Speaker 1: This is the most dramatic podcast ever and iHeartRadio podcast. Chris Harrison Lauren z Ema coming to you from the home office in Austin, Texas. We open up the playbook as we step back today in Bachelor Lore, Elsie. We got a comment from one of our listeners about a particular moment in Bachelor history, and this went viral the other day online and it was actually really funny. So I will give you a first hand, professional re enactment of this dramatic moment. When I walked into the room to announce to the ladies that they would be traveling, and again, they're tired, They're ready to go. They know this announcement is coming. And I walk in and I say, ladies, it's time to pack up the first stop on this amazing journey that will take us around the world. Now I'm going to pause for a second because now they're on the edge of their seats. They are anticipating the greatest announcement ever. Australia, Asia, Africa, Europe. Where are we going that will take us around the world. We'll begin in a city full of art, culture and rock and roll. Peter is going to meet you in Cleveland, and that is when the penny dropped.
Speaker 2: I remember that. That was Peter Weber pilot Pete season and yeah, you were coming in to tell them, was it about their first trip?
Speaker 1: That was the first trip? You know, it's time, you know, at episode three or four whatever when we would always leave and you know, it got so commonplace too that you know, everybody knew when they were going and all that, and they.
Speaker 2: Were except you mean, like people had watched the show and then they'd come on, so they knew, oh, he's going to come in and announce that. Now, yeah, they knew the formula.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they you know, that was the one it was. It's so funny because in the days and episodes leading up to that, when I go wake them up in the morning, and you really are waking them up early. We've been up previously the night before at the Rose ceremony till probably a few hours before I come back in, and so everybody's really tired, and you know, the producers are trying to pump everybody up, and everyone's bleary eyed, and you know, we're like, hey, can y'all look you know, somewhat alive. It's going to be on HDTV soon. And so that was then you'd come in and they were actually excited because you know, you're going to go somewhere cool.
Speaker 2: But this was to Cleveland, Ohio. No shame to Cleveland, Ohio, but it's not BALI, right.
Speaker 1: And so we I got there that morning, and you know, typically we would work with the boards of Tourism, Chamber of Commerce, wherever, you know, one of the governments around, you know, if you went to a different country, and there were certain things that they would want said. And obviously our goal is to make it seem romantic and exciting and pump up the volume and all this. And I got there that morning and we're all really tired, and we've been doing this for twenty years. It was just like wanh wanh wanh.
Speaker 2: But like you had to know what the reaction to Cleveland was going to be.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. I was worried because I'm like, what they're gonna They're gonna come at me like angry villagers. They were, you know, I was totally scared of what was about to happen. And uh I because I knew it was just going to go off so dead. What they didn't show, I don't think unless it was a blooper on that episode. But I did a fake take when I said we were going to Maui. You fake them out or honolu, I said something I think. I said we're going to Hawaii and they went nuts.
Speaker 2: I said, so when you say fake take, you mean you lied to them first.
Speaker 1: And I said, I'm just kidding, We're going to Cleveland.
Speaker 2: They're like, what, So why did you tell them Hawaii?
Speaker 1: Because I needed that reaction?
Speaker 2: Oh, because you thought they'll put this reaction shot in later one hundred people will actually make it look like these women are cheering for Cleveland, Ohio. Yes, had you guys done that before? Because that now feels familiar to me. I feel like there were other seasons where I watched, because Cleveland wasn't the first so so destination. Yes, I could be wrong, but I feel like there were other seasons where I watched and that reaction, the reaction was big to an okay place, and I remember thinking, why are these women so excited for like Little Rock, Arkansas? So had you done that before? Faked them out?
Speaker 1: I would say other things to get I think what Deadwood, South Dakota was another one, which, by the way, you know, here's the thing. Some of these locations were amazing, like Whitefish, Montana, Deadwood. I even liked going to Cleveland, some of these other locations around the country. We would always kind of use the United States is the jumping point typically, and then you would go off overseas and it's just hard because they're so excited because you come in and you say we're about to, you know, begin a jury that will literally take us around the world, when it literally wasn't taking us well.
Speaker 2: Also, some cities just don't have that. Like if you say we're going to Miami, Florida, that has a little more recognizability then New Orleans, Vegas, right, Whitefish, Montana, I'd be like, I mean, I have some Yellowstone. Is it cool? Is it like Yellowstone? So you you did the fake take. They ended up airing the crickets, which was funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm glad they lean into it.
Speaker 2: And sometimes the show wouldn't lean into reality enough. I was sitting watching going like you just said, it's been on for twenty years, Like just lean into and welcome the reality of this reality show because we all know, you know, you don't need to fake us out, Like as if they were excited about.
Speaker 1: Well, and lean into because we're going to show Cleveland in a very good light, right, We're going to show the rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and we get access to and we did. We actually had a great time, and I was there for a few days and hit some great restaurants and I love that area. But it's okay to lean into the joke and then go there and then show how great that's.
Speaker 2: Cause then you're going upward. Yeah, you're on an upward journey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't I mean to have people screaming and yelling that they're going to Minneapolis or Cleveland or Dallas. Like really, it's it's like, come on, we know, we know we're not going to be all that excited compared to like Bora Bora, and but you know, Peter season, we went off and we'd ended up in some great places and.
Speaker 2: What else did you ever have to fake reactions to the most? I think people have probably asked you about this a million times. I'm not sure I ever have, but people always wondered if the lead like remembered everyone during the rows ceremony, for example, I'm thinking of stuff like that. Did you have to reshoot somebody saying names, or like, what did you guys have to reshoot or do a fake take of even though it was a reality show.
Speaker 1: One of the big things that we were always careful of, and we drew this line ourselves, is we would never people always ask did you write the names on the roses? Do they have an IFB which is that little earpiece where the producer would tell you what to say? Or were there que cards? Because how would they remember? We made them memorize the names in order. What they would do is they would choose the list of say ten, fifteen women, whatever it is. Then you would have to memorize as many names as you could. However many Lourens and Kelly's you could memorize, and then you would go out and say it. Then you would stop and leave the room. Producer your handler would have the list and you would go on.
Speaker 2: So they'd memorize like three or four names at a time. Yeah, gotcha.
Speaker 1: Well, and I don't know if people got dumber over the years, but it's funny like back in the day they would go three, four or five people in a row. Then it got to be like two people in a row.
Speaker 2: I think the answer is people got.
Speaker 1: It was really, I mean really it got bad sometimes, like we can't do three names.
Speaker 2: Brad Womack. Was he the one who once infamously said the wrong name when you went out there?
Speaker 1: Well, the most famous one was Jesse Palmer, Oh maybe it was Jesse. Jesse on night one looked at one girl and said the wrong name, and she came up and got a rose, and then he like froze and we left and he's like, I said the wrong name. And then he went back out and was like, look, I didn't mean to give you a rose, but since you got it, do you want to stay? And the girl stayed? Like I think if the girl had any kind of hoofs about her, she would have been like, no, like I'm leaving, But she's like, I want to be on TV again, so I'm gonna stay. But yeah, he's he's the one that infamously said the wrong name.
Speaker 2: So then so you guys chose to put it back on her.
Speaker 1: So yeah, back he goes. He goes, what do I do? And I'm like, well, say say the right name from now on and then go because he offered her, He's like, look, I this is what happened. And it was the right thing to do, but he put it back on her and then. But as far as reshooting stuff, the only time, you know, every now and then very rare. Ken Fuchs was our director. If for some reason we had a bad take or the lighting messed up or whatever, we would maybe have them say it again, but we would never change what happened. Right, Like, if somebody did screw up and say the wrong name or what you would, we would not have fixed that. We would have shown that and then had to correct it with whatever, Jesse, can you.
Speaker 2: Say that wrong name again? We didn't. The lighting wasn't great exactly, We didn't. It was a little dark. The shot okay.
Speaker 1: And the only thing I ever had people do is again they would be so tired in the mornings when I would go in and set up dates and they were just dead. I mean they were so so tired or hungover or whatever, and producers would be like, Hey, can y'all act like you care at all about what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I always used to advise people, even doing like hosting and stuff, you have to like be yourself, but add ten percent like the camera just being on camera, having a screen separating you from a person. You can't just be you like you want to be natural. But you can't just be you as if you're you know, talking to your friend over coffee. You need a little more energy at the table.
Speaker 1: When as years went by, you would you know, we got cheaper and cheaper, you would lose cruise, and so we would often do what's called a clean read, and so they would shoot my stuff first without anybody in the room, and so produce. Usually there'd be like two or three producers sitting on the couch making fun of me, trying to get me to laugh, goofing around, and I would read, you know, do it a couple different ways with an eye with a camera directly at me, and then they could only you know, then that way you can use all the cameras to just shoot the women when we would do it for real and you get the ladies reactions.
Speaker 2: You told me the other day. They used to mess with you during the live shows too.
Speaker 1: They would yeah, because you know, I had I would have an eye be during the live specials or doing the tell, all all those things they you know, and so they would prompt me on certain things and say, okay, next up, talk to Lauren or talk to Kelly or bring her up to the hot seat. But most of the time they would be in my ear trying to get me to crack up, saying really inappropriate stuff when you're on live when I'm on live TV. Yeah, we're on live TV. And they would just they would be, you know, really inappropriate okay, Like I wish I could have had those recordings that would have been great bloopers, you know. And they would often do it very inopportune times if things were really emotional, someone would be crying or it was like a really tense moment and they would try to crack me up.
Speaker 2: And cross your zippers down.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. I was like, do you always drool like that? Or like, do you have you always had a lazy eye? That's weird?
Speaker 2: Like Chris, you're really sweaty, just so you know, man, seek No, you never sweat okay. Getting back to the traveling thing a little bit, to destinations such as Cleveland. I did not watch the show back in the original days, but you didn't always travel. Do you think that it made the show better or worse when you started traveling instead of just filming everything like at the Mansion and locally. How do you think it affected the show overall?
Speaker 1: Well, it made the show better, but it also made it cheaper in a couple of ways because it was Charlie O'Connor.
Speaker 2: So better and cheaper.
Speaker 1: That's a good Charlie O'Connell was a first one where we really traveled and then we stayed. We went to Aruba, and the and the Bord of Tourism in Aruba did a big payout and got us to stay there for the final, for the third when it was down to three, and then the finale and that was the first time we'd ever done that, and it went unbelievably well. They were so excited and then tragically, the Natalie Hollowell case happened.
Speaker 2: Natalie Holloway, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And that happened right and they were it was like they had the high of our show and then that and it was a total disaster. So we felt bad, But that was the first time, and then from then on it started getting bigger and bigger from these resorts and boards of tourism in these countries that were like, yeah, instead of buying a sixty second commercial that no one's going to watch, we're going to bring the bachelor over and have a two hour high definition commercial to millions and millions. You know, at the time it was tens of millions of people, so it was huge. So they would pay us to come over there and shoot, so it was cheaper and allowed us to cause. Look, the other thing is why was the show better? Because after several years of being in la There's only so many times you can go wine tasting, only so many times you can get in a hot air balloon, go to the beach, go to Malibu. You know, there's just not that many locations, and so it got a little tired.
Speaker 2: Well, as a viewer, it was nice because you sort of felt like you were traveling while watching the show. I mean, I like movies that are set in other locations for the same reason. It was aescapist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and people would honestly, back in the day, it was done on such a high level. I don't know, I've heard it's not on this level now. And it was already waning when I was still on the show. We stopped staying at the nicest resort. Yeah, it was really on a budget, and so we weren't showing you the best of these cities, and we weren't going to the nicest places in the world, and so that age and era had stopped. But it was escapism, and these websites of these resorts and countries would crash after the episode aired. It was pretty amazing what the result would be.
Speaker 2: How do you think it affected the relationships? Because here's where my mind goes, and I'm asking you because you just have the scope of you were on it throughout all the different iterations. Like, on the one hand, I think travel is important in a relationship. You got to travel with somebody and see how do we do together when we've missed our flight, and do we like to do the same things when we travel. But then on the other hand, you know, when you've just started dating, you're not typically going to Europe together. So I mean, I guess it could make better TV. People get really swept up in it. How do you think it affected the actual relationship connections?
Speaker 1: It didn't help because they're not traveling together. It's not a real situation where they're traveling together. The bachelor does not fly with the bachelorettes or vice versa. We keep the cast apart, so the lead will travel separately. So you're flying separately, so you don't get to see the angst of being late for a flight, who lost the tickets? Oh my god, you packed five bags and I did a carry on, And then you get to the resort and oh my gosh, this room's really small and the toilet is right there, so you know, who goes to the bathroom and win? And do you go to the lobby? And you know, all those things, all the angst of traveling together. They're not doing that. They're not spending that kind of time together, so it's not that intimacy. They're only getting the time that we allow, and you're only seeing the best parts of that person because we want the bachelor bacherette to look right. So the only time they're seeing each other is when they're on on a seaplane going to a private island that happens to be shaped like a heart and there's a lobster dinner waiting there.
Speaker 2: So I think I missed the episode with the heart shaped island.
Speaker 3: There was one was okay, So it's you know, it's not you know, well, it would have.
Speaker 2: Been funny if like I would still love for them to do this, like do a date like that one time, you know, it's uh, just like going to Cleveland, you know, put them through a rough and tumble travel situation together.
Speaker 1: You have an hour to get to the airport, like.
Speaker 2: Like the Amazing Rates Race meets The Bachelor.
Speaker 1: Totally yeah, and so yeah, it's it's it's the best of travel without the worst of travel. And and so you know, as as you, I agree, you gotta work. You gotta really travel with someone intimately to know someone.
Speaker 2: And that's why you and I went to Cleveland together. Okay, Well that was a fun little trip down memory lane and a little insight into how the behind the scenes of some of those big reality TV moments work. Thank you guys for joining us for another episode of the Playbook here on the Most Dramatic Podcast Ever. We love you, we appreciate you, and we'll talk to you next time because, as always, we have a lot more to talk about.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening. Follow us on Instagram at the Most Dramatic Pod Ever, and make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. I'll talk to you next time.