. And he says, Kyle plays innocence who are interested in the mysteries of life. He's the person you trust enough to go into the strange world with. And I just love that description. And I wonder, as you know, soon to be sixty five, Yes, if you're still interested in exploring the mysteries of life through your work in the years to come, but that's something you still want to do, however challenging or complex or dark the world may be. Is that something that I do? Do you still want to be.
Speaker 1: The gateway I do? And I think part of the fun of this looking back over forty plus years. Is that that journey pursuing those mysteries changes because I'm now not twenty three, and so what I'm interested in and where i want to go and what I'm curious about completely different, yes, than when I was that age.
Speaker 2: The best analogy I can find to what you do as an actor comes from this cartoon perfect that I think you really like. And I was wondering if you could take a look at it, yeah, and explain it to the listeners and see if it means anything to you.
Speaker 1: This is like a mysterious and you can see an old man with a cane taking a curtain call and the crowd is going crazy. Next you see him backstage pulling off the old man costume and you see he's a strapping young guy. In the last frame, you see him at home pulling off the young man mask and he's actually the old man with a cane. I think that's pretty brilliant. I love that. There is something that I about acting that I think is important to me, which is I don't have to agree with everything the character does. I don't have to, but I have to understand why they do what they do. I have to understand where it comes from and I think if you understand that, or make an attempt to understand that, you are all people, you know what I mean, we are all we're all connected as people. But it's like you can make that journey between the old man and the young man and back again because you are all of those things. Somehow that's important to me.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's been pretty much your life's work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, crazy, and I still love doing it. Sam, thank you so very much.
Speaker 2: We took the strained scene it round.
Speaker 1: I like this route because it's in both of our own words and it's not an article written that would modify it. Right. So this is, you know, for better or worse. This is this is an expression of this moment, which I think is great.
Speaker 2: So this will be Kyle McLaughlin in his own words, parentheses and some of Sam's, a.
Speaker 1: Lot of Sam great questions probing. I feel like I've been on the couch now for an.
Speaker 2: Hour and you know what, it's a consultation. It will be for don't worry.
Speaker 1: That's the best. The coffee was certainly worthwhile. Damn fine, damn fine, Calm McLaughlin a pleasure, thanks to And that's our show.
Speaker 2: If you enjoy today's episode, be sure to leave us five stars on Spotify, Apple, wherever you do your podcast. Then, if you want to go above and beyond sharing the program with a friend, posting it on social media, if you can attack us at talk easypod. Really, all of this insures that we can continue doing this work each and every Sunday. I want to give a special thanks this week to Kira Posey, the team at podcast one, Spotify, and our guest Kyle McLauchlin. Kyle's new true crime podcast, Barnumtown, is available wherever you are listening to this. If you'd like to learn more about the show or any of the films we talked about in today's episode, visit our show notes at talk easypod dot com for more episodes. I'd recommend Laura Dern, Willem Dafoe, the Lee Gladstone, and Steven Soderberg to hear those and more. Pushkin Podcast listen on Apple, Spotify, or wherever you like to listen. You can also follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, at talk easypod. If you want to purchase one of our mugs at Come and Cream or Navy, or our vinyl record with Fran Liebowitz. You can do so at talk easypod dot com, slash shop, want to drop me a lot? Write us at SF at talk easypod dot com. Talk Easy is produced by Caroline Reebok. Our executive producer is Jenni sa Bravo. Our associate producer is Caitlin Dryden. Today's talk was edited by Kitlyn Dryden and mixed by Andrew Vastola, who was taped at Spotify Studios in downtown Los Angeles. Our music is by Dylan Peck. Our illustrations are by Tricias Chenoy. Research assistance from Sharia aaron Ke, Graphics by Ethan Senca. I also want to thank Pushkin Industries, Justin Richmond, Julia Barton, John Schnars, Kerrie Brody, Eric Sandler, Jorna McMillan, Tara Machado, Justin Lang, Sarah Nix, Malcolm Gladwell, Greta Cohen, and Jacob Weisberg. I'm San Fragoso. Thank you for listening to Talk Easy. I'll see you back here next week with a new episode. Until then, stay safe and so long.
Speaker 3: H